PDA

View Full Version : Ben to Arizona Cardinals trade...would you do this?

Dee Dub
01-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Arizona gives up its #1 this year (#6 overall), their second round pick this year (#38 overall), their number 1 next year, and CB Patrick Peterson.

Arizona and Arians get their QB, they pair Ben with Fitzgerald, then sign Mike Wallace and Max Starks.

And if you would pull this trigger who do you get to replace Ben at QB? Would it be through this draft? If so who?...and at what pick?

I personally say..........no! But if they threw in their third round pick this year I may take a hard look at this..........or maybe not.

Let's see..just for fun

Steelers get

CB Patrick Peterson
OG Chance Warmack #6 overall 2013
QB Matt Barkley #17 overall 2013
ILB Kevin Minter #38 overall 2013
RB Eddie Lacy #48 overall this year

How does Barkley look to you now with Warmack, Pouncey, and DeCastro inside and a power running game of Eddie Lacy?

and in 2014? Two number one's could land you Jadaveon Clowney? Who knows??

SteelCrazy
01-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Arizona gives up its #1 this year (#6 overall), their second round pick this year (#38 overall), their number 1 next year, and CB Patrick Peterson.

Arizona and Arians get their QB, they pair Ben with Fitzgerald, then sign Mike Wallace and Max Starks.

And if you would pull this trigger who do you get to replace Ben at QB? Would it be through this draft? If so who?...and at what pick?

I personally say..........no! But if they threw in their third round pick this year I may take a hard look at this..........or maybe not.

Let's see..just for fun

Steelers get

CB Patrick Peterson

How does Barkley look to you now with Warmack, Pouncey, and DeCastro inside and a power running game of Eddie Lacy?

No. I wouldnt trade Ben for the entire roster of the Arizona Cardinals + draft picks 1-7.

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Matt Barkley sucks. You need a QB to win in this league. That trade would turn the bottom feeding no QB Cardinals into a perennial contender and would send us back to the sucky 80's. no no no

fordfixer
01-18-2013, 07:52 PM

Let's see..just for fun

Steelers get

CB Patrick Peterson

And we get the money to pay 2 #1 draft picks frommmmmmmm....................

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Would be an interesting deal. What's Ben have, 3 years left? Maybe if they had actually drafted and started grooming a QB like tons of us have called for the past couple years. If Geno Smith were guaranteed to be there at the 6th pick the Steelers would probably go for it since the love African American QB's so much.

BigRob
01-18-2013, 07:54 PM
And we get the money to pay 2 #1 draft picks frommmmmmmm....................

This is a non-starter now with Rookie Wage limits in place after the new CBA. Go look at what Cam Newton and Andrew Luck got paid compared to Mathew Stafford.

It was negligible. Compared to Stafford.

As to trading Ben. No, No, and double heck no. If they were going to trade him, it would have been at the 2010 draft after the Georgia Incident came out.

SS Laser
01-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Yes I would do it for that haul. But can not see any team giving up that much for one player even Ben. Also DO NOT like or want Barkley. Other then that nice way to BLOW up the team an start over. Not sure what to do about a QB in this situation. I guess a stop gap FA. Matt Moore maybe. Maybe I would not like this after looking at it more. But Loyd would be happy.

supersteeler
01-18-2013, 08:10 PM
We don't need another Kent Graham here to put us in the cellar for years to come, Nah, I'll stick with Ben.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-18-2013, 08:17 PM
It's too hard to get another great QB. A big NO to this deal.

Snatch98
01-18-2013, 08:24 PM
I'd be intrigued because that's one hell of a haul and we could revamp the roster. However Ben isn't over the hill. I believe that our line will continue to improve and we'll get another 4 or 5 years out of Ben AT LEAST. He hasn't had any "major" football related injuries that would effect the way he plays long term. He just needs to get less "banged around" injuries by improving our line play. He's a top 5 QB when healthy so while intriguing, no way do I make this deal.

Dee Dub
01-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Matt Barkley sucks. You need a QB to win in this league. That trade would turn the bottom feeding no QB Cardinals into a perennial contender and would send us back to the sucky 80's. no no no

Why do you say Barkley sucks? I dont think he sucks he isnt as great as the hype about him prior to this year but I hardly think he sucks. A 4 year starter who has a solid accurate arm. Put him in a power running game offense and I think he could manage the offense well enough to win. Remember even though he had some great receivers to throw to for most of his 4 years he played on a team that had restrictions levied on the number of scholarships they could give.

115 career TD's to 48 INT's, over 11,000 yards passing, a near 65% completion percentage, and having only been sacked 55 times over 4 years? Man I'd like to suck like that. And this was not in any gimmick offense. This was in a pro-style set.

Dee Dub
01-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Patrick Peterson is as close as shut down corner as there is in the league...

7 UP
01-18-2013, 08:46 PM
No. I wouldnt trade Ben for the entire roster of the Arizona Cardinals + draft picks 1-7.

This about sums it up.

Shawn
01-18-2013, 09:12 PM
It would be tempting because I don't think Ben has many healthy seasons left in him.

Dee Dub
01-18-2013, 09:25 PM
It would be tempting because I don't think Ben has many healthy seasons left in him.

And not only that...but A.J. McCarron comes out next year. He can run a power offense.

legend of polamalu
01-18-2013, 09:33 PM

I was going to say the same thing...A franchise qb only comes around once every 20 years.

feltdizz
01-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Hell no... I don't trust USC QB's... and you can't replace a franchise QB. I'm very critical of Ben but I would never get rid of him.

Dee Dub
01-18-2013, 09:54 PM
I was going to say the same thing...A franchise qb only comes around once every 20 years.

They are actually coming out about every other year now. You dont have to wait 20 years any more.

flippy
01-18-2013, 10:08 PM
I'd pull the trigger on this trade if the Cards throw in Arians himself.

Eich
01-18-2013, 10:18 PM
They are actually coming out about every other year now. You dont have to wait 20 years any more.

How many are proven to be franchise QB's really? Youd'a thunk Cam was one in his rookie year? Is he now? Only time will tell. I'll stick with our proven guy until he's done.

SteelBucks
01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Trading away a franchise QB who should be entering his prime?

Negative on the trade.

williar
01-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Where do I sign!!

Even though I would have to face the fact that Ben would be so highly motivated going to AZ to play for Arians. I'm sure he could hardly wait back to transform back into his perennial game-winning, ultra-playmaking ways so he and Arians can stick it to us up the rear....... Sadly though, it would probably take something as drastic as that to shake-up Ben to truly be great again....

Sugar
01-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Why do you say Barkley sucks? I dont think he sucks he isnt as great as the hype about him prior to this year but I hardly think he sucks. A 4 year starter who has a solid accurate arm. Put him in a power running game offense and I think he could manage the offense well enough to win. Remember even though he had some great receivers to throw to for most of his 4 years he played on a team that had restrictions levied on the number of scholarships they could give.

115 career TD's to 48 INT's, over 11,000 yards passing, a near 65% completion percentage, and having only been sacked 55 times over 4 years? Man I'd like to suck like that. And this was not in any gimmick offense. This was in a pro-style set.

I was thinking something similar. While I admit to not watching amateur football as much, I remember when Barkley and USC came to Ohio State in primetime his Freshman year. He had all the lights on him and 100,000 screaming Buckeyes that wanted to see him dead. He was able to manage the game and make some great throws as as Freshman in the harshest of circumstances. It wasn't too big for him. He's also not some one-year wonder. Anyway, I can't tell you how great he is or not in comparison to some others, but he impressed me.

IF you could get that trade scenario, I'd do it. Ben is great and he's one of my favorite Steelers ever. I don't think the team is more than some focus and health away from being a SB contender, so I don't suggest getting rid of the franchise QB lightly. That said, I don't know that he has that many healthy years left and what the team would get in return would set things up for the next decade.

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2013, 12:47 AM

Yeah, and last year was the year to get yourself franchise QB. This year, guys like Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, and Mike Glennon seem to be more in line with the Christian Ponder/Jake Locker/Blaine Gabbert types than the Luck/RG3 types. Each of the guys are talented in their own way, and great college QB's, but I don't see any blow-me-away sure-things here on the next level...far from it.

I do love me some Patrick Peterson though...he was my draft man-crush from a few years back, but I'd still pass. A bona fide franchise QB is simply too important. If you don't have one these days, you need every last thing to go right for you just to have a shot. No thanks.

DukieBoy
01-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Winning it all depends on having a star QB, esp in today's NFL. See list below.
Tempting list of returns on such a trade, but no thank you.

Super Bowl I - Bart Starr
Super Bowl II - Bart Starr
Super Bowl III - Joe Namath
Super Bowl IV - Len Dawson
Super Bowl V - Johnny Unitas
Super Bowl VI - Roger Staubach
Super Bowl VII - Bob Griese
Super Bowl VIII - Bob Griese
Super Bowl IX - Terry Bradshaw
Super Bowl X - Terry Bradshaw
Super Bowl XI - Ken Stabler
Super Bowl XII - Roger Staubach
Super Bowl XIII - Terry Bradshaw
Super Bowl XIV - Terry Bradshaw
Super Bowl XV - Jim Plunkett
Super Bowl XVI - Joe Montana
Super Bowl XVII - Joe Theismann
Super Bowl XVIII - Jim Plunkett
Super Bowl XIX - Joe Montana
Super Bowl XX - Jim McMahon
Super Bowl XXI - Phil Simms
Super Bowl XXII - Doug Williams
Super Bowl XXIII - Joe Montana
Super Bowl XXIV - Joe Montana
Super Bowl XXV - Jeff Hostetler
Super Bowl XXVI - Mark Rypien
Super Bowl XXVII - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXVIII - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXIX - Steve Young
Super Bowl XXX - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXXI - Brett Favre
Super Bowl XXXII - John Elway
Super Bowl XXXIII - John Elway
Super Bowl XXXIV - Kurt Warner
Super Bowl XXXV - Trent Dilfer
Super Bowl XXXVI - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XXXVII - Brad Johnson
Super Bowl XXXVIII - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XXXIX - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XL - Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl XLI - Peyton Manning
Super Bowl XLII - Eli Manning
Super Bowl XLIII - Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl XLIV - Drew Brees
Super Bowl XLV - Aaron Rodgers

steelmann58
01-19-2013, 03:39 AM
Matt Barkley is Matt Sanchez part 2

Mister Pittsburgh
01-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Trading away a franchise QB who should be entering his prime?

Negative on the trade.

Hope I'm wrong but I sorta feel his 'prime' is over.

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Given Ben's age, I think the Steelers would make that deal. I doubt a deal like that happens though.

SidSmythe
01-19-2013, 11:14 AM
USC QB?? No thanks.

Sugar
01-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Hmmm... why would you think that? Sanchez only started one year. Barkley has started 4.

SDSteel1
01-19-2013, 12:04 PM
There are 2 types of Steeler fans, there are Steeler fans who feel like the Steelers owe everything to Ben because he is the only reason that the Steeler ever won the 5th or 6th Super Bowl, and they feel we will never win anything again without Ben. Then there are Steeler fans who realize that Ben was our QB on our last 2 Championship teams, and he has been the best QB we have had since Bradshaw, he isn't a top 5 QB, and also realize that he is not the only reason we won, and he has his faults. The people in the first group will never ever agree to trading Ben no matter how great the deal might be for the Steelers, because they feel that the Steelers will never win another championship without Ben, then there are the people in the 2nd group, who realize that although Ben is good they also realize that Ben will continue to be Ben, and because of his prior success he won't push himself outside of his current comfort zone to get better, so if we can get a good return by trading him we would be better off in the next 3-5 years. I am in the second group, and I would pull the trigger onm the deal.

Sugar
01-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't think anyone thinks that the Steelers will never will another championship without Ben. If that's the case, you might as well close the franchise as soon as he retires.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-19-2013, 12:35 PM
I can think of one playoff game, Denver, and one drive, Superbowl, that Ben put the team on his back and carried the team like an all-time great QB. But most games, including both SB wins, our defense is the reason we won. Over the years there have been glimpses of greatness in games here and there from Ben, but the rock of this team comes from the 11 guys on the other side of the ball. Our offense typically ranks around 20th in the league.
Pwith that said, with Ben probably having 3 more solid years, if Arizona coughed up something like two 1st round picks, a second and 4th this year and like a 3rd and 5th next year, we would have to heavily consider it.

The Steelers brass want a run first offense anyway and that's clear. What other top 5 QB do you see around the league who has a crap offensive line, garbage RB's, and the team lets his WR's walk or traded away his entire career. And then when he has an OC he loves, they kick him out the door claiming he is retiring only for him to go make another first year QB look good and parlay that into a HC gig. At this point Ben has to resent the Rooney's.

raycafan
01-19-2013, 01:01 PM
There are 2 types of Steeler fans, there are Steeler fans who feel like the Steelers owe everything to Ben because he is the only reason that the Steeler ever won the 5th or 6th Super Bowl, and they feel we will never win anything again without Ben. Then there are Steeler fans who realize that Ben was our QB on our last 2 Championship teams, and he has been the best QB we have had since Bradshaw, he isn't a top 5 QB, and also realize that he is not the only reason we won, and he has his faults. The people in the first group will never ever agree to trading Ben no matter how great the deal might be for the Steelers, because they feel that the Steelers will never win another championship without Ben, then there are the people in the 2nd group, who realize that although Ben is good they also realize that Ben will continue to be Ben, and because of his prior success he won't push himself outside of his current comfort zone to get better, so if we can get a good return by trading him we would be better off in the next 3-5 years. I am in the second group, and I would pull the trigger onm the deal.

I agree with what you say here SD. But I don't think the Steeler Organization would not trade him, for he sells tickets. I know they have sold tickets for near 40+ yrs. But in todays environment of economics he sells tickets do to the fact we never really believe their out of a game, if its close late with him at QB. But a trade like this would or could be equal to the Hershal Walker trade of the cowboys and vikes. It would be a interesting scenario as the original post is suggested. Again, its just a thought but a well thought out one, IMHO.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Steelers have a ten or more year waiting list for season tickets.

raycafan
01-19-2013, 01:31 PM
I know about the waiting list, but he still brings in dollars.

Dee Dub
01-19-2013, 02:04 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. Barkley is far better than Sanchez. And he is a 4 years starter with more experience coming into the NFL. And as I said in the initial post, it doesnt have to be Barkley.

Shoe
01-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Hope I'm wrong but I sorta feel his 'prime' is over.

No doubt about that. Only ones who would doubt it are lemmings. Ben has built his career on his ability to extend plays with his physical ability, and throw more accurately on the move than most anyone in history. That ability wanes after each passing year. Now that's not to say that he still isn't one of the better QB's in the game, or that he couldn't win another SB with us. But to say he is still in his prime is kind-of delusional.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-19-2013, 04:02 PM
No doubt about that. Only ones who would doubt it are lemmings. Ben has built his career on his ability to extend plays with his physical ability, and throw more accurately on the move than most anyone in history. That ability wanes after each passing year. Now that's not to say that he still isn't one of the better QB's in the game, or that he couldn't win another SB with us. But to say he is still in his prime is kind-of delusional.

I don't even know if he had a peek. He was good year one. They opened the offense after that and he put up good numbers but I feel like he never really grew or matured as a QB.

lloydroid
01-19-2013, 04:09 PM

Let's see..just for fun

Steelers get

CB Patrick Peterson

No way, not if Barkley becomes our QB. We could mire and spin our wheels for 10-20 years like we did after Bradshaw. I'd love Peterson, no question. But I have zero faith that Barkley is going to be even a decent NFL QB, not to mention a franchise QB. He is Colt McCoy and Matt Leinart rolled into one QB.

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2013, 04:11 PM
No way, not if Barkley becomes our QB. We could mire and spin our wheels for 10-20 years like we did after Bradshaw. I'd love Peterson, no question. But I have zero faith that Barkley is going to be even a decent NFL QB, not to mention a franchise QB. He is Colt McCoy and Matt Leinart rolled into one QB.

I agree, I would not want Barkley as our QB...

legend of polamalu
01-19-2013, 06:49 PM

Cam, RG 3 and Luck arn't franchise qb's just yet. I am assuming this is whom you are referring to...

Win a SB or two then the talks begin.

Dee Dub
01-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Cam, RG 3 and Luck arn't franchise qb's just yet. I am assuming this is whom you are referring to...

Win a SB or two then the talks begin.

Well by your definition, Dan Marino was never a franchise QB.

A franchise QB is one that you build your franchise around. An elite QB.

Andrew Luck
RGIII
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Aaron Rodgers
Eli Manning
Phillip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Schaub

...have all come into the NFL in the past 10 years...so again..I hardly think it is a 20 year waiting period anymore.

calmkiller
01-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Barkley isn't even the best QB in the draft. Let alone a first rounder. I like the idea of the trade, but not the selections.

Dee Dub
01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Barkley isn't even the best QB in the draft.

Agreed.

Let alone a first rounder.

Disagree. Highly disagree.

SS Laser
01-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Ok figured a "better" QB to get then Moore. Not sure what it would take. Maybe Alex Smith could run Haleys offense good enough with this Ben to AZ trade to take us to the superbowl?

pfelix73
01-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Hell No... This is a terrible idea!

feltdizz
01-20-2013, 09:55 AM
I think Ben deserves a year or 2 in Haleys offense with a healthy Decastro, healthy RB and a #1 WR who isnt holdint out or disgruntled and unfocused before we run him out of town. If Arians tried to make this trade and Ben wanted out I wouldnt fight to keep him.

DBR96A
01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
I've been a fan of the Steelers since 1993. I repeatedly had my heart ripped out of my chest and stomped on by a string of mediocre QBs. I'm insulted that anybody would even consider this scenario plausible. People really don't know what they have until it's gone, apparently. Talk about taking a franchise QB for granted. This is embarrassing.

feltdizz
01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
I've been a fan of the Steelers since 1993. I repeatedly had my heart ripped out of my chest and stomped on by a string of mediocre QBs. I'm insulted that anybody would even consider this scenario plausible. People really don't know what they have until it's gone, apparently. Talk about taking a franchise QB for granted. This is embarrassing.

When is the last time a team dealt a QB with 2 rings and 3 SB appearances in his early 30's? Never.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Joe Montana, possibly the best QB ever, got traded.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/21/sports/pro-football-chiefs-and-49ers-come-to-terms-on-montana-trade-at-last.html

DBR96A
01-20-2013, 05:38 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/21/sports/pro-football-chiefs-and-49ers-come-to-terms-on-montana-trade-at-last.html

That's because a) he was past his prime, and b) the 49ers had Steve Young on the bench.

feltdizz
01-20-2013, 05:43 PM

Totally different... Joe asked to be traded and he lost his job to Young due to medical reasons.

If Ben demanded a trade I would do it if presented with dubs scenario but there is no way I trade Ben for those guys and a draft pick of Barkley.

feltdizz
01-20-2013, 05:48 PM
That's because a) he was past his prime, and b) the 49ers had Steve Young on the bench.

Young wasnt even on the bench... he had an MVP season under his belt when Joe got injured. If we had Matt Barkley as a back up and he tore up the league in Bens absense I would trade him too if he was disgruntled.

SS Laser
01-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Do you really want a QB even as good as Ben IF he is not happy here and would like to be with his fav coach in AZ? I want to see all our favorite Steelers retire a Steeler. But sometimes the player is unhappy here like Mike. And maybe Ben. It could really be time to hit the reset button and why not do it IF you can get a kings ransom for that player?

Chadman
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Ok, it's not GOING to happen, but IF it did...

Chadman wouldn't draft a 1st Round QB- he'd take Tennessee's Tyler Bray in the 2nd though. And as for which QB Chadman would target to start next season- given that they'll be running the Haley-dinky-dunky.. Alex Smith from the 49ers would be perfect, thanks.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2013, 06:31 PM
I just brought up Montana cause dizz said its never happened. Montana wasn't in his early 30's at that point, but I also don't see Ben playing into his late 30's.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-20-2013, 06:54 PM

Let's see..just for fun

Steelers get

CB Patrick Peterson

No... hope that helps