Round 2: Barrett Jones, OL, 65 302lbs, Alabama
Round 3: DJ Swearinger, S, 511 210 lbs. South Carolina
Round 4: Jonathan Bostic, ILB, 6 1 245lbs, Florida
Round 5: Ray Graham, RB 59 192lbs, Pitt
Round 6: Aaron Mellete, WR, 63 216lbs, Elon
Round 7: Collin Klein, QB, 6 5 218lbs, K State

supersteeler
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Another solid draft with good prospects, I have a TE in mine too. I think they pick one early either your pick or the kid from Notre Dame would be fine with me.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Hey Ov. Is this what you think they will do or what you would like?

lloydroid
02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Sunny and high 70s must mean it is time for yet another mock draft

Round 1: Zach Ertz, TE, 6’6” 252lbs, Stanford
Round 2: Barrett Jones, OL, 6’5” 302lbs, Alabama
Round 3: DJ Swearinger, S, 5’11” 210 lbs. South Carolina
Round 4: Jonathan Bostic, ILB, 6’ 1” 245lbs, Florida
Round 5: Ray Graham, RB 5’9” 192lbs, Pitt
Round 6: Aaron Mellete, WR, 6’3” 216lbs, Elon
Round 7: Collin Klein, QB, 6’ 5” 218lbs, K State

If they take a TE in the 1st round, I am going to quit following them. The guy is supposed to be late first round material. Why would they take him at 17? We desperately need OLB, NT, CB, S, RB, WR help before we should go looking for a TE.

SS Laser
02-11-2013, 07:31 PM
If they take a TE in the 1st round, I am going to quit following them. The guy is supposed to be late first round material. Why would they take him at 17? We desperately need OLB, NT, CB, S, RB, WR help before we should go looking for a TE.

Lets see if you can play civil. Maybe it would be a trade back? Or the Steelers an NFL coaches have him rated higher then the draft media does. It happens all the time. Players do get taken much higher then there draft media grade. I also would not be excited. But it could be a good time to get Millers replacement. Will Miller come back 100%?

D Rock
02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't care what they do, as long as they take a TE in the first round.

Chadman
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Round 1: Zach Ertz, TE, 6’6” 252lbs, Stanford
Round 2: Barrett Jones, OL, 6’5” 302lbs, Alabama
Round 3: DJ Swearinger, S, 5’11” 210 lbs. South Carolina
Round 4: Jonathan Bostic, ILB, 6’ 1” 245lbs, Florida
Round 5: Ray Graham, RB 5’9” 192lbs, Pitt
Round 6: Aaron Mellete, WR, 6’3” 216lbs, Elon
Round 7: Collin Klein, QB, 6’ 5” 218lbs, K State

Don't necessarily agree with the picks, but each one of them has merit. If that is what the Steelers came away with, it'd be hard to argue the result.

Chadman
02-11-2013, 07:43 PM

:) Chadman sees what you did there..

lloydroid
02-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Lets see if you can play civil. Maybe it would be a trade back? Or the Steelers an NFL coaches have him rated higher then the draft media does. It happens all the time. Players do get taken much higher then there draft media grade. I also would not be excited. But it could be a good time to get Millers replacement. Will Miller come back 100%?

All that could be true, but my point is we have much more glaring needs than TE AND that it is quite common for later round - or even undrafted - TEs to do very well. Miller was worth taking with a first round, and it was a glaring need; now, TE is not our most glaring need, even IF Heath isn't 100% (which I feel it is likely he will be considering today's success with ACL surgeries). TE just isn't usually the most critical player. We have virtually no viable backs on the entire roster - not starting quality any how. And even though the passing game is much more dominant in today's game, your #1 RB is still crucial. Well, maybe your #1 and #2 are crucial, depending on your approach, but the point is, 40-some % of all of your plays is going to have the RB with his hands on the ball, so you better have some quality there, much more critical than a TE, especially in Pgh's system and philosophy. I am not saying RB should be taken in the first round, just that taking a TE #1, with this team with so many needs seems insane. Imagine if Harrison and Hampton are gone, which is very possible. Are they going to take a TE over those positions?

DukieBoy
02-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Maybe trade up and take a TE, be sure we get one.

flippy
02-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I've been on board with getting another TE long before 2 TEs were in vogue. I think I've had a first round TE in at least one of my mock drafts every year.

I'd even argue it's one of our biggest needs. Specific positions don't matter as much as improving your team. 2 key areas need to improve. 1. Red Zone efficiency and 2. Pressuring the QB

Take the best players on the board that can help accomplish 1 and 2 and the draft will be a success. Heck, I'd be ok with drafting 2 TEs.

Oviedo
02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Hey Ov. Is this what you think they will do or what you would like?

What I would like. Come April, I'm sure they will enrich the defense early

Oviedo
02-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I've been on board with getting another TE long before 2 TEs were in vogue. I think I've had a first round TE in at least one of my mock drafts every year.

I'd even argue it's one of our biggest needs. Specific positions don't matter as much as improving your team. 2 key areas need to improve. 1. Red Zone efficiency and 2. Pressuring the QB

Take the best players on the board that can help accomplish 1 and 2 and the draft will be a success. Heck, I'd be ok with drafting 2 TEs.

That was essentially my thinking. Everyone automatically equates receiver to WR. Not me. Who was our leading receiver last year? A player like Ertz or Eifert would be worth a Round 1 pick. Great if we can trade down but we talk that every year and it rarely happens. Both of the TEs mentioned would be impact players in Year 1. Isn't that what we want from a Round 1 pick?

Sugar
02-11-2013, 09:06 PM
That was essentially my thinking. Everyone automatically equates receiver to WR. Not me. Who was our leading receiver last year? A player like Ertz or Eifert would be worth a Round 1 pick. Great if we can trade down but we talk that every year and it rarely happens. Both of the TEs mentioned would be impact players in Year 1. Isn't that what we want from a Round 1 pick?

Why yes, sir, it is!

lloydroid
02-11-2013, 09:09 PM

Hypothetically, let's say we do lose/not re-sign Starks, Hampton, Harrison, Wallace, Mendenhall, Colon, Lewis, which is certainly possible ALL could be the case. With that understanding, do you STILL go with TE in round 1? I understand the possible value of a play making TE, but imagine the larger holes we will have considering who we will be losing. I say take the absolute best possible producer but with the exception of QB, TE, C and that's about it. Every other position could be in play round 1. At 17, we could still nab a difference maker.

Sugar
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Hypothetically, let's say we do lose/not re-sign Starks, Hampton, Harrison, Wallace, Mendenhall, Colon, Lewis, which is certainly possible ALL could be the case. With that understanding, do you STILL go with TE in round 1? I understand the possible value of a play making TE, but imagine the larger holes we will have considering who we will be losing. I say take the absolute best possible producer but with the exception of QB, TE, C and that's about it. Every other position could be in play round 1. At 17, we could still nab a difference maker.

However, a TE is good for production in the passing game AND production in the passing game if you get the right one.

Steelhere10
02-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Only 2 wr under contract and with the safety issues, I serious doubt that the first pick will not be the Texas safety or the two wr's from TN or Cal. I'm so sure that I'm willing to take bets. If either three is there I bet 100 dollars guaranteed. lol

Chadman
02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Only 2 wr under contract and with the safety issues, I serious doubt that the first pick will not be the Texas safety or the two wr's from TN or Cal. I'm so sure that I'm willing to take bets. If either three is there I bet 100 dollars guaranteed. lol

Might be right about the Safety, but not the Texas one.

SteelCrazy
02-11-2013, 11:08 PM
When we draft for need in the 1st round and not the BPA we'll become the Browns.

MeetJoeGreene
02-11-2013, 11:24 PM

Round 1: Zach Ertz, TE, 66 252lbs, Stanford

That is a remarkably cogent and comprehensive mock draft whose foundational premises address the Steelers multitudinous deficiencies while providing substantive depth at several essential positions.

lloydroid
02-11-2013, 11:41 PM
When we draft for need in the 1st round and not the BPA we'll become the Browns.

What do you mean? Are you trying to say Troy Edwards wasn't an excellent first round pick?

Thing is, if we had just one major need, you'd have a point, but with help needed at OG, OT, NT, RB, WR, S, CB, LB - we have so many places of need that we can get both a need player and BPA.

grotonsteel
02-12-2013, 12:43 AM

Good Draft Ovi...

I like the TE pick...I think it will help Ben stay upright...I prefer a pass-catching TE over O-line in Rd 1.

I like DJ Swearinger but i think he goes for head hunting a bit too much(maybe only in highlights). But i like his aggressive play. Steleers D need that swagger.

I was watching video of Tenn WRs (Justin Hunter and Cordelle Patterson) but i believe Da'Rick Rodgers is crazy talent. He plays nasty for a WR. He will instantly bring toughness to Steelers WR corp. I would take him over Barrett Jones in Rd 2. WR corp of AB84-Sanders-Cotchery is not going to get respect in NFL.

I don't know much about Rd 6 - 7 players but love Bostic and Graham from Pitt.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-12-2013, 01:13 AM

You mention need at WR. These days the right TE can be the same or even better than drafting a WR.

Oviedo
02-12-2013, 08:15 AM
You mention need at WR. These days the right TE can be the same or even better than drafting a WR.

Exactly. A big athletic TE is more of a match up challenge than a WR for many teams.

supersteeler
02-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Exactly. A big athletic TE is more of a match up challenge than a WR for many teams.

Yep, LB's have issues matching up in pass coverage on TE's, Gronk is a good example of that. I would take it a step further in saying a TE might be more conducive to the type of offense Haley wants to run.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
If we could get someone like Gronk, and Heath came back healthy, this offense could be a powerhouse.

Oviedo
02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
If we could get someone like Gronk, and Heath came back healthy, this offense could be a powerhouse.

I think Eifert and Ertz are probably more somewhere in the middle of a combination of Gronk and Hernandez. I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday gamedays.

flippy
02-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I think Eifert and Ertz are probably more somewhere in the middle of a combination of Gronk and Hernandez. I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday gamedays.

I always like baseball doubleheaders as a kid. Wonder if the NFL would ever do it? That'd be the most fantastic Sunday ever.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Both of the TEs mentioned would be impact players in Year 1. Isn't that what we want from a Round 1 pick?

Getting an impact player in year 1 seems to be your primary criteria for your first round pick, but not mine.

Just look at the last two Troys that we drafted in the first round.

Troy #1 was an impact player in year 1 (61 catches for 714 yards and 5 TD's), while Troy #2 was not an impact player in year 1 (no starts, 30 tackles). Over the long haul, as we all know, one is viewed as a bust, while the other is viewed as a Hall of Famer.

My primary criteria for a 1st round pick is excellence over the long haul, regardless of whether or not the player makes an immediate impact. The biggest leap in a player's career should take place between his first and second season...whatever we get out of a guy during his rookie campaign is icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, this is not a knock on the Ertz pick whatsoever (in fact, he was in my first trade-down mock draft)...I like the idea of getting him in a trade down in the first or a trade up in the second, since I see Ertz and Eifert as borderline 1st/2nd round guys. I can't envision a scenario where a TE is the best player available at 17 if we stay there.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2013, 03:05 PM
However, a TE is good for production in the passing game AND production in the passing game if you get the right one.

Whoa...production in the passing game AND production in the passing game...that should give us a heck of a passing game! ;) (yeah, I know you meant passing game AND running game, but I just couldn't let that one slide).

Oviedo
02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Getting an impact player in year 1 seems to be your primary criteria for your first round pick, but not mine.

Just look at the last two Troys that we drafted in the first round.

Troy #1 was an impact player in year 1 (61 catches for 714 yards and 5 TD's), while Troy #2 was not an impact player in year 1 (no starts, 30 tackles). Over the long haul, as we all know, one is viewed as a bust, while the other is viewed as a Hall of Famer.

My primary criteria for a 1st round pick is excellence over the long haul, regardless of whether or not the player makes an immediate impact. The biggest leap in a player's career should take place between his first and second season...whatever we get out of a guy during his rookie campaign is icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, this is not a knock on the Ertz pick whatsoever (in fact, he was in my first trade-down mock draft)...I like the idea of getting him in a trade down in the first or a trade up in the second, since I see Ertz and Eifert as borderline 1st/2nd round guys. I can't envision a scenario where a TE is the best player available at 17 if we stay there.

Obviously I'm not looking for a player to contribute in Year 1 and then vanish like Troy E. However, I don't accept the fact that a player needs to be invisible in Year 1 either as a trade off for future success. There is no way Troy P. shouldn't have played in year 1 except for the attitude of the Def Coord. Was there really a better DB on the team Troy P's rookie year?

Slapstick
02-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Obviously I'm not looking for a player to contribute in Year 1 and then vanish like Troy E. However, I don't accept the fact that a player needs to be invisible in Year 1 either as a trade off for future success. There is no way Troy P. shouldn't have played in year 1 except for the attitude of the Def Coord. Was there really a better DB on the team Troy P's rookie year?

Yes. Troy was not great his rookie year.

Oviedo
02-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Please tell me which of the following was a better player at Safety that Troy should not of played significant time? BTW whoever it was they must not have been too good for that great 6-10 team.

27 Brent Alexander FS
28 Chris Hope FS
29 Chidi Iwuoma CB
31 Mike Logan SS
43 Troy Polamalu SS
30 Chad Scott CB
33 Russell Stuvaints SS
24 Ike Taylor CB
26 Deshea Townsend CB
20 Dewayne Washington CB

phillyesq
02-12-2013, 04:34 PM

Absolutely right. His rookie year he took a while to adjust to the game and often looked slow when he was on the field (due to the adjustment time), hence the "Bustamalu" label.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Love this TE... however, i wouldnt' take him in the 1st. We got bigger fish to fry...

SteelerOfDeVille
02-12-2013, 05:03 PM
I about puked when they drafted Troy E... was certain they'd take Jevon kearse....

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
I about puked when they drafted Troy E... was certain they'd take Jevon kearse....

I knew Torry Holt would be gone, so I was hoping for David Boston (D'Oh). When Boston was off the board, I was looking at either Kearse or OT John Tait. The Edwards pick truly shocked me right away (not with 20/20 hindsight).

ikestops85
02-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Ovi, I love the picks. I have been pointing towards Ertz as our 1st rounder for some time now. It would be great if we could trade back and still take him. Only if there is a dominant pass rusher still on the board would I pass up Ertz.

I also like the 7th rounder Klein. His play is spotty at times but dynamic at other times. He could mature into a good solid backup.

BigRob
02-12-2013, 07:43 PM
If they take a TE in the 1st round, I am going to quit following them.

Would show you to be the type of fan we know you to really be.

Oviedo
02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Would show you to be the type of fan we know you to really be.

BTW BR--like your mock in your sig. Would prefer to see a RB somewhere

SteelCrazy
02-12-2013, 09:20 PM
What do you mean? Are you trying to say Troy Edwards wasn't an excellent first round pick?

Thing is, if we had just one major need, you'd have a point, but with help needed at OG, OT, NT, RB, WR, S, CB, LB - we have so many places of need that we can get both a need player and BPA.

Those "needs" is your opinion and not necessarily the Steelers opinion.