PDA

View Full Version : What happened to defense in the playoffs?

supersteeler
01-13-2013, 11:03 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/scoreboard

By the looks of these scores you better bring an offense for any chance to win.

NJ-STEELER
01-13-2013, 11:23 PM
reason why our draft needs to be offense heavy

costanza2k1
01-13-2013, 11:29 PM
I'm sure the Packers wish they had a D. The Seahawks probably wish they could've stopped Atl from a game winning FG drive and Denver wishing it had better safety play. NO had an awesome offense where are they? The answer is balance between your units I believe.

8467thekraken
01-13-2013, 11:30 PM
This is the new NFL.

Offense only.

And it sucks.

fordfixer
01-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Current rules in the NFL favor the offense. I Hate to say it but there is little need to draft defense in the first few rounds of the draft

skyhawk
01-13-2013, 11:38 PM
It's lookin alot like arena football right now.

NJ-STEELER
01-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Current rules in the NFL favor the offense. I Hate to say it but there is little need to draft defense in the first few rounds of the draft

$$

especially when the unit has been ranked at or near the top of the league for years

fordfixer
01-13-2013, 11:49 PM
$$

especially when the unit has been ranked at or near the top of the league for years
Well there is that:-)

supersteeler
01-13-2013, 11:52 PM
For you guys who are too young to remember, the Steelers first Super Bowl against the Vikings was a classic example of how defense is supposed to be played.

Half Time Score:

STEELERS 2

Vikes 0

Vikings Total yrds. in the game:

Vikes total first downs:

The vikings offense never scored, not even a field goal. They got their score on a blocked punt and scored but failed the extra point.

Final Score:

STEELER 16

VIKES 6

Now thats what I call Defense!

Sword
01-14-2013, 10:20 AM
The days of winning playoffs or Superbowl with a low score is gone..If you cannot score touchdowns then
you better pack your bags..

supersteeler
01-14-2013, 10:33 AM
The days of winning playoffs or Superbowl with a low score is gone..If you cannot score touchdowns then
you better pack your bags..

In this era of the NFL I agree, you need a good offense to get to the SB, but you still need a good defense to win it

pfelix73
01-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Defense still wins Championships.

Oviedo
01-14-2013, 12:11 PM
reason why our draft needs to be offense heavy

Yep. Defense matters less in today's NFL so we need to quit putting the majority of the investment on that side of the ball.

Slapstick
01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Yep. Defense matters less in today's NFL so we need to quit putting the majority of the investment on that side of the ball.

Defense does matter...you can see what a lack of gap integrity did to the Green Bay Packers...you can also see how a lack of sound play by defensive backs ended up costing the Broncos their game...

Oviedo
01-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Defense does matter...you can see what a lack of gap integrity did to the Green Bay Packers...you can also see how a lack of sound play by defensive backs ended up costing the Broncos their game...

Sorry. Every "talking head" on ESPN today has touched on this subject. The universal recognition is that defense means much less now. What is far more important is having a quick strike offense that can keep piling on. Several of the ESPN "experts" cited where when teams went passive to try to perserve a lead that is when they got into trouble--sound familiar.

They said running the ball to consume time doesn't work because the oppoenent can strike too quickly and you can't stop them because of the rules.

What this means to us is that we have to protect Ben at all costs because he is our quick strike. We need to add bodies and improve the offense and it is OK if the defense is just middle of the road as long as we can score. That starts with improving the OL, adding a pass catching TE and another WR. It doesn't start with another Nose Tackle.

IMO the other thing I saw this weekend is you need your DBs to play the ball, not "tackle the catch." Attack the ball and get the turnover.

Slapstick
01-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Sorry. Every "talking head" on ESPN today has touched on this subject. The universal recognition is that defense means much less now. What is far more important is having a quick strike offense that can keep piling on. Several of the ESPN "experts" cited where when teams went passive to try to perserve a lead that is when they got into trouble--sound familiar.

They said running the ball to consume time doesn't work because the oppoenent can strike too quickly and you can't stop them because of the rules.

What this means to us is that we have to protect Ben at all costs because he is our quick strike. We need to add bodies and improve the offense and it is OK if the defense is just middle of the road as long as we can score. That starts with improving the OL, adding a pass catching TE and another WR. It doesn't start with another Nose Tackle.

IMO the other thing I saw this weekend is you need your DBs to play the ball, not "tackle the catch." Attack the ball and get the turnover.

If ESPN says it, then the opposite is probably true...

BTW, if the Broncos DBs were in position to make a tackle, they would be hosting the Patriots on Sunday...

Oviedo
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM

BTW, if the Broncos DBs were in position to make a tackle, they would be hosting the Patriots on Sunday...

Understand it may be hard emotionally for Steelers fans to embrace the notion of "diminished defense" but until we do we won't win another championship. We can't tie up 60%+ of our salary cap on the defensive side of the ball and then complain about the offense not doing good enough. Evolve or die!

Slapstick
01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Understand it may be hard emotionally for Steelers fans to embrace the notion of "diminished defense" but until we do we won't win another championship. We can't tie up 60%+ of our salary cap on the defensive side of the ball and then complain about the offense not doing good enough. Evolve or die!

Emotional nothing...I'm just going by what I saw over the weekend...

Colin Kaepernick is a great athlete, but there is no reason that he should be running for a buck sixty and 2 TDs...unless you are playing undisciplined defense...

The Ravens wide receivers are not particularly scary for the most part, but when you let them get behind you, they will score...

ikestops85
01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
I think what this goes to show us is the Steelers defense is much better than it was given credit for. I mean, look at that Seattle defense, right after the offense scores it lets the Falcons score. I thought it was only the Steelers defense that did that. :roll: Then there is the Denver defense. Twice it let the Ratbirds come from behind in the 4th quarter.

You guys can point to the rankings of those defenses (4th and 2nd respectively) all you want but that doesn't matter. I don't care about rankings ... I just care about turnovers and sacks. Well wait a minute, Denver had 52 sacks on the year and Seattle got 31 turnovers and they both still got torched.

I'm so confused. :confused: What really makes a good defense? Is it turnovers? or yardage? or sacks? or points against? :stirpot

Oviedo
01-14-2013, 06:37 PM
I think what this goes to show us is the Steelers defense is much better than it was given credit for. I mean, look at that Seattle defense, right after the offense scores it lets the Falcons score. I thought it was only the Steelers defense that did that. :roll: Then there is the Denver defense. Twice it let the Ratbirds come from behind in the 4th quarter.

You guys can point to the rankings of those defenses (4th and 2nd respectively) all you want but that doesn't matter. I don't care about rankings ... I just care about turnovers and sacks. Well wait a minute, Denver had 52 sacks on the year and Seattle got 31 turnovers and they both still got torched.

I'm so confused. :confused: What really makes a good defense? Is it turnovers? or yardage? or sacks? or points against? :stirpot

Your confusion confirms that defense doesn't matter because the league has rules in place that allow any offense to overcome a defense, no matter how good.

ikestops85
01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Your confusion confirms that defense doesn't matter because the league has rules in place that allow any offense to overcome a defense, no matter how good.

O, I think we are in agreement on how to improve this team. We need some big uglies on the offensive line that can play together and stay healthy. That will improve the running game, the passing game, and points scored.

Slapstick
01-15-2013, 07:04 AM

...if that defense plays poorly...

Oviedo
01-15-2013, 08:55 AM
...if that defense plays poorly...

The defense will play poorly because the rules will enable the offense to overwhelm them. WRs will have match up advanatages because DBs can't touch them. The OL has an advanatage because holding is not called in passing situations. The league wants 35-31 games and as the play offs show when good teams play each other that is going to be the norm.

Slapstick
01-15-2013, 09:03 AM
The defense will play poorly because the rules will enable the offense to overwhelm them. WRs will have match up advanatages because DBs can't touch them. The OL has an advanatage because holding is not called in passing situations. The league wants 35-31 games and as the play offs show when good teams play each other that is going to be the norm.e

Kaepernick didn't run for 160 yards and two TDs because the rules allowed it...he did it because the Packers played undisciplined defense...

The Ravens didn't come back against the Broncos because of the rules...they came back because the Broncos played poor defense...

Last year, the Broncos didn't beat the Steelers in overtime because of the rules...you know why the Steelers lost...

feltdizz
01-15-2013, 10:05 AM

LOL.. I agree... they love the quick strike O but part of that is due to bad D so it does matter. RANKINGS don't matter on D... you don't have to be the best at everything on D to win in the NFL.

NorthCoast
01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Last I checked, football is played on two sides of the ball. You can't ignore half the game and expect to win consistently. Yeah, maybe if all falls just right a team can grab a title with weakness on one side, but they won't likely get back to the Bowl as a repeat.

feltdizz
01-16-2013, 01:05 AM
Last I checked, football is played on two sides of the ball. You can't ignore half the game and expect to win consistently. Yeah, maybe if all falls just right a team can grab a title with weakness on one side, but they won't likely get back to the Bowl as a repeat.

You could be solid in all three phases and the chances of repeating are slim. I think you can get away with sub par defense if the offense is on fire. Getting TO's and being strong in the red zone trump scoring and yardage rankings on D.

Slapstick
01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
You could be solid in all three phases and the chances of repeating are slim. I think you can get away with sub par defense if the offense is on fire. Getting TO's and being strong in the red zone trump scoring and yardage rankings on D.

Again, I disagree...the deciding scores for San Fran and Baltimore weren't red zone scores...