PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate the HOF QB we have people

Crash
01-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Could be worse, you could have been watching Peyton choke in the playoffs his whole career.

birtikidis
01-12-2013, 11:08 PM
I can't stand manning. He's a great player, and there are attributes of his that I wish Ben had, he's just such an ego maniac.

supersteeler
01-12-2013, 11:10 PM
To win eleven in a row like the Bronco's did and then lose, is a tough pill for that team to swallow.
Peyton is a great QB no question about that, to come back and play as well as he did during the course of the year is amazing, but thats all forgotten when you come up short like they did.

Ben isn't the only QB to throw picks at critical times of the game as you seen, but Manning as great as he is had a habit of doing that in the biggest games.

I wouldn't want to be on a Denver message board right now, they are probably tearing it apart.

Crash
01-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Five years of Aaron Rogers:

No playoffs, 1 and done, SB, 1 and done, 1 and done.

Five years of Ben:

AFCC, SB, no playoffs, 1 and done. SB.

All these QBs are supposedly better than Ben, and yet they don't win enough.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Appreciate the HOF QB we have people Could be worse, you could have been watching Peyton choke in the playoffs his whole career. Peyton chokes again. I find it amusing, Elway couldn't wait to get rid of Tebow and sign Peyton...and Peyton didn't take the Donks any farther than Tebow did!

papillon
01-13-2013, 01:14 AM
I'd appreciate the Steelers HOF quarterback except he hasn't played since 1983.

Pappy

DBR96A
01-13-2013, 02:24 AM
I'd appreciate the Steelers HOF quarterback except he hasn't played since 1983.

Pappy
OK, so Roethlisberger can't be inducted until five years after he retires, sorry.

Crash
01-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Brees is supposedly better too, but yet in 5 of his 11 seasons he's QB'd his team to 8 or MORE losses.

Dome throwing stat whores.

Nothing else.

thor75
01-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Peyton chokes again. I find it amusing, Elway couldn't wait to get rid of Tebow and sign Peyton...and Peyton didn't take the Donks any farther than Tebow did!

Good point, and I wonder if San Fran is happy they didn't get him and chose Colin K in the draft. He had a game and a half today.

Crash
01-13-2013, 04:34 AM
These Bronco fans out here are insufferable. So F them too!

SteelBucks
01-13-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm forever appreciative after the dark days of Stoudt, Malone, Woodley, Bono, Blackledge, Campbell, Brister, Tomczak, Miller, Graham, O'Donnell, Kordell, and Maddox.

(I'm sure I'm forgetting others)

fezziwig
01-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm forever appreciative after the dark days of Stoudt, Malone, Woodley, Bono, Blackledge, Campbell, Brister, Tomczak, Miller, Graham, O'Donnell, Kordell, and Maddox.

I guess you could add Joe Gilliam because they did try an experiment with him over Bradshaw back in the day. Pretty good history lesson you have given me and I've always agreed, Ben is like the second coming ala Super Bowl quarterback for the Steelers. When Bens days are over I hope the Rooneys would have learned by now, you need a great QB to win championships and those great QB's usually are found at drafting them at the number one round.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-13-2013, 02:06 PM
As far as I can tell Rodgers and his O put up 31 last night.....Ben's career is on the downslope.

lloydroid
01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
I can't stand manning. He's a great player, and there are attributes of his that I wish Ben had, he's just such an ego maniac.

Are we talking about the same person? Manning has been nothing but class his entire career, and he has been two 2 SB and won one, not a complete choke. And how many points did he put up yesterday? Well, the returner did help, but still.

lloydroid
01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
As far as I can tell Rodgers and his O put up 31 last night.....Ben's career is on the downslope.

Bonehead Ben has gone from being clutch to being a LOSER down the stretch. He has ever since the loss to GB in the SB.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-13-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm not gonna sit here and call him 'bonehead Ben', and he has never been a QB that is going to put the team on his back. He has always been a QB that needs play action to have the O work. He would not fit in a precision offense.

SteelBucks
01-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Bonehead Ben has gone from being clutch to being a LOSER down the stretch. He has ever since the loss to GB in the SB.

And yet he was in the league MVP conversation before his injury. I'll take this "LOSER" anyday.

papillon
01-13-2013, 03:22 PM
OK, so Roethlisberger can't be inducted until five years after he retires, sorry.

I was just having some fun. He'll be a first ballot.

Pappy

Crash
01-13-2013, 03:26 PM

Actually the Packers defense scored a TD, and the final TD was scored with a minute left in garbage time.

Rodgers doesn't win enough. Until he proves otherwise his SB run was a fluke.

skyhawk
01-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Brees is supposedly better too, but yet in 5 of his 11 seasons he's QB'd his team to 8 or MORE losses.

Dome throwing stat whores.

Nothing else.

But as long as everyone's fantasy football team wins, who cares!

skyhawk
01-13-2013, 11:18 PM

wow. good memory. I remember all of those!

O'Donnell isn't in the same category as those others. Even though he choked in the SB, they don't make it there or to two AFC championships without him.

skyhawk
01-13-2013, 11:18 PM
I was just having some fun. He'll be a first ballot.

Pappy

No he won't. Anti-Steeler bias and his off the field problems will pre empt the first ballot.

skyhawk
01-13-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm not gonna sit here and call him 'bonehead Ben', and he has never been a QB that is going to put the team on his back. He has always been a QB that needs play action to have the O work. He would not fit in a precision offense.

Precision offense? See 2009. Ben threw up some big numbers in a big time precision offense.

DBR96A
01-14-2013, 02:16 AM
But as long as everyone's fantasy football team wins, who cares!
This is exactly why I don't play fantasy football. I hate the way it's distorted people's views of what makes a QB (or any player) great. And I do wonder if the popularity of fantasy football is behind some of the pro-passing game rules that have been made in recent years.

papillon
01-14-2013, 02:24 AM
No he won't. Anti-Steeler bias and his off the field problems will pre empt the first ballot.

By the time he's done his body of work won't leave the voters a choice in my opinion. His off field indiscretions will be distant memories in the same fashion that Ray Lewis' involvement in the Georgia murders have faded. I also believe the Steelers will get one more super Bowl prior to Ben retiring and that will give him three and really seal the deal. There's a lot of years left in his career for fans to enjoy, I hope they do.

Pappy

skyhawk
01-14-2013, 02:41 AM
I am worried his accomplishments ARE on the decline and the super bowls will soon become a distant memory.

ikestops85
01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
I don't know why people get so upset when it is pointed out that Ben has deficiencies. Every QB has them. That includes Montana, Brady, Peyton, Brees, Bart Star, Bradshaw, etc. They all have their own style and way of getting things done. What sets them apart is their teams generally win when these guys are the QB.

Football is a team game and just because you lose doesn't make it the fault of the QB. You look at last year's SB and if Welker hangs on to a very catchable pass the Patriots win. If our defense doesn't play great against a juggernaut Indy offense back in 2005 we don't win the SB that year. That's not to say Ben played bad. He didn't ... he played great but he needed help. It takes talent, team work and some luck to win the SB. All of the QBs I mentioned have talent in abundance. They don't always have the team or the luck to win it all.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Precision offense? See 2009. Ben threw up some big numbers in a big time precision offense.
No, see New England for a precision offense....whatever we ran was not that. When you run basically no timing patterns other then a stay pattern, that is not a precision offense.

NorthCoast
01-14-2013, 08:13 PM
By the time he's done his body of work won't leave the voters a choice in my opinion. His off field indiscretions will be distant memories in the same fashion that Ray Lewis' involvement in the Georgia murders have faded. I also believe the Steelers will get one more super Bowl prior to Ben retiring and that will give him three and really seal the deal. There's a lot of years left in his career for fans to enjoy, I hope they do.

Pappy

The first half of his career Ben certainly was on a tear. But if things don't change for the better, the second half of his career may be spent trying to convince voters of a HOF career rather than giving them a mandate.

lloydroid
01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Could be worse, you could have been watching Peyton choke in the playoffs his whole career.

How does winning a Super Bowl equate to choking?

lloydroid
01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
The first half of his career Ben certainly was on a tear. But if things don't change for the better, the second half of his career may be spent trying to convince voters of a HOF career rather than giving them a mandate.

If he keeps blowing chances to win games to get to the post season, then his legacy will indeed be far lesser than it was after their last SB win. He had the post season gift wrapped for him, with game winning drives at his feet, and he blew both chances with game-losing pics. That's not the stuff of Hall of Fame QBs.

lloydroid
01-14-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't know why people get so upset when it is pointed out that Ben has deficiencies. Every QB has them. That includes Montana, Brady, Peyton, Brees, Bart Star, Bradshaw, etc.

I hardly think Brady's deficiencies rank anywhere on the level as BB's. It's not even close. Brady is a stone cold killer, with killer quick reading of defenses and surgical accuracy. Ben is back there wearing farmer bib jeans, playing intramural sports in the flag frat league with a keg on the sidelines.

Sugar
01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
I hardly think Brady's deficiencies rank anywhere on the level as BB's. It's not even close. Brady is a stone cold killer, with killer quick reading of defenses and surgical accuracy.

On this we can agree. That said, Brady is also one of the top 5 QB's who has ever played in the NFL. He's gonna make Ray Ray cry. A lot.

lloydroid
01-14-2013, 10:02 PM
On this we can agree. That said, Brady is also one of the top 5 QB's who has ever played in the NFL. He's gonna make Ray Ray cry. A lot.

Yea, he will pile up points it would seem. But, the Ravens are playing inspired, no quit ball. I can't believe they found a way to win the Denver game. That was extraordinary. Ravens had the Pats beat last year, with a dropped TD pass for the win, and then a missed chip shot FG for the tie. I definitely am leaning towards NE winning, but you never know for sure.

feltdizz
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Rooting for Bmore... I hate the Pats and all things Boston with a passion. I wish Denver beat the Rats but i cant root for the Pats.

thor75
01-15-2013, 02:24 AM
How does winning a Super Bowl equate to choking?

Just playing devils advocate here, Peyton does have a Super Bowl MVP but he also has 8 playoff - one and done seasons. I think thats double what any other QB has, someone may have 5. He kills it in the regular season but he does have a pretty substandard playoff record.

feltdizz
01-15-2013, 09:52 AM
I bet most QB's (besides Brady) would have subpar playoff records if they made the playoffs EVERY year like Peyton.

papillon
01-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Just playing devils advocate here, Peyton does have a Super Bowl MVP but he also has 8 playoff - one and done seasons. I think thats double what any other QB has, someone may have 5. He kills it in the regular season but he does have a pretty substandard playoff record.

Not to mention that it's easier to have a better record in the playoffs, because if you win you get to play again until you lose. Once you lose you're done, so, you may only get to play one game, you can't accumulate losses in one playoff tournament you can only get one. That means two things, you were good enough to get to the playoffs a lot, but you lost a lot without winning once you were in the tournament.

Pappy

thor75
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Manning's playoff record is 9 wins, 11 losses. Which is a little better than I thought it was.

Captain Lemming
01-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Peyton is a chocker at his core.
Goes back to COLLEGE people.

Lost EVERY BIG GAME at UT, unstoppable otherwise.

People thought he carried UT until Tee stinkin MARTIN took Peytons team to the national championship.

Captain Lemming
01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Peyton is a chocker at his core.
Goes back to COLLEGE people.

Lost EVERY BIG GAME at UT, unstoppable otherwise.

People thought he carried UT until Tee stinkin MARTIN took Peytons team to the national championship.

That said, do we overrate how clutch Ben is?
He choked big time in the first SB. Ben's got 2 rings true but there is no question it was DESPITE Ben we won that 1st SB (he did have a GREAT playoff to get us there).

NOD was GREAT in his SB compared to Ben in his first one.
Had our Seattle been a great team like that Cowboys team we would have gotten smoked.
Were it not for a record run by Willie and the best pass of the day by ARE, we lose EASY.

He was young so he gets a pass.
But can we give him that win to make a case FOR him as being clutch. No, not by a longshot.
You cant say he is clutch because he got 2 rings.

Ben was clutch in one of three SBs. VERY CLUTCH for one drive.

But outside of ONE DRIVE he was outplayed by the opposing QB in all three SBs. One can make the case that Warner was better throughout. Ben just had the ball last with time.

With recent letdowns I no longer consider Ben to be as clutch as I once did.

How many of you were SURE he was gonna get it done against the Packers on the last drive.
I sure was confident.

Ben CAN BE clutch, but I dont expect it, like I used to.

feltdizz
01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
I agree Cap and applaud you quoting yourself so I won't do it...

I'm a big UT fan and went there as a freshman... Manning NEVER beat Florida and this is why I always thought Eli was better because he made more with less at Ole Miss.

Peyton is good but he tends to pass himself out of most playoff games. The one year he won it he had pedestrian numbers and handed the ball off. Probably need to thank the rain and a horrible Chicago offense for that win.

As far as Ben is concerned I agree 100%. In the last SB when we got the ball back I KNEW Ben would lead us down the field... and then poof.. it was over. It almost felt like he ignored Hines on purpose but that's another story. Can't understand how you don't go to the clutch possession WR on that last drive but oh well... I've always said we lucked up and played some stinky teams in SB's and outside of the drive Ben has been uuuugly in the SB. Sure he had 2 or 3 plays but the majority of them were ugly Ben. Looking forward I'm not feeling to good about 4th quarter Ben.

Flacco... yep, I said it, FLACCO.. you better get used to this unibrowed fellow. 7-4 in the playoffs and outplayed Brady last year. If it wasn't for a dropped TD and a missed FG who knows... now this guy is back in ANOTHER freaking AFCCG and pulled off a miracle win with a 70 yard bomb. Is anyone at ESPN or NFLN watching this unibrow? Whether you like him or not... and I don't.. you gotta give the guy props because he is throwing some jewels downfield. If Manning threw that game winning bomb they would have canceled the SB.

Someone said Flacco predicted we would NEVER win the AFC North again as long as he was the QB. I laughed it off... but we haven't won it and the predictions of looking old, done, on the decline by all the "haters" seems to ring true.

A lot of this is frustration for a season lost but you can't tell me you aren't concerned with Ben's play lately. Even with an MVP first half we lost to Oakland and Tennessee. Is Ben our guy... yes he is. Is he Mr. Clutch? Ionno

fezziwig
01-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Cap-Lem, I agree. I'm still glad we have him, I believe he deserves the HOF induction someday but, I'm not going to say Ben isn't without flaws. I'm greatful that he is our quarterback and I'll continue to support him and cheer him on and place my faith in him.