PDA

View Full Version : For All the Whiners & Doomsday Posters Out There

SidSmythe
01-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Since 2004, the Steelers and the Patriots are the ONLY two teams who have won at least 8 games EVERY season.

Oviedo
01-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Since 2004, the Steelers and the Patriots are the ONLY two teams who have won at least 8 games EVERY season.

Nice stat but it still doesn't make missing the play offs OK. Just a testament to the organizations and how they do business. Continuity is the calling card for both, but eventually you do have to make changes if you want to stay on top.

supersteeler
01-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Yes, the success of the Steelers is documented over the years, we as fans get frustrated and disappointed when they fail to meet expectations.
The fans are right, when they see a talented team underperform and we underperformed big time against teams we should beat easily.
Fans offer their opinions and more often they are right, we can't sugarcoat this season, we failed as a TEAM, not individually.

I don't have an issue with fans calling out bad decisions that the coaches make or players who don't play up the standard of quality play. I do think some do overreact when they call for coaches heads. The Steelers give their head coach a long rope, unlike teams that fire their coaches every other year, we try to fix the issues to be competitive rather than making knee jerk decisions. You have to have stability, and we did good in that department.

I'm as disappointed as the next fan but people can't sweep in injuries under the rug and pretend they had nothing to do with the outcome of this season, and that we had to many penalties killing drives. Those issues can be fixed, the team has to get healthy and it wouldn't hurt for the players to take conditioning more seriously.

It is fact Ben played lousey the last part of the season, the drops by the receivers, penalties, and of course the injuries. The team can fix everything, but injuries they have no control over other than players being prepared when the season begins.

We could of gone in the tank that last game, but I seen a lot of effort out there in a game that didn't mean anything. We had a difficult season and a disappinting one but our Steelers never gave up, they are a prideful group and we'll be back.

SidSmythe
01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Honestly...going into this season, who really saw us as a "contender"??? ...Certainly not me. I almost didn't get the NFL Sunday Ticket.

It's tough to watch the team lose, especially games like Tennessee & Oakland but I really saw this year as a "transitional" year for the team. Was just a gut feeling.

fezziwig
01-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I believe I picked the Steelers to go 6-10 at the low end and 9-7 at best.

MCHammer
01-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Regardless of preseason expectations, this team was 6-3 with its destiny firmly in its hands and they completely failed. Disgusting performance down the stretch and there is no way around that.

SS Laser
01-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I don't understand the disgust? RT's fall like flies,7th rd rookie playing RT, No 1st rd guard, O-line players playing out of position, OB hurt for 3 freaking games, WR's not trying an dropping balls, overweight "star" player hurt 90% of the time, RB problems overall, 4 "old" impact players coming off knee or other health issues, The #1 corner goes down, #2 &#3 corners miss time, QB still hurt or hurting after missing 3 games.

I am glad to be 8-8. There are still games we could have won EVEN WITH all the problems. But damn come on the other teams play also.

MCHammer
01-01-2013, 02:09 PM
We all have our opinions. I am not one calling for Tomlin to be fired or saying the end is nigh. I am just telling it like it is. Disgusting performance IMO. Complete waste of the talent and opportunities that we had. You only get so many chances. This team blew it. I hope they don't blow it again next year.

pittpete
01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Wow, feel so much better now.
Thanks for that, it will help me get by till Sept.:rolleyes:

Sugar
01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Honestly...going into this season, who really saw us as a "contender"??? ...Certainly not me. I almost didn't get the NFL Sunday Ticket.

It's tough to watch the team lose, especially games like Tennessee & Oakland but I really saw this year as a "transitional" year for the team. Was just a gut feeling.

I certainly thought the Steelers had the makings of a contender this year. My biggest caveat's were the new offensive system and health of the team. Going in, it seemed like we had finally gotten the pieces in place to have the OL's arrow pointed north. Ben had a crew of young, fast and playmaking WR's. Even with Mendy out, it looked like Redman and Dwyer would be able to tote the rock with authority. We had a top Defense that was losing some players, but not guys who had been contributing often.

I would not have counted on Sushi being money like he was. Nor would I have thought we would have had the injury bug as bad as we did two years in a row.

I believe this team has the parts to be able to win it all without a major overhaul. These seasons happen sometimes even with great teams. Heck, the Bengals fans around me are usually ecstatic if they can make 8-8. The fact that Steelers fans find this unacceptable makes me feel a little good in a twisted kind of way.

SS Laser
01-01-2013, 02:28 PM
What talent?? Most were on the bench hurt or just getting into a grove around the 14 week. Other talent was in a coaches dog house. Another talent was just running around the field making sure he did not hurt himself and do just enough to get big $$$$ elsewere.

Who I see as Talent on this team:
Ben, Troy, Debo, Woodley, Ike, Wallace, Mendy, Decastro, Pouncey. All these guys had major problems this season at some point. Other talent that played well for the most part but had there own bad games, Brown, Timmons, Starks, Clark, Hamp, others ETC. You can only win with talent when that talent plays in the game.

Just don't see a TEAM or Coaches giving up anywere. That would be disgusting. This is just a bad year overall. But I don't expect a SB every year. Don't expect the playoffs either every year. Some of you guys are spoiled rotten!

Slapstick
01-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Wins are not "stats". They are results. The Steelers are also one of two teams to win multiple Super Bowls since 2004.

Being disappointed is okay. We're all disappointed. Having high expectations is okay. We all have high expectations.

But, there is no excuse for behaving like a spoiled, petulant child who didn't get their way. I see and hear quite enough of that from Browns fans, thank you very much....

SidSmythe
01-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Wins are not "stats". They are results. The Steelers are also one of two teams to win multiple Super Bowls since 2004.

Being disappointed is okay. We're all disappointed. Having high expectations is okay. We all have high expectations.

But, there is no excuse for behaving like a spoiled, petulant child who didn't get their way. I see and hear quite enough of that from Browns fans, thank you very much....

Couldn't have said it better myself. :Clap
:Clap:ClapI live amongst BILLS fans who ENVY us.

lloydroid
01-01-2013, 04:03 PM

I wonder how many went from 6-3 to 7-8?

SidSmythe
01-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I wonder how many went from 6-3 to 7-8?

LloydDroid?? what do you do for a living??
Do you hold yourself to as high of a standard as you hold the Steelers Organization when it comes to being an employee???

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 05:26 PM
I was one who saw early on in the season that this wasn't a very good football team. I had posted a thread back in late September/early October called "The Window is Closed" in which I stated I felt it was closed however I also felt that window could be re-opened very quickly if the right moves were made. The fact that this team lost 5 games by 3 points or less shows they really aren't that far off. But some changes need to be made.

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 05:30 PM
LloydDroid?? what do you do for a living??
Do you hold yourself to as high of a standard as you hold the Steelers Organization when it comes to being an employee???

Sid, he does not want to give any credence to the fact that the Steelers franchise QB was injured after they were 6-3, and he does this because he hates Ben and he believes that Ben is not a very good QB. Dont waste your time on him. This is all an agenda for him.

SidSmythe
01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Sid, he does not want to give any credence to the fact that the Steelers franchise QB was injured after they were 6-3, and he does this because he hates Ben and he believes that Ben is not a very good QB. Dont waste your time on him. This is all an agenda for him.

Haters will always Hate. You're right!

MCHammer
01-01-2013, 05:51 PM
The problem with this team is complacency. I would have a lot less problem with an 8-8 record if we didn't play sloppy football each week. That is the problem. We win sloppy and we lose sloppy because this team cannot consistently play to its potential. I don't think it is spoiled or petulant to point that out as the fundamental problem with this team. Injuries or not, this team (as a whole) lacks focus and heart.

lloydroid
01-01-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't understand the disgust? RT's fall like flies,7th rd rookie playing RT, No 1st rd guard, O-line players playing out of position, OB hurt for 3 freaking games, WR's not trying an dropping balls, overweight "star" player hurt 90% of the time, RB problems overall, 4 "old" impact players coming off knee or other health issues, The #1 corner goes down, #2  corners miss time, QB still hurt or hurting after missing 3 games.

I am glad to be 8-8. There are still games we could have won EVEN WITH all the problems. But damn come on the other teams play also.

None of what say changes the fact that we lost to 4 teams that we should have beat with ease. Well, if not ease, (since this is the NFL) we should have beat them, period. Does every team sans the 1972 Fins have a loss like that each year? Yes. One, or two, wouldn't be a big deal; four is. That is not acceptable. And it main blame lies at the head coach, and Bone Head Ben - had Ben not played so loosey goosey, we'd be playing this week, period. Two game-losing pics that he simply didn't need to throw; he wasn't forced into them; the defenders didn't make a miraculous play. Ben just screwed up royally.

SS Laser
01-01-2013, 06:15 PM
I wonder do 3rd or 4th string players look as sound as MVP type players or starters? I wonder if consistency or focus is hard to do when every game a starter is hurt or already not playing. Do the steelers need more talent? Yes of course. Do some players need more focus and heart? Yep. But put just a few plays together this year and we are in the playoffs.

SS Laser
01-01-2013, 06:20 PM
None of what say changes the fact that we lost to 4 teams that we should have beat with ease. Well, if not ease, (since this is the NFL) we should have beat them, period. Does every team sans the 1972 Fins have a loss like that each year? Yes. One, or two, wouldn't be a big deal; four is. That is not acceptable. And it main blame lies at the head coach, and Bone Head Ben - had Ben not played so loosey goosey, we'd be playing this week, period. Two game-losing pics that he simply didn't need to throw; he wasn't forced into them; the defenders didn't make a miraculous play. Ben just screwed up royally.

Oh please. I guess the other 1000 times Ben has played loosey goosey for a great play and win does not matter. Keep haten on Ben he will be a Steeler for awhile.

lloydroid
01-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I wonder do 3rd or 4th string players look as sound as MVP type players or starters? I wonder if consistency or focus is hard to do when every game a starter is hurt or already not playing. Do the steelers need more talent? Yes of course. Do some players need more focus and heart? Yep. But put just a few plays together this year and we are in the playoffs.

And add in the Bonehead Ben plays, where he throws pics to lose games, and we are at home. And that is exactly what happened when we HAD TO WIN vs. Dallas and Cinci; Ben came up bonehead like usual. Add in the fact that Tomlin runs an undisciplined team, and we miss the post season.

SidSmythe
01-01-2013, 06:31 PM
And add in the Bonehead Ben plays, where he throws pics to lose games, and we are at home. And that is exactly what happened when we HAD TO WIN vs. Dallas and Cinci; Ben came up bonehead like usual. Add in the fact that Tomlin runs an undisciplined team, and we miss the post season.

I think they should just hire you...from the sounds of it you would win the Superbowl every year.
Buffalo is looking for a HC, u should apply even though you're over qualified

SS Laser
01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
The game SHOULD not come down to Ben throwing a pick or pulling a rabbit out of his butt. But it happens. I will take Ben all day long when the game is on the line. Sorry that he has bad games. I do think he is human. But to delusional fans he needs to always pull out the win. In real life and football it just does not happen. Just wait till the day he is gone. You will be happy again and the Steelers need to get a
QB that is better then Ben for delusional fans like you.

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 08:05 PM
The game SHOULD not come down to Ben throwing a pick or pulling a rabbit out of his butt. But it happens. I will take Ben all day long when the game is on the line. Sorry that he has bad games. I do think he is human. But to delusional fans he needs to always pull out the win. In real life and football it just does not happen. Just wait till the day he is gone. You will be happy again and the Steelers need to get a
QB that is better then Ben for delusional fans like you.

Cha-ching!! Straight money post. Thanks SS for speaking the truth and seeing the actual big picture. :Cheers

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 08:07 PM
I think they should just hire you...from the sounds of it you would win the Superbowl every year.
Buffalo is looking for a HC, u should apply even though you're over qualified

He would eventually wind up being unhappy with himself. It is his nature.:lol:

SS Laser
01-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Cha-ching!! Straight money post. Thanks SS for speaking the truth and seeing the actual big picture. :Cheers

Some of these guys act like we are the worse team in the NFL. I know there is a fine line between wins and loses.

supersteeler
01-01-2013, 08:33 PM
We had back to back 12-4 Seasons prior to this season. With a new OC I didn't expect us to win as many, but I did think we could go 10-6 which would of put us in the playoffs.
Injuries hurt this team, there is no question about it. I'm disappointed too, but this team never quit trying outside of the Charger game. They just had an emotional win against the Rats and couldn't get up for the Bolts they were flat.

I don't care what their record was this season, I'm proud to be a Steelers fan...still have the signs in the yard.

" HOME OF A STEELERS FAN "

squidkid
01-01-2013, 10:08 PM
do we get a trophy for that or something?

MCHammer
01-02-2013, 10:56 AM
We had back to back 12-4 Seasons prior to this season....I don't care what their record was this season, I'm proud to be a Steelers fan...still have the signs in the yard.

I don't think anyone is here is not proud to be a Steelers fan. Here is the thing from my perspective. Past success is great, but they could have won the Super Bowl for the past 10 straight years and that would not excuse their sloppy and garbage performance this year. I do care what their record is, but what I care about more than the record is how the Steelers play the game. They played it quite poorly this year and from my view much of the problem was a complacency or entitlement attitude against the so-called scrub teams. To make matters worse, this tendency has reared its ugly head before and will do so again unless something changes in how this team prepares and/or motivates itself to play each week.

Slapstick
01-02-2013, 12:07 PM
They played quite poorly and yet were in a position to win most of their games...