PDA

View Full Version : Steelers cut Rainey...

Steelhere10
01-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Per Colbert.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette:

GM Colbert “Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

and:

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette:

#steelers waive Chris Rainey

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

papillon
01-10-2013, 04:35 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/10/pittsburgh-steelers-chris-rainey-fired-battery-arrest-girlfriend/

How much did he save the Steelers in cap space? :p

Pappy

Oviedo
01-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Think the leaders are still a little pissed about the season. Good move. Draft Denard Robinson and we have a better player anyway.

Rainey's "brother" Pouncey should beat him to a bloody puulp.

phillyesq
01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Here is an article from the PG:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-rookie-charged-with-simple-battery-in-florida-669866/

Rainey also had a legal issue in December.

Ghost
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm bummed on a couple of levels. I'm sorry this young man does not understand how to handle relationships with woman (and looks to have anger issues) and I'm sad the Steelers aren't going to have the exciting player I thought he'd be when they drafted him. Had high hopes he would be able to be used effectively in a variety of situations. Situation sucks all around.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
damnit.

had high hopes for this kid.

Steelhere10
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Now that's an expensive phone, ebay anyone was it worth 600,000+

feltdizz
01-10-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm bummed on a couple of levels. I'm sorry this young man does not understand how to handle relationships with woman (and looks to have anger issues) and I'm sad the Steelers aren't going to have the exciting player I thought he'd be when they drafted him. Had high hopes he would be able to be used effectively in a variety of situations. Situation sucks all around.

you can lose a lot of money chasing women but you will never lose women chasing money.... or footballs

lloydroid
01-10-2013, 05:09 PM
I know one thing: The report said, he "chased after the woman" with her bag. How long do you think that "chase" lasted? I am guessing she didn't get very far. Dude has jets. I am saddened by this. He could have had a very bright future, not just with returns but with the offense over all. Could have been our Sproles. Bummer. But it's not like it's the kid's first trouble of this nature. Welcome to Oakland, kid.

lloydroid
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Now that's an expensive phone, ebay anyone was it worth 600,000+

He will replace that $ soon enough. Someone will sign him.

feltdizz
01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I know one thing: The report said, he "chased after the woman" with her bag. How long do you think that "chase" lasted? I am guessing she didn't get very far. Dude has jets. I am saddened by this. He could have had a very bright future, not just with returns but with the offense over all. Could have been our Sproles. Bummer. But it's not like it's the kid's first trouble of this nature. Welcome to Oakland, kid.

it's not a good look to chase a woman down with her purse in hand... but it's Florida, she may have moves.

Steelhere10
01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
He will replace that $ soon enough. Someone will sign him.Maybe... But it's not like he had a great season to take a risk on if you ask me.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
But it's not like it's the kid's first trouble of this nature. Welcome to Oakland, kid.

that wasn't Ta'amu's first drunk driving incident either yet he is still a Steeler.

double standard??

DUI charge was second for Steelers' Ta'amu

October 16, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/289/728/alameda-taamu_420.jpg

Teammates of Steelers rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu, facing multiple felony and misdemeanor counts after a police chase early Sunday morning, said it is important to support him and help him, even though they acknowledged what he is charged with doing was wrong.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the case is being reviewed "under the appropriate league policies," but indicated any action in terms of discipline would have to come from the Steelers. Records obtained by the Post-Gazette show that this was not the first time Ta'amu has been charged with driving under the influence.

Ta'amu's attorney, Robert Del Greco, said a preliminary hearing has been set for 8 a.m. Oct. 23. Ta'amu was released from jail Sunday on $25,000 bail.

"You don't stand by in the sense of making him feel this is right," said safety Ryan Clark, the team's player representative. "You don't 'amen' this in that it's OK to do. But you don't throw him away, you don't exile him from the team, you don't stop talking to him, you don't stop being his friend.

"If you're family, you don't do that. When someone in your family makes a mistake, you try your best to work through it with him, not make him go through it by himself."

It was not known what immediate disciplinary action the Steelers will take with Ta'amu, a fourth-round draft choice from Washington.

He faces felony counts of fleeing police and aggravated assault while driving drunk; and three counts of aggravated assault for nearly running down police officers with his vehicle. He also is charged with 10 misdemeanors, including resisting arrest and attempting escape. Police said he crashed his 2006 Lincoln Navigator into several vehicles while fleeing them on the South Side.

Court records show that Ta'amu also was charged with driving under the influence in October 2011 for an incident that occurred Dec. 12, 2009, when Ta'amu was playing for the University of Washington. Trooper Joe Gannon of the Washington State Patrol wrote in a report that he stopped Ta'amu for driving 73 mph in a 60 mph zone on Interstate 5 about 3:40 a.m. and "smelled an odor of alcohol coming from him and ... observed his blood-shot watery eyes."

Police said Ta'amu, who was 19 at the time, blew a 0.097 and 0.098 on breath tests and told them he drank six Budweisers in three hours before he attempted to drive home in a 1993 Chevrolet Suburban. Prosecutors initially charged him with driving under the influence, but he instead later pleaded guilty to negligent driving, for which he was sentenced to one day in a community-work program and ordered to pay a $350 fine.

When former wide receiver Santonio Holmes was charged on a misdemeanor count of marijuana possession Oct. 25, 2008, coach Mike Tomlin did not let him practice the rest of the week and held him out of a game against the New York Giants.

At the time, Tomlin said Holmes was being deactivated for the game because his situation had created "a distraction" for the team. Tomlin's decision was never termed a suspension, and it was not known if Holmes lost one week's salary.

Typically, the league lets the involved team handle disciplinary measures for offending players.

If, however, the league does not think the punishment is severe enough, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can increase the penalty for the player and also fine or discipline the team.

"It's up to the league and the team's job to figure out the consequences of what he did, but it's our job to love him up and let him know what he did was wrong but that we're still here for him," said nose tackle Casey Hampton, Ta'amu's idol and mentor.

The NFL Players Association provides a program called "Safe Rides" in which players can call for a ride home if they feel as though they are unable to drive.

The program is run by a private investigation firm and is available to players anywhere in the United States and Canada. Players also pay $85 per hour for the service, which has its phone number on the back of every union card.

It is believed the Steelers have some type of similar arrangement for its players, as well."It's a sad deal," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "He's a talented young kid who made a mistake, a serious mistake. He's under a lot of heat right now, and rightfully so. We're going to love him and, hopefully, he can learn from these mistakes.

"Ta'amu, who is of Samoan descent, is known among his teammates as a polite, quiet and easy-going player who is quick to smile and pleasant to be around.Clark said he and Troy Polamalu went to the movies with Ta'amu at training camp and often ate with him."That's what bothers me and hurts me," Hampton said. "I know he's a good guy, but what he did was serious, dude, and you can't take anything away from that and I'll definitely let him know that. You got to let him know the severity of it, but, at the same time, you got to try to pull him back in and bring him back in and let him know we're here for him."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-players-acknowledge-taamus-mistake-657709/#ixzz2HbZghIcO

lloydroid
01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Maybe... But it's not like he had a great season to take a risk on if you ask me.

For a rookie 5th-round pick I think he showed enough. Most later round rookies don't get to show anything their first year. It's not as if he was a first or second round pick. Pgh didn't have to put much into him at all, and he definitely, at the very least, showed he could become a premiere returning. And that alone is worth more than a 5th round pick.

steelfin
01-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Another knee-jerk reaction by Colbert...Just like the Antonio Brown contract....

I am by no means condoning Rainey's actions....

squidkid
01-10-2013, 06:02 PM
if rainey produced more or had a bigger cap hit he'd still be a steeler.
who are the steelers trying to fool into believing this was a moral thing?

Chadman
01-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Guess it had to be done.

Dumb move Rainey.

Might be in the Steelers best interests to be consistant from here on in regards to legal trouble (they do ok, normally). For a team that wasn't overly disciplined last season, this might be the catalyst needed to start changing attitudes in the squad.

As to the Steeler outlook at RB- Chadman was thinking the Steelers needed that 3rd down, take it to the house type RB anyway. Rainey hadn't proven he could be that guy yet, so as a player, all we'll really miss is the KR/PR ability.

supersteeler
01-10-2013, 06:28 PM
This recent action by the Steelers may increase the odds of drafting a RB earlier in the rounds, we'll see.

Jooser
01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
He didn't show me much at all this season, I'll not miss him. Tevon Austin is much better, and would fit the bill as a replacement.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
He didn't show me much at all this season, I'll not miss him. Tevon Austin is much better, and would fit the bill as a replacement.

we would most likely have to draft Austin in the first round in order to land him...

RuthlessBurgher
01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
that wasn't Ta'amu's first drunk driving incident either yet he is still a Steeler.

double standard??

The Steelers waived Ta'Amu also. After he cleared waivers, though, he joined our practice squad.

SidSmythe
01-10-2013, 07:05 PM
The Steelers waived Ta'Amu also. After he cleared waivers, though, he joined our practice squad.

He also didn't tell a woman when he was a teenager that he would "kill her" ...Rainey has a record.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Rainey looked better in black & gold than he does in green & white...

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b26169e2013487536e1a970c-450wi

RuthlessBurgher
01-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Rainey looked better in black & gold than he does in green & white...

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b26169e2013487536e1a970c-450wi

Just barely...

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Chris+Rainey+Washington+Redskins+v+Pittsburgh+ySrR xFsisspl.jpg

Mister Pittsburgh
01-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Second time in a month he got in trouble with the law, after he came here with a checkered past. Dude needs to wake up to real life.

Vick Ballard was drafted 10 picks later and had 800+ yards this season.

Alfred Morris was 12 picks after Rainey.....

NorthCoast
01-10-2013, 07:42 PM

I don't think there is any attempt at 'fooling' anyone. It may be exactly as you state. Since the first two criteria were not met, he is done as a Steeler. Colbert even said as much, not sure how much clearer it could be.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Alfred Morris was 12 picks after Rainey.....

please don't remind me.

Alfred Morris carried the ball 335 times for 1613 yards (4.8 yd/avg) and 13 TDs...:HeadBanger

Shoe
01-10-2013, 07:54 PM

Oh, don't get it twisted--it is a moral thing. He wasn't cut due to his lack of performance on the field. You're right in the sense that, if he showed the potential of a young Marshall Faulk, he would still be on the Steelers. But don't downplay the moral stance the team is taking here. Rainey has talent. He is probably one of the 5 or 10 fastest players in the league... and he converts it on to the field. The team cutting him is no small sacrifice.

I know the bottom line is wins and losses, but I'm glad the team I root for places a premium on guys who act right.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2013, 08:10 PM
I know the bottom line is wins and losses, but I'm glad the team I root for places a premium on guys who act right.

and yet Ta'amu is still on the Steelers' roster, how do you explain that?

Djfan
01-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Was I the only one not impressed by him? He had flashes, but he didn't seem to be able to get past the one hit at times. Sorry about his demons, but not worried about the player loss too much.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Was I the only one not impressed by him? He had flashes, but he didn't seem to be able to get past the one hit at times. Sorry about his demons, but not worried about the player loss too much.

I'm probably not going to lose too much sleep about losing our 4th string RB either...

feltdizz
01-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Oh, don't get it twisted--it is a moral thing. He wasn't cut due to his lack of performance on the field. You're right in the sense that, if he showed the potential of a young Marshall Faulk, he would still be on the Steelers. But don't downplay the moral stance the team is taking here. Rainey has talent. He is probably one of the 5 or 10 fastest players in the league... and he converts it on to the field. The team cutting him is no small sacrifice.

...and yet, we have Harrison who smacked his baby mama, Ben and his drama, Plax and his gun wound and countless video of him cursing out Coughlin, Mendenhall and his issues, Tamu on the practice squad and God knows how many other infractions that have been kept in house.

I love my Steelers but I'm not too far gone to believe we have a moral high ground. We keep drafting players who get in trouble...

feltdizz
01-10-2013, 09:44 PM

If the ST's didn't draw so many penalties I think you would mid him. The only reason you weren't impressed is because we failed to use him correctly on the flats.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
I will miss him.

had a chance to be dynamic.

DBR96A
01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Hey, is this where we complain about the "inconsistency" of the front office and fail to consider a player's replaceability as a factor?

Djfan
01-11-2013, 12:40 AM
If the ST's didn't draw so many penalties I think you would mid him. The only reason you weren't impressed is because we failed to use him correctly on the flats.

That may be. I say let him find his career somewhere else, and best of luck to him. Next.

lloydroid
01-11-2013, 01:20 AM
just barely...

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/chris+rainey+washington+redskins+v+pittsburgh+ysrr xfsisspl.jpg

lmmfao.....

Shoe
01-11-2013, 01:34 AM

I don't. But that doesn't mean I'm not right. A family can have a deadbeat, loser, @s$h01e in their family. It doesn't make the whole family a piece of $h1+.

Crash
01-11-2013, 01:39 AM
I think Ta'amu's playing future isn't guaranteed. I think they are just trying to help him deal with his booze issues.

It's called compassion. From what I hear he's also willing to get help and going to meetings.

SidSmythe
01-11-2013, 01:43 AM

This is Rainey's 2nd incident. This was Ta'amu's first.

Crash
01-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Ta'amu had issues with booze in college.

hawaiiansteel
01-11-2013, 02:07 AM
This is Rainey's 2nd incident. This was Ta'amu's first.

no, it's not.

this was Ta'amu's 2nd DUI in a span of a couple of years.

thor75
01-11-2013, 02:23 AM
I would blame these offenses on them being young and immature, but Hines had a DUI last year too. Tough to know the FO's line or justification for players being released. It is a little hazy. I don't want to be the Pittsburgh choir boys but I don't want concertina wire scars under their jerseys either.

hawaiiansteel
01-11-2013, 03:20 AM
it's not a good look to chase a woman down with her purse in hand... but it's Florida, she may have moves.

I wonder if Rainey fumbled his phone and his gf was just getting it for him?

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Chris Rainey cut for disciplinary reasons, not football reasons

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

For the second time in his brief NFL career, running back Chris Rainey has been cut for off-field reasons.

Rainey was cut by the Colts today for violating team rules, Adam Schefter ‏of ESPN reports. Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star adds that the release is conduct related and that head coach Chuck Pagano plans to provide more details.

What’s clear is that the decision was not about Rainey’s performance on the football field at training camp, which is consistent with what Pagano has been saying about Rainey: Pagano raved over the weekend about how much he likes Rainey, and when running back Vick Ballard was lost for the season with a knee injury, it appeared that Rainey would play an important role on the team as a backup running back as well as a kick returner.

Instead, Rainey has been released for something he did off the field. We don’t know exactly what that “something” was, but we do know that this has happened to Rainey before: The Steelers cut him shortly after his rookie year ended following an arrest on a charge of battery against his girlfriend. Now that Rainey has blown his second chance with the Colts, he’ll have to hope some team is willing to give him a third chance.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/28/chris-rainey-cut-for-disciplinary-reasons-not-football-reasons/

RuthlessBurgher
08-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Chris Rainey burns bridges with the Colts

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 8, 2014, 6:56 AM EDT

Chris Rainey, the running back who was cut by the Colts for disciplinary reasons early in training camp, watched the team’s preseason game on Thursday night and vented on Twitter about the circumstances that got him cut.

Shortly after running back Dan “Boom” Herron scored a touchdown, Rainey wrote on Twitter that Herron was involved in the same incident that got Rainey cut from the team.

“Nice TD Boom even tho u was in the hallway with me that nite when we was horsing around with the fire extinguisher. Man up like i did,” Rainey wrote.

The Colts have not confirmed what Rainey did to get cut, but the Indianapolis Star reports that a fire alarm was set off on the night of July 27 when a fire extinguisher was sprayed in a break room in the dorm where the Colts are staying. Rainey was released on the morning of July 28.

Rainey confirmed that he isn’t happy about the fact that he was cut and doesn’t think he should have been.

“Yea im piss watchin the colts game when i should be out there too. Even tho i didnt break no f**kin team rules, not even,” Rainey wrote.

Rainey changed the status of his Twitter account to “private” after writing that, but it’s too late: Rainey has publicly vented about the team, and burned bridges in the process.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/08/chris-rainey-burns-bridges-with-the-colts/

K Train
08-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Horsing around with the fire extinguisher....been there done that

feltdizz
08-08-2014, 11:23 AM
They cut him for a prank at camp? Nah... that has to be an excuse they used to cut hum because players prank all the time in camp.

Djfan
08-08-2014, 11:29 AM
He makes stupid choices. Plain and simple. If he wants to not pay the price for that, don't make stupid choices. There is no "code of conduct" for either the players or the team when the player is in the realm of "stupid choices." The only way to not be on the backside of those irregular responses from the team brass is to not make stupid choices.

Too bad. Seems like a cool guy with talent.