PDA

View Full Version : You still want this fraud?

lloydroid
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/17/16564736-9-baffling-questions-in-the-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax?lite

His story is all over the place. Dad claimed they met, that he visited her in HI. Then Te'o says it was all a hoax and she never existed. Huh? He never saw her in person or on line, but he loved her? ND says they believe his story 100% after an investigation. She supposed almost died in a car crash but he didn't visit her. She supposedly got cancer, and he didn't visit her. She supposedly died and he didn't go to her funeral. But he loved her. OK, there.

Who still wants Pgh to draft this guy in the 1st round?

And he refused to play in Sr Bowl, as someone else noted.

steelz09
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Sounds a bit naive to me...

If he knew and he "played this game" for media attention and that is truly pathetic and I wouldn't want to draft him.

If he honestly didn't know that this was a hoax, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him at #17 even though I was HIGHLY critical of his play against Alabama.

Slapstick
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Sounds a bit naive to me...

If he knew and he "played this game" for media attention and that is truly pathetic and I wouldn't want to draft him.

If he honestly didn't know that this was a hoax, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him at #17 even though I was HIGHLY critical of his play against Alabama.

The naivete does not surprise me...

I knew kids in college who grew up on the Virgin Islands and they were very, very sheltered...throw in a strict mormon upbringing, and...

feltdizz
01-17-2013, 03:58 PM
but people who do this don't tell NBC, SI, ESPN and anyone who asked how great this chick is... and if he is that naive who the hell would want him on their team? Instead of gearing up for Alabama and the Senior Bowl he was online chatting with his bro-love.

People who have online loves don't talk like they are in love with this great person and then circle back to not meeting them and those who do are batsh!t crazy

..and one more thing. I've heard so many people saying this story put him in the Heisman race and some are saying they wouldn't have voted for him if it wasn't for this story. So is this kid really that good or was it another Brady Quinn ND love fest?

It's a shame that other LB's with no tragedy or real tragedies were ignored or glossed over for awards because of an off the field fantasy.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't think naivete is the likely explanation - it wouldn't explain why he wouldn't make at least a quick visit to his sick girlfriend as she lay dying of cancer? Hitting the playbook too hard to take time off? Did he ask his coach for permission to leave campus for a quick visit?

I think intentional deception on his part is more likely, based on what I've heard/read to date. If I were GM, I wouldn't go near him unless a satisfactory alternative explanation is confirmed.

feltdizz
01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
It could be naive i the beginning or his friend playing a little joke that got out of hand... but here is the thing I don't get. How does it go from love of my life, I can't describe her (well, that makes sense)... she is perfect, blah blah... on and on but once exposed it's "I never met her"

Looking at the interviews now he was pretty robotic but at the time you think it's shock.. but he kept it up and even talked about her in December AFTER going to ND to tell them he was tricked.

This is so freaking crazy

lloydroid
01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
I don't think naivete is the likely explanation - it wouldn't explain why he wouldn't make at least a quick visit to his sick girlfriend as she lay dying of cancer? Hitting the playbook too hard to take time off? Did he ask his coach for permission to leave campus for a quick visit?

I think intentional deception on his part is more likely, based on what I've heard/read to date. If I were GM, I wouldn't go near him unless a satisfactory alternative explanation is confirmed.

Thank you SASF. I think, if you just look into it on a cursory fashion, it becomes obvious that the only hoax here is the one he is trying to sell the media and public about a fake girl. His dad already said that Te'o and this girl met twice. Obviously, that is not true. And then ND sent in a private investigative team....and they conclusively determined Te'o had been hoaxed.....me think the lady doth protest too much.

The real question is why would this kid feel the need to invent such a story? I don't think it was for the Heisman; I think it is for hiding another thing all together.

Shawn
01-17-2013, 05:33 PM
How many T'eo threads do we really need?

williar
01-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Story does sound like something from the twilight-zone, for sure... I would still draft Te'o in a heartbeat if he is the BPA.. I love this kid's tenacity and intensity. As bad as we need a playmaker on defense to light a fire under this team? Call me naive, but I still think this is a good, wholesome kid, who like many college-aged kids, just got caught up in some mess! I think I'd rather deal with this issue, rather than some jail-bird, substance abuser, type.

lloydroid
01-17-2013, 07:34 PM
What's the most glaring need on this team? Defense? As the #1 D in the league? Or, how about the 26th rated rushing attack? We don't need a MLB as much as we need players to boost our pathetic rushing game, whether it be in better RBs or O linemen.

flippy
01-17-2013, 08:32 PM
I think he's this draft's version of Larry Foote. I'd keep Foote for another year and see what we have in Spence in 2. I still like Spence better than Teo.

flippy
01-17-2013, 08:40 PM
While I'm not big on Te'o's talent, who cares about the girlfriend hoax? Anyone see the movie Catfish thats now an MTV show? There's loads of people falling for this sort of thing all the time. Te'o's just the most famous person to be catfished so far.

PS. I'd like typing Te'o's. So if we draft him, maybe it won't be so bad.

Shoe
01-17-2013, 09:24 PM
What's the most glaring need on this team? Defense? As the #1 D in the league? Or, how about the 26th rated rushing attack? We don't need a MLB as much as we need players to boost our pathetic rushing game, whether it be in better RBs or O linemen.

It's not that cut/dried, droid. You and I both know the defense has a glaring deficiency: that is, playmaking ability (i.e. creating turnovers). It's not just some little quirk--it's GLARING to anyone who watches the games, and it's bound to only get worse (as key players get a year older, with no reinforcements in the wings).

OTOH, our run game will have a healthy DeCastro, and possibly two young tackles (if they can develop and stay healthy) next season.

squidkid
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
While I'm not big on Te'o's talent, who cares about the girlfriend hoax? Anyone see the movie Catfish thats now an MTV show? There's loads of people falling for this sort of thing all the time. Te'o's just the most famous person to be catfished so far.

PS. I'd like typing Te'o's. So if we draft him, maybe it won't be so bad.

the problem is Teo was part of the scam. THAT is some weird sh!t.

SteelBucks
01-17-2013, 09:58 PM
I think he's this draft's version of Larry Foote. I'd keep Foote for another year and see what we have in Spence in 2. I still like Spence better than Teo.

I must be getting old. I completely forgot about Spence....

LordVile
01-18-2013, 01:55 AM

i'm with you here. this guy is a FRAUD.. he says he she came to hawaii and they met.. and now he never met her??

OLINE is what we need, indeed. so i'm down for WARMACK, Guard in the first and keep Foster as the swing man for him and DeCastro.. that line would truly be beast like with protection for BB and to open holes for that putrid run game..

fezziwig
01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't know who said what or what the truth is and I don't care. At this point I wouldn't want the kid on the team because of the drama, the focus will aways be there with some people. There should be enough quality guys that, the Steeler no longer need to roll the dice with some of these guys with troubled past. I just don't mean this ND kid either.

pfelix73
01-18-2013, 12:43 PM
As long as there's no criminal investigation on the matter, yes, I would still continue to consider drafting him. I can just see Baltimore or NE getting him at the bottom of the draft because everyone else passes, and this guy turns into another Ray Lewis. doh... Could slide like Dan Marino once did..

Slapstick
01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
As long as there's no criminal investigation on the matter, yes, I would still continue to consider drafting him. I can just see Baltimore or NE getting him at the bottom of the draft because everyone else passes, and this guy turns into another Ray Lewis. doh... Could slide like Dan Marino once did..

Our own QB was alleged to have done much worse...

flippy
01-18-2013, 01:22 PM

The conspiracy theorist in my wondered if Belichick orchestrated this whole thing to get him to drop in the draft. I also remember Herschel Walker had some multiple personality disorder that he admitted to after his playing days. And that didn't stop him from being a great player.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
I think I am leaning toward trying to trade pick 17 to Miami for their two second rounders, and a 4 rounder.

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2013, 12:19 AM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

The media that overhyped Teo for Heisman is now blaming Teo for fabricating the reason for their idiotic overhype? OK. Got it.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2013, 12:37 AM
The conspiracy theorist in my wondered if Belichick orchestrated this whole thing to get him to drop in the draft. I also remember Herschel Walker had some multiple personality disorder that he admitted to after his playing days. And that didn't stop him from being a great player.

Every one of his personalities was able to run 4.3 in the 40. ;)

SteelerOfDeVille
01-20-2013, 05:52 PM
The real question is why would this kid feel the need to invent such a story? I don't think it was for the Heisman; I think it is for hiding another thing all together.
Ding, ding, we have a winner!!

I'd be curious what would happen if he came out - how NFL teams would handle it. If he'd be drafted at all.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Nowhere near Foote, IMO. Foote's problem coming out of the draft (and today) is he was smallish and slowish. He could easily be engulfed at the point of attack. Teo is considered a "thumper", which Foote never was. Teo is more Kendrell Bell than anything else (hopefully, minus the hammy problems).

Teo's big problem in the championship is he spent his time guessing (and guessing wrong). He was in the backfield A LOT, running right past the play. Like a LB should, he would find the hole and run through it to meet the RB - except, the RB would run though another hole entirely. IMO, his poor play was part "instinct" and part poor d-line play. I think he actually needed to slow himself a step and read before reacting. He wanted to meet in the backfield when instead he should have accepted meeting them for a 2-yard gain...

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2013, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him. The whole catfish thing doesn't bother me as I don't think he was involved.

Chadman
01-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Here's betting he's one of the most heavily interviewed guys at the Combine..

Ok.... as a player, if he was there at #17 & he was the best on the board... sure, Chadman would be happy if the Steelers took him. As a distraction off the field to a team that needs to focus much more on the field... nah, Chadman would pass on him.

However he interviews will be crucial. The Steelers have a track record of going on 'gut feel' for character concerning players- Mike Adams is a great example. If the Steelers take him in the 1st, he'll have had to have been impressive.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-20-2013, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him. The whole catfish thing doesn't bother me as I don't think he was involved.
Based on the info, I don't see how he couldn't have been.
Who has a "girlfriend" they've never met? That they're madly in love with? Don't get me wrong, I get internet dating and the catfish thing - but, until you've met... And if he thought she died, why didn't he try to attend the funeral? And why'd he said he had? And..And...

Even if he wasn't aware inititally, he was absolutely involved in keeping it going AFTER he knew the truth. He said he knew on Dec 6, but, was shown on TV talking about it on Dec 8...

feltdizz
01-20-2013, 06:33 PM
He embellished their relationship... a lot. Then he continues the lies after he knew she was fake. Another problem is the twitter message he received with the apology was a new account and you have to follow a person for them to DM you... so he was in contact eith this guy before the apology was sent. Too many holes in his story... but the good thing for him is our short attention span.

As far as his instincts on the field are just like they are off it. He guesses wrong a lot... and who knows if he can tackle NFL talent. He should play on the Senior Bowl after the debacle in the BCS game.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Based on the info, I don't see how he couldn't have been.
Who has a "girlfriend" they've never met? That they're madly in love with? Don't get me wrong, I get internet dating and the catfish thing - but, until you've met... And if he thought she died, why didn't he try to attend the funeral? And why'd he said he had? And..And...

Even if he wasn't aware inititally, he was absolutely involved in keeping it going AFTER he knew the truth. He said he knew on Dec 6, but, was shown on TV talking about it on Dec 8...

He didn't attend the funeral because the hoaxers said her family didn't want him there. He is a college athlete with no money and a poor family. Plane tickets are not cheap.

feltdizz
01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
He didn't attend the funeral because the hoaxers said her family didn't want him there. He is a college athlete with no money and a poor family. Plane tickets are not cheap.

Honestly.. if you were in college and your soulmate had a car accident, a coma, luekemia and a bone marrow transplant all within 2 months i think you would find a way. He also didnt visit the gravesite while out at USC...

I know people want to believe him but you have to work real hard to do it. I'm sure there was a player or 2 who would have helped him get there but some of them are saying they had their doubts when they pressed him for details.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-20-2013, 06:58 PM
I've got a bridge to sell ya.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Honestly.. if you were in college and your soulmate had a car accident, a coma, luekemia and a bone marrow transplant all within 2 months i think you would find a way. He also didnt visit the gravesite while out at USC...

I know people want to believe him but you have to work real hard to do it. I'm sure there was a player or 2 who would have helped him get there but some of them are saying they had their doubts when they pressed him for details.
EXACTLY... At a minimum, wouldn't he get funeral info/address and send flowers?

SteelCrazy
01-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Seriously? Who cares? I guess the whole football community in America, but I dont see the big deal, at all. He had an internet girlfriend that turned out to be 2 guys and a girl and there's a chance he's part of the hoax, so what. What's his 40 time?

Chadman
01-20-2013, 07:14 PM
So long as he doesn't come across as a raving looney in his interviews, someone will take him early.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Seriously? Who cares? I guess the whole football community in America, but I dont see the big deal, at all. He had an internet girlfriend that turned out to be 2 guys and a girl and there's a chance he's part of the hoax, so what. What's his 40 time?
The question is WHY the hoax? The answer may well influence whether he's worth taking...

feltdizz
01-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Everyone cares... some Heisman voters are furious because they voted for him partly because this story pulled at their hearts. He is a good LB but would he have won these awards without the story? Maybe, maybe not... and the last game along with this story makes you wonder how good he really is... sure he had numbers but look at the schedule. Someone will take him... he isnt a scrub but I wouldnt be surprised if he is out of the league in 3 years. Yep, I said it... and I said the same thing about Tebow. Great story... great character and off field love but when you peel it all away I think most NFL teams will avoid the spectacle if the on field play doesnt live up to the hype.

feltdizz
01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
...and I know Tebow is still in the league but most want him for the side show not as a QB.

steelz09
01-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Everyone cares... some Heisman voters are furious because they voted for him partly because this story pulled at their hearts. He is a good LB but would he have won these awards without the story? Maybe, maybe not... and the last game along with this story makes you wonder how good he really is... sure he had numbers but look at the schedule. Someone will take him... he isnt a scrub but I wouldnt be surprised if he is out of the league in 3 years. Yep, I said it... and I said the same thing about Tebow. Great story... great character and off field love but when you peel it all away I think most NFL teams will avoid the spectacle if the on field play doesnt live up to the hype.

These voters should be removed then... the fact that they allowed a players personal life impact their vote is wrong. These voters have no one to blame but themselves.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
If a writer voted for him cause his chick died, they should lose their vote.

feltdizz
01-20-2013, 08:09 PM
I agree 100% about the Heisman voters... unfortunately this is what hype does in todays sports. Lets be honest... SI, ESPN, etc. They didnt fqct check or dig when he was telling this embellished story. I remember when the story broke on yahoo... they didnt say it was the love of his life, it was a little vague about the extent of the relationship and I had the impression it was a close female friend. As time when on she turned into a soulmate..

Whether we want to admit it or not... media hype influences voters.

Sugar
01-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Whether we want to admit it or not... media hype influences voters.

That's probably why presidential campaigns are looking at Billion dollar budgets.

Shoe
01-20-2013, 10:03 PM

Are you serious dude? A guy who MAKES UP a NATIONAL lie, and runs with it for four months? How do you live with yourself every day? How do you live a lie TO THE WHOLE WORLD, for four months? The guy is demented in some way. It's like people who kill, and try and act like nothing the next day. How do you do that, on a day-by-day basis? You don't think that effects your job performance? Your dealings with other people. Communication is so important in sports. If I had a lie of that proportion, I certainly wouldn't be openly communicating with folks, for fear of being caught.

Chadman
01-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Are you serious dude? A guy who MAKES UP a NATIONAL lie, and runs with it for four months? How do you live with yourself every day? How do you live a lie TO THE WHOLE WORLD, for four months? The guy is demented in some way. It's like people who kill, and try and act like nothing the next day. How do you do that, on a day-by-day basis? You don't think that effects your job performance? Your dealings with other people. Communication is so important in sports. If I had a lie of that proportion, I certainly wouldn't be openly communicating with folks, for fear of being caught.

Ask Lance Armstrong- he's good at lying to everyone for years... Te'o has a lot to do to catch up.. :)

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Ask Lance Armstrong- he's good at lying to everyone for years... Te'o has a lot to do to catch up.. :)

What's worse, Lance Armstrong ruining the movie Dodgeball or O.J. Simpson ruining the Naked Gun movies?

fordfixer
01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
What's worse, Lance Armstrong ruining the movie Dodgeball or O.J. Simpson ruining the Naked Gun movies?
Never saw Dodgeball so I'm going to go with O.J. ruining Naked Gun

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Never saw Dodgeball so I'm going to go with O.J. ruining Naked Gun

Lance Armstrong: Could I get a bottle of water. - - Hey, aren't you Peter La Fleur?

Peter La Fleur: Lance Armstrong!

Lance Armstrong: Yeah, that's me. But I'm a big fan of yours.

Peter La Fleur: Really?

Lance Armstrong: Yeah, I've been watching the dodgeball tournament on the Ocho. ESPN 8. I just can't get enough of it. But, good luck in the tournament. I'm really pulling for you against those jerks from Globo Gym. I think you better hurry up or you're gonna be late.

Peter La Fleur: Uh, actually I decided to quit... Lance.

Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking about quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer, all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and I won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying from that's keeping you from the finals?

Peter La Fleur: Right now it feels a little bit like... shame.

Lance Armstrong: Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever.

http://parodyreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Lance-Armstrong-Dodgeball.jpg

Slapstick
01-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Until Te'o starts mercilessly suing people for telling the truth and ruining them, Armstrong is much worse...a special kind of evil...

feltdizz
01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Until Te'o starts mercilessly suing people for telling the truth and ruining them, Armstrong is much worse...a special kind of evil...

Of course Armstrong is worse... " I called her crazy and delusional but I didn't call her fat!" WTF?

Armstrong waited 7 years to tell the truth and threatened people with a bullet to the head, suing them, ruining their lives and blacklisting people from the sport.

Te'o's story is just crazy.. it isn't evil, but it's bat@#$! crazy.