PDA

View Full Version : Casey Hampton done as a Steeler

lloydroid
01-28-2013, 03:30 PM
I just heard it's official. Not that it would surprise any of us. But have not seen any news on it myself.

If so - and I'm sure it is - good luck Casey; you were a great Steeler. Never complained, was barely ever hurt, came up big when he was most-needed. From all accounts, he was a great guy and teammate. I remember Casey being our first round pick out of TX the first year I moved out of PA. Great draft pick; we can only hope the other first round DL picks pan out like this.

Kudos Casey. Have a great rest of your life as you move on to your "life's work."

BigRob
01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
I just heard it's official. Not that it would surprise any of us. But have not seen any news on it myself.

If so - and I'm sure it is - good luck Casey; you were a great Steeler. Never complained, was barely ever hurt, came up big when he was most-needed. From all accounts, he was a great guy and teammate. I remember Casey being our first round pick out of TX the first year I moved out of PA. Great draft pick; we can only hope the other first round DL picks pan out like this.

Kudos Casey. Have a great rest of your life as you move on to your "life's work."

This is not news. Nothing can be official until the new league year starts in early March. Who really thought he was going to be back after they signed Fangupo?

Shawn
01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
It was time.

feltdizz
01-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Definitely news if this is true... I don't care if we drafted 4 NT's. Casey was a stud and had a great career as a Steeler.

lloydroid
01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Definitely news if this is true... I don't care if we drafted 4 NT's. Casey was a stud and had a great career as a Steeler.

Agreed. How often is a huge man, NT, that reliable for that length of time? Now maybe Dick can possibly move on a little bit from his current "DLmen do nothing but consumer bodies" philosophy. Naaaa, who am I kidding? That's not going to happen. They will just keep pointing to their "high D rating" (based on yards, but not really a game-winning D) and tell us how everything is perfect on our D.

phillyesq
01-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Absolutely. He was a big part of the Steelers generally successful run over the last decade.

For what it's worth, the source is Dulac's article that also talked about moving Ziggy Hood to the nose. Profootballtalk then turned that article into the story on Hampton:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-the-d-line-672199/

Here is the pertinent language:

The Steelers likely will lose the anchor of their defensive line -- five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton, who is not expected to be re-signed despite starting all 16 games in 2012. He will be the second piece of what defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has called "the best defensive line I've ever coached" to depart in as many years, joining Smith.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-the-d-line-672199/#ixzz2JJIBWr00

Seems more speculative than concrete.

lloydroid
01-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Absolutely. He was a big part of the Steelers generally successful run over the last decade.

For what it's worth, the source is Dulac's article that also talked about moving Ziggy Hood to the nose. Profootballtalk then turned that article into the story on Hampton:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-the-d-line-672199/

Here is the pertinent language:

Seems more speculative than concrete.

Perhaps, but I think it's safe to say that Casey is done.

Chadman
01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Casey is the best 3-4 NT of his generation, and will be missed.

Nobody on the current roster is of Hampton's class at his peak. Not even close.

7 UP
01-28-2013, 08:58 PM
I just heard it's official.

This is not "official" in any way shape or form. Off-season speculation does not make anything official. You have absolutely ZERO clue whether Hampton will be back at this point. Neither do I or anybody else for that matter.

How about posting a source when you make an "official" claim.

supersteeler
01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
I agree with Chadman, Casey was a main stay at NT, he will be missed.

pfelix73
01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
There is a chance that he could be back for 1 more year. I heard that 1. he wants to keep playing since he had a good year, and 2. He loves Pittsburgh and doesn't want to move. Could it be that he takes the league minimum to play for 1 more year?

Chadman
01-28-2013, 09:16 PM
There is a chance that he could be back for 1 more year. I heard that 1. he wants to keep playing since he had a good year, and 2. He loves Pittsburgh and doesn't want to move. Could it be that he takes the league minimum to play for 1 more year?

If the Steelers don't get a new NT through the draft, Chadman would be happy to see Hampton back for that sort of deal.

feltdizz
01-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Can we get a link? A source?

Shoe
01-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Casey is the best 3-4 NT of his generation, and will be missed.

Nobody on the current roster is of Hampton's class at his peak. Not even close.

Vince Wilfork was better.
I'm glad to see it TBH. I liked Hampton back in '05, '08... but as time slowly went on, it was clear that he was no longer the player he thought he was. These past two years, the only reason he continued to start/play for us is because he was a known commodity (i.e. he knew the scheme). I think young blood like McLendon, while probably not as dependable, would've injected an aspect of energy that would've been a bigger help.

phillyesq
01-28-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm glad to see it TBH. I liked Hampton back in '05, '08... but as time slowly went on, it was clear that he was no longer the player he thought he was. These past two years, the only reason he continued to start/play for us is because he was a known commodity (i.e. he knew the scheme). I think young blood like McLendon, while probably not as dependable, would've injected an aspect of energy that would've been a bigger help.

I think Hampton played this year over McClendon because McClendon had problems against the run. He's is absolutely not the player he used to be, but he is still strong against the run.

pfelix73
01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Can we get a link? A source?

Sorry- heard it with my own 2 ears-lol. 93.7 The Fan. Day after last Cleve game....

squidkid
01-29-2013, 07:35 PM
3 years too late

AkronSteel
01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Thank you Mr. Hampton for your years of service to the Steelers organization. Your efforts and contributions were and will always be appreciated. Saying all of that, it is time for the Steelers to move towards their future at the position, whether that be with McClendon or someone else. I think Steve could be really good as the starting NT but he will be a different style of player. He could give the team a better push in the pass rush but will not be as good against the run. That's why I think drafting an ILB early is important as they may be able to make up for some of that loss with a thumper like Minter or a ppremium athlete like Ogletree. Unless they plan on targeting a guy like John Jenkins in round 2.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
With an over-aged-over the cap 8-8 team...I would say anyone with the arrow pointing down should be a little nervous.

As far as Hampton, his play has declined to where he is not "signficant". There really is no reason to bring him back.

Slapstick
01-30-2013, 12:52 PM

...last year...

But, overall, I think Hampton had the better career...