PDA

View Full Version : Who was the Steelers' best back after all?

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Jonathan Dwyer 156 623 4.0 34 2
Isaac Redman 110 410 3.7 28 2
Rashard Mendenhall 51 182 3.6 20 0

JD has the most yards, and the highest yards per carry. Yea, it was really disappointing how he had zero endurance and waved his arm to get out of the game every time he had two carries in a row, but he was still out best back, no matter how you analyze it. I recall someone saying that would be the case if he got enough carries way back in July. I still will accept JD on this team as a _part time_ back, but we do need to find the bread and butter back; I don't think that guy is on the roster yet. I would take Lacy out of AL in the 2nd if he is there.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Don't forget:

Dwyer - 18 catches - 106 yards - 5.9 avg - 0 TD also 2 Fumbles
Redman - 19 catches - 244 yards - 12.8 avg - 0 TD also 3 Fumbles
Mendy - 9 catches - 51 yards - 6.9 yards - 1 TD also 3 Fumbles

phillyesq
01-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I think the best answer is probably none of the above. They all showed some flashes of playing well - flashes that mostly coincided with the play of the offensive line - and all showed terrible ineffectiveness at other times.

pittpete
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Dwyer, and if had been in decent shape things might have been different

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I think the best answer is probably none of the above. They all showed some flashes of playing well - flashes that mostly coincided with the play of the offensive line - and all showed terrible ineffectiveness at other times.

Dwyer was the only one who showed he could still make plays, even if the OL didn't make a hole. He kept plays going when they looked like there was nothing there. IR sometimes PLOWED through defenders when holes weren't there, but a little less effective. RM did bounce a few plays outside, but not enough. Only problem with JD was after a few (2) decent carries he took himself out of the game. In only ONE game did he NOT do this. And I thought he would be work horse from then on, but it didn't happen; he once again took himself out of the game ever few carries just as he had previously.

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Dwyer, and if had been in decent shape things might have been different

Like I said in another post, I thought the would "play" himself into shape, but that doesn't happen if you constantly take yourself out of the game after 2 carries. As soon as he was winded at all, he wanted out. Just doesn't have the drive to push himself. All he can be is a back up, as he is now. We need a bread and butter back. We don't have one. And I just don't think Mendy is the answer, if he hasn't been the answer yet after all these seasons. While will he all of a sudden be a quality back? It's not going to happen. All he shows are flashes. Just never quite breaks it loose.

steelfin
01-02-2013, 07:06 PM
I give you credit/props for backing Dwyer before the season started. He was arguably the best back, but that is not saying much.

He certainly was NOT the stud you made him out to be....

I think what we learned about the Steeler RBs this season is that:

-Neither Redman or Dwyer are lead backs in this league.

-Mendy is soft and has attitude problems (but we already knew this)

Chucktownsteeler
01-02-2013, 07:15 PM
IMHO, we did not have an NFL grade running back this season. I would like the Steelers to bring in a vet like DeAngelo Williams and draft a young back in the 3rd or 4th round, Ed Lacy perhaps.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
When the offensive line, specifically Willie Colon, was healthy, both Dwyer and Redman had 100 yard performances...

I don't think it is the RBs as much as it is the health of the offensive line...also, I think Haley will put all of our RBs in a better position to succeed next season...

They don't need a stud RB...the Pats do very well with role players at RB...they simply use them correctly....Haley will do this next year as he did in KC....

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 07:39 PM
I give you credit/props for backing Dwyer before the season started. He was arguably the best back, but that is not saying much.

He certainly was NOT the stud you made him out to be....

I think what we learned about the Steeler RBs this season is that:

-Neither Redman or Dwyer are lead backs in this league.

-Mendy is soft and has attitude problems (but we already knew this)

I agree, but I would like to make one differentiation: JD _WAS_ the stud back I thought he would be, but only for a few plays a game, as he has no endurance, hence can't stay on the field long enough to produce like a legit starting NFL back. But, he did make the kind of runs I thought he was capable of - making more out of nothing than Mendy ever has. He just can't carry it enough times without needing to come out. But he _DID_ prove that, when he is out there, he can make plays. But that isn't enough when he has to constantly come out of the game.

eniparadoxgma
01-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I agree, but I would like to make one differentiation: JD _WAS_ the stud back I thought he would be, but only for a few plays a game, as he has no endurance, hence can't stay on the field long enough to produce like a legit starting NFL back. But, he did make the kind of runs I thought he was capable of - making more out of nothing than Mendy ever has. He just can't carry it enough times without needing to come out. But he _DID_ prove that, when he is out there, he can make plays. But that isn't enough when he has to constantly come out of the game.

Guess what? Both Redman and Mendenhall also had flashes of good running. All three backs this year showed they can "make plays" here and there, but were mediocre the majority of the time. I like Dwyer and the way he runs but he is *not* this super-awesome-killer-RB that you tried to tout him as. Maybe with conditioning and more experience he will become better, but the same can be said of Redman and even Mendenhall. I'm not really sure what this thread is supposed to be about honestly.

eniparadoxgma
01-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Here's their receiving stats fwiw:

Dwyer: 18 106 5.9

Redman: 19 244 12.8

Mendenhall: 9 62 6.9

steelfin
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM

Now thats funny....thats like telling your girl that you are about to show her the best 15 seconds of her life...:D

I'm just playing now....but obviously we have different definitions of what a stud back should be. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a Dwyer hater by any means...

I was impressed with his performance this year. Hopefully he can continue to train and improve...and be the back we all want to see in black and gold...

Chadman
01-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Both Redman & Dwyer proved that they are decent rotational RB's this season, and can get 'hot' during a game. Both players lack that 'game breaking' ability that Mendenhall has, but Mendy is likely in a different colour next season. Batch didn't stand out at all this season, and the odds look against him. Rainey looks to be the Steelers version of the Chiefs McCluster- hopefully the Steelers can find the right role for him. A breakaway RB that can be used as a passing option and can play as the 3rd down back is required, not necessarily a 'stud' RB. It looks like the Steelers will not be making the RB position a 'large' investment position, and are happy to play the RB rotation game- which is fine, so long as the group are all capable.

Shoe
01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
When the offensive line, specifically Willie Colon, was healthy, both Dwyer and Redman had 100 yard performances...

I don't think it is the RBs as much as it is the health of the offensive line...also, I think Haley will put all of our RBs in a better position to succeed next season...

They don't need a stud RB...the Pats do very well with role players at RB...they simply use them correctly....Haley will do this next year as he did in KC....

Nail = head.
You don't need to waste a 2nd round pick on a RB. They are literally a dime a dozen. Neither Redman or Dwyer is a bellcow back; but in NFL 2000+, you don't need one.

Add Rainey and Batch to the mix, and I would feel good about going into the next season with that roster (and if need be, pick up a guy in the later rounds).

Ghost
01-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I just don't understand why Dwyer isn't in better shape. He almost didn't make the team the first 2 years (and I believe would have been cut if not for injuries) because he wasn't prepared. And this year he was better but still constantly calling to come out of the game. He's 23. He's listed at 5'11"/229 - it's not so big that a single play should wind him. How is this not being addressed by the coaching staff - give this dude an offseason plan to follow and monitor him throughout (he's admitted he has trouble with eating too much and letting himself go between seasons).

Ghost
01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
I'd also like to add that saying Dwyer was the best back for the Steelers this season is the same as being given an award for being the tallest person at a dwarf convention.

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I just don't understand why Dwyer isn't in better shape. He almost didn't make the team the first 2 years (and I believe would have been cut if not for injuries) because he wasn't prepared. And this year he was better but still constantly calling to come out of the game. He's 23. He's listed at 5'11"/229 - it's not so big that a single play should wind him. How is this not being addressed by the coaching staff - give this dude an offseason plan to follow and monitor him throughout (he's admitted he has trouble with eating too much and letting himself go between seasons).

I don't think it's conditioning of the body.... I think it's mental and I don't think he viewed this year as an opportunity to become THE MAN at RB.

It almost looks like Dwyer and Redman made a deal in practice to make sure they both get touches... I was furious when he ripped off a 9 yarder and waived to the sidelines.

flippy
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
I like Redman best. He's the most consistent in what he brings to the table. He's not a game breaker, but he gives everything, he runs hard, breaks tackles. I think he's the perfect 3rd down, short yardage, and give a guy a breather back. He's the least talented, but he's got the most determination to make something out of nothing.

I'd try to bring Mendy back and make him carry a football high and tight every hour of every day for the rest of his career. I do think it's fair to consider that Mendy and Batch were coming off injury. Both could be a different back next year.

I'm curious to see if Rainey bulks up any for next season? I'd use him as a WR. He's identical in size to Wes Welker.

Dwyer needs to go work out with Ike this offseason. Get him in shape. It's embarrassing to see him ask to come out after 1 5 yard carry.

I would try to bring in some UDFAs at RB. Get an OLine coach and improve the line and any RB will do.

papillon
01-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Mendenhall is still the best back on the team from a professional running back skill set standpoint. He needs to hold on to the football, unfortunately, that may have been his undoing this year.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm curious to see if Rainey bulks up any for next season? I'd use him as a WR. He's identical in size to Wes Welker.

That's odd, I consider Welker to be a solidly built shorter guy, whereas I consider Rainey's body to be more beanpole thin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Wes_Welker_1.JPG/220px-Wes_Welker_1.JPG http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/2660675/154881902.0_standard_352.0.jpg

8467thekraken
01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm a fan of Dwyer. He has barely toted the ball in the three years that he has been on the team. He's young. I think an offensive line of Starks-Foster-Pouncey-DDC-Adams healthy for the majority of a season would help deliver more of Dwyers potential. I also think he needs to be shown how to eat right and stay in good shape during the offseason.

If these two things happen, I believe Dwyer can do it. He has a running style that can be very successful in this league. To me he is the type of back that can get you a fresh new set of downs on a couple carries, breaking off 7 and 9 yard runs with authority.

I also think he is still maturing and growing up. He still has things to learn. Like perhaps there is a mental thing that is goin on with him. Can't be the physicality of the game. He was a thumper in college and continued that into the NFL. That's why I still think he has to really becoe a man or something like that.

But it would be a bad move to give up on this guy so soon. I think he has earned a shot at the starting job and if he get's his a$$ in shape and if the Steelers handle the offensive line issues properly I think we will have something.

NorthCoast
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
None of them remind me of Bettis, D Martin, or even M Forte.

For as bad as the Bears OL was this year (all starters except one missing parts of the season) Forte still managed over 1000 yds. Just sayin..