PDA

View Full Version : If you believe in rumors....

lloydroid
12-31-2012, 08:14 PM
.....Harrison and Starks are done as Steelers. I want changes, but those seem like two of the worst losses we could have, all things considered. If they are willing to dump Harrison, then Polamalu should go as well. It's not like the D was hurting after they learned to play without him - it was still #1 without him playing. And they did it for most of the season.

I would hate to see how bad the O line plays sans Starks. They would be just awful. Ben would get knocked out for the season.

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Harrison will be 35 years old and is on the injury downside of his career. Not so sure that is going to be in the "worse loss" category. Polamalu will be 32 next year. It would be foolish to let him go.

I agree on Starks. He has developed into a descent LT.

D Rock
12-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Harrison really turned it on down the stretch, getting back to being a nearly sack-a-game player. He's got a VERY large cap number, but I think he still has at least another year left in him if it is financially sound to keep him around.

phillyesq
12-31-2012, 08:50 PM
The Steelers defense struggled early in the year. Not coincidentally, James Harrison did not play the first four games this year.

Harrison is on the downside of his career but still played well. His cap number is an issue, and hopefully he takes a pay cut, but it will be a big loss if he does not return.

Slapstick
12-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Harrison plays the run well. He does not cover well. Nor is he as feared as a pass rusher. The Steelers can't pay a guy that much to stuff the run....I am a huge Harrison fan. If he can regain his pass-rushing form, I can agree with paying him lots of money. Can he?

Snatch98
12-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Harrison plays the run well. He does not cover well. Nor is he as feared as a pass rusher. The Steelers can't pay a guy that much to stuff the run....I am a huge Harrison fan. If he can regain his pass-rushing form, I can agree with paying him lots of money. Can he?

I actually think he can AND if he can't he'll retire. IMO

Captain Lemming
12-31-2012, 11:37 PM
.....Harrison and Starks are done as Steelers. I want changes, but those seem like two of the worst losses we could have, all things considered. If they are willing to dump Harrison, then Polamalu should go as well. It's not like the D was hurting after they learned to play without him - it was still #1 without him playing. And they did it for most of the season.

I would hate to see how bad the O line plays sans Starks. They would be just awful. Ben would get knocked out for the season.

Could not agree more on both guys LD.
I almost feel like the layoff did JH some good and he was getting better as the season progressed. Hee would have had a scary good playoff.

And why Max gets no love I will never understand.
I dont want either on the youngsters starting on the left side.

supersteeler
12-31-2012, 11:59 PM
If Max Leaves, the Steelers better stock up on QB's or Health Miller might end up playing QB in a pinch.

SteelBucks
01-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Luckily I don't believe in rumors.

Seriously though, I can see the Steelers cutting ties with Harrison. His age, slight decline in play and salary might force the Steelers hand...I'd hate to see it though.

supersteeler
01-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Gilbert is on crutches and in a boot, as the surgery revealed a congenital problem that needs to be corrected in the other foot as well in a couple years.

Max keeps leaving the Steelers every year it seems, but in the end he comes back to save Ben's Back. A must sign IMO.

D Rock
01-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Gilbert is on crutches and in a boot, as the surgery revealed a congenital problem that needs to be corrected in the other foot as well in a couple years.

Max keeps leaving the Steelers every year it seems, but in the end he comes back to save Ben's Back. A must sign IMO.

Do you have a source or any other info on that Gilbert story. I'd like to know more about that whole thing.

If that keeps him out of the lineup, it will also keep 4 other guys in the lineup and overall be a positive for the team.

jj28west
01-01-2013, 01:52 AM
sad but true

Do you have a source or any other info on that Gilbert story. I'd like to know more about that whole thing.

If that keeps him out of the lineup, it will also keep 4 other guys in the lineup and overall be a positive for the team.

thor75
01-01-2013, 02:06 AM
where's the rumor that they cut Colon and Hampton? Two that are more worthy of ending their Steeler careers. While typing this, Colon held down the caps lock and hampton ate the mouse. Oops, sorry.

Oviedo
01-01-2013, 10:57 AM
where's the rumor that they cut Colon and Hampton? Two that are more worthy of ending their Steeler careers. While typing this, Colon held down the caps lock and hampton ate the mouse. Oops, sorry.

Cutting Colon will be cost prohibitive. He will be back next year.

fezziwig
01-01-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't get the love loss for Starks either. Not a trouble maker, doesn't make the news, well spoken, always represented the Steelers well and he's a decent to very good player at the tackle and guard spots.
I understand Harrison being shown the door. I don't understand how they felt Colon was so valuable and Starks isn't. Maybe this is why Ben pops off once in a while, he might nt understand the back door politics either.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't get the love loss for Starks either. Not a trouble maker, doesn't make the news, well spoken, always represented the Steelers well and he's a decent to very good player at the tackle and guard spots.
I understand Harrison being shown the door. I don't understand how they felt Colon was so valuable and Starks isn't. Maybe this is why Ben pops off once in a while, he might nt understand the back door politics either.

I know someone that hangs out with Starks and he says Tomlin never liked him. I think Tomlin has a huge ego. Max never needed football to be rich and successful as he is a very smart person. Was voted young mortician of the year for the state of Florida as a teenager. Maybe Tomlin wants to feel intellectually superior to the players and having a guy around that can use bigger words than him is a dent to his ego.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 11:23 AM
More fascinating than what Starks has done is what he's into. Starks, at 6-foot-8, 345 pounds, is the former president of the Florida Junior Morticians Association.

"I saw my first dead body when I was 4," Starks said. "The toy room wasn't far from the morgue in my grandma's house. When I got older, I'd do pickups, go to hospices or morgues in the Kissimmee area. You move the body onto a cot and roll the body into the hearse. No big deal, really. I learned at a young age."

It's no wonder Starks hasn't panicked against the likes of Mississippi State, Georgia and Florida State this season. It's almost impossible to faze Starks, who instead shocks you with his passion for Phantom of the Opera, Faust and Beethoven.

Starks hopes to be a doctor, but a first-round draft choice is more likely. After all, six of his family members, including father Ross Browner, have played in the NFL.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2001-11-25/sports/0111250143_1_starks-last-season-max-starks-mike-pearson

kindlecatsb'ng
01-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks for sharing. Interesting. He has always appeared very articulate to me in listening to him speak.

Kindle

SidSmythe
01-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Starks will be back unless the team really believes that either GILBERT or ADAMS will start at LT.
Starks has been available for 2 straight years with no teams showing interest. Don't think that will change this offseason

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Starks will be back unless the team really believes that either GILBERT or ADAMS will start at LT.
Starks has been available for 2 straight years with no teams showing interest. Don't think that will change this offseason

Not so sure about that. He was coming off injuries each of the past two seasons leaving questions. He enters this offseason coming off a very good and injury free season. Steelers would be smart to sign him early on and leave Gilbert and Adams to fight it out at RT.

SidSmythe
01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Not so sure about that. He was coming off injuries each of the past two seasons leaving questions. He enters this offseason coming off a very good and injury free season. Steelers would be smart to sign him early on and leave Gilbert and Adams to fight it out at RT.

With our cap situation I don't see that happening.
Our only hope of bringing Starks back is if he gets no interest and comes back on another minimum contract.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 12:17 PM
With our cap situation I don't see that happening.
Our only hope of bringing Starks back is if he gets no interest and comes back on another minimum contract.

The way the Pats and Giants tried to rebuild was to go young on defense, especially the secondaries, and score more points. Seems to have worked for one team and have mixed results for the other.

lloydroid
01-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I know someone that hangs out with Starks and he says Tomlin never liked him. I think Tomlin has a huge ego. Max never needed football to be rich and successful as he is a very smart person. Was voted young mortician of the year for the state of Florida as a teenager. Maybe Tomlin wants to feel intellectually superior to the players and having a guy around that can use bigger words than him is a dent to his ego.

Interesting. That makes some sense. It never seems appropriate, in how much the Steelers don't seem to value Max.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Interesting. That makes some sense. It never seems appropriate, in how much the Steelers don't seem to value Max.

We treat Max like we have a pro bowl caliber LT pushing him out the door, and then you look and we have Trai Essex, Gilbert, Jonathan Scott, Mike Adams, and other crappy or totally unproven options and wonder WTF the Steelers are thinking. Then we have other players that do have top draft picks waiting behind them and they can stay as long as they want.

NorthCoast
01-01-2013, 04:40 PM
I believe Starks will be resigned to a long term contract, but I think Harrison may not return unless he is willing to drastically cut his pay. Gotta make room for young guys in the cap and I am sure he understands this. Now the question; is he willing to take one for the team who rewarded him with the largest contract for a LB in team history a few years ago?

Oviedo
01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
I believe Starks will be resigned to a long term contract, but I think Harrison may not return unless he is willing to drastically cut his pay. Gotta make room for young guys in the cap and I am sure he understands this. Now the question; is he willing to take one for the team who rewarded him with the largest contract for a LB in team history a few years ago?

I agree. Ben will lobby hard for Starks. Harrison proved he can give you some good games but the dominance he had is gone forever. He would need to take a major pay cut to stay around down to the $2-3M range.

supersteeler
01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
The Steelers might not sign him, then after lets say the third game when Ben looks like Mike tyson knocked him out, Starks will be back at LT saving the Steelers once again.:)

jj28west
01-01-2013, 09:43 PM
That is interesting.

squidkid
01-01-2013, 10:06 PM
harrision is gone and should be unless he is willing to play for a miliion or two.
i would like to keep starks at a decent price but at some point you have to let your early round draft picks play.
troy should be asked to take a huge cut and play on an incentive laden contract
we are just plain screwed with woodley contract, colons too!

ikestops85
01-02-2013, 10:53 AM
harrision is gone and should be unless he is willing to play for a miliion or two.
i would like to keep starks at a decent price but at some point you have to let your early round draft picks play.
troy should be asked to take a huge cut and play on an incentive laden contract
we are just plain screwed with woodley contract, colons too!

A million or two?:wft

What are you talking about? Harrison may not be what he once was but he certainly isn't a has-been. The guy is still one of the top backers in the league and you won't touch him for less than 5 million a year ... nor should you.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-02-2013, 11:02 AM
If Harrison was playing ILB or OLB in a 4-3, he would be worth keeping under 2 mil. He is not worth keeping for 10 mil as a 3-4 OLB. His play is worth under 2 mil as an OLB in a 3-4 because he may see the bench in 2013. Sorry...He is a favorite but the wheels have come off. There is no way they could fix his contract status so he will be a cut or he "may" listen to the Steelers when they tell him he is done & retire. Harrison & Hampton gave the Steelers a handful of plays where they looked like they were still in the glory. But that amount of plays is nothing to their snap counts.

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Hampton's contract is up. He's an unrestricted free agent who can sign anywhere he wants as soon as the free agent signing period begins this offseason.

phillyesq
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM

That's interesting. I had always heard that there was a split between coaching staff and the FO on Starks (which seemed apparent from the way he was signed/used) but I was under the impression that it was BA that didn't like him, not Tomlin.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
If Harrison was playing ILB or OLB in a 4-3, he would be worth keeping under 2 mil. He is not worth keeping for 10 mil as a 3-4 OLB. His play is worth under 2 mil as an OLB in a 3-4 because he may see the bench in 2013. Sorry...He is a favorite but the wheels have come off. There is no way they could fix his contract status so he will be a cut or he "may" listen to the Steelers when they tell him he is done & retire. Harrison & Hampton gave the Steelers a handful of plays where they looked like they were still in the glory. But that amount of plays is nothing to their snap counts.

Harrison was playing pretty well by the end of the season, and would be playing well enough to be a starter again next season...but not for $10 million. If he would be willing to take a pay cut, I'd keep him for another go-around.

I don't think Hampton will be back.

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Starks wasn't worth the $7 million contract we were paying him a few years ago, but he's worth more than the veteran minimum deals that we've been giving him for the last couple of seasons. He's entering his 10 season in the league and is a solid vet who offers more stability than the likes of Adams or Gilbert for us, but he's not going to be a guy who is necessarily going to break the bank on the free agent market either. Offer him a reasonable short term deal that at least doubles his veteran minimum salary, and let him see if he can get more out on the open market. That about all we can do.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I agree. Ben will lobby hard for Starks.

I'd like to see Max stay, but I'm a little tired of hearing about this team making personnel decisions based on what Ben wants. Remember one of the last guys Ben lobbied hard for? A certain penalty-machine O-lineman who can't stay healthy but takes up a considerable chunk of cap space?

Ben needs to concentrate on improving his game, and stay out of the personnel decisions.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Harrison was playing pretty well by the end of the season, and would be playing well enough to be a starter again next season...but not for $10 million. If he would be willing to take a pay cut, I'd keep him for another go-around.

I don't think Hampton will be back.
Your "pretty well" comment should be enough to understand why Harrison will be cut. Like I said, Harrison isn't playing well enough as a 3-4 OLB especially at his tag. Simply saying take a pay cut doesn't answer the question. Harrison is scheduled to make a little over 10 mil next season. Based upon vet min, past restructure, & bonuses...The cheapest he could play for is around 5 mil. Harrison would have to agree to that but more importantly...Is he worth 5 mil & could the Steelers afford that money dedicated to a 35 year old in his last year? Answer is no. Worst case scenario...You go with Worilds, Carter, or Robinson. Hopefully a high draft choice wins the spot. You take that 5 mil and keep your young talent.

Captain Lemming
01-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Your "pretty well" comment should be enough to understand why Harrison will be cut. Like I said, Harrison isn't playing well enough as a 3-4 OLB especially at his tag. Simply saying take a pay cut doesn't answer the question. Harrison is scheduled to make a little over 10 mil next season. Based upon vet min, past restructure, & bonuses...The cheapest he could play for is around 5 mil. Harrison would have to agree to that but more importantly...Is he worth 5 mil & could the Steelers afford that money dedicated to a 35 year old in his last year? Answer is no. Worst case scenario...You go with Worilds, Carter, or Robinson. Hopefully a high draft choice wins the spot. You take that 5 mil and keep your young talent.

Actually he is very much worth 5 mil a year. He is STILL our best OLBer, and only Timmons can compare to a 35 year old Harrison among ALL our LBers.

When JH was out our defense was absolutely pathetic. With JH back we climbed back to number one.
He had a sack in 5 of the last seven games. Had 11 tackles in the last game of the season.

Woodley by comparison had around HALF the tackles that Harrison had.

Harrison bested Woodleys CAREER HIGH for tackles in a season where he missed September and came back slowly in October.

Aging Harrison had more total tackles (70) than ANY probowl OLBer in a season when he MISSED A MONTH.

Clay Matthews, a probowler in his prime in full health in 16 games had 43 tackles compared to Harrisons 70.

Aging injured JH is STILL the best run stopping 3/4 OLBER in this league bar none, and he closed the season with a sack in 5 of 7 games an elite pass rush level by any standard.

Were it not for the fear of injury he would be ALL the money he is scheduled to make with no pay cut.

Dude is worth more than 5 mil.....easy.

You think we got guys on the bench who can replace that when PROWBOWLERS cant do what an aging JH does routinely.

Again look at our defense at without JH. Remember what the stinkin RAIDERS looked like against us.

THAT is what you have when JH aint playin.

papillon
01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Actually he is very much worth 5 mil a year. He is STILL our best OLBer, and only Timmons can compare to a 35 year old Harrison among ALL our LBers.

When JH was out our defense was absolutely pathetic. With JH back we climbed back to number one.
He had a sack in 5 of the last seven games. Had 11 tackles in the last game of the season.

Harrison bested Woodleys CAREER HIGH for tackles in a season where he missed September and came back slowly in October.

Aging Harrison had more total tackles (70) than ANY probowl OLBer in a season when he MISSED A MONTH.

Clay Matthews, a probowler in his prime in full health in 16 games had 43 tackles compared to Harrisons 70.

Aging injured JH is STILL the best run stopping 3/4 OLBER in this league bar none, and he closed the season with a sack in 5 of 7 games an elite pass rush level by any standard.

Were it not for the fear of injury he would be ALL the money he is scheduled to make with no pay cut.

You think we got guys on the bench who can replace that when PROWBOWLERS cant do what an aging JH does routinely.

Again look at our defense at without JH. Remember what the stinkin RAIDERS looked like against us.

:Bow

His replacement isn't on the roster and there isn't a college player stepping and being as productive as #92. He got on the field in about the 4th game and the defense began ist slow ascent to being very good, by the final 4 games of the year the defense had my confidence that they could produce stops when it was necessary. 92 isn't done from an effort and skill standpoint and he's going into the off season healthy for the first time in two years. 5 million, 10 million he's still the best option and worth it, unfortunately the Steelers are in cap hell and that will be the issue, not whether 92 can still play or not.

It's hard to believe the production that fans take for granted with Harrison. 70 freaking tackles (minus 4 games, that's 93 over 16 games folks) for an OLB in 34 defense and a lot of them from the backside and just pure hustle. James should stay by any means necessary, IMO.

Pappy

D Rock
01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Harrison is without a doubt worth his cap numbers from 2009-2011...~6 million
His cap number from 2012 is probably about the max of his value - ~9 million
His cap number for 2013 is gonna be ~10 million as a 35 y.o. LB. I just can't see how that one works out with the current problems the team has with the cap.

Even worse than Harrison's contract is Woodley's....13.24 million cap hit this year and he is no where near the LB'er the 35 year old Harrison will be.

Captain Lemming
01-04-2013, 03:07 PM
His cap number for 2013 is gonna be ~10 million as a 35 y.o. LB. I just can't see how that one works out with the current problems the team has with the cap.

Agreed.....but the idea of not even attempting a restructure is ridiculous. 5 mil is a STEAL. I'd suggest 7 or 8 per season is fair, due to injury concerns.

phillyesq
01-04-2013, 03:16 PM

Very well said.

We saw what happened when the Steelers tried to plug the gap with Carter - the results were abysmal.

The player who was perhaps most impacted by Harrison is Timmons. Prior to Harrison's return, Timmons averaged a mere 4 tackles per game and made no splash plays. After Harrison returned, he averaged about 7.25 tackles per game and recorded all of his sacks, INTs, etc.

Harrison not only remains a force - he elevates those around him.

The issue with Harrison is this - he's going to take up a lot of cap space regardless of whether he's kept or not. Can they replace his production for less than the dead money + salary of the replacement -- the answer to that is almost certainly no.

D Rock
01-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Agreed.....but the idea of not even attempting a restructure is ridiculous. 5 mil is a STEAL. I'd suggest 7 or 8 per season is fair, due to injury concerns.

That's not a realistic option for Harrison because he only has 2 years left on his contract. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/james-harrison/

To restructure him this year you have to take some base salary and turn it into bonus between this year and next year. If you do that then you ensure yourself even more cap problems next year when you have no choice but to keep him on the roster or cut him and take all of that money you just restructured from 2012 and eat it as dead money.

I'd say you either make the choice now and cut him and suffer the consequences of worse play, or keep him at his full value this year and probably cut him with minimal dead money next year. Neither one seems like a particularly good option.

Oviedo
01-04-2013, 04:10 PM

Even worse than Harrison's contract is Woodley's....13.24 million cap hit this year and he is no where near the LB'er the 35 year old Harrison will be.

That is exactly why we are in the cap mess we are in. We have done everything on earth to keep a defense together in a league that more and more is all about the offense.

This is why I constantly harp about how we can no longer afford to have defensive player take a two year train up period. We need to have a defense they can step into and contribute right away because we may not be able to keep everyone we want to keep for their second contracts. The numbers just won't work and the system is unsustainable to get minimal production for two years out of a player when they are on three year contracts.

lloydroid
01-04-2013, 04:31 PM

:D hahahahah

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-04-2013, 04:57 PM

JH is not being paid 5 mil next year...He will be making over 10 mil. JH would have to agree to a paycut to play for 5 mil. Is he worth 5 mil for 1 year if it means losing your young talent? Absolutely not. That is based on his production too.

You are going to boast tackles for a 3-4 OLB? His job is to get to the QB. Mathews had 13 sacks. That is why he is in the PB.

JH was on the field for 6 of those 8 losses. He was on the field the last seven where the Steelers went 2-5. You say how horrible they looked against the Raiders...They gave up 34 points. Harrison was on the field at home when the gave up 34 to SD. THAT is what we got with JH playin. It isn't all on him by no means but he was not a difference maker. Woodley deserves alot of criticism too but he is much younger and has a workable contract. It is just business.

He gave the Steelers 6 sacks over 13 games he started. That would be 7 if he played 16 as a 3-4 OLB. 86 tackles & 7 sacks for a 35 year old 10 million dollar man is not worth it in my eyes! The same stats for 5 mil isn't worth it either if I have to let young talent go. That is where the Steelers are at. If he was late 20's with those numbers..He had a down year but this conversation wouldn't be taking place. Cheaper Alternate that may get that production...Worilds only started 3 games and had a significant less snap count than JH & he put up 26 & 5. I'm not saying Worilds is JH or ever will be but...Neither is JH.

We could argue all day about this issue. Bottom line is the Steelers went 8-8 holding on to aging vets. JH was one of many that didn't play up to par. He has regressed. Even 100% healthy...He isn't the same player. If you watched the games and he stood out...You were watching your DVR from years past. His production doesn't equal his contract and the Steelers can't afford to let talent walk out the door and over pay him. You believe he is...That is fine. If I'm the GM...The business side of the game tells me to say goodbye & Thanks. I could get his production at this point in his career out of Worilds & look for his replacment if I feel he isn't on the roster. I need to invest in the future of the Steelers...Not past icons.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
If I was to guess how it goes down...It would be this. Harrison would have to take the pay cut to remain a Steeler. If he doesn't, they will cut him. Playing at 5 mil would be the same as 5 mil dead space. It would be a wash but minus 1 roster spot. I would be ok with cutting him or keeping him if he takes a pay cut. My personal feeling is he isn't worth the 5 mil and roster spot but that isn't up to me.

steelfin
01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
JH is not being paid 5 mil next year...He will be making over 10 mil. JH would have to agree to a paycut to play for 5 mil. Is he worth 5 mil for 1 year if it means losing your young talent? Absolutely not. That is based on his production too.

You are going to boast tackles for a 3-4 OLB? His job is to get to the QB. Mathews had 13 sacks. That is why he is in the PB.

JH was on the field for 6 of those 8 losses. He was on the field the last seven where the Steelers went 2-5. You say how horrible they looked against the Raiders...They gave up 34 points. Harrison was on the field at home when the gave up 34 to SD. THAT is what we got with JH playin. It isn't all on him by no means but he was not a difference maker. Woodley deserves alot of criticism too but he is much younger and has a workable contract. It is just business.

He gave the Steelers 6 sacks over 13 games he started. That would be 7 if he played 16 as a 3-4 OLB. 86 tackles & 7 sacks for a 35 year old 10 million dollar man is not worth it in my eyes! The same stats for 5 mil isn't worth it either if I have to let young talent go. That is where the Steelers are at. If he was late 20's with those numbers..He had a down year but this conversation wouldn't be taking place. Cheaper Alternate that may get that production...Worilds only started 3 games and had a significant less snap count than JH & he put up 26 & 5. I'm not saying Worilds is JH or ever will be but...Neither is JH.

We could argue all day about this issue. Bottom line is the Steelers went 8-8 holding on to aging vets. JH was one of many that didn't play up to par. He has regressed. Even 100% healthy...He isn't the same player. If you watched the games and he stood out...You were watching your DVR from years past. His production doesn't equal his contract and the Steelers can't afford to let talent walk out the door and over pay him. You believe he is...That is fine. If I'm the GM...The business side of the game tells me to say goodbye & Thanks. I could get his production at this point in his career out of Worilds & look for his replacment if I feel he isn't on the roster. I need to invest in the future of the Steelers...Not past icons.

The OLB in the Steeler scheme has more responsibility than rushing the passer....However I will agree it is probably the main priority.

The defense was not an issue in the majority of the losses you are referring to...

He didnt play up to par because of injury...I would agree that it will be probably be difficult for him to regain his old form..but he still out performed Woodley.

I also agree that he is not worth the cap number...but who do we have to replace him? Certainly not Worilds...

Tough decisions and somehow we still need to increase QB pressure...

Shoe
01-04-2013, 10:55 PM
I actually think he can AND if he can't he'll retire. IMO

In the case of 99% of players, you trust your eyes. My eyes said that Harrison is a shell of himself, what with back and knee surgeries in back-to-back years (and at his age). My eyes also saw a guy who obviously failed to live up to his reputation as a pass-rusher. My eyes also watched him lumber around like a big tank, seeming to arrive a step late (where in other years, he arrived with a BANG). That all being said, he needs to go.

HOWEVER... if any player has earned a "Chance Card" (i.e. monopoly), it's Harrison. If I were the coaching staff, I'd talk with him. I'd get a sense of where he thinks he's at. Normally, I would never listen to the player because they'll obviously think they have "one more year" in them. In Harrison's case, I think he's earned it. If he seemed hungry and out to prove himself, I'd keep him. Otherwise, I'd let him walk.