PDA

View Full Version : Is this the year Cowher Returns To Coaching?

supersteeler
01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm hearing he wants to return at some point as it presents a challenge for him, and he said the lay-off won't matter. He coached for 27 years, and with his current job he's well aware of the current NFL and its workings.
Every year this is talked about, but I have a feeling either this year or next Bill will make a move back to coaching.

He'll make a ton of money for one, and I think he's getting bored with his current position, so its logical he gets back to coaching. There's been speculation on what team he would coach for sometime now, its anyones guess but I would think the team he does coach must have a good QB to start with. He's going to want more control over matters, and he will command anywhere from 8 to 10 million a year.

I've been hearing San Diego and it makes sense. They have a good QB in Rivers to start with, and their defense isn't too bad, they need some more weapons for Rivers and some help in their offensive line. I think Bill could make a difference for that team and finally get them back to a playoff team.
There is an opening @ SD and I haven't heard any replacement news for Norv Turnner, so who knows this might be the year.

Oviedo
01-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Cowher to Philly or Chicago in that order. Philly will pay him a ton of money and Chicago has a QB.

However, if I'm him with the money he has in the bank I not getting back into that rat race for anything.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Wait until 2014 Cowher. If Tomlin misses the playoffs again...Fire Tomlin & bring back Cowher.

Slapstick
01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Wait until 2014 Cowher. If Tomlin misses the playoffs again...Fire Tomlin & bring back Cowher.

...because Cowher never missed the playoffs in back-to-back seasons!!

Oooo...wait a minute...

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Was just going to say this....Bill is waiting for the Rooney's to can Tomlin to ride back in on a white horse and ressurrect the franchise.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM
...because Cowher never missed the playoffs in back-to-back seasons!!

Oooo...wait a minute...

If you think that statement is about missing the playoffs then you can't see what is going on down on the sidelines & in the locker room.

Steelhere10
01-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Lol, you guys are really funny. Now the fans know what's going on in the locker room and down the sidelines..... Lmao

Steelhere10
01-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Was just going to say this....Bill is waiting for the Rooney's to can Tomlin to ride back in on a white horse and ressurrect the franchise.
I guess 1SB win in 15 years will resurrect the franchise, I don't know which statement is funnier....

Ghost
01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
If I'm Cowher: I'm staying right where I am. He's got a fantastic life. Very attractive new girfriend. A sweet, high paying job with little stress outside of how will I manage to watch tape of all the football games this week (oh my...). He can live at his beautiful house in the Carolina's for most of the week and get in some rounds of golf (he can probably get on any course in America ) and then fly to NYC for the weekend. Summers off. He's got job security to stay on TV as long as he wants. He's got it plush.

And Tomlin's going nowhere. He's here at least another 5 seasons unless he makes a choice to leave (don't see that happening). Rooney's will stick with him (as they should) for a good, long while.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 10:16 AM

I don't think BC has any agenda. He left on GREAT terms. The Rooney's fully supported his decision to step down. There was alot more to do with it than football. Tomlin is still the guy but if he can't get this team back on track in 2013 I am all for pursuing Cowher and letting Tomlin go. I also believe the Rooney's would love to have him back "IF"....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Lol, you guys are really funny. Now the fans know what's going on in the locker room and down the sidelines..... Lmao

So are you saying you are blind or you were in the band?

Sugar
01-09-2013, 10:19 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

I could see Bill going to SD or Chi. He should probably stay away from Philly. Jimmy Haslem could pay him a LOT of cash to come to Cleveland as he is trying to change the culture there. There are fits for him if he wants to return, it's just a matter of who makes the invitation.

Steelhere10
01-09-2013, 10:21 AM
So are you saying you are blind or you were in the band?I saw nothing any different when Bill was coaching with Porter, Flowers etc I think you are seeing what you want to see.

Sugar
01-09-2013, 10:26 AM
I hope the best for Bill. It was a sad day when he left. That said, I don't want him back. Ever.

Tomlin is the right man for the job in Pittsburgh. Unless he just completely falls apart, he should be the coach here as long as he wants to be.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 10:28 AM
If I'm Cowher: I'm staying right where I am. He's got a fantastic life. Very attractive new girfriend. A sweet, high paying job with little stress outside of how will I manage to watch tape of all the football games this week (oh my...). He can live at his beautiful house in the Carolina's for most of the week and get in some rounds of golf (he can probably get on any course in America ) and then fly to NYC for the weekend. Summers off. He's got job security to stay on TV as long as he wants. He's got it plush.

And Tomlin's going nowhere. He's here at least another 5 seasons unless he makes a choice to leave (don't see that happening). Rooney's will stick with him (as they should) for a good, long while.

Tomlin is signed through 2016 but they will not settle for mediocrity just to see his contract out.

Oviedo
01-09-2013, 10:28 AM
I hope the best for Bill. It was a sad day when he left. That said, I don't want him back. Ever.

Tomlin is the right man for the job in Pittsburgh. Unless he just completely falls apart, he should be the coach here as long as he wants to be.

$$$$$$ Would agree with every letter, syllable and word you typed.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 10:36 AM
I saw nothing any different when Bill was coaching with Porter, Flowers etc I think you are seeing what you want to see.

Tomlin inherited a mental tough veteran team. As the veterans come to the end of their careers & the youth sit at the table...You can see the difference. Porter & Flower's antics was not a reflection of the coaching...Their discipline & accountabilty was. You can talk the talk on the field...There is nothing wrong with confidence. Cowher was not afraid to get in the face of Porter, Flowers, & even LLoyd...He drew the line on player-coach relationship as a professional. Tomlin better learn quick the difference because the influx of youth over the last couple years & going forward will require him to be a coach...Not a buddy. I'm seeing what is going on...Not what I don't want to see. I am a fan or Tomlin & Cowher...But if Tomlin can't do his job...I won't be. Tomlin will be challanged over the next couple years as a coach. He didn't respond well in 2012.

SidSmythe
01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
If I were a GM, i'd be looking for the next 33 year old Bill Cowher, not the OLD one who's not as hungry anymore.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 10:41 AM

I agree. "Completely falls apart" would start to fit that description if the Steelers don't make the playoffs in 2013.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 10:44 AM
If I were a GM, i'd be looking for the next 33 year old Bill Cowher, not the OLD one who's not as hungry anymore.

They did in Tomlin. Hopefully that book has a great ending. But if it doesn't....

Do you think calling Cowher an OLD coach who isn't hungry anymore an accurate statement?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
I guess 1SB win in 15 years will resurrect the franchise, I don't know which statement is funnier....

The farther we get from a core of Cowher era/drafted players the worse we are. Lets see how we do when Casey-Keisel-Harrison-Troy-Ike-Foote are gone.

Steelhere10
01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Spitting in the face of players and dealing with over confident players won him how many SB, and championship home losses again?

Steelhere10
01-09-2013, 10:51 AM
The farther we get from a core of Cowher era/drafted players the worse we are. Lets see how we do when Casey-Keisel-Harrison-Troy-Ike-Foote are gone.Probably no worse when Noll players left Bill. If Bill couldn't win with
A good healthy Ol, Dl a hall of fame Rb loylld, Brown, Green, Kirkland, Woodson, Lake, Perry, and the wrs he had then what make you think he could win now?

Sugar
01-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I agree. "Completely falls apart" would start to fit that description if the Steelers don't make the playoffs in 2013.

No. I'm thinking losing seasons for two consecutive years after this years even season. If some rebuilding does need to happen, you want to have a steady hand through it and not keep changing coaches like losing organizations do.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
No. I'm thinking losing seasons for two consecutive years after this years even season. If some rebuilding does need to happen, you want to have a steady hand through it and not keep changing coaches like losing organizations do.

Stability doesn't offer much if the player evaluation during the rebuilding isn't there.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Spitting in the face of players and dealing with over confident players won him how many SB, and championship home losses again?

And you think Tomlins 2 SB appearances have NOTHING to do with Cowhers's players and what he developed in them as professionals? Cowher got a QB in 2004 and made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years with him and won a SB. Tomlin inherits that team has a SB win & a loss. I'm not taking anything away from Tomlin but he had some help before he got there. Tomlin also missed the playoffs 2 out of his 6 years here and has 2 "one & done" in the playoffs. Tomlin's fingerprints on this team come to the surface as more & more vets depart. He has some coaching up to do.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Probably no worse when Noll players left Bill. If Bill couldn't win with
A good healthy Ol, Dl a hall of fame Rb loylld, Brown, Green, Kirkland, Woodson, Lake, Perry, and the wrs he had then what make you think he could win now?
Steelers woes over that time had nothing to do with defense. It was always about the offense and the inability to win if they got behind & I'm sure you remember that. The time they made runs is when Neil & Tommy where here & gave them any sense of a passing offense to go along with that D pre dating BB. Cowher got a QB in 2004 and went to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years with BB a won a SB. If Cowher didn't retire...Would you expect something less than what Tomlin did? I would guess you could at very least put Tomlin's season's at the end of Cowher's if he stayed. The core was his players.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 11:26 AM

I would give you that evaluation..That is fair. I'm more proactive & get agitated quicker. :evil:

Slapstick
01-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Cowher was more of a "buddy" with his favorite players than Tomlin is...

Cowher inherited two Hall of Famers, Woodson and Dawson, one on each side of the ball...in addition to players like Barry Foster, Merril Hoge and Eric Green on offense...Greg Lloyd, Hardy Nickerson and Carnell Lake on defense...

Please, let's don't pretend that Cowher did not inherit any talent...

Dee Dub
01-09-2013, 01:11 PM

JPN, on your signature mock, Gavin Escobar is a good player. Love him. I was thinking about adding him to mine but thought the Steelers could still get a good TE later in Joseph Fauria or Levine Toilolo. Also love the pick of Tavarrus King. If he gets int the right situation he could be a huge surprise.

Dee Dub
01-09-2013, 01:18 PM
I would give you that evaluation..That is fair. I'm more proactive & get agitated quicker. :evil:

Oh, and I would rather have my first two picks (Terrence Williams and Kevin Minter), than your first two (Alec Olgetree and Eric Reid).....;)

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Probably no worse when Noll players left Bill. If Bill couldn't win with

Very similar situations....Cowher went to a bowl with them...then they retired/left via FA like we are seeing now. Cowher then built the team that went on to win a SB for him and another for Tomlin. Let's see if Tomlin can now build a stud team now that the vets are leaving.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Cowher was more of a "buddy" with his favorite players than Tomlin is...

Cowher inherited two Hall of Famers, Woodson and Dawson, one on each side of the ball...in addition to players like Barry Foster, Merril Hoge and Eric Green on offense...Greg Lloyd, Hardy Nickerson and Carnell Lake on defense...

Please, let's don't pretend that Cowher did not inherit any talent...

Cowher had Rod and Lloyd till around 96 or 97, so around 5 years each, but the last year or two of each of their careers in Pgh were spent injured. Sort of like Troy and Harrison. So Cowher and Tomlin took over teams with some talent, I never said they didn't. What I said is lets see if Tomlin can build the team that Cowher did.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Cowher...A buddy??? What did you watch or what did you read? Cowher was anything but someones buddy on the field. He didn't wait to approach you. He would get you coming off the field.

I didn't see you mention Cowher inheriting a SB QB. Noll's last 7 years here saw the Steelers miss the playoffs 6 out of 7 years. Cowher came in coming off of the Malone / Brister run with O'Donell coming off his 8 start 2nd year. Cowhers run had O'Donnell, Tomzak, Stewart, & Maddox before he got BB. The names Aikman, Young, Favre, Ellway, Warner, & Brady highlighted the SBs over that time. Yeah...Cowher had the talent at QB to compete with that. So Tomlin inherits a team that was in the playoffs 4 out of 6 years with a SB win, a franchise QB, and possibly double the hall of famers & Pro Bowlers...But you think Cowher came into the same talent situation? Wow. Disagree there. Did you forget Cowher took that team he inherited to the playoffs the first 6 years he was here before his first 2 losing seasons? I'm not going to compare their body of work yet but Tomlin's has to take "his core" of players back to the top before I anoint him better than Cowher. That is where he is at right now. Tomlin got to utilize BB in his prime since he came here. My expectations are higher because of that and need to be met before I give him his due acolades. The real Mike Tomlin will stand up over the next 2-3 years.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Oh, and I would rather have my first two picks (Terrence Williams and Kevin Minter), than your first two (Alec Olgetree and Eric Reid).....;)

I have no problem with your fist two picks. To be honest, like all the players in your mock. Just don't know what they are thinking or how the offseason pans out.

The Steelers signed Brian Rolle to a future contract. I'm starting to get the feeling the Steelers are leaning toward an ILB later, if at all, because they know the status of Spence & Foote. Spence may be a PUP canidate & Foote brought back as insurance. Rolle would be good depth & ST player. Rolle could very well find himself on the field with Timmons sliding over. Maybe Foote won't be brought back...Who knows. I'm starting to lean towards an ILB later now. Someone like Nico Johnson if he falls in the 3rd or Kiko Alonso in the 4th.

Slapstick
01-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Cowher...A buddy??? What did you watch or what did you read? Cowher was anything but someones buddy on the field. He didn't wait to approach you. He would get you coming off the field.

When I see a player kiss Tomlin, I will believe that he's the players' "buddy"...

Steelhere10
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
When I see a player kiss Tomlin, I will believe that he's the players' "buddy"...

747Or cater to Kordell after benching him. Besides it was Cowhers fault that he decided to stick with Stewart and didn't Even want Ben.

supersteeler
01-09-2013, 04:01 PM
I didn't intend for this thread to be about Cowher vs Tomlin, only that Cowher is getting ansy and might want to re-enter the NFL as a coach.
As I stated the speculation is there every year about Bill, what he will do is up in the air as it always is until he says one way or another what his intentions are.

From what I'm gathering, Bill is content with his current gig, but at the same time the rumor is he wants a new challenge. He got the chance to spend time with his kids, so whats left but what he knows. If he does return to coaching I wish him well, no matter where he goes or what he does he's still a pittsburgh guy.

He did well in his life, not bad for a guy from Crafton!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 04:15 PM

That's what you theory is based on???? Incredible! Now I see what I'm dealing with.

Slapstick
01-09-2013, 04:28 PM
That's what you theory is based on???? Incredible! Now I see what I'm dealing with.

Just an example, JPN...

By the way, what exactly is YOUR theory based on? Hmmm?

Crash
01-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Cowher wasn't a hard ass with players. He was a hard ass towards media and officials.

Remember what Bettis said when Plax left? Coughlin was going to be different for him because Cowher never ran that tight of a ship.

Steelhere10
01-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Cowher wasn't a hard ass with players. He was a hard ass towards media and officials.

Remember what Bettis said when Plax left? Coughlin was going to be different for him because Cowher never ran that tight of a ship.

So true...

flippy
01-09-2013, 04:53 PM
We need a new ST coach. Let's bring back Cowher.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Just an example, JPN...

By the way, what exactly is YOUR theory based on? Hmmm?

I'm still waiting for his team to "not go gentle" & "unleash hell".

Players are an extension of their coaches. Late game collapses & not winning the games you should are the footprints of a mentally soft team. Talking about getting it corrected isn't the same as doing it. He lacks discipline among his players which is evident by the lack of their attention to detail. They are professionals. Don't be afraid to hurt their ego and not challenge them. Tomlin is what dictates the balance between team chemistry & accountabilty. I believe he is more of a "players coach" than someone who can coach a player. It is only getting more difficult as this team gets younger. Not everyone is self sufficient...Most Vets are. The young guys need direction and it is lacking. Tomlin can get this going in the right direction but I believe he needs to expect more out of his young players and make it known to them. I don't think he challanges his players enough. There is a difference between trying to motivate them with words & pushing them to get better. Tomlin seems like he rather pat them on the back when they are winning rather than kick them in the A$$ & tell them they need to get better.

That is my opinion. I could be wrong...And to be honest I hope I am so they get it turned around. Until I see the youth core respond the way they should...I have my doubts.

Crash
01-09-2013, 05:25 PM
The LeBeau defense was blowing 4th quarter leads long before Tomlin got here.

Steelhere10
01-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Crash I'm glad that you are back to restore order in this joint. I lol

Crash
01-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Rooney should allow me to restore order to his football team and then his wallet.

He did it his way, to 8-8.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, own.

He should remember that.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
The LeBeau defense was blowing 4th quarter leads long before Tomlin got here.

So DL was DC under Cowher in 95 & 96. Lost in the SB in 95 and lost in the divisional round in 96 before he left for the Bengals. DL returns in 04 under Cowher and they lose in the AFCCG. 05 they win the SB & 06 is Cowhers last year where they go 8-8. So the Steelers with DL under Cowher went 8-3 in the post season while getting to the playoffs 4 out of the 5 years. 3 AFC division titles & 2 SB appearances. So how many 4th quarter leads was DL's defense blowing before Tomlin?

lloydroid
01-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't think BC has any agenda. He left on GREAT terms. The Rooney's fully supported his decision to step down. There was alot more to do with it than football. Tomlin is still the guy but if he can't get this team back on track in 2013 I am all for pursuing Cowher and letting Tomlin go. I also believe the Rooney's would love to have him back "IF"....

Cowher is going to ask for $7-10 million at his next stop. That is way too rich for the Rooneys, who don't like spending $ very much.

Steelerphile
01-09-2013, 06:20 PM
i wish he would go on a come back if he is going to. I personally don't think Cowher will ever return to coaching. He is just giving people a little bit of hope so they keep talking about him. If he did come back I don't think he would perform any miracles. But I would like to see what he would do.

Sugar
01-09-2013, 06:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124092/article/bill-cowher-reportedly-wont-coach-for-4-to-5-years

Chadman
01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Ok, Chadman wades in..

History tells us that Tomlin & the Steelers will not have back-to-back failed seasons. They'll be in the playoffs next season. To be honest- they were really not that far off now.

Cowher will always have a place for most of us. Will he coach again? Maybe. You know what? The longer he stays out, the less likely it is to happen. So if he wants back in, now is the time. He would do WONDERS for an organisation like Cleveland if given the right amount of control.

Tomlin certainly inherited a bunch of hardened vets from Cowher. Every new coach inherits good players from the previous guy. Instead of holding it against Tomlin that he found success with some of Cowher's guys- we should congratulate him for doing what was best for the organisation, instead of trying to change things just because he was the new guy in town. He was smart enough to see he had a good team, and he used that. He now faces a greater challenge in that those guys that won it for him are rapidly leaving his service. Now we'll see what sort of talent accumulater Tomlin is. But be careful before you put the fork in him as we see the Steelers new-comers struggling...what we are experiencing right now is 'rapid change'- lots of new guys being rushed into starting roles as old guys are shipped out... it'll take some time before we see "Tomlin's guys" at their best.

But Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Adams, Hood, Heyward, Brown, Sanders, Wallace, Woodley, Timmons, Lewis, Allen.... these are not bad pieces to put together. They are not at their peak yet, but the new framework looks promising.

Slapstick
01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm still waiting for his team to "not go gentle" & "unleash hell".

Players are an extension of their coaches. Late game collapses & not winning the games you should are the footprints of a mentally soft team. Talking about getting it corrected isn't the same as doing it. He lacks discipline among his players which is evident by the lack of their attention to detail. They are professionals. Don't be afraid to hurt their ego and not challenge them. Tomlin is what dictates the balance between team chemistry & accountabilty. I believe he is more of a "players coach" than someone who can coach a player. It is only getting more difficult as this team gets younger. Not everyone is self sufficient...Most Vets are. The young guys need direction and it is lacking. Tomlin can get this going in the right direction but I believe he needs to expect more out of his young players and make it known to them. I don't think he challanges his players enough. There is a difference between trying to motivate them with words & pushing them to get better. Tomlin seems like he rather pat them on the back when they are winning rather than kick them in the A$$ & tell them they need to get better.

That is my opinion. I could be wrong...And to be honest I hope I am so they get it turned around. Until I see the youth core respond the way they should...I have my doubts.

One could say that losing AFC championship games at home is also the extension of the coach...

We have to take the good with the bad...

With every bad/disagreeable thing that Tomlin has done, Cowher did it before and more often...

Bur, give Tomlin time....he'll catch up....

Steelhere10
01-09-2013, 07:55 PM
One could say that losing AFC championship games at home is also the extension of the coach...

With every bad/disagreeable thing that Tomlin has done, Cowher did it before and more often...

Bur, give Tomlin time....he'll catch up....I agree, many seems to forget all those blown AFFCG against teams we were favorite against in Cowher era.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-10-2013, 10:51 AM

Bur, give Tomlin time....he'll catch up....

Very much so! I know it hurts losing but isn't getting there in itself something to speak of? Cowher got to the AFC Championship Game 6 out of the 15 years he was here. He went 2-4 in those games with losses to SD, Denver, & NE twice. 3 of those 4 losses turned out to be the SB Champs. 3 years with BB he went to 2 AFCCG (1-1) & 1 SB win. Tomlin has 6 years with BB, has 2 AFCCG (2-0) & 1 SB win.

You look at Tomlin & Cowher they are close. Arguments will be made about Tomlin doing it with Cowher's players. Tomlin won his SB with 18 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. His SB loss had 12 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. Last year it was 11 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. That may give a little insight to my concerns & point. Tomlin's fingerprints should be showing as "his players" start. As Cowher's starters leave his numbers look to be going the wrong direction. If it continues? This team could see 7 players that started for Cowher starting here next year. As little as 2-3 in 2014. At some point Tomlin & his players have make there mark. Isn't it reasonable to expect it in 2013 or 2014? I believe it is. Cowher had his 2-3 year slump with no QB and got it going. Tomlin had his franchise guy here & went 1 & done and then 8-8. Maybe I have less patience than the next but missing the playoffs in 2013 with BB at the helm will have me starting to push him out the door.

Again, I'm not saying we should get Cowher back for Tomlin. I'm saying I would take Cowher back if Tomlin can't right this ship. I have noticed things that are a concern. I see a trend. Tomlin & his players have to step forward now that the vet core is being turned over. I haven't seen that yet. I hope he does because I don't want to live through mediocrity.

Slapstick
01-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Very much so! I know it hurts losing but isn't getting there in itself something to speak of? Cowher got to the AFC Championship Game 6 out of the 15 years he was here. He went 2-4 in those games with losses to SD, Denver, & NE twice. 3 of those 4 losses turned out to be the SB Champs. 3 years with BB he went to 2 AFCCG (1-1) & 1 SB win. Tomlin has 6 years with BB, has 2 AFCCG (2-0) & 1 SB win.

You look at Tomlin & Cowher they are close. Arguments will be made about Tomlin doing it with Cowher's players. Tomlin won his SB with 18 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. His SB loss had 12 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. Last year it was 11 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. That may give a little insight to my concerns & point. Tomlin's fingerprints should be showing as "his players" start. As Cowher's starters leave his numbers look to be going the wrong direction. If it continues? This team could see 7 players that started for Cowher starting here next year. As little as 2-3 in 2014. At some point Tomlin & his players have make there mark. Isn't it reasonable to expect it in 2013 or 2014? I believe it is. Cowher had his 2-3 year slump with no QB and got it going. Tomlin had his franchise guy here & went 1 & done and then 8-8. Maybe I have less patience than the next but missing the playoffs in 2013 with BB at the helm will have me starting to push him out the door.

Again, I'm not saying we should get Cowher back for Tomlin. I'm saying I would take Cowher back if Tomlin can't right this ship. I have noticed things that are a concern. I see a trend. Tomlin & his players have to step forward now that the vet core is being turned over. I haven't seen that yet. I hope he does because I don't want to live through mediocrity.

I think Tomlin will be given the same opportunity as Cowher was...but, I honestly don't think Tomlin will go three consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance...

ikestops85
01-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I agree, many seems to forget all those blown AFFCG against teams we were favorite against in Cowher era.

I certainly remember those losses and some of them still hurt. I think that Cowher was a victim of his own success. I believe that Steeler fans think that those teams were much more talented than they really were. How many of those players were ever heard from again after they left the Cowher led Steelers? If you think back you will find that it wasn't that many.

In my mind Cowher was a master motivator ... second only to Vince Lombardi. He got those players to play above their talent level. Somehow, week after week, he found a way to push a players button so that he would perform above and beyond his capabilities. However, this could only take him so far. He had a couple of things working against him. The first was he isn't a great 'X's and O's type of guy and he didn't always listen to the assistants that were. The second was no matter how much you motivate a QB he has to have talent.

If you go back and remember when Cowher decided he wasn't going to yell and scream on the sidelines, he thought it sent a bad message to his girls, and we were lousy that year. Then there was his last year when he mailed it in ... we were bad that year also. Sure, there were other years we weren't great but by and large the Steelers were a team of over-achievers under Cowher.

The only reason we were in those AFCCGs was because Cowher got us there. So I don't think of his legacy in the Burgh was he lost the big game. I think it is he got us to the big game.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I think Tomlin will be given the same opportunity as Cowher was...but, I honestly don't think Tomlin will go three consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance...

I have some doubts until I see some signs. I do think the Rooney's will take into consideration having BB & where he is at in his career if and/or when a decision has to be made. I don't think they will wait until Tomlin misses three season in a row to turn up the heat on him. Let's hope this discussion doesn't heat up after the 2013 season. Let's hope the conversation is about if a "hangover" will happen the 3rd time around.