PDA

View Full Version : Is the March Massacre coming to the Steelers ?

supersteeler
02-07-2013, 06:48 PM
.Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents
Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on February 7, 2013 - 12:17pm
How did the Pittsburgh Steelers get into this situation? The usually fiscally sound organization has fallen on hard times with the salary cap.

The philosophy of pushing money into the future ended with the new CBA, and the Steelers are at the front of the line for paying back it’s long due credit line.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, if you thought last year was tough, this year will be brutal.
He’s referring to the impending slashing of veterans as the “March Massacre.” Pittsburgh’s GM Kevin Colbert gave an indication in January that major changes were going to happen, but no one expected what Bouchette is envisioning:

“The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents, and they might have to lose a few more veterans if they don’t agree to take less money in 2013, they are so far over the salary cap that they would not be able to fill a 53-man roster without doing all of that,” Bouchette said.

Bouchette continues:

“The bloodletting that occurred last year when they released three longtime stars could be a drop in the bucket as to what occurs over the next month, which could resemble their March Massacre.”

Looks like many players will be shaking in their boots, and it appears the Steelers FO is very serious.

Dee Dub
02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Two things, Ed Bouchette is in the selling news paper business. And second, those three long time veterans the released last year?....they personally did not want them to return. Had nothing to do with money.

supersteeler
02-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Two things, Ed Bouchette is in the selling news paper business. And second, those three long time veterans the released last year?....they personally did not want them to return. Had nothing to do with money.

That was last year, this year is a different story as they are strapped financially. To become cap compliant, there will be changes in the roster and contracts reworked for the ones who want to remain a Steeler.

NW Steeler
02-07-2013, 07:41 PM
The only free agent I am concerned about is Keenan Lewis.

Shawn
02-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I actually see Troy, Harrison, Mendenhall, and Wallace gone right out of the gates.

Shawn
02-07-2013, 07:42 PM
The only free agent I am concerned about is Keenan Lewis.

Him and Foster of me.

NW Steeler
02-07-2013, 07:43 PM
I actually see Troy, Harrison, Mendenhall, and Wallace gone right out of the gates.

I still cant see them cutting Polamalu. Mendy and Wallace can walk freely, I'm sure the organization would love to show them the door.

Shawn
02-07-2013, 07:47 PM
I still cant see them cutting Polamalu. Mendy and Wallace can walk freely, I'm sure the organization would love to show them the door.

if he is unwilling to take a serious pay cut he won't be a Steeler next year.

zachintosh66
02-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Bleacher Report (yes, not very accountable) was claiming Clark is gonna get the Ax...

Who is due spring roster bonuses?

supersteeler
02-07-2013, 08:02 PM

That is a possibilty Shawn, how many games has Troy played the last three years. It's to a point they can't rely on him being healthy for any extended period of time.
As for Harrison, he'll have to take a steep pay cut.

It's hard to make decisions like this with popular long time Steelers like Troy and James, but at the end of the day business supercedes everything. I would love to keep Harrison one of my favorite players but realize the Steelers have to make tough decisions that fans may not like, its part of the game.

I don't think they would release Troy, but the Steelers have to do what's best for the future of the team not just this coming season.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
The issue with Polamalu is there is NO ONE behind him. Will Allen and Ryan Mundy are free agents. Robert Golden and Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith were special-teams players only (5th and 6th safeties on our roster last season). Do we realistically think that one of them can step up and start, and the other could be the primary backup to both spots? Safety is our weakest position, depth-wise. I think we will consider drafting 2 safeties, even if we keep Troy and Clark, so there is no way that I see cutting Troy loose.

Deebo may go, even though it hurts to part with him (but Tomlin made a similar decision with Joey Porter when his age and salary weren't in line), but at least we have Worilds behind him, which is better than anything we have at safety right now.

There is also a possibility that Ike could be sacrificed if that means we are able to re-sign Lewis. Keenan and Cortez are both ready for prime time in my option, and if we let an emerging Lewis go in order to hold onto a playing-the-back-nine-of-his-career Taylor, then that is a mistake in my opinion.

The team likely feels comfortable letting Hampton test free agent waters because they know that they have McLendon, Ta'Amu, and Fangupo.

Similarly, they'll let Starks see what he can get in free agency since they have Gilbert and Adams.

There is even a possibility that they could make Keisel a cap casualty if they feel they can get by with Heyward-McLendon-Hood as their starting front 3.

Rather than restructuring Ben and Heath, I could see them trying to work out actual extension for those guys.

Colon is the biggest question-mark, because his injuries make him unreliable, but we don't really gain any real degree of added cap room by cutting him loose (and restructuring his deal will only make things worse), so they may just try to hold onto him for another year if they are unable to re-sign Foster (I'd rather have Beachum as a Trai-Essex-like fall-back option at multiple positions than a guy we need to start on day one).

I'd say Timmons and Woodley are the primary candidates for restructuring (I suppose they could add Ben and Heath to this list if they are unable to extend their deals, but I would prefer extension to restructures in those cases).

supersteeler
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I would agree Troy most likely will stay, but as you stated Ike could be a casualty with the emergence of Cortez and Lewis, thats why I have Rhodes in round one on my mock.;)

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Time to go 4-3 and start youngins' in the secondary. Other teams have gone way young all at once in their secondaries like the Pats and Giants. Why can't we?

steelz09
02-07-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't think it's wise to cut Clark or Polamalu. Safety has little to no depth and ILB is a close second.

If they cut Clark then I could see Robert Golden being the FS or Troy being transitioned to FS and Golden at SS.

If they cut Troy and keep Clark then I see Golden being the starter at SS.

I don't think there is any way they cut Clark and Troy.

Chadman
02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Timmons, Woodley & Antonio Brown have to be restructured. You shave massive amounts just by doing that. Ben is pretty obvious too- but at some point, that contract of his will destroy the roster if they keep restructuring him. Already this season he's at a $20m+ cap cost.

AkronSteel
02-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Timmons, Woodley & Antonio Brown have to be restructured. You shave massive amounts just by doing that. Ben is pretty obvious too- but at some point, that contract of his will destroy the roster if they keep restructuring him. Already this season he's at a $20m+ cap cost.

i agree 100%

pittpete
02-08-2013, 12:31 AM
9/10/2011: Signed a four-year, $36.5 million contract.
The deal included a $10.55 million signing bonus.
2013: $7.5 million, 2014: $8.25 million, 2015: Free Agent

Troy's cap hit for 2013 will be $10,137,500.
That is a ton of $$$ for a guy who has had trouble staying healthy the last 4 years.
Our defense did just fine w/o him last year with W.Allen as the starter
IMO he is not the impact player he once was and it is time to say goodbye to his beat up 31 year old body.
Love ya Troy but not at over $10 million this year.
If he is cut I believe his cap hit for 2013 would be the last 2 years of his signing bonus accelerated, which equals $5,027,500
The $$$ freed up could be used to resign W.Allen and Troy could always come back for cheaper if noone else offers him a contract.
These times are very scary right now and the tough decisions will need to be made.

pittpete
02-08-2013, 12:36 AM

And in a few years, that credit card bill will come due also.

supersteeler
02-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
The Pittsburgh Steelers have found themselves in quite the pickle this off-season. The team is reportedly $14 million over the NFL‘s 2013 salary cap of $121.1 million and this is before signing any player in free agency. What are some of the tough decisions the Steelers might have to make in order to get back under the cap?

The Steelers are in an unfortunate position where they will most likely be unable to re-sign any of their double-digit free agents. This also means the team will not be able to go out into the market and acquire new players to help improve on their 8-8 record from last season. On top of this dreadful news for Steeler nation, the team may also be forced to cut ties with fan favorite veterans in order to preserve money.

Pittsburgh currently sits at $135.31 million and that includes $47.51 million in bonuses alone. The Steelers also have linebackers LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison and Lawrence Timmons on contract for an incredible $163.25 million over several years obviously. Timmons and Woodley could both be asked to restructure their contracts while it is a very real possibility that Harrison will be released in order for the team to save $5.1 million.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is receiving $102 million over an eight-year span, the largest contract on the team. He will consume $19.59 million of Pittsburgh’s salary cap in 2013, which means the organization may have no choice but to give him another extension. This will help reduce the cap hit for next season but it by no means fixes the overall problem with one swing of the bat.

Other players that will most likely be asked to restructure their contracts are tight end Heath Miller and wide receiver Antonio Brown. The 24-year-old Brown recently stated that he wants to be a member of the Steelers for life, which means he will most likely do what it takes to stick around. Meanwhile, Miller, who is arguably the top offensive weapon for Roethlisberger, may not like the idea of things changing quickly around him but will probably play ball because he wants to remain in Pittsburgh as well.

Obviously, free agents such as Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall, Larry Foote, Casey Hampton and Plaxico Burress are out of the picture. This is a huge blow for a team that struggled to remain competitive with them on the squad. If the Steelers want any chance of competing in the AFC North in 2013 they will have to do so with quality draft picks.
In my opinion, Steelers fans have every right to be angry at what the organization has done. Whoever’s idea it was to put together some of these ridiculous contracts deserves to be fired. I cannot imagine the Rooney family is happy how their money is being spent, especially for a .500 team that misses the playoffs

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/07/pittsburgh-steelers-could-make-tough-decisions-to-get-back-under-salary-cap/?8GGGq8aDs50f8YLE.99

1. If we lose Harrison, his replacement would be Worlids

2. Hampton...........Mclendon,Fangupo,Ta'amu

3.Foote?.............Sylvester, Spence

4. Ike?................Lewis

5. Lewis?...............Cortez

6. Troy?..............Allen, Golden

7. Colon.............Beachum

8.Starks............Gilbert

9. Foster.......... Malecki, Legursky

10.Wallace.......Brown

11. Mendy.......Le'veon Bell:), Dwyer

We might not lose them all, but considering the issues at hand expect a majority of them will be gone. Now that doesn't count other players who will be gone like Mundy and a few others. ? denotes players on the bubble, who might stay.
How long can they restructure contracts when it could hurt them down the road?
For the most part the FO usually comes through as the Steelers are always competitive, a down year sometimes, but they regroup and try to maintain a winning team for the present and future.

Oviedo
02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Time to go 4-3 and start youngins' in the secondary. Other teams have gone way young all at once in their secondaries like the Pats and Giants. Why can't we?

$$$$ The 4-3 would allow us to get players on the field sooner and assess whether to invest in them earlier versus the LeBeau way of getting a one year sample like we have for Keenan Lewis before needing to commit to a long contract. That approach has gotten us into the cap situation we have with so many older players we were forced to commit to because the "mastered" the system.

papillon
02-08-2013, 09:12 AM
The Steelers went all in to try and win another Super Bowl and along the way injuries began to become an issue with the players that were being relied on the most, Troy, Harrison and Ben. Throw in Pouncey, DeCastro, Mendenhall, Colon, Adams and Gilbert and the the other teams drew a straight flush on the river to beat your 4 of a kind.

Now, with an 8-8 season in the rear view mirror the Steelers are in cap hell and getting out will not be easy. Harrison and Polamalu are not coming back at discounted rates, IMO, if cut (almost a certainty) they will either retire or sign a short term contract elsewhere, I just don't see either playing for the Steelers for peanuts just to be a Steeler, it would be nice, but unlikely.

I doubt that Ike and Lewis will be the starting corners, it is more likely that Taylor and Allen or Lewis and Allen will be the starters, but I don't see a stable of cornerbacks involving Taylor, Lewis and Allen being on the 2013 team.

Starks, Mendenhall and Wallace probably won't be wearing black and gold either, so our most consistent OL, best running back and best wide receiver will in all likelihood be departing as well.

Unless, some young guys (Worilds, Golden or journeyman Allen, Adams and/or Gilbert, DeCastro, Heyward, Hood) play to the potential that the Steelers saw when they drafted them look for another 8-8 season, IMO. Ben will be able to hold things together to a point, but winning more than 8 games without the young guys beginning to play above the line will make for a long year. The draft could bring a player or two that sees the field, but as we all know, it is rare that a rookie makes any kind of real impact.

All-in and outdrawn on the river, it happens, the odds were in the Steelers favor, its time to move on, I'm really going to miss some of these players, they visited the Super Bowl three times and brought home two Lombardis, it would have been nice for this season to play out better, but it didn't. Even if the year would have gone as hoped these players were going to have to be released, cut or take pay cuts anyhow.

Lets hope the young guys step up and start another generation of great Steeler football.

Pappy

Oviedo
02-08-2013, 09:15 AM
The Steelers went all in to try and win another Super Bowl and along the way injuries began to become an issue with the players that were being relied on the most, Troy, Harrison and Ben. Throw in Pouncey, DeCastro, Mendenhall, Colon, Adams and Gilbert and the the other teams drew a straight flush on the river to beat your 4 of a kind.

Now, with an 8-8 season in the rear view mirror the Steelers are in cap hell and getting out will not be easy. Harrison and Polamalu are not coming back at discounted rates, IMO, if cut (almost a certainty) they will either retire or sign a short term contract elsewhere, I just don't see either playing for the Steelers for peanuts just to be a Steeler, it would be nice, but unlikely.

I doubt that Ike and Lewis will be the starting corners, it is more likely that Taylor and Allen or Lewis and Allen will be the starters, but I don't see a stable of cornerbacks involving Taylor, Lewis and Allen being on the 2013 team.

Starks, Mendenhall and Wallace probably won't be wearing black and gold either, so our most consistent OL, best running back and best wide receiver will in all likelihood be departing as well.

Unless, some young guys (Worilds, Golden or journeyman Allen, Adams and/or Gilbert, DeCastro, Heyward, Hood) play to the potential that the Steelers saw when they drafted them look for another 8-8 season, IMO. Ben will be able to hold things together to a point, but winning more than 8 games without the young guys beginning to play above the line will make for a long year. The draft could bring a player or two that sees the field, but as we all know, it is rare that a rookie makes any kind of real impact.

All-in and outdrawn on the river, it happens, the odds were in the Steelers favor, its time to move on, I'm really going to miss some of these players, they visited the Super Bowl three times and brought home two Lombardis, it would have been nice for this season to play out better, but it didn't. Even if the year would have gone as hoped these players were going to have to be released, cut or take pay cuts anyhow.

Lets hope the young guys step up and start another generation of great Steeler football.

Pappy

Definitely time to move on. Need to complete the "generation change" we started last season.

papillon
02-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Definitely time to move on. Need to complete the "generation change" we started last season.

Unfortunately, the young guys that are part of this transition aren't close to being able to perform at the level of the player they are replacing, except possibly Lewis if the Steelers can find a way to keep him. His best friend is probably gone and he's a UFA, so he'll probably test the waters and he'll probably be offered silly money.

Pappy

supersteeler
02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
I think the Steelers tried to keep the core players intact as long as they could, as you said Pappy to win another Super Bowl.
Now, changes have to be made. They can't rely on older vets anymore and have to turn the page to a younger football team, sometimes it works out and sometimes the process involves mixed results.

The hope is the 2nd and third year draft picks step up, add a rookie or two and groom the rest of draft picks for the near future.
I look back to last season before the injuries and see our offense was doing pretty good, so a second year in haley's offense may produce good results provided we don't get the injury bug again.
Finding a feature back, add a receiver, TE, and we might be better than expected.

On defense, if we can keep Lewis, we might still be pretty good. Harrison is expected to be gone, so we plug in Worlids, he's not James Harrison but the little time he played he did get 5 sacks. In the meantime we could draft another OLB to groom in case it doesn't work out with Worlids. The other position is ILB. Foote can still play and he want's to remain a Steeler so I believe they will work something out and give us a chance to groom the replacement for Foote.

Its not going to be doom and gloom people, I prefer to say the Steelers will make room to groom.
The Steelers can still be a good football team, as we move forward I think everyone involved with the team will be very serious and focused to reverse last seasons record.

Go Pittsburgh

Chadman
02-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Probably going over old ground here, but...

The Steelers can still continue their 'youth drive' by focussing on selecting starters from their younger players & draft picks, while signing older players to fill lesser roles.

Case in point- Brown & Sanders will be WR's 1 & 2, and the Steelers will most likely draft another WR, but the addition of a Plaxico Burress to round out the WR corps, on a vet minimum, doesn't hinder the youth development- it might even enhance it. So while the Steelers focus on getting younger starters, it might be a good time, both for roster, developmental & financial reasons, to include a number of aged vets.

papillon
02-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Probably going over old ground here, but...

The Steelers can still continue their 'youth drive' by focussing on selecting starters from their younger players & draft picks, while signing older players to fill lesser roles.

Case in point- Brown & Sanders will be WR's 1 & 2, and the Steelers will most likely draft another WR, but the addition of a Plaxico Burress to round out the WR corps, on a vet minimum, doesn't hinder the youth development- it might even enhance it. So while the Steelers focus on getting younger starters, it might be a good time, both for roster, developmental & financial reasons, to include a number of aged vets.

It would be easy to go with a youth movement, the trick is get young and be competitive. Brown and Sanders aren't as good as Wallace and Brown; Woodley, Foote and Worilds aren't as good as Woodley, Foote and Harrison; Lewis, Allen, Golden and Clark aren't as good as Taylor, Lewis, Polamalu and Clark; Dwyer and Remond aren't as good as Mendenhall and Dwyer. Getting youthful is easy, getting youthful and competitive is an entirely different animal.

Pappy

NorthCoast
02-09-2013, 02:25 PM
if he is unwilling to take a serious pay cut he won't be a Steeler next year.

It's not only the money. It's also the fact that, after getting over the initial adjustment, the Steelers defense actually played quite well without Troy. To me, that is the most telling sign that the Steelers could be ready to move on with life without Troy.

lloydroid
02-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Pappy

Pappy, I agree with all of this. But you know what would be refreshing and fun? So the hell with it and become a young, hungry team, like the Seahawks. We may not be successful year 1 but if we ended up being a young and hungry team that contends in a few years, I'd take it. Anything is better than watching a team get old and over-priced across the board. With the young teams, you just don't see the injuries like we have (although much of the OL is young and still gets injured far too often, but that is being discussed in another thread.)

lloydroid
02-09-2013, 02:50 PM
It's not only the money. It's also the fact that, after getting over the initial adjustment, the Steelers defense actually played quite well without Troy. To me, that is the most telling sign that the Steelers could be ready to move on with life without Troy.

Totally agree. I love Troy, or at least the one of a few years ago. But there is nothing more depressing than seeing him in a T-shirt on the sidelines every week. Plus, Clark admitted then when TP limps off the field, the entire D gets depressed. Not any more. They proved they can play lights out D without him, so why pay his insane salary when it's likely he is going to get hurt again?

lloydroid
02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
It would be easy to go with a youth movement, the trick is get young and be competitive. Brown and Sanders aren't as good as Wallace and Brown; Woodley, Foote and Worilds aren't as good as Woodley, Foote and Harrison; Lewis, Allen, Golden and Clark aren't as good as Taylor, Lewis, Polamalu and Clark; Dwyer and Remond aren't as good as Mendenhall and Dwyer. Getting youthful is easy, getting youthful and competitive is an entirely different animal.

Pappy

No one is good every single year, although the Steelers come about as close to anyone at pulling that off. If we have a semi-down year to get younger, so be it. I think it will be fun seeing a bunch of young guys get after it, instead of old guys falling apart with injuries and a cap that is blown up. Just look at what Pete Carrol did in Seattle. I would love a team like that.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I know it is not the 'Steeler Way', but would Keisel or Ike have trade value for draft picks? If trading Ike allows us to sign Lewis I would do it. We have Heyward to take Keisels spot. If we could land a 3rd or 4th for each I would do it.

supersteeler
02-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I know it is not the 'Steeler Way', but would Keisel or Ike have trade value for draft picks? If trading Ike allows us to sign Lewis I would do it. We have Heyward to take Keisels spot. If we could land a 3rd or 4th for each I would do it.

I wouldn't trade Keisel, heck, he's our best D-lineman, but I would give it a shot with Ike Taylor. All the Steelers have to do is call Denver who would be open to a trade like that. Bailey got hammered when the Rats played them, so I'm sure they want immediate help.

Sugar
02-09-2013, 11:35 PM
If we lose Troy, Deebo, Foote, Ike, Lewis and Casey we better hope the O can put up 35 a game or we will be trying to keep up with the Browns to stay out of the division cellar.

Oviedo
02-10-2013, 10:25 AM
If we lose Troy, Deebo, Foote, Ike, Lewis and Casey we better hope the O can put up 35 a game or we will be trying to keep up with the Browns to stay out of the division cellar.

Having those players this past season resulted in 8 losses and no play offs. Its not like they were what put us over the top.

snarky
02-10-2013, 10:43 AM
What I haven't seen listed anywhere is the marginal cost of keeping each of the players in question. A guy's specific cap hit seems less important than how much his cap hit would be reduced if we cut him. The guaranteed money is already spent (in a sense).

Slapstick
02-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Having those players this past season resulted in 8 losses and no play offs. Its not like they were what put us over the top.

However, they might be what kept us off the bottom...

You want to tell me that defense shares in 8 losses...but, I disagree...

I can think of two losses where the defense did not allow a TD...

I can think of another where the offense turned the ball over 8 times and the defense scored a TD...

There is no doubt that the defense had some bad games, but, overall, they were not the problem...

phillyesq
02-10-2013, 11:31 AM
What I haven't seen listed anywhere is the marginal cost of keeping each of the players in question. A guy's specific cap hit seems less important than how much his cap hit would be reduced if we cut him. The guaranteed money is already spent (in a sense).

You are absolutely correct.

Colon is a great example. Cutting him would save $1.2 million against the cap, but there is also the cost of a replacement. Figure 400k or so for a rookie making the minimum, and the cap savings there is not great.

Oviedo
02-10-2013, 11:35 AM
However, they might be what kept us off the bottom...

You want to tell me that defense shares in 8 losses...but, I disagree...

I can think of two losses where the defense did not allow a TD...

I can think of another where the offense turned the ball over 8 times and the defense scored a TD...

There is no doubt that the defense had some bad games, but, overall, they were not the problem...

If we are missing the play offs, I could care less whether we are 8-8 or 4-12. Those players you list are part of our past not out our future. Let's get the "generation change" we need to make done, fix our cap situation and lay the groundwork for the next 5-7 years. Everyone you list is gone within two years so don't postpone the inevitable and hang on to them to maybe get one or two more wins, which BTW they couldn't do this year.

phillyesq
02-10-2013, 11:40 AM
If we are missing the play offs, I could care less whether we are 8-8 or 4-12. Those players you list are part of our past not out our future. Let's get the "generation change" we need to make done, fix our cap situation and lay the groundwork for the next 5-7 years. Everyone you list is gone within two years so don't postpone the inevitable and hang on to them to maybe get one or two more wins, which BTW they couldn't do this year.

Did you actually enjoy any of the last decade of Steelers football? For as long as I've seen you post, dating back to the Trib days, you've wanted to scrap the defensive system and have complained non-stop about the defense and the older players. This during a time when the Steelers won 2 SBs and went to a third.

Younger is not always better. A great example is Ryan Clark and the safety from Syracuse - Anthony Smith I believe. Everybody assumed that Clark must be holding him back. Well, I'm pretty sure that he is now out of the league while Clark has been a mainstay on the defense.

supersteeler
02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Our defense isn't the problem, overall they were consistent over the last several years. Consider the injuries to Harrison,Woodley, Troy,Taylor, and even Clark missed a game and we still were near the top in defense.
I expect our defense to be still top 10 this coming season, lets fix the real problem.....the offense.

My mock has 2 defensive positions in the first three rounds, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting the first three on offense cause we need some help there big time. 21 a game ain't doing it!

Slapstick
02-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Even without the splash plays, the defense is sound...

If the offense can score more points, the Steelers will be in good shape...

feltdizz
02-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Get younger... and we will get better. Whats funny is our D wasnt that bad and they showed they can compete when they older players were hurt. The problem is the offense and thats the younger unit. They have to play better and I dont think our drop off will be that large if Wallace leaves.

Peope tend to think when we lose a player the production at that spot is zero... even if the production isnt as high it may result in better team chemistry if the chains move instead of relying on the home run.

Its definitely time to cut some vets...

lloydroid
02-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Even without the splash plays, the defense is sound...

If the offense can score more points, the Steelers will be in good shape...

The Defense _WAS_ sound. But we could be looking at a D without Hampton, Harrison, Lewis and who knows who else. They could drop down to the middle of the pack with all the players they might be losing.

supersteeler
02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
The Defense _WAS_ sound. But we could be looking at a D without Hampton, Harrison, Lewis and who knows who else. They could drop down to the middle of the pack with all the players they might be losing.

Nah, as long as Mr.LeBeau is here this defense will always be good, and BTW, we'll have two Pro Bowl O-linemen selected at the end of next season, Pouncey & DeCastro......FO Wheel:cool:

Slapstick
02-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Out of those three, I would be most concerned about Lewis...

For the most part, Hampton wasn't special last season...

Also, James Harrison has missed a lot of time (for him) over the last two seasons...

Sugar
02-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Get younger... and we will get better. Whats funny is our D wasnt that bad and they showed they can compete when they older players were hurt. The problem is the offense and thats the younger unit. They have to play better and I dont think our drop off will be that large if Wallace leaves.

However, you are still expecting at least some drop off on the O. This from a team that had the 21st ranked O. Add to that, losing D stalwarts. Unless we are going to start scoring more on ST's, this spells trouble to me.

supersteeler
02-10-2013, 08:59 PM
No worries Sugar, Colbert gave Omar Kahn a Scapel and he will perform a laparoscopic function to restore the core, however there will be some loss, but the healing time will be sooner.
Some fine tuning and we'll be ready to compete.....I hope.

Sugar
02-10-2013, 09:14 PM
No worries Sugar, Colbert gave Omar Kahn a Scapel and he will perform a laparoscopic function to restore the core, however there will be some loss, but the healing time will be sooner.
Some fine tuning and we'll be ready to compete.....I hope.

I hear you. We lost Joey Porter and James Harrison wound up being even better. I can only hope that the drop off from Harrison to Worilds brings us back to a Porter-level player, but I'm not holding my breath.

I just really hate the idea of seeing guys like Deebo, Troy or Keisel in a Bengals, Seahawks or Cardinals jersey.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-10-2013, 11:05 PM
It seemed that Worilds was more explosive filling in for Woodley coming off of that side. Would it make any sense to have Woodley and Keisel coming off the same side and move Woodley to that side?

papillon
02-10-2013, 11:11 PM

Peope tend to think when we lose a player the production at that spot is zero... even if the production isnt as high it may result in better team chemistry if the chains move instead of relying on the home run.

Its definitely time to cut some vets...

I'm not sure I agree with the fact the defense competed with the younger players. The beginning of the year without Troy and James the defense wasn't exactly killing it. As Harrison worked back to health and Troy got on the field late in the season the defense was beginning to dominate some games. I'm not sure I'd credit the young guys a whole lot yet.

Pappy

Sugar
02-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the fact the defense competed with the younger players. The beginning of the year without Troy and James the defense wasn't exactly killing it. As Harrison worked back to health and Troy got on the field late in the season the defense was beginning to dominate some games. I'm not sure I'd credit the young guys a whole lot yet.

Pappy

Exactly. If we have a bloodletting on D we can still be in the top 15-20 probably. However, losing the talent we'll be losing on the O doesn't make me optimistic for a unit that was already only 21 in scoring. Ben and a healthy OL can get 5-6 wins even without Mendy or Wallace. I'm not confident in much more if we unload as much talent and leadership as it is reported. I don't want to hear about "addition by subtraction" either. That's hokum and nothing more, IMO.

Chadman
02-10-2013, 11:42 PM
The Steelers are in a no-win position right now. They are lumbered with some aging players that don't live up to their contract numbers. They are stuck with some young players that are overpaid. They can't afford to re-sign some of their own young players that play significant roles for the team. But to afford them, they must cut existing players from the roster- starters- and promote guys that couldn't beat them out last season.

Whichever way you look at it- the Steelers will be worse off in 2013, personel-wise.

There is no way that cutting Harrison makes the Steelers pass rush better in 2013. Not by promoting Worilds, not by drafting a 1st round rookie.

No rookie RB is going to replace a healthy Mendenhall. And Dwyer & Redman showed what happens when they are called on to be full time replacements for him.

No WR will replace Wallace's production next season- not even the 2012 production. Even if Brown gets comparable stats to Wallace, then Sanders needs to get comparable stats to Brown, or whoever is 3rd WR gets stats similar to Sanders.

This team will be worse in 2013. Getting younger doesn't fix it, not right away.

supersteeler
02-11-2013, 07:05 AM
We ended 2012 with a 8-8 record with the current players on the roster, now its perceived if we lose players like Wallace, Mendy, Starks, Harrison to name a few we might get worse.
The thing is we don't really know.
What happens if we somehow have the same 5 starters on the O-line like the 9ers had in 2013? Beachum might be an upgrade over Colon, DeCastro when healthy should be really good and Adams can run block pretty good at the RT tackle position. The concern is Gilbert at LT, but did we see him play there yet for a full season?
That's his natural position, who knows he may play better than expected and that line could be better than expected as a whole.
Now, with Wallace most likely gone Ben won't have that speed guy for that deep pass, maybe Ben will now rely more on the dink & dunk offense and get better managing it.
We just need a RB, to balance our offense and I believe we could get one that is better than what we have, Cleveland did it last season with Richardson so yes a rookie back can win a starters position.

For me, having our O-line healthy and playing well is the key, everything else will fall into place if we get that unit to have some continuity.
We need to have a solid draft and our current players to step up, I never thought it would happen overnight as I pointed out in another thread.
Look at Keenan Lewis, he came out of nowhere this season and became a pretty good CB, maybe we might see Worlids do the same at OLB, we just don't know yet until he has a full season under his belt.

We still have a window, it may take a few years but as long as Ben is our QB that window is open, when he leaves or retires then we all will be concerned thats when the real worries come into play.
The Colts won 11 games last season without a strong run game, and their defense isn't as good as ours, so don't throw in the towel just yet, your going to need it for the new season.:tt2

Oviedo
02-11-2013, 08:41 AM
We ended 2012 with a 8-8 record with the current players on the roster, now its perceived if we lose players like Wallace, Mendy, Starks, Harrison to name a few we might get worse.
The thing is we don't really know.
What happens if we somehow have the same 5 starters on the O-line like the 9ers had in 2013? Beachum might be an upgrade over Colon, DeCastro when healthy should be really good and Adams can run block pretty good at the RT tackle position. The concern is Gilbert at LT, but did we see him play there yet for a full season?
That's his natural position, who knows he may play better than expected and that line could be better than expected as a whole.
Now, with Wallace most likely gone Ben won't have that speed guy for that deep pass, maybe Ben will now rely more on the dink & dunk offense and get better managing it.
We just need a RB, to balance our offense and I believe we could get one that is better than what we have, Cleveland did it last season with Richardson so yes a rookie back can win a starters position.

For me, having our O-line healthy and playing well is the key, everything else will fall into place if we get that unit to have some continuity.
We need to have a solid draft and our current players to step up, I never thought it would happen overnight as I pointed out in another thread.
Look at Keenan Lewis, he came out of nowhere this season and became a pretty good CB, maybe we might see Worlids do the same at OLB, we just don't know yet until he has a full season under his belt.

We still have a window, it may take a few years but as long as Ben is our QB that window is open, when he leaves or retires then we all will be concerned thats when the real worries come into play.
The Colts won 11 games last season without a strong run game, and their defense isn't as good as ours, so don't throw in the towel just yet, your going to need it for the new season.:tt2

$$$$ The OL is totally the key for this team. They will win or lose based on how well they perform.

Slapstick
02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Health will play a huge factor...

Even if players like Harrison and Polamalu may be gone, I think the Steelers will be fine if players like Worilds, Woodley and basically the entire offensive line can remain healthy...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-11-2013, 10:50 AM
$$$$ The OL is totally the key for this team. They will win or lose based on how well they perform.

Exactly, and it is so simple.

Take a look at the two SB teams. What distinguishes them above everyone else? They both have talent, but nothing extraordinary. Now look at their OLs.

The 49ers (as mentioned by another previously) started the same 5 across their line every week. The Steelers struggle to field the same 5 from game to game.

The Ravens were going nowhere until they fired their OC. The new guy comes in and makes one significant move - shuffles the OL. He moved McKinnie to the left side and Oher off "The Blind Side" - they will have to rename his movie. :D They became a much better team after that.

Oviedo
02-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Did you actually enjoy any of the last decade of Steelers football? For as long as I've seen you post, dating back to the Trib days, you've wanted to scrap the defensive system and have complained non-stop about the defense and the older players. This during a time when the Steelers won 2 SBs and went to a third.

Younger is not always better. A great example is Ryan Clark and the safety from Syracuse - Anthony Smith I believe. Everybody assumed that Clark must be holding him back. Well, I'm pretty sure that he is now out of the league while Clark has been a mainstay on the defense.

Loved the last decades, but I don't live in the past. Loved the 3-4 when we were near the leaders of the league in sacks every year but that is also in the past. I'm not afraid to move on because I don't have an emotional attachment to specific players. I love the team and the organization but recognize every player is just a temporary employee.

You are correct, younger isn't always better but we aren't talking about replacing players who are performing at the peak of their productive years are we? In that situation I'll default to the younger player versus over paying for a player whose best days are behind them. I am consistent back to "the Trib days" in that I think it is stupid and short-sighted to not play younger players through most of their first contract and then get a one year sample size before you have to make that decision on the big second contract.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Chadman's comments are the thoughts that fuel many sources and media outlets. Many of you Steeler fans don't want to hear it but you have to put yourself in an executive chair and look at it...Not as a fan.

Are the 2013 Steelers a contender with the minimal amount of cutting & restructuring needed to be compliant and also considering the FA losses that will happen because of their cap situation?

Sitting in that "chair" your answer would have to tilt toward the "No" side.

So, Are the Steelers a playoff team with the above in 2013?

Sitting in that "chair" your answer would have to tilt toward the "50-50" side. SB Champ Ravens & a Bengal team who is playoff caliber in our division. So there is no reason to believe that is a definative "yes".

So do you hope fate is on your side and this vet group has one more run in them? or Do you worry about getting you cap structure right and build a new core to make more SB runs with BB on the backside of his career? How long is the transition of tunrover if you try and hang on to some of the vets for 2013 verus clearing the books? The "Fan" in me and the "Executive" in me sit completely opposite on this. In my opinion, the "Product" over the next 3 years will be better if you start sooner than later. It may be the difference between getting back to the SB in 2-3 years versus 3-4. The sooner you get to that level with a 31 year old franchsie QB should be the focus.

I'm not saying they cut everyone...Don't take my words as that. There are some posion contracts right now. With the restructuring that will be done, there could be more but are necessary & a low risk given their ages.

Kiesel & Clark are in their contract years. Their deals are appetizing to shed because of the dead money they create and the quick cap relief they would create. 6 mil would be created. However, if they are healthy, they showed they are still playing at a high level. Their contracts aren't posion but it is money that is there if they need it.

Harrison, Colon, Polamalu, and Taylor are all poison contracts because they go beyond 2013. None of then will play out their deals. All of them have significant penalties if cut. However, those penalties are monies spent. Remember that. I mention that because pretend you are Rooney with his checkbook. I will lump them all together, not saying it will happen. Just to show you where the smoke is coming from. Cutting all of them will save the Steelers 13.6 mil against the cap. Now, they could use that. Do the have people in place behind them? That is another discussion that the Steelers have the answers to. Cutting them creates about 23.5 mil in dead money if done before June 1st. Ugly number right? Remember...That is money spent. The checks were already written for that money. Here is where the business comes in. Without any restructures on these contrats...Rooney will have to write checks for 25.5 mil to have them play 2013. If they play 2013, and they revisit in 2014, the dead money will be less....But the money that came out of his pocket will be the same. Paying to prolong the inevitable? Do they warrant over 20% of the cap? Are those 4 & the 25 mil going to get you to the SB? How about all 6 and 30 mil? They were all on the roster & a year younger with an 8-8 finish. I would hate to be Rooney & KC. Create 20 mil in space & clear the books or spend 30 mil more and put it off one more year. Hmmmmm.

I could see the thought process. I don't think the Rooneys believe that any of the 6 above or all 6 together gets them to the SB. The arrow is pointing down on all of them. One thing that sticks out to me is KC apparent displeasure and I believe that came from above. KC has a boss. I don't think anyone 30 or above is safe with the exception of BB & Miller.

Sugar
02-11-2013, 03:43 PM
The Steelers are in a no-win position right now. They are lumbered with some aging players that don't live up to their contract numbers. They are stuck with some young players that are overpaid. They can't afford to re-sign some of their own young players that play significant roles for the team. But to afford them, they must cut existing players from the roster- starters- and promote guys that couldn't beat them out last season.

Whichever way you look at it- the Steelers will be worse off in 2013, personel-wise.

There is no way that cutting Harrison makes the Steelers pass rush better in 2013. Not by promoting Worilds, not by drafting a 1st round rookie.

No rookie RB is going to replace a healthy Mendenhall. And Dwyer & Redman showed what happens when they are called on to be full time replacements for him.

No WR will replace Wallace's production next season- not even the 2012 production. Even if Brown gets comparable stats to Wallace, then Sanders needs to get comparable stats to Brown, or whoever is 3rd WR gets stats similar to Sanders.

This team will be worse in 2013. Getting younger doesn't fix it, not right away.

I'll still pull for the team of course, but it's really looking like with the impending talent/leadership dump the team is apparently about to make 8-8 will be what we get IF we stay healthy and have good coaching. Anything less and we're looking at a top 15 pick next April.

supersteeler
02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Would anyone here be open to trading Swaggin for a draft pick and sign Keenan Lewis?

Ike has a few good years left in him, some teams might want to make a deal with us if we offered him in a trade. Ike's been a cornerstone at his position and it would be tough to let him leave but we could get a better deal now I believe than waiting down the road.
I would assume we would save some money if that were to happen and get the younger corners signed Allen& Lewis.

Your thoughts?

Oviedo
02-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Would anyone here be open to trading Swaggin for a draft pick and sign Keenan Lewis?

Ike has a few good years left in him, some teams might want to make a deal with us if we offered him in a trade. Ike's been a cornerstone at his position and it would be tough to let him leave but we could get a better deal now I believe than waiting down the road.
I would assume we would save some money if that were to happen and get the younger corners signed Allen& Lewis.

Your thoughts?

Not sure you would get much but I'd be OK with that.

supersteeler
02-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Not sure you would get much but I'd be OK with that.

I think we could get a 3rd. round pick for Ike. heck, Denver might be on the phone right now after Champ Bailey got toasted by the Rats.

Chadman
02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
I'll still pull for the team of course, but it's really looking like with the impending talent/leadership dump the team is apparently about to make 8-8 will be what we get IF we stay healthy and have good coaching. Anything less and we're looking at a top 15 pick next April.

The fact is, it'll take an insane, and improbable, amount of things 'going right' for the Steelers to be playoff contenders next season.

It happens to every club at some point, and it's quite remarkable that the Steelers have gotten this far before things have started to squeeze up. And truth be told, although it's improbable, that doesn't make the Steelers making a run at the playoffs 'impossible'.

A lot of opinions at the moment are "we need an OLB/WR/RB/OT/OG/NT etc". And yeah, to a degree, that is right. But in a number of these 'needs', the Steelers have already planted seeds for the future. Sean Spence, Cortez Allen, Mike Adams, Marcus Gilbert, Jason Worilds.... these guys were selected, on the most part, before they became 'needs'. And the Steelers will likely do the same again this draft, instead of being reactionary & drafting a WR in the 1st to replace Wallace, or a RB to replace Mendenhall.

Where are the 'future' needs on this team? Where have the Steelers not secured players for the future?

It'll be a tough season coming up. The test will likely be more on how the team competes, rather than the end result.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-12-2013, 11:48 AM
With the exception of BB, The Steelers have always drafted offensive skill players in the 1st round with intentions of them contributing from day 1 as far back as 1990 with Eric Green when the "need" arises. It is almost an exact science for them on that side of the ball. If they aren't starting year 1, it is the next year...But they still have major production in their rookie year if they aren't starting. That goes hand-in-hand with the philosophy on not spending in FA. When they are faced with a "need' on that side of the ball...It is addressed in the draft. The expectations are for them to start or contribute day 1. To be honest, the Steelers have been very fortunate lately with any offensive players in general contributing early regardless of the position.

On the other side...Because of contract commitments, depth, and the dreaded "learning DL system" theory... The Steelers tend to draft defensive players "In waiting". It has been the luxury of the Steelers to draft talent and let them learn on that side of the ball behind vets. The time has come for all the "In Waiting" players to sit at the table. Where there is no "in waiting" players behind aging vets, they will be addressed.

Defensively...I believe the Steelers are comfortable & confident in their DL. The starters & depth will all be in place. I feel the same about CB. Lewis will be their priority. ILB is a question mark. I don't think Foote will be back but I don't think the Steelers are concerned about a high pick there. Possibly in the 3-7 range. OLB seems to be the biggest concern everywhere...Maybe not at the top of the list for the Steelers though. I think all that will be left for the Steelers at OLB will be conversion DEs and the Steelers tend to draft them outside the 1st round. I also believe the smoke & mirrors game will be played because the Steelers feel they have a starter in waiting if Harrison is cut and depth behind them in Carter & Robinson. They won't be pressured in round 1 at OLB to jump on a coversion project. You know my feeling on Jones's and the only one I wouldn't label a "conversion project" at #17 would be Moore. Moore will be long gone. So that brings us to S. Safety is a possibilty especially if one of Clark or Polamalu is released.

Offensively...WR is definately a possibilty. I think that may be the highest probability if Wallace leaves which is what I think will happen. If Wallace leaves, a struggling running game will have to account for another guy in the box. I am a big fan of Wallace and hate to see him go. His departure will have the most impact on either side of the ball regardless of FA loss or cuts hands down. That will have to be addressed immediately because there is NOBODY on the roster that can pick up his production or opposed gameplanning. There is a lacking main ingredient in trying to turn around a struggling offense and it won't be "purchased" in FA. Burress & Cothchery are not the solutions either...They are role players. I don't expect Burress to be brought back until after the draft if at all. RB will become a concern if Mendy departs. Smart thing for him to do is sign a 1 year and increase his value. Don't know if that will happen. Don't like any RBs as a first round grade. TE needs to be addressed especially with Miller's status but I don't think any are worthy of first round consideration. OL is puzzling. Don't think you can take a G in the first based on what has happened over the last several drafts. If a premiere LT is there and you think Gilbert can play G at this level than maybe a LT. I just don't see the Steelers thinking OL at all in the 1st. That is my opinion.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Here's an interesting scenario. Assume Harrisson is cut. The restructuring / extensions take place to get the Steelers compliant under rule 51. Freeing up money to tender RFA and for the rookie pool.

Would you cut Colon, Clark, Keisel, Suisham, and Cotchery (Total 9.6 mil) to retain Lewis (5/40) & Wallace (5/50)?

Take into consideration possibly cutting Polamalu & Taylor (Total 15.2 mil) before 2014 season.

supersteeler
02-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Here's an interesting scenario. Assume Harrisson is cut. The restructuring / extensions take place to get the Steelers compliant under rule 51. Freeing up money to tender RFA and for the rookie pool.

Would you cut Colon, Clark, Keisel, Suisham, and Cotchery (Total 9.6 mil) to retain Lewis (5/40) & Wallace (5/50)?

Take into consideration possibly cutting Polamalu & Taylor (Total 15.2 mil) before 2014 season.

No to Clark and Keisel this year or cutting Troy, maybe next year. Keisel was our most productive D-lineman, when we have someone to take his place then that's a possibility.

Here is the projected cuts:

Defense:
Harrison

Mundy

Hampton

OFFENSE:
Starks

Foster

Colon

Mendy

Wallace

Pope

There may be more but probably no names who haven't contributed. Foote is on the bubble but I wouldn't cut him, especially if he agree's to a pay cut.

I would sign Lewis, and consider a trade with Taylor.

hawaiiansteel
02-15-2013, 02:33 AM
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert: “We never want to be in a position where we have to gut the team”

Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on February 14, 2013

http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/images_510.jpg

Steelers’ general manager Kevin Colbert knows he has a daunting task in front of him. While many of the experts are predicting a mass exodus of veterans come March, Colbert believes he can keep the bleeding under control.

He thinks he can strike a balance by using creative thinking when it comes to the salary cap, then the Steelers can keep their top level talent, but Colbert admits some will have to go.

"Last year, we let go of significant players," Colbert said, via Albert Breer of NFL.com. "This year, that may or may not be the case. We never want to be in a position where we have to gut the team.

We want to compete every year. And this year, we weren't able to. We didn't get in the playoffs. And that was a failure.”

"But we want to avoid being in a position where we make that one-year, all-in run, then disappear."

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_gm_kevin_colbert_we_never_want_to_be_in_a _position_where_we_have_to_gut_the_team/12918976

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-15-2013, 09:55 AM
No to Clark and Keisel this year or cutting Troy, maybe next year. Keisel was our most productive D-lineman, when we have someone to take his place then that's a possibility.

Here is the projected cuts:

Defense:
Harrison

Mundy

Hampton

OFFENSE:
Starks

Foster

Colon

Mendy

Wallace

Pope

There may be more but probably no names who haven't contributed. Foote is on the bubble but I wouldn't cut him, especially if he agree's to a pay cut.

I would sign Lewis, and consider a trade with Taylor.

I agree about Keisel. However, His age & cap number make him an option with Heyward sitting behind him. Troy, more than likely, will be gone next year unless he plays 16 games or lights out Troy football. Not so sure Clark is even safe this year.

As far as the guys you mentioned to cut Mundy, Hampton, Starks, Foster, Mendy, Wallace, Foote & Pope are all free agents. No money there to save. Maybe you didn't know they were FA and see the cap issue.

Cutting Harrison creates 5.1 mil cap space with 4.9 mil dead money. Cutting Colon creates 1.2 mil cap space with almost 6.5 mil of dead money. They will need more than that (6.3 mil) to tender RFA & sign Lewis even with all the proposed restructures. I agree 110% about retaining Lewis. Taylor has no trade value. If teams know we are shopping Taylor they know the situation and the Steelers would have to release him. We are talking about a 33 year old CB making 9.4 mil & 10.4 mil the next two seasons. For the numbers, Trading him creates 2.5 mil space with 6.9 dead money.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert: “We never want to be in a position where we have to gut the team”

Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on February 14, 2013

http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/images_510.jpg

Steelers’ general manager Kevin Colbert knows he has a daunting task in front of him. While many of the experts are predicting a mass exodus of veterans come March, Colbert believes he can keep the bleeding under control.

He thinks he can strike a balance by using creative thinking when it comes to the salary cap, then the Steelers can keep their top level talent, but Colbert admits some will have to go.

"Last year, we let go of significant players," Colbert said, via Albert Breer of NFL.com. "This year, that may or may not be the case. We never want to be in a position where we have to gut the team.

We want to compete every year. And this year, we weren't able to. We didn't get in the playoffs. And that was a failure.”

"But we want to avoid being in a position where we make that one-year, all-in run, then disappear."

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_gm_kevin_colbert_we_never_want_to_be_in_a _position_where_we_have_to_gut_the_team/12918976

Kevin Colbert...The Politician?

supersteeler
02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Is the March Massacre coming to the Steelers ?

Reading blogs and articles from the so called experts looks like its heating up to be just that.
I'm not going to assume this will hapen until it actually does, remember if they gut this team they better have players to step in and play at a high level or 8-8 will look good.

In a few weeks we'll have a better idea what course they take, I'd hate to see good players released for stumble bums to replace them.

Oviedo
02-15-2013, 09:02 PM
With the exception of BB, The Steelers have always drafted offensive skill players in the 1st round with intentions of them contributing from day 1 as far back as 1990 with Eric Green when the "need" arises. It is almost an exact science for them on that side of the ball. If they aren't starting year 1, it is the next year...But they still have major production in their rookie year if they aren't starting. That goes hand-in-hand with the philosophy on not spending in FA. When they are faced with a "need' on that side of the ball...It is addressed in the draft. The expectations are for them to start or contribute day 1. To be honest, the Steelers have been very fortunate lately with any offensive players in general contributing early regardless of the position.

On the other side...Because of contract commitments, depth, and the dreaded "learning DL system" theory... The Steelers tend to draft defensive players "In waiting". It has been the luxury of the Steelers to draft talent and let them learn on that side of the ball behind vets. The time has come for all the "In Waiting" players to sit at the table. Where there is no "in waiting" players behind aging vets, they will be addressed.

Defensively...I believe the Steelers are comfortable & confident in their DL. The starters & depth will all be in place. I feel the same about CB. Lewis will be their priority. ILB is a question mark. I don't think Foote will be back but I don't think the Steelers are concerned about a high pick there. Possibly in the 3-7 range. OLB seems to be the biggest concern everywhere...Maybe not at the top of the list for the Steelers though. I think all that will be left for the Steelers at OLB will be conversion DEs and the Steelers tend to draft them outside the 1st round. I also believe the smoke & mirrors game will be played because the Steelers feel they have a starter in waiting if Harrison is cut and depth behind them in Carter & Robinson. They won't be pressured in round 1 at OLB to jump on a coversion project. You know my feeling on Jones's and the only one I wouldn't label a "conversion project" at #17 would be Moore. Moore will be long gone. So that brings us to S. Safety is a possibilty especially if one of Clark or Polamalu is released.

Offensively...WR is definately a possibilty. I think that may be the highest probability if Wallace leaves which is what I think will happen. If Wallace leaves, a struggling running game will have to account for another guy in the box. I am a big fan of Wallace and hate to see him go. His departure will have the most impact on either side of the ball regardless of FA loss or cuts hands down. That will have to be addressed immediately because there is NOBODY on the roster that can pick up his production or opposed gameplanning. There is a lacking main ingredient in trying to turn around a struggling offense and it won't be "purchased" in FA. Burress & Cothchery are not the solutions either...They are role players. I don't expect Burress to be brought back until after the draft if at all. RB will become a concern if Mendy departs. Smart thing for him to do is sign a 1 year and increase his value. Don't know if that will happen. Don't like any RBs as a first round grade. TE needs to be addressed especially with Miller's status but I don't think any are worthy of first round consideration. OL is puzzling. Don't think you can take a G in the first based on what has happened over the last several drafts. If a premiere LT is there and you think Gilbert can play G at this level than maybe a LT. I just don't see the Steelers thinking OL at all in the 1st. That is my opinion.

In their desire to get every last drop out of the defensive ploayers I'm not sure we have the kluxury on defense to draft a player in Round 1 or 2 and then let LeBeau put them on a shelf for two years. Time to change the way we do business on defense.

I've always desired a offensive player in Round 1 because you can expect they will get a real opportunity to contribute because they won't be held back.

Chadman
02-15-2013, 09:04 PM
In their desire to get every last drop out of the defensive ploayers I'm not sure we have the kluxury on defense to draft a player in Round 1 or 2 and then let LeBeau put them on a shelf for two years. Time to change the way we do business on defense.

I've always desired a offensive player in Round 1 because you can expect they will get a real opportunity to contribute because they won't be held back.

Prepare to be disappointed.

NorthCoast
02-16-2013, 09:41 AM

Your obsession with playing rookie defensive players is truly amazing. Quite simply it is much easier to lose a game by having a player blow a coverage or miss a tackle. Case in point, Steelers start Anthony Smith at DB in 4 games in 2006. His missed assignments contributed to 2 losses.
There is a reason why LeBeau's defenses are typically top 10, it doesn't happen by chance or luck. His units are almost always prepared. I can think of perhaps only 2 or 3 games in the last decade where they were completely outcoached.
That's pretty good for those who think he is a stuck-in-the-mud coach that doesn't know how to change with the times.