PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians New Coach Of The Browns?

supersteeler
01-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Its not out of question that they may consider hiring him even though they fired him as OC before he came on board with the Steelers.
It appears he has a good track record with young QB's, and as intrim coach for the Colts he's done a great job, the Colts won 2 games last season to 11-5 this year.

While he was OC of the Steelers, I thought he did a good job from the 20 to 20, but his red zone offense was his downfall.
Reflecting back on his job here, In Arians' final season with the Steelers, the unit boasted a pair of 1,000-yard receivers in Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown and a 4,000-yard quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger. They also sent four offensive players to the Pro Bowl for the first time since 2004.

I can't remember the Steelers having an explosive offense in recent memory no matter who the OC was, but that 79 team was as close as they got to being a high powered offense.
The jury is out on Haley but should he stay as OC and turn down the Cardinal job if offered, I think he deserves the opportunity to correct our offensive issues.
Remember, this offense was doing well until the injuries occured, then Ben got injured which didn't help matters. They were tops in third down conversions as Ben was having one of his best years until he got hurt.

If Arians has success landing a head coaching job all power to him, if Haley stays here all power to him as well, but if somehow Haley accepts the AZ job we might want to consider NorvTurner. I expect Todd to remain here, the AZ job isn't the dream job out there as they have QB issues.

If Todd does stay, I hope he throws out the running game by committee, we need one starter to get the majority of reps, Redman as our short yardage back. I feel Rainey should be used in the passing game, otherwise why did we draft him? He's a good returner but we nbeed to utilize his speed on the offense in a different way than trying to run up the middle.

Good luck to Bruce, and Haley for 2013.

Btw, Bruce might be in the running for coach of the year award. 2-14 to 11-5 is a remarkable job I would say.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Its not out of question that they may consider hiring him even though they fired him as OC before he came on board with the Steelers.

He's a better HC than OC, IMO.

fezziwig
01-05-2013, 11:51 AM
He's a better HC than OC, IMO.

X2.............he's probably a better anything than OC. If the Browns hire Arians back, the people of Cleveland/Browns fans will destroy him. I'v spoken to Browns fans before when he was with the team and away from the team and they couldn't get him out of town quick enough.
Arians isn't going to any team that doesn't have a great QB because he needs a great QB to shine.

fordfixer
01-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Browns are working out a deal with Chip Kelly.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Chip-Kelly-Cleveland-Browns-Jimmy-Haslam-closing-in-on-deal-010412?ocid=ansfox11 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Chip-Kelly-Cleveland-Browns-Jimmy-Haslam-closing-in-on-deal-010412?ocid=ansfox11)

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Browns are working out a deal with Chip Kelly.
(http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Chip-Kelly-Cleveland-Browns-Jimmy-Haslam-closing-in-on-deal-010412?ocid=ansfox11)

Report: Colt McCoy has been told he’s in Chip Kelly’s plans

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 4, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/mccoy-e1337742539103.jpg?w=250

Chip Kelly may be creating a quarterback controversy in Cleveland before he even gets the job.

With the Browns reportedly getting close to finishing a deal to bring Kelly from Oregon to Cleveland, a report from ESPNCleveland.com suggests that Kelly may like Colt McCoy, the 2010 third-round pick who started 21 games in his first two seasons, better than Brandon Weeden, the 2012 first-round pick who started 15 games as a rookie.

According to the report, Browns CEO Joe Banner told McCoy he is “in the next head coach’s plans.”

Of course, there are a lot of caveats here. For starters, Kelly has been spending his time coaching Oregon and watching tape of the Ducks’ Fiesta Bowl opponent, Kansas State. He hasn’t been watching tape of McCoy, Weeden or anyone else on the Browns. So any opinion he has about either quarterback is extremely preliminary. And even if Kelly did have plans for McCoy, those plans could change if McCoy struggled to pick up Kelly’s offense in minicamps, training camp or the preseason.

The reality is that we have no idea who the Browns’ quarterback will be this year. Maybe it will be Weeden, maybe it will be McCoy, maybe it will be a rookie the Browns draft, or maybe it will be a veteran the Browns acquire through a trade or free agency. But this much is clear: If Kelly is going to make this thing work, he’s going to need a quarterback who can run his offense. And just a year after the Browns selected Weeden in the first round of the draft, there are real questions about whether Weeden can be that quarterback.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/report-colt-mccoy-has-been-told-hes-in-chip-kellys-plans/

Sugar
01-05-2013, 03:22 PM
X2.............he's probably a better anything than OC. If the Browns hire Arians back, the people of Cleveland/Browns fans will destroy him. I'v spoken to Browns fans before when he was with the team and away from the team and they couldn't get him out of town quick enough.
Arians isn't going to any team that doesn't have a great QB because he needs a great QB to shine.

I suppose the same thing could have been said about Bellicheck.

kindlecatsb'ng
01-05-2013, 06:25 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_qb_brandon_we_5.html

Kelly is suppose to be in Cleveland for dinner today. The locals are on "HC" alert right now.

Kindle

BATMAN
01-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I suppose the same thing could have been said about Bellicheck.

Not that you asked me but I'd have to say no. Bellicheat in my opinion had the defense going on more than the offense in those days and plus, Bellicheat had and has the capability to get the most out of ever player. Whether that player is good or not. Arians on the other hand, he will hammer away his square peg into the round hole 24/7 without ever trying to work and adjust to his players. Arian is lucky to have Luck, Ben, Peyton. Any coach could do well with those three but Arians couldn't understand he needed to do more than just have Ben wing it down the field, the rest of the offense wasn't cut out for that.
We lost a lot with Arians when we had a younger/better offensive players under Arians and when we had a better defense back then. Art Rooney could see the truth. All these years the Rooneys never so much opened their mouths until Arians. So little said but so much to hear.

feltdizz
01-05-2013, 10:26 PM
We lost a lot with Arians? Yeah..... I know people hate the guy but let's not revise history.

...and when has a Brown fan known what's good for their team? Arians was a dropped pass away from winning a playoff game in Pittsburgh with Tim Couch. Yeah... Arians sucked in Pittsburgh, can't wait to watch Haley and the Steelers play in Baltimore tomorrow...

BATMAN
01-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Haley has come to a team on the decline. Arians had it all when he was handed the keys. I'm pretty sure Arians has missed the playoffs also at times. Whis had taken a rookie QB to the playoffs too and guess who got the credit, the rookie qb. It takes a qb to make the fortunes of a team and the coaches. Arians could never do the winning football except for when he has a super star of a qb.
In my opinion he stunted Bens growth as a qb. Ben in my opinion wasn't getting better under Arians, he was getting worse.
I guess Art Rooney doesn't know a thing about his coaches ?

feltdizz
01-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Haley has come to a team on the decline. Arians had it all when he was handed the keys. I'm pretty sure Arians has missed the playoffs also at times. Whis had taken a rookie QB to the playoffs too and guess who got the credit, the rookie qb. It takes a qb to make the fortunes of a team and the coaches. Arians could never do the winning football except for when he has a super star of a qb.
In my opinion he stunted Bens growth as a qb. Ben in my opinion wasn't getting better under Arians, he was getting worse.
I guess Art Rooney doesn't know a thing about his coaches ?

The Steelers had everything but a franchise QB for years... Whiz got credit and an HC gig. Ben flourished under Arians and we went to 2 SB with him. Was the offense inconsistent? Sure... But Ben is a pretty inconsistent QB who plays a different style of football than most QB's. One has to wonder how a horrible OC keeps getting jobs tutoring superstar QB's. Is he really that lucky? I don't think so... He likes to pass the ball and loves the vertical game. In todays NFL it works... Look at the ground game under Haley....uuuuugly. No different than the running game under Arians but we made the playoffs and had a winning record. Also look at our offense when Ben was out with Haley vs our O without Ben with Arians. The offense was never this inept with Arians.

Slapstick
01-06-2013, 10:35 AM
The Steelers had everything but a franchise QB for years... Whiz got credit and an HC gig. Ben flourished under Arians and we went to 2 SB with him. Was the offense inconsistent? Sure... But Ben is a pretty inconsistent QB who plays a different style of football than most QB's. One has to wonder how a horrible OC keeps getting jobs tutoring superstar QB's. Is he really that lucky? I don't think so... He likes to pass the ball and loves the vertical game. In todays NFL it works... Look at the ground game under Haley....uuuuugly. No different than the running game under Arians but we made the playoffs and had a winning record. Also look at our offense when Ben was out with Haley vs our O without Ben with Arians. The offense was never this inept with Arians.

When Ben was out with Arians as OC, we were fortunate to have a healthy o-line and a healthy Rashard...

This year, not so much...

feltdizz
01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Healthy OL? The OL was bashed like crazy back then and Arians was let go because the running game wasn't up to par.

pfelix73
01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Norv Turner is a loser. He'll end up on ESPN or NFL Network.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Art 2 should call the plays since he demands the running game regardless of the RB's or quality of the OL.
Guaranteed we go OL or RB in round 1.

BURGH86STEEL
01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
When Ben was out with Arians as OC, we were fortunate to have a healthy o-line and a healthy Rashard...

This year, not so much...

Ben only played an entire season once his entire career. Due to Ben's style of play it seems he's been injured almost every season. Ben missed the start of the 2010 season due to the 4 game suspension.

The Oline had 30+ starting combinations in 2011. 30+ Oline combinations were the most in the league. Even with the different Oline combinations that Steelers averaged 4.4 ypc. That was the teams highest YPC average since 2001 (4.8).

BATMAN
01-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Arians offense looked real good today against the Ravens and having the rookie Luck put up passing yard attemps that set a new record for rookies. The team, the owners, coaches and fans should be jacked they put that kind of pressure on a rookie QB. That's all Arians offense can give you, pass happy style and he will throw and throw not matter if it's working or not. Arians wasn't there today but the same result would have happened. He would have passed and passed and passed and he will continue to fight to place a square peg into a round hole.

Oh well, he's no longer the Steelers problem........ But it is too bad we didn't get more out of the talent the Steeler teams have had under Arians. Oh yeah, I see how much the Packers have suffered with the fullback that Arians would not have on his teams. Was his name Kuhn or something like that ? I'll watch the NFL replays and see if I can make out his name on the back of his uniform as he was scoring his touchdown and advancing to next weeks game. You can bet there's a guy that's happy he's not on an Arians offense.. Ever since Arians cut him he's only been apart of a Packers team that beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl and now moving forward to possibly another Super Bowl.
As great as Rodger is, they recognize needing Kuhn.

BURGH86STEEL
01-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Arians offense looked real good today against the Ravens and having the rookie Luck put up passing yard attemps that set a new record for rookies. The team, the owners, coaches and fans should be jacked they put that kind of pressure on a rookie QB. That's all Arians offense can give you, pass happy style and he will throw and throw not matter if it's working or not. Arians wasn't there today but the same result would have happened. He would have passed and passed and passed and he will continue to fight to place a square peg into a round hole.

Oh well, he's no longer the Steelers problem........ But it is too bad we didn't get more out of the talent the Steeler teams have had under Arians. Oh yeah, I see how much the Packers have suffered with the fullback that Arians would not have on his teams. Was his name Kuhn or something like that ? I'll watch the NFL replays and see if I can make out his name on the back of his uniform as he was scoring his touchdown and advancing to next weeks game. You can bet there's a guy that's happy he's not on an Arians offense.. Ever since Arians cut him he's only been apart of a Packers team that beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl and now moving forward to possibly another Super Bowl.
As great as Rodger is, they recognize needing Kuhn.

Teams draft QB's so they can pass, pass, and pass some more. The way to scoring the most possible points in the league is to have the ability to pass the football. You can disagree with the pass the football philosophy but it is the way to produce the most points possible in the NFL. The Colts and Ravens ran the ball well. The difference in the game was the Ravens QB passed the ball better then the Colt's QB.

It seems to me that people overrate the talent on the offensive side of the ball on the Steelers from the QB on down. If Ben doesn't perform like a top QB on a consistent basis the Steelers will continue to struggle to score points offensively regardless of the OC.

The infatuation with the FB position that some Steelers fans have is beyond me. The fullback position is not a big difference maker. The Packers offensive success hinges on Rodgers and his ability to pass the football.

feltdizz
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
LOL... Kuhn had 2 or 3 touches inside the 3 yard line... Clearly he was the difference between us winning the SB isms making the playoffs this year. I'm pretty sure the GB rushing attack hasn't been a threat the last few years but hey... He is the reason we missed the playoffs.

pittpete
01-06-2013, 07:56 PM
For anyone who wants to know, Arians wasnt even at the game
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/indianapolis-colts-offensive-coordinator-bruce-arians-hospitalized-illness-010613

BradshawsHairdresser
01-06-2013, 08:17 PM
For anyone who wants to know, Arians wasnt even at the game
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/indianapolis-colts-offensive-coordinator-bruce-arians-hospitalized-illness-010613
Even the Colts recognize he's a better HC than OC.

lloydroid
01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Arians was in the hospital.

thor75
01-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Did I hear today that Luck was the most hit QB this year? Big Ben plays reckless enough, he doesn't need the additional punishment that seems to plague Arians offense. I for one am glad he's gone.

fezziwig
01-07-2013, 10:56 AM
It's not about having or needing a fullback to win, it's about balance. It's about being capable of doing one thing if the defense is able to shut done the other. Why is it taboo to want to have a offense capable of ball control with the run game or to get the tough yards at an area of the field you shouldn't be trying pass attempts.

Ben is not good enough to sit back and air it out 40 times a game in my opinion. This offense needs the quality of some running to keep the defenses honest.

I'm not the type of fan that jumps for joy everytime I see the ball thrown or the scores running up. I want the entire product and I enjoy a good run game, a good defensive battle.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I always think that it is ridiculous to automatically give a head job to the guy who seems to be the most successful OC or DC at the time. They are two entirely different jobs.

Whatever you think about Arians as an OC, he proved very successful as an interim HC this season. You had a team awash in turmoil, coming off of an awful 2011 season, and with a rookie at QB, and held them on course to the playoffs. That is an undeniably solid accomplishment, and one that is worthy of another look by a team that needs a HC.

feltdizz
01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Did I hear today that Luck was the most hit QB this year? Big Ben plays reckless enough, he doesn't need the additional punishment that seems to plague Arians offense. I for one am glad he's gone.

..and Luck admitted he needs to throw the ball away more often and take less hits. Ben and Luck were hit a ton... Peyton Manning wasn't hit that much when he worked with Arians because he doesn't like to get hit.

Arians job is to teach QB's to air it out... it's up to the QB to recognize and respect the blitz and avoid contact.

We hired Haley to help protect Ben and he still ended up on a stretcher...

Sugar
01-07-2013, 12:13 PM

No matter how well protected a QB is, they are going to get hit sometimes. Brady has some of the best protection out there, but even he missed a season after a hit.

thor75
01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
..and Luck admitted he needs to throw the ball away more often and take less hits. Ben and Luck were hit a ton... Peyton Manning wasn't hit that much when he worked with Arians because he doesn't like to get hit.

Arians job is to teach QB's to air it out... it's up to the QB to recognize and respect the blitz and avoid contact.

Peyton is definitely the epitome of the cerebral QB and that helped with the decision making to avoid hits, I'd be hesitant to credit Arians a ton for that. It was only three years out of a 15 year career that Arians was QB coach for him.

feltdizz
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Peyton is definitely the epitome of the cerebral QB and that helped with the decision making to avoid hits, I'd be hesitant to credit Arians a ton for that. It was only three years out of a 15 year career that Arians was QB coach for him.

I'm not giving Arians credit..... I'm giving Peyton credit. People are quick to blame Arians for Ben's sacks when we all know Ben doesn't mind contact. I've seen Ben stare down a blitzer... take the hit, and then throw the ball. That's not how 85% of QB's play the position. Luck admits he is starting to learn how to take less hits and throw the ball away.

feltdizz
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
No matter how well protected a QB is, they are going to get hit sometimes. Brady has some of the best protection out there, but even he missed a season after a hit.

No doubt...

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2013, 02:04 PM

I agree, Arians' offense has a lot of seven step drops and slow developing passing plays that are conducive to a QB getting hit.

lloydroid
01-07-2013, 04:57 PM
I don't get it. I just don't. How can they not see that an interim head coach, in unusual circumstances (Pagano illness) is not the same thing as a legit head coach in normal conditions. Arians did a great job filling in for Pagano, with a rookie QB and so many young players. Yes, they had a cake schedule. But he still did a fine job - as well as you could possibly expect.

However, that is far short of proving he would make a legit head coach in typical conditions. In my opinion, he will end up making for a bad head coach. It was a perfect storm that led to success with the Colts. And wouldn't it be JUST like Cleveland to screw this up?

feltdizz
01-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I don't get it. I just don't. How can they not see that an interim head coach, in unusual circumstances (Pagano illness) is not the same thing as a legit head coach in normal conditions. Arians did a great job filling in for Pagano, with a rookie QB and so many young players. Yes, they had a cake schedule. But he still did a fine job - as well as you could possibly expect.

However, that is far short of proving he would make a legit head coach in typical conditions. In my opinion, he will end up making for a bad head coach. It was a perfect storm that led to success with the Colts. And wouldn't it be JUST like Cleveland to screw this up?

It's football... he may work out, he may not. It's not like Cleveland is coming off a SB win or deep playoff run and have a stacked team.

lloydroid
01-07-2013, 05:20 PM
It's football... he may work out, he may not. It's not like Cleveland is coming off a SB win or deep playoff run and have a stacked team.

Which is one of the points: They can't seem to ever get of the treadmill and get any better. They just keep spinning their wheels. And I don't see Arians making a difference to ending that trend. They don't have much talent because they keep FAILING in their drafts. It is never ending, but amusing.

fezziwig
01-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Ben made it to the playoffs his rookie season and won the Super Bowl the following season. I thought he did better under Whis than under Arians. Is it true that Ben didn't care for Whis and if so, why ?

supersteeler
01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
CLEVELAND (AP) - A person familiar with the interview says the Cleveland Browns will meet with Marc Trestman, coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes.

The Browns have scheduled their meeting in Chicago with Trestman, said the person who spoke to the Associated Press on the condition of anonymity on Monday because of the sensitivity of the search. Trestman's resume includes extensive time as an NFL offensive assistant. He has been with Montreal since 2008, leading the Alouettes to two CFL titles in his five seasons.

ESPN Cleveland first reported Trestman's interview with the Browns

feltdizz
01-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Ben made it to the playoffs his rookie season and won the Super Bowl the following season. I thought he did better under Whis than under Arians. Is it true that Ben didn't care for Whis and if so, why ?

We had a stacked team with leaders when Ben arrived. We were real close to missing the playoffs in 2005 before we went on an epic run. Definitely have to give Ben and Whiz credit for the Colts game but a lot f that success was due to 15 years of Cowher small ball.

Arians put our team in a position to win in the new NFL that favors passing.

I think the main reason Ben despised Whiz is because he was immature and wasn't used to practicing hard, running plays the way there were designed in practice, film, etc... Can you blame him though? If I went 13-0 my rookie year I would be a little difficult to work with my 2nd year.

BigRob
01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Haslam's finding its not as easy as you think to hire a coach. Good Luck Jimmy.

DBR96A
01-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Did I hear today that Luck was the most hit QB this year?

He's also developed a reputation for holding the ball too long, which is ironic because he was considered an excellent timing/precision passer at Stanford.

Eich
01-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Ben didn't like Whiz because Whiz yelled in his face. Ben outright said it. I'm sure that was one of the reasons Ben wasn't so fond of the Haley signing. He doesn't take well to being yelled at.

On one hand, I tend to agree with Ben. I'm far more motivated by people who are positive and treat you with respect than those who are hot heads. But at the same time, when you're making $100M, you should probably be able to work under either style.

I think at this point in his career and with what he has accomplished, Ben had hoped that the team would cater more to him than it does. Brady and Peyton have made those teams theirs and pretty much what they say goes. But Ben has things forced on him that he doesn't want and still hasn't gotten or hasn't been able to keep the tall receiver he's always wanted. I think he can thank his immaturity with the 2 assault accusations for all of that.

feltdizz
01-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Ben didn't like Whiz because Whiz yelled in his face. Ben outright said it. I'm sure that was one of the reasons Ben wasn't so fond of the Haley signing. He doesn't take well to being yelled at.

On one hand, I tend to agree with Ben. I'm far more motivated by people who are positive and treat you with respect than those who are hot heads. But at the same time, when you're making $100M, you should probably be able to work under either style.

I think at this point in his career and with what he has accomplished, Ben had hoped that the team would cater more to him than it does. Brady and Peyton have made those teams theirs and pretty much what they say goes. But Ben has things forced on him that he doesn't want and still hasn't gotten or hasn't been able to keep the tall receiver he's always wanted. I think he can thank his immaturity with the 2 assault accusations for all of that.

Ben wanted a big WR.. we went out and got Sweed but he sucked.

feltdizz
01-08-2013, 09:39 AM

The FO begged Ben to put the bike up or wear a helmet.... he didn't. 2 years later he drags the team through numerous off field PR nightmares involving the words rape and sexual assault. Ben hasn't made it easy on the FO.

Chadman
01-08-2013, 09:57 AM

The FO begged Ben to put the bike up or wear a helmet.... he didn't. 2 years later he drags the team through numerous off field PR nightmares involving the words rape and sexual assault. Ben hasn't made it easy on the FO.

Agreed- unlike Brady & Manning, Ben hasn't played 'squeeky clean'- which is bad normally, but worse when the Steelers pride themselves on 'character'.

That being said- it could be to the Steelers detriment that they haven't pandered to Ben a bit more than they have.

What is more 'right'- success or maintaining morals?

fezziwig
01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Maintaining morals always is the better path to follow.
I would like to see Ben as the leader, the man in charge like Brady and Peyton but, I don't think Ben has the supporting cast to do so. With how Ben wants things and the inability of the o-line, the receivers it isn't going to happen. Possibly with the small ball Ben can stay healthy, make things happen on a regular level and then hand over the reigns to him.
With Ben always getting killed be it his style , the o-line or the play calling it doesn't do well for Ben, the team the guy signing the checks.
How many season more do we want to see him limping around, dragging himself on and off the field. missing games etc ?
Rooney knew it was a time for change with the OC and Haley needs to be given a chance and respected. I believe the Haley situation here will never work out since Ben doesn't welcome the change.
With all this talk bouncing every direction, how is Arians health ? Any reports on it and when he will be back in the saddle ? I wonder how serious teams such as the Browns or any others are considering Arians ? This seems pretty serious for Arians to miss the playoffs, still be in the hospital and not much if anything being reported on what exactly is wrong with him. I didn't like him as our OC but, I do hope he returns to good health.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-08-2013, 10:56 AM

He did a good job and that has helped earn him an interview. He will not be blindly handed a job based only on his one season as an interim coach.

Slapstick
01-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Reportedly, Arians had an inner ear infection...

It's hard to call plays from the sidelines when experiencing severe pain, nausea and vertigo...while not life threatening, an inner ear infection is debilitating...

fezziwig
01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the update slapstick. Glad it wasn't life threatening.

feltdizz
01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
I thought it was food poisoning from taste testing Luck's food.

lloydroid
01-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Yes, _THAT_ Marc Trestman, from the 80s, currently coaching in the Canadian league. My Brown fans friends are so depressed that they stopped responding to me. They just can't stomach how badly their search for head coach has gone, after assuming they would land Chip Kelly.

BigRob
01-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Yes, _THAT_ Marc Trestman, from the 80s, currently coaching in the Canadian league. My Brown fans friends are so depressed that they stopped responding to me. They just can't stomach how badly their search for head coach has gone, after assuming they would land Chip Kelly.

He's been an nfl assistant before and has head coaching experience. Hell, probably would be a good hire for them.

Chadman
01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Well, they have to hire 'someone', don't they? Surely there is somebody out there that wants that job...

supersteeler
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
The Browns will be hiring coaches until the grand kids are on Social Security maybe longer. That team can't get it right, although I think they are headed in the right direction with the players they have especially defense. Their RB is a good one, and they have a decent offensive line.

They need to settle on one coach and make a committment to keep him for the longer term. Changing coaches too often leads to instability in that locker room.

As a Steelers fan I can't concern myself with what the Browns do, we have enough to contend with here in the Burgh. With an 8-8 record fans think the world ended, but I do understand the consern. There's no guarantee we turn things around but I believe we will reload and be a better team in 2013. One thing for sure, we NEVER want to be the Browns.:rolleyes:

fezziwig
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
I thought it was food poisoning from taste testing Luck's food.

LMAO !!!!!!!! I wish I would have thought of that one !!!!!!!!

Slapstick
01-08-2013, 09:36 PM

Trestman was Bernie Kosar's QB coach at the U of Miami and with the Browns. He was calling the plays for the 49ers when Jerry Rice set that receiving yardage record Megatron just broke. He was Rich Gannon's QB coach when Gannon won MVP. In five years in the CFL, he never won fewer than 10 games in any given season and his team won two Grey Cups. He's probably a better coach than Chip Kelly.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
rumor has it that Bruce Arians has a great chance to be the San Diego Chargers' new head coach, he is going to interview for the position on Monday and the Chargers' newly hired GM really likes Arians.

Crash
01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Of course he does. Their new GM worked for the Colts.

Eich
01-10-2013, 04:16 PM
I honestly don't see Arians as Head Coach material. He could certainly prove me wrong but he seems like such an awkward sort of guy to have that head role.

feltdizz
01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
He's already proved his haters wrong by succeeding in Indy... he is playing with house money, nothing to lose but a few games just like the rest of the coaches in the NFL.

NorthCoast
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Browns interviewing Whiz tomorrow.... wouldn't that be interesting?

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Browns interviewing Whiz tomorrow.... wouldn't that be interesting?

that will be his 2nd interview so the Brownies must be seriously considering Whiz...

BradshawsHairdresser
01-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Just saw that the Browns hired Rob Chudzinski, Panthers OC, as their new HC.

kindlecatsb'ng
01-11-2013, 07:34 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2013/01/rob_chudzinski_hire_stunning_a.html#incart_river_d efault

Kindle

supersteeler
01-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Looks like Bruce might get a shot at coaching San Diego, and we may see Norv Turner on the sidelines again as OC of the Cleveland Browns.

fezziwig
01-11-2013, 10:32 AM
I can hear it now in San Diego, " Air Arians " I can see Bruce doing well in SanDiego as a head coach. I said it last year that he would probably make a better HD than OC. I do wonder if he would hire a OC and if he does what will he instruct this guy to do ? I bet Arians takes a Steelers coach or two away with him.

Sugar
01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
I'll be interested to see if Haslem will keep Chudzinski if they struggle for a few years. Changing a culture doesn't often happen overnight. They have some building blocks- solid Defense and OL, bell cow RB. However, playmaker WR's and someone to throw it to them need to be addressed.

Slapstick
01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
I'll be interested to see if Haslem will keep Chudzinski if they struggle for a few years. Changing a culture doesn't often happen overnight. They have some building blocks- solid Defense and OL, bell cow RB. However, playmaker WR's and someone to throw it to them need to be addressed.

In Chud's offense, Derek frickin' Anderson went to the Pro Bowl and the Browns won 10 games...

Sugar
01-11-2013, 12:39 PM
In Chud's offense, Derek frickin' Anderson went to the Pro Bowl and the Browns won 10 games...

Which is good for them. However, he's now in charge of the whole enchilada. Guys live Norv Turner and Dick LeBeau are among the greats as coordinators. However, they have been sub-par as HC's.

It was wise, IMO, for Haslem to get a guy he could build a legacy with and not someone who already had an ego to satisfy.

supersteeler
01-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Our division is going to be a log jam at seasons end next year, 9-7 might win the division. The Bengals are improving and the Browns won't be a push over. The Rats are who we think they are.....Old Slow and done! :Clap

Turner will help the Browns O, and you heard it here first, he WILL be their OC.

Crash
01-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Actually he didn't. Anderson was an injury replacement.

fezziwig
01-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Looks like Bruce might get a shot at coaching San Diego, and we may see Norv Turner on the sidelines again as OC of the Cleveland Browns.

I wonder how much Rivers is going to love Arians after Arians offense gets him sacked 50 times a season ?

Sugar
01-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I wonder how much Rivers is going to love Arians after Arians offense gets him sacked 50 times a season ?

It all depends on whether he has more TD's, fewer INT's and a playoff appearance to go with them...

Crash
01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Yeah Rivers is great. Hasn't seen the playoffs in 3 years despite playing in the worst division in the AFC.