PDA

View Full Version : Post game SB interviews revealed why Ravens are better: chemistry

lloydroid
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
It wasn't an act. They weren't saying it just to say it. The Ravens, to a man, kept saying that they honestly loved each other, that the players and coaches all had each others' backs. To a man, with every question asked, what was revealed was that the team truly and immensely were brothers. No matter what questions were asked, no matter how directed to the person, not the team, they all answered in a team fashion.

The last few SB years, the Steelers had such unity. Last, and other recent disappointing seasons, they did not. It was obvious last year that some players were ticked off and bad apples. And, with Ben himself, it doesn't appear all the players are on board with him either.

If they don't get team unity fixed, they won't make any noise. Unity and chemistry is a must. Losing the Wards, Smiths, Farrriors has left us with hole in leadership and chemistry. If they don't fix that, nothing else will matter. And with Ben being an immature child, someone else is going to have to make this happen. I don't see an easy fix.

Ghost
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
When you talk about Leadership there's a concept called the lid. Basically, leadership is the "lid" that determines a person's level of effectiveness. The higher the ability to lead, the higher their potential will be. Maybe Ben's lid has been overestimated. Maybe he's got freakish talents (as well as size and the ability to endure pain & punishment) but the Steelers need to determine who will really step up and lead this team. Who can rally the troops to be at their best? Deal with guys being stupid. Call people out if needed. Everyone knows Ben is not going anywhere, anytime soon, but is that enough to truly follow?

I'd love to see him and Haley spending the offseason with a singular purpose in mind - make this offense a machine. Work together and energize this team such that losing is not an option.

I want ben giving the "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" speech and the team doesn't stop him because "he's on a roll!"

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
The owner who brought the team to Baltimore died.

The sole face of the franchise annouced he's retiring after 17 seasons.

A former player who now works in the front office was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease and now gives the team motivational speeches from a mechanical talking wheelchair like Steven Hawking.

Their former defensive coordinator from just last season, was diagnosed with leukemia shortly after starting his first year as a head coach.

Think having all of these things happening to the Ravens in one season had just a teensy bit to do with their "Win one for this Gipper, and that Gipper, and don't forget the other Gipper over there" mentality?

Sugar
02-04-2013, 05:06 PM
I think there's a lot to having a "why" to things that you do. The talent level in the NFL is very close. All of these guys are the cream of the crop and have been their whole athletic lives. The thing that can get people over talent is the will to win. This year, they were clearly inspired after all the things Ruthless cited above.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-05-2013, 12:06 AM
And here I thought the "chemistry" referred to in the title of this thread had to do with extract made from deer antlers or something like that...

Chadman
02-05-2013, 12:24 AM
It wasn't an act.

Everything Ray Lewis does is an act.

Chemistry plays it's part. That's for sure. It's not the biggest difference between the Ravens & say, the Steelers...but it plays it's part.

If we want to lay the blame on the Steelers woes on 'chemistry'- what was the single most 'chemistry-destroying' moment in the 2012 season?

Give you a hint- it has nothing to do with Ben, Wallace, Woodley or Mendenhall.

papillon
02-05-2013, 07:52 AM

Chemistry plays it's part. That's for sure. It's not the biggest difference between the Ravens & say, the Steelers...but it plays it's part.

If we want to lay the blame on the Steelers woes on 'chemistry'- what was the single most 'chemistry-destroying' moment in the 2012 season?

The Bruce Arians fiasco and to a degree Art II meddling, IMO.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
02-05-2013, 08:55 AM
IMO chemistry is the RESULT of success, not the CAUSE of success.

It's easy to "love" each other when you're winning.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-05-2013, 09:43 AM

Can't be firing Arians, because three of the four you mentioned played under Arians. I'd have to guess the answer to your question is Tomlin firing the STs coach...that had nothing to do with Ben, Wallace, Woodley, or Mendenhall since none of them were playing STs.

Chadman
02-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Can't be firing Arians, because three of the four you mentioned played under Arians. I'd have to guess the answer to your question is Tomlin firing the STs coach...that had nothing to do with Ben, Wallace, Woodley, or Mendenhall since none of them were playing STs.

Dammit.....dammit, dammit, dammit...

steelz09
02-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Tomlin is considered to be a great "motivator". This team lacked leadership, lacked motivation, and completely lacked a "sense of urgency". On top of that, they played sloppy football and our HC didn't exactly coach very well either.

The Ravens were better in each of these areas. I don't think the Ravens have a much more (if at all) talented team than us.

feltdizz
02-05-2013, 01:00 PM
..and if Baltimore lost on the last second it would be SF's chemistry, drafting and HC...

Chemistry had nothing to do with it... they made plays when they needed to.

Every time a team wins the SB everyone runs out and says "we need what they have" to win. All I saw was a team who didn't quit, a team who wanted it and never felt like the game was over. We USED to play like that but I think our new crop of players mailed it in or expected magic to happen instead of pushing themselves a little harder.

...and sometimes it's just not your year but this year I think it's a little more than that. GILBERT has no heart and fell on everybody. WALLACE was in lala land... Brown had a few brain farts, Sanders stays dinged up....

and our D can't generate TO's

lloydroid
02-05-2013, 07:41 PM
I want ben giving the "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" speech and the team doesn't stop him because "he's on a roll!"

:) Fo wheel. He kind of is John Belushi giving that speech, to be honest. I don't think Ben commands respect, due most likely to his actions not resembling his sideline pep speeches. Yes, he is a gamer during games, but is he perceived as a BS'er and goof when not on the field?

lloydroid
02-05-2013, 07:42 PM
..and if Baltimore lost on the last second it would be SF's chemistry, drafting and HC...

Chemistry had nothing to do with it... they made plays when they needed to.

Every time a team wins the SB everyone runs out and says "we need what they have" to win. All I saw was a team who didn't quit, a team who wanted it and never felt like the game was over. We USED to play like that but I think our new crop of players mailed it in or expected magic to happen instead of pushing themselves a little harder.

...and sometimes it's just not your year but this year I think it's a little more than that. GILBERT has no heart and fell on everybody. WALLACE was in lala land... Brown had a few brain farts, Sanders stays dinged up....

and our D can't generate TO's

And all the things you mentioned as reasons for winning are greatly enhanced with good team chemistry. If you don't realize this, I don't know what to tell you.

lloydroid
02-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Tomlin is considered to be a great "motivator". This team lacked leadership, lacked motivation, and completely lacked a "sense of urgency". On top of that, they played sloppy football and our HC didn't exactly coach very well either.

The Ravens were better in each of these areas. I don't think the Ravens have a much more (if at all) talented team than us.

They had team unity going down the stretch. We did not. There are many possible reasons for it, but there is no question this team did not have a good chemistry going.

lloydroid
02-05-2013, 07:47 PM

Oh, on the contrary, when your team leaders are not a unified part of the team, they very much are a big cause of team lacking chemistry. You just know that both Mendenhall and Wallace were griping into teammates ears about how bad the coaching and front office suck and that rubs off and leads to a lack of unity. You don't think so? If you have ever been part of a team (athletic or other) you'd know that a handful of bad apples complaining about things leads to bad chemistry.

lloydroid
02-05-2013, 07:49 PM
IMO chemistry is the RESULT of success, not the CAUSE of success.

It's easy to "love" each other when you're winning.

Not true. When Pgh made their runs in 2005 and 2008, they experienced a lot of adversity before they found themselves and righted the ship. Chemistry came before success did, to a big degree.

Sugar
02-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Oh, on the contrary, when your team leaders are not a unified part of the team, they very much are a big cause of team lacking chemistry. You just know that both Mendenhall and Wallace were griping into teammates ears about how bad the coaching and front office suck and that rubs off and leads to a lack of unity. You don't think so? If you have ever been part of a team (athletic or other) you'd know that a handful of bad apples complaining about things leads to bad chemistry.

Did you record these conversations when you were in the locker room/practice field hearing these things?

Chadman
02-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Did you record these conversations when you were in the locker room/practice field hearing these things?

"fo wheel.."

;)

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 03:49 PM

Do you know how to perceive the abundantly obvious?

Sugar
02-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Do you know how to perceive the abundantly obvious?

I sure do. That's why I was thinking that you must have had some additional information because what you were saying was NOT abundantly obvious.

supersteeler
02-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Joey Porter was OUR Ray Lewis, heck he told ray to get out of the bus so he could kick his arse.
Joey was missed in that regard, so where is our next Jpeezy?

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/11/Joey_Porter_01.jpg

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I sure do. That's why I was thinking that you must have had some additional information because what you were saying was NOT abundantly obvious.

Hmmm, so a guy who is under contract blows off all team activities until the season starts and when he does show up, he gives less than a half effort and mops around every where, drops easy balls, laughs when he drops TD passes, won't bend over to catch ball below his waist....and you think he was doing a bang up job in team unity? Another player fumbles balls all the time and got so jaded at one point he didn't even show up on game day. And in your judgment, that guy was, simultaneously to all that, offering strong team unity as well? What color is the sky in "Oblivious Land?"

Sugar
02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Joey Porter was OUR Ray Lewis, heck he told ray to get out of the bus so he could kick his arse.
Joey was missed in that regard, so where is our next Jpeezy?

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/11/Joey_Porter_01.jpg

I've wondered that myself. Our top D playmakers (Troy/Deebo) are both cold-blooded assassins, not smack talkers. I thought maybe Woodley might be that guy, but he kind of fell off last year.

Sugar
02-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Hmmm, so a guy who is under contract blows off all team activities until the season starts and when he does show up, he gives less than a half effort and mops around every where, drops easy balls, laughs when he drops TD passes, won't bend over to catch ball below his waist....and you think he was doing a bang up job in team unity? Another player fumbles balls all the time and got so jaded at one point he didn't even show up on game day. And in your judgment, that guy was, simultaneously to all that, offering strong team unity as well? What color is the sky in "Oblivious Land?"

I'm not sure who you are talking about for the first guy. Since you called out Wallace earlier I thought you might mean him but he didn't blow off any team activities while under contract. He also led the team in TD's even though he had a down year. I'm also guessing the next guy is RM since you called him out earlier too. I would have no idea how either of them contributed, or not, to team unity. I'm not the one claiming that they were saying divisive things to their team mates. That's why I was asking for whatever evidence you had that showed that they were. Baron Batch had a crappy year too, but you don't seem to be saying that he was being divisive.

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure who you are talking about for the first guy. Since you called out Wallace earlier I thought you might mean him but he didn't blow off any team activities while under contract. He also led the team in TD's even though he had a down year. I'm also guessing the next guy is RM since you called him out earlier too. I would have no idea how either of them contributed, or not, to team unity. I'm not the one claiming that they were saying divisive things to their team mates. That's why I was asking for whatever evidence you had that showed that they were. Baron Batch had a crappy year too, but you don't seem to be saying that he was being divisive.

There is a vast difference between a crappy year and being so disgruntled that you fail to even show up for game day. So, in your world when a team deactivates the starting RB for reasons other than an injury, that it's a sign that the player must have a really great team attitude? And then when same player doesn't even physically show up for game day, it is more evidence of showcasing team unity?

Seriously. You don't see these cases of obvious wet turd attitudes? You are oblivious to seeing the obvious?

Sugar
02-06-2013, 07:13 PM
There is a vast difference between a crappy year and being so disgruntled that you fail to even show up for game day. So, in your world when a team deactivates the starting RB for reasons other than an injury, that it's a sign that the player must have a really great team attitude? And then when same player doesn't even physically show up for game day, it is more evidence of showcasing team unity?

Seriously. You don't see these cases of obvious wet turd attitudes? You are oblivious to seeing the obvious?

Yes, there is a vast difference between a crappy year and being disgruntled. This starting RB had a crappy game and got benched. It says nothing about his team attitude. Tomlin had gotten better performance out of him in the past when he benched him and brought him back, so that wasn't without precedent.

You still haven't shown your evidence that RM or MW were saying bad things about the coaching or organization to their team mates.

supersteeler
02-06-2013, 07:19 PM
It's too bad things didn't work out for us with Mendy and Wallace. Wallace wanted more than the Steelers were willing to pay, while Mendy had injuries that set him back.
I think both these guys will help another team and play well, no matter if you like them or not, they have talent and talent costs money that some team will be willing to pay for.

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 09:18 PM
It's too bad things didn't work out for us with Mendy and Wallace. Wallace wanted more than the Steelers were willing to pay, while Mendy had injuries that set him back.
I think both these guys will help another team and play well, no matter if you like them or not, they have talent and talent costs money that some team will be willing to pay for.

Yes, both will be on someone's roster, but BOTH screwed up big time in terms of how large a contract they will NOW get coming off a season where they were "down" with poor attitudes. Talent yes, but bad tudes bring their value down, without question.

lloydroid
02-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Yes, there is a vast difference between a crappy year and being disgruntled. This starting RB had a crappy game and got benched. It says nothing about his team attitude. Tomlin had gotten better performance out of him in the past when he benched him and brought him back, so that wasn't without precedent.

You still haven't shown your evidence that RM or MW were saying bad things about the coaching or organization to their team mates.

This isn't a court of law; the obvious writing on the wall is good enough to realize what the truth is.

Sugar
02-06-2013, 11:08 PM
This isn't a court of law; the obvious writing on the wall is good enough to realize what the truth is.

Who is talking about a court of law? You made statements that these guys were saying things to disrupt the team. I still haven't seen anything "obvious" to suggest otherwise. The only things that you've shown are that they had a down year. The numbers bear that out. Heck, I'd even be interested in a media report that one of them said something against the coaches or FO to their team mates. Do you have anything other than speculation??

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Ravens are ahead of the Steelers, but change can come quickly

By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, February 5, 2013

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Iquom dwNq$vQn5oNWbEqYc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYv0rYrdSyfeAl8 77i$8XcrIWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

NEW ORLEANS — It can change that quickly.

Two months and three days since the Steelers won at Baltimore behind Charlie Batch, the Ravens — despite losing four of five to end the season — are Super Bowl champions.

“This has been a long journey, and I don't think it would be quite as enjoyable as it would have been if we hadn't gone through all this stuff,” quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco said Monday.

With the Steelers facing major issues at wide receiver, running back and possibly cornerback, the question is whether the Ravens — by winning their second Super Bowl — have lengthened the distance that already existed between the two rivals.

When the Ravens won their other Super Bowl in 2000, they were 12-4 and the Steelers were third at 9-7. But a season later, the Steelers went 13-3 to the Ravens' 10-6 and beat Baltimore in the playoffs.

So how do the Ravens and Steelers match up right now for 2013?

QUARTERBACK: Flacco will be back with the Ravens, even if it costs them about $20 million. He said Monday he wants to be “a Raven for life.” Ben Roethlisberger has won two Super Bowls.

RUNNING BACK: The Steelers are coming off their second-worst rushing season in 30 years and don't have a clear-cut lead runner. The Ravens bring back two Pro Bowlers: Ray Rice and fullback Vonta Leach.

WIDE RECEIVER: Torrey Smith, Anquan Boldin and Jacoby Jones all return on a Ravens offense on which only left tackle Bryant McKinnie is an unrestricted free agent. The Steelers might lose top downfield threat Mike Wallace.

OFFENSIVE LINE: The Steelers could lose two of their steadiest players regardless of position in Max Starks and Ramon Foster, leaving them with potentially their most inexperienced lines in years. Guards Kelechi Osemele and Marshal Yanda, center Matt Birk and right tackle Michael Oher all return on the Ravens line.

DEFENSIVE LINE: The Steelers are expected to shed Casey Hampton, which puts even more pressure on Ziggy Hood, Cam Heyward and Steve McLendon to produce. All the Ravens' starters are back.

LINEBACKERS: Once the Steelers' strength, they need LaMarr Woodley to have a bounce back year and James Harrison to stay healthy. Larry Foote may leave. For the Ravens, 13-time Pro Bowl linebacker Ray Lewis will retire, and inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe is an unrestricted free agent.

SECONDARY: The Ravens face a potential shakeup with cornerback Cary Williams and safety Ed Reed both unrestricted free agents. Cornerback Corey Graham and safety Bernard Pollard return. Steelers safeties Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark are getting older but both figure to start next season unless a surprise move is made. Cornerback Keenan Lewis could leave as an unrestricted free agent.

SPECIAL TEAMS: The punters and kickers for both teams are under contract.

http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/3422738-74/ravens-steelers-bowl#ixzz2KBhU3tip

Slapstick
02-07-2013, 07:12 AM
The Ravens could very well cut either Boldin or Jacoby Jones...or both...

Putting the double-secret franchise tag will put a hurting on their cap...

Also, Paul Krueger is a UFA, IIRC...

papillon
02-07-2013, 11:41 AM
The Ravens could very well cut either Boldin or Jacoby Jones...or both...

Putting the double-secret franchise tag will put a hurting on their cap...

Also, Paul Krueger is a UFA, IIRC...

I doubt Jacoby Jones gets cut, he's a dual threat in the return game and in the passing game, that wouldn't make much sense to me, but I'm not a GM. Krueger is a pass rushing specialist,it will be curious to see where his value falls once he hits the market, if he hits the market. I could see Boldin being cut, but it will be a difficult decision, he was boss for Flacco this year, Larry Fitzgerald may be the only receiver in the league that battles for every ball thrown his way better than Boldin. He was stinkin awesome this year.

Pappy

lloydroid
02-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Who is talking about a court of law? You made statements that these guys were saying things to disrupt the team. I still haven't seen anything "obvious" to suggest otherwise. The only things that you've shown are that they had a down year. The numbers bear that out. Heck, I'd even be interested in a media report that one of them said something against the coaches or FO to their team mates. Do you have anything other than speculation??

Look, you obviously don't possess much insight, even when dealing with the obvious. I guess in your world, when someone literally doesn't show up for work, for no reason, other than they are pouting, they are saying only great things about their employer. If you believe this, have a lollipop and enjoy a pony ride.

feltdizz
02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Look, you obviously don't possess much insight, even when dealing with the obvious. I guess in your world, when someone literally doesn't show up for work, for no reason, other than they are pouting, they are saying only great things about their employer. If you believe this, have a lollipop and enjoy a pony ride.

So.... the answer is no.

lloydroid
02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
So.... the answer is no.

The answer is being able to observe the obvious. You don't need a sworn testimony to know what is what. Fo wheel.

feltdizz
02-07-2013, 07:40 PM
So... the answer is no. Ha

Chadman
02-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Nah Felt- he's right. The only difference between 8-8 & winning the SB is removing Wallace & Mendenhall. They were the problem. But it's ok- they are leaving. As a result, there will be no more injuries. The OL will tranform into Pro Bowlers. The DL will give us flashbacks of Mean Joe. Harrison will magically get better, even as he gets older. The playcalling will be faultless. The upper management won't need to get involved in coaching hires & fires. Ben will never get hurt. Brown will live up to the $6.2m the team invested in him. Scrub RB's like Dwyer & Redman will eclipse anything Jerome Bettis ever gave the team. Ike Taylor will improve, at 34.

Steelers will go undefeated next year now.

Happy days.

ikestops85
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Nah Felt- he's right. The only difference between 8-8 & winning the SB is removing Wallace & Mendenhall. They were the problem. But it's ok- they are leaving. As a result, there will be no more injuries. The OL will tranform into Pro Bowlers. The DL will give us flashbacks of Mean Joe. Harrison will magically get better, even as he gets older. The playcalling will be faultless. The upper management won't need to get involved in coaching hires & fires. Ben will never get hurt. Brown will live up to the $6.2m the team invested in him. Scrub RB's like Dwyer & Redman will eclipse anything Jerome Bettis ever gave the team. Ike Taylor will improve, at 34.

Happy days.

Ike wants to live in Chadland. :D

lloydroid
02-08-2013, 08:18 PM

Happy days.

Do they understand what straw man arguments are down under?

Chadman
02-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Ike wants to live in Chadland. :D

Alas, that isn't Chadland. It's another posters place of residence.

Although the cost of living there is cheap, the neighbours are wankers.

DukieBoy
02-10-2013, 03:52 PM
http://www.theonion.com/video/new-orleans-police-struggle-to-contain-rioting-ray,31157/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=standard-post:headline:default