PDA

View Full Version : The Pittsburgh Steelers have Expressed Interest in CFL OL Jovan Olafioye

SteelCrazy
02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have expressed interest in Jovan Olafioye an offensive lineman from the Canadian Football League.

Olafioye has played the last three seasons with the B.C. Lions. Olafioye was the best offensive lineman in the CFL in 2012 and is hoping to make an NFL roster in 2013.

Olafioye has the ability to play both offensive tackle positions. He went unstaffed out of North Carolina Central and signed with the Lions of the CFL.

Fifteen teams have worked out Olafioye, but according to KFFL the Steelers have interest in signing him.

The Steelers have Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, and Kelvin Beachum who can all play tackle, but they will lose Max Starks this off-season.

Olafioye is only 25 so he is equal to an older draft pick, but he already has three years of Pro Football experience.

He also possess tremendous size and is listed at 66″ and 325 pounds.

If the Steelers sign him they will have fewer holes to fill on the offensive line. Olafioye could also fight for a starting job if he is as good as advertised.

http://steelblitz.com/the-pittsburgh-steelers-have-expressed-interest-in-cfl-ol-jovan-olafioye/2568/2013/02/06

BigRob
02-06-2013, 06:00 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have expressed interest in Jovan Olafioye an offensive lineman from the Canadian Football League.

Olafioye has played the last three seasons with the B.C. Lions. Olafioye was the best offensive lineman in the CFL in 2012 and is hoping to make an NFL roster in 2013.

Olafioye has the ability to play both offensive tackle positions. He went unstaffed out of North Carolina Central and signed with the Lions of the CFL.

Fifteen teams have worked out Olafioye, but according to KFFL the Steelers have interest in signing him.

The Steelers have Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, and Kelvin Beachum who can all play tackle, but they will lose Max Starks this off-season.

Olafioye is only 25 so he is equal to an older draft pick, but he already has three years of Pro Football experience.

He also possess tremendous size and is listed at 6’6″ and 325 pounds.

If the Steelers sign him they will have fewer holes to fill on the offensive line. Olafioye could also fight for a starting job if he is as good as advertised.

http://steelblitz.com/the-pittsburgh-steelers-have-expressed-interest-in-cfl-ol-jovan-olafioye/2568/2013/02/06

They had interest in him last year and he couldn't pass medicals. So he went back to the CFL.

He was going to sign with Packers this year, but their medical staff wouldn't clear him. Take the damn risk.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/cfls-top-offensive-lineman-nixed-by-packers-medical-staff/

Jovan Olafioye was named the best offensive lineman in the CFL this season, raising his profile and helping him get a look from NFL teams for the second straight season.For the second straight season, medical issues have kept him from landing a contract. Olafioye was turned down by the Packers’ medical staff after they evaluated his medical records. At issue is medication Olafioye takes because of a family disposition (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/cfl-lineman-doesnt-pass-physical-j98ll3k-189953051.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) toward high blood pressure, according to theMilwaukee Journal Sentinel. Olafioye actually signed a contract with the Rams last year before getting dinged in the physical (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/10/jovan-olafioye-fails-rams-physical-returns-to-cfl/) because, per Olafioye, he’d stopped taking his medication.

The good news is that Olafioye has other suitors. He says the Ravens and Steelers are among a half-dozen teams with interest and he also said that the Packers doctors thought that he’d wind up landing with an NFL team willing to take a bigger risk than they’re willing to take in Green Bay.
“They’re sure I’ll be playing for somebody in the NFL this year,” said Olafioye. “That was encouraging. They said my situation is controllable but they didn’t want to take that risk. With their rules they can’t mess with my situation.”

Given all the interest in CFL pass rushers, it makes sense that there would also be interest in guys that have been able to stop them. Now Olafioye just needs to find a way to convince someone his situation is worth messing with.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-06-2013, 06:47 PM
What is his condition and what is the risk?

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Another story about another prospect who will never play a single down in a regular season game. ZZZzzzzzzzzzz

supersteeler
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Former CFL OT Jovan Olafioye met with the Packers last Thursday
Posted 16 hrs 20 mins ago via rotoworld.com

Former CFL OT Jovan Olafioye met with the Packers last Thursday but was turned down by Green Bay's medical staff. Olafioye went through a similar charade last offseason, agreeing to a deal with the Rams before being released due to medical concerns stemming from hypertension.

Slapstick
02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Another story about another prospect who will never play a single down in a regular season game. ZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, because no players ever come from the CFL to the NFL...

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah, because no players ever come from the CFL to the NFL...

Umm, OK, Flutie, Moon, Garcia, Rocket......keep going. The CFL has been around since 1861. The NFL since 1920 or so. In all that time, how many CFL players successfully transitioned to the NFL since that time? How many players have played in the CFL since the NFL existed and how many ended up being successful in the NFL? What % made the NFL from CFL in that time period? Care to keep the sarcasm going or kind of drop the subject? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-5PX_x33A

BigRob
02-06-2013, 07:59 PM

Another douchey reply from a guy on a message board no one likes. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

BigRob
02-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Umm, OK, Flutie, Moon, Garcia, Rocket......keep going. The CFL has been around since 1861. The NFL since 1920 or so. In all that time, how many CFL players successfully transitioned to the NFL since that time? How many players have played in the CFL since the NFL existed and how many ended up being successful in the NFL? What % made the NFL from CFL in that time period? Care to keep the sarcasm going or kind of drop the subject? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-5PX_x33A

Seen Cameron Wake much?? The guy the Pats signed is supposed to be pretty good.

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Another douchey reply from a guy on a message board no one likes. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

You have broken board rules. You will be hearing from mods.

If they are going to bother with board rules, they surely will enforce them.

You may, from time to time, find yourself in disagreement with someone else's opinion. At times like these, please keep in mind it's safer and more polite to take issue with the comments rather than the person.

Statements or postings that violate the above terms will be deleted from postings upon discovery. While we may attempt to notify you if we move or delete a post, we are under no obligation to do so. Depending on the nature of the violation, the Planet Steelers community at their sole discretion may terminate a customer's account.

o Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member, coach or player.

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Seen Cameron Wake much?? The guy the Pats signed is supposed to be pretty good.

Keep the list going. What % of CFL players ever make it successfully to the NFL? 10%? 5%? 1%? Less than 1%? Keep going. Too many of the CFL guys are losers with too high a body fat %.

BigRob
02-06-2013, 08:29 PM
You have broken board rules. You will be hearing from mods.

If they are going to bother with board rules, they surely will enforce them.

Perhaps they will enforce them against you? Pot meet kettle.

BigRob
02-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Keep the list going. What % of CFL players ever make it successfully to the NFL? 10%? 5%? 1%? Less than 1%? Keep going. Too many of the CFL guys are losers with too high a body fat %.

Wow, what you say would apply to undrafted free agents as well. So, we should never discuss them or bring them up right?
Ever hear of Willie Parker or James Harrison? That's right Douchedroid.

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Perhaps they will enforce them against you? Pot meet kettle.

I have made no ad hominem attacks that I see. I merely questioned the validity of making mention of players highly unlikely to ever play a single down in a real game. That does not fall under the category of name calling. Your assertion, on the other hand, does indeed qualify as being just that: personal attacks made to demean. You should probably grasp the difference as it is a noteworthy contrast.

BigRob
02-06-2013, 09:10 PM
I have made no ad hominem attacks that I see. I merely questioned the validity of making mention of players highly unlikely to ever play a single down in a real game. That does not fall under the category of name calling. Your assertion, on the other hand, does indeed qualify as being just that: personal attacks made to demean. You should probably grasp the difference as it is a noteworthy contrast.

Funny that you think I am only talking about this thread? Enlarge your thinking capacity (an impossibility I know, don't feel bad).

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Wow, what you say would apply to undrafted free agents as well. So, we should never discuss them or bring them up right?
Ever hear of Willie Parker or James Harrison? That's right Douchedroid.

You may, from time to time, find yourself in disagreement with someone else's opinion. At times like these, please keep in mind it's safer and more polite to take issue with the comments rather than the person.

Statements or postings that violate the above terms will be deleted from postings upon discovery. While we may attempt to notify you if we move or delete a post, we are under no obligation to do so. Depending on the nature of the violation, the Planet Steelers community at their sole discretion may terminate a customer's account.

o Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member, coach or player.

I didn't realize Willie Parker of James Harrison were CFL players.

steelerkeylargo
02-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Who cares what percentage make it. I will take one guy who can help our team.

Slapstick
02-07-2013, 07:17 AM

What percentage of players mentioned in draft talk actually make it onto the team?

The one of the purposes of the board is talking about players on the team or who could be...if you don't like it, feel free to not read and/or not respond...the rest of us will not miss your contributions...

BradshawsHairdresser
02-07-2013, 09:41 AM
If he doesn't cost too much, seems to me it would be worth taking a chance on the best offensive lineman in the CFL...

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2013, 10:15 AM
What is the risk on him? Fear of him having a heart attack?

phillyesq
02-07-2013, 10:43 AM
I would hate to see another Korey Stringer type situation, but if the medical staff is comfortable, it can't hurt to give him a look. I would rather go into the season with some option other than Beachum to backup/compete with Adams and Gilbert.

steelblood
02-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a no brainer to me. These are the kind of players we need to add some depth and competition. Even if he pushes Mike Adams to get better, I'd be all for it.

ikestops85
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Sounds like a no brainer to me. These are the kind of players we need to add some depth and competition. Even if he pushes Mike Adams to get better, I'd be all for it.

+1 These are the types of moves we need to make as long as it is fiscally sound.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Looks like he's not willing to jump from the CFL to the NFL for a league minimum salary:

The Baltimore Ravens recently gave him the parameters of an offer that Olafioye said “wasn’t even in the ballpark of what I was thinking of getting.”

lloydroid
02-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Looks like he's not willing to jump from the CFL to the NFL for a league minimum salary:

What's the CFL pay these days? According to this he should find NFL minimum salary very acceptable.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7916967_average-salary-cfl-player.html

Their rookies make a mere $30k. That is loco.

BigRob
02-07-2013, 04:41 PM

Who the heck is this guy's agent. He must be stupid, unless he is making more than that in the CFL. This is very possible as he is considered the best tackle in the CFL (For whatever that's worth).

lloydroid
02-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Who the heck is this guy's agent. He must be stupid, unless he is making more than that in the CFL. This is very possible as he is considered the best tackle in the CFL (For whatever that's worth).

Apparently he thinks he is worthy of making decent OT NFL $, because he can't be comparing to what he makes in the CFL - they don't make peanuts up there. Can he be making much more than $50k at this point? Making $500k would be like a dream for this dude. And, would he pass a physical this time around? He is only 25, 6-6, 325 lbs. I still say its much ado about nothing.

BigRob
02-07-2013, 05:11 PM
I still say its much ado about nothing.

It doesn't matter what you say jabroni!

Ghost
02-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Some numbers I found. If these numbers are remotely true, getting the NFL minimum would be about a 275% salary increase. Why wouldn't he take a 1 or 2 year deal and if he's as great as he thinks; the big money will be there. Wonder how much more than the minimum he's looking to get.

In 2010, the league's team salary cap was $4.2 million Canadian. In 2012 it was 4.35 million canadian.

Starters and CFL superstars may expect to usually earn between $60,000 and $120,000 Canadian

lloydroid
02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
It doesn't matter what you say jabroni!

Ad hominem attacks are not permitted on this board, according to board rules.

Slapstick
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't think it's an issue of league minimum salary...I think it's a matter of getting a chunk of guaranteed money...not millions of dollars, but enough for him to consider making the move...

I think the Rams gave him $80K...not a lot of money, even for a salary cap strapped team, but a king's ransom to most of us...and CFL players...

supersteeler
02-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't think it's an issue of league minimum salary...I think it's a matter of getting a chunk of guaranteed money...not millions of dollars, but enough for him to consider making the move...

I think the Rams gave him $80K...not a lot of money, even for a salary cap strapped team, but a king's ransom to most of us...and CFL players...

Thats probably the case, if he's that good any money spent to sign him would be chump change considering what these guys make in the NFL.