PDA

View Full Version : Main Reason for disappointing season - Mike Tomlin

Sword
01-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Article hits it correctly:

Mike Tomlin began showing his inability to prepare this team each week

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/01/01/steelers-2012-season-what-was-most-disappointing/

Notleadpoisoned
01-02-2013, 09:44 AM
If Bruce Arians wins NFL Coach of the Year this year and Todd Haley wins it next year after he takes Arizona to the playoffs then I would have to say that Tomlin is probably the issue, maybe.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Yep. Tomlin coached those guys to turn the ball over. It was all part of the game plan....

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
If Bruce Arians wins NFL Coach of the Year this year and Todd Haley wins it next year after he takes Arizona to the playoffs then I would have to say that Tomlin is probably the issue, maybe.

in the meantime, Tomlin's team might go to another Super Bowl....

Besides, Bidwill will probably hire Andy Reid today....

Sword
01-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Yep. Tomlin coached those guys to turn the ball over. It was all part of the game plan....

He failed to have them ready to not turn the ball over...it's called better practices, focus......when you have 3 different RB fumble in a game
that is focus and basic football practices ...

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 09:53 AM
So, now Tomlin has to carry the ball for them?

Oviedo
01-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Ridiculous premise. Did Tomlin teach the players how to get injured? Did he teach them to turn over the ball? Does he need to remind them weekly not to get hurt or commit turnovers? Is that part of his failure.

Just change the topic of future threads to "I Don't Like Tomlin So Let Me Invent Something To Criticize Him For"

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't blame Tomlin for the TO's but he has to bear some responsibility for not having these guys prepared to beat bad teams. Too many mental mistakes and our fundamentals are horrible....

Our offense is so sloppy, ST's as well...

Oviedo
01-02-2013, 10:00 AM
He failed to have them ready to not turn the ball over...it's called better practices, focus......when you have 3 different RB fumble in a game

Really, so he should violate the CBA which limits what he can do at practice? You are aware how limited teams are in what they can do at in season practices aren't you or doesn't that support the anti-Tomlin agenda?

The players are at fault! If Tomlin is to blame for anything it is not demanding more from LeBeau and Haley.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 10:03 AM
The job of the HC is to put the team in position to win games. If five of the losses were by 3 points or less, I argue that the team was in a position to win those games and didn't get it done....

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Ridiculous premise. Did Tomlin teach the players how to get injured? Did he teach them to turn over the ball? Does he need to remind them weekly not to get hurt or commit turnovers? Is that part of his failure.

Just change the topic of future threads to "I Don't Like Tomlin So Let Me Invent Something To Criticize Him For"

I'm a Tomlin fan but if I was in his shoes I would change a few things.

Mendenhall wouldn't see the field until he held the ball high and tight.

The strength coach would be fired.

The OL coach would be fired as well.

I would also make an example out of Gilbert by cutting him... the guy never finishes a game and he is hurting other players as well.

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 10:12 AM
The job of the HC is to put the team in position to win games. If five of the losses were by 3 points or less, I argue that the team was in a position to win those games and didn't get it done....

The job of a HC is to WIN games... not put them in a "position to win" vs sub-par opponents.

The Pats aren't in a position to win vs scrub teams... 99% of the time it's over by halftime. We struggle vs bad teams and whatever horrible stat streak they have going is always broken when they play us.

MCHammer
01-02-2013, 10:45 AM
I don't blame Tomlin for the TO's but he has to bear some responsibility for not having these guys prepared to beat bad teams. Too many mental mistakes and our fundamentals are horrible....

Our offense is so sloppy, ST's as well...

This is correct. The article was completely accurate and did not attempt to blame Tomlin for everything. To the contrary, it assigned him blame for his failures, which were obvious this year:

"Tomlin’s failures are essentially a very damning part of the failures for the 2012 Steelers and is the most disappointing one for me. It’s the head coach’s responsibility to get a team prepared each week no matter who the opponent is or how strong or weak a schedule you have. Poor game management once the clock starts ticking makes it even worse. Tomlin has lots to prove over the next few seasons – player development, preparedness, and game management."

I understand that there is an irrational "fire Tomlin" response out there, but it is equally irrational to interpret all criticism of Tomlin as illegitimate and to make excuses for him constantly. Mike Tomlin did not perform well this year as the Steelers head coach. That is just a fact. This team played sloppy undisciplined football for about 2 straight months. If that is not on the head coach, I don't know what is.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
This is correct. The article was completely accurate and did not attempt to blame Tomlin for everything. To the contrary, it assigned him blame for his failures, which were obvious this year:

"Tomlin’s failures are essentially a very damning part of the failures for the 2012 Steelers and is the most disappointing one for me. It’s the head coach’s responsibility to get a team prepared each week no matter who the opponent is or how strong or weak a schedule you have. Poor game management once the clock starts ticking makes it even worse. Tomlin has lots to prove over the next few seasons – player development, preparedness, and game management."

I understand that there is an irrational "fire Tomlin" response out there, but it is equally irrational to interpret all criticism of Tomlin as illegitimate and to make excuses for him constantly. Mike Tomlin did not perform well this year as the Steelers head coach. That is just a fact. This team played sloppy undisciplined football for about 2 straight months. If that is not on the head coach, I don't know what is.

$$$$

This season was Tomlin's worst performance as Steelers' head coach. Don't see why pointing that out raises such ire...I think it was fairly obvious. I'm pulling for him to turn it around next season.

MCHammer
01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm pulling for him to turn it around next season.

As am I and the vast majority of fans. Despite some of Tomlin's weaknesses, he is still young and I assume capable of learning from mistakes. Moreover, there really aren't that many great coaches out there. Tomlin is a known quantity anddespite his faults he is a Super Bowl winner. It is not easy to win a championship under any circumstances. So calls for Tomlin's head are premature. I would reconsider if the sloppy play continues long enough, but Tomlin has more than earned the chance to show he can lead a championship caliber team once again.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 12:05 PM
The job of a HC is to WIN games...

No. Head coaches don't win games. Players do. If head coaches won games, "genius" Belichick would have had SB rings in Cleveland....

Oviedo
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
No. Head coaches don't win games. Players do. If head coaches won games, "genius" Belichick would have had SB rings in Cleveland....

$$$$$

Fans just like to blame coaches because it is an easy target versus a real analysis of how multiple players screwed the pooch. Plus fans haven't invested emotionally and economically (Jerseys) in coaches.

Belichek is now a "genius" because he has one of the greatest QBs every to play the game. When Brady retires we could see a wholly different Belichek again.

There are many things a coach can't control.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I believe Tomlin can and will adjust. After the disappointing 1 and done 2007 playoffs, the Steelers won the SB in 2008....

After the disappointing non-playoff season in 2009, the Steelers went back to the SB in 2010....

If Tomlin is as huge a factor as some of you believe, he can and will make the proper changes....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-02-2013, 12:35 PM
1. Lack of Discipline
2. Lack of Accountablity
3. Lack of Focus
4. Lack of a better back-up QB
5. Lack a "Nookie"

I will leave the last one to interpretation. I'm sure some of you will get it.

MCHammer
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Isn't this just a matter of semantics? Coaches, like a CEO or other top manager, are responsible for the overall performance of the organization. The coach is therefore held accountable for and by his win-loss record. It's the best ultimate measuring stick available for the coach's performance.

It may not be the best or only measure, but it is a measure. So this focus on whether a coach can win or lose a game strikes me as silly. Bottom line this year was underperformance. Players like Miller stood out as exceptions on a team that overall played sloppy and lacked focus for much of the year. A well coached team does put in a sloppy and unfocused effort for several months and miss the playoffs in a year when the playoffs were easily attainable.

phillyesq
01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
$$$$

This season was Tomlin's worst performance as Steelers' head coach. Don't see why pointing that out raises such ire...I think it was fairly obvious. I'm pulling for him to turn it around next season.

I agree.

The team was 8-8, and ultimately, the head coach bears responsibility for that record. The line is always "the standard is the standard" and that should apply to Tomlin as well.

The team did not seem ready to play in a lot of games this year, as many have noted, not only on this message board, but even in comments from guys like Keisel and Polamalu.

Additionally, we saw some very questionable in-game decisions. Most troubling to me was when Tomlin, by his own words, gave no consideration to punting late in the Bengals game instead of putting Suisham out there for a 54 yard field goal. If he was not considering that 54 yards is beyond Suisham's typical range, was into the open end and would be the longest kick ever at Heinz, then he simply wasn't doing his job. He should weigh those factors, and if he found that something led him to another decision, fine - but those are things that a coach needs to consider.

The special teams were a disaster. They repeatedly put the team in poor field position with dumb penalties. Additionally, there were issues like Brown being lined up too deep on a punt return in I believe the Cowboys game. The overall lack of discipline is, at least in part, a coaching issue. Amos Jones is Tomlin's buddy from back in the day, but he should be gone. If not, full responsibility for the STs failures rests with Tomlin.

Just like Ben, Tomlin had a bad year. I'd like to see both guys return next year, and see both of them have better years.

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM

This...and this.

Mike Tomlin began showing his inability to prepare this team each week. Penalties, turnovers, and bone head decision making (players and coaches) left all of Steeler Nation reeling at the end of each game. If gun control measures are ever passed, it might help out the Steelers because maybe then they can stop shooting themselves in the foot every week. Tomlin lacked the ability to prepare this team against lesser opponents (see Raiders, Titans, Chiefs, Browns). Even when the house of cards was about to fall on this season, the Steelers were given golden opportunities to make a race out of the division and overtake the Baltimore Ravens. Instead of fighting when their backs were up against the wall, this team failed to show any fight, any heart, to make a true playoff push.

Tomlin’s failures are essentially a very damning part of the failures for the 2012 Steelers and is the most disappointing one for me. It’s the head coach’s responsibility to get a team prepared each week no matter who the opponent is or how strong or weak a schedule you have. Poor game management once the clock starts ticking makes it even worse. Tomlin has lots to prove over the next few seasons – player development, preparedness, and game management.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Isn't this just a matter of semantics? Coaches, like a CEO or other top manager, are responsible for the overall performance of the organization?

Usually, CEOs are the highest paid members of the organization. If others made as much, if not more, than the CEO, I'd hold them just as accountable, if not more so....

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 02:17 PM

This is a very dumb statement. First off... Billicheat wasn't a genius in Cleveland. Second... plenty of people said Billicheat developed a win at all cost attitude after Cleveland. Ever since Billicheat WON games.. they have won SB's, spanked us more than a few times and pretty much win 10 to 12 games every year and he hasn't been anywhere near a hot seat.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 02:21 PM
This is a very dumb statement. First off... Billicheat wasn't a genius in Cleveland. Second... plenty of people said Billicheat developed a win at all cost attitude after Cleveland. Ever since Billicheat WON games.. they have won SB's, spanked us more than a few times and pretty much win 10 to 12 games every year and he hasn't been anywhere near a hot seat.

....after he lucked into Tom Brady and also cheated....

You don't suddenly become a genius. That is the dumb statement....

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 02:29 PM
$$$$$

Fans just like to blame coaches because it is an easy target versus a real analysis of how multiple players screwed the pooch. Plus fans haven't invested emotionally and economically (Jerseys) in coaches.

Belichek is now a "genius" because he has one of the greatest QBs every to play the game. When Brady retires we could see a wholly different Belichek again.

Billicheat made Cassel rich... and it isn't like Brady was a 1st round beast he was a 6th round nobody. Billicheat is a genius because he gets the most out of his players and he doesn't have a problem switching to a 4-3 or 3-4 from week to week. Brady isn't the best in the game because he has the best arm, best athleticism or is some freak athlete. Billicheat designs his offense to fit the players they have and they exploit teams weaknesses.

Look at how long it took for us to finally attack the Pats weakness and get a win over them with Brady? It takes our coaching staff 8 years to figure this out.... it would take Billicheat 8 plays to make the proper adjustments.

...and yes, the Pats have Brady but they don't have Doug Flutie and Drew Bledsoe backing him up. They went out and selected Mallet. Once again, a step ahead of us.

I'm a huge Tomlin fan but I think he has a lot of room for growth...

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 02:32 PM
....after he lucked into Tom Brady and also cheated....

You don't suddenly become a genius. That is the dumb statement....

Call it whatever you want but it sounds like jealousy to me. I call him Bellicheat so there is no need to remind me of the obvious. Cheating was part of his win at all cost after leaving Cleveland. Oh well... but since being caught he hasn't had a problem winning a bunch of games.

..and it wasn't all of a sudden. He didn't leave Cleveland and win 3 SB's in a row the next 3 years.

flippy
01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
$$$$$

I always pictured you in a Dick Lebeau jersey every Sunday :)

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
This is a very dumb statement. First off... Billicheat wasn't a genius in Cleveland.

I agree. And yes, Thomas Edison was a failed inventor for most of his life. It matters not that BB didn't have all the answers in his first stint as head coach (although he did get Cleveland to the play offs - something that almost never happens ever since the Kosar era). It has been proven that good coaches do make a difference. To deny that is ridiculous.

flippy
01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
I agree.

The team was 8-8, and ultimately, the head coach bears responsibility for that record. The line is always "the standard is the standard" and that should apply to Tomlin as well.

He's been around the track enough times to have figured this out.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Belichick didn't design the offense. Charlie Weis did. The McDaniels and O'Briens of the staff just built upon that...

Why hasn't the Charlie Weis offense experienced such success anywhere else? No Tom Brady, that's why...

Belichick designs defense. How awesome have his defenses been?

What happens to the Patriots when they play a team that can stop them from scoring at will? They lose two SBs to the Giants....

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree. And yes, Thomas Edison was a failed inventor for most of his life. It matters not that BB didn't have all the answers in his first stint as head coach (although he did get Cleveland to the play offs - something that almost never happens ever since the Kosar era). It has been proven that good coaches do make a difference. To deny that is ridiculous.

Belichick didn't win before Brady. Cowher didn't win before Ben. Coughlin didn't win before Eli.

Steve Spagnuolo coached an amazingly effective D in NY....in NO, his D set a record for yards allowed...

Coaches are important. Just not nearly as important as the performance of the players....

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Oh, BTW, Barry Switzer won a SB and George Allen did not....

Who was the better coach? Who had the better players?

skyhawk
01-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Belichick didn't win before Brady. Cowher didn't win before Ben. Coughlin didn't win before Eli.

Steve Spagnuolo coached an amazingly effective D in NY....in NO, his D set a record for yards allowed...

Coaches are important. Just not nearly as important as the performance of the players....

This!

Ben flat out single handedly saved Cowher's legacy in the 2005 playoffs.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 03:21 PM
When the Steelers lost XXX, should Cowher have coached O'Donnell not to throw INTs?

Notleadpoisoned
01-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Then let Ben call all of his own plays since it's gonna be on him to win or lose anyhow.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Then let Ben call all of his own plays since it's gonna be on him to win or lose anyhow.

In all of the games after he came back, he just did what he wanted anyway...

Oviedo
01-02-2013, 04:04 PM
I always pictured you in a Dick Lebeau jersey every Sunday :)

You are obviously heavily indulging in controlled substances. As much as many want to characterize me as a "LeBeau hater" because it is easy I always thought LeBeau was great until about 2-3 years ago when he clearly demonstrated he would not modify or adjust his defense as apparent weaknesses and lack of depth appeared. IMO he is in a rut and can't get out of his comfort zone.

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Belichick didn't design the offense. Charlie Weis did. The McDaniels and O'Briens of the staff just built upon that...

Why hasn't the Charlie Weis offense experienced such success anywhere else? No Tom Brady, that's why...

Belichick designs defense. How awesome have his defenses been?

What happens to the Patriots when they play a team that can stop them from scoring at will? They lose two SBs to the Giants....

His defenses haven't been awesome because they don't need to be to win in todays NFL. Billicheat is smart enough to know having a #1 D and 8 losses isn't anything to brag about. Their D isn't anywhere near as bad as the stats would lead you to believe. They get TO's too... a lot of them.

I don't care who the OC is/was or will be.... Billicheat runs the show and is smart enough to hire OC's who get the most out of the players they have.

...and pointing out losses in SB's doesn't really help your argument.

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 04:16 PM
You are obviously heavily indulging in controlled substances. As much as many want to characterize me as a "LeBeau hater" because it is easy I always thought LeBeau was great until about 2-3 years ago when he clearly demonstrated he would not modify or adjust his defense as apparent weaknesses and lack of depth appeared. IMO he is in a rut and can't get out of his comfort zone.

It's Tomlin's job to get Lebeau out of a rut if he is truly in one... but ummm, the D wasn't the problem this year.

phillyesq
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM
When the Steelers lost XXX, should Cowher have coached O'Donnell not to throw INTs?

O'Donnell only threw seven interceptions during the entire 1995 season. For all of his many faults, turnovers weren't a chronic problem with O'Donnell like fumbling or special teams penalties were with this team.

phillyesq
01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
It's Tomlin's job to get Lebeau out of a rut if he is truly in one... but ummm, the D wasn't the problem this year.

Of course they weren't. The crisis on defense is seen only by Ovi.

The Steelers lost 2 home games in which the opposition did not score an offensive touchdown - the problem with the 2012 Steelers was not the defensive side of the ball, especially not down the stretch.

squidkid
01-02-2013, 04:41 PM

so tomlin isnt responsible for any wins? cool, that's what ive been saying

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 04:44 PM
so tomlin isnt responsible for any wins? cool, that's what ive been saying

If he isn't responsible for wins, nor can he be responsible for losses....

Can't have it both ways....

squidkid
01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
If he isn't responsible for wins, nor can he be responsible for losses....

Can't have it both ways....

ive got no problem admitting tomlin is a mediocre/decent coach and his record(good or bad) is a direct result of the front office, OC, DC, schedule, injuries, player production and if the breaks go your way or not.

SS Laser
01-02-2013, 05:02 PM

I think you are heavily indulging in a controlled substance. LeBeau has changed his defense the last 2 or 3 years! It looks way different then when he blitzed every other play. He has ran a defense to try and control the passing attacks of todays NFL. Fast paced quick throws 2 or 3 step drops! No blitz will get there when good QB's throw quick passes most of the time. So play coverage and limit YAC.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 05:20 PM
ive got no problem admitting tomlin is a mediocre/decent coach and his record(good or bad) is a direct result of the front office, OC, DC, schedule, injuries, player production and if the breaks go your way or not.

You just described every HC in the NFL....

squidkid
01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
You just described every HC in the NFL....

i somewhat agree.
the real good ones get a few more wins because of gameplanning, motivation, schemes, etc.
the bad ones lose more because they cant do the above.
i think most nfl head coaches are the same

MCHammer
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM

The problem is that the performance of a coach is not a totally indepedent from the performance of the players. Good coaches figure out how to get the most out of their players. Again, Belichick comes to mind. The Patriots don't play too many sloppy games full of mental mistakes, penalties and turnovers. When they do, they fix it quickly.

Coaching is very important and a good coach makes his players perform at a higher level on a consistent basis.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Coaching is very important and a good coach makes his players perform at a higher level on a consistent basis.

Which is what Tomlin does and what Cowher did...

Now, could Tomlin have done a better job this year? He would be the first person to say yes and to hold himself accountable...

Was Tomlin the main reason for the disappointing season, as the OP asserts? I would have to say no...

steelfin
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Football is a team sport. As a result it would be impossible to find any one single cause for a disappointing season.

There are several factors that contributed to the pathetic and underachieving season for the Steelers....injuries, coaching, turn-overs, penalities, solar flares, etc...but to say the Steelers sucked soley because of Mike Tomlin in unrealistic.

However as the head coach, he must shoulder some of the responsibility. Head coaches don't play on the field but they do prepare their players to play and coaches to coach. That preparation has some impact to the outcome of the game...After all the players still need to execute on the field.

In any case, there are several factors that can be used to determine a coaches effectiveness...Won/Loss record, team discipline, penalites, turn-overs, in-game adjustments, clock management, etc...everyone is going to have an off game here and there, but when certain trends continue on for an entire season or longer at some point the HC needs to be accountable.

There were definitely some disturbing trends this season and the team (including the coaches) need to share the burden.

If we are going to crown a HC as one of the greats after winning a couple of SBs, then we need to hold him responsible when times are tough....

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Agreed. Again, though, not the main reason....

Steelhere10
01-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Tomlin had the worst year of his coaching stint and it wasn't because of the players turning over the ball or committing stupid penalties or was it the in game decisions. Where he failed was the off the field decision that cost him games in the long run.
1)Cutting Saunders over Paulson and Pope
2)Not starting his best back in Rashard
3)firing the St coach and replacing him with trash
4)hiring an OC that didn't fit his offense
5) keeping two washed up Back up Qbs
Those moves alone maybe caused the team at least 2-3 losses on its own.

Steelhere10
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
These players didn't just start playing football no one can hold their hands and make them hold on to the ball or not to throw interceptions let alone jumping off side or holding. Those things are learned and taught before they enter the league so you can't blame that on the coaches they are Paid to perform period and they didn't.

ikestops85
01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Tomlin had the worst year of his coaching stint and it wasn't because of the players turning over the ball or committing stupid penalties or was it the in game decisions. Where he failed was the off the field decision that cost him games in the long run.
1)Cutting Saunders over Paulson and Pope
2)Not starting his best back in Rashard
3)firing the St coach and replacing him with trash
4)hiring an OC that didn't fit his offense
5) keeping two washed up Back up Qbs
Those moves alone maybe caused the team at least 2-3 losses on its own.

I'm trying to figure out where these 2-3 losses came from on your list

1) I'm a Saunders fan but he didn't exactly set the league on fire in Indy. This certainly played no part in any of our losses
2) I'm pretty sure Mendenhall started as soon as he was ready. He lost that position by putting the ball on the ground. The mistake was playing Mendenhall ... not sitting him.
3) We have to assume the ST coach gave Tomlin no option but to fire him. Tomlin doesn't impress me as a knee jerk reactionary type of coach.
4) I loved what this offense was doing until Ben got hurt. It was improving every week, controlling the ball and converting 3rd downs. It seemed to be getting better scoring touchdowns from the redzone. Ben was mentioned as a MVP candidate. Between the injuries on the O-line and Ben the offense went downhill but I don't pin those losses on Haley.
5) Do you really think a rookie QB could have come in and won games when Ben got hurt? Nope, that wasn't happening.

Now if you would have put on your list the undisciplined way that the Steelers played this year I could agree that cost us a couple of games. For instance, why, when we have a questionable play, don't we rush up to the line and get a play off instead of letting the opposition review the play and throw a challenge flag? How friggin hard is it to not block someone in the back? How can gunners not know that they can't willingly run out of bounds and if they are knocked out of bounds they have to get back in bounds? Why don't our ball carriers know that they have to put both hands on the ball when running through traffic?

I blame Tomlin, and all the coaches, for these things. Not for what you listed.

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 12:26 PM
I blame Tomlin for the QB debacle after Ben went down. Ben is injury prone and we had 2 injury prone backups. Should have groomed a back up last year IMO.

Ghost
01-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Miller has a career year under Haley and had his best stats ever except receptions (which he probably would have gotten in the last game) and that was with having to stay in and block all the time b/c of a patchwork line. Haley sure as hell understood what kind of weapon he had there. And Haley was nothing but professional all year as WR's dropped ball after ball, the RB's fumbled games away, and the line had trouble generating any sort of push for a running game most of the time.

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I think you are heavily indulging in a controlled substance. LeBeau has changed his defense the last 2 or 3 years! It looks way different then when he blitzed every other play. He has ran a defense to try and control the passing attacks of todays NFL. Fast paced quick throws 2 or 3 step drops! No blitz will get there when good QB's throw quick passes most of the time. So play coverage and limit YAC.

Did LeBeau really change it for the better? Thirteen other teams in the NFL had more sacks than we did and eighteen had more INTs. Do they play in a different NFL than we do or are their Def Coords more adaptable with what they do and how they gameplan? The "fast paced quick throws 2 or 3 step drops" seem a little less difficult for them to deal with.

Eich
01-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Haley was nothing but professional all year as WR's dropped ball after ball, the RB's fumbled games away, and the line had trouble generating any sort of push for a running game most of the time.

I actually would've liked to have seen some Haley "fire" after some of the turnovers and poor play.

Steelhere10
01-03-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm trying to figure out where these 2-3 losses came from on your list

1) I'm a Saunders fan but he didn't exactly set the league on fire in Indy. This certainly played no part in any of our losses
2) I'm pretty sure Mendenhall started as soon as he was ready. He lost that position by putting the ball on the ground. The mistake was playing Mendenhall ... not sitting him.
3) We have to assume the ST coach gave Tomlin no option but to fire him. Tomlin doesn't impress me as a knee jerk reactionary type of coach.
4) I loved what this offense was doing until Ben got hurt. It was improving every week, controlling the ball and converting 3rd downs. It seemed to be getting better scoring touchdowns from the redzone. Ben was mentioned as a MVP candidate. Between the injuries on the O-line and Ben the offense went downhill but I don't pin those losses on Haley.
5) Do you really think a rookie QB could have come in and won games when Ben got hurt? Nope, that wasn't happening.

Now if you would have put on your list the undisciplined way that the Steelers played this year I could agree that cost us a couple of games. For instance, why, when we have a questionable play, don't we rush up to the line and get a play off instead of letting the opposition review the play and throw a challenge flag? How friggin hard is it to not block someone in the back? How can gunners not know that they can't willingly run out of bounds and if they are knocked out of bounds they have to get back in bounds? Why don't our ball carriers know that they have to put both hands on the ball when running through traffic?

I blame Tomlin, and all the coaches, for these things. Not for what you listed.Remember a lot of games was lost by 3 pts or less, how many times was Paulson shoved in Ben Lap while blocking you can go back to the pass that were called a lateral and see Paulson at his best.
The St unit sucked this year after finally having a good year last year, how many times did the offense start in bad field position all year.
Mendenhall is clearly the most talented back by far.
This team is built on speed, going to a dink and dink offense made it easier to defend.
The decision to keep a fragile qb and another that was close to 40 along with a injury proned starting qb, and it didn't have to be a rookie but someone more reliable.

phillyesq
01-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Did LeBeau really change it for the better? Thirteen other teams in the NFL had more sacks than we did and eighteen had more INTs. Do they play in a different NFL than we do or are their Def Coords more adaptable with what they do and how they gameplan? The "fast paced quick throws 2 or 3 step drops" seem a little less difficult for them to deal with.

#1 in yardage allowed and #6 in points allowed (not sure if that accounts for offensive turnovers that are returned for scores).

Oviedo
01-03-2013, 01:54 PM
#1 in yardage allowed and #6 in points allowed (not sure if that accounts for offensive turnovers that are returned for scores).

...and out of the play offs. I think the sack and INTs stats are far more telling that the meaningless #1 defense stat. You have to get to the QB and take the ball away. We get worse every year at doing that.

MCHammer
01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I blame Tomlin for the QB debacle after Ben went down. Ben is injury prone and we had 2 injury prone backups. Should have groomed a back up last year IMO.

Good point. It is crazy how much of a beating Ben takes for no apparent reason. I remember that game in SF with the lights going out. I don't know the score off-hand, but I remember the game was out of reach at the end but there Ben was in garbage time taking hit after hit after hit.

The Tomlin coaching fiasco of the year was probably when we didn't run the 2 pt conversions against San Diego. Tomlin claimed a couple reasons why we didn't do this, but eventually settled on some sort of rationale that we didn't want to show our cards for 2 pt conversions because the game was effectively out of reach. Ok, I think that is ridiculous, but it's an explanation. So why did Ben stay in anyway if the game was out of reach?

One begins to wonder if Ben is staying in games to protect our even more injury-prone backups. That sounds insane, but so did the various rationales Tomlin gave for the no 2pt conversion explanation.

lloydroid
01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
I find it bizarre that some don't think Tomlin is responsible for team focus, effort and discipline. Anyone ever watch "Restaurant Impossible?" It's a reality show where this dude comes in and fixes eateries that are going out of business. You know the #1 thing he usually has to fix to get a failing joint back on track? The biggest glare is usually because there is no real manager or boss, and everyone is allowed to just kind of do their own thing. In other words, with no actually boss, managing the people, leads to a crappy service and cooking situation. No one in charge, and human being tend to lack full effort. It is a fact of human nature. So who is the main "boss" of an NFL team? The head coach. Thus, any problems such as lack of focus, effort and discipline is on Tomlin. For the fools who say "the football players are making millions of $ so they should need to management" are so out-of-touch with the reality of the human race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfnxjMcKfU

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
No, being a cook and a professional athlete are two different things....

I think a football player looks (or should look) at their responsibility like a teacher...you are under contract with an organization...you work with a team, but are responsible for your duties...there is a manager and evaluator who observes and offers input, but no one is there holding your hand throughout the day...you are judged by your results...I don't need anyone to come up with my motivation...I love my job and I am lucky to have the opportunity to do it...

ikestops85
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
...and out of the play offs. I think the sack and INTs stats are far more telling that the meaningless #1 defense stat. You have to get to the QB and take the ball away. We get worse every year at doing that.

I give you that being #1 defensively is a meaningless stat but doesn't defense come down to how many points you give up? We seem to do damn well in that category every year under LeBeau. We started out horrible this year and he managed to turn it around ... without his star players being healthy.

We are not out of the playoffs because of the defense. We are out of the playoffs because of our inconsistent offense and poor offensive line play.

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 06:59 PM
I don't care about anything but points allowed...the other stuff is window dressing...

phillyesq
01-03-2013, 07:00 PM

The Steelers lost 2 home games in which the defense did not allow a touchdown. Which side of the ball was a problem again?

phillyesq
01-03-2013, 07:01 PM
I don't care about anything but points allowed...the other stuff is window dressing...

Fair point, but it's tough to argue with being #6 in points allowed.

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Fair point, but it's tough to argue with being #6 in points allowed.

I'm agreeing with you...

steelfin
01-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Not to mention that points allowed doesn't take into account field position. The offense turned the ball over and special teams was not a big help this year...

Let's face it, we had a pretty damn good defense this year all things considered. Sure we could certainly use more QB pressure, sacks and turn-overs. It would have provided our inconsisten offense more chances to score....I get that.

But why is it that the defense always has to help the offense? Why can't the Steeler offense help the defense at times? The offense NEEDS to get better....

NorthCoast
01-03-2013, 07:50 PM
It would be one thing if Tomlin never coached to a winning Superbowl season. It's a completely different thing if he has.

BTW, heard a interesting comment from a coach today: "It is much easier to lose a game because of a bad play, than it is to win one with a big one". In otherwords, soundness in fundamentals is key to consistent winning.

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
No, being a cook and a professional athlete are two different things....

I think a football player looks (or should look) at their responsibility like a teacher...you are under contract with an organization...you work with a team, but are responsible for your duties...there is a manager and evaluator who observes and offers input, but no one is there holding your hand throughout the day...you are judged by your results...I don't need anyone to come up with my motivation...I love my job and I am lucky to have the opportunity to do it...

Ugh.... I think the teacher analogy is worse than the restaurant analogy.

Slapstick
01-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Ugh.... I think the teacher analogy is worse than the restaurant analogy.

If you say so...