PDA

View Full Version : Kernan L says the Steelers made...

Steelhere10
01-01-2013, 03:55 PM
A mistake by not locking him up long term, So it may be hard to keep him.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Could be. Tough to see Gay & him go after finally developing.

Steelhere10
01-01-2013, 04:15 PM
I personally don't think that he will receive an outrageous offer from another team that the Steelers can't match if they choose to keep him. 1 year of good cb play imo won't field that kind of offer.

Slapstick
01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
A CB franchise tag would be more than $10 million, probably....

SidSmythe
01-01-2013, 04:20 PM
In a "Passing" league, CB's are the biggest premium next to a top notch Pass Rusher.
I'm not so convince "Kernan" will be a top CB in this league.

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 04:20 PM
If this is true and Lewis is bent on getting paid, then let him walk, restructure Ike and draft Dee Milliner or Jonathan Banks to replace Ike in 2014.

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 04:24 PM
In a "Passing" league, CB's are the biggest premium next to a top notch Pass Rusher.
I'm not so convince "Kernan" will be a top CB in this league.

I think Lewis is already an above average corner. Will he ever be elite? Probably not but above average is worth a lot of money in the NFL. 23 PD's over the course of a season and able to be physical versus the run is huge. I would love to be able to lock him up and play the next 10 years opposite of Cortez Allen but if he is bent on leaving and getting money beyond what the Steelers can offer him then he walks.

TD386Steel
01-01-2013, 04:26 PM
He's gone somebody will pay for him. If we didnt have Cortez Allen I'd be worried, But I love Allen and am ready for him to start. Lock him up long term. I also hope, pray that DeMarcus Van Dyke and Brown and become capable nickle and dime backs, draft a mid to late corner in the draft

Snatch98
01-01-2013, 04:29 PM
What a stupid thing to say. I like Lewis a lot BUT only after this season. What exactly did he do prior to this season to warrant an extension before his contract came up?

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 05:08 PM
What a stupid thing to say. I like Lewis a lot BUT only after this season. What exactly did he do prior to this season to warrant an extension before his contract came up?

He's only been a two year starter. And he has grown over the past couple of season. I dont like the talk (if this is true), either but he is right on pace with a player who has developed as planned.

lloydroid
01-01-2013, 05:17 PM

His agent may be telling him to say that; posturing for more $. I don't put any weight into anything stated by players entering free agency. Ike had all kinds of $ talk too, and he ended up staying for a reasonable price. Plus, we could live without Lewis if we had to. Not the end of the world. I am much more concerned about Starks and Harrison.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Do Lewis and Wallace have the same agent? Sounds like it from their comments....why throw comments out there instead of just letting the process unfold?

steelz09
01-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Worst case scenario, cut Ike to sign Lewis.

lloydroid
01-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Worst case scenario, cut Ike to sign Lewis.

I'm not sure that works. Cutting your #1 CB to sign the #2? I think Ike has 2 years left.

steelz09
01-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure that works. Cutting your #1 CB to sign the #2? I think Ike has 2 years left.

I realize Ike is our #1. I'm just saying that this team needs to get younger and I don't want to lose a young Lewis just to keep Ike around another 1-2 years. I'm sure we'll be able to sign Lewis and keep Ike but if push came to shove, I'd rather keep Lewis even if it's at the expense of losing Ike/Harrison/Hampton/Wallace/Mendenhall/Foote.

flippy
01-01-2013, 07:19 PM
We could always franchise and sign him long term.

Oviedo
01-01-2013, 07:22 PM
We could always franchise and sign him long term.

Can't franchise him for the same reason they can't franchise Wallace...no money under the cap.

steelz09
01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
There is two players in particular this franchise should make a big priority this offseason.

Starks
Lewis

In addition to that, I would love to keep Harrison 1 more year but he would need to take a huge paycut.

SS Laser
01-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Lewis is good buddys will Wallace right?

steelz09
01-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Lewis is good buddys will Wallace right?

Yes, he is.

Let's hope Lewis doesn't overestimate his worth and talent like Wallace did.

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 08:02 PM
I realize Ike is our #1. I'm just saying that this team needs to get younger and I don't want to lose a young Lewis just to keep Ike around another 1-2 years. I'm sure we'll be able to sign Lewis and keep Ike but if push came to shove, I'd rather keep Lewis even if it's at the expense of losing Ike/Harrison/Hampton/Wallace/Mendenhall/Foote.

I am right there with you on this one. I would much rather have Lewis for the next 6-8 years than Ike for maybe another season.

SS Laser
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Enough said on Lewis. Maybe Gay will come back after the coaching change in AZ? But I think Gay is only good in the slot. Which would work with Allen on the edge.

pittpete
01-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Someone needs to remind Mr. Lewis about how many INT's he had this year.
Is this going to be another Wallace like contract neg.?

SS Laser
01-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Someone needs to remind Mr. Lewis about how many INT's he had this year.
Is this going to be another Wallace like contract neg.?

Thats what I said in another thread. Lewis looked like Ike. Which is fine with me. But needs a couple good seasons to get BIG CB money.

supersteeler
01-01-2013, 08:45 PM
It would be good if we could keep him but we just don't have the funds to sign everyone. Players will be restructuring their contracts and some might have to take a cut so we get under the cap.
Cortez will be fine, but we'll need another corner to replace Lewis unless we get more production from Curtis Brown and he starts to develope.

Djfan
01-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Retweeted Keenan Lewis (@KeenanLewis23):

I just want to clear this up: I never said anything about @steelers making a mistake by not signing (cont) http://t.co/f3eLnmVj

phillyesq
01-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Retweeted Keenan Lewis (@KeenanLewis23):

I just want to clear this up: I never said anything about @steelers making a mistake by not signing (cont) http://t.co/f3eLnmVj

Just saw that. Full quote:

I just want to clear this up: I never said anything about @steelers (http://twitter.com/steelers) making a mistake by not signing me last season. I love the Rooneys, Organization & fans. I only stayed that my agent will handle the contract talks.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Tired of the 'I didn't say it, my agent did' bullcrap. Wallace did the same.

BigRob
01-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Big Dilemma for the Steelers. Do you keep Ike and go with Ike/Allen?

Or do you go with Lewis and cut Taylor. That leaves you Lewis/Allen. It was a pretty good combination when they were on the field together the last two weeks.

Either situation leaves you short with the 3rd or 4th Corner. This is what I would do:

Cut Ike and try to re-sign him at a lower deal for 2 yrs. Sign Lewis to a long-term deal. If Taylor won't sign for a lower deal, take the best CB available at 17 (Banks). That would give you Lewis/Allen/Banks.

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Keenan Lewis (@KeenanLewis23) via twitter:

Posted Wednesday 2nd January 2013 from TweetCaster

"I was misquoted by a reporter saying it was a mistake not to give me a contract last year. Try to make my image look bad, but here Wat it is, I'm not money greedy, I had my exit meeting today and it went great. I know we in the right direction as far as a contract, I believe strongly I would be apart of Steeler Nation next season. To do a three peat as the number one pass defense period. Here we go"

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kiqgvn

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2013, 12:23 AM
That's pretty rad. Hope he is back!

fordfixer
01-02-2013, 12:33 AM
http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/9462f59c-c163-434d-af72-e538524ef423/

Will Keenan Lewis Be In A #Steelers Uniform Next Season? He'd Like To Think So.

One of the most important unrestricted free agents of the Steelers was involved in a bit of controversy Tuesday.

Keenan Lewis took to the social media airwaves to clear up his future intentions with the team.

He posted this to his personal Twitter (@KeenanLewis23) account: "I just want to clear this up: I never said anything about @steelers making a mistake by not signing me last season. I love the Rooneys, Organization & fans. I only stayed that my agent will handle the contract talks."

He said further: “I was misquoted by a reporter saying it was a mistake not to give me a contract last year. Try to make my image look bad, but here Wat it is, I'm not money greedy, I had my exit meeting today and it went great. I know we in the right direction as far as a contract, I believe strongly I would be apart of Steeler Nation next season. To do a three peat as the number one pass defense period. Here we go."

The reporter in question Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review and Trib Total Media. He had reported that “Keenan Lewis plans to test free agency. He told #Steelers "they made a mistake" by not offering multi-year deal before 2012 season.”

It's a good sign that Lewis is looking at it positively, because the Steelers will need him. He ended his season with 71 tackles, 23 pass defenses and a forced fumble.

As Dale Lolley of the Observer-Reporter of Washington (Pa.) tweeted from his Twitter (@dlolleyor) account: "I'll be shocked if the #Steelers don't make a serious play to keep Keenan Lewis. Played outstanding this year and is perfect fit for scheme."

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2013, 12:43 AM
For comparisons sake, what level CB & what type of contract would be fair in today's NFL?

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2013, 01:40 AM
For comparisons sake, what level CB & what type of contract would be fair in today's NFL?

I read somewhere that Keenan Lewis would command about an $8 million/year contract.

jj28west
01-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Just cant win. Remember all those years with Tim Mccyer (sp), Willie Williams, Washington, etc. We had Bookends that would harass the QB all day. Now, our Pass defense is awesome and we struggle to get to the QB.
Wonder if there is a Carnell Lake factor going on or have we become that good in grabbing the player with the right tools in the draft?

Lewis and Allen looked great overall. I still wonder what Green would have done had Ike been healthy but then again Green is elite and I would definately trade him straight up for Wallace. :)

I know I am being overly critical and this defense could play against anyone this year but I am just saying.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Don't worry about the cap. When you go 8-8 sitting on vets, the ugly business side of the game shows up. Timmons, Woodley, & BB will restructure. Miller is a perfect canidate for a restructure/extend to lower his 2013 8 mil hit. If need be, You make a decision on Troy to hold on to your young players. The decision is you convert some of 2013 to bonus to lower his 10 mil hit in 2013. Cut him & Taylor in 2014 and eat the dead money. Harrison and possibly Keisel will be cut this year. Mendy will test the market if he doesn't like what the Steelers show him. Guys like Hampton, Foote, Pope, Starks, Batch, & Lefty will be on the street and hoping the Steelers will give them a call after it is all sorted out. It isn't a question of "IF" the housecleaning is coming next year & 2014. The question is how competitive will the Steelers be through it. Just don't but any vet jerseys over the next year.

phillyesq
01-02-2013, 10:53 AM

According to Wexell:

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell On Keenan Lewis, good source says he'll take 5 yrs $35 million to get a deal done. It's reasonable.

That does seem pretty reasonable. He led the league in pass breakups, but did not create a lot of turnovers and does not have a long track record. He's also a great fit for the Steelers system and may be more valuable in Pittsburgh than he would be elsewhere.

I hope that he is retained so that the secondary, a weakness for so many years, will continue to be a strength.

SidSmythe
01-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Just cant win. Remember all those years with Tim Mccyer (sp), Willie Williams, Washington, etc. We had Bookends that would harass the QB all day. Now, our Pass defense is awesome and we struggle to get to the QB.
Wonder if there is a Carnell Lake factor going on or have we become that good in grabbing the player with the right tools in the draft?

Lewis and Allen looked great overall. I still wonder what Green would have done had Ike been healthy but then again Green is elite and I would definately trade him straight up for Wallace. :)

I know I am being overly critical and this defense could play against anyone this year but I am just saying.

We went to a SuperBowl with Willie Williams. He was pretty good but didn't get respect b/c of his size (ala Deshea Townshend)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-02-2013, 11:35 AM
You lock up Lewis. Franchise or Transition tag him & get him to agree to principle March 9. Then work on Wallace.

steelz09
01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
My only concern with Lewis is that he's only proven himself for 1 year as a starting CB. With that being said, the FO has had a strong track record on deciding whether to sign a player or let them walk.

IMO, I think Lewis and Cortez Allen will be the #1 and #2 CBs on this team for years to come.

BigRob
01-02-2013, 03:26 PM
My only concern with Lewis is that he's only proven himself for 1 year as a starting CB. With that being said, the FO has had a strong track record on deciding whether to sign a player or let them walk.

IMO, I think Lewis and Cortez Allen will be the #1 and #2 CBs on this team for years to come.

Lewis had a good year last year in a different role. It's all about confidence and Lewis has gained it. He is going to hit his stride over the next two years in his prime at 26.

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2013, 04:54 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

On Keenan Lewis, good source says he'll take 5 yrs $35 million to get a deal done. It's reasonable.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Steelerphile
01-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Lewis led the NFL with 23 passes defensed. I don't remember a Steeler DB having a number that high. I think the next step for him is to get in position to bring some of those down for INTs. Since he is around the ball, I think it is very likely that he can improve that stat. I think he will be back to the Steelers, personally. No reason for him to leave the Steelers, which are a premier organization where he is now an established starter and try to get established somewhere else. I think he is smart enough to see that and whatever deal he gets, it will be more more than he can spend anyway.

SS Laser
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Lewis led the NFL with 23 passes defensed. I don't remember a Steeler DB having a number that high. I think the next step for him is to get in position to bring some of those down for INTs. Since he is around the ball, I think it is very likely that he can improve that stat. I think he will be back to the Steelers, personally. No reason for him to leave the Steelers, which are a premier organization where he is now an established starter and try to get established somewhere else. I think he is smart enough to see that and whatever deal he gets, it will be more more than he can spend anyway.

Guess who 2005: Ivan Ike Taylor

Career Statsmore (http://www.planetsteelers.com/players/iketaylor/careerstats?id=TAY288150)

Season
Team

Tackles
Interceptions
Fumbles

G
GS
Comb
Total
Ast
Sck
SFTY
PDef
Int
Yds
Avg
Lng
TDs
FF

Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.planetsteelers.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT)
--

Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.planetsteelers.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT)
--

--

--

--

51T

--

--

--

--
--
--
--
--

TOTAL
--

Shawn
01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
If this is true and Lewis is bent on getting paid, then let him walk, restructure Ike and draft Dee Milliner or Jonathan Banks to replace Ike in 2014.

Bird in the hand...and Lewis is exactly that. IMO he is better than Ike at this stage. Why would we let him walk, only to waste a draft pick to replace a position we already have filled with a solid player? Pay Lewis 7 mil per and be done with it. Use the pick on anther position of need.

steelfin
01-02-2013, 10:25 PM
I agree with Shawn...We need to keep Lewis if possible.

He is one of the young and hopefully up and coming players on the roster. He had a great year.

Cortez Allen is another young player that added some spark later in the season.

Chadman
01-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Torn on this one- only 1 years solid production under his belt, but obviously a good player. Would really like him back, priority #1, but the Steelers need to be sensible in the value of his contract.

Steelers will need to weigh up a few things- how long can Ike play for, is Cortez ready, what will the market value Lewis at, did he make enough plays....

fordfixer
01-03-2013, 03:04 AM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-lewis-wants-starter-money-668741/

One season, two very different sets of circumstances for two high school teammates who came to the Steelers in 2009.

Mike Wallace was a bona fide star, a Pro Bowl receiver in 2011 offered tens of millions of dollars by the team he turned down in 2012. Keenan Lewis reached nickel back status in his third season, playing only in passing situations. The team offered him nothing but the required one-year tender as a restricted free agent in 2012.

Today, they are poised to become unrestricted free agents, and Lewis might even find himself in as good a position as his former classmate at Perry Walker High School in New Orleans. Lewis went from obscure backup cornerback to having such a good season in his first as a starter that he should be among the top handful of cornerbacks available in the 2013 free-agent market that opens March 12.

Lewis played for $1.26 million last season, a middle tender from the Steelers compared to a top tender of $2.7 million Wallace earned. Some team could have signed Lewis as a restricted free agent and given the Steelers a third-round pick as compensation. No one offered him a multiple-year contract to stay or leave, not the way the Steelers did with Wallace. Lewis is OK with that because he would not have attracted the kind of deal he will this year.

"I didn't want a contract in 2012," Lewis said Wednesday from his New Orleans home. "I was just a nickel back. I probably would have told them to hold up on the contract anyway because I wanted to really establish myself as a starting cornerback.

"I didn't want nickel-back money, I wanted starter money."

Lewis left his exit interview with coach Mike Tomlin on New Year's Day feeling good about the team's desire to sign him to a new contract.

"I'm hoping they do something so I can get back," said Lewis, who led the NFL in passes defensed. "They said they wanted me to come back."

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert is famous for his consistent reply to questions as to which free agents he wants to keep: All of them. They never do, of course. But Lewis is young, 27 in May, and looking like someone who can continue to partner with Taylor, 33 in May, and then succeed him as their top corner. It has been quite some time since the Steelers could count on two good cornerbacks and, with Cortez Allen playing the nickel, they look to have three.

Lewis first must heal from a sprained medial collateral ligament that will not require surgery. He predicted he will start running in a month.

Tomlin, Lewis said, told him that he blossomed in 2012. "He basically said I became a true professional, how I went about my business watching tape, my confidence grew and proving I could play. He figures I can be one of the best in the league. Now I know exactly what to work on. My goal is to be compared to the best corners, the Ike Taylors and Darrelle Revises."

Tomlin also told him the areas in which he needs to improve, catching the ball the major one. Tomlin likely told that to all the cornerbacks because they intercepted only three of the lowly team total of 10. Cortez Allen had two, Taylor one, Lewis none.

Veteran safety Will Allen noticed a big difference in Lewis the past two seasons. "I think he has built a lot of confidence. He is playing the ball a lot better. He has gotten better on his press technique. ... He is tall, long and fast. He has all the tangible things to be a great cornerback."

Lewis credits secondary coach Carnell Lake for helping him turn his game around. Lake joined the staff in 2011, and the pass defense has ranked No. 1 in both of his seasons. "Coach Lake got there, and he helped me out tremendously, stayed after work, watched tape with me. My career took off from there. The game started to slow down."

The free-agent game will speed up soon enough, and though Lewis said he loves playing for the Steelers, the Rooneys, Tomlin, Lake, etc., he also naturally wants to earn what he can.

"I want what I feel I deserve. I'm not trying to ask for way more. If they can work out a good deal with my agent, I'll be here. I'll always give them top priority because they're the team that drafted me.

"Some teams will try to speculate how much I should get. That's what [my agent is] for. I'm not going to speculate on $20 million, I'm not going to speculate on $50 million. I'll let him work the numbers out from what I put on tape and my ability."

Futures market

The season has ended for the Steelers, but the season of signing players to futures contracts has just begun.

The Steelers signed six players to contracts for the 2013 season, players who were either not on teams or on their practice squads at the end of the season. They signed offensive linemen Joe Long and Justin Cheadle, wide receivers Derek Moye and Bert Reed, and cornerback Isiah Green. All five had spent time on the Steelers practice squad in 2012.

They also signed Pittsburgh native Ross Ventrone, a defensive back. He spent portions of his rookie season in 2010 and in 2011 with the Patriots active roster and practice squad. New England released him during last training camp, and he was not on a roster last season.

thor75
01-03-2013, 03:24 AM

I agree, who wouldn't want to be the starting corner for the NFL's #1 pass defense. That says a lot and will be a prideful factor. He seems to love working with Carnell Lake and he can only get better. I'll take one year as a proven starter over drafting someone who may or may not cut it.

feltdizz
01-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Gotta keep Lewis... we finally get a young DB who can see the ball and knock it out of the air and it's a toss up to keep him?

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Number One Offseason Priority Should Be Cornerback Keenan Lewis

Posted on January 5, 2013 by Syndicated Feeds

When the Pittsburgh Steelers have a disappointing season, there are always differing opinions on the cause. Was it the offense? Was it the defense? All great questions that fans continually ask, while complimenting them with what can be done to get the team back on top.In looking back at 2012, the situation leading to the demise was a combined effort. Injuries to key players took a toll, players had off years, and some of the coaching decisions were suspect. Yes, every facet of the Steelers had an off year in one way or another.

Through all of that, one player did show up and raise his value to the Steelers moving forward and may be their most important unrestricted free agent. Cornerback Keenan Lewis rose from the depth chart and entrenched himself as possibly the Steelers best cornerback.

Yes, Ike Taylor is tremendous, and still has some tread left on the tires, but, Lewis proved he is possibly ready to step into that role. Unlike his high school teammate Mike Wallace, Lewis signed his $1.26 million tender last offseason and reported to camp ready to roll and roll he did. In fact, he played so well that he may have priced himself out of Pittsburgh as he enters the unrestricted free agent field as one of the top available cornerbacks in the NFL.

However, the Steelers have always found a way at keeping the talent that they want, and the franchise tender that once may have had Wallaces’ name on it, may end up going to his childhood buddy. Yes, the Steelers may lack depth at both positions wide receiver and cornerback, but they could ill-afford to lose Lewis, as it was clear at the end of the season, that even with a lack of depth the team was less prepared in the secondary when Taylor, Lewis and slot-corner Cortez Allen were banged up.

The 27-year old cornerback has the skill-set to flourish in the Steelers system. When they couple that with the development of Allen, the players could give the Steelers a solid starting tandem into the future once Taylor (33) starts to slow-down.

Of course, general manager Kevin Colbert may have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to keep Lewis, and he likely will. Even if they have to break the bank with the franchise tag, one thing is certain; unlike his former high school teammate, Lewis earned this chance and this contract and more importantly, seems to have a desire to stay in Pittsburgh. He is definitely priority one heading into the offseason.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_number_one_offseason_priority_ should_be_cornerback_keenan_lewis/12587212

BATMAN
01-06-2013, 06:27 PM

I agree with him. They knew they thought well enough of him to develope him, and keep him on the team. They should have offered him a contract last season. I said the same thing about Wallace too. You knew two seasons ago Wallace was going to need a contract, why not when they wouldn't demand so much ?

pittpete
01-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I agree with him. They knew they thought well enough of him to develope him, and keep him on the team. They should have offered him a contract last season. I said the same thing about Wallace too. You knew two seasons ago Wallace was going to need a contract, why not when they wouldn't demand so much ?
How could they have signed him to a long term deal w/o knowing what they had?
He proved this year he deserves a well paid contract.
Hopefully he will get it from the Steelers.
From the above article

However, the Steelers have always found a way at keeping the talent that they want