PDA

View Full Version : Three players who need to step up in 2013

Dee Dub
01-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Jason Worilds, Cameron Heyward, and Emmanuel Sanders. All three have improved every year they have been in the league but I think it is time for them to establish themselves as legit players.The improvement is great but we need them to really step up. I think Worilds is on the verge. He just needs to play more.

phillyesq
01-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Good call on all three guys. Worilds and Heyward have both shown flashes, and I think both can step forward. I don't think that Worilds will ever be a James Harrison (few are), but I think in a full season starting he could end up with 10 sacks while holding up against the run. Heyward has shown some flashes and is another guy that I would like to see get more snaps next year.

I'm not sure what to make of Sanders. He may be the best route runner on the team, but he needs to get consistent.

supersteeler
01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
That's a good list Dee, but one I have in mind is Woodley. We'll need him to re-establish himself as a dominate OLB especially if JH leaves.
As stated Worlids won't be Harrison but he might be able to hold his own, we need Lamar to bring the Wood in 2013.

Chucktownsteeler
01-27-2013, 03:25 PM
The entire team (including coaching staff) needs to step up.

No one gets a pass for last season's debacle.

That team should have been 12-4 with no sweat. Pretty easy schedule, especially the last 5 or 6 games.

SteelCrazy
01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
I'd add Ziggy Hood to that list as well. It might even be do or die for him. He's playing decent but he needs to make that turn into at least the Aaron Smith category.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-27-2013, 04:05 PM
I think that we will need Cortez Allen and perhaps Curtis Brown to step up. Of course, I also don't expect them to be able to re-sign Lewis.

Shoe
01-27-2013, 05:26 PM
I'd add Ziggy Hood to that list as well. It might even be do or die for him. He's playing decent but he needs to make that turn into at least the Aaron Smith category.

Hood's ship has sailed. I like Dee Dub's list, because it's legitimate to think those guys can actually improve, though I do think Sanders is what he is (I find it funny how I think Ben was saying he has #1 WR skill). I think Adjepong can get better, and could get to 10-sack level next year. It's a reach but possible. And I think Heyward still has potential. Hood is what he is.

As for other names mentioned: Tez Allen can certainly improve. To me, Curtis Brown has shown himself as nothing but an athletic ST'r/dime defender. His awareness is poor, and I don't think that improves. Woodley shouldn't even be on the list--that fat ph-k should be much better than he is, bottom line!

Slapstick
01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
We need the post-injury return Antonio Brown to play for the entire year...

Dee Dub
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Hood's ship has sailed. I like Dee Dub's list, because it's legitimate to think those guys can actually improve, though I do think Sanders is what he is (I find it funny how I think Ben was saying he has #1 WR skill). I think Adjepong can get better, and could get to 10-sack level next year. It's a reach but possible. And I think Heyward still has potential. Hood is what he is.

As for other names mentioned: Tez Allen can certainly improve. To me, Curtis Brown has shown himself as nothing but an athletic ST'r/dime defender. His awareness is poor, and I don't think that improves. Woodley shouldn't even be on the list--that fat ph-k should be much better than he is, bottom line!

Exactly Shoe. I didn't add Hood because I think he is what he has shown and the Steelers aren't going to get much more out of him.

I really think that Cortez Allen arrived last season. He played very well. Yes he can improve but he did take that step up last season.

And as far as guys like Woodley is concerned, I think that would be more of a re-establish themselves list. As well as James Harrison and Troy Polamalu.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
We have too many guys either not playing and missing games due to injury, or playing at 80% or less due to injury. Personally I think Troy has shortened his career due to his training preferences.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Dee, what do you see as Worild's role if he steps up? I like what I see out of him when he plays the LOLB spot, but that position is currently taken. Do you see him pushingWoodley out? Do you see Woodley moving and JH moving on? I agree that he could be on the verge, but don't see where he fits without either an injury or a release.

Dee Dub
01-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Dee, what do you see as Worild's role if he steps up? I like what I see out of him when he plays the LOLB spot, but that position is currently taken. Do you see him pushingWoodley out? Do you see Woodley moving and JH moving on? I agree that he could be on the verge, but don't see where he fits without either an injury or a release.

I think it will have a lot to do with whether or not James Harrison is brought back. If he is then Worilds should be allowed to push Woodley. Ain't nothing wrong with a little healthy competition.

Bluto
01-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams. Drafted these guys to be the Future Tackles. Need to hit on both. Max will go elsewhere for a better contract. McClendon plays well when given chance. But we are gonna need to part ways with Casey and his cash eithier tis year or for future. We need someone to be able to control middle against the run. Not sure if Tammuea or the other guy who was brought in later are ready. Mitchell like McClendon so he will be next man up. Would be nice to see Sylverster pick his game up also. Not sure if he has the talent though.

SidSmythe
01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
How about Adrian Robinson exploding onto the scene like Burfict did last season??

BigRob
01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Jason Worilds..... I think Worilds is on the verge. He just needs to play more.

I agree with you here Dubs. Worilds was drafted during the lock-out, was injured his second year, and injured all off season last year with a wrist injury.

He needs to be healthy this offseason. He is injury prone dating back to college. This is my biggest concern with him.

If he has a healthy off season and continues to work out like he was with Harrison, I bet he has a break-out year next year. Of course, he will then be close to being a free agent. argh!

BigRob
01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
How about Adrian Robinson exploding onto the scene like Burfict did last season??

Raw, way to raw. He finally got a helmet about mid season to play teams. But I suspect he will need another season of seasoning.

lloydroid
01-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Jason Worilds, Cameron Heyward, and Emmanuel Sanders. All three have improved every year they have been in the league but I think it is time for them to establish themselves as legit players.The improvement is great but we need them to really step up. I think Worilds is on the verge. He just needs to play more.

If Worilds really is ready to step up and Harrison is healthy, then cut Woodley. He is mucho pricey and offers no production. Dump him. That would send a nice message to the rest of the team.

Agree Sanders needs to step up. And Heyward.

But I'd put Ben on this list. Last seen, he was throwing game-losing pics to cost us a chance at the play offs. That just ain't cutting it.

I'd also put DeCastro and Adams on this list.

And Dwyer, if he is even back, which, looking at how thin our RB unit is, he probably will be. It would be nice if he could play for more than two runs in a row.

ikestops85
01-28-2013, 06:12 PM

I like this guy. He kinda reminds me of a young James Harrison. A guy who likes to destroy anyone in his path but not disciplined enough to play his position. Like Rob says I think he is a year or two away but I think he could be special.

Steelerphile
01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Sanders is underrated. He has at least No. 2 WR skills. Without the bobble and fumble of one pass that might have gone for long yardage or maybe a TD, the perception of Sanders season would be different. He clearly stepped up this year. He played all 16 games even if he was nicked up. I think he does a lot of things well and plays with enthusiasm. I expect him to step up next season.