PDA

View Full Version : Haley to Arizona?

kindlecatsb'ng
01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Steelers were asked permission for AZ to talk to Haley about HC position.

Just heard on 93.7.

Kindle

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Andy Reid wanted to interview elsewhere, so the Bidwills are opening up the candidate competition...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
So how many "Take him Please" posts are we going to see. :stirpot

kindlecatsb'ng
01-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Sounded like Andy Reid was going to be hired in KC (with reports of him taking Heckert along with him).

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Bye Haley... I won't miss you.

flippy
01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I think AZ should go with Horton. Their D seems to be ok.

phillyesq
01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
So how many "Take him Please" posts are we going to see.

I really liked his offense early, but late in the season the offense was clearly the team's downfall. That said, I'm not sure that Haley deserves all the responsibility for that, even though some of his play calling left a bit to be desired.

Changing offensive coordinators on an annual basis is difficult from a continuity standpoint, but if he and Ben truly cannot work together, than perhaps this will work out for the best if Haley gets the job.

If Haley does get the AZ job, I hope that the Steelers call Chan Gailey.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I would like to see Haley stay, injuries on the OL stop. Then we'll see how we do.

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Need another Off Coord for everyone to complain about. Haley started the season too well and the complaints quota wasn't met.

It would be a mistake for Haley and us if he left. His offense was working until the OL became decimated by injuries.

flippy
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Take him Please.

Yours Truly,
Ben Roethlisberger

lloydroid
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Reid to KC. Why on Earth is AZ interested in Haley? Last HC gig = fail. Steeler offense, that he ran, = fail. What is the attraction?

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Why don't one of these teams looking for a coach hire LeBeau? I heard he is a "genius!":stirpot

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Take him Please.

Yours Truly,
Ben Roethlisberger

LMFAO!

So I guess you would lobby for Whiz to replace him...Right Ben?

Hmm...Haley to Arizona to be head coach and Whiz as OC & Grimm as OL coach. Is it possible?

ikestops85
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Need another Off Coord for everyone to complain about. Haley started the season too well and the complaints quota wasn't met.

It would be a mistake for Haley and us if he left. His offense was working until the OL became decimated by injuries.

:Agree

Throw in Ben's injury to go along with the O-line and I think that derailed Haley's offense.

Ghost
01-03-2013, 01:01 PM
If Ben put as much time and effort into working with Haley and the new playbook as he did being passive aggressive against it; this O could be unstoppable. I hope Haley stays and the Rooney's have the "stop being a whiny douche" chat with BB.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/12/27/haley-not-interested-in-head-coaching-job/

Eich
01-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Reid to KC. Why on Earth is AZ interested in Haley? Last HC gig = fail. Steeler offense, that he ran, = fail. What is the attraction?

Last time Haley was in charge of AZ's offense, they went to the Super Bowl against us.

I think few blame KC's woes on Haley.

And the offense he ran here this year had Ben on track for a fantastic year until injuries turned it upside down.

Head coaching changes are hit-or-miss. You can look at any coach with the glass half-full or half-empty. Andy Reid has the same number of rings as Haley. What's the attraction to him?

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/12/27/haley-not-interested-in-head-coaching-job/

Why would Haley ever be interested in AZ? If he learned anything in KC it should be you are doomed without a very good QB and AZ has no QB options. Why do you think it appears Reid may be leaning towards KC? Cassel is better than anyone in AZ and that alone should tell you how bad the AZ situation is!

Best thing for all involved is for Haley to stay here.

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Last time Haley was in charge of AZ's offense, they went to the Super Bowl against us.

I think few blame KC's woes on Haley.

And the offense he ran here this year had Ben on track for a fantastic year until injuries turned it upside down.

Haley had a potential HoF Qb in Warner last time in AZ. There is nothing there now. AZ will be a death sentence for any HC going there.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2013, 01:13 PM

So if Haley gets on the plane...What does that mean? Haley could say no to them and not interview. Todd Haley never thought he would get another chance at head coach. The Cardinals are the only team in the league that would give him a shot. Haley has a special relationship with the FO & Owner. I was a supporter to bring Haley here and one of the first to throw his name out. I also know Todd Haley would like to be a HD again. If Haley interviews...

Eich
01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Why would Haley ever be interested in AZ?

Money motivates. So does ego. Stroke 'em both enough and I could see him taking a head coaching job again.

If he learned anything in KC it should be you are doomed without a very good QB and AZ has no QB options. Why do you think it appears Reid may be leaning towards KC? Cassel is better than anyone in AZ and that alone should tell you how bad the AZ situation is!

Yes - QB is king in this league. Every coach hopes to find the next Tom Brady. It isn't the current QB in AZ nor is it Cassel. Chiefs will get a higher draft pick but both teams could find a QB in the near future.

Eich
01-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Haley had a potential HoF Qb in Warner last time in AZ. There is nothing there now. AZ will be a death sentence for any HC going there.

The question was why AZ would be interested in Haley. Answer is that the last time he coached their offense, they were in the super bowl.

The missing piece on most terrible teams is a franchise QB. Every coach thinks he can find one eventually.

I think AZ is more intersted in Haley than Haley is interested in them. But you never know. Money and Ego can make people do things you didn't think they'd want to do.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Why would Haley ever be interested in AZ? If he learned anything in KC it should be you are doomed without a very good QB and AZ has no QB options. Why do you think it appears Reid may be leaning towards KC? Cassel is better than anyone in AZ and that alone should tell you how bad the AZ situation is!

Matt Cassel threw twice as many INT as TD this year and was replaced by BRADY QUINN. Maybe he's better than the Skelton/Lindley mess Arizona was throwing out there late in the season, but you'd think that Reid could work with Kevin Kolb, since he has before with some success. If Reid takes the K.C. job, he'll likely be working with Geno Smith as his QB with the first overall pick.

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Matt Cassel threw twice as many INT as TD this year and was replaced by BRADY QUINN. Maybe he's better than the Skelton/Lindley mess Arizona was throwing out there late in the season, but you'd think that Reid could work with Kevin Kolb, since he has before with some success. If Reid takes the K.C. job, he'll likely be working with Geno Smith as his QB with the first overall pick.

I can't see any scenario in the world where Geno Smith is the #1 pick. The college ranks totally figured him out as the season went on. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith was still available at the end of Round 1 and KC had the ability to move up a couple of picks to get him. IMO KC will go defense with the top pick.

phillyesq
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Kaboly really is the worst of the beat writers. I can't think of a time when he's been right, and he's often too much of a coward to stand behind his incorrect assertions. He was the one who said Burress was signing two years ago and who said that Starks had no chance of returning this year (he removed his twitter report immediately after the signing).

steelz09
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
If Ben put as much time and effort into working with Haley and the new playbook as he did being passive aggressive against it; this O could be unstoppable. I hope Haley stays and the Rooney's have the "stop being a whiny douche" chat with BB.

I'm not sure we would be "unstoppable" but I agree with everything else.

fezziwig
01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
For those that want to slam Haley for his first season, an injury filled season then, you just don't like the guy.

Anyway, I don't care what good things happened to Haley back in the day in Arizona, he had a quarterback named Warner that got that team on the right track. Without a good to great QB, I think teams, coaches are always going to be behind the eightball.

In case your wondering who our OC will be if Haley does get the job, wonder no more. It will be our current runningback coach. From what I understand it was his job prior to the fire. With that, you can kiss the Steelers dreams of remaining a good team, reaching the Super Bowl while under the current coaching staff. I've already called it and I'll say it again. " If Tomlin can't improve what he does and what the others do around him, we won't see another Super Bowl for t least 20 to 25 more years. The whole cycle will need to go around from, crummy 500 teams with mid selections in the draft, losing on top of losing until another coach can come in and sign a bunch of undiscovered talent that can put us back in the drivers seat.

Be prepared for pre 70's teams all over again.

Snatch98
01-03-2013, 02:38 PM
I will be really surprised if he leaves for Arizona. As already mentioned that team needs a complete offensive overhaul. He has one of his "dream jobs" right now and with a couple of successful seasons under his belt the likely ability to go to a team he actually wants to coach in the future. He's said the same thing himself.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
For those that want to slam Haley for his first season, an injury filled season then, you just don't like the guy.

Anyway, I don't care what good things happened to Haley back in the day in Arizona, he had a quarterback named Warner that got that team on the right track. Without a good to great QB, I think teams, coaches are always going to be behind the eightball.

In case your wondering who our OC will be if Haley does get the job, wonder no more. It will be our current runningback coach. From what I understand it was his job prior to the fire. With that, you can kiss the Steelers dreams of remaining a good team, reaching the Super Bowl while under the current coaching staff. I've already called it and I'll say it again. " If Tomlin can't improve what he does and what the others do around him, we won't see another Super Bowl for t least 20 to 25 more years. The whole cycle will need to go around from, crummy 500 teams with mid selections in the draft, losing on top of losing until another coach can come in and sign a bunch of undiscovered talent that can put us back in the drivers seat.

Be prepared for pre 70's teams all over again.

So if Todd Haley taked the Arizona job and Kirby Wilson is named our new O.C., the Steelers will suck for the next quarter century?

lloydroid
01-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Why don't one of these teams looking for a coach hire LeBeau? I heard he is a "genius!":stirpot

I know you are just joking, but DL tried the head coach thing, and he is content to just be a DC and stay in Pgh until he retires. And he IS a genius! No one can figure out how you can blitz AND play zone. It is mind-boggling! They have lineman dropping into coverage and safeties rushing the QB! Who will ever figure out how to attack such a defense?!?

flippy
01-03-2013, 02:50 PM
So if Todd Haley taked the Arizona job and Kirby Wilson is named our new O.C., the Steelers will suck for the next quarter century?

At least he'd make a better OC than Amos Jones.

lloydroid
01-03-2013, 02:50 PM

BB does tend to be a whiny douche bag. He is one step away from being a Jay Cutler.

fezziwig
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Good, I thought you guys wouldn't have read between the lines because, I didn't want to come straight out and insult Tomlin or Kirby. There will be plenty of pitchforks and torches to go around when things go down the tubes.

I see Kirby with no play calling experience, more of Arians type stuff he will probably engage and Tomlin, doesn't have the smarts to know what is right or what is wrong with an offense. Art II figured that much out and did the job Tomlin should have done seasons ago by showing Arians the door. Is Haley Gods gift to the NFL ? No...but he's light years ahead of Arians and one season of a QB that doesn't back you and all the injuries is not an accurate measuring stick of Tod Haley. The guy deserves another two seasons if he does go to another team, God help us under Kirby.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
It is becoming very clear that the OC has no real control in Pittsburgh. In Arizona Haley had a SB winning QB and two good WR's so he threw the ball to the tune of having his offense ranked 4th in the NFL. In KC he had a decent OL and some good RB's so they ran the ball and had a decent offense. Dude has shown he can utilize the talents of the players to design an offense. Here in Pgh though where we have no OL healthy we need to run it 50% of the time no matter what.

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Good, I thought you guys wouldn't have read between the lines because, I didn't want to come straight out and insult Tomlin or Kirby. There will be plenty of pitchforks and torches to go around when things go down the tubes.

I see Kirby with no play calling experience, more of Arians type stuff he will probably engage and Tomlin, doesn't have the smarts to know what is right or what is wrong with an offense. Art II figured that much out and did the job Tomlin should have done seasons ago by showing Arians the door. Is Haley Gods gift to the NFL ? No...but he's light years ahead of Arians and one season of a QB that doesn't back you and all the injuries is not an accurate measuring stick of Tod Haley. The guy deserves another two seasons if he does go to another team, God help us under Kirby.

Arians led a team with much less talent to the play offs. Was he really that bad?

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Arians is in the playoffs with a rookie QB... where are we?

Snatch98
01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Arians is in the playoffs with a rookie QB... where are we?

Recovering. I really don't understand why people keep ignoring the injury factor. Yes teams have injuries, yes they are a part of the game AND YES we had problems beyond just injuries. However how is a team supposed to build any sort of momentum when week after week a main cog went down with injury? The list is long and distinguished AND we still finished 8-8. It then shakes out after the season that Ben is "too injured" to play in the Pro Bowl which I believe with a whole heart BECAUSE the guy didn't look like himself to close out the season. A few of those outside passes were down right awful, Derek Anderson awful. Yet here we are trying to place blame on Todd Haley. The same guy that had Ben upright more than he's ever been and putting up fantastic numbers. Let's just chalk this up to a bad year that had a whole lot go wrong. You certainly can't lay blame on any one entity AND despite all the CRAP. We still finished 8-8. Bottom line? Our fan base is BEYOND SPOILED and unreasonable. Give it a damn rest.

Steelhere10
01-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Todd Haley is now the front runner for the Cards job.

fezziwig
01-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Arians was in control of two offenses that were in the Super Bowl prior to him being appointed to OC The Colts had a horrible season without Manning, no one can deny that but, prior to that, their team was always a playoff contender. Just more proof it takes a good QB to win in this league. Arians has had the luxury of having future HOF qb's carry his sorry butt all these years.

lloydroid
01-03-2013, 05:51 PM
I think I would thrive as an OC if Kurt Warner was my QB. Right now, Haley is the front runner for the AZ job. So now what? We have to go through the learning curve again of a whole new offense? Who ever it is, better know how to freaking call plays and get a rushing attack going. I am so sick of rooting for a Steeler team that ranks near the bottom in rushing. It is pathetic. 26th in the league, with a paltry 3.7 apc. Horrific.

fezziwig
01-03-2013, 05:59 PM
I think I would thrive as an OC if Kurt Warner was my QB. Right now, Haley is the front runner for the AZ job. So now what? We have to go through the learning curve again of a whole new offense? Who ever it is, better know how to freaking call plays and get a rushing attack going. I am so sick of rooting for a Steeler team that ranks near the bottom in rushing. It is pathetic. 26th in the league, with a paltry 3.7 apc. Horrific.

I agree. For years now we had Arians that won't have a blocking back on his teams, a guy that only had three running plays in his offense. Now we have Haley, a first year man with the team that has seen more changes in his o-line than Mike Tomlin has quips. Top it off with Tomlins inability to name a starter but I really don't put too much heat on Tomlin for that. Mendenhall was coming off a bad injury the season prior, got hurt again. The other guys have had their bruises too. I still don't know why Dwyer takes himself out of the games and he seems to do it after he gets steam rolling or has the defenses on their heals.
If anyone thought Haly was going to change this offense into something better in just one season, take of the rose colored glasses.

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 06:31 PM
You guys sound crazy... Why would Haley want a HC gig without a franchise QB? Probably because his goal is to be a HC. If not... So be it but stop acting like Warner was this beast when Haley arrived. He was old, coming from the Giants and wasn't the starter when he arrived.

Also remember... They draft players every year and may find a journey man. As long as Fitz is in AZ I OCthink any OC would entertain taking the job.

It isn't ego or money... It's competition and Haley probably wants to prove he can succeed as an OC. He may lap think Ben isn't coachable...

I just think most coaches want to be HC's and you don't turn down a job because you don't have a a franchise QB.

NorthCoast
01-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Got mixed feelings on this one. Could be a case of two steps forward, one step back or vice versa. Finding another OC would be a step back, but if Ben and Haley truly didn't see eye to eye, this is one way to make a clean break.
As far Haley as OC, again, incomplete picture. One half season of outstanding play, and half season of total barf. One thought is that defenses caught up to Haley's scheme by mid-season and found it easily defensed. Other thought of course, the OL & Ben injuries screwed everything up.
So if Haley finds work elsewhere, so be it. If not, I can live with another season to see what Haley really is about. Anyway, if the O pans out next season, Haley would likely be in line for another HC.

Starlifter
01-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Haley already did a stint as a HC without a franchise QB. didn't work out too well. on the other hand, a few years of success in pittsburgh WITH a franchise QB and a solid organization can only help increase his value. HC pay isn't going down anytime soon and it seems owner tend to covet what they can't have. in other words, wait a year or two - try to win a SB with Ben and THEN cash in.

or go to AZ and be fired again within 4 years. the bidwells rank amongst the worst owners in the league.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Arizona has what, the 7th pick? I wouldn't be shocked to see Geno Smith drop in the draft or Arizona take a QB in round 1 or 2 and jump on the young QB train that half the playoff teams have ridden to the tournament. Haley got handed QB's in KC and Pittsburgh as well as in Arizona as an OC. Arizona went to the SB with Haley and Warner and Ben was having a career year under his watch before the OL fell apart (again) and Ben got hurt.

Chadman
01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
If he's offered the Cardinals job, he'd be a fool to turn it down. Head Coach jobs don't just get handed out like lolly bags. It's possibly the best job in sports, regardless of the team you are in charge of. Opportunity does not always knock a second time. This is why Butler is foolish- he should have accepted any DC job he was offered, instead of waiting for the Steelers job once Lebeau retires. Who can say when Lebeau moves on? More to the point, what if Tomlin has moved on by then? Is there any guarantee the next HC will give Butler the job?

If Haley gets offered the job, good luck to him. He got rough-ridden in KC & deserves a better crack at the big time. Unlike Whiz, here's hoping Haley is smart enough to not count on scrub QB's.

steelz09
01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Arizona has what, the 7th pick? I wouldn't be shocked to see Geno Smith drop in the draft or Arizona take a QB in round 1 or 2 and jump on the young QB train that half the playoff teams have ridden to the tournament. Haley got handed QB's in KC and Pittsburgh as well as in Arizona as an OC. Arizona went to the SB with Haley and Warner and Ben was having a career year under his watch before the OL fell apart (again) and Ben got hurt.

Geno Smith is a bust waiting to happen.

pfelix73
01-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Reid is supposedly building a new home in the SD area. Surprised he isn't looking at that job. Established QB and all. He'd do well out there. Maybe even take em to the SB next year....

pfelix73
01-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Geno Smith- lol. Yep- bust.

fordfixer
01-03-2013, 11:07 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-cardinals-permission-interview-haley-164619999--nfl.html
Steelers give Cardinals permission to interview Haley

The Steelers confirmed that they have given the Cardinals permission to interview offensive coordinator Todd Haley for their vacant head-coaching position.
Haley just finished his first year as the Steelers’ offensive coordinator. Pittsburgh’s offense finished 21st in the league and the Steelers did not make the playoffs.
From 2007-08, Haley was the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator before going to Kansas City to be the Chiefs’ head coach. He was fired during the 2011 season. Haley has spent time as an assistant with the Jets, Bears and Cowboys in his career.

fordfixer
01-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Arizona gets permission to interview Steelers’ Haleyhttp://triblive.com/mobile/3232904-81/haley-steelers-cardinals
By Alan Robinson
Sports Reporter

Published: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 11:44 a.m.
Updated 8 minutes ago

Only a week ago, Todd Haley said he was exactly where he wanted to be as offensive coordinator of his hometown Steelers.

The Arizona Cardinals apparently want to find out if Haley is interested in returning to another place he once called home. They were granted permission Thursday to interview Haley for their head coaching job.

Haley, 45, was the Cardinals‘ offensive coordinator when they lost to the Steelers, 27-23, in Super Bowl XLIII. The Cardinals thought highly of his work with quarterback Kurt Warner in an offense that was the NFL‘s fourth-best in 2008. Haley ran the Arizona offense for two seasons.

Haley became the Kansas City Chiefs‘ head coach in 2009, but he was fired late in the 2011 season despite having a 10-6 record and winning the AFC West the season before. He had a 19-26 record in three seasons with the Chiefs.

The Cardinals were interested in bringing back Haley last year as an assistant under Ken Whisenhunt, but the Steelers made him their offensive coordinator after Bruce Arians was let go.

Despite an up-and-down first season in Pittsburgh in which Ben Roethlisberger apologized for criticizing Haley‘s playcalling during an overtime loss last month in Dallas, Haley said he was happy being in Pittsburgh.

His father, Dick, once was the Steelers‘ player-personnel director, and Haley and his family built a home in Upper St. Clair, where he grew up.

“I have said a bunch of times ... this is where I want to be,” Haley said last week. “And I will occasionally say to coach (Mike) Tomlin, ‘This is a lot more fun than what you have to deal with.‘ You get to coach and work with the players on a daily basis and interact all the time.”

The Cardinals have interviewed former Steelers secondary coach Ray Horton, and they plan to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy this weekend, according to the Arizona Republic.

Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at arobinson@tribweb.com or @arobinson_Trib.

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 11:18 PM
When a coach says he isn't going anywhere it's another way of saying "show me the money"

..and Geno Smith is a bust waiting to happen.

Shoe
01-03-2013, 11:26 PM
If he's offered the Cardinals job, he'd be a fool to turn it down. Head Coach jobs don't just get handed out like lolly bags. It's possibly the best job in sports, regardless of the team you are in charge of. Opportunity does not always knock a second time. This is why Butler is foolish- he should have accepted any DC job he was offered, instead of waiting for the Steelers job once Lebeau retires. Who can say when Lebeau moves on? More to the point, what if Tomlin has moved on by then? Is there any guarantee the next HC will give Butler the job?

If Haley gets offered the job, good luck to him. He got rough-ridden in KC & deserves a better crack at the big time. Unlike Whiz, here's hoping Haley is smart enough to not count on scrub QB's.

I have to disagree. Taking a job you will likely fail at will likely mean the death of his HC career. The overriding point is to tie your fortunes to a franchise QB... he has that in Ben. He needs to hitch his wagon with him for a spell, and then he can write his ticket. Look at the genius that Tom Moore became with Manning (he was a pedestrian OC for us for years, with Bubby Brister and Mark Malone). Look at Mike Holmgren--genius with Joe Montana & Brett Favre, ham & egger with Matt Hasselbeck. Shanahan is a guru with RG3 and Elway... sub-.500 coach with names like Jeff Lewis, Rex Grossman, etc.

Another coaching job will come, if he sticks it out with Ben.

Snatch98
01-03-2013, 11:31 PM
When a coach says he isn't going anywhere it's another way of saying "show me the money"

..and Geno Smith is a bust waiting to happen.

Absolutely not and I don't understand why everyone is over thinking this Haley situation. Coaching the Steeler in any capacity is certainly one of his dream jobs, maybe he's just happy to be a coordinator. The article Ford linked says exactly that, that he's happy to be a coordinator because he REALLY gets to enjoy his players and coach them up week in and week out. I don't see him going anywhere and frankly I was pretty pleased with him post the Ben injury and the slew of other injuries. If this team had only stayed healthy and didn't get fumbilities we'd still be watching Steeler games.

Chadman
01-04-2013, 02:46 AM
I have to disagree. Taking a job you will likely fail at will likely mean the death of his HC career. The overriding point is to tie your fortunes to a franchise QB... he has that in Ben. He needs to hitch his wagon with him for a spell, and then he can write his ticket. Look at the genius that Tom Moore became with Manning (he was a pedestrian OC for us for years, with Bubby Brister and Mark Malone). Look at Mike Holmgren--genius with Joe Montana & Brett Favre, ham & egger with Matt Hasselbeck. Shanahan is a guru with RG3 and Elway... sub-.500 coach with names like Jeff Lewis, Rex Grossman, etc.

And that job will likely be replacing a HC that had a crappy QB. What's the difference to going for it now? HC's with good QB's don't tend to lose their jobs. It's up to the guy replacing him to not fall into the same trap.

Chadman says 'go for it' and create your own team. Hell, Bruce Arians has just shown the NFL how quickly things can change with the right players. And his team had a crappy QB last season.

Slapstick
01-04-2013, 08:22 AM
The NFL is an amazing recycler...of head coaches...

If Haley takes this and fails, there will be another opportunity...

BradshawsHairdresser
01-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Let's see...stay as OC on an 8-8 team whose franchise QB doesn't like you all that much...or be HC of a team where you can rebuild your way (with a chance to get your own franchise QB)...

If the HC job is offered to Haley, I'd be shocked if he turned it down.

Unlike some other voices, I don't think Haley's departure would represent a crisis for the Steelers' offense. Promote somebody that's already there (Randy Fichtner), and they won't have to completely overhaul what's in place, just make some needed adjustments. Not a big problem.

feltdizz
01-04-2013, 10:21 AM

Didn't Holmgren take Seattle to the SB with Hasselback? That's success in my eyes when you view the history of Seattle. It didn't work out long term but long term employment and HC aren't the norm. Holmgren was also the GM and that puts more pressure on your job IMO.

There is no death of a career if you fail at turning around a bad franchise.... Haley went 8-:D with Ben this year and if Ben isn't all in I can't see why Haley would stick around unless he truly wants to be an OC instead of a HC.

D Rock
01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
And that job will likely be replacing a HC that had a crappy QB. What's the difference to going for it now? HC's with good QB's don't tend to lose their jobs. It's up to the guy replacing him to not fall into the same trap.

Chadman says 'go for it' and create your own team. Hell, Bruce Arians has just shown the NFL how quickly things can change with the right players. And his team had a crappy QB last season.

Head coaching in the NFL has to be the crappiest job prospect there is. 90% of the time you are given a failure of a team that other people have left in complete disarray and told you have 1, maybe 2, years to fix it. If you don't get a team in position to draft a great young quarterback you can pretty much expect to be a failure too.

I'd say the only difference in Haley going for it now or at a later time is the quarterback prospects available this year look like they will just lead to another round of HC firings in a couple years. Unless of course he lucks into a great situation like Tomlin did where you get a team in their prime because the other coach has been around for awhile and wants out of the game. That's pretty darn rare though.

phillyesq
01-04-2013, 11:47 AM
The latest report for what it's worth:

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 1h (http://www.planetsteelers.com/Edwerderespn/status/287204446662975491) Steelers OC Todd Haley has not yet agreed to interview for Cardinals HC job and proceeding cautiously because he loves working for Steelers

pfelix73
01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Yea. Local radio is reporting he's staying in Pittsburgh..... I'm happy with that.

costanza2k1
01-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I'd like to see Haley work with Tomlin on hiring the next OL coach, seems like everyone has a decent one with scrap players...I'd like to see the OL coach who fits his offensive scheme.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
New HC don't often come into good situations. The Steelers have been the exception guys. When a team is looking for a new coach...Often he has been fired. Not taking a job because there is no franchise QB there is an understandable assesment but often it isn't a 1 year fix. The QB is either addressed in the draft or via free agency. The HC & owner know this.

Now that being said, coaches get into this game to move up. Some get there shot & fail. They return to coordinator or position coach & stay there. There are situations where coaches want to stay in a great organization because they don't want the burden of a HC position, or move the family, or feel they will be promoted within, etc. Sometimes it just becomes about the money or many think they have to move along to get a HC shot. Haley got his one shot & failed. He says he is happy here. He can be happy here but still follows his heart. Don't hold it aginst him if he does interview and/or takes the job.

I liked Haley came here and have no problem with him staying for next year. I felt he was something BB needed. If he wants another crack at HC...I would understand. I'm willing to bet many think it is really a win win no matter what happens. I'm not so sure that is the case because the replacement OC may not be a step forward or lateral. My gut is "If" Haley goes...It will be Wilson or Fichtner at the top of the list. The Steelers may not want back to back years of new system and Wilson & Fichtner may give them the best chance at some continuity & chemistry. That assesment is accurate but both of them as OC gameday playcallers is a big unknown at this level.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
I'd like to see Haley work with Tomlin on hiring the next OL coach, seems like everyone has a decent one with scrap players...I'd like to see the OL coach who fits his offensive scheme.

I would like to see jack bicknell jr get a call. Supposedly reid is bringing castillo with him as OL coach.

bidwell has a good track record with the giants and chiefs.

pfelix73
01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Tunch will fit in nicely. He can bring in his sidekick too.

flippy
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Couple thoughts:

1. Anyone ever consider Ben and Haley are besties and hiding it well. The Steelers might be the best team in the history of sports at manipulating the media. Think Joey Porter making Jeramy Stevens his huckleberry in XL to take the media spotlight off Ben. If Ben and Haley really didn't like each other, the Steelers would cover it up. Considering it's out there so blatantly tells me it's not true and it's meant to cover up something else.

2. Maybe the Steelers and Haley think he's just a stop gap and the team wanted Kirby all along and are just biding time so he could recover. And maybe Kirby is Tomlin's backdoor to giving Ben control. He's a RB coach and that would satisfy Rooney. He's got no clout, so that satisfies Ben. As much as I think Tomlin's in over his head, I also think he's a master manipulator.

Ghost
01-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Couple thoughts:

1. Anyone ever consider Ben and Haley are besties and hiding it well. The Steelers might be the best team in the history of sports at manipulating the media. Think Joey Porter making Jeramy Stevens his huckleberry in XL to take the media spotlight off Ben. If Ben and Haley really didn't like each other, the Steelers would cover it up. Considering it's out there so blatantly tells me it's not true and it's meant to cover up something else.

2. Maybe the Steelers and Haley think he's just a stop gap and the team wanted Kirby all along and are just biding time so he could recover. And maybe Kirby is Tomlin's backdoor to giving Ben control. He's a RB coach and that would satisfy Rooney. He's got no clout, so that satisfies Ben. As much as I think Tomlin's in over his head, I also think he's a master manipulator.

Flippy - step away from the tinfoil....

http://www.gaychristian101.com/images/why-use-photos-of-tin-foil-hats-on-the-beastiality-page-21330763.jpg

flippy
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Flippy - step away from the tinfoil....

http://www.gaychristian101.com/images/why-use-photos-of-tin-foil-hats-on-the-beastiality-page-21330763.jpg

Having a former governor so willingly wearing his tinfoil kinda legitimizes this type of thinking.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5024945058678256&pid=15.1

Although the fact that so many governors came out of the movie Predator throw a monkey wrench into that theory being legitimate most likely.

feltdizz
01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Couple thoughts:

drink some water

spyboots
01-05-2013, 04:35 AM
From Arizona's sports radio, Bickley and MJ:

When Cardinals first acquired Hoyer, Todd Haley told Whisenhunt that Brian Hoyer was better than any of the available QB's the Cardinals had at the time (Skelton, Lindley) and that he needs to start Hoyer immediately. Said Haley likes Kolb and thinks he is a system QB and can flourish in right system.

Insider with Steelers organization says Haley wants Cardinals job badly despite the facade he is letting on. Says Haley has to put facade because he wants to leave Steelers gracefully

Thinks Bruce Arians is the most underrated candidate and arguably the best playcaller. Says only three teams have scheduled interviews with Arians next week and none of these teams include the Cardinals

BradshawsHairdresser
01-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Insider with Steelers organization says Haley wants Cardinals job badly despite the facade he is letting on. Says Haley has to put facade because he wants to leave Steelers gracefully

Again, if Haley is given the opportunity to take this job, I would be shocked if he turns it down.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Todd Haley hasn’t said yes to Cardinals interview

Posted by Josh Alper on January 4, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/300x-107.jpg?w=250

On Thursday, there was a report that the Cardinals requested permission to interview Todd Haley for their head coaching position.

The Steelers can’t block Haley from taking the interview, but Haley can turn down the opportunity himself. According to Ed Werder of ESPN, Haley might wind up doing just that.

Per Werder, Haley has yet to agree to the interview because “he loves working for” the Steelers. It was a rocky first year for Haley in the role as he and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger never quite seemed to see eye to eye on the best way to run the offense.

Haley had a positive experience coordinating an offense run by Kurt Warner in Arizona before a somewhat less positive experience as the head coach of a Kansas City team quarterbacked by Matt Cassel. Given that, you can understand reticence about leaping into a muddled, to put it mildly, quarterback situation in Arizona even if things weren’t all that smooth in Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/todd-haley-hasnt-said-yes-to-cardinals-interview/

fordfixer
01-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Let's face it Haley knows that coaches seldom get fired from the Steelers. If his offense can produce winning seasons he can just about stay here as long as he wants

BradshawsHairdresser
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Let's face it Haley knows that coaches seldom get fired from the Steelers. If his offense can produce winning seasons he can just about stay here as long as he wants

That's what BA thought....

Maybe I shouldn't be the one making this point...I was one who was calling for BA to go.:D
I still do think it was time for a change, but the team had winning seasons while he was OC.

pittpete
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm beginning to have mixed feelings on this.
Offense looked OK in the beginning when the OL wasn't in shambles.
More and more I'm starting to accept that a really bad OL has been our nemesis.
BA was predictable as hell though.

Sugar
01-06-2013, 09:39 PM

Does it matter if you're fairly predictable if the other team can't stop it? I think the OL problems were probably more of the issue, though I could be wrong...

thor75
01-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Does it matter if you're fairly predictable if the other team can't stop it? I think the OL problems were probably more of the issue, though I could be wrong...

I agree, control the line of scrimmage, control the game imo.

ikestops85
01-07-2013, 04:33 PM

I don't know if anyone else saw the Colts - Ratbirds game but watching Luck in the Indy offense sure brought back some memories. You would see Luck drop back to pass and it was either a wide receiver screen or he would stand in that pocket forever waiting for his receivers to complete their routes. The guy took one helluva beating in that game.

Now back to the topic at hand. I wasn't real happy when they hired Haley. I thought he took the credit for other's work ... Whiz in Arizona and Weiss in KC. But he surprised me and by the time we beat the Giants I was really digging his offense. It seemed to frustrate the opponents defense with the way we converted 3d down after 3rd down. We started to get a little creative with our passing inside the 10 yard line instead of running the back up the middle for 2 plays and then throwing an alley oop to one of our undersized receivers.

Ben was staying clean and playing like an MVP, the line was starting to get confident, our TE was becoming unstoppable and then the next wave of injuries hit. We never seemed to recover from those injuries. I'd really like Haley to stick around so I can see him complete what he started with this offense. I think he can make it one of the best in the league.

feltdizz
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
The 3rd down conversion rate was great but I'm not sure if that was Haley or Ben... or both. Early in the year it didn't matter what the distance was... Ben was completing the pass to keep the chains moving but did we score a ton of points? Not really... did we make teams pay when we got the occasional TO... no.

Hopefully these things improve...

The one knock I had on Indy was the empty backfield on 4th and 2. That's an Arians staple I don't miss. No threat to run to keep the D honest. WTF?

The real problem with Indy is young players... they didn't look ready for playoff football and it showed. Ray Rice gave them a few chances too. Sure, you can knock Arians for a few things but we watched Indy play a playoff game and have a shot at advancing.

Slapstick
01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Arians didn't call that playoff game. He was in the hospital....

birtikidis
01-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Slap, it was still BA's offense. Just run even more ineffectually than usual

fordfixer
01-08-2013, 01:10 AM
That's what BA thought....

Maybe I shouldn't be the one making this point...I was one who was calling for BA to go.:D
I still do think it was time for a change, but the team had winning seasons while he was OC.
:D:D but BA didn't run the ball;)

ikestops85
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
I just thought it was interesting as I watched Luck stand in the pocket holding the ball for what seemed like forever before launching it downfield. It seems to be such a high risk/high reward offensive strategy. I think BA is lucky he had Ben and now Luck as his QBs to implement this offense. I don't think a Brady or a Manning could pull it off. Nor would they want to.

feltdizz
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I just thought it was interesting as I watched Luck stand in the pocket holding the ball for what seemed like forever before launching it downfield. It seems to be such a high risk/high reward offensive strategy. I think BA is lucky he had Ben and now Luck as his QBs to implement this offense. I don't think a Brady or a Manning could pull it off. Nor would they want to.

They would throw the ball much earlier than Luck or Ben...

ikestops85
01-08-2013, 05:14 PM
They would throw the ball much earlier than Luck or Ben...

I might have agreed with you had it just been Ben but with Luck handling it the same way I think it's the way BA designed the offense.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Ed Bouchette reported that Haley was in Arizona today interviewing.

Sugar
01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Ed Bouchette reported that Haley was in Arizona today interviewing.

It's funny because Haley's agent is denying it. He says that Haley is happy in Pittsburgh and not interested in the job in AZ. This probably means he's having dinner with the Bidwell's right about now.