PDA

View Full Version : Wallace Reflects on Season

phillyesq
01-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Good read from Dale Lolley re: Wallace:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20130101/SPORTS0403/130109941#.UOPGLITLj4Q.blogger (http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20130101/SPORTS0403/130109941#.UOPGLITLj4Q.blogger)

For what it's worth, despite his statement that he wants to return, Wexell has reported that he does not want to return to the Steelers.

MCHammer
01-02-2013, 11:45 AM
“I definitely wish things would have been better. But I wouldn’t change anything I did.”

This statement, referencing his holdout and behaviour during this time period, says a lot I think. Me first, I can do no wrong attitude, that shows why maybe the Steelers dodged a bullet with Wallace.

As if his Larry Fitzgerald money preseason posturing wasn't off-putting enough for a guy whose main talent is speed (Mike, I'd hate to break this to you, but you will lose your speed either to age or injury within several years). So Wallace shows up despite flashes in some games this season basically regressed due to his many dropped passses.

Now with the season over, is he humbled a bit? Nope.

I don't like watching talent go, but Wallace's attitude isn't worth the price of his talent, which he overestimates to his own detriment anyway. Statements like the above aren't going to make him any more attrative to other teams either.

Mick'sTeam
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM
So much for accountability. That guy seems totally clueless to me. Let him go and hopefully we get a nice compensatory pick in the 2014 draft.

Oviedo
01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
So much for accountability. That guy seems totally clueless to me. Let him go and hopefully we get a nice compensatory pick in the 2014 draft.

Just confirms Mike is all about Mike. Let him become someone else's Prima Dona.

supersteeler
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM
I think it did hurt Mike not being in camp but that was his decision and it backfired on him. The amount of money he was looking for isn't realistic, but IMO he could still help our team even with the baggage.
The Steelers gave Antonio Brown a hefty contract and he didn't live up to the amount he was given, dropping passes and making mistakes at critical time of a game, so Mike's not alone.
Even with his sub par season he still led all receivers in receptions so I wouldn't be so quick to close the door on Mike Wallace.

I can understand Wallace wanting the best contract he could get, but he made a mistake by not showing up for camp. He wants to be finacially secure for himself and family, every player wants that. Most players desire to get their best contract on the second one, they are one injury away from not playing anymore so again I can understand Mike's position.

In a way, maybe with Mike having a down year it will make him rethink his salary demands, and as bad as it looks now the Steelers and Wallace could still work out a contract just not the one he wanted. Between him and Mendy, he has a better chance to stay here maybe not a good one but still a chance. I would prefer to keep Mike and I believe the Steelers deep down would rather sign him if his agent gets his head out of his azz, and works out a contract that is reasonable for both sides
That he wanted Fitz money was put out there as a ploy, not by Mike but his agent I believe to get him the biggest contract possible or settle for a little less. That too, backfired on his agent, he can't command the money he wanted in the first place so the door could be still open and the bridge is there .

SidSmythe
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I've accepted the fact this was his last season this past preseason.
So glad the Steelers stepped up and just gave Brown his money.

Oviedo
01-02-2013, 01:09 PM
I think it did hurt Mike not being in camp but that was his decision and it backfired on him. The amount of money he was looking for isn't realistic, but IMO he could still help our team even with the baggage.
The Steelers gave Antonio Brown a hefty contract and he didn't live up to the amount he was given, dropping passes and making mistakes at critical time of a game, so Mike's not alone.
Even with his sub par season he still led all receivers in receptions so I wouldn't be so quick to close the door on Mike Wallace.

I can understand Wallace wanting the best contract he could get, but he made a mistake by not showing up for camp. He wants to be finacially secure for himself and family, every player wants that. Most players desire to get their best contract on the second one, they are one injury away from not playing anymore so again I can understand Mike's position.

In a way, maybe with Mike having a down year it will make him rethink his salary demands, and as bad as it looks now the Steelers and Wallace could still work out a contract just not the one he wanted. Between him and Mendy, he has a better chance to stay here maybe not a good one but still a chance. I would prefer to keep Mike and I believe the Steelers deep down would rather sign him if his agent gets his head out of his azz, and works out a contract that is reasonable for both sides
That he wanted Fitz money was put out there as a ploy, not by Mike but his agent I believe to get him the biggest contract possible or settle for a little less. That too, backfired on his agent, he can't command the money he wanted in the first place so the door could be still open and the bridge is there .

Its all up to Wallace where he plays. He can be a Steeler if he wants to be a Steeler, but as I have said for some time he doesn't want to be a Steeler.

Sugar
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
It's amazing to me that posters here still think they know what Wallace was asking for in the preseason. People have been throwing out that ill-sourced "Fitz-money" hokum all year.

supersteeler
01-02-2013, 01:20 PM
It's amazing to me that posters here still think they know what Wallace was asking for in the preseason. People have been throwing out that ill-sourced "Fitz-money" hokum all year.

Your absolutely right Sugar, he never demanded FIZ money, it was ill-sourced as you say.

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
I am totally uninterested in ANYTHING that comes out of this punk's mouth. He has zero credibility and has showcased his immaturity, selfishness and stupidity enough times that I know nothing he says has any substance or credibility. Where are the Wallace apologists now? He is a punk, and a one trick pony. Plus he plays lazy and unfocused and nothing is ever his fault. Losing him will be an addition through subtraction. Watch and see. He is part of the crap chemistry that ruined this season.

SidSmythe
01-02-2013, 01:45 PM
I am totally uninterested in ANYTHING that comes out of this punk's mouth. He has zero credibility and has showcased his immaturity, selfishness and stupidity enough times that I know nothing he says has any substance or credibility. Where are the Wallace apologists now? He is a punk, and a one trick pony. Plus he plays lazy and unfocused and nothing is ever his fault. Losing him will be an addition through subtraction. Watch and see. He is part of the crap chemistry that ruined this season.

Kinda like some posters on this board!! :)

phillyesq
01-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Kinda like some posters on this board!! :)

Zing!!!!!!

D Rock
01-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Even when Wallace says he screwed up and that he needs to take steps to make himself a better fit with the offense, people still find reasons to hate every word of it. Crazy.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I just didn't find that to be very reflective...

Wallace didn't say he screwed up. He said exactly the opposite...

skyhawk
01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
He will go to some other team and into oblivion. Bye bye.

steelz09
01-02-2013, 02:57 PM
I went from "not wanting to overpay Wallace" to not wanting him on this roster at all.

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Even when Wallace says he screwed up and that he needs to take steps to make himself a better fit with the offense, people still find reasons to hate every word of it. Crazy.

His actions speak so loudly, I can't hear what he is saying. You need to learn that lesson. Not only that, but most of what he DOES say illuminates how selfish, self-centered and immature he is. He basically provides clear indication of what a punk he is with most of his actions and words. So he said a few words that would seem to make him seem OK? But the rest of his words and actions completely invalidate those few words any how.

D Rock
01-02-2013, 03:08 PM
His actions speak so loudly, I can't hear what he is saying. You need to learn that lesson. Not only that, but most of what he DOES say illuminates how selfish, self-centered and immature he is. He basically provides clear indication of what a punk he is with most of his actions and words. So he said a few words that would seem to make him seem OK? But the rest of his words and actions completely invalidate those few words any how.

Thanks for the life lesson, Dad.

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the life lesson, Dad.

Reading the other responses, it appears you needed the lesson, son. The dude says a few words where he seems - only slightly - contrite and you just fall over, lapping it up and bending over. You must be easy to persuade. Wallace has proven to be nothing but a damn punk, and you can't even observe the very obvious.

D Rock
01-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Reading the other responses, it appears you needed the lesson, son. The dude says a few words where he seems - only slightly - contrite and you just fall over, lapping it up and bending over. You must be easy to persuade. Wallace has proven to be nothing but a damn punk, and you can't even observe the very obvious.

what do you mean by bending over? Please explain.

D Rock
01-02-2013, 03:25 PM
I find it amusing that Antonio Brown is getting paid 3x as much as Wallace, and had that money just handed to him, and yet he has been mostly invisible and underperforming all year yet no one cares.

As long as the guy who kept his mouth shut and tried to get the best deal he could, and "held out" while not under contract???, is still a Steeler than any other WR can do no wrong. Forget that the guy was still the best and most dangerous WR on the team even while adjusting the style he has always played with to work better within the new offensive style.

Wallace hasn't been any more absent minded than AB, and has shown more willingness to adapt his play than Big Ben, yet he is vilified constantly.

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
I find it amusing that Antonio Brown is getting paid 3x as much as Wallace, and had that money just handed to him, and yet he has been mostly invisible and underperforming all year yet no one cares.

As long as the guy who kept his mouth shut and tried to get the best deal he could, and "held out" while not under contract???, is still a Steeler than any other WR can do no wrong. Forget that the guy was still the best and most dangerous WR on the team even while adjusting the style he has always played with to work better within the new offensive style.

Wallace hasn't been any more absent minded than AB, and has shown more willingness to adapt his play than Big Ben, yet he is vilified constantly.

What kind of drugs are you on? Reality is foreign to you, for sure. Wallace wasn't anymore absent minded than AB? Wallace set a new world record for being unfocused and not giving an effort. The Genius Book of World Records has come calling. And yet, you still defend him? Any chance you want to defend Hitler?

Eich
01-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Its all up to Wallace where he plays. He can be a Steeler if he wants to be a Steeler, but as I have said for some time he doesn't want to be a Steeler.

For most players, being tied to a team isn't their goal. It's not like us as fans. It's a short-term career and they want to make the most $$ they can. I don't fault them for that.

At the same time, I think Wallace blew negotiations. He could've had a deal better than what Brown got. His future would already have been secured. Personally, I think taking the deal the Steelers offered would have given him the best overall combination of security & wealth (He could still have a career-altering injury in the offseason - like Suggs did). And Wallace could have continued to build his brand/image and made even more $$ with endorsements. But he and his agent decided that they'd play the game and find a bigger contract/payday elsewhere.

That left us with a less-than-dedicated Wallace this season and it showed.

D Rock
01-02-2013, 03:55 PM
What kind of drugs are you on? Reality is foreign to you, for sure. Wallace wasn't anymore absent minded than AB? Wallace set a new world record for being unfocused and not giving an effort. The Genius Book of World Records has come calling. And yet, you still defend him? Any chance you want to defend Hitler?

I think Hitler was one of the best public speakers ever and incredible at leading people, even if what he was leading towards was terrible.

and you really need to look up that book you keep referencing.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-02-2013, 03:58 PM
For most players, being tied to a team isn't their goal. It's not like us as fans. It's a short-term career and they want to make the most $$ they can. I don't fault them for that.

At the same time, I think Wallace blew negotiations. He could've had a deal better than what Brown got. His future would already have been secured. Personally, I think taking the deal the Steelers offered would have given him the best overall combination of security & wealth (He could still have a career-altering injury in the offseason - like Suggs did). And Wallace could have continued to build his brand/image and made even more $$ with endorsements. But he and his agent decided that they'd play the game and find a bigger contract/payday elsewhere.

Very well-written and money post.

Oviedo
01-02-2013, 04:21 PM

$$$$$

Wallace screwed the pooch and now he won't get a deal much different than what he turned down from the Steelers. A complete waste that he was so stupid.

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 04:24 PM
I've always said Wallace is a one trick pony who has average hands but the hate from the fans is ridiculous. I want him back at a reasonable price.

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM
$$$$$

Wallace screwed the pooch and now he won't get a deal much different than what he turned down from the Steelers. A complete waste that he was so stupid.

maybe he will.... maybe he won't... but it's his career. If I'm Wallace I walk into our office and put my stats in a down year up against Brown's with his new contract. Effe you... pay me more than Brown.

I'm a Brown fan too. Just think most Steeler fans are thinking about this as a fan and not a business decision.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Again, compare the per game average of both....

Wallace wasn't significantly better, if at all....

squidkid
01-02-2013, 04:59 PM
remember all the posters that wanted to give him 10+ per year?
remember how they said he wouldnt be a distraction?
how missing otas and training camo would hurt him?
how he is a top 5 wr in the league?

remember how I said the steelers should have reduced his tender when they had the chance?

D Rock
01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Again, compare the per game average of both....

Wallace wasn't significantly better, if at all....

Who was better as a measure of what they got paid to their production?

Brown cost the team nearly 3x as much per year for his new contract than Wallace did this year. Why does he get a free pass?

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Brown cost the team nearly 3x as much per year for his new contract than Wallace did this year. Why does he get a free pass?

I don't think he gets a free pass, but if you don't see the difference of the attitude between the two, then you might be suffering from an inability to perceive.

MW: Whined and whined about wanting a new deal, even though he was under contract. Didn't show up for any of the camps or pre-season. Made comments showing a non-team attitude. When he finally did show, he played obviously with less than full effort and I mean OBVIOUSLY. Dropped endless balls, didn't hustle ever, and didn't bother to touch Dallas CB for the game-losing int. Just didn't bother.

AB: Never breathed a word about demanding a new contract. Showed up for all team camps. Took what is considered to be a pretty fair deal with new contract, seen hustling every time the ball was thrown to him ACCEPT the one play where he inexplicably didn't fall on the ball in the end zone vs. SD. Had some drops, but, from the common sense eye test, were not from lacking focus or effort. Even though not a stellar season, the cause was NOT from lack of effort. HUGE difference between that and MW. GIANT, COLOSSAL difference.

D Rock
01-02-2013, 05:18 PM
I don't think he gets a free pass, but if you don't see the difference of the attitude between the two, then you might be suffering from an inability to perceive.

MW: Whined and whined about wanting a new deal, even though he was under contract. Didn't show up for any of the camps or pre-season. Made comments showing a non-team attitude. When he finally did show, he played obviously with less than full effort and I mean OBVIOUSLY. Dropped endless balls, didn't hustle ever, and didn't bother to touch Dallas CB for the game-losing int. Just didn't bother.

AB: Never breathed a word about demanding a new contract. Showed up for all team camps. Took what is considered to be a pretty fair deal with new contract, seen hustling every time the ball was thrown to him ACCEPT the one play where he inexplicably didn't fall on the ball in the end zone vs. SD. Had some drops, but, from the common sense eye test, were not from lacking focus or effort. Even though not a stellar season, the cause was NOT from lack of effort. HUGE difference between that and MW. GIANT, COLOSSAL difference.

Have you ever gone to work for a company that you're not employed by? Why would you expect a football player to do it?

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 05:18 PM

I didn't give Brown a free pass...for about three weeks, he may have been the dumbest player in the NFL...

My point was that Wallace could have proven himself the significantly better player between the two of them this year and didn't....

D Rock
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
I didn't give Brown a free pass...for about three weeks, he may have been the dumbest player in the NFL...

My point was that Wallace could have proven himself the significantly better player between the two of them this year and didn't....

That is true.

However, the Steelers have set the bar for where they value WRs financially with Brown's contract. I believe Wallace is worth more than Brown. This team's biggest problem is scoring points, not gaining yards, and until the last 4 weeks, Brown has never consistently been able to do that. Wallace has done that for 4 years now.

The Steelers dug their own hole on this one. Maybe Wallace wasn't worth what he wanted to them, but they also put a value on what a less impactful WR is worth to them, and now likely can't afford to pay Wallace at or above that level.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 05:26 PM
That is true.

However, the Steelers have set the bar for where they value WRs financially with Brown's contract. I believe Wallace is worth more than Brown. This team's biggest problem is scoring points, not gaining yards, and until the last 4 weeks, Brown has never consistently been able to do that. Wallace has done that for 4 years now.

The Steelers dug their own hole on this one. Maybe Wallace wasn't worth what he wanted to them, but they also put a value on what a less impactful WR is worth to them, and now likely can't afford to pay Wallace at or above that level.

And Wallace showed them that he is not as valuable as he thinks he is...I say Wallace dig a hole for himself just as deep or deeper than the one the Steelers dug...

D Rock
01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
And Wallace showed them that he is not as valuable as he thinks he is...I say Wallace dig a hole for himself just as deep or deeper than the one the Steelers dug...

I agree with that too. It would have been in the benefit of both parties to sign a 5 year deal for say 45 million last year. It didn't happen. But that doesn't make Wallace useless.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 06:08 PM
I agree with that too. It would have been in the benefit of both parties to sign a 5 year deal for say 45 million last year. It didn't happen. But that doesn't make Wallace useless.

I agree. It doesn't make Wallace useless...but "not useless" isn't worth any more than what the Steelers offered him...

Look at Matt Forte...his contract year, he played balls out...despite the fact that he was hurt, he was still given an appropriate contract...Wallace should have done that...

supersteeler
01-02-2013, 06:08 PM
I can understand the cold shoulder Mikes's getting here, he made some foolish decisions in dealing with the Steelers, however no one here can dispute he wassn't our best receiver the last three years. Yeah, he had a bad season this year but who didn't on that team except for Miller.
He lead the team in receptions every year and YPC average I think. He's doing what any other player would do except he went about it in the wrong way, and it hurt his relationship with the fans.
We have an OLB Woodley who had a terrible season, Ben the last quarter of the season and Brown considering his salary a sub par season. I mentioned these three, but there are others not just Mike.
If he can get a better contract with another team I'm not going to blame him, you would do the same thing, loyality went out the window years ago in the NFL its a business and fans need to realize that fact.
I'm not going to blame the Steelers either, I really think they wanted to sign him early on but he made a dumb move and the Steelers don't cave in for any player.
He's probably gone, so our offense just got weakened, there is no receiver on our roster who commands double coverage except Mike. Oh we can get by without him but we better get a run game going to make up for the difference or your looking at 8-8 seasons to be the norm.

Chucktownsteeler
01-02-2013, 07:13 PM
I can understand the cold shoulder Mikes's getting here, he made some foolish decisions in dealing with the Steelers, however no one here can dispute he wassn't our best receiver the last three years. Yeah, he had a bad season this year but who didn't on that team except for Miller.
He lead the team in receptions every year and YPC average I think. He's doing what any other player would do except he went about it in the wrong way, and it hurt his relationship with the fans.
We have an OLB Woodley who had a terrible season, Ben the last quarter of the season and Brown considering his salary a sub par season. I mentioned these three, but there are others not just Mike.
If he can get a better contract with another team I'm not going to blame him, you would do the same thing, loyality went out the window years ago in the NFL its a business and fans need to realize that fact.
I'm not going to blame the Steelers either, I really think they wanted to sign him early on but he made a dumb move and the Steelers don't cave in for any player.
He's probably gone, so our offense just got weakened, there is no receiver on our roster who commands double coverage except Mike. Oh we can get by without him but we better get a run game going to make up for the difference or your looking at 8-8 seasons to be the norm.
I think Mike played a little soft this season, afraid he was going to get hurt and lose his chance for a big pay day.

Chadman
01-02-2013, 09:40 PM

let's talk about perception and reality here:

Firstly, Wallace was NEVER under contract until he signed his tender, at the end of Training Camp. This is a massive misconception. Not only that, he NEVER publicly complained about the money being offered, as some want you to believe. Every report of this 'top 10' money has never had a Mike Wallace quote in it, ever. And if you can find he quote from Wallace where he complained about the Steelers offer, pease post it, because from here, never saw anything like a pouty Wallace comment about his contract at any time.

Did he underperform this year? Yeah, he did. Yet he still outperformed his WR peers, even without having. Training Camp to get to know the play book. Chadman would suggest you go back and look at the first half of the season again, though, before you start claiming there was no effort. The hate for Wallace has blinded many to the fact that he was going across the middle, getting hit, catching balls as well as any other WR on the roster.

Now, Antonio Brown never did make public claims about getting a new contract. Didn't have to- once the FO decided Wallace had rejected them once too often, they tit-for-tatted Wallace's contract offer and gave it to Brown instead. Want to talk about bad team chemistry? How do you think that sat for Wallace? Now, to claim Brown's $42 million deal is 'fair' is kind of laughable- 1 year of production equals $42 million? And how did that pay off? A down year, production wise, and multiple fumbles and dropped catches, or boneheaded running out of bounds at crucial moments of the game.

Wallace had some bad moments, for sure. But Chadman is struggling to think of when those moments cost the Steelers a game, and possibly, ultimately, a season. One only has to look at the 4th quarter against Dallas to see where Brown cost the Steelers a game.

ultimately, the Steelers will have to reap what they've sown with the WR's. If investing heavily in a 1 year performer over the multiple year performer is good business, Chadman is yet to see it. So far, the results on the field do not support the Steelers move.

Sugar
01-02-2013, 09:54 PM
:Clap:Clap:Clap Thank you Chadman for injecting a little common sense into the conversation. Thanks also for doing a lot of typing that I didn't want to!!

Steelhere10
01-02-2013, 10:21 PM
I agree with Chad on this one, both parties are to blame but yet the fans jump all over Wallace when players like Woodley have pulled the wool over their eyes he took the money and ran all over the Rooneys and the fans.

Chadman
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
I agree with Chad on this one, both parties are to blame but yet the fans jump all over Wallace when players like Woodley have pulled the wool over their eyes he took the money and ran all over the Rooneys and the fans.

To be fair, Woodley has years of production on his side to back up is contract.

Steelhere10
01-02-2013, 10:34 PM
To be fair, Woodley has years of production on his side to back up is contract.Yes but before the contract after he got paid what have he done ? Wallace had better production in his first 4 years than any player except for three ( I can't remember the names other than Rice ) But my point is since the Steelers value defense and not WR's they tried to low ball Wallace and it will cost them. Heck Woodley , Harrison and Timmons received what 50-60 million dollars contracts.

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Don't bring Brown up to try to defend Wallace...even if the Steelers were wrong to sign Brown, which remains to be seen, two wrongs do not make a right, as the saying goes...

IF Mike Wallace is a clearly superior receiver, he has not proven it over the last year-and-a-half...again, that's a year-and-a-half...that's not cherry picking...that's a drop-off in production to rival the dreaded "fiscal cliff" that has eaten up journalists' time for the last six months...

Sure, Wallace was not under contract and was not required to report to training camp last year...so, let's all commend him for doing only what was required of him and nothing more...if he had come to camp in good faith, the Steelers would have bargained in good faith...he didn't, so they didn't...and, if he had come to camp, by his own admission, his peformance would have been better this year...

But, he wouldn't have done anything differently...

Buh-bye...

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 09:51 AM
let's talk about perception and reality here:

Firstly, Wallace was NEVER under contract until he signed his tender, at the end of Training Camp. This is a massive misconception. Not only that, he NEVER publicly complained about the money being offered, as some want you to believe. Every report of this 'top 10' money has never had a Mike Wallace quote in it, ever. And if you can find he quote from Wallace where he complained about the Steelers offer, pease post it, because from here, never saw anything like a pouty Wallace comment about his contract at any time.

Did he underperform this year? Yeah, he did. Yet he still outperformed his WR peers, even without having. Training Camp to get to know the play book. Chadman would suggest you go back and look at the first half of the season again, though, before you start claiming there was no effort. The hate for Wallace has blinded many to the fact that he was going across the middle, getting hit, catching balls as well as any other WR on the roster.

Now, Antonio Brown never did make public claims about getting a new contract. Didn't have to- once the FO decided Wallace had rejected them once too often, they tit-for-tatted Wallace's contract offer and gave it to Brown instead. Want to talk about bad team chemistry? How do you think that sat for Wallace? Now, to claim Brown's $42 million deal is 'fair' is kind of laughable- 1 year of production equals $42 million? And how did that pay off? A down year, production wise, and multiple fumbles and dropped catches, or boneheaded running out of bounds at crucial moments of the game.

Wallace had some bad moments, for sure. But Chadman is struggling to think of when those moments cost the Steelers a game, and possibly, ultimately, a season. One only has to look at the 4th quarter against Dallas to see where Brown cost the Steelers a game.

ultimately, the Steelers will have to reap what they've sown with the WR's. If investing heavily in a 1 year performer over the multiple year performer is good business, Chadman is yet to see it. So far, the results on the field do not support the Steelers move.

I don't think it was a tit for tat thing with Wallace and Brown. The Steelers felt like they needed to lock up a WR.. if not Wallace why not Brown? The guy has his jersey in Canton, moves the chains, returns punts and has pretty solid hands.

Chadman
01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't think it was a tit for tat thing with Wallace and Brown. The Steelers felt like they needed to lock up a WR.. if not Wallace why not Brown? The guy has his jersey in Canton, moves the chains, returns punts and has pretty solid hands.

Signing Brown wasn't 'tit-for-tat', but signing Brown almost immediately after Wallace rejected the contract, to what was reported to be roughly close to what they offered Wallace, was. Go back to last off season & see where we were on resigning Brown- general consensus was 5 years, $20 million- or there abouts. Not $42 million. That's the money you give to the guy that had 3 outstanding seasons behind him, not 1.

Got nothing against Brown. The guy deserved to be resigned. The Steelers stupidly overpaid him though, because they have 2 guys on the roster that do the exact same job as him in Sanders & Cotchery.

They have nobody that does the job of Wallace on the roster though.

And no matter which way you want to slice it, Brown's production was way down this season, after 'getting paid'. Yet he doesn't cop half the spray Wallace gets. The reason Wallace cops the abuse here is because his percieved value of himself is higher than the majority of the fans. As if we pay his wages and all..

Chadman
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Don't bring Brown up to try to defend Wallace...even if the Steelers were wrong to sign Brown, which remains to be seen, two wrongs do not make a right, as the saying goes...

IF Mike Wallace is a clearly superior receiver, he has not proven it over the last year-and-a-half...again, that's a year-and-a-half...that's not cherry picking...that's a drop-off in production to rival the dreaded "fiscal cliff" that has eaten up journalists' time for the last six months...

Sure, Wallace was not under contract and was not required to report to training camp last year...so, let's all commend him for doing only what was required of him and nothing more...if he had come to camp in good faith, the Steelers would have bargained in good faith...he didn't, so they didn't...and, if he had come to camp, by his own admission, his peformance would have been better this year...

But, he wouldn't have done anything differently...

Buh-bye...

Brown has not outperformed Wallace for a year & a half. The second half of last year, yes- he outperformed Wallace.

Go back & look at the stats- Wallace was all over every WR on the roster this season- and he apparently mailed it in. Imagine if he'd been motivated like Brown must have been after being (over)paid...

"Defending Wallace" as it seems to be now known as, is only done because he's become Satan personified in this joint. The attacks on him are so rediculously biased, that bringing up comparisons to board favourites like Brown are the only way to try & show balance. It's easy to like Brown- he seems a quality guy. But to decide Wallace is all that ails the Steelers, and must be ridden out of town because he wants more than some here believe he is 'worth'.....well that's just not right.

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 11:28 AM
I have gone back and looked at the stats...Wallace has not clearly outperformed Brown this year...

Wallace per game averages: 4 catches, 55.7 yards, .5 TD

Brown per game averages: 5 catches, 60.5 yards, .4 TD

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Talking about Wallace at all is moot because he won't be a Steeler anymore. Let's talk about players who actually want to be Steelers and will help us going forward.

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Signing Brown wasn't 'tit-for-tat', but signing Brown almost immediately after Wallace rejected the contract, to what was reported to be roughly close to what they offered Wallace, was. Go back to last off season & see where we were on resigning Brown- general consensus was 5 years, $20 million- or there abouts. Not $42 million. That's the money you give to the guy that had 3 outstanding seasons behind him, not 1.

Got nothing against Brown. The guy deserved to be resigned. The Steelers stupidly overpaid him though, because they have 2 guys on the roster that do the exact same job as him in Sanders & Cotchery.

They have nobody that does the job of Wallace on the roster though.

And no matter which way you want to slice it, Brown's production was way down this season, after 'getting paid'. Yet he doesn't cop half the spray Wallace gets. The reason Wallace cops the abuse here is because his percieved value of himself is higher than the majority of the fans. As if we pay his wages and all..

Sanders and Cotchery aren't even close to Brown except that like Brown they want to be Steelers.

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't think Wallace is Satan...Brown wanted to be here and signed a contract...

Good decision by the FO or not, he will get the chance to prove that he's worth the contract...

Wallace said no to the contract and had a chance to prove that he was worth a larger one...he didn't...

phillyesq
01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Sanders and Cotchery aren't even close to Brown except that like Brown they want to be Steelers.

Agreed. Brown is a legit #2 WR. Sanders and Cotchery are appropriately slotted as third and fourth WRs.

D Rock
01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Agreed. Brown is a legit #2 WR. Sanders and Cotchery are appropriately slotted as third and fourth WRs.

I think Sanders can be a #2 with a dangerous WR on the other side who draws some doubles. Unfortunately, I don't think Brown is that guy. Cotchery's position on the depth chart is appropriate.

Tomlinator
01-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Wallace is not going to be a Steeler going forward.

His actions and attitude this season show he is only interested in one thing, and thats getting paid. And I have no problem with that. Its a brutal game and you need to take care of your financial well being. But he deosnt care about being a Steeler. I think like many NFL guys he doesn't care which team he's are on. He can wear blue and silver, teal and white, or black and gold, but the way he held himself this year shows he is only looking out for the $$$$.

It's funny how us fans scream about a Super Bowl every year while most of the players (I think) look to secure the money before they really worry about a ring.

As for paying our WRs, I think we overpaid a bit on Brown, but Wallace doesnt deserve any more then that contract. I also don't see Wallace as a team's #1 WR, but he'll find someone to pay him close to that level.

Ghost
01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
There are 9 teams with over $10 million in cap space. 2 of those have $20 million. Someone else will drive the dump truck of money up to his house just for his speed alone.

D Rock
01-03-2013, 01:38 PM
There are 9 teams with over $10 million in cap space. 2 of those have $20 million. Someone else will drive the dump truck of money up to his house just for his speed alone.

and that team will probably be the Colts. One of the best young QBs in the league, a coach who Wallace knows will be willing to send him deep all the time, and another speedster opposite him in TY Hilton to draw some safety coverage. From a business perspective, Wallace would be crazy not to pitch himself hard to the Colts. It helps that they might also have $40 million in cap space to play with.

Sugar
01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
and that team will probably be the Colts. One of the best young QBs in the league, a coach who Wallace knows will be willing to send him deep all the time, and another speedster opposite him in TY Hilton to draw some safety coverage. From a business perspective, Wallace would be crazy not to pitch himself hard to the Colts. It helps that they might also have $40 million in cap space to play with.

Of course, that changes a bit if Arians gets a HC job. Still, I can understand how a speedster would like to play on that field.

flippy
01-03-2013, 01:54 PM
I may be the only one who thinks so, but I believe Sanders still has it in him to be the #1 WR on this team. He's not as fast as Wally. He's not as explosive and doesn't have Brown's hands.

But he's precise, he has a knack for finding soft spots to get open, and he works hard. He catches my eye from time to time as a guy who's trying to contribute on every play. I really think he has a great work ethic. And we have to cut him some slack since he's had the nagging foot injury for a while and this will really be his first true offseason where he's healthy.

He's had a couple of miscues this season. But I'd like to see what he can do. He's capable. And if we get him on the outside, we could start to think about using Rainey some work in the slot where I think he could flourish long term.

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Wallace is not going to be a Steeler going forward.

His actions and attitude this season show he is only interested in one thing, and thats getting paid. And I have no problem with that. Its a brutal game and you need to take care of your financial well being. But he deosnt care about being a Steeler. I think like many NFL guys he doesn't care which team he's are on. He can wear blue and silver, teal and white, or black and gold, but the way he held himself this year shows he is only looking out for the $$$$.

It's funny how us fans scream about a Super Bowl every year while most of the players (I think) look to secure the money before they really worry about a ring.

As for paying our WRs, I think we overpaid a bit on Brown, but Wallace doesnt deserve any more then that contract. I also don't see Wallace as a team's #1 WR, but he'll find someone to pay him close to that level.

If he does... hooray for him. It's foolish to expect loyalty from a player when we all know a team will drop a guy in a heart beat if something better comes a long.

SS Laser
01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Speaking of Wallace. I was reading this article : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1465387-the-free-agent-each-nfl-team-can-least-afford-to-lose?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl#/articles/1465387-the-free-agent-each-nfl-team-can-least-afford-to-lose/page/26

It says Wallace "was targeted a team-high 116 times this season, but he caught just 64 of them for 838 yards." Is it true that he dropped or was over/underthrown 52 times? That sound like a lot.

Sugar
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
If he does... hooray for him. It's foolish to expect loyalty from a player when we all know a team will drop a guy in a heart beat if something better comes a long.

Are you implying that it's a two-way street?? :shock:

lloydroid
01-03-2013, 05:09 PM
If you walk the company line, the Steelers are often loyal to a fault. There have been plenty of players who were allowed to keep their starting positions, even though most other teams would accurately perceive that the players really should be benched or cut. How much overdue was the benching/cutting of Kordell Stewart, Kendall Simons, Gildong, Kirkland, Chad Scott, Deewayne Washington, Hampton, Troy Edwards, Mark Malone, et al? If you get in the "buddy buddy" system with the Rooneys, they let you stay and play longer than should be the case.

Steelhere10
01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Don't give up on Wallace yet, but I heard a report that the Steelers was in negotiation with his agent and also Mendenhall. Heard it on Black n Gold radio I heart.

Sugar
01-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Don't give up on Wallace yet, but I heard a report that the Steelers was in negotiation with his agent and also Mendenhall. Heard it on Black n Gold radio I heart.

I hope they sign them both the same day. The postings here would be GLORIOUS!!! Of course, some might need suicide watch...

Steelhere10
01-03-2013, 05:18 PM
I hope they sign them both the same day. The postings here would be GLORIOUS!!! Of course, some might need suicide watch...
No they will all jump for joy, and claiming that they wanted them to remain at a reasonable price as if they were writing the checks.. Lol

lloydroid
01-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Great, so they are working hard at getting locker room cancers back on the team? I don't buy it. They can't be that stupid.

Steelhere10
01-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Great, so they are working hard at getting locker room cancers back on the team? I don't buy it. They can't be that stupid.
The Steelers don't turn on players or change their mind on players because the fans want them to. They thought highly of Wallace before the season so what makes you think they all of a sudden feel different now because you do?

Sugar
01-03-2013, 05:48 PM
The Steelers don't turn on players or change their mind on players because the fans want them to. They thought highly of Wallace before the season so what makes you think they all of a sudden feal different now because you do?

You mean, the people who actually know what goes on in the locker room might have a different evaluation than a fan? What a concept!!

It really doesn't matter to me if they bring back Mendy and Wallace one way or the other. They do this for a living. I just watch (I like to watch... :cool:)

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 06:03 PM
If our Steelers can sign both players to the right deal, I will happily root for both of them alongside everyone else...hopefully, if given another opportunity, both guys will better seasons next year...which would be great for the team...

NorthCoast
01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Who else thinks?:

MIKE WALLACE = ROD TIDWELL

Chadman
01-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Who else thinks?:

MIKE WALLACE = ROD TIDWELL

"Show me the money!"

you know, everyone likes Rod Tidwell in the end....

fordfixer
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
"Show me the money!"

I watched that last night:D

MeetJoeGreene
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Mods - can we get an autocorrect set up to change "Wallace" to "Mikey the Tool Clown"?

MeetJoeGreene
01-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Here are some good anagrams of Mike Wallace:

Ill Weak Mace
We Make Lilac
Me Weak Lilac
We Lack Email
Make Ice Wall
All Mice Weak
Awe Male Lick
We Lick A Male

Oviedo
01-04-2013, 02:09 PM
"Show me the money!"

Thats because he stayed with his team. Mike Wallace won't.