PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: Steelers disciplined? Come again?

hawaiiansteel
01-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Kovacevic: Steelers disciplined? Come again?

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=kfo2c ZA5hSpCqOMvgjs2f8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvIK4MmkIA$dn6 WfhAtChGbWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Pittsburgh Steelers president and co-owner Art Rooney II stands on the sidelines before an NFL football game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals in Pittsburgh, Sunday, Dec 23, 2012.

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Steelers absolutely did the right thing by swiftly dumping rookie running back Chris Rainey upon learning Thursday he was arrested in Gainesville, Fla., and charged with striking a woman police identified as his girlfriend during an argument.

The statement issued by Kevin Colbert spelled it out just right: “Chris Rainey‘s actions this morning were extremely disappointing. Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

Exactly. See ya.

Hooray for all involved in the decision.

But sorry, that‘s as far as I‘ll go. I‘m not about to stand, applaud or blow the vuvuzela for an organization that only the previous day denied — right from the top — that it‘s got broader issues with discipline.

Happen to catch that?

When Art Rooney II was asked Wednesday by the Trib‘s Alan Robinson about the perception of a lack of discipline with the Steelers and whether he had discussed that with Mike Tomlin, Rooney replied: “I didn‘t feel that way. I didn‘t look at the problem this year as being a lack of discipline.”

He then went on to talk about the Steelers‘ poor turnover ratio before coming back to the topic: “I really didn‘t see it as a team that lacked discipline. We‘re looking at everything.”

Really?

When Rooney, Colbert, Tomlin and the Steelers are “looking at everything,” it‘s fair to wonder if they‘re looking at:

• An average of 58.6 yards in penalties per game, ninth-worst in the NFL. That figure was 53.8 in 2011.

• The alarming portion of those that came before the snap. Or on special teams.

• The failure to ensure LaMarr Woodley would be in top shape, not least of which is on Woodley himself.

• The Chargers game. All of it.

• Antonio Brown‘s thought process. All of it.

• Mike Wallace admitting he often loses focus on the field and, far worse, demonstrating that in kind.

• Rashard Mendenhall blowing off work one memorable Sunday, then never having to explain it publicly other than to essentially laugh it off, then still getting back into the running back rotation.

Discipline, lest we forget, begins off the field.

And this is where I really have a hard time digesting that answer Rooney gave.

On Oct. 14, 2012, Alameda Ta‘amu, a nose tackle who was the Steelers‘ fourth-round draft pick last summer, was arrested on charges of leading Pittsburgh police on a chase through the South Side while driving drunk. He crashed into several parked cars, and multiple officers were needed to restrain him. Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.

The Steelers suspended him for two games without pay.

Two.

Ta‘amu is still awaiting a hearing, but that won‘t change that he got two lousy games from the team for a drunken joyride through a densely populated area.

Where was swift justice then?

The fourth-rounder gets a bye, but the fifth-rounder goes bye-bye?

Let‘s not pretend there isn‘t a problem.

For that matter, let‘s not pretend Rainey‘s alleged incident just fell from the sky. In September 2010, while at the University of Florida, he was arrested on a charge of aggravated stalking and misdemeanor stalking. The latter was for texting his girlfriend at the time, “Time to die.”

That‘s a pretty tough stigma to overcome, but it wasn‘t too tough for the Steelers, I guess. They drafted him last summer, risks and all.

Mike Adams, the big tackle taken in the same draft, came with risks, too. He fell to the second round because he‘d tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, of all places.

Now, I don‘t have a problem with this one, based on the passionate accounts of all concerned that Adams made a mistake. We all do, and his was wholly damaging to himself.

But the larger view still applies: These aren‘t gambles the Steelers used to take, at least not this often. And if they take enough of them, they‘re bound to get bitten.

The San Diego Union-Tribune‘s site has a thoroughly depressing but otherwise awesome “NFL Arrests Database,” where you can track dates, players and incidents by team or even by position.

I‘ll save you the trouble: The Bengals have had 38 since 2000, the Steelers 19.

So there‘s that.

Tomlin still talks the talk, and he does it as well as anyone, both with the media and with his men. But there‘s no question things aren‘t the same. Not with all of the above, plus far lesser but still telling stuff such as Maurkice Pouncey hawking T-shirts right after a Super Bowl loss, James Harrison feuding with Roger Goodell, Ryan Clark spouting off on Twitter ...

Let‘s hope the handling of Rainey, if not the assessment of Rooney, represents an acknowledgement of that.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3267533-74/steelers-rooney-discipline#ixzz2HdGRhZ3p

supersteeler
01-11-2013, 06:00 AM
I don't know if this would be brought up if the Steelers had a winning season and in the playoffs. Everything the Steelers organization do will be scrutinized, as well as the players.
If Rainey was our best back, he would still be on the team, thats how the Steelers treat these situations. Their best players get more rope no matter what they are charged with because of the pressure to win. Rainey slapped his girl friend with an open hand and tackled her trying to retrieve his cell phone. Ta'Amu did far worse where a person was injured and several cars were damaged when he was in South Side drunk as a skunk, he could of got killed and police officers as well. What rainey did wasn't right, but the Steelers lack consistency dealing with matters like these, as I said, the good players and big names get more rope.

Rainey made a bad decision, but there is some talent there if he is used properly. My guess is another team may pick him up and give him another chance, if that does happen he better sieze the opportunity.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Another crappy Dejan article. Comes up with an idea for a piece then fails to defend his position. Being 9th in penalties helps defend his position?

Eich
01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Another crappy Dejan article. Comes up with an idea for a piece then fails to defend his position. Being 9th in penalties helps defend his position?

We were ninth-WORSE in penalty yards per game. That means that 23 teams were better than us. That's pretty bad actually.

We weren't ranked nearly as bad in terms of the number of flags thrown per game, which surprises me as it felt like we saw a lot of yellow stuff this past season.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-11-2013, 09:59 AM
At one point about midway through the season, we were leading the league in penalties. I was surprised to hear that we had improved to 9th by season's end. In regard to that improvement, it may have actually helped us that Colon (12 penalties) and Ike (8 penalties) missed the last part of the season with injuries.

feltdizz
01-11-2013, 10:13 AM

what does he need to defend?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
At one point about midway through the season, we were leading the league in penalties. I was surprised to hear that we had improved to 9th by season's end. In regard to that improvement, it may have actually helped us that Colon (12 penalties) and Ike (8 penalties) missed the last part of the season with injuries.

Penalties from DBs did not change after Ike was injured. Scoring went up, but penalties remained.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2013, 11:28 AM
what does he need to defend?
His position that the Steelers are an overly undisciplined team in NFL landscape. The idea that the Steelers were some super disciplined team with high morals is a fairy tale. There have been incidents of questionable characters and actions long before Tomlin. There has been everything from Ernie Mills shooting at Police helicopters, Marvel Smiths two run ins with pot, Bettis getting BJ's at training camp from some chick he met at the local Latrobe bar, Joey Porter being suspended from a game right before it started for fist fighting two Browns on the field, etc, tic, etc....

sorry I misread the 9th worse in penalties thing but Cowher had heavily penalized teams as well.....

Dejan took notice of Mark Madden's success on the radio by trying to be the Howard Stern of Pittsburgh sports radio, and has tried to emulate that in his move to the Trib. Nothing but a pot stirrer.

aggiebones
01-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Agree, crap article.
He's just trying to stir things up for his newspaper. Joke really. If you are marginal and don't cost alot and have a couple strikes against you already legally, you are gone. We don't dump you on goof no.1, ala Taamu still here.
Holmes contract was ending and he was a twaat. So he was dumped. Big Ben, huge financial burden and high end football value, so they fought through things a bit with him, even after second allegation.
If you are marginal and easy to dump, you better stay straight or you will be replaced. Not a surprise. Most teams run this way. A few then collect these bums and try to piece them together. Look for a Bengal signing of Rainey in a week.

Eich
01-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Not trying to defend the article. But my impression of the Steelers THIS past season (and not in comparison to any former Steelers organization) is that it was not very disciplined.

Too many penalties - particulary the STUPID ones
Too many mental mistakes
Too much loss of focus
Erratic time managment
Too many turnovers - one game in particular

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Not trying to defend the article. But my impression of the Steelers THIS past season (and not in comparison to any former Steelers organization) is that it was not very disciplined.

Too many mental mistakes
Too much loss of focus
Erratic time managment

Overall I think the NFL has turned more and more into an entitlement league.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-11-2013, 01:06 PM

Too many mental mistakes
Too much loss of focus
Erratic time managment

Got to agree with this. More than just a few isolated incidences, it was a pattern with this team.

Sugar
01-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Overall I think the NFL has turned more and more into an entitlement league.

It's just more reflective of the culture. Young people the age of most NFL players also seem to have this attitude in great quantities.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Ernie Mills shooting at Police helicopters

For what its worth, that was Ernie Holmes (70's DT), not Ernie Mills (90's WR). Mills was a solid citizen, as far as I can remember.

DBR96A
01-11-2013, 04:17 PM
...it may have actually helped us that Colon (12 penalties) and Ike (8 penalties) missed the last part of the season with injuries.
Ike Taylor had one bad game early in the season with four penalties; otherwise he was fine. As for Willie Colon, I noticed how the offensive line basically stopped committing penalties once he was gone. On the other hand, has anybody else noticed how many penalties our WRs have been getting, including holding? This just proves that Hines Ward was the only WR who knew how to block or stay focused.

feltdizz
01-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Ike Taylor had one bad game early in the season with four penalties; otherwise he was fine. As for Willie Colon, I noticed how the offensive line basically stopped committing penalties once he was gone. On the other hand, has anybody else noticed how many penalties our WRs have been getting, including holding? This just proves that Hines Ward was the only WR who knew how to block or stay focused.

nah... I'm not buying the holding on WR... seems like holding can be called on every play and anytime a WR has a solid block it must be a hold. Holding is the worst penalty in football IMO because it could be called every play and tends to get called at the worst times.

lloydroid
01-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Dejan Kovacevic, kudos to you. Those claiming he had no substance with his assertion that this team lacks discipline must be blind. I have said this all season, for the most part. Tomlin shows up with a big gut, and promptly oversees a team that also lacks discipline across the board. Sloppy, lazy, unfocused = lacks discipline. Dejan is right on the $ here. And it takes balls for any media person in Pgh to tell the truth about the Steelers; they routinely threaten to take away perks from reporters who touch on areas that the Rooneys prefer go ignored. I know this for a FACT. This guy may have just had his tail gate tent tickets (free food and beer), premium parking pass, luxury box tickets etc. revoked. There isn't really a free press in Pgh when it comes to the Steelers.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2013, 05:46 PM
For what its worth, that was Ernie Holmes (70's DT), not Ernie Mills (90's WR). Mills was a solid citizen, as far as I can remember.

LOL. Pardon the error. My mind isn't clear as I have been laying on the couch all day home from work sick.

Crash
01-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Yeah DK's on thin ice. Art's probably arranging the cement shoes as I type this.

lloydroid
01-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Oh, and besides being sloppy with idiotic penalties, other signs of lack of team discipline:

- Our star OLB shows up sloppy, fat, pudgy which leads to him playing like crap and getting hurt. That's not a lack of discipline? And what's Tomlin do about it? Not a damn thing.

- Our star receiver hold out for all of camp and preseason and then shows up to promptly drop passes, shows no interest in putting forth any effort and has a bad attitude all season. What's the coach do? Not a damn thing.

- Our star QB just carelessly wings passes all over the place, tossing game-losing pics more than once. When the season was to be made or broken, with the play off on the line, he loses BOTH games (Dallas and Cinci) with game-losing interceptions to end the game. No excuse for the utter sloppy and bonehead play; a bright and shinning example of lacking discipline.

- Our star running back is sloppy in carrying the ball and then pouts when he is told he would not be dressing and proceeds to not show up for work on game day (even though he wasn't playing).

- Some of our O linemen were just vastly overweight. No discipline.

- Our #2 WR couldn't bother to bend over and fall on a ball in the endzone, just giving up 5 points as if it was meaningless.

Steelerphile
01-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Oh, and besides being sloppy with idiotic penalties, other signs of lack of team discipline:

- Our star OLB shows up sloppy, fat, pudgy which leads to him playing like crap and getting hurt. That's not a lack of discipline? And what's Tomlin do about it? Not a damn thing.

- Our star receiver hold out for all of camp and preseason and then shows up to promptly drop passes, shows no interest in putting forth any effort and has a bad attitude all season. What's the coach do? Not a damn thing.

- Our star QB just carelessly wings passes all over the place, tossing game-losing pics more than once. When the season was to be made or broken, with the play off on the line, he loses BOTH games (Dallas and Cinci) with game-losing interceptions to end the game. No excuse for the utter sloppy and bonehead play; a bright and shinning example of lacking discipline.

- Our star running back is sloppy in carrying the ball and then pouts when he is told he would not be dressing and proceeds to not show up for work on game day (even though he wasn't playing).

- Our #2 WR couldn't bother to bend over and fall on a ball in the endzone, just giving up 5 points as if it was meaningless.
If you would go through a list of some of the good things that happened this year, you could probably have a longer list. There is always going to be something wrong on a team. But I don't think the Steelers are substantially way undisciplined. A father who has a strict household and a lot of kids cannot control everything they do. Are you suggesting that a coach of a team with grown men who have their own homes can control everything facet of their lives and behavior and if not, it's all his fault?

feltdizz
01-12-2013, 02:45 PM
All you can do is compare our team penalties, infractions, execution, and off field problems to the rest of the league.. If it's in the lower half or bottom 3Rd then I think it's a problem. I don't care how much they make, how old they are, what they own, etc... Are they more disciplined than the other players in their profession?

lloydroid
01-12-2013, 03:00 PM
If you would go through a list of some of the good things that happened this year, you could probably have a longer list. There is always going to be something wrong on a team. But I don't think the Steelers are substantially way undisciplined. A father who has a strict household and a lot of kids cannot control everything they do. Are you suggesting that a coach of a team with grown men who have their own homes can control everything facet of their lives and behavior and if not, it's all his fault?

First of all, way more good things than bad in 2012? I'd strongly disagree. It was an 8-8 season, where we needed just 1 more game to go to the play offs and we couldn't find that ONE WIN vs. TN, SD, Oak or Cle? Not to mention when we REALLY needed a game vs. Dallas and Cinci. No, sorry, not more good things than bad. And, with a -14 turnover ratio, I'd say it's safe to say, this team DOES HAVE discipline problems and that all starts and ends with the head coach, who, himself, had discipline problems with his ever-expanding girth.

birtikidis
01-12-2013, 03:03 PM
I wonder how the authors opinion will change now that Raineys girl friend came out and said that she wasn't slapped and that the witnesses were full of crap. I'm sure she's saying that bc she sees millions slipping away, but whose word has more weight. Hers or the people who said it happened?

DBR96A
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
...it takes balls for any media person in Pgh to tell the truth about the Steelers; they routinely threaten to take away perks from reporters who touch on areas that the Rooneys prefer go ignored. I know this for a FACT. This guy may have just had his tail gate tent tickets (free food and beer), premium parking pass, luxury box tickets etc. revoked. There isn't really a free press in Pgh when it comes to the Steelers.

I was about to ask if you're Mark Madden, but then I remembered that he actually appreciates Ben Roethlisberger.

fordfixer
01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
I was about to ask if you're Mark Madden, but then I remembered that he actually appreciates Ben Roethlisberger.
Let's watch the name calling please. I don't know Mr. Madden but I'm sure he would not be pleased with your comparing him with lloydroid:-)

lloydroid
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I wonder how the authors opinion will change now that Raineys girl friend came out and said that she wasn't slapped and that the witnesses were full of crap. I'm sure she's saying that bc she sees millions slipping away, but whose word has more weight. Hers or the people who said it happened?

People who can't control their emotions are constantly screwing up their lives. I wouldn't be shocked if this girlfriend didn't react over-the-top to begin with and now regrets that she just cost boy friend mad $ as it stands now. But I suspect some one will sign him for next year. I am not sure Pgh didn't react in a knew jerk fashion themselves. They may regret their rush to judgment themselves.

lloydroid
01-12-2013, 03:47 PM

I appreciate Bonehead Ben when he's not groping women, whining like a baby or throwing pic sixes ruining the season.

ikestops85
01-12-2013, 10:20 PM
I appreciate Bonehead Ben when he's not groping women, whining like a baby or throwing pic sixes ruining the season.

First of all, nobody knows if Ben has been groping women, he doesn't whine ... he answers questions that are asked of him, and while he has thrown his share of pic sixes he has also led our team on some awesome last minute drives to win games.

While Oveido and I are diametrically opposed on the defense we are in complete agreement that if we get a cohesive offensive line that can play together for any length of time we will have a very good team. Until that time we will be an inconsistent mess.

JB13
01-12-2013, 11:34 PM

These are all excellent points and I wholeheartedly agree. Discipline is instilled by the coach, who takes his cues from the front office. It's the coach's job to create a team culture and the Steelers culture is currently one of laziness and entitlement. It doesn't mean it can't be changed, but this current team plays without urgency and without attention to the little things. As you pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any fear from the players that they'll lose their starting job or get cut. As has been said by many others on this board, Tomlin appears hip and cool and his players love (based on what I've read) playing for him, but that approach isn't getting it done.

Our team is FILLED with guys who get hurt and while injuries are part of the game, I didn't see another team this year who had more guys get hurt than the Steelers. Discipline is knowing that you need to be in 100% shape when camp starts because if you aren't, you won't see the field. Discipline is knowing that if you turn the ball over with regularity, you're going to sit on the bench. Discipline is knowing at all times what the game situation is and what the right play is. Discipline is not committing dumb penalties like holds and pushes in the back on punt returns, like false starts, like personal fouls. The Steelers season was littered with false starts, holds and personal fouls. I don't care what may or may not happen behind closed doors - Tomlin lets these guys get away with a ton of crap on the field that shouldn't fly.

So many of my non-Steeler fan friends love Tomlin as a coach. I don't like him. The Ravens are now going to their third AFC championship game in five years and Joe Flacco(!) has been to the playoffs in each of his first five years. I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Tomlin. I hate the Ravens, but I think Harbaugh has out-worked Tomlin over the last five years. Yes, Tomlin's been to the Super Bowl twice in the last five years, but I think both of those appearances were largely achieved in spite of Tomlin, not because of him. Our guys are lazy, unmotivated and don't seem to have a problem with having the AFC North being taken over by the Ravens and the oncoming Bengals. Tomlin talks in cliches and says nothing. Players take their clues from their head coach and based on the results, I don't think Tomlin is doing nearly enough to get this team to where it should be. Nothing is guaranteed, but we're not getting the max from the talent we have and our players are playing dumb. That's all on the Tomlin. I'd like to get a new coach - someone who will instill fear in these guys and let them know the old ways and stupid playing won't fly. Won't happen, but it needs to. Six years is enough - we're going in the wrong direction.

Steelerphile
01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
First of all, way more good things than bad in 2012? I'd strongly disagree. It was an 8-8 season, where we needed just 1 more game to go to the play offs and we couldn't find that ONE WIN vs. TN, SD, Oak or Cle? Not to mention when we REALLY needed a game vs. Dallas and Cinci. No, sorry, not more good things than bad. And, with a -14 turnover ratio, I'd say it's safe to say, this team DOES HAVE discipline problems and that all starts and ends with the head coach, who, himself, had discipline problems with his ever-expanding girth.

Maybe not way more, but there were good things to talk about. Such as a good playmaking season for Timmons. Solid season for Foote. Development of Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen. Defense still No. 1 in certain categories. Solid start for the offense. You disagree about Sanders but I thought he had a solid season. Strong season for Suisham. Before the injuries to Colon and Adams, the line was starting to look like a good run blocking line.. I thought Hood came on down the stretch. There were positives and the season was just slightly off from a playoff season. You regale the board with some extremist rhetoric and I am not putting you down. That is the approach some people take, I am just more of the "take a balanced view" type of person.

hawaiiansteel
01-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Robinson: Reading between the Steelers’ lines

By Alan Robinson
Published: Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sometimes it‘s not what a team executive says, it‘s what he doesn‘t say. Or as in the case of Steelers president Art Rooney II, it‘s the message within the message.

During his annual postseason interview, Rooney emphasized that he felt everything was on track with the Steelers‘ offense until Ben Roethlisberger was injured nine games in. And that turnovers — too many by the Steelers, too few by opponents — haunted them in the five games they lost by three points.

(He‘s right; 22 of their 30 turnovers came during their eight losses.)

But Rooney seems as perplexed as anyone why a team with the Steelers‘ talent is sitting on the sideline in January. And while he didn‘t chastise Mike Tomlin — who signed a contract extension only last summer — it was obvious that as the coach‘s boss, he wasn‘t satisfied with the playing or the coaching.

Some of Rooney‘s more telling comments, and how they could be interpreted:

• “When you sit here and look at the teams in the playoffs, we feel like we can play with those guys. .... You feel like if we had gotten into the playoffs, we could have been on the same field with those teams and been competitive.” So why aren‘t we on that field?

• “We have young players that need to get better, and they need to do everything they can to figure out how to do that, whether it‘s focus, whether it‘s conditioning, whether it‘s working in the film room. There‘s no question that players that work hard wind up being better players than players who don‘t work hard.” They‘d better get better and work harder, and in a hurry, or they won‘t become old players with us.

• “Whether it‘s Rashard (Mendenhall) or Jonathan (Dwyer) or Isaac (Redman) or somebody else, we have to be better at that position, as well as others, but certainly at that position.” Somebody else should be expecting a phone call on Day 1 or 2 of the draft.

• “We obviously will look at the injury situation, our conditioning programs and all those kind of things and see if we can make sure that we have guys who can stay on the field longer.” Darn right we‘re looking at it. We devoted $33.2 million of cap space to just Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, and how often were they healthy at the same time?

MATTER OF CONSISTENCY

Since 2003, the Patriots (126 wins), Colts (112 wins) and Steelers (103) are the only teams to win at least 100 regular-season games. No NFC team has done it, the Packers with 98 wins coming the closest.

But while the Steelers missed the playoffs four times over that span (2003, ‘06, ‘09 and ‘12), the Colts (2011) and Patriots 2008 sat out only once — and New England went 11-5 in the season it didn‘t make it.

The Patriots also are 10 for 10 in 10-win seasons since ‘03, the only team to do so. The one constant to the Patriots‘ success is Tom Brady, who continues to play at a high level at age 35; Rooney envisions his own quarterback doing that.

“Certainly when you look around at some of the other high-level quarterbacks in this league, they‘re still doing pretty good at 35 and over,” he said. “There‘s no reason to think Ben can‘t be that kind of player.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3281758-74/steelers-rooney-players#ixzz2HsnkPKxB