PDA

View Full Version : The O-Line ... changes in store

SteelCrazy
02-10-2013, 12:02 PM
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers offensive line will have a different look in 2013, not just in personnel but also in execution.

At least, that is the intent of offensive coordinator Todd Haley and the team's new offensive line coach, Jack Bicknell Jr.

And for good reason.

If the Steelers are interested in running the ball more effectively -- something that didn't happen in 2012 -- they might have to do more than change the people who are blocking up front. They might have to change how they are blocking, too.

And that also would mean finding the right type of running back to fit the schemes that are being employed.

Despite a change in roster makeup to emphasize running the ball better, the Steelers went the other way last season, averaging just 3.7 yards per carry on the ground after averaging 4.4 yards per pop with basically the same personnel in 2011.

Offensive lines are sometimes graded on the protection they afford their quarterback, and, at times, that was much better in 2012 than it has been, especially in two of the games when Charlie Batch had to replace Ben Roethlisberger.

But the true measure of how a line performs is often determined by how effectively a team runs the ball. And that is something the Steelers did not do very well in 2012, other than a three-game span in the middle of the season when they had three consecutive games with a 100-yard rusher -- something the team had not done in five years.

Haley and Bicknell would like to change that. And they will start with injecting more youth, more athleticism and less girth in the offensive line.

When Haley was the head coach in Kansas City, the Chiefs had the league's No. 1 rushing attack with an offensive line that averaged less than 300 pounds. And, in an interview last week on the Steelers website, Bicknell said he doesn't like offensive linemen "who get huge and then they can't bend and move." He said he wants players who can move, run and have the quickness off the ball "to get into people."

That's one of the reasons the Steelers are expected to part ways with Max Starks, who was arguably the team's best lineman in 2012 and the only one to play every snap. Tackles are responsible for allowing running backs to get to the edge and bounce outside, and how many times did you see a Steelers running back do that last season?

That is also not a good fit for guard Willie Colon, who was too thick to move at the team's top pulling spot. Colon, though, is not expected back because of his repeated injury problems.

Their expected departure will pave the way for the Steelers to start an offensive line that could have four, and possibly five, starters under the age of 26.

Marcus Gilbert, who missed 12 games last season with an ankle ligament tear, will likely replace Starks at left tackle. He will be 25 on Friday. Mike Adams, last year's No. 2 pick who missed the final five games with an ankle injury, is expected to start at right tackle. The Steelers do not want to use him at left tackle because Adams has had problems in pass protection -- something the Steelers cannot afford on Roethlisberger's blind side. Adams, though, is a very good run blocker and was the starter at right tackle when the Steelers had three consecutive 100-yard rushers. He is 22.

The team is set with Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, 23, and right guard David DeCastro, 23, who missed most of the 2012 season with a knee injury. Pouncey (6-4, 304) and DeCastro (6-5, 316) epitomize the long, lean body type the Steelers seek to employ on the offensive line.

The only question is at left guard, where 330-pound Ramon Foster finished the season as the starter.

Foster, though, does not run very well and is not an ideal fit for the team's primary pulling position. Plus, like Starks, he is an unrestricted free agent and might not be re-signed. That could pave the way for tackle Kelvin Beachum, last year's seventh-round pick, to be moved there.

In a season of injuries to many of their draft choices, Beachum was one of the team's most pleasant surprises. Not only did he impress the coaches with his ability to pass protect, he also showed an ability to get out of the edge and run block -- something the coaches want to see more of in 2013.

Beachum, 23, fits in perfectly with the team's desire to have lighter, more agile offensive lineman, and he could be moved to guard and given a chance to play there.

Doug Legurksy, who has started 17 games in his four-year career, would be re-signed to be the backup at center and guard. Legursky is also an unrestricted free agent.

But it might not just be a change in personnel that will affect the look of the offensive line.

The Steelers have been a man-blocking team almost exclusively since Chuck Noll ran the tackle-trap play in the 1970s. But Noll did that with smaller, quicker linemen who could move off the ball and use their quickness to execute blocks.

Today, most of the top running teams in the NFL use a zone-blocking scheme that requires the offensive lineman to block an area, not a specific man. Among them are Kansas City, Washington, Denver and Houston.

Bicknell used a zone-blocking scheme last season with the Chiefs, who finished fifth in the league in rushing after leading the NFL in 2011. Bicknell said the Chiefs used a zone-blocking scheme because they had a running back, Jamaal Charles, who liked to run outside-zone plays.

If the Steelers change to a zone-blocking scheme, then it will be imperative to find the type of running back who is patient, stretches the play and has good cutback instincts.

Right now, the Steelers' top running backs, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, are physical backs who run inside and are more tailored to gap runs in a man-blocking scheme. Rashard Mendenhall and Chris Rainey are examples of running backs who can threaten the edge and are more suited to zone-blocking schemes. But Rainey is already gone and Mendenhall is expected to follow.

That will either force the Steelers to find a back to fit a zone-scheme style or continue with a man-blocking attack that suits Redman and Dwyer.

It will all be part of the change that is due to come on the offensive line.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-the-offensive-line-changes-in-store-674173/#ixzz2KVqX6Z7A

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Sure, Max weighs more than Gilbert, because Max is 2-3 inches taller than Gilbert. But Gilbert is "fatter" than Max. Seems to me that Beachum, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Adams all fit the body style that they are looking for, but Gilbert does not. If Gilbert trims down a bit, perhaps he wouldn't hurt his fellow o-linemen so much when he falls on them.

In my first mock of the year, I included J.C. Tretter from my alma mater Cornell as a later round pick. If Beachum starts, then Tretter could fill that Trai-Essex-like role that we envisioned for Beachum (he's smart, versatile, and fits the more trim, athletic OL body style instead of the massive road grader guards that we've had in the past).

I liked Larry Warford from Kentucky as a day two target, but he's one of those big fellas that we may now like to avoid. The team may not fret if Warmack is off the board...they may prefer someone like UNC's Cooper instead (who seems to be the forgotten 1st round guard prospect). At tackle, Joeckel and Fisher should be long gone by the time we pick, but OU's Lane Johnson seems to fit this new scheme much better than Gilbert.

I've noted previously that I prefer Gio Bernard to Eddie Lacy, and if we are going to a K.C./Houston/Washington/Denver style zone blocking scheme that requires a one-cut runner, then Bernard is the guy that we'd take if he were available in round 2 over Lacy, who is more the style of Steeler backs past.

lloydroid
02-10-2013, 02:13 PM
When Haley was the head coach in Kansas City, the Chiefs had the league's No. 1 rushing attack with an offensive line that averaged less than 300 pounds. And, in an interview last week on the Steelers website, Bicknell said he doesn't like offensive linemen "who get huge and then they can't bend and move." He said he wants players who can move, run and have the quickness off the ball "to get into people."

I have been saying this for years. Why didn't the freaking Steelers realize this sooner?

D Rock
02-10-2013, 07:21 PM
I have been saying this for years. Why didn't the freaking Steelers realize this sooner?

Because you're too smart. Those numbskulls who know next to nothing about football can't keep up with you.

supersteeler
02-10-2013, 07:55 PM

K.C. and Haley had Jamaal Charles at RB, makes a big difference.

Chadman
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Because you're too smart. Those numbskulls who know next to nothing about football can't keep up with you.

We're not worthy!

We're not worthy!!

DukieBoy
02-10-2013, 08:39 PM

Maybe people ought to start listening to him, resist the Psychogenetic Fallacy. What is wrong with those of unlike minds?

ikestops85
02-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Uh, maybe because they were trying to deal with the massive defensive linemen in our division. I really thought they tried to go to the zone blocking scheme before which royally ticked off Faneca. Isn't that when he tried to start a mutiny on the offensive line because his buddy, Grimm, wasn't given the head coaching job and they were changing the blocking scheme?

lloydroid
02-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Well...yea.

Oviedo
02-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Uh, maybe because they were trying to deal with the massive defensive linemen in our division. I really thought they tried to go to the zone blocking scheme before which royally ticked off Faneca. Isn't that when he tried to start a mutiny on the offensive line because his buddy, Grimm, wasn't given the head coaching job and they were changing the blocking scheme?

Faneca was a prima dona douche who thought he was special and should get whatever he wanted including his motorcycle riding buddy to be the Head Coach.

lloydroid
02-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Yea, Faneca was very good, but his angry red-headed step child routine was not very positive. Grimm STILL has no head coaching job.

lloydroid
02-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Faneca was a prima dona douche who thought he was special and should get whatever he wanted including his motorcycle riding buddy to be the Head Coach.

Yup. He was a freaking baby who threw tantrums. What a douche.

ikestops85
02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Yea, Faneca was very good, but his angry red-headed step child routine was not very positive. Grimm STILL has no head coaching job.

I think you missed my main point which was we went to the zone blocking scheme and our running game immediately began to deteriorate.

Oviedo
02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
I think you missed my main point which was we went to the zone blocking scheme and our running game immediately began to deteriorate.

No, our running game deteriorted when we had a Hall of Fame RB retire who probably made our OL look much better than they were. IMO Bettis made Cowher look prettty good. If Cowher tried to have the offense he had with any RB other than Bettis he would have been a very average coach.

We were lucky to have a once in a generation talent in Bettis who combined size and agility like he did.

phillyesq
02-12-2013, 02:11 PM
No, our running game deteriorted when we had a Hall of Fame RB retire who probably made our OL look much better than they were. IMO Bettis made Cowher look prettty good. If Cowher tried to have the offense he had with any RB other than Bettis he would have been a very average coach.

We were lucky to have a once in a generation talent in Bettis who combined size and agility like he did.

No doubt we were lucky to have Bettis, but Cowher had success before Bettis as well. The Morris/Pegram combo was effective for a while, and FWP was a huge part of the SB team.

ikestops85
02-12-2013, 05:54 PM

Granted we were lucky to have a talent like Bettis play for us but you can't discount the O-line we had his last 2 years. The O-line in 2004 was one of the best run blocking lines we have had in Pittsburgh. They used Ben to help get a lead and then we would run, run, and run some more. Opponents knew we were going to run but they still couldn't stop us. That was the amazing thing about them. Staley was having an excellent year until he got hurt. Remember Bettis was just the short yardage back that year. Even the next year we started Parker and Bettis was the change of pace back we had a very good running game. Even in 2006 with Bettis retired Parker ran for close to 1500 yards and 13 TDs.

Then in 2007 Larry Zierlein was hired and he tried to institute a zone blocking scheme. Faneca didn't like it so I think they kept a lot of man blocking for that year and we ran okay. The next year with Faneca gone and the zone blocking scheme in place our run game started spiralling downhill and has not recovered.

BigRob
02-12-2013, 07:41 PM
According to Wexell, Steelers have incorporated zone reads into their scheme for years. The biggest difference, and one I like, is the type of o-linemen we have utilized lately.

I'm all for more athletic 0-linemen. The top running teams in the league have the athletic o-linemen. You also have to have the right running back. This leads me to believe we will take one that fits this scheme better. Randle from OK. State perhaps?

Chadman
02-12-2013, 09:12 PM
According to Wexell, Steelers have incorporated zone reads into their scheme for years. The biggest difference, and one I like, is the type of o-linemen we have utilized lately.

I'm all for more athletic 0-linemen. The top running teams in the league have the athletic o-linemen. You also have to have the right running back. This leads me to believe we will take one that fits this scheme better. Randle from OK. State perhaps?

Randle looks very promising, Ellington looks damn fine too.

Larry Z tried to incorporate a ZBS with an OL designed to block for Jerome Bettis. If there is 1 critisism of Tomlin that Chadman can lay at his feet, it's that they should have known right away that the big fat maulers that were leftovers from Cowher, were not ZBS Olinemen. There's nothing wrong with a ZBS, there's nothing wrong with a Man Block system. You just have to have ther right guys to run it.

Looks like the Steelers will lose Mendenhall at the wrong time- the way he runs, a good ZBS would probably make him more effective. Man Blocking schemes are generally designed to build a power run heavy offense. Mendenhall simply isn't that type of RB, and would flourish if allowed to run outside of the "Inside Zone" more often.

Concerningly though... if Mendy leaves, and Redman & Dwyer are RBs 1 & 2...they are power runners... and more suited to Man Blocking...

BigRob
02-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Randle looks very promising, Ellington looks damn fine too.

Larry Z tried to incorporate a ZBS with an OL designed to block for Jerome Bettis. If there is 1 critisism of Tomlin that Chadman can lay at his feet, it's that they should have known right away that the big fat maulers that were leftovers from Cowher, were not ZBS Olinemen. There's nothing wrong with a ZBS, there's nothing wrong with a Man Block system. You just have to have ther right guys to run it.

Looks like the Steelers will lose Mendenhall at the wrong time- the way he runs, a good ZBS would probably make him more effective. Man Blocking schemes are generally designed to build a power run heavy offense. Mendenhall simply isn't that type of RB, and would flourish if allowed to run outside of the "Inside Zone" more often.

Concerningly though... if Mendy leaves, and Redman & Dwyer are RBs 1 & 2...they are power runners... and more suited to Man Blocking...

Apparently they still ran some zone concepts with Kugler. It will be interesting to see if they can actually develop a decent o-line.

I think they have to be more concerned with run blocking because Roethlisberger is not going to allow you a great pass blocking line.

The good news is that a vicious play action game (ala a successful running game) would make Big Ben lethal.

calmkiller
02-13-2013, 04:30 PM
The only change that needs to take place on the Oline is for it be healthy and stay healthy. We have 4 top picks on the line and every single one of them missed time last year due to injury.

Slapstick
02-13-2013, 08:35 PM
The Steelers incorporated zone blocking concepts back when Duce Staley joined the team because he liked running behind zone blocking....they changed the scheme to fit the player and were successful until he was injured...

They never fully moved away from it...

The run blocking was fine with Zierlein...Willie Parker was leading the league and Mendenhall also had good seasons....

feltdizz
02-14-2013, 10:11 AM
The only change that needs to take place on the Oline is for it be healthy and stay healthy. We have 4 top picks on the line and every single one of them missed time last year due to injury.

This^^^

If Gilbert doesn't fall on people and realizes the difference between hurt and injured we should be fine. Better yet..keep him on the sideline.

I actually liked the OL when Pouncey moved to G and Legs was the C.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2013, 02:17 AM
Steelers talk with Foster’s agent before free agency opens

March 9th, 2013
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2013/01/Ramon.jpeg

Steelers guard Ramon Foster is an unrestricted free agent.

The Steelers had contract discussions with Ramon Foster’s agent, Joel Segal, on Thursday and will eventually make the unrestricted free agent offensive lineman an offer once the organization gets a better grasp on their current finances, said a source with knowledge of the meeting.

However, that offer may come too late and significantly under market value in order to retain Foster. Arizona, Chicago and Tennessee have shown interest in the 27-year-old guard. The N.Y. Giants could also be a potential suitor if they can’t re-sign Kevin Boothe.

Because of a new rule, agents are allowed to start formal talks with other teams starting three days before the start of the new NFL calendar year (12:01 a.m. Saturday) which is set for 4 p.m. Tuesday.

No signing can be announced until the opening of free agency if a deal is reached.

The 6-foot-5, 325-pound Foster has been a regular on the Steelers offensive line since being an undrafted rookie out of Tennessee in 2009.

Foster started 30 consecutive games at guard and 42 of 44 including Super Bowl XLV since being inserted into the lineup for a Week 10 game against the Patriots in 2010.

Foster has been extremely durable at a position that’s been injury prone for the Steelers in recent years. Foster missed only the second half of the season-opener against Denver with a severe headache before playing the final 966 snaps of the year at right guard.

According to ProFootballFocus, Foster allowed only two sacks the entire season – the least of all Steelers starters.

Foster signed a 1-year tender for $1.26 million last year as a restricted free agent after not getting much interest on the open market. He became expendable when the Steelers used a first round draft pick on right guard David DeCastro and decided to move Willie Colon and his recently signed 5-year, $29 million contract to left guard within a month of each other.

However, Foster started all 16 games last year when DeCastro was injured during the preseason.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/03/09/steelers-talk-with-fosters-agent-before-free-agency-opens/#.UTqsheHnmOc.twitter

flippy
03-09-2013, 07:20 AM
This is where I think everyone fits except Gliby. Could possibly move Adams to LT and Beachum at RT and find a LG. But I don't think Adams is a fit at LT either.

Ultimately this is why I can see the Steelers taking a look at LTs in this draft. Usually you've gotta be in the top 10 if you want a premiere LT and we're not usually this close. And there's a couple of good potential LTs. I think one could fall.

BigRob
03-09-2013, 02:39 PM
K.C. and Haley had Jamaal Charles at RB, makes a big difference.

He also had Thomas Jones who ran very well behind the same line.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-09-2013, 04:01 PM
so foster allowed only 2 sacks in 16 games playing 2 different positions.

I would say that's outstanding value for a 1.27 million dollar investment. Just a shame some here won't give this kid some credit. I hoe he goes elsewhere so the "experts" can find someone else to blame when the offense stinks.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-09-2013, 05:00 PM
so foster allowed only 2 sacks in 16 games playing 2 different positions.

I would say that's outstanding value for a 1.27 million dollar investment. Just a shame some here won't give this kid some credit. I hoe he goes elsewhere so the "experts" can find someone else to blame when the offense stinks.
I hope he stays. The way we lose O-linemen to injury, we'd better have a lot of bodies who can play.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Could any of these guys surprise us?

72 Cheadle, Justin OG 6-2 290 23 R California
71 Long, Joe T 6-5 304 23 R Wayne State (MI)
62 Malecki, John OG 6-2 298 24 1 Pittsburgh

supersteeler
03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Could any of these guys surprise us?

72 Cheadle, Justin OG 6-2 290 23 R California
71 Long, Joe T 6-5 304 23 R Wayne State (MI)
62 Malecki, John OG 6-2 298 24 1 Pittsburgh

Possibly, but with no snaps or not enough of them we'll never know. When camp breaks that will be the time for these guys to show the coaches what they can do in combination of the pre-season. Sometimes you could have a diamond in the rough sitting on the bench...play em and lets see.

If it wasn't for the injuries Beachum might not of had a chance to show what he can do, now he at least showed he could compete for a starting role and worse be a decent backup

lloydroid
03-09-2013, 05:53 PM
This^^^

If Gilbert doesn't fall on people and realizes the difference between hurt and injured we should be fine. Better yet..keep him on the sideline.

I actually liked the OL when Pouncey moved to G and Legs was the C.

If they would start hitting free weights, instead of just using wussy machines, they would fair much better on the injury front.

hawaiiansteel
03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
The Line On The Steelers Offensive Line and It’s New Coach

March 28th, 2013
Written By: Steve Kimble

On January 29, 2013 the Pittsburgh Steelers hired new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. So what’s the line on the Steelers offensive line and it’s new Coach?

Here is a little back ground on Jack Bicknell Jr. to help us gain a little insight on what changes may come and what he may bring to the Steelers offensive line.

Bicknell was the starting center for Boston College and was part of one of the most historic plays in college football history when he snapped the ball to QB Doug Flutie in the famous Hail Mary play to beat Miami 47-45 in 1984. Bicknell’s father Jack Bicknell was Boston College’s head coach at the time.

Jack Bicknell Jr. began coaching as a graduate assistant at Boston College. He later coached at New Hampshire with stints coaching the defensive line and offensive line. From 1999-2006 he was head coach of the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs with a total record of 43-52.

Bicknell began his NFL coaching career as an assistant offensive line coach on the New York Giants in 2008 and was part of the 2011 Super Bowl Champions. The offensive line that season allowed only 28 quarterback sacks.

In 2012 Bicknell moved on to Kansas City to become the Chiefs offensive line coach and that line excelled at a high level run blocking. The Chiefs’ ran the ball for an average of 4.8 yards as a team and ranked 5th in rushing in 2012.

Jamal Charles, the Chiefs’ feature running back, had a great year averaging 5.3 yards a carry for 1509 yards and 5 TDS, and the Chiefs played against some of the NFL’s top run defenses such as division foes San Diego and Denver each twice.

The Steelers have tried the past few seasons to improve their running game and line play so you can see why a guy like Bicknell Jr. may have intrigued them.

Here are a couple quotes from Steelers coach Mike Tomlin following Bicknell’s hiring…

“Obviously Jamaal Charles is a talented runner but when you look at their tape, there are running lanes. They did a nice job of not only getting hats on hats, but the technique with which they executed those blocks, and the demeanor they displayed individually and collectively in how they finished plays were attractive coaching aspects of the tape.”

“They played the AFC North, and they ran the ball very well against all the teams in the AFC North . They ran the ball effectively against us when Jamaal Charles had a 100-yard game. That was attractive to me. The plan they were able to put together, the success they were able to have vs. some people we are going to see quite a bit was a selling feature.”

The Chiefs averaged 6.9 yards a carry against the Browns, 4.3 against the Bengals, 4.2 against the Ravens and 4.1 against the Steelers. Those are good rushing averages against some stout defenses.

So Tomlin had some good reasons for his choice of Bicknell and it falls in line with the Steelers emphasis to establish a more consistent productive running game.

Bicknell by all accounts is a coach who stresses technique, likes his players smart and well prepared and wants athletic, quick footed players that move well and can make changes on the fly.

Hopefully Bicknell’s fondness for technique and players being well prepared will result in fewer pre-snap penalties, they seemed to plague the Steelers last season.

Bicknell seems to be a big fan of zone blocking schemes and stretch plays. These type of schemes and plays require quick mobile linemen. It’s easy to see how this hire may have spelled doom for players such as Willie Colon, Max Starks, and Doug Legursky, and their future as Steelers while also playing to the strengths of players such as Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, and Mike Adams. Three players that seem to be the future core of the Steelers offensive line .

So you see many changes have taken place with the Steelers’ offensive line and its coaching philosophies. It’s this writer’s opinion that the hiring of Jack Bicknell Jr. was a definite step in the right direction.

http://www.steelersgab.com/2013/03/28/the-line-on-the-steelers-offensive-line-and-its-new-coach/

supersteeler
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Here are a couple quotes from Steelers coach Mike Tomlin following Bicknell’s hiring…

“Obviously Jamaal Charles is a talented runner but when you look at their tape, there are running lanes. They did a nice job of not only getting hats on hats, but the technique with which they executed those blocks, and the demeanor they displayed individually and collectively in how they finished plays were attractive coaching aspects of the tape.

Ok I got it, now if we use the zone blocking exclusively will those lanes still be there when your back is lined up so far behind the LOS?

papillon
03-29-2013, 03:20 PM

“Obviously Jamaal Charles is a talented runner but when you look at their tape, there are running lanes. They did a nice job of not only getting hats on hats, but the technique with which they executed those blocks, and the demeanor they displayed individually and collectively in how they finished plays were attractive coaching aspects of the tape.

Ok I got it, now if we use the zone blocking exclusively will those lanes still be there when your back is lined up so far behind the LOS?

The depth of the back isn't really the issue, it's the quality of the back running the ball. Many backs including Tony Dorsett, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Jerome Bettis liked being lined up deep to be able to read the blocks and make cuts. Other backs like being given the ball 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and run where the hole is supposed to be and then use their vision to turn a 4 yard gain into 10 or more.

You have to tailor the set to the talents of your back, lining up 7 yards deep in the "I" formation is a popular set for many backs, just not the Steelers' backs in my opinion and especially now that Mendenhall is gone.

Pappy

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Terrific, so because things worked 20 years ago they obviously still work now.

Hint: It's now 2013.

jj28west
03-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Great synopsis.

Granted we were lucky to have a talent like Bettis play for us but you can't discount the O-line we had his last 2 years. The O-line in 2004 was one of the best run blocking lines we have had in Pittsburgh. They used Ben to help get a lead and then we would run, run, and run some more. Opponents knew we were going to run but they still couldn't stop us. That was the amazing thing about them. Staley was having an excellent year until he got hurt. Remember Bettis was just the short yardage back that year. Even the next year we started Parker and Bettis was the change of pace back we had a very good running game. Even in 2006 with Bettis retired Parker ran for close to 1500 yards and 13 TDs.

Then in 2007 Larry Zierlein was hired and he tried to institute a zone blocking scheme. Faneca didn't like it so I think they kept a lot of man blocking for that year and we ran okay. The next year with Faneca gone and the zone blocking scheme in place our run game started spiralling downhill and has not recovered.

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 01:16 AM
People are still buying the lie that Faneca was the reason they did what they did in 2007?

LOL

NorthCoast
03-31-2013, 10:57 AM
The depth of the back isn't really the issue, it's the quality of the back running the ball. Many backs including Tony Dorsett, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Jerome Bettis liked being lined up deep to be able to read the blocks and make cuts. Other backs like being given the ball 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and run where the hole is supposed to be and then use their vision to turn a 4 yard gain into 10 or more.

You have to tailor the set to the talents of your back, lining up 7 yards deep in the "I" formation is a popular set for many backs, just not the Steelers' backs in my opinion and especially now that Mendenhall is gone.

Pappy

I agree Pappy. Mendenhall never had the vision in traffic. Sure, he made some good runs when the lanes were wide open. His best runs between the tackles come from following the FB. When he is on his own to pick a hole, he wasnt nearly as good. You can see his indecision on plenty of runs.