PDA

View Full Version : Colbert (1/16)



phillyesq
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Issued some statements. Bouchette's twitter has them.

Basically, 8-8 team, lots of changes coming. Does not sound like they will use the tag on any of their UFAs. First priority is cap compliance. Will include extensions, terminations and restructures.

Sounds like an upgrade is coming at RB: "Where we were in running game last year was indicative in the talent at the position.''

According to Bouchette, sounds like all the UFAs will have an opportunity to test the market. I wish they'd work on resigning Keenan Lewis as the secondary has finally become a strenght, but no issue with letting the others test the waters.

papillon
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Issued some statements. Bouchette's twitter has them.

Basically, 8-8 team, lots of changes coming. Does not sound like they will use the tag on any of their UFAs. First priority is cap compliance. Will include extensions, terminations and restructures.

Sounds like an upgrade is coming at RB: "Where we were in running game last year was indicative in the talent at the position.''

D@mn those are fairly harsh words directed at the running backs on this team. I don't know where you go from there, you can't release them all, but which of them do you keep if you believe their talent level is that bad?

Interesting stuff right there.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
01-16-2013, 02:59 PM
What RB free agents are out there. Wonder what it would take to trade to Seattle for Robert Turbin. I think that dude is going to be a stud RB in this league when he gets his shot to start.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
D@mn those are fairly harsh words directed at the running backs on this team. I don't know where you go from there, you can't release them all, but which of them do you keep if you believe their talent level is that bad?

Interesting stuff right there.

Pappy
Rainey is gone, and I think Mendy will be, too...that leaves Dwyer, Redman and Batch. You add a top-flight RB, and keep at least two of those three. Batch may not make the cut, or they may decide not to try to re-sign Redman. We shall see.

BigRob
01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
What RB free agents are out there. Wonder what it would take to trade to Seattle for Robert Turbin. I think that dude is going to be a stud RB in this league when he gets his shot to start.

Just not very realistic. Why would they weaken their team to benefit us? Turbin will be a starting caliber RB that can sub in for an injured Beast.

How about Jones-Drew from the Jaguars if he is healthy?

BigRob
01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Issued some statements. Bouchette's twitter has them.

Basically, 8-8 team, lots of changes coming. Does not sound like they will use the tag on any of their UFAs. First priority is cap compliance. Will include extensions, terminations and restructures.

According to Bouchette, sounds like all the UFAs will have an opportunity to test the market. I wish they'd work on resigning Keenan Lewis as the secondary has finally become a strenght, but no issue with letting the others test the waters.

They are going to let Keenan Lewis see what he will get from the market. There are quite a few good Free Agent Corners on the market. They will see what he gets offered.

I think he comes back here if the money is decent for one main reason: Carnell Lake.

I also think they are going to try to get further under the cap than we think to bring a few decent FA's.

NW Steeler
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
It would be nice if they could bring in a ILB to plug into Foote's spot ala Farrior back when he was signed out of nowhere. I dont know who is out there though.

BigRob
01-16-2013, 04:02 PM
It would be nice if they could bring in a ILB to plug into Foote's spot ala Farrior back when he was signed out of nowhere. I dont know who is out there though.

Ahh my friend, I have just the man for you. His name is Larry Grant. He backs up Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis at San Fran. He started three games for Willis last year and excelled at his position in the 3-4.

The good news is he is a URFA and will come at a very reasonable contract. He is an upgrade over Foote in a heartbeat and can play in space.

phillyesq
01-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Full article now available:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/colbert-steelers-roster-could-undergo-big-changes-670606/

flippy
01-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Re: the running backs, Redman is the only one who appears to have any heart. And we really don't know what we have in Batch because he was coming off an ACL to start his career and otherwise seems like a good kid.

Mendy's attitude and Dwyer's conditioning have probably grated on the nerves of the team long enough.

Steelhere10
01-16-2013, 04:19 PM
I like the part when he said they Are not married to anybody. Meaning a lot of the underperformed overpriced players are trade bait.

Sugar
01-16-2013, 04:26 PM
I like the part when he said they Are not married to anybody. Meaning a lot of the underperformed overpriced players are trade bait.

I think this also puts the players and their agents on notice that the Steelers aren't in a mind to dance right now.

kindlecatsb'ng
01-16-2013, 04:39 PM
How much more complicated will this become if Omar Khan (sp?) gets the GM job with the Jets?

Kindle

pittpete
01-16-2013, 04:46 PM
In regards to the RB position, I would love to have Steven Jackson.
He's a bull and has the heart of a lion from whats been said and he wants to win.
Also, would anyone be willing to take a shot with Shonn Greene?
Could we strike gold twice with either of these players like we did with Farrior and Bettis?

Dee Dub
01-16-2013, 04:50 PM
They are going to let Keenan Lewis see what he will get from the market. There are quite a few good Free Agent Corners on the market. They will see what he gets offered.

I think he comes back here if the money is decent for one main reason: Carnell Lake.

I also think they are going to try to get further under the cap than we think to bring a few decent FA's.

If Keenan Lewis hits the open market he will never wear another Steeler uniform again. Some team will throw ridiculous money at him. That is just the way it is. And it sucks because he has started to develop into a solid CB.

squidkid
01-16-2013, 04:55 PM
how dare colbert criticize this team. he must not be a 'real' fan.

papillon
01-16-2013, 04:57 PM
I like the part when he said they Are not married to anybody. Meaning a lot of the underperformed overpriced players are trade bait.

They may not be married to anybody, but I hope they at least bought the engagement ring for Keenan Lewis. :p

Pappy

Dee Dub
01-16-2013, 04:58 PM
They may not be married to anybody, but I hope they at least bought the engagement ring for Keenan Lewis. :p

Pappy

Yeah propose to him at least. :)

7 UP
01-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Just not very realistic. Why would they weaken their team to benefit us? Turbin will be a starting caliber RB that can sub in for an injured Beast.

How about Jones-Drew from the Jaguars if he is healthy?

I would love to have Jones Drew, and I think he would fit in well here. There is no way we would have the cap space to make that happen. Not to mention, it certainly wouldnt be a move the Steelers typically make.

NW Steeler
01-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Probably one semi-surprise cut and hopefully one surprise FA signing in the works this spring, before the draft.

lloydroid
01-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Sounds like an upgrade is coming at RB: "Where we were in running game last year was indicative in the talent at the position.''


Well, did he forget about the part where they need decent O line play to make the rushing game productive? I mean, he is doing this for a living, right? How many times do they try to rush the ball and their is a mass of defenders at the exact point of where they play was designed to go? Did he fail to notice that?

NW Steeler
01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Regardless of our oline play, the RB position needs an infusion of talent.

phillyesq
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Regardless of our oline play, the RB position needs an infusion of talent.

Absolutely. I remember one play in particular where Batch cut the wrong way and got blown up for a loss; had he cut the other way, he had a lot of open space. Just one play, but highlights the need for a RB to make the right decisions. Bad RBs can make the line look worse than it is.

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Ben and Heath are both 30 years old. Ben has 3 years left on his current deal and Heath has 2 years left. Instead of being candidates for restructure (where Ben's $11.2 million base salary for 2013 and Heath's $5.162 million base salary for 2013 is converted to a signing bonus that is spread out evenly over the remaining years of the contract for cap purposes...saving us about $7 million against the cap for Ben and about $2.2 million against the cap for Heath) might they consider extending their contracts outright (essentially the last big deal for each so they can retire as Steelers). They'd get a big money signing bonus now (but spread throughout the life of the entire new long-term deal...not just 2 or 3 years) with a minimal base salary in year 1 to help out our cap immediately. There is some risk involved with Heath since he just blew out his knee, but all indications are that the tears were clean (surgery didn't need to be delayed because of added swelling) and we know that he is a hard worker and dependable guy who has come back from major injury before (we drafted him in the midst of sports hernia rehab).

lloydroid
01-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Regardless of our oline play, the RB position needs an infusion of talent.

I don't disagree, but if we don't fix the OL it won't matter regardless. But, that upgrade could indeed happen if nothing more than our OLmen get healthy and improve from experience and if they wake up and realize they need Starks back.

Starks, Foster, Pouncy, DeCastro, Adams/Gilbert could end up being fairly decent.

BigRob
01-16-2013, 07:06 PM
How much more complicated will this become if Omar Khan (sp?) gets the GM job with the Jets?

Kindle

Khan isn't indispensable. Khan is a good cap guy and has probably learned personnel, but he isn't a devastating loss.

NW Steeler
01-16-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't disagree, but if we don't fix the OL it won't matter regardless. But, that upgrade could indeed happen if nothing more than our OLmen get healthy and improve from experience and if they wake up and realize they need Starks back.

Starks, Foster, Pouncy, DeCastro, Adams/Gilbert could end up being fairly decent.

Well hopefully they keep Starks or Foster, or both. If nothing else just for depth and in case of injury, which seems a forgone conclusion with these guys. But it doesn't sound like Starks or maybe even Foster will be back.

BigRob
01-16-2013, 07:10 PM
If Keenan Lewis hits the open market he will never wear another Steeler uniform again. Some team will throw ridiculous money at him. That is just the way it is. And it sucks because he has started to develop into a solid CB.

Lewis may be the 2nd or 3rd corner in free agency. There will be a couple of studs available in Asomugha and Gamble (Carolina) available due to contract and cap issues.

Asomugha didn't fit into Philly's system. He's still a really good cover guy.

Lewis is more Tracey Porter than Brandon Carr. He will not command the same dollars.

More than likely with Lewis it means that he is seeking a huge deal and the Steelers told him to go ahead and shop in free agency to see if he coudl get it.

I could see Baltimore or Cinci going after Lewis.

NW Steeler
01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
If the Steelers let Lewis walk, they almost HAVE to sign a replacement in FA, don't they?

BigRob
01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
If the Steelers let Lewis walk, they almost HAVE to sign a replacement in FA, don't they?

If that happened it would be Taylor/Allen starting and I believe they would take a CB in the first round of the draft.

NorthCoast
01-16-2013, 09:31 PM
D@mn those are fairly harsh words directed at the running backs on this team. I don't know where you go from there, you can't release them all, but which of them do you keep if you believe their talent level is that bad?

Interesting stuff right there.

Pappy

The Steelers RBs were a relative bargain. Sum total they contributed to about 25% of the offensive yardage, but accounted for only about 5% of the total salary cap. You could almost say the Steelers got their money's worth.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Just not very realistic. Why would they weaken their team to benefit us? Turbin will be a starting caliber RB that can sub in for an injured Beast.

How about Jones-Drew from the Jaguars if he is healthy?

Draft picks....trade a backup at one position where the starter is a very good player to gain a draft pick to address a real weakness. Was just an idea. I think we can get a good RB in the mid rounds if we pick the right one.

supersteeler
01-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Looks like the Steelers are going to clean house on the deadwood and underperforming players. Like they said 8-8 is unacceptable so why should they keep the same players.
The only question I would have is why would they let a consistent player like Starks leave when they were having issues with the offensive line?
I could see Foster and Colon leaving but they are making a mistake letting Starks go.

We could get by maybe, but what if the line hits the injury bug again? I guess they are going to draft some more linemen, I really don't know but it makes no sense to weaken that line and hope everything will work out without Starks.

Chadman
01-16-2013, 11:51 PM
The only question I would have is why would they let a consistent player like Starks leave when they were having issues with the offensive line?


2 words- Salary Cap.

The Steelers are supposedly $16m over the cap right now- not even factoring in the $7m it will take to keep the RFA's & ERFA's. $23m.....

Who is more important- Keenan Lewis or Max Starks? That'll likely be the question the Steelers face.

Oviedo
01-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Khan isn't indispensable. Khan is a good cap guy and has probably learned personnel, but he isn't a devastating loss.

Khan got us into the salary cap mess we are in now. Not saying he was incompetent but his following oreders to hold together a fading defense and retain defensive players who are underperforming has created a mess for us.

I love that Colbert has put everyone on notice because this is the year to "blow it up" and take two years to get a roster that can make a nice three year run to close out Ben's career.

papillon
01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Khan got us into the salary cap mess we are in now. Not saying he was incompetent but his following oreders to hold together a fading defense and retain defensive players who are underperforming has created a mess for us.

I love that Colbert has put everyone on notice because this is the year to "blow it up" and take two years to get a roster that can make a nice three year run to close out Ben's career.

I wouldn't blame Khan exclusively, it's my feeling that Art II, Colbert, Khan and Tomlin sat down and asked themselves can we make a run with Ben, Troy, Harrison, Taylor, Clark and Woodley as the core and if we believe we can how do we make that happen. They made it happen, unfortunately, injuries to every one of them over the past two years derailed the plan and now the Steelers are in cap Hades and are going to have to make some tough, but necessary decisions.

One of them is one that I hate to see, but probably necessary, and that is Harrison, this guy is a mean SOB and brought attitude and 110% effort every down he was on the field, regardless of health. It's tough to cut a guy like that, but they probably have to.

Pappy

Shawn
01-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Letting Lewis go would be just plain ignorant. Ike is not a spring chicken and we need to keep an eye toward the future. I hope we keep Foster as well.

Oviedo
01-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Letting Lewis go would be just plain ignorant. Ike is not a spring chicken and we need to keep an eye toward the future. I hope we keep Foster as well.

Yes to Lewis. Prefer keeping Starks over Foster, but if Foster is the only consolation prize then we need to keep so we don't weaken our OL too much.

Shawn
01-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Yes to Lewis. Prefer keeping Starks over Foster, but if Foster is the only consolation prize then we need to keep so we don't weaken our OL too much. Agree, forgot about Starks...would love to keep him as well.

NW Steeler
01-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Yes to Lewis. Prefer keeping Starks over Foster, but if Foster is the only consolation prize then we need to keep so we don't weaken our OL too much.

Absolutely. Lewis should be a priority and I dont know why they are so eager to get rid of Starks. I think we may see a surprise cut ala Kirkland way back when.

steelz09
01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
What about Chris Ivory from the Saints? He's a RFA that is underutilized and has played very well with limited opportunities.

He's basically #4 on the Saints depth chart but was bumped up due to injuries. The Saints are loaded at RB with Sproles, Ingram, Pierre Thomas (extended contract last year), and Chris Ivory.

This would be a very good signing.

Slapstick
01-17-2013, 02:21 PM
What about Chris Ivory from the Saints? He's a RFA that is underutilized and has played very well with limited opportunities.

He's basically #4 on the Saints depth chart but was bumped up due to injuries. The Saints are loaded at RB with Sproles, Ingram, Pierre Thomas (extended contract last year), and Chris Ivory.

This would be a very good signing.

Ivory was an UDFA...he'll be tendered some kind of offer, but will not require draft pick compensation unless they give him a high tender...

Will they do so considering that they gave him only 40 carries this year?

steelz09
01-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't know what the tender is but I think the Steelers should take a very close look at him. I would look at replacing Mendenhall with Ivory. I think he is starter material. Ivory was opening up some eyes when he got the opportunity to play. They were even talking about Ivory getting bumped up the depth chart at the expense of Ingram's carries.

Slapstick
01-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't know what the tender is but I think the Steelers should take a very close look at him. I would look at replacing Mendenhall with Ivory. I think he is starter material. Ivory was opening up some eyes when he got the opportunity to play. They were even talking about Ivory getting bumped up the depth chart at the expense of Ingram's carries.

True, but that didn't happen...

The Steelers need to get cap compliant first...then, I'd love to see them get a couple of young, cheap free agents was something to prove...give them incentive laden contracts and put them on the field...

Chris Ivory for one and Ramses Barden for another...

steelz09
01-17-2013, 03:33 PM
True, but that didn't happen...



It didn't happen because #1 Sproles got healthy. No matter what, you can't take Sproles out of the NO lineup especially with his big play ability in the passing game.

#2 - Ingram started playing because he knew his job was in jeopardy.

That's good for the Steelers. If he took Ingram's job and Ivory continued his success, we likely couldn't afford him right now. Now, he should be affordable and is a good fit for the Steelers IMO.

Slapstick
01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
It didn't happen because #1 Sproles got healthy. No matter what, you can't take Sproles out of the NO lineup especially with his big play ability in the passing game.

#2 - Ingram started playing because he knew his job was in jeopardy.

That's good for the Steelers. If he took Ingram's job and Ivory continued his success, we likely couldn't afford him right now. Now, he should be affordable and is a good fit for the Steelers IMO.

Hell, I'd even give up a 3rd or 4th day draft pick for him...

BigRob
01-17-2013, 04:37 PM
I like Ivory a lot. He runs like he's on fire and can protect the QB in pass pro.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-17-2013, 05:31 PM
ivory does run hard. I would like this move too.

Chadman
01-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Ivory looks like a good player- but don't the Steelers already have 2 Chris Ivory's on the roster in Dwyer & Redman?

They play to similarly for Chadman.

We need a Sproles more than an Ivory. There is no Steeler RB that can beat the defense to the edge with speed. The Steelers lack speed, particularly when you take Rainey, Mendenhall & wallace off the roster.

They can do 3 yard runs already. We need someone that can spring a 50+ yard run.

Chadman
01-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Just to clarify- Chadman is aware that Sproles is not a FA, not suggesting the Steelers get Darren Sproles specifically- more that type of RB.

NW Steeler
01-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Ivory looks like a good player- but don't the Steelers already have 2 Chris Ivory's on the roster in Dwyer & Redman?

They play to similarly for Chadman.

We need a Sproles more than an Ivory. There is no Steeler RB that can beat the defense to the edge with speed. The Steelers lack speed, particularly when you take Rainey, Mendenhall & wallace off the roster.

They can do 3 yard runs already. We need someone that can spring a 50+ yard run.

I was thinking the same thing. Ivory seems like the same type of player as Redman. We need a more dynamic athlete at that position.

BigRob
01-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Ivory looks like a good player- but don't the Steelers already have 2 Chris Ivory's on the roster in Dwyer & Redman?

They play to similarly for Chadman.

We need a Sproles more than an Ivory. There is no Steeler RB that can beat the defense to the edge with speed. The Steelers lack speed, particularly when you take Rainey, Mendenhall & wallace off the roster.

They can do 3 yard runs already. We need someone that can spring a 50+ yard run.

I disagree. Take a look at this. Ivory has never average less than 4.7 yards per carry. As you can see by his stats, he has broken 50 yard runs before and has proven he can stay in condition.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/24400/index.html

Compare this to Dwyer: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/24164/index.html (Dwyer has one run of 76 in 2011, but this is the first year he got over 20 carries. He can't condition himself properly)

And to Redman: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/9674/index.htm (His longest run is 28 yards).

Add all this up and Ivory is an upgrade over Redman and Dwyer. Dude runs hard and he would likely be a pretty cheap FA acquisition. I also believe that the Saints have a salary cap issue this year.

Chadman
01-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I disagree. Take a look at this. Ivory has never average less than 4.7 yards per carry. As you can see by his stats, he has broken 50 yard runs before and has proven he can stay in condition.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/24400/index.html

Compare this to Dwyer: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/24164/index.html (Dwyer has one run of 76 in 2011, but this is the first year he got over 20 carries. He can't condition himself properly)

And to Redman: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/9674/index.htm (His longest run is 28 yards).

Add all this up and Ivory is an upgrade over Redman and Dwyer. Dude runs hard and he would likely be a pretty cheap FA acquisition. I also believe that the Saints have a salary cap issue this year.

Well, yeah... but the Saints Offense is wide open, not even close to resembling a run-up-the-middle staple of running plays. Ivory is still a between the tackles pounder- which is pretty much what Redman & Dwyer are.

Redman's greatest 'big plays' have come from spread formations.

Ivory might well be a better RB than both Redman & Dwyer, but if you already have the between the tackles RB on the roster, or in this case, 2 of them...why add a 3rd?

That RB from the Florida Gators- Mike Gillislee- now THAT is the type of RB that the Steelers could use- equally effective between & outside the tackles, excellent pass catcher & pass blocker..would instantly be the 3rd down RB in Chadman's opinion.

Steelers could pick him up around the 3rd according to most 'mock draft' websites.

Chadman
01-17-2013, 08:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKExSPzw2I

Here's a bit of what ya need. :)

By the way- anyone know who #73 for the Gators is? The LT? That dude can block.

BigRob
01-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Ivory might well be a better RB than both Redman & Dwyer, but if you already have the between the tackles RB on the roster, or in this case, 2 of them...why add a 3rd?

That RB from the Florida Gators- Mike Gillislee- now THAT is the type of RB that the Steelers could use- equally effective between & outside the tackles, excellent pass catcher & pass blocker..would instantly be the 3rd down RB in Chadman's opinion.

Steelers could pick him up around the 3rd according to most 'mock draft' websites.

Who says Redman and Dwyer are going to be on the team? I would replace both of them with Ivory in a heart beat. Pick-up Gillislee, whom I like a lot as well, and you have a very good veteran to go with a potentially exciting rookie. BAM! Done.

Chadman
01-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Who says Redman and Dwyer are going to be on the team? I would replace both of them with Ivory in a heart beat. Pick-up Gillislee, whom I like a lot as well, and you have a very good veteran to go with a potentially exciting rookie. BAM! Done.

Well, if the Steelers go that route, fair enough. Doubt they'll remove both Dwyer & Redman from the ranks, but if they did- then sign Ivory up right away.

BigRob
01-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Well, if the Steelers go that route, fair enough. Doubt they'll remove both Dwyer & Redman from the ranks, but if they did- then sign Ivory up right away.

I think they will tender Redman and let Dwyer and Mendy go. Ivory is a better version of Redman.

steelz09
01-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Ivory is better than a healthy Mendenhall, a conditioned Dwyer and a healthy Redman.

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Big changes afoot for Steelers?

January 16th, 2013
By Dejan Kovacevic

Just met with Kevin Colbert, the Steelers’ GM, at the team headquarters on the South Side, along with a handful of other reporters.

Our Alan Robinson has full news coverage, so I’ll just share a few thoughts here …

>> Maybe you had to be in that office, but I didn’t get the sense Colbert was set on status quo heading into this offseason. Far from it, actually.

He’s not the type to divulge details, to put it mildly, but the way he answered a few of the various questions — repeated references to the “61 players we have” not being good enough, quick references to “terminations,” being open to using money from terminations to even (gasp) look at free agency — let’s just say he sounded like he was setting the stage for significant change.

Could be wrong. Just sharing.

>> I asked Colbert about LaMarr Woodley, and he pointed, as others have on the record, to Woodley’s “results” rather than his conditioning.

“I believe the effort was there,” Colbert said.

I also asked if Woodley should or could get lighter, and Colbert responded that he’s “always been a big guy.” So that didn’t get much further.

Colbert also told me, “I’ll bet if you ask LaMarr, he’d be the first to tell you he was disappointed with how his season went.”

Uh, tried that. Didn’t exactly work.

>> Goodbye, Rashard Mendenhall.

Forever.

Let there be no doubt on that one. He burned every bridge there was to burn by not showing up for work that one Sunday.

>> It won’t be goodbye for the rest of the running backs, but I’d rent rather than buy if I’m Jonathan Dwyer and/or Isaac Redman. Colbert tried as hard as he could to steer specific questions into generalities, but he left no doubt who was mostly to blame for the 26th-ranked rushing offense.

“It was indicative of the talent at the position,” Colbert said.

Ouch.

>> I’ve got a slightly different feeling for the disciplinary handlings of Chris Rainey and Alameda Ta’amu than when I walked into that room, but not by much. If Rainey’s act was significant enough to “break the trust,” as Colbert put it, so was Ta’amu’s.

There were repeated references, actually, to “trust” as it relates to Rainey. I’m only guessing here, but if being honest or forthcoming is the tiebreaker here, sorry, but that’s not enough to excuse Ta’amu’s terribly reckless actions.

>> An actual quarterback as a draft pick?

Wow, can’t even picture it. But it’s probably well past time. Ben Roethlisberger will be 31 in two months. Charlie Batch will be 91. Can’t just have a couple of guys holding a clipboard anymore.

>> My thanks to Colbert and the Steelers for the session. It was as candid and forthcoming as is reasonable under the circumstances of running a team, and it was as honest as I’ve come to expect from this team.

I’m tempted to go through my tape and count up how many times Colbert spat out the term “8-8″ in this 34-minute session. Had to be close to 50. No kidding.

These guys get sickened by losing.

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2013/01/16/big-changes-afoot-for-steelers/

LordVile
01-18-2013, 04:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKExSPzw2I

Here's a bit of what ya need. :)

By the way- anyone know who #73 for the Gators is? The LT? That dude can block.

i think they said NIXON, in the clip.. hell yeah.. he was throwing dudes around.. i like him too.

Slapstick
01-18-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKExSPzw2I

Here's a bit of what ya need. :)

By the way- anyone know who #73 for the Gators is? The LT? That dude can block.

I'll see your clip and raise you:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1404859-chris-ivory-goes-beastmode-on-56-yard-touchdown-run-vs-falcons

steelz09
01-18-2013, 10:56 AM
I'll see your clip and raise you:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1404859-chris-ivory-goes-beastmode-on-56-yard-touchdown-run-vs-falcons

That's what I'm talking about. He's a guy with a good combination of speed and power. The Steelers would be dumb not to take a serious look at him.

He should be affordable.

He's young.

He's seen some playing time and has played very well but he's buried on a depth chart that already has 3 very good RBs (Sproles, Ingram, Thomas).

He runs with a purpose and can run inside and outside the tackles.

papillon
01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
I'll see your clip and raise you:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1404859-chris-ivory-goes-beastmode-on-56-yard-touchdown-run-vs-falcons

That kid seemed to have good vision in the hole and was decisive with his cuts. There were a lot of nice runs in that clip even the ones that went for short yardage. It seems he'll make a nice pro. What round is he projected to be taken?

Pappy

NW Steeler
01-18-2013, 11:51 AM
The RB's from Rutgers and NC both look pretty good too. Of course Ivory is a stud, he played at Washington State. ;)

supersteeler
01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
The Post Gazette article " shake up of roster coming " has fans questioning who is in this so called shake up, maybe it should be called shake down to see what you have.

I can't see losing Lewis, Starks, Harrison,Foster, Colon, Wallace, Mendy,foote, Hampton, and any others will help us better that 8-8 record Colbert talks about.

We need Lewis and Starks more than the rest, even Foote deserves 1 more year, but how do you unload so many players and expect to be a better team right away? They will have to depend on Worlids replacing Harrison and Woodley having a better year, and that Gilbert, Adams, and Beachum can play well.
Not only that we have to find a back that will improve our run game and hope the o-line can open holes and hold blocks for whoever they draft or bring in. I didn't even mention the punter yet, and who's going to coach our O-line.

Its going to be very interesting to see what transpires over the next several months, the transition is in its second phase lets all hope it is a smooth one, and Colbert doesn't overkill.

NW Steeler
01-18-2013, 12:53 PM
I think there is less than a zero chance that we see wholesale changes on the roster. It's just not the way the Steelers operate.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2013, 12:59 PM
I think 'big' changes for the Steelers will be letting Colon and Hampton go, along with Wallace and Mendenhall in free agency.

Regarding RB's to look at...I think another Saint Rb that would be interesting would be Pierre Thomas.

flippy
01-18-2013, 01:26 PM
I'll see your clip and raise you:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1404859-chris-ivory-goes-beastmode-on-56-yard-touchdown-run-vs-falcons

I'm down with targeting Ivory or Shonn Greene. Both those guys are violent runners which is what we really need.

Oviedo
01-18-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm down with targeting Ivory or Shonn Greene. Both those guys are violent runners which is what we really need.

no thanks on Green

steelz09
01-18-2013, 02:27 PM
I think 'big' changes for the Steelers will be letting Colon and Hampton go, along with Wallace and Mendenhall in free agency.

Regarding RB's to look at...I think another Saint Rb that would be interesting would be Pierre Thomas.

I think he signed a deal in 2011 and it was for 5 years. If I were the Saints GM, I would likely let Thomas walk in favor of Ivory but I don't know if they'll do that. I don't know what the "dead" money would be if they did that.

Ivory is a RFA.

Thomas has been a solid player for the Saints for awhile. He basically started over Reggie Bush. I would take Ivory over Thomas because he's 4 years younger and has a lot less tread on the tires.

Jooser
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Want a fast, shifty change of pace back? Please allow me to suggest the human-highlight reel: Tavon Austin


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw

He played mostly slot receiver at WVU, but could also play RB. He is an awesome return man as well. As you see from the video, his teammates tackle him in the end zone more often than defenders tackle him in the open field. There's fast, then there's Tavon fast. Coach Dana Holgerson says that he has never coached a faster player....ever.

BigRob
01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Want a fast, shifty change of pace back? Please allow me to suggest the human-highlight reel: Tavon Austin


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw

He played mostly slot receiver at WVU, but could also play RB. He is an awesome return man as well. As you see from the video, his teammates tackle him in the end zone more often than defenders tackle him in the open field. There's fast, then there's Tavon fast. Coach Dana Holgerson says that he has never coached a faster player....ever.

He would be a great pick in the second round.

lloydroid
01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/colbert-steelers-roster-could-undergo-big-changes-670606/

Read the tone that KC has; it seems a little angry and quite didactic. Maybe that's what it should be. But the only thing that bothers me (as others have noticed) is that it almost sounds like he isn't faulting himself much, like he is ticked off at the players, not realizing he is the primary person who put those players together. On the other hand, he did note that after a 12-4 season you tend to want to keep things as is, and after 8-8 you'd be crazy not to make changes. I guess, over all, I don't mind his mood and tone. Get it done, Kevie. This team needs more than a tweak. You might want to start by someone letting Bonehead Ben to take things a little more seriously BEFORE the season is ruined.

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
You might want to start by someone letting Bonehead Ben to take things a little more seriously BEFORE the season is ruined.

What are you talking about BEFORE the season gets ruined? The season was ruined the moment "bone-head's" other bones (ribs and shoulder) were hurt. Roethlisberger lead us to a 6-3 record with 17 TD's and only 4 INT's (and only 18 sacks) in those 9 games. He was much more of an efficient QB than in any season under Arians, the offense was hitting its stride, and we had won twice as many games as we lost. Then he got hurt, missed 3 games, and clearly wasn't same when he came back, so everything went to crap with us losing 5 of the next 6 games, elimating us from playoff contention.

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Steelers’ Kevin Colbert: Sometimes you have to draft character risks

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 18, 2013, 2:13 PM EST

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert announced last week that he was cutting running back Chris Rainey, just hours after Rainey was arrested — and just nine months after Colbert drafted Rainey, despite character concerns stemming from Rainey’s college career. But Colbert says that doesn’t make him think he can’t draft another character risk this year.

Colbert told TribLive Radio that the issues with Rainey and with fourth-round pick Alameda Ta‘amu, who was arrested for drunk driving, won’t necessarily stop the Steelers from drafting other players with character red flags.

“Going forward, does that mean that you are not going to look at guys who have risk?” Colbert said. “No, I think that is unrealistic because a lot of the guys in the draft pool do have character challenges. It is up to us to assess that and determine if we want to take the risk. If we do, we have to be ready not only if the player does well but the consequences if it doesn‘t work.”

Colbert said the Steelers have passed on players who have great talent because they didn’t trust those players to keep their noses clean off the field. But he also said that sometimes you have to take risks.

“We do homework on players, and we will reject significant players,” Colbert said. “I am talking about first-round talents that [we] decide we don‘t want to assume the risk if they do have a character issue. But when we do assume the risk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn‘t. Obviously, we had two cases this year that didn‘t work for us and that falls on me because I am the guy who said we can assume this risk.”

And just because the Steelers were burned twice in last year’s draft, that doesn’t mean they’ll only consider choir boys in this year’s draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/steelers-kevin-colbert-sometimes-you-have-to-draft-character-risks/

steelz09
01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Want a fast, shifty change of pace back? Please allow me to suggest the human-highlight reel: Tavon Austin


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw

He played mostly slot receiver at WVU, but could also play RB. He is an awesome return man as well. As you see from the video, his teammates tackle him in the end zone more often than defenders tackle him in the open field. There's fast, then there's Tavon fast. Coach Dana Holgerson says that he has never coached a faster player....ever.

No thank you... I'd rather have Ivory.

That way, we could save the 2nd round (premium) pick and draft a ILB/OLB depending on which of those 3 we drafted in the 1st. HOWEVER, if we do go offense in the 2nd, I'd prefer a WR.

supersteeler
01-18-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't know how a player like Tavon would fit into our system @ about 175 lbs he would get crushed. Rainey was fast too and that didn't work out that well outside of returns.
If we draft a back he needs to be a combination of power, speed, and one that can carry the ball 20 times or more a game.
Tavon would be a good addition to a compliment a team that is set with a feature back but we don't have that.

lloydroid
01-18-2013, 06:22 PM
What are you talking about BEFORE the season gets ruined? The season was ruined the moment "bone-head's" other bones (ribs and shoulder) were hurt. Roethlisberger lead us to a 6-3 record with 17 TD's and only 4 INT's (and only 18 sacks) in those 9 games. He was much more of an efficient QB than in any season under Arians, the offense was hitting its stride, and we had won twice as many games as we lost. Then he got hurt, missed 3 games, and clearly wasn't same when he came back, so everything went to crap with us losing 5 of the next 6 games, elimating us from playoff contention.

Do rib injuries effect your vision? Because on those season-ending pics (3 of them) he threw directly into the chest or arms of a defender. It wasn't as if the receiver was open and his injury made the bad throw. It was a case of him just carelessly throwing the ball right up there like a gift. THAT would not be caused from a rib injury. They were just idiotic decisions and careless throws that cost us the post season. How you fail to see that is beyond me.

NJ-STEELER
01-18-2013, 06:57 PM
What are you talking about BEFORE the season gets ruined? The season was ruined the moment "bone-head's" other bones (ribs and shoulder) were hurt. Roethlisberger lead us to a 6-3 record with 17 TD's and only 4 INT's (and only 18 sacks) in those 9 games. He was much more of an efficient QB than in any season under Arians, the offense was hitting its stride, and we had won twice as many games as we lost. Then he got hurt, missed 3 games, and clearly wasn't same when he came back, so everything went to crap with us losing 5 of the next 6 games, elimating us from playoff contention.

why even bother with him

flippy
01-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Steelers’ Kevin Colbert: Sometimes you have to draft character risks

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 18, 2013, 2:13 PM EST

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert announced last week that he was cutting running back Chris Rainey, just hours after Rainey was arrested — and just nine months after Colbert drafted Rainey, despite character concerns stemming from Rainey’s college career. But Colbert says that doesn’t make him think he can’t draft another character risk this year.

Colbert told TribLive Radio that the issues with Rainey and with fourth-round pick Alameda Ta‘amu, who was arrested for drunk driving, won’t necessarily stop the Steelers from drafting other players with character red flags.

“Going forward, does that mean that you are not going to look at guys who have risk?” Colbert said. “No, I think that is unrealistic because a lot of the guys in the draft pool do have character challenges. It is up to us to assess that and determine if we want to take the risk. If we do, we have to be ready not only if the player does well but the consequences if it doesn‘t work.”

Colbert said the Steelers have passed on players who have great talent because they didn’t trust those players to keep their noses clean off the field. But he also said that sometimes you have to take risks.

“We do homework on players, and we will reject significant players,” Colbert said. “I am talking about first-round talents that [we] decide we don‘t want to assume the risk if they do have a character issue. But when we do assume the risk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn‘t. Obviously, we had two cases this year that didn‘t work for us and that falls on me because I am the guy who said we can assume this risk.”

And just because the Steelers were burned twice in last year’s draft, that doesn’t mean they’ll only consider choir boys in this year’s draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/steelers-kevin-colbert-sometimes-you-have-to-draft-character-risks/

We also took Adams and he hasn't done anything wrong off the field.

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=drfUZ fgipEJ5CFt5DuinRc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvMRQhceekCkGd dVYSW9YCOWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert during the predraft press conference on the South Side April 23, 2012

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Friday, January 18, 2013

In a year when fourth-round pick Alameda Ta‘amu was arrested for leading police on a drunken driving chase through the South Side and fifth-round pick Chris Rainey was cut after police charged him with slapping his girlfriend, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said the organization won‘t shy away from players with character issues in the NFL Draft.

Colbert told TribLive Radio on Friday it would be unrealistic to enter the draft process eliminating players who are labeled as having character issues.

“Does that mean that you are not going to look at guys who have risk?” Colbert said. “No, I think that is unrealistic because a lot of the guys in the draft pool do have character challenges. It is up to us to assess that and determine if we want to take the risk. If we do, we have to be ready not only if the player does well but the consequences if it doesn‘t work.”

Colbert disagreed with the perception that the organization‘s decision to release Rainey but keep Ta‘amu was based on talent alone.

“The only thing I can point to is our draft preparations,” Colbert said. “We do homework on players, and we will reject significant players. I am talking about first-round talents that (we) decide we don‘t want to assume the risk if they do have a character issue. But when we do assume the risk, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn‘t. Obviously, we had two cases this year that didn‘t work for us, and that falls on me because I am the guy who said we can assume this risk.”

The Steelers took tackle Mike Adams off their draft board last year after he tested positive for marijuana during the NFL Scouting Combine. However, after Adams made a trip to Pittsburgh to talk to Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin, the Steelers put Adams back on their board, and they ended up drafting him in the second round.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3322006-74/colbert-risk-character#ixzz2IS47y21P

Mister Pittsburgh
01-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Obviously, we had two cases this year that didn‘t work for us, and that falls on me because I am the guy who said we can assume this risk.”
Ta'amu is still a Steeler....

SS Laser
01-19-2013, 05:53 PM
For right now. Depending on the legal stuff, draft, and maybe camp he may not be. Something everyone over looks it seems with the two players who had issues. Everyone has seen a full season of Rainey and it was determined his play was not worth the continued risk. Ben and Harrison both were worth the continued risk with there issues. Ta'amu on the edge right now but as of today is worth the continued risk being a 4th rd pick with upside. Cedrick Wilson the WR that had issues a few years back that again the Steelers had seen enough that he was not worth the issues. Mike Adams is another. I am sure is on a "shorter" rope. Not sure how short depends on how his play on the field grades out and he is a 2nd rd pick. But he needs to keep his nose VERY clean also. It is not that hard to understand I don't think.
Good things Vs Bad things of that player = stay or cut. With the added +/- if others are being problems also. Rainey might have got a 2nd chance with the steelers if Ta'amu had not spilled the milk.