PDA

View Full Version : Hal Hunter new OL Coach?

Steelhere10
01-24-2013, 07:17 PM
It was tweeted that he left the senior bowl with a new job perhaps the Steelers.

Oviedo
01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
It was tweeted that he left the senior bowl with a new job perhaps the Steelers.

Who is he? Background?

Steelhere10
01-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Former Chargers OL coach, there's a write up on the Depot.

Steelhere10
01-24-2013, 07:46 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-should-consider-hiring-hal-hunter-jr-as-their-next-offensive-line-coach/

supersteeler
01-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Also read where AMOS JONES our special teams coach will be heading to Arizona for that same position, and former d-lineman Brentson Buckner will coach their D-line.
Boy the Cards love the Burgh, no wonder they call them pgh. West.

BigRob
01-24-2013, 07:55 PM

A lot of coaches get hired at the Senior Bowl. This would not surprise me.

phillyesq
01-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Also read where AMOS JONES our special teams coach will be heading to Arizona for that same position, and former d-lineman Brentson Buckner will coach their D-line.

Does Amos need help packing? I'll gladly drive back to the burgh and give him a hand.

supersteeler
01-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Does Amos need help packing? I'll gladly drive back to the burgh and give him a hand.

Heck, I'll pay his cab fare : )

thor75
01-25-2013, 02:13 AM
Damn, ravens got Castillo, wasn't he a pretty good off. line coach before he went to the defense? Seems like the ravens just keep loading up. I hope our FO finds a gem.

SS Laser
01-25-2013, 03:35 AM

I wonder if Buckner was the coach at camp this year that was a monster! Told everyone I was with that dang that coach is a huge and makes some players look bad. I mean he looked like he could play today. Did not know till this story broke that he has interned for the steelers since 2010.

Slapstick
01-25-2013, 07:47 AM
If the Hunter hire happened, then good move by Tomlin...

He's another very solid coach who has a good history with helping young players to develop...

That being said, it's still up to Marcus Gilbert to stop being thrown around and endangering the knee ligaments of his teammates...

phillyesq
01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Damn, ravens got Castillo, wasn't he a pretty good off. line coach before he went to the defense? Seems like the ravens just keep loading up. I hope our FO finds a gem.

Yeah, he was a pretty well regarded offensive line coach until he was inexplicably chosen to be the defensive coordinator.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-25-2013, 11:14 AM
If I am not mistaken, Hal served as the OC last year too. I'm sure he had alot to do with the OL after the promotion and his patchwork OL seemed to hold its own against the Steelers. They kept talking about how the injuries decimated their OL but they played well against us. If true, I would say it has to be at the least a lateral hiring. Maybe some upside? We will find out. He has a group that averages 23 years old...His impact (positive or negative) on them will be seen early.

BigRob
01-25-2013, 02:19 PM
That being said, it's still up to Marcus Gilbert to stop being thrown around and endangering the knee ligaments of his teammates...

He's got to be willing to put in the work. He needs to get stronger and work on his technique all off-season. He gets complacent with any amount of success.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-25-2013, 10:53 PM
He's got to be willing to put in the work. He needs to get stronger and work on his technique all off-season. He gets complacent with any amount of success. Maybe there was a lot of that going on with our Steelers....

raycafan
01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Former Chargers OL coach, there's a write up on the Depot.
If this is true, then my statement of hiring him would lead you to believe I know something, which is so far from the truth. I did not even know his name, to me he was just the coach that took 3 new guys from that week against us and shut us down.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Any reason there would be a delay in announcing this, if indeed did happen?

pfelix73
01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Maybe they are waiting for the SB to be over and will talk with Castillo next week...

Also, I wonder if Russ Grimm would have any interest in returning? Maybe not, but I thought I read somewhere that Zierlein is/ was hired to be BA's OL coach in Ariz......

Oviedo
01-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Maybe they are waiting for the SB to be over and will talk with Castillo next week...

Also, I wonder if Russ Grimm would have any interest in returning? Maybe not, but I thought I read somewhere that Zierlein is/ was hired to be BA's OL coach in Ariz......

No thanks to Grimm. We don't need a motorcycle riding buddy for any of the players.

phillyesq
01-29-2013, 11:39 AM

I believe that Castillo took a position on Harbaugh's staff for next year as well. He's joining them for the SB like McDaniels did with the Pats* a few years back.

phillyesq
01-29-2013, 11:40 AM
No thanks to Grimm. We don't need a motorcycle riding buddy for any of the players.

On this we agree.

supersteeler
01-29-2013, 11:44 AM
I still hope Tunch is in the mix for O-line coach, his technique as a former steelers lineman made him a darn good one, maybe Tunches Punch will do some good with our guys.

pfelix73
01-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Agreed. Perhaps he doesn't want the job. He'd be a good one...

pfelix73
01-29-2013, 11:48 AM
I believe that Castillo took a position on Harbaugh's staff for next year as well. He's joining them for the SB like McDaniels did with the Pats* a few years back.

I was just thinking that an actual OL coaching job would be something he'd consider. I think the position in Baltimore is some sort of running game coach... dunno...

Oviedo
01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
I still hope Tunch is in the mix for O-line coach, his technique as a former steelers lineman made him a darn good one, maybe Tunches Punch will do some good with our guys.

The optimist in me says they haven't announced a hiring because they continue to try to convince Tunch to take the job!