PDA

View Full Version : Torey Smith > Mike Wallace

SidSmythe
01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
After Torey Smith's rookie year I told my RAVEN buddy that Torey Smith would become a better WR than Mike Wallace.
This week I texted him "I told you Torey Smith would be better than Mike Wallace"

He burned Champ Bailey in the 1st Quarter using his deep speed, now he goes up to the highest point and catches a lob over Bailey.

Before we give that girl Wallace big money, lets wait for Torey Smith to hit the market and throw the money at him.

NJ-STEELER
01-12-2013, 07:34 PM
wait 2 years to improve the receiving corps?

SidSmythe
01-12-2013, 08:05 PM
wait 2 years to improve the receiving corps?

Didn't say that. But I'm all for drafting someone this year and then stealing Smith from the Ravens!!

SteelBucks
01-12-2013, 08:06 PM
He's making Flacco look good that's for sure.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Eric Decker is high pointing the ball over DB's & Demarius Thomas is as well. We need at least one big physical WR that can high point a ball and catch the thing with his hands over a DB. Our WR corp is totally unphysical. Anquan Boldin is clutch as well.

supersteeler
01-13-2013, 12:40 AM
I don't believe you have to have big physical receveirs to have success. Remember the Marks brothers? Clayton&Duper from the Dolphins 5-9 and 5-10 also Gary Clark of the Skins. All smurfs by todays standards but its not the size as everyone thinks.
Our receiver corps was pretty good before this season, I think the change in the offense had something to do with their sub-par year. If you want eight yd pass plays bring back Hines, Brown and Wallace are better suited for the longer pass plays.

I do agree we could get better blocking from our receivers something that was missing since Hines retired, then again no one blocked like Hines ward.

Shoe
01-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Why would we want Torrey Smith? Receivers come and go every year... we don't want Raven players coming here, just as much as we don't want Steeler players going over there. It's a rivalry. Swapping guys like it's nothing devalues the whole thing.

Chadman
01-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Steelers can't afford 2 WR's paid to be #1's.

Besides, the Haley offense would waste Torrey Smith as much as it wasted Wallace.

Best off drafting T.O. Part 2- a guy that can go across the middle, then shrug off defenders as best he can to make extra yards. That's our offense now.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-13-2013, 09:50 AM
I don't believe you have to have big physical receveirs to have success. Remember the Marks brothers? Clayton&Duper from the Dolphins 5-9 and 5-10 also Gary Clark of the Skins. All smurfs by todays standards but its not the size as everyone thinks.
Our receiver corps was pretty good before this season, I think the change in the offense had something to do with their sub-par year. If you want eight yd pass plays bring back Hines, Brown and Wallace are better suited for the longer pass plays.

I do agree we could get better blocking from our receivers something that was missing since Hines retired, then again no one blocked like Hines ward.

Yes of course you don't need big WR. For the offense we run a bigger WR would fit better though and bring more to the table then a small non-physical WR brings. With all small WR you should spread teams out. We don't do that. We do the opposite of that.

jj28west
01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Wondering if Bowe was effective in Haley's offense in KC

supersteeler
01-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Yes of course you don't need big WR. For the offense we run a bigger WR would fit better though and bring more to the table then a small non-physical WR brings. With all small WR you should spread teams out. We don't do that. We do the opposite of that.

Exactly, that why I hope the Steelers consider Randy Fitz for OC, he knows how to run that offense and Ben will elevate his play and the receivers as well.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Exactly, that why I hope the Steelers consider Randy Fitz for OC, he knows how to run that offense and Ben will elevate his play and the receivers as well.

If you really think the OC decides the type of offense we run you are wrong.

lloydroid
01-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Eric Decker is high pointing the ball over DB's & Demarius Thomas is as well. We need at least one big physical WR that can high point a ball and catch the thing with his hands over a DB. Our WR corp is totally unphysical. Anquan Boldin is clutch as well.

I thought that was Plex's forte?

SteelBucks
01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I thought that was Plex's forte?

Plax is "big" minus the "physical". I'd like to have him back though for another season.

costanza2k1
01-13-2013, 02:32 PM
I think we need to look for a WR that can catch the ball with his hands not his body, someone who will fight for the ball, someone who will secure the ball after the catch...we're pretty much in back to basics mode. Interesting perspective by Chadman

fordfixer
01-13-2013, 02:48 PM
i think we need to look for a wr that can catch the ball with his hands not his body, someone who will fight for the ball, someone who will secure the ball after the catch...we're pretty much in back to basics mode. Interesting perspective by chadman
x2 ...............

Chadman
01-13-2013, 07:14 PM
I think we need to look for a WR that can catch the ball with his hands not his body, someone who will fight for the ball, someone who will secure the ball after the catch...we're pretty much in back to basics mode. Interesting perspective by Chadman

DaRick Rogers.

;)

hawaiiansteel
01-13-2013, 07:17 PM
DaRick Rogers.

;)

hey, what happened with Schiavone's 2nd start? :(

Chadman
01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
hey, what happened with Schiavone's 2nd start? :(

Blech... had everything go right for her, worked her way through traffic (maybe she can play WR?), then shot forward on the straight....but ran out of steam. Trainer thinks she overworked her through the week, coupled with it being HOT (37 degrees celsius (98.6 fahrenheit), lead to her spluttering down the end. She's close... very close. And good. Just needs to get it right on raceday.

Lots of unhappy people involved!

williar
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
He's making Flacco look good that's for sure.

Flacco throws a great deep ball!! He allows Torey Smith to do what he does best! I'd say their making each other look good....

NJ-STEELER
01-13-2013, 11:24 PM
huh?

do you consider 1 out of 4 a great percentage on deep balls

squidkid
01-13-2013, 11:29 PM
After Torey Smith's rookie year I told my RAVEN buddy that Torey Smith would become a better WR than Mike Wallace.
This week I texted him "I told you Torey Smith would be better than Mike Wallace"

He burned Champ Bailey in the 1st Quarter using his deep speed, now he goes up to the highest point and catches a lob over Bailey.

Before we give that girl Wallace big money, lets wait for Torey Smith to hit the market and throw the money at him.

you could have sent him that text a year and a half ago

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Champ Bailey was atrocious. It was hard to believe that this was a guy who was once considered the best CB in the game. He showed no ball skills on the one deep ball where he was in perfect position then decided to not play the ball, letting Smith make a play on it, and he was burned on at least two other routes that could have resulted in big plays.

Smith could have easily had 200 yards if Flacco had a better day.

supersteeler
01-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Champ bailey's new name in Denver.....Chump bailey!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Champ bailey's new name in Denver.....Chump bailey!

Bailey and the safety that is still backpedalling on the last TD are the main reasons that Baltimore won. Then again, Denver would not have even been in the game without those returns.

DBR96A
01-14-2013, 02:57 AM
Heh, Ben Roethlisberger and Cedrick Wilson made Champ Bailey look like a stooge in the 2005 AFC Championship Game.

Slapstick
01-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Champ Bailey, at this point, is no Ike Taylor...

steelfin
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Champ Bailey, at this point, is no Ike Taylor...

Exactly....just look at Ike in the Denver playoff game last year....