PDA

View Full Version : Ezekiel Ansah Youtube clip

Dee Dub
01-23-2013, 02:11 AM
This guy is raw no doubt but I can think of a lot of other words that describe him as well. Disruptive. Quick. Tenacious. Strong. Resilient. Versatile. He played all over the D-front for BYU this past year. Take a look at this clip. Especially the following plays....

1:43 standing up off the edge. OLB/DE. Sack.

2:46 being double teamed by the LT and LG. Never gives up on the play and breaks through for the sack.

3:56 1st down and goal. Shoots through the gap, comes down the line and makes the tackle for loss.

4:00 2nd and goal (the very next play on the same goal-line drive), manages to get through the gap again (this time being held), and yet trips up the back for a tackle for loss.

8:15 standing up inside at DT, he then drops into coverage on a swing pass out to the flat and closes in on the RB and makes the tackle. Tremendous instincts and closing speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-JxQlaxBHU

This guy has played football all of 3 years. This past year was the very first time he ever started. He is going to continue to improve. He has a chance to be a major force in the NFL. I would love to see him off the edge in a 3-4.

jj28west
01-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Granted it was not Alabama's Oline but the guy is all over the place! Thanks for the clip.

papillon
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
It looks like he'll be a good pro, but in how many years? And, do the Steelers have the time to wait? Or, do they need someone to step in immediately and contribute this year at whatever position they draft? I'd love him in the second round, probably won't be there, but I'd rather the Steelers draft someone they think will help in 2013, similar to what they thought when they drafted DeCastro.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Maybe I am totally off on this guy....but I get a bad Zo Jackson vibe from him.

Dee Dub
01-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Maybe I am totally off on this guy....but I get a bad Zo Jackson vibe from him.

Not even close. Jackson was a 4-3 DE and not a very good one. Ansah can play all positions along the Defensive front. And the amazing thing about that is at 272 lbs he is giving up 30-50 lbs against these O-lineman he is going up against. That means this cat is extremely strong. Powerful hands. Combine that with his quickness and you are looking at a flat out freak. When you watch this clip look at how well he gets off these block of these bigger O-lineman.

And I go back to the idea of him coming off the edge as a 3-4 OLB where he isn't get doubled by a T/G or Center. Scary.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-23-2013, 03:24 PM
I guess I just see Zo at 6'4" 265lbs coming out, one year experience under his belt, and see similarities. Like I said, just the build and size and experience seem the same but I haven't seen this dude play other then your provided youtube clip.

BigRob
01-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Not even close. Jackson was a 4-3 DE and not a very good one. Ansah can play all positions along the Defensive front. And the amazing thing about that is at 272 lbs he is giving up 30-50 lbs against these O-lineman he is going up against. That means this cat is extremely strong. Powerful hands. Combine that with his quickness and you are looking at a flat out freak. When you watch this clip look at how well he gets off these block of these bigger O-lineman.

And I go back to the idea of him coming off the edge as a 3-4 OLB where he isn't get doubled by a T/G or Center. Scary.

Zo Jackson comparisons way off. Athletically he is closer to Jean Pierre Paul than Jackson. He's going to do well in the agility drills at the combine and will likely run in the lo 4.6's in the forty.

Age at 24 years old and 3 years of football is a bigger concern to me. He might be 27 before he reaches his full potential.

Dee Dub
01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Zo Jackson comparisons way off. Athletically he is closer to Jean Pierre Paul than Jackson. He's going to do well in the agility drills at the combine and will likely run in the lo 4.6's in the forty.

Age at 24 years old and 3 years of football is a bigger concern to me. He might be 27 before he reaches his full potential.

I dont think it will take that long. I think he is a lot closer than that. His athleticism is off the charts. That alone could carry him very far. Look at how well he improved from last year to this year. Major acceleration. He just needs to learn a little more and he is going to be a beast.

Dee Dub
01-23-2013, 04:31 PM

By the way, where do you see him as 24 years old? I have read that his birthday is Jan. 1991. That would make him 22.

Dee Dub
01-23-2013, 05:39 PM
For all the coaching that Ansah still needs, one thing that cannot be coached/taught is speed. This guy ran a 10.91 100 meters. When he does reach his peak potential everyone is going be saying "There were 16 guys drafted ahead of him?....are you kidding me?!" ;)

BigRob
01-23-2013, 05:56 PM
By the way, where do you see him as 24 years old? I have read that his birthday is Jan. 1991. That would make him 22.

Senior Bowl reports. Dane Brugler reported his birthday is actually 05/29/1989.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Don't think the extra two years will hurt him...after all, he doesn't have much football wear-and-tear on his body. We badly need an OLB, since Harrison is likely gone and Woodley can't be counted upon...

Dee Dub
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Don't think the extra two years will hurt him...after all, he doesn't have much football wear-and-tear on his body. We badly need an OLB, since Harrison is likely gone and Woodley can't be counted upon...

Agreed! And the Steelers have never rushed their DE to OLB conversion players. They will have no problem drafting him if he is the BPA on their board regardless of whether or not they will get an immediate return. This dude has Beast Mode potential. And If all comes together we could be looking back later at the best player in this draft.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-23-2013, 11:27 PM
In this video from the ND - BYU game he looks like an active player, drawing some double teams here and there, but he spends quite a bit of time locked up one on one with a lone OT. Maybe this is simply due to his inexperience with the game and he will get better with coaching, but do we really want to drop the 17th pick in the draft on a guy that may need 2 or 3 years of development when we have so many immediate needs? I know the saying is you draft BPA but I'm pretty sure we can find a damn near day one starter at a greater position of need at 17. Just my thoughts.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MFYELG3ItAk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMFYELG3ItAk

papillon
01-23-2013, 11:38 PM
In this video from the ND - BYU game he looks like an active player, drawing some double teams here and there, but he spends quite a bit of time locked up one on one with a lone OT. Maybe this is simply do to his inexperience with the game and he will get better with coaching, but do we really want to drop the 17th pick in the draft on a guy that may need 2 or 3 years of development when we have so many immediate needs? I know the saying is you draft BPA but I'm pretty sure we can find a damn near day one starter at a greater position of need at 17. Just my thoughts.

Yea, that's what I was thinking, there will be a player available that will probably start or at least see significant playing time next year for the Steelers, one of the defensive tackles, Warmack, Ogletree, Patterson, Te'o, or Minter. I just don't see drafting a project with a lot of day one ready to go players probably being available.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
01-24-2013, 12:02 AM
:? http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=3Dp4M68Tfw0

He refers to himself as a 'delicate flower' and says he was apprehensive to try playing football for a while due to the physicality of the game. Not saying that he obviously isn't over that apprehension, but it just seems like a riskier pick than some of the other prospects that will be there on the board when our name is called.

Dee Dub
01-24-2013, 01:30 AM
In this video from the ND - BYU game he looks like an active player, drawing some double teams here and there, but he spends quite a bit of time locked up one on one with a lone OT. Maybe this is simply due to his inexperience with the game and he will get better with coaching, but do we really want to drop the 17th pick in the draft on a guy that may need 2 or 3 years of development when we have so many immediate needs? I know the saying is you draft BPA but I'm pretty sure we can find a damn near day one starter at a greater position of need at 17. Just my thoughts.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MFYELG3ItAk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMFYELG3ItAk

All I know is he's played only 3 years of football and in just this last year he improved at an accelerated level. Almost like night to day. The light came on and he became a big time player. I think another year and he is a monster.

Dee Dub
01-24-2013, 01:33 AM

Oh and we are talking about a specimen who is 6 ft 6 272 lbs and can run a 10.91 100 meters. He's as strong, quick, fast, relentless, and and not even scratching the surface yet. I would not want to pass on that. Again, if he is coming off the edge standing up in a 3-4 he is going to be hard to contain.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-24-2013, 01:33 AM
All I know is he's played only 3 years of football and in just this last year he improved at an accelerated level. Almost like night to day. The light came on and he became a big time player. I think another year and he is a monster.

Could be Dub. He certainly does have some crazy dimensions and attributes.

steelblood
01-24-2013, 10:04 AM
I haven't seen him enough to form an opinion. The clips look good. The drills at the Senior Bowl are not so impressive. The NFL network guys at the Senior Bowl say that the JPP comparisons are a bit off and that he does not have that sort of flexibility and agility.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-24-2013, 11:29 AM

The kid has the makings to be special. However, I have to see him in position drills at OLB before I say he is a fit. He is a hell of an athlete but again, lack of football reps could expose his instincts when he stands up. If the Steelers have ANY plans of 4-3 in the future...Than absolutley yes! When you watch him...He is one of those kids coming out where you just see where he excels & that is on the LOS. He is disruptive and causing match-up problems run or pass. You put him outside shoulder of an OT when you stand him up...His impact may be less.

As far as his age, I heard he will be 24 in may. I think his birthday is 5/29/1989.

Dee Dub
01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
The kid has the makings to be special. However, I have to see him in position drills at OLB before I say he is a fit. He is a hell of an athlete but again, lack of football reps could expose his instincts when he stands up. If the Steelers have ANY plans of 4-3 in the future...Than absolutley yes! When you watch him...He is one of those kids coming out where you just see where he excels & that is on the LOS. He is disruptive and causing match-up problems run or pass. You put him outside shoulder of an OT when you stand him up...His impact may be less.

As far as his age, I heard he will be 24 in may. I think his birthday is 5/29/1989.

He played some OLB this past year at BYU and looked pretty descent at it. In fact in this clip you will see him lined up standing up a few times. He was moved all over the front. Sometimes even at the NT spot. I am not saying this kid come in and tears it up from day one. But at the rate he is progressing I can see someone who could be a dominate player.

I want to emphasize something again. He is 272 lbs. He was often lined up against guys 30-50 lbs heavier than him. And often doubled teamed by two of those type of players. Then factor in his speed and quickness. He will make plays just on his physical attributes. Sprinkle in some more learning and he could be off the charts.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
He played some OLB this past year at BYU and looked pretty descent at it. In fact in this clip you will see him lined up standing up a few times. He was moved all over the front. Sometimes even at the NT spot. I am not saying this kid come in and tears it up from day one. But at the rate he is progressing I can see someone who could be a dominate player.

I want to emphasize something again. He is 272 lbs. He was often lined up against guys 30-50 lbs heavier than him. And often doubled teamed by two of those type of players. Then factor in his speed and quickness. He will make plays just on his physical attributes. Sprinkle in some more learning and he could be off the charts.

Not necessarily. Watch the ND-BYU video clip...he is double teamed a few times but most times he looks like Lamar Woodley slow dancing with a tackle.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-24-2013, 01:45 PM

I think he will be a very productive NFL player. Just not ready to project him to a 3-4 OLB just yet. I don't see much of him playing in space, covering RBs & TEs, and what he looks like in drops. Lots of questions. He could answer them all...Not saying he can't. If you are a 4-3 team...His tape gives you confidence in his abilities. At 4-3 DE..I think he will "come in and tears it up from day one". There is alot to be said for telling a guy to put his hand in the dirt & follow the ball. He gets in that situation...Impact day 1.

There is a reason why the Steelers seldom go OLB in round 1. One of the reasons many in here want them to jump to a 4-3. The right fit. Transition to 3-4 does take time and hard to project. Usually, they are those guys who get picked in the 2nd with the "tweener" tag. Swing away...You hope the "projection" is right. To me, there are only two OLBs @ #17 I am comfortable with based on fit...Jones & Moore. Neither will be there. As a GM, I would have to be 110% clear on Jones medical. Sitting here..I am not. SO for me...Moore is the only OLB @ #17. Like I said, he won't be there. Mingo, Jordan, Montgomery, Ansah, Okafor, may end up being 1st round talent 4-3 DEs, or 1st round "ceiling" 3-4 OLBs. Projecting them into 3-4 OLB in the NFL will be done over the combine & workouts. That is one thing that sucks about the Senior Bowl. I wish we could see them play 3-4. There could be 3-4 OLBs in that group..Not saying that either. Mingo may only fit at 3-4 OLB. Adding mass to play DE may hinder his production. His ceiling is very high there but does his funtional strength now warrant a pick that high for a 3-4 team? He may be 1-2 years down the road. He may be that one player who in 3 years you say he should have been picked in the Top 3. He could also be that pick where you say what were they thinking.

My gut tells me Harrison will be cut because he won't play for what the Steelers will want him to. Worilds is viewed as the starter for 2013. He will play the 2013 season to earn his new contract. They will draft an OLB is the first three rounds. The Steelers paid for a winner keeping a core together. When they are aged & you go 8-8...Time to cut the fat. Time to play the draft choices while you clear the books. The next shift is coming in.

BigRob
01-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Oh and we are talking about a specimen who is 6 ft 6 272 lbs and can run a 10.91 100 meters. He's as strong, quick, fast, relentless, and and not even scratching the surface yet. I would not want to pass on that. Again, if he is coming off the edge standing up in a 3-4 he is going to be hard to contain.

I like him Dub, but I see him being gone before pick 17.

Oviedo
01-24-2013, 02:51 PM

I agree. He reminds me of a Suggs type guy who could be moved around to attack from different angles if we could get LeBeau to break his template rush of the two OLB from the same direction all the time.

I'd love this pick at 1.17

Oviedo
01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
I think he will be a very productive NFL player. Just not ready to project him to a 3-4 OLB just yet. I don't see much of him playing in space, covering RBs & TEs, and what he looks like in drops. Lots of questions. He could answer them all...Not saying he can't. If you are a 4-3 team...His tape gives you confidence in his abilities. At 4-3 DE..I think he will "come in and tears it up from day one". There is alot to be said for telling a guy to put his hand in the dirt & follow the ball. He gets in that situation...Impact day 1.

There is a reason why the Steelers seldom go OLB in round 1. One of the reasons many in here want them to jump to a 4-3. The right fit. Transition to 3-4 does take time and hard to project. Usually, they are those guys who get picked in the 2nd with the "tweener" tag. Swing away...You hope the "projection" is right. To me, there are only two OLBs @ #17 I am comfortable with based on fit...Jones & Moore. Neither will be there. As a GM, I would have to be 110% clear on Jones medical. Sitting here..I am not. SO for me...Moore is the only OLB @ #17. Like I said, he won't be there. Mingo, Jordan, Montgomery, Ansah, Okafor, may end up being 1st round talent 4-3 DEs, or 1st round "ceiling" 3-4 OLBs. Projecting them into 3-4 OLB in the NFL will be done over the combine & workouts. That is one thing that sucks about the Senior Bowl. I wish we could see them play 3-4. There could be 3-4 OLBs in that group..Not saying that either. Mingo may only fit at 3-4 OLB. Adding mass to play DE may hinder his production. His ceiling is very high there but does his funtional strength now warrant a pick that high for a 3-4 team? He may be 1-2 years down the road. He may be that one player who in 3 years you say he should have been picked in the Top 3. He could also be that pick where you say what were they thinking.

My gut tells me Harrison will be cut because he won't play for what the Steelers will want him to. Worilds is viewed as the starter for 2013. He will play the 2013 season to earn his new contract. They will draft an OLB is the first three rounds. The Steelers paid for a winner keeping a core together. When they are aged & you go 8-8...Time to cut the fat. Time to play the draft choices while you clear the books. The next shift is coming in.

You state exactly why the 4-3 works in the NFL with cap issues. You can replenish the talent quicker and get contributions sooner. That helps you evaluate whether you keep a player or let them move on sooner.

As far as another time consuming "conversion project" to OLB, Dion Jordan looks excellent in coverage.

Dee Dub
01-24-2013, 04:57 PM
This from ESPN...

Ansah struggles
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0123/nfl_a_eze_cr_300.jpg (http://insider.espn.go.com/photo/2013/0123/nfl_a_eze_cr_600.jpg)
You wanted to see more from BYU'sEzekiel Ansah (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/30245/ezekiel-ansah) (6-5, 274). He flashed his talent at times and he was able to set, redirect and disengage to affect the play and make a stop. You can see the talent, athleticism and speed, especially at his size, but you wanted to see more. You want to see the proper use of hands, the technique and instincts.
That may take a while in that department. He's not there at this point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My problem with this is how do you expect or want to see more in regards to proper use of hands, technique, and instincts when he has only played football for 3 years and only just became a starter this past year?

Think back to your 3rd year in football. How was your use of hands, technique, and instincts? And at what level were you?..Pop Warner? Try doing it at the Division 1 football.

BigRob
01-24-2013, 05:01 PM
This from ESPN...

Ansah struggles

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0123/nfl_a_eze_cr_300.jpg (http://insider.espn.go.com/photo/2013/0123/nfl_a_eze_cr_600.jpg)
You wanted to see more from BYU'sEzekiel Ansah (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/30245/ezekiel-ansah) (6-5, 274). He flashed his talent at times and he was able to set, redirect and disengage to affect the play and make a stop. You can see the talent, athleticism and speed, especially at his size, but you wanted to see more. You want to see the proper use of hands, the technique and instincts.
That may take a while in that department. He's not there at this point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My problem with this is how do you expect or want to see more in regards to proper use of hands, technique, and instincts when he has only played football for 3 years and only just became a starter this past year?

Think back to your 3rd year in football. How was your use of hands, technique, and instincts? And at what level were you?..Pop Warner? Try doing it at the Division 1 football.

What's amazing is to think what an NFL strength and conditioning program is going to do for him. When he runs in the high 4.5's to low 4.6 teams are going to go crazy over him. I see him being gone between pick 8 to 14. Imagine what Rex Ryan could do with him.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-24-2013, 05:07 PM
At this point to me its like gazing at a bag of some of the most bad*ss clay you have ever seen. You gotta mold that clay to get an awesome work of art out of it. How has Keith Butler/ Lebeau been with molding the plethora of LB's we have taken over the years? That's the real question. Do we have the artist on staff to do the molding? Timmons has grown. Woodley has regressed. And we had to go out into free agency to get Foote back due to our inability to have anyone else ready to go.

Dee Dub
01-24-2013, 05:09 PM
What's amazing is to think what an NFL strength and conditioning program is going to do for him. When he runs in the high 4.5's to low 4.6 teams are going to go crazy over him. I see him being gone between pick 8 to 14. Imagine what Rex Ryan could do with him.

Exactly. And also how having more experience will help him as well. Some good coaching up. And you are probably right. He probably wont be there at 17.

Dee Dub
01-24-2013, 05:11 PM
At this point to me its like gazing at a bag of some of the most bad*ss clay you have ever seen. You gotta mold that clay to get an awesome work of art out of it. How has Keith Butler/ Lebeau been with molding the plethora of LB's we have taken over the years? That's the real question. Do we have the artist on staff to do the molding? Timmons has grown. Woodley has regressed. And we had to go out into free agency to get Foote back due to our inability to have anyone else ready to go.

The Steelers have never taken the quick fix approach where their DE/OLB tweeners. If you go back all of them have taken at least a year and in most cases a couple of years to be where they need to be.

Oviedo
01-24-2013, 06:37 PM
The Steelers have never taken the quick fix approach where their DE/OLB tweeners. If you go back all of them have taken at least a year and in most cases a couple of years to be where they need to be.

And we are paying the price now with two consecutive substandard seasons from our OLBs. It takes too long to "convert" the players meaning we don't have the depth we need ready to play when we need them. However, IMO Worilds seems to be more ready than Woodley.

phillyesq
01-24-2013, 06:58 PM
And we are paying the price now with two consecutive substandard seasons from our OLBs. It takes too long to "convert" the players meaning we don't have the depth we need ready to play when we need them. However, IMO Worilds seems to be more ready than Woodley.

So Woodley's decline in play in the middle of his career is a result of playing DE in college?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
How much did Woodley benefit from having Harrison on the other side? You have a monster one one side, the other side can dominate.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2013, 09:53 PM
So Woodley's decline in play in the middle of his career is a result of playing DE in college?

I believe Woodley's decline in play in the middle of his career is a result of him not being in the proper physical condition which has led to his hamstring pulls...

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Desmond Trufant's draft stock soaring; Ezekiel Ansah too raw?

By Daniel Jeremiah
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: Jan. 24, 2013

MOBILE, Ala. -- Now that we are through three full days of Senior Bowl practices, it's time to single out a few players who have seen their draft stock rise or fall here:

Risers

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: Trufant has been the top cornerback in Mobile. He has shown outstanding foot quickness, agility and ball skills. Most teams that I spoke with prior to the Senior Bowl had Trufant pegged as a middle-of-the-second-round-type player. Following three days of practice, nearly every personnel executive I spoke with considers him a likely first-round pick.

Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern: Williams quickly garnered the attention of NFL personnel during the weigh-ins, checking in at a whopping 341 pounds. He hasn't had any trouble using his size and strength to overpower opposing linemen in one-on-one pass-rush drills. However, his surprisingly nimble footwork is what has been most impressive. He is being talked about as a likely second-round pick.

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas: Every time Goodwin lines up for a repetition in one-on-ones, there is a hush in the crowd. NFL evaluators have been intoxicated by his explosiveness off the line of scrimmage and ability to find another gear when the ball is in the air. He has been caught up in press coverage a few times this week, but his overall performance has left quite an impression on clubs in need of a home-run hitter at receiver.

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech and Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: I couldn't include one of these players without adding the other. Both Patton and Wheaton have been outstanding the entire week of practice. Patton is a little bit stronger than Wheaton, but they are both natural route-runners with incredible quickness. Both guys have made impressive catches on 50-50 balls, defeating cornerbacks with equal opportunities to make a play. Patton and Wheaton can play either inside or outside and should immediately contribute to the teams that draft them. These are plug-and-play-type talents.

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma: Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher has put together a dominant week of practice, but that was expected by most NFL evaluators. Johnson, on the other hand, didn't show up in Mobile with quite the same reputation. Through the first three days of practice, there aren't many NFL personnel men who consider Johnson anything other than a first-round talent. He's played both left and right tackle and handled opposing pass rushers with ease during the one-on-one pass-rush drills. He also has shown a nasty side in the run game.

Sliders

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU: Ansah is one of the most physically gifted players in this draft class, but he showed this week that he still has a lot of developing to do. During pass-rush periods, he repeatedly tried to work through the numbers of the offensive tackle, but his bull rush was rarely effective. He flashed one inside-spin move, but otherwise was predictable and unsuccessful in his pass-rushing attempts. Some teams are concerned with what transpired this week, while others are still bullish on the incredible upside of the BYU defender.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/0ap1000000130606/article/desmond-trufants-draft-stock-soaring-ezekiel-ansah-too-raw

Dee Dub
01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Desmond Trufant's draft stock soaring; Ezekiel Ansah too raw?

By Daniel Jeremiah
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: Jan. 24, 2013

MOBILE, Ala. -- Now that we are through three full days of Senior Bowl practices, it's time to single out a few players who have seen their draft stock rise or fall here:

Risers

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: Trufant has been the top cornerback in Mobile. He has shown outstanding foot quickness, agility and ball skills. Most teams that I spoke with prior to the Senior Bowl had Trufant pegged as a middle-of-the-second-round-type player. Following three days of practice, nearly every personnel executive I spoke with considers him a likely first-round pick.

Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern: Williams quickly garnered the attention of NFL personnel during the weigh-ins, checking in at a whopping 341 pounds. He hasn't had any trouble using his size and strength to overpower opposing linemen in one-on-one pass-rush drills. However, his surprisingly nimble footwork is what has been most impressive. He is being talked about as a likely second-round pick.

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas: Every time Goodwin lines up for a repetition in one-on-ones, there is a hush in the crowd. NFL evaluators have been intoxicated by his explosiveness off the line of scrimmage and ability to find another gear when the ball is in the air. He has been caught up in press coverage a few times this week, but his overall performance has left quite an impression on clubs in need of a home-run hitter at receiver.

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech and Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: I couldn't include one of these players without adding the other. Both Patton and Wheaton have been outstanding the entire week of practice. Patton is a little bit stronger than Wheaton, but they are both natural route-runners with incredible quickness. Both guys have made impressive catches on 50-50 balls, defeating cornerbacks with equal opportunities to make a play. Patton and Wheaton can play either inside or outside and should immediately contribute to the teams that draft them. These are plug-and-play-type talents.

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma: Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher has put together a dominant week of practice, but that was expected by most NFL evaluators. Johnson, on the other hand, didn't show up in Mobile with quite the same reputation. Through the first three days of practice, there aren't many NFL personnel men who consider Johnson anything other than a first-round talent. He's played both left and right tackle and handled opposing pass rushers with ease during the one-on-one pass-rush drills. He also has shown a nasty side in the run game.

Sliders

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU: Ansah is one of the most physically gifted players in this draft class, but he showed this week that he still has a lot of developing to do. During pass-rush periods, he repeatedly tried to work through the numbers of the offensive tackle, but his bull rush was rarely effective. He flashed one inside-spin move, but otherwise was predictable and unsuccessful in his pass-rushing attempts. Some teams are concerned with what transpired this week, while others are still bullish on the incredible upside of the BYU defender.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/0ap1000000130606/article/desmond-trufants-draft-stock-soaring-ezekiel-ansah-too-raw

This is not a revelation. He's only played football for 3 years in his entire life. These things shouldn't be a surprise but should be expected. And you don't have to be an ex-NFL scout Mr. Jeremiah to know this.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Sorry, but you just don't drop the 17th pick in the draft on such a project..especially when you have a lot of other needs. Projects are for the 3rd round on.

Dee Dub
01-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Sorry, but you just don't drop the 17th pick in the draft on such a project..especially when you have a lot of other needs. Projects are for the 3rd round on.

I disagree. When he is this talented you do. His upside could make him the best defensive in this entire draft. A dominating force. And because of the progress he made in just over a year from his junior year to senior year I see a player who is on the fast track.

Mister Pittsburgh..he runs a 10.91 100 meters. He's 272 lbs. Quick as a cat and very strong. If we dont somebody else will and you and I will be here on PS talking/screaming about why the Steelers didn't draft him.

BigRob
01-25-2013, 05:02 PM
I will be here on PS talking/screaming about why the Steelers didn't draft him.

This, always this, how many times do we do this now? We're never on here screaming about people we wanted the Steelers to draft when they didn't pan out in the NFL.

Ansah is worth the risk. His upside is higher than that of almost any other first round pass rusher. He is a bit more boom/bust than I would like, but he would be worth it.

Oviedo
01-25-2013, 05:13 PM
This, always this, how many times do we do this now? However we're never on here screaming about people we wanted the Steelers to draft and don't pan out in the NFL.

Ansah is worth the risk. His upside is higher than that of almost any other first round pass rusher. He is a bit more boom/bust than I would like, but he would be worth it.

Ansah is totally worth and it and I'll say Dion Jordan is too. They are hybrids who I think can help the pass rush and still be effective in coverage. I like the fact that if we get smart and go to the 4-3 they also project well as DE in that formation.

Dee Dub
01-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Ansah is totally worth and it and I'll say Dion Jordan is too. They are hybrids who I think can help the pass rush and still be effective in coverage. I like the fact that if we get smart and go to the 4-3 they also project well as DE in that formation.

So far he is doing very well in this Senior Bowl game. I think he is the type of player you don't focus so much on how he does in individual drills but more so how he does in a game.

SS Laser
01-26-2013, 06:09 PM

It is interesting you keep beating the 4-3 drum. When more teams every year switch to the 3-4. Have heard but not confirm the Browns and Saints might/are going 3-4. Must be a reason in todays NFL to run a 3-4.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-26-2013, 06:33 PM
It is interesting you keep beating the 4-3 drum. When more teams every year switch to the 3-4. Have heard but not confirm the Browns and Saints might/are going 3-4. Must be a reason in todays NFL to run a 3-4.

I don't mind we run the 3-4. I do mind our 3-4 takes multiple seasons to either learn, or earn a shot to take the field in Lebeau's eyes.

SS Laser
01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
I don't mind we run the 3-4. I do mind our 3-4 takes multiple seasons to either learn, or earn a shot to take the field in Lebeau's eyes.

Will it change much once he is retired if Butler is the man? I am not sure if it is just Lebeau. It is a combination of things that cause this. But grooming players has paid off in my eyes. Will see if this can continue this year. I have concerns with Lewis. Don't want to groom players then lose them of course.