PDA

View Full Version : The biggest need in the upcoming draft is....

Mister Pittsburgh
01-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Would like to try and run this poll for a while, then put the biggest need position as the first round, then run a poll for second biggest need, until we fill out the 7 rounds.
Please vote for you first round position.....!!!

I know you don't draft for need before the board genius tries to educate me, just interested in how we view our needs ranked out like a draft.....

raycafan
01-17-2013, 12:40 AM
A playmaker Running Back

Mister Pittsburgh
01-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Keep voting Gents. Would like a nice sample size.

grotonsteel
01-17-2013, 12:58 AM
If Haley is going with his dink and dunk offense then Steelers need a WR who is not afraid to get hit..beat press coverage and get open for a change.

Current WR corp can't catch..fumble..and can't beat press coverage..

Dee Dub
01-17-2013, 01:01 AM
How can we vote when we don't even know what is going to happen in free agency? Dont you think that may play a big role in that?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-17-2013, 01:11 AM
How can we vote when we don't even know what is going to happen in free agency? Dont you think that may play a big role in that?

Your feelings, right now, biggest need on the team. Don't overthink it.

DBR96A
01-17-2013, 01:47 AM
OLB. The defense doesn't work without a consistent pass rush.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Looking like OLB or WR so far. Lots of views but only 11 votes...get your opinion out there!

Shawn
01-17-2013, 09:48 AM
ILB and i don't believe it to be close. We don't have a reasonable starter unless you count Foote.

papillon
01-17-2013, 09:54 AM

I was with you Dee, but then I just took things as they are right now and assumed this team would be able to stay together and what position would benefit them the most. I chose DT (NT) to replace Casey. Obviously, if they were to cut and not resign Harrison or part ways with Woodley, OLB would move up the board, RB is already a need (assuming Mendy isn't in the plans based on Colbert's comments), but an RB doesn't impact the game the way they used to, etc.

Like the OP says, don't over think it.

Pappy

Shawn
01-17-2013, 10:06 AM

Quit being the voice of reason. Why don't you spit in our Cheerios as well? :)

Oviedo
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
The spread of the results in this poll are insightful and show that this team has many needs that need to be fixed. Let's face it, we are entering a rebuilding phase.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Basing it on:
Who I think will be terminated or not retained...
Who will be locked up long term...
Who will be tendered...
Who I think the Steelers have confidence in that will move into new roles...
How I think the 1st round of the draft will unfold...
Need versus grade @ #17...
I would say WR could make the most sense. I just hope they could trade back and get another pick to fill more needs.
If stuck @ #17...Take the highest rated player on the board on defense.

Shawn
01-17-2013, 10:46 AM
The spread of the results in this poll are insightful and show that this team has many needs that need to be fixed. Let's face it, we are entering a rebuilding phase.

As long as we have a healthy Ben, we will be competitive. So, I disagree about "rebuilding". The Steelers have needs all over the map but we have quality starters in almost every position except RB, and ILB. It's about healthy. A healthy Steeler team, is a Super Bowl caliber team.

ikestops85
01-17-2013, 11:32 AM
I based my vote on if the roster stays the same. In other words, if we don't lose Lewis, Starks, Foster, or anybody else to Free Agency and we don't sign any FAs. I would have like to have Tight End as a choice instead of just Wide Receiver.

steelz09
01-17-2013, 11:34 AM
I picked FS. Interesting results thus far.

A lot of different opinions on this compared to years past.

bowldog
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
1st Pick - OLB. We need to get pressure on the qb to create more turnovers. Pick up 2nd tier free agent for ILB.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks for playing along guys. I know that obviously free agency will play a big part in what we need....but if you have to take that into account then whats the point of doing mock drafts or any other discussion on who we should be after or how to best make our team better...which would make the offseason boring LOL.

The results of this do show, as mentioned, that we have plenty of needs!

papillon
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks for playing along guys. I know that obviously free agency will play a big part in what we need....but if you have to take that into account then whats the point of doing mock drafts or any other discussion on who we should be after or how to best make our team better...which would make the offseason boring LOL.

The results of this do show, as mentioned, that we have plenty of needs!

Well, it shows that us armchair GMs believe there a lot of different needs. It will be interesting to see where the professionals go this year as compared to us know-it-alls. :D

Pappy

phillyesq
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
For me, the biggest need is to find an elite player. The Steelers rarely pick as high as #17 and this gives them an opportunity to find somebody who could be a difference maker. I'm not too worried about the side of the ball or position as long as the Steelers find a guy who has to be accounted for (or, in the case of a lineman, a dominant force).

NW Steeler
01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
There are obviously a lot of possibilities. Could be anything from a TE or WR to OLB, ILB, NT or S. I dont think we could be upset with a pick at any of those positions.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Well, it shows that us armchair GMs believe there a lot of different needs. It will be interesting to see where the professionals go this year as compared to us know-it-alls. :D

Pappy

Absolutely will be interesting to see what they view as needs vs. what we view as needs. I'll keep this poll open until Saturday so keep on voting if you haven't yet!

squidkid
01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
i chose rb only because i think that is the one position that would be givien a legit chance to start from day one and be an impact

lloydroid
01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
There are obviously a lot of possibilities. Could be anything from a TE or WR to OLB, ILB, NT or S. I dont think we could be upset with a pick at any of those positions.

Take BPA other than a QB, OC and....that's about it. Take the biggest difference maker other than those two spots. I would probably be a little slow to go DE as well. We aren't stacked there but we have greater needs.

Sugar
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
I based my vote on if the roster stays the same. In other words, if we don't lose Lewis, Starks, Foster, or anybody else to Free Agency and we don't sign any FAs. I would have like to have Tight End as a choice instead of just Wide Receiver.

I was thinking TE as well, but it isn't a choice.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Take BPA other than a QB, OC and....that's about it. Take the biggest difference maker other than those two spots. I would probably be a little slow to go DE as well. We aren't stacked there but we have greater needs.

This isn't about who you think we will draft....its about what position on the team you feel we are weakest at or what one position you feel needs the biggest upgrade at over the others.

flippy
01-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I always look a bit more broadly. Here's my priorities and I think they're almost identical to last year.

1. Whatever player helps us pressure the opposing QB. That could be a monster OLB, a NT, a DB. There's lots of ways to skin the cat. But we need a difference maker. We've got 2.5 difference makers on D - Troy, Deebo, and Timmy. The first 2 are old and unhealthy. We need another superstar. Could be a JPP, Ngata, Aldon Smith, Willis, Revis, etc. Just get me the best guy you can find.

2. Someone that can help Ben score points. That can be a TE, OLine, WR, RB, whatever. I've wanted a second TE long before 2 guys were en vogue because I think they're the most valuable player on O besides the QB. But again, there's a lot of ways to skin this. Ben's always asked for a big WR and we've never gotten him one. I do think we've got issues with our WRs that have hurt Ben's ability to bring us back in games. Since we trade Holmes and Ward has declined, Ben hasn't really had that true go to guy. I think it cost us a SuperBowl. Maybe even more. We also have to keep Ben clean. Not sure if that's players, coaching, or Ben. I would focus on fixing the Red Zone O. And the rest should fall into place.

supersteeler
01-19-2013, 09:45 PM
This Poll outside of ours reflects what our poll is saying.

Poll
Which position will the Steelers select in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft?
18%
Strong Safety (30 votes)

34%
Right Outside Linebacker (55 votes)

13%
Nose Tackle (21 votes)

6%
Left Guard (11 votes)

18%
Running Back (30 votes)

3%
Wide Receiver (5 votes)

3%
Defensive End (6 votes)

158 total votes

Heck with the Polls I want Warmack!!:Agree :Steel

pittpete
01-20-2013, 12:06 AM
OLB. The defense doesn't work without a consistent pass rush.
thats what i voted

Chucktownsteeler
01-20-2013, 09:24 AM
ILB, RB, OLB, S, in that order

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
OLB it is...with ILB and WR tied for second biggest need. Strange to see CB, S, OL so far down on the list. I also wonder if we had much better DL play would our current OLB, when healthy, look much better?

SteelerOfDeVille
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
ilb and i don't believe it to be close. We don't have a reasonable starter unless you count foote.
exactly!!!