PDA

View Full Version : Shawn's Mock filled with homerism

Shawn
02-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Round 1- Johnathan Hankins-tOSU-NT 6 foot 3 320 pounds, Huge, strong, crazy quick feet, fast for a big guy. He commands double teams and has enough athletic ability to chase running backs sideline to sideline like a linebacker. He can even drop into coverage. This guy is just an athletic freak of nature and one of the best DT’s in tOSU history. He is a man amongst boys game changer and well worth pick 17.

Round 2- Joseph Randle-RB Okie State, 6 foot 200 pounds, I watched a lot of film on this years running backs. I don’t believe we can go another season without a playmaker in the backfield. After watching much lack luster film, I came across Joseph Randle and loved the way this guy ran the ball. I believe him to be the most complete back in the draft. While a bit lanky, he runs with authority, speed, vision and is a force in the passing game. He has break away ability and ability to run between the tackles. I am really excited about this guy.

Round 3- TJ McDonald-SS-USC, this safety was a first round talent last season and made the mistake of coming out in a year with a much stronger safety class. The safeties are deep this year and we should be able to get a quality starter in rounds 2-4. TJ is a complete safety, solid tackler, solid in coverage playing against the best talent in the nation.

Round 4- Da'Rick Rogers-WR-Tenn Tech-6 foot 3-Ben gets his big WR. Ok, I know what you are thinking, the guy is a trouble maker, “druggie” or whatever. I say this guy is a legit first round talent, who loves the game of football and plays with passion. If he get his head on straight he has the ability to be a force in the NFL. While he isn’t blazing fast, but he has very soft hands, knows how to use his frame, and runs hard for YAC. He reminds me a lot of Kenny Britt.

Round 5-Zach Boren-ILB-tOSU-Not sure I have been this excited about an inside linebacker in a long time. From a talent perspective I believe Boren should be a second rounder. He played full back his entire career until an injury gave him an opportunity to try out at ILB. He was an instant force in an unfamiliar position. The guy is a beast, able to take on OLmen, sort through trash with ease, has terrific vision and a nose for the ball. The guy is a playmaker and a traditional thumper…a perfect complement to Timmons.

Round 6-Robert Alford-DB SE Louisiana-5 foot 11 185 pounds of pure athleticism. Quick, nifty, ball hawk…instant help in the return game. I suspect he will run 4.3-4.4 at the combines.

Round 7- Jake Stoneburner-TE-tOSU-As an OSU homer you knew my first mock would be heavy on the Buckeyes. With that said, Stoneburner is one of my favorite players. While I don’t believe him to ever have been used to his ability…never quite shown what he is capable of doing…he has hands speed and height. His blocking is adequate. He could be an x-factor in the passing game…slim him down and he could play wideout. He is certainly worth a shot in round seven

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2013, 06:41 PM
That is a remarkably cogent and comprehensive mock draft whose foundational premises address the Steelers multitudinous deficiencies while providing substantive depth at several essential positions.

mr.me
02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
give me a olb at 3,and a safety at 5 and i love this draft,Stoneburner was underutilized at OSU,think whoever takes this kid is gonna get a steal in the 6th or 7th,hope its us!!!

focosteeler
02-04-2013, 08:09 PM
That is a remarkably cogent and comprehensive mock draft whose foundational premises address the Steelers multitudinous deficiencies while providing substantive depth at several essential positions.

:Bow outstanding

Dee Dub
02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Round 1- Johnathan Hankins-tOSU-NT 6 foot 3 320 pounds, Huge, strong, crazy quick feet, fast for a big guy. He commands double teams and has enough athletic ability to chase running backs sideline to sideline like a linebacker. He can even drop into coverage. This guy is just an athletic freak of nature and one of the best DT’s in tOSU history. He is a man amongst boys game changer and well worth pick 17.

Round 2- Joseph Randle-RB Okie State, 6 foot 200 pounds, I watched a lot of film on this years running backs. I don’t believe we can go another season without a playmaker in the backfield. After watching much lack luster film, I came across Joseph Randle and loved the way this guy ran the ball. I believe him to be the most complete back in the draft. While a bit lanky, he runs with authority, speed, vision and is a force in the passing game. He has break away ability and ability to run between the tackles. I am really excited about this guy.

Round 3- TJ McDonald-SS-USC, this safety was a first round talent last season and made the mistake of coming out in a year with a much stronger safety class. The safeties are deep this year and we should be able to get a quality starter in rounds 2-4. TJ is a complete safety, solid tackler, solid in coverage playing against the best talent in the nation.

Round 4- Da'Rick Rogers-WR-Tenn Tech-6 foot 3-Ben gets his big WR. Ok, I know what you are thinking, the guy is a trouble maker, “druggie” or whatever. I say this guy is a legit first round talent, who loves the game of football and plays with passion. If he get his head on straight he has the ability to be a force in the NFL. While he isn’t blazing fast, but he has very soft hands, knows how to use his frame, and runs hard for YAC. He reminds me a lot of Kenny Britt.

Round 5-Zach Boren-ILB-tOSU-Not sure I have been this excited about an inside linebacker in a long time. From a talent perspective I believe Boren should be a second rounder. He played full back his entire career until an injury gave him an opportunity to try out at ILB. He was an instant force in an unfamiliar position. The guy is a beast, able to take on OLmen, sort through trash with ease, has terrific vision and a nose for the ball. The guy is a playmaker and a traditional thumper…a perfect complement to Timmons.

Round 6-Robert Alford-DB SE Louisiana-5 foot 11 185 pounds of pure athleticism. Quick, nifty, ball hawk…instant help in the return game. I suspect he will run 4.3-4.4 at the combines.

Round 7- Jake Stoneburner-TE-tOSU-As an OSU homer you knew my first mock would be heavy on the Buckeyes. With that said, Stoneburner is one of my favorite players. While I don’t believe him to ever have been used to his ability…never quite shown what he is capable of doing…he has hands speed and height. His blocking is adequate. He could be an x-factor in the passing game…slim him down and he could play wideout. He is certainly worth a shot in round seven

Shawn you know I like Hankins as I expressed this early in this past college season to you but when I look over your draft I see two players, Hankins and McDonald, who both have a ton of physical ability however both seemed to have had down years play-wise. Then there is Da'Rick Rogers who comes with baggage/character issues. As a result not so sure you hit a home run on this one but maybe a stand-up double? A long single off the wall? A little duck-snort over the second baseman's head?

Slapstick
02-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Hankins had a down year?

Dee Dub
02-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Hankins had a down year?

Yes he did. Down from the previous year and not quite as much as was expected from him this year.

55 Tackles 4 TFL's and 1 sack compared to 67 tackles 11 TFL'S and 3 sacks the year before. I think anyone who watched him would say as gifted as he is to only have 4 TFL's this past year is a little less than many expected.

Slapstick
02-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Yes he did. Down from the previous year and not quite as much as was expected from him this year.

55 Tackles 4 TFL's and 1 sack compared to 67 tackles 11 TFL'S and 3 sacks the year before. I think anyone who watched him would say as gifted as he is to only have 4 TFL's this past year is a little less than many expected.

Ah...I didn't realize it was simply a box score/stat thing...

Chadman
02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
If the Steelers came away from Draft Weekend with Hankins, Randle & Rogers- Chadman would be ecstatic.

The rest are ok, but those 3 are great.

Dee Dub
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Ah...I didn't realize it was simply a box score/stat thing...

Well yeah I get it, he does a lot for that defense but come on, as big and as dominate as he is physically do you not want to see more than 4 splash plays in the opponents backfield all year? Do you not think that from the year before he had a down year? And that more was expected out of him? Very pedestrian like numbers for him.

Slapstick
02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Well yeah I get it, he does a lot for that defense but come on, as big and as dominate as he is physically do you not want to see more than 4 splash plays in the opponents backfield all year? Do you not think that from the year before he had a down year? And that more was expected out of him? Very pedestrian like numbers for him.

Even Casey Hampton in his prime didn't produce a lot of splash plays for us...

With guys like that, I just watch the tape...

Shawn
02-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I have been watching him since he was a freshman...I know what he does play to play...as I keep my eyes on him. He is a freak...dominates...gets push on two guys at a time...makes plays on the edge...drops back into coverage on some plays. Honestly I don't remember the Buckeyes ever having a guy this athletic at that size on the DL. His numbers dropped because he was getting keyed in on...more and more teams having to put two guys on him. Sometimes numbers don't tell the whole story.

Dee Dub
02-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Even Casey Hampton in his prime didn't produce a lot of splash plays for us...

With guys like that, I just watch the tape...

Two different schemes. On a 3-4 you need the NT to be able to take on two blocks since there are only 3 down linemen. Ohio States runs 4-3 one-gap under or over. And with that you need the interior linemen to make plays. There were times when they would run a nickle over where Hankins was a 3-technique and occupied two blockers, however that isnt their base. And in their base he is shaded over a gap. Often times this past year he took plays off and never really created much of a pass rush. For Casey Hampton that's fine but not for Jonathan Hankins out of Ohio States 4-3.

Slapstick
02-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Two different schemes. On a 3-4 you need the NT to be able to take on two blocks since there are only 3 down linemen. Ohio States runs 4-3 one-gap under or over. And with that you need the interior linemen to make plays. There were times when they would run a nickle over where Hankins was a 3-technique and occupied two blockers, however that isnt their base. And in their base he is shaded over a gap. Often times this past year he took plays off and never really created much of a pass rush. For Casey Hampton that's fine but not for Jonathan Hankins out of Ohio States 4-3.

But, Ohio State doesn't run a simple one-gap 4-3...the best description of their D is a hybrid 4-3/3-4...the Buckeyes will often walk their weak side DE (Leo) off the line and slide their D Linemen into the traditional 3-4 techniques...they have done so for years...

SS Laser
02-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Did I not read the Ohio State defense was close to Dick Lebeau's? That is one reason Heyward was picked? Or was I dreaming?

Shawn
02-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Did I not read the Ohio State defense was close to Dick Lebeau's? That is one reason Heyward was picked? Or was I dreaming?

Slap is correct. The Buckeyes play both 4-3 and 3-4.

Slapstick
02-06-2013, 07:39 PM

This is why guys like Mike Kudla, Doug Worthington, Thaddeus Gibson, Cameron Heyward and Brian Rolle have been brought in...a lot of what the Buckeye defenders are asked to do is similar to what Steeler defenders are asked to do...

BigRob
02-06-2013, 08:02 PM
I really like Joseph Randle at running back. I could see an OL, TE, RB, and/or WR combination in the first four rounds. I think the offense is going to get a lot of picks this year.

I'm not saying it will be these positions exactly, but I think offense could be 3 out of the first 4 rounds in some form or fashion.

Dee Dub
02-06-2013, 08:22 PM

I didn't argue that. But again their base defense is a 4-3 one gap over or under. What they do in sub-packages has nothing to do with anything (in regards to this discussion).

And again neither the 4-3 or 3-4 Ohio State ran has anything to do with Jonathan Hankins down year. He had a down year...period. And you throwing around the dominate word really didnt translate to making plays.

I think he is an All-World talent but I am concerned about him taking plays off and his mediocre performance this year.

Shawn
02-07-2013, 01:19 AM
I didn't argue that. But again their base defense is a 4-3 one gap over or under. What they do in sub-packages has nothing to do with anything (in regards to this discussion).

And again neither the 4-3 or 3-4 Ohio State ran has anything to do with Jonathan Jenkins down year. He had a down year...period. And you throwing around the dominate word really didnt translate to making plays.

I think he is an All-World talent but I am concerned about him taking plays off and his mediocre performance this year.

And because you say he had a down year by looking at a stat sheet means little to me. He was actually better this year, but I watched teams try to take him out of the game. And the only guys I see saying he took plays off are guys that are not Buckeye fans...guys who didn't watch him in but a few games.

grotonsteel
02-07-2013, 02:35 AM
I like your draft Shawn esp. first 4 picks.

It would instantly upgrade the Steelers roster IMO.

Slapstick
02-07-2013, 07:09 AM

And, again, you are missing the point...

It isn't a sub-package...the 4-3/3-4 hybrid IS the base defense...the entire point is to duplicate the effect of a sub-package without having to substitute any players...

steelblood
02-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Hankins-on this surface, this appears to be a luxury pick as NTs don't play as much as they used to (in today's passing NFL), and we have some guys who can play the position. However, I like it as Hankins could be a Vince Wolfork type. He would collapse the pocket even in nickel situation.

Randle-I like this pick as well. Randle is a bit under-sized (6', 200 lbs) for an insider runner. But, he is VERY explosive and is a great pass receiver (he could even play WR). I do not think he is an every down back. But, he can get 15-20 touches and be very effective.

McDonald-This is the only pick that I don't like. I thought McDonald was abused at times in coverage this season. I don't think he will be a good "back half" NFL safety.

Rogers-In the fourth?! That would be a huge steal. I don't give a crap about the character concerns if we get this player here. This guy has 1st round talent. Mike who?

Boren-I love your description. I did not get to see enough of Boren in coverage to have an opinion on his overall game.

Alford-after the Senior Bowl, I think he is a 4th rounder at worst. But, I like the pick very much.

Stoneburner-he always looks awkward to me when I watch OSU. But, he is effective. I've noticed that one of his best assets is his ability to read a zone and settle into the seams and holes. He seems like a smart player.

Good job, Shawn!

Dee Dub
02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
And because you say he had a down year by looking at a stat sheet means little to me. He was actually better this year, but I watched teams try to take him out of the game. And the only guys I see saying he took plays off are guys that are not Buckeye fans...guys who didn't watch him in but a few games.

For me and the 17th overall pick, I need more splash plays than 4 all year. But that is just me. And I saw nearly every one of Ohio States games last year. Before this year I was all over Hankins. But I saw some things this year that concern me. One is he seemed fatigued and often took plays off. If you watch him he tends to wear down as the game goes on. At least mores so this past year than two years ago.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-07-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm going to ask some of you something that I do when I'm grading out someone at their position "versus" the draft board for a given year.

If Phil Taylor or Dan Williams was in this draft, where do you grade Hankins? That is part of my thinking process.

I'm a PSU homer. PSU doesn't have even "good" OL and I was not impressed with Hankins against them. He fits the Steelers 1st round mold of an underclassman but I think #17 is very high. JMO

BigRob
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm going to ask some of you something that I do when I'm grading out someone at their position "versus" the draft board for a given year.

If Phil Taylor or Dan Williams was in this draft, where do you grade Hankins? That is part of my thinking process.

I'm a PSU homer. PSU doesn't have even "good" OL and I was not impressed with Hankins against them. He fits the Steelers 1st round mold of an underclassman but I think #17 is very high. JMO

You can compare him to John Jenkins as well, very similar type players. Where do you have Jenkins?

I put Jenkins and Hankins behind Taylor and in front of Williams.

Shawn
02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
For me and the 17th overall pick, I need more splash plays than 4 all year. But that is just me. And I saw nearly every one of Ohio States games last year. Before this year I was all over Hankins. But I saw some things this year that concern me. One is he seemed fatigued and often took plays off. If you watch him he tends to wear down as the game goes on. At least mores so this past year than two years ago.

And I think that opinion is reasonable. The Steelers may agree with you. But for me, I think an anchor to a 3-4 D is well worth the 17. He won't make any highlight reels...nor will he be asked to make "splash plays". I do think there is some worth to the opinion of his stamina. With all of that said, he is a guy who can get push...disrupt lanes...and allow the linebackers to look all world. And for me, that is worth the price of admission.

Dee Dub
02-07-2013, 07:05 PM
And I think that opinion is reasonable. The Steelers may agree with you. But for me, I think an anchor to a 3-4 D is well worth the 17. He won't make any highlight reels...nor will he be asked to make "splash plays". I do think there is some worth to the opinion of his stamina. With all of that said, he is a guy who can get push...disrupt lanes...and allow the linebackers to look all world. And for me, that is worth the price of admission.

I'm ok with a 3-4 NT at 17. Just want one who I feel is worthy of the pick. Before I had no concerns about Hankins. But after this past season I now have some. I dont think that at 17 with those questions that is what is best for the Steelers. If you are dominate, then I am going to expect to see some dominance. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they traded back and got him, but at 17...I dont know if that is a good fit.

Slapstick
02-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I like Hankins, but #17 is even earlier than where the Steelers picked Casey...

Now, with the proliferation of 3-4 defenses, a team may have to pay a premium to draft a premium position like NT...

SteelBucks
02-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Nice Shawn. McShay's latest mock also has Hankins to the Steelers at 17.

supersteeler
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Shawn,
While your mock is pretty good, I would have second thoughts about Hankins. JMO, but I think either Jessie Williams or Jenkins would be better at NT.

Weaknesses: Hankins relies too much on his upper-body strength at times and needs to play with consistent leverage. He uses his body too much and needs to consistently utilize his hands and limbs.

Hankins doesn't always play smart with several penalties on his resume, including a late hit on the quarterback (vs. Michigan State in 2012). He tends to wear down throughout the course of a game and give streaky effort, looking fatigued and noticeably taking plays off.

We can't afford a Dwyer at NT, looking to come out because of fatigue.

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Nice Shawn. McShay's latest mock also has Hankins to the Steelers at 17.

McShay sucks, so by way of the transitive property, Shawn's mock now sucks too. :p

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2013, 05:27 PM
We can't afford a Dwyer at NT, looking to come out because of fatigue.

Nose tackles are only 2 down players in the NFL nowadays. Even Dwyer can play 2 downs in a row. :D

Dee Dub
02-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Nose tackles are only 2 down players in the NFL nowadays. Even Dwyer can play 2 downs in a row. :D

Yep!! That is a big reason why I am not a big fan of drafting one at number 17. Unless he is a Hiloti Ngata type, or for this year Star Lotulelei, who can play over the nose and also kick outside to DE and play 3 downs, I'd prefer to go a different route.