DB-Tracy Porter

BigRob
01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
QB-Matt Moore
RB-Mike Goodson
TE-Ben Watson
OL-Garret Reynolds
DL-Sammie Lee Hill

Yes to these, and add Larry Grant from the 49'ers. He is a younger version of Foote and played very well when called on to start last year for Patrick Willis.

Mick'sTeam
01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
I saw Brandon Jacobs was released by the 49ers. With our RB situation, is he worth taking a look at?

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
I saw Brandon Jacobs was released by the 49ers. With our RB situation, is he worth taking a look at?

They are heading into the playoffs and cut this guy loose right beforehand...shows you what they think of him. No thanks.

Mick'sTeam
01-02-2013, 02:53 PM
They are heading into the playoffs and cut this guy loose right beforehand...shows you what they think of him. No thanks.

I know he's been fairly vocal about his unhappiness in SF. I don't expect many on the board to be keen on the idea of giving him a look. I was big on him coming out of college, and at this point and looking at all possible RB options to try and fix our RB situation.

D Rock
01-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Tracy Porter. Absolutely. Getting him after an injury filled year could be a great value. If he can come cheap enough that will give great flexibility in figuring out what to do with Lewis and Taylor.

Dee Dub
01-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I would add Rey Maualuga to this list.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
I think Larry Grant would be a low-level but effective Steeler-type addition...

BigRob
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Hell No! No one does less with more athleticism than this guy.

BigRob
01-02-2013, 04:38 PM
I think Larry Grant would be a low-level but effective Steeler-type addition...

Not a world beater, but very much in Larry Foote's league and is much better in coverage. Replace a Larry with a Larry.

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Not a world beater, but very much in Larry Foote's league and is much better in coverage. Replace a Larry with a Larry.

You can't have two Larrys. You can only have a Larry and two Darryls.

And, yes, I just made a way-outdated 1980's Newhart joke. So sue me.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Larry-Darryl1.jpg

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM

No way. He has always been overrated to begin with and now he isn't even what he once was. There is a reason SF dumped him; he isn't effective anymore. He once had some decent speed with his immense size. Now, all he has is immense size, with no speed which equates to a tackling dummy who stands up for a while as 5 defenders hit him. Kind of like the entire career of Ron Dayne. Just say no to BJs. There is also a reason Coughlin didn't try to keep him in NY. As I said in another thread, huge backs are only good for a few seasons, other than Bettis, who is the all-time exception of a big back with longevity.

Dee Dub
01-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Hell No! No one does less with more athleticism than this guy.

All I know is that he has improved every year he has been in the league and he is coming off a 120 tackle season, which is more than any one on the Steelers. And I believe in the Steeler defense (3-4 where he is better suited), with coach Lebeau, he would be even better.

BigRob
01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
All I know is that he has improved every year he has been in the league and he is coming off a 120 tackle season, which is more than any one on the Steelers. And I believe in the Steeler defense (3-4 where he is better suited), with coach Lebeau, he would be even better.

This guy is pillow soft and has next to no instincts. No thank you.

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
QB-Matt Moore - Yes, underrated back up who can win games.

RB-Mike Goodson - Yes, a pretty versatile big back who produces.

WR-Devery Henderson - Not sure I would pay much for him. Draft pick cheaper and as good.

TE-Ben Watson - Too old for my tastes. But I'd take him over freaking Pope, for sure.

OL-Phil Loadholt - Guy is massive. Would love him but will be too pricey for Pgh's tastes.

DB-Tracy Porter - Good player, will be too rich for Pgh's tastes.

Chadman
01-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Would add a few other FA options:
Kevin Smith RB Detroit
Domenik Hixon WR NY Giants
Chris Cooley TE Washington
Brandon Albert OT/OG Kansas City
Roy Miller DT Tampa Bay
Pat Sims DT Cincinnatti
Ron Brace New England
Gary Guyton LB San Diego
Victor Butler OLB Dallas

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Would add a few other FA options:
Kevin Smith RB Detroit

Has he EVER been healthy for a whole season?

Domenik Hixon WR NY Giants - Probably cost more than they will be willing to spend.

Chris Cooley TE Washington - Already cut and no one signed until Skins lost TE. Must be for a reason.

Brandon Albert OT/OG Kansas City - Has this guy panned out? I know he didn't earlier.

Chadman
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Has he EVER been healthy for a whole season?

Domenik Hixon WR NY Giants - Probably cost more than they will be willing to spend.

Chris Cooley TE Washington - Already cut and no one signed until Skins lost TE. Must be for a reason.

Brandon Albert OT/OG Kansas City - Has this guy panned out? I know he didn't earlier.

Smith certainly seems to carry the injury bug, and will have to be checked out, but he won't be in high demand, and wouldn't be asked to carry the load in Pittsburgh, just be part of the rotation.

Not sure what kind of market Hixon will demand- there are a few bigger name WR's on the market, and Hixon is the 3rd/4th WR in New York. He fits the bigger WR need in Pittsburgh though.

Cooley's problem is that he's older than teams want. With Miller coming back from injury, the Steelers might need a reliable pass catcher at TE early in the season.

Albert is an OG playing at OT. Move him back to OG, reckon you get yourself a steal. Plus- wasn't he drafted by our OC?

SidSmythe
01-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Smith certainly seems to carry the injury bug, and will have to be checked out, but he won't be in high demand, and wouldn't be asked to carry the load in Pittsburgh, just be part of the rotation.

Not sure what kind of market Hixon will demand- there are a few bigger name WR's on the market, and Hixon is the 3rd/4th WR in New York. He fits the bigger WR need in Pittsburgh though.

Cooley's problem is that he's older than teams want. With Miller coming back from injury, the Steelers might need a reliable pass catcher at TE early in the season.

Albert is an OG playing at OT. Move him back to OG, reckon you get yourself a steal. Plus- wasn't he drafted by our OC?

I don't think so. Albert was drafted the same year we took Mendenhall. Mendy got injured that year and we played Haley in the Superbowl when he was with Arizona. But they certainly have a relationship. How good that is?? guess we'll see if he comes for a visit. haha

Dee Dub
01-02-2013, 10:48 PM
This guy is pillow soft and has next to no instincts. No thank you.

We both know that isn't true. You cant get 122 tackles in the NFL if you are pillow soft and have no instincts. But I get it. Your agenda is flying high. Carry on.

phillyesq
01-02-2013, 11:23 PM
A few other options:

QB: In addition to Moore, Jason Campbell, Tyler Thigpen and Rex Grossman are all upgrades over Leftwich.

RB: A lot of blech. Jerious Norwood maybe as a change of pace type back? Goodson runs well when healthy but seems to always be hurt.

WR: I've always liked Greg Jennings, but he is all but sure to be out of the Steelers price range and has had injury issues the past few years. Sadly, if you need a free agent WR, the best one in the class is Mike Wallace.

DT: Terrance Knighton - young run stuffing DT, likely too expensive.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Chris Cooley TE Washington

very interesting thought Chadman. With Heath out for some of the season that would be a very good move.

Chadman
01-03-2013, 12:16 AM
very interesting thought Chadman. With Heath out for some of the season that would be a very good move.

Thanks mate- Heath will be a while getting back to full fitness, Paulsen could well be the next young TE, but they'll likely need an older guy to pick up the slack early until Heath is good to go. Doesn't have to be a long term option, which is why Chadman thinks Cooley could be a useful add, even if his value diminishes over the course of the season.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-03-2013, 01:59 AM
QB-Matt Moore
RB-Mike Goodson
WR-Devery Henderson
TE-Ben Watson
OL-Phil Loadholt
OL-Garret Reynolds
DL-Sammie Lee Hill
LB-Manny Lawson
DB-Tracy Porter

Love Porter... The rest.. meh. I also like half your sig...

steelblood
01-03-2013, 12:11 PM

He was good vs the run this season. But, he was awful vs the pass.

lloydroid
01-03-2013, 12:41 PM
A few other options:
Rex Grossman are all upgrades over Leftwich.

Rex Freaking Grossman? He is one of the worst QBs in the NFL, no matter what string you are talking about. Why would any team add that loser to the roster? There is no upside.

D Rock
01-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Rashad Jennings as a cheaper replacement for Mendenhall. Get him out of that mess in Jacksonville and he might be pretty good.

Dee Dub
01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
He was good vs the run this season. But, he was awful vs the pass.

Well of course, he is a MLB. Not many are great at it. But you could say the same about the guy he would replace... Larry Foote. And I believe that although he isn't great in coverage he is better at it than Foote is.

BigRob
01-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Well of course, he is a MLB. Not many are great at it. But you could say the same about the guy he would replace... Larry Foote. And I believe that although he isn't great in coverage he is better at it than Foote is.

I would rather have Larry Foote or Larry Grant. Both have proven they can play in a 3-4. Foote at least knows the system and your getting the same type of guy as Maualuga.

With Grant, your going to get him at a real bargain compared to Maualuga.

phillyesq
01-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Rex Freaking Grossman? He is one of the worst QBs in the NFL, no matter what string you are talking about. Why would any team add that loser to the roster? There is no upside.

Lefty has no upside, either, and Grossman would likely be able to finish a game. The Steelers need a veteran backup, and ideally they'll add a younger guy as well. Grossman could fill that role.

Dee Dub
01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
I would rather have Larry Foote or Larry Grant. Both have proven they can play in a 3-4. Foote at least knows the system and your getting the same type of guy as Maualuga.

With Grant, your going to get him at a real bargain compared to Maualuga.

You should read up up Maualuga. You dont know much about him. He played in a 3-4 at USC and also the first couple of years at Cincinnati.

And are you sure you are a Steeler fan? You seem to always want bargain basement players for them. Grant is coming a t a bargain for a reason. His play/talent is as such.

And I am not suggesting breaking the bank on Maualuga. If he comes at a good cost then yes.

BigRob
01-03-2013, 04:03 PM
And are you sure you are a Steeler fan?

Ask dumb questions much?

You should read up up Maualuga. You dont know much about him. He played in a 3-4 at USC and also the first couple of years at Cincinnati.

Don't need to read up on Maualuga. I have watched him since his USC days enough to know that he ALWAYS underachieves. He has ZERO instincts. I also know that he is no better than Larry Foote (who knows the system) and Maualuga sucks in coverage.

You can crap on Larry Grant all you want. He stepped in for Patrick Willis last year and played BIG time. He is a great fit in the 3-4.

Dee Dub
01-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Ask dumb questions much?

Don't need to read up on Maualuga. I have watched him since his USC days enough to know that he ALWAYS underachieves. He has ZERO instincts. I also know that he is no better than Larry Foote (who knows the system) and Maualuga sucks in coverage.

You can crap on Larry Grant all you want. He stepped in for Patrick Willis last year and played BIG time. He is a great fit in the 3-4.

See now you are changing what you said. You implied that Maualuga didn't fit a 3-4. And that is wrong.

How has Maualuga underachieved? He was a second round draft pick who has improved all 4 years in the NFL. Getting 122 tackles this last year is underachieving? And hpow do you do that if you dont have ZERO instincts? Makes no sense. But you have an agenda and it goes right along with it.

And for your information, Larry Foote can't over either.

D Rock
01-03-2013, 07:01 PM

And are you sure you are a Steeler fan? You seem to always want bargain basement players for them. Grant is coming a t a bargain for a reason. His play/talent is as such.

And I am not suggesting breaking the bank on Maualuga. If he comes at a good cost then yes.

I don't think that is correct. I believe Cinci has been a 4-3 defense as long as Maualuga has been in the NFL.

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Since Mike Zimmer joined the Bengals, they have run that Dallas 4-3 over...

Just as Pete Carroll at USC never changed from the 4-3 under that he runs now in Seattle...

BigRob
01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
See now you are changing what you said. You implied that Maualuga didn't fit a 3-4. And that is wrong.

How has Maualuga underachieved? He was a second round draft pick who has improved all 4 years in the NFL. Getting 122 tackles this last year is underachieving? And hpow do you do that if you dont have ZERO instincts? Makes no sense. But you have an agenda and it goes right along with it.

And for your information, Larry Foote can't over either.

Why bring in a guy that is another version of Larry Foote, when you can get Foote for cheaper?

I said I don't want Maualuga in a 4-3 or a 3-4. I don't like the guy as a player. period.

I have never been impressed with anything he does. There are lots of starting LB'er that get tackles, that doesn't make them all great. He's an average LB'er. What LB'er wouldn't get tackles with that D-line in front of him? He can't cover, doesn't get sacks.

What the hell does he do but tackle backs the D-line doesn't clean up? He's a pile jumper. Half his tackles were assist. Larry Foote had 13 more solo tackles.

He's part of the reason the Bengals had a bad rushing defense until they got Pat Sims back healthy.

Much better options exist to give us ILB depth until we draft one or get Spence back.

thor75
01-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Tracy Porter. Absolutely. Getting him after an injury filled year could be a great value. If he can come cheap enough that will give great flexibility in figuring out what to do with Lewis and Taylor.

Just a note on Porter: Since I live in Denver, I have to listen to their sports radio and Alfred Williams (former broncs DE) does a show and watches a lot of the games with former players and current front office guys. He says they take Porter out of the game a lot of times under the guise of "injury" because he is getting consistently beat.

Plus his high risk/high reward play seems at odds with LeBeaus philosophy imo.