PDA

View Full Version : Arians vs Haley: Peter King via PFF

costanza2k1
01-28-2013, 07:03 PM
The Deep End

Each week, thanks to play-by-play game dissection by ProFootballFocus.com, I'll look at one important matchup or individual performance metric from one of the Sunday games. PFF czar Neil Horsnby's take on Bruce Arians taking over the Arizona Cardinals --and leaving Indianapolis:"How quickly things change in the NFL. Slightly over a year ago the Pittsburgh Steelers were replacing Bruce Arians as their offensive coordinator with Todd Haley and now, on the back of a remarkable season with Indianapolis, he is Arizona's new coach."Without Arians as his mentor, this was probably Ben Roethlisberger's best year; at PFF we gave him his highest grade by some margin, seeing his percentage of poor throws drop from 16.4 percent in 2011 to 10.5 this year. The truth is the offense wasn't at the heart of the Steelers' problems this year, but the defense, while still good, slipped from its suffocating best and allowed 5.4 points more per game."There was only one significant difference between the Arians- and Haley-coached Steelers offense: Pittsburgh didn't throw deep nearly as much this year. In 2011 Roethlisberger threw deep (over 20 yards) on 13.6 percent of his drop-backs (good for ninth among ranked quarterbacks) while in 2012 that number dropped to 10.5 percent (26th). He threw far fewer posts and corners and compensated with more hitches to his wideouts and passes to the backs."In Indianapolis, Arians brought the deep ball with him. He had Andrew Luck air it out (going over 20 yards) on 15.9 percent of his throws. And while the rookie may have been inconsistent, he was also remarkably resilient. He was knocked to the ground 148 times during the season, an unbelievable 32 percent more than any other player, and never missed a snap. In fact, it could have been considerably worse but for Luck proving to be a skilled scrambler as well, actually rushing for more yards than Cam Newton when forced out of the pocket."What does it mean for Arizona quarterbacks, whoever they may be in 2013? Based on the evidence from Pittsburgh and Indianapolis, implementing a long-ball passing game requires a number of things. First, an accurate quarterback. Roethlisberger in 2011 wasn't great, with a 34 percent completion rate over 20 yards, while Luck was very good in 2012 at 43 percent. Second, without a great offensive line, you need to accept your QB will be hit regularly and needs to be able to take his knocks. Even the incredibly tough Roethlisberger suffered in this regard."As a group, the Cardinals' current passer threw deep on only 8.6 percent of 2012 dropbacks and had a 22 percent accuracy rate when doing so. The offensive line, while improving, is still poor and the fragility of the guys behind them is well known. Kevin Kolb made strides this year and it would be wrong to write him off as an option, but it seems unlikely he'll fit the bill as another Andrew Luck. So who else could fit the bill? In 2011 Matt Moore threw deep on 17 percent of throws, with an accuracy rate of 48 percent in the Dolphins late-season resurgence. Matt Flynn has a much sturdier frame, although his body of work is limited before you even consider trade value ... and who knows if Seattle would trade him within the division?"Arians faced the same difficult task turning around the Indianapolis offense in 2012 as he will with the Cardinals in 2013. One slight difference in the two places: He won't have Luck to work with in Arizona."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130121/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-conference-championships/#ixzz2JJXsznxH (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130121/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-conference-championships/#ixzz2JJXsznxH)

supersteeler
01-28-2013, 08:53 PM
My eyes hurt.

costanza2k1
01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
yeah I don't know what happened with that font...I'll try to change it.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I think Andrew Luck will thrive with his Stanford O.C. (Pep Hamilton) coming to Indy to replace Arians as O.C.

The kid is smart and accurate, so he should blossom further with shorter, quick passing game, including less sacks and less interceptions as well.

Arians, on the other hand, inherits a crap OL and a crap QB situation in the desert. Whoever lines up under center for the Cards is likely to get himself killed after one or two 7-step drop calls.

NorthCoast
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
King really needs to factor in Ben's injury. As I already noted in another thread, the pace of deep balls was almost the same in 2012 as in 2011 pre-injury. Post-injury the O under Ben was really reigned in, whether intentional or not.

Oviedo
02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
King really needs to factor in Ben's injury. As I already noted in another thread, the pace of deep balls was almost the same in 2012 as in 2011 pre-injury. Post-injury the O under Ben was really reigned in, whether intentional or not.

Without the injury Ben would have had the best season of his career and we would have made the play offs. He was never the same after he got hurt.

hawaiiansteel
06-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Sean Payton, Bruce Arians among best play-callers in NFL today

NFL.com
June 8, 2013

We're still three months away from meaningful plays, but play-calling is always a hot topic. Just this week, the Dallas Cowboys officially announced that offensive coordinator Bill Callahan will take over play-calling duties from head coach Jason Garrett. Meanwhile, Sean Payton said the New Orleans Saints have yet to nail down their offensive chain of command.

Obviously, this is an area of chief importance across the league, begging one simple question: Who is the best offensive play-caller in the NFL?

Jason Smith
NFL.com

Bruce Arians is finally getting his due as an offensive genius

It's Bruce Arians, and everyone else. Now you know why, without a marquee running back, the Pittsburgh Steelers were so dominant while he was calling plays for them. He finally got his credit last season, as the Indianapolis Colts surprised everyone by winning 11 games with a rookie quarterback, average talent at wide receiver and tight end, and below-average talent in the backfield. And remember how the Colts did it? By driving long distances late in games to beat Minnesota, Green Bay, Tennessee and Detroit -- in addition to being able to salt away other games late with time-consuming drives.

Arians is what you'd call a late bloomer, but it's terrific that he's at the party. And even though he hired Harold Goodwin to be his offensive coordinator in Arizona, Arians will still call the plays for the Cardinals in 2013. I can't wait to see what he does, as I expect Larry Fitzgerald to return to prominence, and Carson Palmer to turn into Kurt Warner with a late-career desert resurgence.

Bucky Brooks
NFL.com

Sean Payton is in a class of his own

Sean Payton is the top offensive play caller in the NFL, and it's not even close. Now, that's not a slight to the other great play-callers across the league, but no one matches Payton in the preparation and in-game-adjustment phases. He cleverly uses a mixture of formations and personnel groupings to exploit the weaknesses of the opponent, while operating at a rapid tempo. The Saints are one of the quickest teams to the line of scrimmage following a play, which speaks volumes about his ability to think two or three steps ahead as a play-caller.

Additionally, Payton has an outstanding feel for the game and how to set opponents up for big plays off schematic complements. Watching the Saints on tape, I've always been impressed with how well they use the "First 15" script to set up home-run plays in the second half. While most offensive coordinators attempt to utilize this approach, few can match Payton's sense of timing, awareness and anticipation when it comes to dialing up explosives.

Lastly, Peyton deserves the top spot because he is brilliant with in-game adjustments. He shows tremendous patience in sticking with his original game plan, but will make minor tweaks and adjustments to take advantage of defensive coordinator's tactical plans. This routinely results in the Saints catching fire in the second half after experiencing a series of three-and-outs early in the game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210201/article/sean-payton-bruce-arians-among-best-playcallers-in-nfl-today?campaign=Twitter_writers_debate

papillon
06-09-2013, 11:27 PM
That article is going to put some Steeler fans into a frothing frenzy when they read that Arians is getting love for his play calling. I can't wait for the meltdowns to begin.

Pappy

Eich
06-10-2013, 07:47 AM

It's not the font. It's the lack of paragraphs. Try this:

The Deep End

Each week, thanks to play-by-play game dissection by ProFootballFocus.com, I'll look at one important matchup or individual performance metric from one of the Sunday games.

PFF czar Neil Horsnby's take on Bruce Arians taking over the Arizona Cardinals --and leaving Indianapolis:"How quickly things change in the NFL. Slightly over a year ago the Pittsburgh Steelers were replacing Bruce Arians as their offensive coordinator with Todd Haley and now, on the back of a remarkable season with Indianapolis, he is Arizona's new coach."Without Arians as his mentor, this was probably Ben Roethlisberger's best year; at PFF we gave him his highest grade by some margin, seeing his percentage of poor throws drop from 16.4 percent in 2011 to 10.5 this year.

The truth is the offense wasn't at the heart of the Steelers' problems this year, but the defense, while still good, slipped from its suffocating best and allowed 5.4 points more per game."There was only one significant difference between the Arians- and Haley-coached Steelers offense: Pittsburgh didn't throw deep nearly as much this year. In 2011 Roethlisberger threw deep (over 20 yards) on 13.6 percent of his drop-backs (good for ninth among ranked quarterbacks) while in 2012 that number dropped to 10.5 percent (26th). He threw far fewer posts and corners and compensated with more hitches to his wideouts and passes to the backs."

In Indianapolis, Arians brought the deep ball with him. He had Andrew Luck air it out (going over 20 yards) on 15.9 percent of his throws. And while the rookie may have been inconsistent, he was also remarkably resilient. He was knocked to the ground 148 times during the season, an unbelievable 32 percent more than any other player, and never missed a snap. In fact, it could have been considerably worse but for Luck proving to be a skilled scrambler as well, actually rushing for more yards than Cam Newton when forced out of the pocket."What does it mean for Arizona quarterbacks, whoever they may be in 2013?

Based on the evidence from Pittsburgh and Indianapolis, implementing a long-ball passing game requires a number of things. First, an accurate quarterback. Roethlisberger in 2011 wasn't great, with a 34 percent completion rate over 20 yards, while Luck was very good in 2012 at 43 percent. Second, without a great offensive line, you need to accept your QB will be hit regularly and needs to be able to take his knocks. Even the incredibly tough Roethlisberger suffered in this regard.

"As a group, the Cardinals' current passer threw deep on only 8.6 percent of 2012 dropbacks and had a 22 percent accuracy rate when doing so. The offensive line, while improving, is still poor and the fragility of the guys behind them is well known. Kevin Kolb made strides this year and it would be wrong to write him off as an option, but it seems unlikely he'll fit the bill as another Andrew Luck. So who else could fit the bill? In 2011 Matt Moore threw deep on 17 percent of throws, with an accuracy rate of 48 percent in the Dolphins late-season resurgence. Matt Flynn has a much sturdier frame, although his body of work is limited before you even consider trade value ... and who knows if Seattle would trade him within the division?"

Arians faced the same difficult task turning around the Indianapolis offense in 2012 as he will with the Cardinals in 2013. One slight difference in the two places: He won't have Luck to work with in Arizona."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130121/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-conference-championships/#ixzz2JJXsznxH

Oviedo
06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
It's not the font. It's the lack of paragraphs. Try this:

The Deep End

Each week, thanks to play-by-play game dissection by ProFootballFocus.com, I'll look at one important matchup or individual performance metric from one of the Sunday games.

PFF czar Neil Horsnby's take on Bruce Arians taking over the Arizona Cardinals --and leaving Indianapolis:"How quickly things change in the NFL. Slightly over a year ago the Pittsburgh Steelers were replacing Bruce Arians as their offensive coordinator with Todd Haley and now, on the back of a remarkable season with Indianapolis, he is Arizona's new coach."Without Arians as his mentor, this was probably Ben Roethlisberger's best year; at PFF we gave him his highest grade by some margin, seeing his percentage of poor throws drop from 16.4 percent in 2011 to 10.5 this year.

The truth is the offense wasn't at the heart of the Steelers' problems this year, but the defense, while still good, slipped from its suffocating best and allowed 5.4 points more per game."There was only one significant difference between the Arians- and Haley-coached Steelers offense: Pittsburgh didn't throw deep nearly as much this year. In 2011 Roethlisberger threw deep (over 20 yards) on 13.6 percent of his drop-backs (good for ninth among ranked quarterbacks) while in 2012 that number dropped to 10.5 percent (26th). He threw far fewer posts and corners and compensated with more hitches to his wideouts and passes to the backs."

In Indianapolis, Arians brought the deep ball with him. He had Andrew Luck air it out (going over 20 yards) on 15.9 percent of his throws. And while the rookie may have been inconsistent, he was also remarkably resilient. He was knocked to the ground 148 times during the season, an unbelievable 32 percent more than any other player, and never missed a snap. In fact, it could have been considerably worse but for Luck proving to be a skilled scrambler as well, actually rushing for more yards than Cam Newton when forced out of the pocket."What does it mean for Arizona quarterbacks, whoever they may be in 2013?

Based on the evidence from Pittsburgh and Indianapolis, implementing a long-ball passing game requires a number of things. First, an accurate quarterback. Roethlisberger in 2011 wasn't great, with a 34 percent completion rate over 20 yards, while Luck was very good in 2012 at 43 percent. Second, without a great offensive line, you need to accept your QB will be hit regularly and needs to be able to take his knocks. Even the incredibly tough Roethlisberger suffered in this regard.

"As a group, the Cardinals' current passer threw deep on only 8.6 percent of 2012 dropbacks and had a 22 percent accuracy rate when doing so. The offensive line, while improving, is still poor and the fragility of the guys behind them is well known. Kevin Kolb made strides this year and it would be wrong to write him off as an option, but it seems unlikely he'll fit the bill as another Andrew Luck. So who else could fit the bill? In 2011 Matt Moore threw deep on 17 percent of throws, with an accuracy rate of 48 percent in the Dolphins late-season resurgence. Matt Flynn has a much sturdier frame, although his body of work is limited before you even consider trade value ... and who knows if Seattle would trade him within the division?"

Arians faced the same difficult task turning around the Indianapolis offense in 2012 as he will with the Cardinals in 2013. One slight difference in the two places: He won't have Luck to work with in Arizona."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130121/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-conference-championships/#ixzz2JJXsznxH

Haley will be the best thing that has happened to Ben if he just lets it happen.

At least this article recognizes how the defense has slipped and doesn't try to make excuses for the slipping performance in order to protect the coach from criticism.

feltdizz
06-10-2013, 08:54 AM

Can we get a paragraph break next time? Lol...

Shawn
06-10-2013, 09:08 AM
The one thing this article proves to me...is that Arians gets QBs hit. And when your franchise QB is coupled with an injured OL...Arians+Ben is a recipe for injury. I am stoked to see what Haley and Ben have come up with for this season. I think it's going to be exciting, and the fans will be saying Wallace who?

Oviedo
06-10-2013, 10:03 AM
The one thing this article proves to me...is that Arians gets QBs hit. And when your franchise QB is coupled with an injured OL...Arians+Ben is a recipe for injury. I am stoked to see what Haley and Ben have come up with for this season. I think it's going to be exciting, and the fans will be saying Wallace who?

Who is Wallace????????????????

feltdizz
06-10-2013, 11:47 AM

but he also gets them to the post season...

SteelerOfDeVille
06-10-2013, 12:39 PM
The one thing this article proves to me...is that Arians gets QBs hit. And when your franchise QB is coupled with an injured OL...Arians+Ben is a recipe for injury.
....I'm so glad Ben didn't get hurt last year.... oh wait... nevermind

Shawn
06-10-2013, 03:26 PM
but he also gets them to the post season...

How about giving Haley more than one season to get there eh?

Shawn
06-10-2013, 03:28 PM
....I'm so glad Ben didn't get hurt last year.... oh wait... nevermind

It's about the math. Did Ben get hit less last season? Yes. You can't prevent injury but you can decrease the odds...you can do things to protect your franchise. But, it's a contact league, and people will get hurt no matter what system you institute.

Oviedo
06-10-2013, 04:00 PM

He was lucky he got four games before the criticism starting flying.

feltdizz
06-10-2013, 05:51 PM

My response had nothing to do with Haley...

BA's quarterbacks take more hits but they have more success while doing so...

NorthCoast
06-10-2013, 06:59 PM

My prediction is that no QB for a BA coached team will enter the record books for seasons played without injury. Ben has exactly one full season to his credit. Yes, it could be his personal physiology or maybe it is the situations he or his coach places him in.

pittpete
06-10-2013, 07:54 PM
I hope Carson Palmer has his health insurance up to date:stirpot

Shawn
06-10-2013, 07:57 PM

really? Would an over the hill Kurt Warner agree with you?

feltdizz
06-10-2013, 08:57 PM
really? Would an over the hill Kurt Warner agree with you?

Kurt Warner never played for BA... I have no idea what that even means.

I know this is a BA vs Haley thread but my observation has nothing to do with Haley. BA may get his QB's hit but they have success... I also think BA had a QB named Manning who didnt like getting hit and he made it work. Its all about the QB... I doubt Palmer will take hits because he isnt that type of QB.

QBs who hate contact wont take tons of it regardless of a 7 step drop... QBs who are OK with contact will take more of it if they feel they can win games in the process.

..as far as Kurt Warner goes... the guy was throwing to Larry Fitz and Boldin. Not sure what he has to do with BA getting QBs hit while getting them to the playoffs more times than not.

Captain Lemming
06-10-2013, 09:22 PM

I know this is a BA vs Haley thread but my observation has nothing to do with Haley. BA may get his QB's hit but they have success... I also think BA had a QB named Manning who didnt like getting hit and he made it work. Its all about the QB... I doubt Palmer will take hits because he isnt that type of QB.

QBs who hate contact wont take tons of it regardless of a 7 step drop... QBs who are OK with contact will take more of it if they feel they can win games in the process.

..as far as Kurt Warner goes... the guy was throwing to Larry Fitz and Boldin. Not sure what he has to do with BA getting QBs hit while getting them to the playoffs more times than not.

I think the point is that Haley can get a QB to the playoffs too. And that scrub at KC can attest to that too.

When it comes to the Steeler? "Ben" has at time played worse with Wiz and with Arians. Heck Ben was worse in 2011.
The TEAM was worse in 2012, not Ben.

We swept the Browns in 2011 scoring 14 and 13 points.
We LOST a gaim scoring 31 last year

birtikidis
06-10-2013, 09:31 PM
148 hits? That's ridiculous. Maybe we can stop blaming the o-line

Eddie Spaghetti
06-10-2013, 09:38 PM
148 hits? That's ridiculous. Maybe we can stop blaming the o-line

yeah, that's a pretty damning number.

Shawn
06-10-2013, 11:02 PM

You indicated BA can coach a QB better than Haley. I was saying Kurt Warner would disagree with you considering Haley took a warn out Kurt and turned him back into a machine.

Oviedo
06-11-2013, 08:12 AM
My opinion in all this is as follows:

1. Arians got lucky last year with an incredibly talented rookie QB and getting caught up in a human interest story that got national play with the HC having cancer and the team rallying for him.
2. Arians will be exposed as a HC this season in AZ with limited talent at QB, but to be fair what HC wouldn't
3. Our offense under Haley this year will be better than last year because Ben seems to be embracing it, Wallace is gone (hence taking away Ben's worst addiction waiting for deep patterns to open while passing on sure gains shorter) and we have a very good RB in Bell.

Shawn
06-11-2013, 08:44 AM
O, I agree that this offense should be much improved as long as we can stay healthy. The smartest thing Haley did was include Ben. Not just because I think it's wise to let your QB have a say, but because of Ben's personality.

Oviedo
06-11-2013, 09:03 AM
O, I agree that this offense should be much improved as long as we can stay healthy. The smartest thing Haley did was include Ben. Not just because I think it's wise to let your QB have a say, but because of Ben's personality.

The dumbest thing we did was not add a TE or OL depth.

If Ben is doing more than playing nice for the PR then I think he could have his best season ever.

Like I said, I see Wallace being gone as addition through subtraction. Ben is addicted to the gunslinger approach and take away his greatest temptation and hopefully he will focus more on the probability of success throws versus putting up the wish and prayer.

Shawn
06-11-2013, 09:11 AM

If Ben is doing more than playing nice for the PR then I think he could have his best season ever.

Like I said, I see Wallace being gone as addition through subtraction. Ben is addicted to the gunslinger approach and take away his greatest temptation and hopefully he will focus more on the probability of success throws versus putting up the wish and prayer.

I do think there was something to the locker room talk. I believe Wallace leaving will help some of that. I would have liked to see the Steelers pick up a TE, but to get a guy who could start this year you would have had to draft him in the first 2 rounds. I wouldn't give up Jones or Bell for a TE.

feltdizz
06-11-2013, 09:52 AM
You indicated BA can coach a QB better than Haley. I was saying Kurt Warner would disagree with you considering Haley took a warn out Kurt and turned him back into a machine.

No I didn't... I said BA also gets his QB's to the postseason even though they get hit. Everyone screams about BA getting his QB's hit... but those QB's have a track record of postseason play.

feltdizz
06-11-2013, 09:54 AM

We have OL and TE depth...

you may not like them but we have 1st and 2nd rounders starting on the OL and we also have 4 or 5 TE's.

Eich
06-11-2013, 11:50 AM
No I didn't... I said BA also gets his QB's to the postseason even though they get hit. Everyone screams about BA getting his QB's hit... but those QB's have a track record of postseason play.

That's fine when the QB is on the good side of 30. Ours isn't. If we can still be productive with fewer hits on Ben, we're better off. Even though last year still ended up with Ben injured, taking fewer hits is still better at this point in his career.

Slapstick
06-11-2013, 11:54 AM

BA will have a chance to put his money where your mouth is this year...if Arizona can get past San Fran and Seattle this year in that division with Carson Palmer at the helm, that will be quite the accomplishment...

feltdizz
06-11-2013, 12:01 PM
BA will have a chance to put his money where your mouth is this year...if Arizona can get past San Fran and Seattle this year in that division with Carson Palmer at the helm, that will be quite the accomplishment...

I doubt that will happen... but then again, everyone on here said he would fall on his face in Indy and never get a HC job.

I think BA will find a way to turn things around in AZ. I don't see them winning the division this year but I bet they are more competitive.

feltdizz
06-11-2013, 12:05 PM
That's fine when the QB is on the good side of 30. Ours isn't. If we can still be productive with fewer hits on Ben, we're better off. Even though last year still ended up with Ben injured, taking fewer hits is still better at this point in his career.

We witnessed last year it doesn't matter... Ben finds ways to get hit because he plays an unconventional game and I'm not sure why fans keep acting like he will change.

Slapstick
06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I doubt that will happen... but then again, everyone on here said he would fall on his face in Indy and never get a HC job.

Not everyone...

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2013, 01:29 PM

I think BA will find a way to turn things around in AZ. I don't see them winning the division this year but I bet they are more competitive.

No one expected Arians to get a head coaching gig (teams prefer to sign first-time coaches in their 40's rather than first-time coaches in their 60's). While I didn't necessarily expect him to fall on his face in Indy (because I really liked Luck as a prospect), I expected Arians to get his young QB killed. While the kid somehow escaped major injury, the fact is that he endured much more punishment than he should have. I think Luck will be better under his college coach Pep Hamilton now.

As for making the Cardinals more competitive, it would be hard to be less competitive now that they have moved on from the Kolb/Skelton/Lindley/Hoyer pu-pu platter at QB. Although they are one good hit away from starting Drew Stanton at QB, and if there is one thing for sure about an Arians offense, Carson Palmer will be hit and hit often.

Oviedo
06-11-2013, 03:57 PM
No one expected Arians to get a head coaching gig (teams prefer to sign first-time coaches in their 40's rather than first-time coaches in their 60's). While I didn't necessarily expect him to fall on his face in Indy (because I really liked Luck as a prospect), I expected Arians to get his young QB killed. While the kid somehow escaped major injury, the fact is that he endured much more punishment than he should have. I think Luck will be better under his college coach Pep Hamilton now.

As for making the Cardinals more competitive, it would be hard to be less competitive now that they have moved on from the Kolb/Skelton/Lindley/Hoyer pu-pu platter at QB. Although they are one good hit away from starting Drew Stanton at QB, and if there is one thing for sure about an Arians offense, Carson Palmer will be hit and hit often.

Arians will be gone from Arizona in three years. He is an interim solution while they rebuild and then turn it over to someone who will try to take them to the next level.

Ghost
06-11-2013, 04:18 PM

How dare you disrespect Matt Spaeth. Good day Sir.

feltdizz
06-11-2013, 04:24 PM

I doubt Palmer will be hit often...

QB's like Ben and Luck are built for contact, scrambling, etc and are ok with a vertical game.

DBR96A
06-11-2013, 04:25 PM
It's about the math. Did Ben get hit less last season? Yes. You can't prevent injury but you can decrease the odds...you can do things to protect your franchise. But, it's a contact league, and people will get hurt no matter what system you institute.
Ben Roethlisberger's sack percentage was 20% lower in 2012 than it was in 2011, despite the offensive line being essentially the same. He was injured on his 18th sack of the season. It was just bad luck.

Shawn
06-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Ben Roethlisberger's sack percentage was 20% lower in 2012 than it was in 2011, despite the offensive line being essentially the same. He was injured on his 18th sack of the season. It was just bad luck.

Which makes sense to me.

hawaiiansteel
06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Bromance of Todd Haley and Ben Roethlisberger confirmed

By Neal Coolong on Jun 12 2013

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/14643803/158819599.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley are working together in a more mutually agreeable manner, and their combined strength could lead to big things for the Steelers offense.

The worry last season was the lack of ability to apply cutesy puns on the relationship of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

There was no Bromance. They weren't BFFs, according to many reports. There were no Parcells and Taylor comparisons to how they acted toward each other. We didn't even get a Hetero Lifemates joke. It was more Martin and Steinbrenner.

As assumed, though, their positive relationship is being pushed much higher on the overall agenda this offseason. According to Ed Bouchette of the Post-Gazette:

"After Haley was hired last year, the story became how long it took for the new coordinator and the old quarterback to finally speak to one another. This year, they can't stop."

It's an old-fashioned story of Bromance. Todd and Ben, perhaps more masculine circles would refer to their collective togetherness as "Bod."

The word "icy" was used to describe their previous relationship, but now, and perhaps in wake of the likely elimination of Disco Dan from the Pittsburgh sports vernacular, Bod comes at a good time.

The Steelers' offense - much like the Penguins - stagnated over the final four games of their season. A big part of that was Roethlisberger's injury and inactivity, but Haley was also down right tackle MIke Adams and left guard Willie Colon - the team averaged over 4.7 yards a carry when the pair was starting.

With injuries chipping away at the team's offensive potential, Haley rested the bulk of the offense on the balky right arm of his future BFF, Roethlisberger.

The results were not what the couple hoped for in the early stages of their relationship. A rough end to the 2012 season leads to the need for both of them to come together. They're both competitive, by all accounts, and winning is the most important thing.

Competition can breed positive overall results. Let's hope their blustering Bromance can as well.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/6/12/4422270/todd-haley-ben-roethlisberger-steelers-minicamp-recap-preview

Oviedo
06-12-2013, 02:29 PM
How dare you disrespect Matt Spaeth. Good day Sir.

I've always been a huge Spaeth supporter from his first stint with us. He just isn't Heath Miller or a young up and coming Tyler Eifert.

Shawn
06-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Two very competitive indivuals who have a losing season together...realizing they need each other to be successful=Offense waiting to happen. I'm excited.

steelz09
06-12-2013, 03:35 PM
I've always been a huge Spaeth supporter from his first stint with us. He just isn't Heath Miller or a young up and coming Tyler Eifert.

Now you went and done it. You mentioned "him". I thought the man crush on Eifert was officially dead.

feltdizz
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM

What were Tyler Eifert's NFL stats last year?

hawaiiansteel
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Tyler Eifert caught 4 TD passes in 13 games at Notre Dame this past season and caught a total of 4 passes against Michigan, Michigan St and Miami, Fla.

I don't get the hype...

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Yay! We're talking about Cincinnati's backup tight end again! :p

Captain Lemming
06-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Two very competitive indivuals who have a losing season together...realizing they need each other to be successful=Offense waiting to happen. I'm excited.

I think I saw that movie

http://www.filmonpaper.com/site/media/2011/05/EnemyMine_onesheet_teaser_USA-4.jpg

Shawn
06-12-2013, 08:14 PM
CL...now that is funny.

Slapstick
06-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Which one is Lou Gossett, Jr.?

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
It looks like they could remake Enemy Mine with Stifler and Cee Lo in the Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett roles. :p

Captain Lemming
06-14-2013, 01:08 PM
It looks like they could remake Enemy Mine with Stifler and Cee Lo in the Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett roles. :p

No the stuff Ceelo wears is WAY scarier than the Gossett alien. The Quaid character would NEVER lose his fear and distrust. Simply not believable like the original was. :)

Captain Lemming
06-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Someone said there was a lesson about race in that film so I watched it again.

I got it. :)

As a black man, I have more in common with creatures from other planet because they are just black men "inside".
Since then I grew more distrustful of other races here on earth as I await the arrival of the extraterrestrial overlords who are in fact my bretherin, at which point I shall share in ruling this planet.

That was in fact the lesson of that movie right? ;)

flippy
06-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Someone said there was a lesson about race in that film so I watched it again.

I got it. :)

As a black man, I have more in common with creatures from other planet because they are just black men "inside".
Since then I grew more distrustful of other races here on earth as I await the arrival of the extraterrestrial overlords who are in fact my bretherin.

That was in fact the lesson of that movie right? ;)

You're gonna be fine before the aliens invade us. I heard them say something on the radio that in the US, 50% of the kids under 5 or 6 are not white today. And in a few short years half the kids under 18 will be non white.

Not sure who's supposed to be the majority, but it's not whitey. It's only a matter of time until white gets swirled out of the gene pool. And rich old white people will be doing the reverse Michael Jackson treatments to blend in. :)

NorthCoast
06-15-2013, 09:08 AM

In fairness, that's because he played fewer games. However, his sack rate (sacks/att) was about 1% lower in 2012 than 2011.... likely not a true difference. With the OL reconstituted it will be interesting to see if things improve.

FYI, Brady and Manning's sack rate was 50% lower than Ben's last season.