PDA

View Full Version : I think it's time

lloydroid
01-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Pgh is known for its low-key (virtually non-existent) role in free agency. But this year? I think they better be a little more active than usual. Not only did this team not have a winning record, but all indications are that it is headed further downward as opposed to on the rise, if they don't take some actions, as Colbert has noted.

Here are the list of free agents. Here is what I propose to go after.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

We need a back up who can play longer than one game before getting hurt. Neither Leftwich or Batch is that player. I think Matt Moore is an underrated QB and he is younger than 40. I would like to see him and a rookie added to the QB unit. If not Moore, what about Chase Daniel? Didn't he look pretty good when he's been in there? Does he have a high possible upside?

The other spot that I think we must add someone is RB, as well as draft one. The one thing I don't want them to do is to sign an older player on his downside, who will still be expensive like Steve Jackson. Or one who will cost a lot but not be a difference maker, like Reggie Bush.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=RB&y=2013

Bernard Scott - has hurt us a few times. Still relatively young.
Jalene Parmele - runs hard. Has some power.
Peyton Hillis - don't know how much he has left; big backs are used up quickly not named Bettis.
Jackie Battle - big back, seems to produce when given a chance.
Justin Forset - almost 6 ypc last year, entering his prime.

I am not listing restricted free agents, as they cost too much and we can't afford to lose draft picks.

At WR, I just am not seeing much who would be inexpensive but worth signing. Except maybe ...

Kevin Ogletree - He had 32 grabs for 436 yards and 4 TD, over 13 ypc avg. And he had to try to get balls with Dez Bryant, Jason Whitten and Miles Austin on the field, which is no easy task. I think the kid has skills and would add to our WR unit.

supersteeler
01-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Someone here mentioned RFA Chris Ivory, I would love to have the combination of Chris Ivory & Chance Warmack.

lloydroid
01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Someone here mentioned RFA Chris Ivory, I would love to have the combination of Chris Ivory & Chance Warmack.

I would like Ivory but as a RFA, I don't see it happening; how often do RFAs ever get signed away? Almost never. You have to give up too much to get them.

Dee Dub
01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
There are several possible cuts/subtractions coming this off-season due to the salary cap so where do you suggest this money comes from for these new additions?

lloydroid
01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
There are several possible cuts/subtractions coming this off-season due to the salary cap so where do you suggest this money comes from for these new additions?

As Kevin Colbert said, anything is possible coming off this bad season, including cutting some high $ players to make cap room. Almost no one is not expendable, including Harrison and Polamalu.

NW Steeler
01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Yeah, by the time you add in the tenders and draft picks we will be $30 mil over the cap. there isnt going to be much of anything to bring in a FA of any significance.

lloydroid
01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah, by the time you add in the tenders and draft picks we will be $30 mil over the cap. there isnt going to be much of anything to bring in a FA of any significance.

Which is why I only listed low level options. They will make Ben restructure. There are options. Miller, Brown, Timmons, Pouncy et al could restructure. The trick is: Do the Steelers even want to make space in the cap? They often like to use no cap space as an excuse to not sign any free agents, tricking the fans into believing that they have no options. They have been playing this game for years.

SidSmythe
01-23-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't know why teams are so reluctant to sign RFA's.
So you give up a pick that would be used on an UNPROVEN player and use that pick on a PROVEN player.

NW Steeler
01-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Cutting Harrison saves $5.1 million off the cap, and that might be the one we see. I cant see any way they cut Troy.

lloydroid
01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
I don't know why teams are so reluctant to sign RFA's.
So you give up a pick that would be used on an UNPROVEN player and use that pick on a PROVEN player.

The picks needed usually seem way too much for the player received. What would teams have to give us in draft picks to get Wallace last year? A first rounder and more? He wasn't worth it, as it was proven over the season. I am sure no team regretted passing on him.

lloydroid
01-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Cutting Harrison saves $5.1 million off the cap, and that might be the one we see. I cant see any way they cut Troy.

Considering that they played better without him than with him, and that he has missed huge portions of playing time with injury, they absolutely should consider it. I have little confidence that he will play like he used to in his prime for any length of time, or ever, for that matter.

steelz09
01-23-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd rather have Ivory over Peyton Hillis. What could the tender possibly be on Ivory?

steelz09
01-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Considering that they played better without him than with him, and that he has missed huge portions of playing time with injury, they absolutely should consider it. I have little confidence that he will play like he used to in his prime for any length of time, or ever, for that matter.

Played better without Harrison? No they didn't.

NW Steeler
01-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Yeah, I dont think so either. The defense sucked at the beginning of the year when Harrison and Troy were out. I think it took until late in the year for James to start to resemble his old self. If he is cut we go from scary thin to starved at OLB. But he may have to go and we will sink or swim with Worilds.

supersteeler
01-23-2013, 07:23 PM
I'd rather have Ivory over Peyton Hillis. What could the tender possibly be on Ivory?

Good question. I'm thinking its worth pursuing a player like Ivory, he has proven NFL ability, is young, and I'm sure they could find the room to sign him if they wanted to. If we have so many issues with the cap how are we supposed to improve as a team? Maybe luck of the draft, I don't know but the Steelers have to explore every option they have.

Btw, Harrison is a playmaker even at 80%, @ 100% one of the best in the business even at his age. difference maker is what I would call James, Woodley needs to follow that lead.

lloydroid
01-23-2013, 07:25 PM

No, better without Troy.

fezziwig
01-23-2013, 07:33 PM
The defense had no one to take Harisons spot while he was out. No one that took his spot and was a factor I meant. Finally we found someone that could fill Troys shoe's or at least the defense could function when they pulled Mundy out of there and replace him with Allen.

I really think the Steeler believed/believe Mundy is the answer to Troy when Troys days are over and they are sadly mistaken. We have a secondary that isn't getting any younger or better and this team needs to address it with the draft and free agency signings and not the other teams cast offs either. They need to sign desirable players. Lewis is younger and he's decent so far but, I think we would have noticed if he had any ball hawking skills. Yep, the defenses today need to put the ball in their own offenses hands as many times ossible if your going to be a champion. These stats with yards allowed that determine the ranking in the NFL are for crap.
All my brave talk means nothing because this team is in a finacial funk.

SidSmythe
01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
The picks needed usually seem way too much for the player received. What would teams have to give us in draft picks to get Wallace last year? A first rounder and more? He wasn't worth it, as it was proven over the season. I am sure no team regretted passing on him.

That's one example.
Wes Welker went to the Pats for a 3rd round pick, how'd that work out for them??

Lets say someone gave Keenan Lewis a contract last year when he was a RFA. a team would have given up a 3rd round pick, worth it???

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Some 2013 NFL Free Agents that seem like they may fill voids we have. Obviously us making any moves in free agency is dependent on what we do personel wise to free up cap money. Some of these would be more expensive than others, but I don't think any would be bank breakers.....(this includes some of our own FA's I think we need to take a long look at keeping)

Quarterbacks:
Brian Hoyer – ARI
Drew Stanton – IND
Brady Quinn – KC
Matt Moore – MIA

Running Backs:
Justin Forsett – HOU
Chris Ivory – NO – (RFA)
Mike Goodson – OAK
Jonathan Dwyer – PIT – (RFA)
Jackie Battle – SD
Steven Jackson – STL
LeGarrette Blount – TB – (RFA)

Fullbacks:
Owen Schmitt – FA

Wide Receivers:
Mohamed Massaquoi – CLE
Kevin Ogletree – DAL
Dwayne Bowe – KC
Brian Hartline – MIA
Ramses Barden – NYG
Plaxico Burress – PIT

Tight Ends:
Maurice Stovall – JAC
Anthony Fasano – MIA
Dustin Keller – NYJ
Chris Cooley – WAS

Offensive Tackles:
Max Starks – PIT

Guards:
Ramon Foster – PIT
Doug Legursky – PIT

Linebackers:
Paul Kruger – BAL
Rey Maualuga – CIN
Scott Fujita – CLE

Cornerbacks:
Keenan Lewis – PIT

Safeties:
Pat Chung – NE

Oviedo
01-25-2013, 02:51 PM
I tought you needed cap money to sign free agents. We don't have any!

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2013, 03:05 PM
I tought you needed cap money to sign free agents. We don't have any!

I think we will be cutting vets and restructuring others to create the room we need.

lloydroid
01-25-2013, 04:22 PM
There is no doubt they will have to do a lot of maneuvering to have any cap space to make any moves. But I think they have to. What they won't be doing is signing any FA that are costly. They won't have any space for that which is why ANY semi big name is not an option; only bargain guys will be considered. That is why I spend no time thinking about options like Steve Jackson - who won't be top $ because of age - but will still command more than the bargain basement price tag. Pgh will only consider the real bargains, and that is still the case even if they have cap space.

BigRob
01-25-2013, 04:26 PM
There is no doubt they will have to do a lot of maneuvering to have any cap space to make any moves. But I think they have to. What they won't be doing is signing any FA that are costly. They won't have any space for that which is why ANY semi big name is not an option; only bargain guys will be considered. That is why I spend no time thinking about options like Steve Jackson - who won't be top $ because of age - but will still command more than the bargain basement price tag. Pgh will only consider the real bargains, and that is still the case even if they have cap space.

i.e. Larry Grant or Larry Foote. Grant would be an upgrade over Foote and would come cheap.