PDA

View Full Version : Scared of being exposed? Manti Te'o declines to play in the Senior Bowl

BigRob
01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Wow, an ILB is declining to play in the Senior Bowl. No desire to show he compares to other pro prospects over a week? Bad agent advice.

That's pretty weak sauce to me.

Senior Bowl ‏@seniorbowl (https://twitter.com/seniorbowl) @allensullivans (https://twitter.com/allensullivans) @seniorbowl (https://twitter.com/seniorbowl) Manti Te'o declined his invitation to participate.

Shawn
01-16-2013, 03:07 PM
If I were Te'o and had a showing like that against Alabama...and it was truly a fluke...I would be itching to get on the field to show people it was a fluke...a bad game...whatever.

I hope the Steelers stay far away from this guy.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
crazy story on deadspin about teos girlfriend that passed away being a hoax. wonder if there is any relation.

supersteeler
01-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Even the good players have a bad game, but his game against Alabama was worse than bad, he got diced sliced and pancaked.
His stock fell considerably, I pass if I'm the Steelers.

ROLROC
01-16-2013, 06:08 PM
crazy story on deadspin about teos girlfriend that passed away being a hoax. wonder if there is any relation.
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

Eddie Spaghetti
01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
thans for posting. wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole if true.

kindlecatsb'ng
01-16-2013, 06:58 PM
93.7 the Fan just had the guy from Deadspin on talking about this.

The story gets more weird.

Snatch98
01-16-2013, 07:08 PM
thans for posting. wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole if true.

I just wouldn't draft him in the first round, I'd still draft him. It's a crazy ass story but I imagine more information will shake out at the combine etc.

feltdizz
01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Something stinks and I think NBC, ND and Te'o (if that is his real name) have some explaining to do. So much for character

Eddie Spaghetti
01-16-2013, 07:13 PM
agree felt. For someone who has been hyped up to be a great leader around here, this has to stop all of that talk.

pfelix73
01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
You all are crazy. I'd take him in a second. Kiper has him (granted its just Kiper) going to Buffalo at #8. Or if his stock slips more at the combine, then the Steelers are in the conversation in picking him.... He mentioned Baltimore would love to jump up to take him so he can replace Lewis.

BigRob
01-16-2013, 07:18 PM
You all are crazy. I'd take him in a second. Kiper has him (granted its just Kiper) going to Buffalo at #8. Or if his stock slips more at the combine, then the Steelers are in the conversation in picking him.... He mentioned Baltimore would love to jump up to take him so he can replace Lewis.

He's nothing like Ray Lewis. He's a taller version of Lofa Tatupu.

I'll take Minter or Ogletree over him. Minter is a leader and has held up in the SEC. Ogletree is a freak of nature.

Scew Te'o if this crap about his girlfriend is true.

pfelix73
01-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Well, we're all entitled to our opinions... However, I think you are wrong.... He's all over the field when he plays... He sticks out in games more so than any other LB I've seen in college in years... His body of work this year is greater than just one game....

Let's also remember that Lewis was picked like 26th in round 1. So, there was some reluctance there on 25 other teams to pick him, and look where he is today... Again, the draft is a crap shoot, but seeing Te'o play this fall, he does stand out when he plays..

Snatch98
01-16-2013, 07:33 PM

I agree. I don't see how this hurts the guys ability to lead. If anything it just says he's fvcking weird.

BigRob
01-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Well, we're all entitled to our opinions... However, I think you are wrong.... He's all over the field when he plays... He sticks out in games more so than any other LB I've seen in college in years... His body of work this year is greater than just one game....

Let's also remember that Lewis was picked like 26th in round 1. So, there was some reluctance there on 25 other teams to pick him, and look where he is today... Again, the draft is a crap shoot, but seeing Te'o play this fall, he does stand out when he plays..

Completely disagree. There is nothing that stands out about his skills or abilities to place him above Minter or Ogletree. His character is now very much in question.

feltdizz
01-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Watching ESPN right now... this makes so many people look so bad. He says it was a hoax but if you found out in December why are we just finding out about it from deadspin.

BigRob
01-16-2013, 07:51 PM
I agree. I don't see how this hurts the guys ability to lead. If anything it just says he's fvcking weird.

If it comes out he knew about this....it doesn't hurt his ability to lead? He would have zero credibility. None.

pfelix73
01-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Well, I would agree, that IF this story gets wierder as the weeks/ months go on, the Steelers, I doubt, would want that kind of distraction on the team. This alone COULD hurt his chances for a lot of teams.... Just totally bizarre story..... January is too early to be talking about these mocks, but I know we're all bored w/ football right now....

feltdizz
01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
He stood out because NBC was on his nuts because he had 2 deaths in a week... i watch ND all the time to cheer against him and he didnt stand out until the Yahoo story. He wasnt a beast until they got a great DL and the d was the weakness the last 3 years.

Feaux girlfriend aside... look at the teams they played this year. Most underacheived...

feltdizz
01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Well, I would agree, that IF this story gets wierder as the weeks/ months go on, the Steelers, I doubt, would want that kind of distraction on the team. This alone COULD hurt his chances for a lot of teams.... Just totally bizarre story..... January is too early to be talking about these mocks, but I know we're all bored w/ football right now....

Its weird enough already No photos, no death certificate... i know people get duped all the time on the web but how do you let the media run with your girlfriends death and you never met her? That is a big azzz red flag IMO.

..and he isnt playing in the senior bowl after a pitiful last game? Dude is trying to hide...

Shoe
01-16-2013, 08:24 PM

So let's get this straight: You (and snatch98) don't think LYING to the world (don't buy all this nonsense about HIM being a victim of a hoax here) and basically living a lie for four months isn't a character concern that would prevent you from picking him?

That's dumbfounding. I'm no psychologist, but it sounds a lot like sociopathic people I've read or heard about, exploits people's emotions and acting in a way that is devoid of conscience (exploiting the death of his own grandmother) for personal gain.

Dee Dub
01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Its weird enough already No photos, no death certificate... i know people get duped all the time on the web but how do you let the media run with your girlfriends death and you never met her? That is a big azzz red flag IMO.

..and he isnt playing in the senior bowl after a pitiful last game? Dude is trying to hide...

Yeah I'm right there with you felt. That is a major red flag. Everyone knows how I've been all over Te'o but this makes me take huge step back. This is very bizarre.

supersteeler
01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
I don't know if ILB will be high on the Steelers list, we still have spense and a reliable Larry foote. Maybe Foote agrees to a one year contract or something and we keep him.
I have the feeling the Steelers will be looking at other positions before ILB, we'll get an undrafted one like Kenny Demens from Michigan and try to coach him up and groom him.

NorthCoast
01-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Plain and simple he jacked the media.... kinda like what Ben does, only worser.

feltdizz
01-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Yeah I'm right there with you felt. That is a major red flag. Everyone knows how I've been all over Te'o but this makes me take huge step back. This is very bizarre.

I dont blame you... from the sound of it he had to be in on it at some point. Is he gay? Is he a phsycho? Cant see how he and his friend could do this for so long.

Ghost
01-16-2013, 09:36 PM
You are dumber than a box of hammers if you have an "Internet" girlfriend in 2012 that you have never met and she "dies" right before the game she was suppossed to finally meet you and your family. Stay away from this moron.

SteelBucks
01-16-2013, 09:42 PM
I dont blame you... from the sound of it he had to be in on it at some point. Is he gay? Is he a phsycho? Cant see how he and his friend could do this for so long.

IMO, he had to be involved in some way. This story is nuts!!

papillon
01-16-2013, 09:44 PM
You are dumber than a box of hammers if you have an "Internet" girlfriend in 2012 that you have never met and she "dies" right before the game she was suppossed to finally meet you and your family. Stay away from this moron.

My hammers are smart

Pappy

pfelix73
01-16-2013, 09:54 PM
So let's get this straight: You (and snatch98) don't think LYING to the world (don't buy all this nonsense about HIM being a victim of a hoax here) and basically living a lie for four months isn't a character concern that would prevent you from picking him?

That's dumbfounding. I'm no psychologist, but it sounds a lot like sociopathic people I've read or heard about, exploits people's emotions and acting in a way that is devoid of conscience (exploiting the death of his own grandmother) for personal gain.

Shoe- I wrote this based on the Senior Bowl news and not the news on his GF. See my later post inside this thread saying about how wierd this story has gotten. He's a great talent. Some don't think he is- probably just because they are biased towards ND football. However, as I later said, IF this story about his GF continues for weeks/ months this is going to hurt his chances with teams. Why would the Steelers want that as a distraction? I wouldn't want it. However, if this all blows over, why wouldn't you want this guy as a football player on your team? He's a playmaker.

Again, January is just too early to seriously talk the draft, but hey, we're all bored and need something to talk about...

*My initial thoughts on the story is that yea, he is somehow involved and knew about this.. We'll see where it goes.... Some of those reporters sounded to me that they talked to his father, brother, etc last fall and they must have led on that he met her in Hawaii..... ?????? Stay tuned.... lol

Mister Pittsburgh
01-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Maybe he is gay.

Ghost
01-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Before the Bama game I told a good friend I'd love this guy in the black and gold. I understand a bad game but he was absolutely a NON factor in the biggest game of his career. Missed tackles, bad angles, getting trucked. An awful performance. Too much at stake with a 1st round pick to hope it was a fluke. Superior talent crushed him and now he doesn't have the desire to step up and correct that impression (which might be worse). No thanks.

SS Laser
01-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Watch the movie Catfish or the show catfish on MTV. It is mind boggling that people will have a relationships over the internet for very long periods of time. The death thing might have been the first REAL red flag. Did he know? Did Ben have misconduct with women?

feltdizz
01-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Watch the movie Catfish or the show catfish on MTV. It is mind boggling that people will have a relationships over the internet for very long periods of time. The death thing might have been the first REAL red flag. Did he know? Did Ben have misconduct with women?

Read the deadspin article.. someone contacted the guy who directed Catfish and has a show on MTV.

feltdizz
01-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Before the Bama game I told a good friend I'd love this guy in the black and gold. I understand a bad game but he was absolutely a NON factor in the biggest game of his career. Missed tackles, bad angles, getting trucked. An awful performance. Too much at stake with a 1st round pick to hope it was a fluke. Superior talent crushed him and now he doesn't have the desire to step up and correct that impression (which might be worse). No thanks.

Exactly.. how do you refuse to play in the senior bowl after that effort? No thanks... and then you add this crazy ass story to it and its a real concern.

Chadman
01-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Personally, Chadman doesn't particularly 'want' Te'o.... he's not a dominating player in any regard- but very solid.

This story is odd. Something is not right here. Chadman hopes that Te'o is ok & getting the help & guidance he'll need in regard to this. No judgement...if he says he's a victim of a hoax, why not believe it? There are millions of people in the world that want to believe so much that there is someone special for them that their own view gets skewed & they can't see the truth of a situation.

This could be something like that. How do we know that Te'o isn't a gullible person? Or an very insecure person, willing to grab on to any kind of hope?

If it turns out that this is a hoax & Te'o was in on it- no doubt his career will be dogged by it.

feltdizz
01-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Chadman... there are too many documented stories of him meeting her in person. His dad said she would come to visit when he was in Cali or Hawaii. The red flag for me isvthe lack if info from ND, Te'o, etc once they knew in late Dec.

Chadman
01-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Chadman... there are too many documented stories of him meeting her in person. His dad said she would come to visit when he was in Cali or Hawaii. The red flag for me isvthe lack if info from ND, Te'o, etc once they knew in late Dec.

It all seems very strange..

Djfan
01-17-2013, 12:35 AM
Now a LB from Arizona claims to have met her. This is odd. Something stinks.

Shawn
01-17-2013, 09:46 AM

But, did his dad ever see the gf? Sounds like T'eo was involved with some catfisher over the net (which is strange but not horrific). He was likely embarassed by the relationship, made a few things up along the way not knowing he was being dupped.

feltdizz
01-17-2013, 10:17 AM
But, did his dad ever see the gf? Sounds like T'eo was involved with some catfisher over the net (which is strange but not horrific). He was likely embarassed by the relationship, made a few things up along the way not knowing he was being dupped.

The catfisher was HIS friend or boyfriend...

Even if he was duped the fact that he made a few things up along the way is the problem. IMO Notre Dame was in on it too once they found out on Dec. 26th. This story put him on the map and there are too many red flags to think he was tricked for 3 years.

The story about meeting her at Stanford in 2009 after an ND loss and touching her hand that ran in the South Bend Tribune? his male friend was there..
The story of the car accident? His friend was in a car accident

How are all these things happening to an amazing Stanford Alum and there is no record of any of these events or paper trails?

...and once again, how is your friend duping you for so long? I don't buy it at all...

pfelix73
01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Now a LB from Arizona claims to have met her. This is odd. Something stinks.

I saw this too- had the tweet last night on ESPN. Did you catch the guy's name? He was saying that he met this girl way before Te'o even knew who she was..... I wonder if 'she' was some sort of a blow up doll....lol

Edited- ok here is what I found just by googling this:

"To complicate matters further, Arizona Cardinals fullback Reagan Maui’a claims that Lennay Kekua, the name given to Te’o's fake girlfriend, is in fact real. Maui’a spoke to ESPN on Kekua and told them he met her in American Samoa in June 2011. “This was before her and Manti,” Maui’a told ESPN. “I don’t think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on....." From Yardbarker website.

Slapstick
01-17-2013, 10:33 AM
The GF is a beard. Not that there is anything wrong with being gay, but there is a stigma, especially in major college football and in the NFL...

Not to mention an Irish Catholic university like ND...

feltdizz
01-17-2013, 10:45 AM
I saw this too- had the tweet last night on ESPN. Did you catch the guy's name? He was saying that he met this girl way before Te'o even knew who she was..... I wonder if 'she' was some sort of a blow up doll....lol

Edited- ok here is what I found just by googling this:

"To complicate matters further, Arizona Cardinals fullback Reagan Maui’a claims that Lennay Kekua, the name given to Te’o's fake girlfriend, is in fact real. Maui’a spoke to ESPN on Kekua and told them he met her in American Samoa in June 2011. “This was before her and Manti,” Maui’a told ESPN. “I don’t think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on....." From Yardbarker website.

...and to make matters worse the guy said Troy was there on humanitarian work as well at the same time.

Now... Te'o and South Bend said they met in 2009 at Stanford (which is a lie) but how does this guy know she is the same girl if he met her before Te'o was in the picture? Te'o never saw her and the photo's used were of a girl Te'o's friend went to HS with in Cali.

Not trying to bag on Somoans but they tend to like the liquor and they stick together (literally in Te'o's case). I wouldn't be surprised if the guy from AZ was trying to help a brother out of a sticky situation but if I'm his agent or Troy I tell him to STFU and stay away from this story.

feltdizz
01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
The GF is a beard. Not that there is anything wrong with being gay, but there is a stigma, especially in major college football and in the NFL...

Not to mention an Irish Catholic university like ND...

So... be gay.. or be gay in hiding.. or make up a GF to keep other girls off you on campus. But DO NOT...and I repeat DO NOT tell SI, ESPN, NBC, Yahoo and others that she died. That's elementary level lying and I can't believe it worked for so long. I believed it because stupid me thinks the media does this thing called fact checking.

Is it really too hard to say she broke up with him or cheated on him and broke it off? Why she gotta die after Luekemia and a car accident the same week as your grandmother? That's compulsive...

Moral of the story... RESIGN Mendenhall, maybe he is smarter than we thought when it comes to quesitoning the media. LOL

RuthlessBurgher
01-17-2013, 02:44 PM
...and to make matters worse the guy said Troy was there on humanitarian work as well at the same time.

Now... Te'o and South Bend said they met in 2009 at Stanford (which is a lie) but how does this guy know she is the same girl if he met her before Te'o was in the picture? Te'o never saw her and the photo's used were of a girl Te'o's friend went to HS with in Cali.

Not trying to bag on Somoans but they tend to like the liquor and they stick together (literally in Te'o's case). I wouldn't be surprised if the guy from AZ was trying to help a brother out of a sticky situation but if I'm his agent or Troy I tell him to STFU and stay away from this story.

Reagan Maui’a: Troy Polamalu was not involved in Manti Te’o hoax

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 17, 2013, 10:23 AM EST

Reagan Maui’a has some type of involvement in the bizarre hoax surrounding the fake girlfriend of former Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o. Maui’a made that clear when he claimed to have met Lennay Kekua, a person who does not exist.

But Maui’a wants everyone to know that Steelers safety Troy Polamalu had nothing to do with the hoax. And Polamalu wants everyone to know that, too.

Maui’a, a fullback who has bounced around the NFL for six seasons, most recently with the Cardinals, took to Twitter on Thursday morning and wrote that Polamalu never met the person who was posing as “Lennay Kekua,” and that Polamalu had nothing to do with the hoax. Maui’a said Polamalu is “being unfairly dragged into this.”

Troy Polamalu did not meet Lennay or knew of her @ all. He's being unfairly dragged into this & has absolutely no involvement.

— Reagan Maui'a (@Reagan_Mauia45) January 17, 2013

Polamalu re-tweeted that tweet so that his 500,000-plus Twitter followers would see it, so Polamalu was obviously concerned about people thinking he might have some involvement in this bizarre story.

Maui’a also told reporters that if they were planning to call him for a story about the case they shouldn’t bother because he’s done talking about it. For the rest of us, however, this is a bizarre story that is not going away.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/reagan-mauia-troy-polamalu-was-not-involved-in-manti-teo-hoax/

feltdizz
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Maybe Reagan Maui’a was smoking the Maui wowee and thought Troy was Lennay.. long hair, tight build, soft voice? LOL

lloydroid
01-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Yea, there was a hoax all right; Te'o pretending he had a girlfriend who he LOVED and only knew on line. That was the hoax. Why he would do that? We can speculate. But I think most of us are thinking the likely reason why.

BigRob
01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Report: Te’o “loved the attention,” and teammates were suspicious (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/report-teo-loved-the-attention-and-teammates-were-suspicious/) Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/350x-420.jpg?w=250 APWith each passing hour that Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o remains silent regarding the hoax he claims via a written statement was perpetrated on him, the initial impressions formed by members of the public harden.
And even more information is surfacing to persuade those who are undecided to make up their minds.
The latest comes from Bob Holtzman of ESPN, who reported on College Football Live (via Rotoworld.com) that Te’o's teammates at Notre Dame sensed that something was amiss regarding the claims of a girlfriend who died in September.
“I talked to a former Notre Dame teammate of Te’o's today, who told me that most players always thought that this wasn’t really Te’o's girlfriend (http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/23006/nfl-draft-headlines?r=1),” Holtzman said. “And that they always suspected that this didn’t really add up with the story. [The teammate] also told me that Te’o loved the attention and that even though the story may not have been what it seemed to be, that he was more than happy to play along with it.”
This report suggests that, while the relationship may have begun as a hoax, Te’o played along with it, given that it helped create attention and, ultimately, sympathy.
Anyone who is inclined to be sympathetic to Te’o now needs to hear from him, so that they can justify feeling that way. He needs to talk, and he needs to do it as soon as possible.

www.profootballtalk.com

This is going to stick to him big time.

feltdizz
01-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Te'o found out on Dec 6th and told ND it was a hoax... on Dec 8th a reporter asked him what was the toughest thing to overcome this season and he said it wadls the death of his girlfriend. So... after he knew it was a hoax he still used it. Dude is pathelogical.

supersteeler
01-17-2013, 07:18 PM
I think T'eo got addicted to this.....http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3526/3785129674_f01ec4bc76_z.jpg Lol.

eniparadoxgma
01-17-2013, 10:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mEPRQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/42jtb.jpg

and...last but not least:

http://i.imgur.com/4zU0f.jpg

(my apologies, theists)

Chadman
01-17-2013, 10:57 PM
:D Brilliant!

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Friend: Tuiasosopo admitted to hoax

Updated: January 18, 2013
By Shelley Smith | ESPN

Source: Te'o Not First To Be Duped By Tuiasosopo

Shelley Smith reports that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man identified as being behind the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax, has pulled a similar hoax before, according to a source.

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man who has been publicly identified as being behind the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax, called a church friend in early December crying and admitted to duping the Heisman finalist, the friend told "Outside the Lines" Thursday.

The friend, a woman in her mid-20s, agreed to be interviewed under the condition that she not be identified, saying she was fearful for her family's safety because of the overwhelming publicity the story has generated. In the interview, she did allow for her voice to be recorded.

She said Tuiasosopo gave her the tearful confession and account of how he played what he said was at first a game on the unsuspecting Te'o. And, she said, he told her that it wasn't the first time he had done it.

"He (Ronaiah) told me that Manti was not involved at all, he was a victim. ... The girlfriend was a lie, the accident was a lie, the leukemia was a lie," said the woman. "He was crying, he was literally crying, he's like 'I know, I know what I have to do.'

"It's not only Manti, but he was telling me that it's a lot of other people they had done this to."

Notre Dame issued a news release Wednesday after Deadspin.com reported it could find no record of Lennay Kekua, Te'o's supposed girlfriend, existing.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a news conference Wednesday night that coaches were informed by Te'o and his parents on Dec. 26 that Te'o had been the victim of what appeared to be a hoax. Someone using a fictitious name "apparently ingratiated herself" with Te'o, the school said, then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had died of leukemia.

Swarbrick said that the relationship took place online and over the phone. Te'o had described staying on the phone with whom he thought was Kekua for hours each night over many months. Tuiasosopo's friend from church told ESPN that Tuiasosopo admitted to having his female cousin speak to Te'o over the phone.

Te'o told Notre Dame officials that he received a phone call Dec. 6, while in attendance at an ESPN awards show in Orlando, from a number he recognized as having been that he associated with Kekua. The woman on the line during that phone call told Te'o she had to fake her own death in order to elude drug dealers, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reports, citing a source close to Te'o's family. The woman then tried to restart her relationship with Te'o.

Te'o asked for a photo with a date stamp to verify her identity, the paper reports, but wasn't convinced and later went to his family and school officials to describe the hoax.

Meanwhile, on Friday, an adviser to Te'o told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap that the linebacker has been huddling Friday morning with family members and a team of advisers, who are trying to determine the best way for him to address the controversy. The adviser, who's been part of the discussions, also said that all of the advisers are thoroughly convinced that Te'o is telling the truth in saying that he was a victim of a hoax.

OTL also interviewed two other people who said they have a cousin who had the same online hoax pulled on them by Tuiasosopo.

ESPN's Shelley Smith talks about a conversation she had with a friend of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo who claims that he has admitted to duping Manti Te'o.

J.R. Vaosa, 28, of Torrance, Calif., and Celeste Tuioti-Mariner, 21, of Whittier, Calif., said that in 2008 their cousin began an online romance with a woman who portrayed herself as a model. Vaosa said the cousin showed Vaosa a picture on MySpace of a woman from a Victoria's Secret catalog that he said was Kekua. Vaosa said that the online Kekua would agree to meet his cousin at certain places. Vaosa said he went with the cousin to meet her.

"When Lennay said she was gonna be at this park one day, we'd go to the park and Ronaiah pops up and then we go to the gym in Orange County where the kids have volleyball tournaments, Ronaiah's there," Vaosa said.

Finally, the family convinced Vaosa's cousin that something wasn't right and he needed to cut things off not only with Kekua, but Tuiasosopo, whom they were convinced was the real Kekua, Tuioti-Mariner said.

"I just knew that my cousin would invite her to certain events and Lennay would always say she would go to those things, but she would never end up going and instead of her going we would see Ronaiah," Tuioti-Mariner said.

Then this fall, Vaosa and Tuioti-Mariner saw the story of Te'o's dying girlfriend.

"When I found out about the Samoan football player (and) his girlfriend, his Grandma died the same day, I was like, 'Whoa this is crazy,' I feel so bad for him, so I just looked him up," Vaosa said. "I found out his girlfriend's name was Lennay Kekua. And right when I read the name Lennay Kekua, I immediately thought of Ronaiah. Then I thought of my cousin -- that this has to be the same person."

The cousins said they were convinced Te'o was being victimized, but they were uncertain of what to do. They said they began tweeting their suspicions. Many of their tweets were laced with sarcasm including claims that they were the real Lennay Kekua. After Deadspin.com broke the story on Te'o and Swarbrick held a news conference, Vaosa and Tuioti-Mariner found reporters at their door and said threats were made to them and their families on Twitter.

Another person involved in the hoax has come forward as well. The woman whose photos were portrayed as Kekua was identified by "Inside Edition" as Diane O'Meara. Her lawyer told the program that her client is also a victim and that her photos were stolen and used to create the illusion of Te'o's girlfriend.

Deadspin.com reported in its original story that the woman whose images were used as Kekua's was actually a former high school classmate of Tuiasosopo and that he used a ruse to get her to send him at least one photo.

Meanwhile, the woman who says Tuiasosopo confessed to her said she has urged Tuiasosopo to take responsibility for his actions.

She said he called her Wednesday as the news of the hoax was breaking. She said he sounded calm but she worries about his guilt over what he did to Te'o and what he did to his family name, one of the most prominent in all of Polynesian sports. She worries what he might do to himself.

"I (still) am worried for him (Ronaiah), not just him and his family but I know that you can't judge people like that and that's why I continue to just encourage (him) to come out and tell the truth," she said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8857057/friend-says-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-confessed-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax