PDA

View Full Version : FA WR question

SS Laser
01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
If not resigned by the Pats. Would you sign Welker to maybe what the steelers see as a Wallace type deal if he would take it and Wallace walks? Do you think he could be a beast in Haleys offense? Is Welker a #1 in Haleys offense?
I know a bunch here want the big monster WR but it might not happen. Is there a Plex or better in the draft? Is there a smaller physical type WR in the draft? ( Ward like.)

NW Steeler
01-21-2013, 03:50 PM
No. I think we have enough of the smaller, shifty guys that you get out in space. We need the big, physical receiver that will GET the ball.

phillyesq
01-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Rather than throw money at a Welker, if the Steelers were going to take a shot on a FA WR, I would prefer it to be Jennings. Bowe will likely command big money, and I don't think he is worth it, but I'd prefer a larger WR as opposed to Welker.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Welker turns 32 this offseason and is entering his 10th year in the NFL. I thought the idea was make the team younger, not older.

isonator07
01-21-2013, 05:22 PM
If not resigned by the Pats. Would you sign Welker to maybe what the steelers see as a Wallace type deal if he would take it and Wallace walks? Do you think he could be a beast in Haleys offense? Is Welker a #1 in Haleys offense?
I know a bunch here want the big monster WR but it might not happen. Is there a Plex or better in the draft? Is there a smaller physical type WR in the draft? ( Ward like.)

I like Chris Harper from Kansas State. He has a strong build and is 6'1" 230lbs. He went to Oregon as a QB before converting to WR and transferring to Kansas State. He is built like Anquan Boldin (6'1" 225 lbs.) He is projected to go in the 4-5 round range.

NW Steeler
01-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Where does Ryan Swope fall in the draft? Kid put up some numbers at A&M. Not huge, but 6'1" 205-ish.

Chadman
01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
As far as FA WR's go- the Giants pair of Hixon & Bardon could be good value.

And with all the big name WR's in this draft- Chadman would take Da'Rick Rogers out of Tenn Tech- if you take character concerns out of the equation (drug issues- but the Steelers took the chance on Adams & so far, so good) he is EVERYTHING you want in a #1 WR- big, physical, catches with his hands, fights for ther ball... he's the real deal.

There are a few mid to later round options that could help- Swope being one of those for sure.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2013, 09:33 PM
No. I think we have enough of the smaller, shifty guys that you get out in space. We need the big, physical receiver that will GET the ball.

This x 1,000

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Where does Ryan Swope fall in the draft? Kid put up some numbers at A&M. Not huge, but 6'1" 205-ish.
I can't see Tomlin drafting a white player at a skill position. With that said, Swope is interesting.

Chadman
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
I can't see Tomlin drafting a white player at a skill position. With that said, Swope is interesting.

While it would seem that more black players are selected under Tomlin than white players, it's a little unfair to make the 'skill players' comment as 'most' skill players- WR's, CB's etc... are black.

NorthCoast
01-21-2013, 10:08 PM
This x 1,000

This x another 1000...

If you watched any of the playoffs this year you will understand that a big tall strong WR is absolutely required to win games against good defensive teams. In my opinion Flacco threw plenty of jump balls and their WRs out-jumped and out-muscled the DB time and again. Without those kind of receivers these Superbowls teams probably don't make it past the first round.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
I am really starting to believe a WR will be taken early in this years draft. Cordarelle Patterson might make a lot of sense to the steelers. Big physical guy that also is dynamic in the return game.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2013, 11:53 PM
While it would seem that more black players are selected under Tomlin than white players, it's a little unfair to make the 'skill players' comment as 'most' skill players- WR's, CB's etc... are black.
It's just my personal opinion that Tomlin is racist. Nobody has to share it.

Chadman
01-22-2013, 12:12 AM
It's just my personal opinion that Tomlin is racist. Nobody has to share it.

Hard to argue that... :D

Honesty is refreshing though!

Shawn
01-22-2013, 01:15 AM
The Steelers might be interested in slimming down Jake Stoneburner-TE who plays more like a big WR. 6 foot 5 good hands, good routes, and fast for that size....could be had in the 6th.