PDA

View Full Version : My offseason prediction for Mike Wallace

BigRob
01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Now that Chip Kelly has moved on from the NFL for another year. I started thinking about where Mike Wallace would play.

There are two possibilities in my mind. Washington and Cleveland.

Washington needs a burner on the outside for RGIII. Pierre Garcon is best when paired up with someone on the otherside. I could really see this happening. However.....

Cleveland has $47 million dollars in cap space as of today! This is per Peter King.

Cleveland is going to be sticking with Weeden for one more year. They have the cap space to dump into Wallace. A receiving corp of Wallace, Gordon, and Greg Little is going to look appealing to them.

It will also appeal to them to take Wallace from the Steelers.

This is my prediction for Wallace. Where do you think he will end up playing next year?

Steelhere10
01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
My guess is the Steelers or 49ers, I don't know why people are assuming that they still don't won't to work out a contract with each other. If they wanted to before the season I don't think they just all of a sudden changed their mind.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
My guess is the Steelers or 49ers, I don't know why people are assuming that they still don't won't to work out a contract with each other. If they wanted to before the season I don't think they just all of a sudden changed their mind.

I think re-signing Keenan Lewis has become a higher priority for the Steelers than re-signing Wallace.

BigRob
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Also because many have reported that Wallace doesn't WANT to be a Steeler. Combine that with the need to lock-up a more important position with Keenan Lewis, you have bye bye Wallace.

Sugar
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Also because many have reported that Wallace doesn't WANT to be a Steeler. Combine that with the need to lock-up a more important position with Keenan Lewis, you have bye bye Wallace.

Many reported that Andy Reid was going to Arizona too. Many reported that Wallace wanted Fitz money and that myth has continued on despite no reputable source. I'll wait on an announcement from the team.

BigRob
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Many reported that Andy Reid was going to Arizona too. Many reported that Wallace wanted Fitz money and that myth has continued on despite no reputable source. I'll wait on an announcement from the team.

Keep waiting, he's not going to re-sign with the Steelers until he sees what teams will pay him vs the Steelers. In case you haven't noticed Lewis is higher priority and we are cap poor.

Sugar
01-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Keep waiting, he's not going to re-sign with the Steelers until he sees what teams will pay him vs the Steelers. In case you haven't noticed Lewis is higher priority and we are cap poor.

I've noticed a lot of things. What I haven't noticed is Wallace (or any other credible source) saying that he doesn't want to be a Steeler.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
When you are coming off back-to-back 12-4 seasons, a team is more likely to hold on to veteran starters to continue their successful run. However, when you are coming off an 8-8 season and missing the playoffs, a team is more apt to skew more toward youth that has a long-term future over aging players that have no long-term future.

With this in mind, I think the team does what it takes to keep Lewis and Wallace on board (even if many fans on message boards planned to rejoice when Wallace signed elsewhere). They might even try to bring back Mendenhall (who has even less support on Steeler message boards than Wallace).

In order to make this happen, they may have to make some tough calls on popular Steeler stars (something that Tomlin did once upon a time with Joey Porter). Folks here may not like moves like this, but locking up young talent and parting ways with older pricey players has long been a Steeler staple. Now that a bit of time has passed since our last Super Bowl appearance in 2010 and our last Super Bowl victory in 2008, the front office may go back to this youth-centric way of business as opposing to continuing to hold on to Super Bowl heroes.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2013, 02:33 PM
I've noticed a lot of things. What I haven't noticed is Wallace (or any other credible source) saying that he doesn't want to be a Steeler.

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

As I posted at http://SCI.net , Walllace wants to leave, Keenan wants to stay, Max thinks he's already gone, Foote will come back cheap

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Sugar
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM

As I posted at http://SCI.net , Walllace wants to leave, Keenan wants to stay, Max thinks he's already gone, Foote will come back cheap

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Like I said...

Steelhere10
01-07-2013, 02:44 PM

https://twitter.com/jimwexellIs wexell the same reporter that came up Bruce A to be fired 3yrs ago. Wallace wanted to be on the team before the season started, I think frustration is talking enough money would make him stay. There Are going to be reports on both sides. I heard a report last week on BNG radio that RM and Wallace were in negotiation with the Steelers.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Like I said...

Wexell is a very credible reporter.

Steelhere10
01-07-2013, 02:50 PM
When you are coming off back-to-back 12-4 seasons, a team is more likely to hold on to veteran starters to continue their successful run. However, when you are coming off an 8-8 season and missing the playoffs, a team is more apt to skew more toward youth that has a long-term future over aging players that have no long-term future.

With this in mind, I think the team does what it takes to keep Lewis and Wallace on board (even if many fans on message boards planned to rejoice when Wallace signed elsewhere). They might even try to bring back Mendenhall (who has even less support on Steeler message boards than Wallace).

In order to make this happen, they may have to make some tough calls on popular Steeler stars (something that Tomlin did once upon a time with Joey Porter). Folks here may not like moves like this, but locking up young talent and parting ways with older pricey players has long been a Steeler staple. Now that a bit of time has passed since our last Super Bowl appearance in 2010 and our last Super Bowl victory in 2008, the front office may go back to this youth-centric way of business as opposing to continuing to hold on to Super Bowl heroes.

So true, a lot of contracts are up and others will be torn up and the Steelers will decide if they want all three. Any one remember years ago when the discussion was about keeping Timmons, Harrison and Woodley and they all received huge contracts. They will and can keep who the choose to.

Oviedo
01-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Is wexell the same reporter that came up Bruce A to be fired 3yrs ago. Wallace wanted to be on the team before the season started, I think frustration is talking enough money would make him stay. There Are going to be reports on both sides. I heard a report last week on BNG radio that RM and Wallace were in negotiation with the Steelers.

IMO Wallace never wanted to stay which is why he did the exact opposite of what the Steelers wanted him to do. He doesn't like the fans having another favorite WR in Antonio Brown. I think he was realistically gone from start of the season.

BigRob
01-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Like I said...

Wallace will see if he can get more from someone else before signing any deal with the Steelers. You really think a team like Cleveland, Redskins, or other cap rich teams won't be looking to sign him?

We have our own cap issues, and we have young players that need signed. Lewis, Allen, Sanders (A good #3 receiver). We're an 8-8 team with a lot of changes that need to be made.

Wallace is gone.

BigRob
01-07-2013, 03:08 PM
So true, a lot of contracts are up and others will be torn up and the Steelers will decide if they want all three. Any one remember years ago when the discussion was about keeping Timmons, Harrison and Woodley and they all received huge contracts. They will and can keep who the choose to.

How did that work out? I would say Steelers haven't exactly gotten their money out of those deals over the last two years. The only one who has performed is the one everybody dogs (Timmons).

Oviedo
01-07-2013, 03:10 PM

I hope they can keep Lewis and Wallace but there is going to have to be a seismic shift in the roster for them to do that. I completely agree that when you finish 8-8, and look bad doing it, that everything needs to be looked and no option not considered. The reality is I think we are entering a period much like we had at the late 90s where we have a couple of substandard seasons to restock the roster with the players who win another championship or two. We will then win a championship or two to send out Ben at the end of his career like his hero Elway went out.

Ghost
01-07-2013, 03:36 PM
He may be "taking his talents to South Beach".... Phins have $40+ million in cap space to use. Could be looking to make a splash (dolphin pun not intended).

BigRob
01-07-2013, 03:38 PM
He may be "taking his talents to South Beach".... Phins have $40+ million in cap space to use. Could be looking to make a splash (dopphin pun not intended).

They also have a very Snyder like owner in Stephen Ross. I could see them trying to get Wallace to pair with Tannehill.

Steelhere10
01-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Do you guys realize that only Brown and Cothery are the only wr that's under contract along with Gilreath and the season that Sanders had I just can't see the Steelers letting him walk.

Steelhere10
01-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Think about this, the ones saying Wallace don't want to stay because of Haley or jealous of Brown or what ever the reason if the Steelers offered him the right amount, do you really think he would leave.... Would you? I say He'll no!

Oviedo
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM

I agree. He IMO is the best of the beat writers.

BigRob
01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Think about this, the ones saying Wallace don't want to stay because of Haley or jealous of Brown or what ever the reason if the Steelers offered him the right amount, do you really think he would leave.... Would you? I say He'll no!

I agree its about the money. Someone will offer him more to ply his services elsewhere than the Steelers would to stay. Plain and simple.

lloydroid
01-07-2013, 04:34 PM

It is hardly "all of a sudden." Since before last season, all Wallace did was hold out all through camp, gripe and moan, ask for an out-of-this-world contract and then suck on the field all season long. Do you really think new attitudes were formed "all of a sudden?" You are kidding, right? This team had bad chemistry, and Wallace was one of the major roots to cause it. Get the frick out of town, you punk.

Ghost
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
I agree its about the money. Someone will offer him more to ply his services elsewhere than the Steelers would to stay. Plain and simple.

I agree with Rob. It's not that the Steelers don't want him or don't think the team is weakened by his leaving; it's a matter of realistically dealing with their cap situation as well as the number of teams that have a huge amount of space, some of them willing to throw a ton of $$ at the fastest WR in the NFL. Love to be wrong, but just not seeing how PGH will compete. I don't think it will be a $1 or $2 million a year difference. Can't fault MW for taking the chance to take care of generations of his family.

Sugar
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
It is hardly "all of a sudden." Since before last season, all Wallace did was hold out all through camp, gripe and moan, ask for an out-of-this-world contract and then suck on the field all season long. Do you really think new attitudes were formed "all of a sudden?" You are kidding, right? This team had bad chemistry, and Wallace was one of the major roots to cause it. Get the frick out of town, you punk.

When did Wallace gripe and moan?? How do you know what he wanted in his contract when neither side was discussing that in public? What is it that makes you think that he was a cause of bad chemistry in any way?

Steelerphile
01-07-2013, 04:54 PM
The only really good reason, IMO, for lack of effort is bad health. Wallace was probably one of the healthiest players they had, so I would say his obvious malaise, in the effort dept., would be considered when the Steelers think about whom to sign. Wallace wants the big bucks, and I think he feels slighted by the amount given to Brown. The Steelers simply cannot offer him as much or more than they did Brown because they would then be rewarding lack of effort. That is generally not how they do things. So the only way I see them signing Wallace is if the open market completely falls apart for him and no one else wants to pay him much.

Contrast that to Lewis, who stayed on the practice field during Training camp when he was injured. Who set personal highs and really excelled and who tried to compete during the playoff drive when he was gimpy.

I think Mendenhall would also be considered to resign because even if sometimes dances and doesn't produce as much as fans want, I think he plays hard. You may question his attitude over not showing up for a game. Possibly was a misunderstanding. I don't see him as having a chronic bad attitude. He always seems extremely mellow.

supersteeler
01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Does anyone think the Steelers rushed to sign A. Brown? He got the money and wasn't the same WR as the year before, where Mike STILL led all receivers even having a bad year to his standards.

I agree too, that deep down the Steelers would still like to sign Mike but he wants the best offer he can get. I still think he is valuable and if he leaves anyteam that signs him will be better. Brown had that good year before this one on account of Wallace, no ones going to double cover Brown like they do with Wallace.

You know whats scary, if the Patriots would sign him.

feltdizz
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
They didn't rush to sign Brown.. they need to lock up a WR and IMO Brown is the better option. Sure the stats don't prove it but Nate Washington made big money running go routes and Sweed could have made big money if he had hands running the go route.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Lock up Lewis first...Then worry about Wallace. Lewis earned a new contract. Wallace may have damaged his value but I'm sure someone will pay him on his 2010-2011 production. I don't want Wallace to go anywhere but I believe Lewis will be locked up & Wallace will go elsewhere.

phillyesq
01-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I agree. He IMO is the best of the beat writers.
On this, we agree. :Cheers

phillyesq
01-07-2013, 05:44 PM
They also have a very Snyder like owner in Stephen Ross. I could see them trying to get Wallace to pair with Tannehill.

If Wallace leaves, which I think is likely but not a foregone conclusion, Miami is the first destination that comes to mind. They need a WR in the worst way and I can see Miami appealling to Wallace (it would appeal to me if I was a 20-something millionaire).

Slapstick
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
If Wallace leaves, which I think is likely but not a foregone conclusion, Miami is the first destination that comes to mind. They need a WR in the worst way and I can see Miami appealling to Wallace (it would appeal to me if I was a 20-something millionaire).

See LeBron James...

Slapstick
01-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Would it be scary for Wallace to go to New England? Oh, yeah...

Would New England outbid Miami for his services? Highly unlikely...

NorthCoast
01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Really growed tired of seeing short, weakling speed receivers. The Steelers need a stud WR that can outjump, outmuscle, a DB in traffic. The TD pas that Burress caught was what we have been missing from our WRs. He was covered well but it was all Burress. Where is the next Burress in the draft?

steelz09
01-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Signing Wallace is a waste of money that could be used to sign Lewis.

Get rid of Foote. Get rid of Mendenhall. Sign Max.

Oviedo
01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Signing Wallace is a waste of money that could be used to sign Lewis.

Get rid of Foote. Get rid of Mendenhall. Sign Max.

Yes. Yes. And Yes!

Chadman
01-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Nothing to worry about. No doubt Wallace will get overpaid by some "don't know what they are doing" organisation who will pay stupid money for a guy that's 'never done anything'.

In the meantime, the Steelers will have a ho-hum running game after we punt our only 'take it to the house' RB in Mendenhall (over rated bum who never proved he could play), and our pass catching TE will sit out half a year with injury.

But never fear, our $6.2 million, 780 yard per season, 4 fumbles, 5' 10", 1 year's worth of success WR will carry us into the playoffs.

Never fear, it's alllllll good.

At least Brown smiles a lot.

steelz09
01-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Nothing to worry about. No doubt Wallace will get overpaid by some "don't know what they are doing" organisation who will pay stupid money for a guy that's 'never done anything'.

In the meantime, the Steelers will have a ho-hum running game after we punt our only 'take it to the house' RB in Mendenhall (over rated bum who never proved he could play), and our pass catching TE will sit out half a year with injury.

But never fear, our $6.2 million, 780 yard per season, 4 fumbles, 5' 10", 1 year's worth of success WR will carry us into the playoffs.

Never fear, it's alllllll good.

At least Brown smiles a lot.

lol. No worries... we'll never win a SB with Suisham as our kicker anyways. Last time I checked, you need a kicker that can make a 50 yarder.

Chadman
01-08-2013, 12:00 AM
True.... Suisham has to go. Raiders drafted a Kicker in Round 1 once.... given that Suisham was just about the MVP this season, mayhaps the Steelers should look at investing in that area more this season?

:)

Keyplay1
01-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Ruthlessburgher said: "With this in mind, I think the team does what it takes to keep Lewis and Wallace on board (even if many fans on message boards planned to rejoice when Wallace signed elsewhere). They might even try to bring back Mendenhall (who has even less support on Steeler message boards than Wallace"

I have been compiling a bunch of questions based on all these up in the air situations being discussed in numerous threads recently. Of course, that would be 3 of the many facing the team this off season.

1. If the season started tomorrow would Wallace be here? -------Yes-------No

2. If the season started tomorrow would K. Lewis be here?-------Yes-------No

3. If the season started tomorrow would Mendenhall be here?----Yes-------No

I tend to agree with your stand on those tough calls. But only on the part where many fans do not expect or even care if either Wallace or Mendenhall leaves. The best part about that is they are fully aware that both of those players are generally regarded as #1 in their grouping.[me too] Nonetheless if I had to make a guess I do not think either will be here.

I can think of no reason why Lewis would not be here, but even that question is up for grabs.

BURGH86STEEL
01-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Wallace probably ends up in NE. NE looks like a serious destination for Wallace. I read somewhere that NE will be 35 million under the salary capp. Welker is aging and isn't signed to a long term deal.

supersteeler
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Wallace probably ends up in NE. NE looks like a serious destination for Wallace. I read somewhere that NE will be 35 million under the salary capp. Welker is aging and isn't signed to a long term deal.

Thats what I'm thinking too. They already average 35 points a game, he would just add another dimension to their offense and it would be scary!

Sugar
01-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Thats what I'm thinking too. They already average 35 points a game, he would just add another dimension to their offense and it would be scary!

Brady would only have to hit him for a long strike maybe once every 4-5 games to make all their opponents have to go out of their way to gameplan for it.

legend of polamalu
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Cant we put the franchise tag on wallace for the next 2 years? If so I would be in favor of this.

Oviedo
01-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Cant we put the franchise tag on wallace for the next 2 years? If so I would be in favor of this.

Unfortunately, our cap situation would make this highly unlikely unless you say goodbye to Harrison, Troy and probably one other well paid veteran.

Chadman
01-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Entertaining a thought in which the Steelers have 2 highly paid WR's on the roster, given the current cap situation, is a waste of your time.

The Steelers have their $6.2 million per year WR. It's all good. We don't need Mike Wallace. If that doesn't comfort you, just go back & watch the last quarter of the Dallas game...it'll ease your troubled heart.

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Mike Wallace: Whose Money Should Steelers Receiver Get?

BY PETE MARTIN (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON JANUARY 18, 2013

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/107/087/hi-res-155789704_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

If Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Mike Wallace isn’t worth “Larry Fitzgerald” money, then how much should the free-agent-to-be get in a new contract? How much is he really worth? The answers the team comes up with will define the 2013 offseason and may change the course of the upcoming campaign.

The Steelers wideout made headlines during the 2012 offseason when he demanded a contract on par with the one Fitzgerald signed with Arizona in 2011 that pays the Cardinals star $16 million per year. Wallace’s comments signaled that the Steelers receiver expected a similarly huge deal from any team looking to sign him.

Very few seemed to agree with Wallace’s perception of himself. The Steelers were clearly not impressed enough by the receiver’s estimation of his abilities to sit down at the table with the then-restricted free agent. Instead of negotiating, the team tendered Wallace and decided to revisit the issue when he became an unrestricted free agent after the 2012 season.

Though Wallace’s contention that his play has been on par with that of Fitzgerald’s seems all the more ludicrous following a 2012 campaign that saw him finish well outside the top 25 in most receiving categories, that he said it is understandable in the broader context. NFL players do not exist in a vacuum. Teams and fans can quantify a player’s performance independent of what his peers do, but cannot qualify it without stacking it beside others at his position. Without context, there are no rankings. Without rankings, every contract would look the same.

The problem with what Wallace said wasn’t that he said it. He and his agent were simply trying to frame the upcoming negotiations in a way that was favorable to their interests. In rejecting his demands, the team was doing the same.

Wallace’s error was that he picked a player who simply isn’t his peer in any sense of the word.

It’s not just that Fitzgerald was better when he was Wallace’s age. He was, of course. From age 23 to 26, the Cardinals receiver’s average Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement (DYAR), which measures a player’s cumulative value over that of a league-average replacement, was 311 per year. Since joining the league four years ago at age 23, Wallace average DYAR has been 261. Part of this difference can be explained by usage. Fitzgerald got about 50 percent more targets than the Steelers receiver during those four years.

It’s also not simply that Fitzgerald was more consistent than the Steelers wideout during his early years. Though he was that as well. The average deviation of Fitzgerald’s DYAR from its mean was 120 yards less than Wallace’s, meaning his performances between the ages of 23 and 26 were far more predictably excellent. Not surprisingly, the Cardinals star never had a season during that period like Wallace did last year, when the Steelers receiver’s DYAR was -49.

No, what really makes the comparison silly, regardless of the differences in output, is the fact that the two just bring very different things to the table. At risk of using a cliché, they are like apples and oranges.

Even if Wallace had had as many targets as Fitzgerald did at his age, his numbers and his impact on the game would still be completely different. The Cardinals receiver is big and physical, a nightmare matchup for smaller cornerbacks. His Steelers counterpart is lankier but possesses game-breaking speed that Fitzgerald doesn’t have. The likes of Fitzgerald will always have more catches, but the Wallaces of the NFL will pile up more yards if given the same number of touches.

So if not to Fitzgerald, then to whom should Wallace be compared? Like the Cardinals receiver, Roddy White, Brandon Marshall and Calvin Johnson are significantly bigger and more physical than the Steelers wideout, but lack his flat-out speed on deep routes. Also like Fitzgerald, they get a lot more usage than Wallace. For example, the percentage of the Bears’ passes that went to Marshall was twice as high as the Steelers receiver’s share of his team’s throws in 2012.

Receivers like Marques Colston of the Saints are also bad comparisons, as Wallace is not a similarly effective jump-ball target in the red zone. Measuring Wallace against wideouts like Wes Welker also doesn’t work. The latter is short, quick and adept at catching passes from the slot position, none of which describes the Steelers receiver.

From the Steelers’ perspective, the most preferable point of comparison for the purpose of negotiating is probably DeSean Jackson. The Eagles' deep threat signed a contract before the 2012 season that pays him a much more palatable $9.4 million per year. Convincing Wallace that his skills most closely match those of Jackson’s would allow the Steelers to offer their wideout a contract that would not completely destroy their somewhat delicate 2013 salary cap situation.

Jackson is one of the few players in the NFL with Wallace’s ability to get behind safeties and to change the course of a game in a single play. Not surprisingly, his numbers between the age of 23 and 26 are reasonably similar to Wallace’s. The Eagles receiver caught 212 balls for 3873 yards and 21 touchdowns. He averaged 18.2 yards per catch, and 3.9 receptions and 70.4 yards per game.

In his first four years in the league, Wallace amassed 235 catches for 4042 total yards and 32 touchdowns. He averaged 17.2 yards per reception, and 3.7 catches and 64.2 yards per game.

Wallace could and probably will argue, however, that he is a more complete receiver than Jackson. Though the percentage of their targets that came on deep routes was about the same from 2009 to 2012 (37.9 percent for Wallace and 38.3 for Jackson), the Steelers receiver’s proportion of deep balls has decreased from around 50 percent to approximately 30 as his role in Pittsburgh’s offense has increased. By comparison, Jackson’s has varied little, meaning he remains something of a one-trick pony.

Pittsburgh’s deep threat could and probably will also contend that this broader skill set has made him more demonstrably valuable than Jackson. The numbers back this up as well. The latter’s average DYAR from 2009 to 2012 was only 115, despite the fact that the Eagles receiver averaged nearly a full target more per game than Wallace.

A better comparison from Wallace’s point of view would probably be to another Jackson: Vincent of the Buccaneers. Though considerably bigger than his Steelers counterpart, the veteran wideout has a similar ability to stretch defenses on deep routes. More importantly from Wallace’s perspective, though, the other Jackson signed a deal with Tampa Bay before the 2012 season that pays the former Chargers receiver $11 million per year.

Interestingly, Vincent Jackson was the amended comparison Wallace hurriedly offered after his “Larry Fitzgerald” money comments fell so flat. Perhaps the Steelers wideout and his team got advice from a statistician, because the two receivers match up pretty well when it comes to their numbers.

From age 23 to 26, Jackson caught 195 passes for 3341 yards and 25 touchdowns. Though this is a fair bit less than Wallace’s output at the same ages, the then Chargers wideout’s yards per reception were 17.1, or nearly exactly the same as the Steelers receiver’s. This indicates that the difference in absolute output was almost entirely due to usage, as Jackson averaged about a full target less per game early in his career (5.4 to 6.4).

If the same number of throws had come their way during those four-year periods, their numbers would have been nearly identical. If both had averaged six targets per game, Wallace would have caught 220 passes for 3782 yards and 30 touchdowns. Jackson would have had 216 catches for 3693 yards and 28 touchdowns. Under that scenario, Wallace would have averaged 3.46 receptions and 60.1 yards per game, and Jackson 3.42 and 58.6.

Further evidence of the similarity between the two receivers is their respective average DYAR over the four years in question. At 240, Jackson’s was just 21 yards less than Wallace’s. And both were nearly equally inconsistent. The average deviation of Jackson’s from its mean was 177, while Wallace’s was 168, meaning they had similar swings in performance from year to year.

Wallace could further argue that at 27, he will be younger than Jackson was (29) when the latter played the first year of his big new contract. This means that the Steelers (or whichever team it is that signs Wallace) theoretically will get more good years out of the deal than the Buccaneers will get out of Jackson’s.

Pittsburgh, of course, could counter that the extra years of high-quality performance are what justified Jackson’s huge deal in the first place and that Wallace’s subpar 2012 is an indication that he is nothing more than a flash in the pan who will never again reach the lofty heights of his second and third seasons.

So, is Wallace DeSean Jackson or Vincent Jackson? Impossible to know at this point. And that's what makes contract negotiations so interesting.

Any team that signs Wallace won’t be paying Wallace for what he did over the past four years. At least, that's what the organization hopes. Instead, his present or future employer will be compensating him for his performance during the years to come.

If the Steelers choose to re-sign Wallace, hopefully they'll get Vincent at less than DeSean's price.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1490311-mike-wallace-whose-money-should-steelers-receiver-get?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers

steelz09
01-19-2013, 12:55 AM
Wallace isn't worth 10/mil / year and he reportedly turned that down. No thanks.. See ya.. Goodbye..

Sign Keenan Lewis. Sign Starks. Sign Foster

Cut Mendenhall. Cut Foote. Cut Colon. Cut Hampton. Restructure Ike. Restructure Harrison.

Sign Chris Ivory as a FA RB. Draft ILB/OLB/Safety/WR.

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2013, 01:06 AM
I think Miami's top WR target this offseason will be Greg Jennings (Philbin worked with him in Green Bay). If not him, then perhaps Dwayne Bowe. I'd say Wallace would be his third choice.

It would be interesting (and scary) to see Wallace opposite A.J. Green in Cincy. With Green always double covered, imagine Wallace flying through secondaries in single coverage. The Bengals have plenty of cap space, but Mike Brown is still notoriously cheap. Plus, Andy Dalton doesn't have the biggest arm, so Wallace's biggest strength may go to waste if the QB can't get him the ball deep consistently.

Wallace's best years were with Arians, so the Cards could make a play for him opposite Fitz (for somewhat less than Fitz money, of course). The Cards' QB situation is god-awful, but you'd imagine that potential free agent QB's would all make Arizona their first choice if they had Fitz and Wallace as weapons.

steelmann58
01-19-2013, 03:36 AM
I think Miami's top WR target this offseason will be Greg Jennings (Philbin worked with him in Green Bay). If not him, then perhaps Dwayne Bowe. I'd say Wallace would be his third choice.

It would be interesting (and scary) to see Wallace opposite A.J. Green in Cincy. With Green always double covered, imagine Wallace flying through secondaries in single coverage. The Bengals have plenty of cap space, but Mike Brown is still notoriously cheap. Plus, Andy Dalton doesn't have the biggest arm, so Wallace's biggest strength may go to waste if the QB can't get him the ball deep consistently.

Wallace's best years were with Arians, so the Cards could make a play for him opposite Fitz (for somewhat less than Fitz money, of course). The Cards' QB situation is god-awful, but you'd imagine that potential free agent QB's would all make Arizona their first choice if they had Fitz and Wallace as weapons.
I for one don't believe that Wallace will be back with the steelers in2013, and their is no way that Mendy will be back in 2013 just listen to Colbert.
The one FA that the steelers need to resign is Starks,noone one this team is capable to play LT.

NorthCoast
01-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Now that Chip Kelly has moved on from the NFL for another year. I started thinking about where Mike Wallace would play.

There are two possibilities in my mind. Washington and Cleveland.

Washington needs a burner on the outside for RGIII. Pierre Garcon is best when paired up with someone on the otherside. I could really see this happening. However.....

Cleveland has $47 million dollars in cap space as of today! This is per Peter King.

Cleveland is going to be sticking with Weeden for one more year. They have the cap space to dump into Wallace. A receiving corp of Wallace, Gordon, and Greg Little is going to look appealing to them.

It will also appeal to them to take Wallace from the Steelers.

This is my prediction for Wallace. Where do you think he will end up playing next year?

Only one problem with Wallace to CLE. Weeden is a pee-pee armed QB. Talk about Ben underthrowing??... Weeden would be worse.

SidSmythe
01-19-2013, 11:40 AM
I can see a panzy like Wallace wanting to go play in warm weather or somewhere on turf.

Since Al Davis is no longer alive it's hard to say at this point.

Sugar
01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
I can see a panzy like Wallace wanting to go play in warm weather or somewhere on turf.

Since Al Davis is no longer alive it's hard to say at this point.

If your biggest asset is speed, you don't have to be a panzy to want to play where you can make the most of your strength.

SidSmythe
01-19-2013, 03:02 PM
If your biggest asset is speed, you don't have to be a panzy to want to play where you can make the most of your strength.

He can go play in a dome or in warm weather and regardless he's still a panzy who won't fight for a ball that isn't perfectly thrown.

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Patriots to target Mike Wallace?

February 26, 2013 by Paul Jackiewicz

Not only did Tom Brady’s new contract free up some cap space to potentially re-sign Wes Welker, it could also help the Patriots finally acquire the deep threat they’ve been looking for.

As Ian Rapoport of NFL.com points out, Wallace “has always garnered” the praise of Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

Belichick and the Patriots know Brady doesn’t have a lot of time left in the NFL as he gets ready to turn 36 this year, they might be willing to overpay for a player like Wallace to try to get at least one more Super Bowl title.

It will be interesting to see what happens once free agency kicks off on March 12th.

http://network.yardbarker.com

feltdizz
02-27-2013, 08:38 PM
They were talking about Wallace on Charlotte radio. Basically said he would cost too much to bring to Carolina. I'm not sure if it's accurate but they used the $10 mill per year and said he wasn't worth it because he is one dimensional.

squidkid
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM

didnt wexell say woodley was the same size as he was a couple years ago and in the same shape?

pfelix73
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
My guess is, he's looking for property in South Beach. Miami Dolphins....

ikestops85
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
I still say Wallace will end up with the Rams. It will be very attractive for him to play in a dome on a fast surface. Bradford won't have any problem throwing deep to him and he will compliment Danny Amendola very well.

Oviedo
02-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Patriots to target Mike Wallace?

February 26, 2013 by Paul Jackiewicz

Not only did Tom Brady’s new contract free up some cap space to potentially re-sign Wes Welker, it could also help the Patriots finally acquire the deep threat they’ve been looking for.

As Ian Rapoport of NFL.com points out, Wallace “has always garnered” the praise of Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

Belichick and the Patriots know Brady doesn’t have a lot of time left in the NFL as he gets ready to turn 36 this year, they might be willing to overpay for a player like Wallace to try to get at least one more Super Bowl title.

It will be interesting to see what happens once free agency kicks off on March 12th.

http://network.yardbarker.com

I said a long time ago that the Patriots are the ones who I think will go after Wallace. They have a limited window of about 2-3 years to get that 4th Super Bowl with Brady. However, they will find out real quick that Mike Wallace is not Randy Moss.

feltdizz
02-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Umm... when have the Patriots ever paid top dollar for a one dimensional WR?

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Mike Wallace: 5 teams that will take a chance

Posted by Mike Presley on Feb 26, 2013

Pittsburgh Steelers’ wide receiver Mike Wallace is heading towards free agency and into the welcoming arms of some desperate wide receiver needy teams. Now don’t get me wrong, Dwayne Bowe and Greg Jennings will be other names teams will be going after, but Wallace is the best option for any team looking for a receiver.

One of the big benefits to signing Mike Wallace in the off-season is his speed. As anyone who has played the Pittsburgh Steelers can tell you, or any corner who has tried to keep up with Mike Wallace would tell you, you just can’t slow him down. Wallace admitted that he has lost his focus a bit with his new Steelers offense under Todd Haley, but when he is focused, Wallace is one of the best receivers on the field. These five teams need to make a play for him or face another year without a legit number one receiver.

http://thepenaltyflagblog.com/pittsburghsteelers/files/2013/02/Mike-Wallace-2.jpg

Mike Wallace could be calling one of these teams home.

Oakland Raiders: The Raiders were all about speed under Al Davis and I don’t expect nothing to change. Wallace would be an ideal candidate to be signed by the Raiders, especially if they add Geno Smith through the Draft. Geno will need some one to throw the ball to and Wallace would fit well in Oakland. A Smith to Wallace combination could be deadly and put the AFC West on notice that this isn’t the old Oakland Raiders.

Cleveland Browns: While his speed will fit in perfectly with what the Raiders look for, he also fits real nice in Norv Turner’s offense. Whether it is Weeden or someone else, the Browns need to find a perfect compliment to Josh Gordon who I believe will excel in Turner’s offense. Wallace by far is the perfect compliment and would do wonders for a Browns team that did better than their record indicated.

Minnesota Vikings: Adrian Peterson can carry the load by himself but that will just wear him out, the Vikings need some kind of passing game. Kyle Rudolph has become Christian Ponder’s favorite target but a speedy receiver like Wallace will allow the Vikings to open up their offense even more.

Seattle Seahawks: Wallace would add so much to an already dangerous offense led by Russell Wilson, this is a move that I can easily see them making. The Seahawks are already dangerous but Wallace could take them over the top as a Super Bowl contender. It also could put them over the top against the 49ers in order to take the division to help their chances in the playoffs by securing a home playoff game.

San Francisco 49ers: Speaking of the 49ers, while Randy Moss and Michael Crabtree are nice, I still say the 49ers need to find a legit number two guy across from Crabtree. One of the reasons why the Ravens were able to do what they did in the Super Bowl was because they got receivers who have speed. Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones and Anquan Boldin. Their best bet for an Atlanta type of offense would be to go out and get Wallace to help their chances of not only getting back to the Super Bowl, but winning it.

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/13023718?widget=true

Sugar
03-04-2013, 01:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145968/article/top-85-free-agents-mike-wallace-heads-best-available

Wallace is listed as nfl.com's top free agent.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2013, 10:12 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/601084_603462746348393_494562935_n.jpg

steelz09
03-28-2013, 10:15 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/601084_603462746348393_494562935_n.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Awesomeness