PDA

View Full Version : If he could come relatively affordable, could the Steelers make a run at..

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Rey Maualuga?

from the following article...

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_defensive_draft_needs_replacements_for_ja mes_harrison_troy_polamalu_and_ryan_clark_must_be_ addressed/12548104

"As for free agents there are a couple of intriguing names out there. One that the Steelers should definitely kick the tires on is Rey Maualuga a middle linebacker who has plays for the Bengals. Maualuga has lost snaps to rookie Vontaze Burfict and may not be retained in free agency. If the price is right Maualuga could be the perfect compliment to Timmons in the middle of the Steelers 3-4 alignment."

winwithd
12-31-2012, 07:25 PM
I liked him coming out in the draft. Thought he would have looked good in B&G. Liked the way he hit and it had a little bit of nastiness to it. If he got beat out by an UDFA it had better be a good price and I'd like to see what we have in Spence.

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 07:29 PM
I liked him coming out in the draft. Thought he would have looked good in B&G. Liked the way he hit and it had a little bit of nastiness to it. If he got beat out by an UDFA it had better be a good price and I'd like to see what we have in Spence.

Regardless of the "if he got beat out" stuff...he had more tackles than any Steeler did this year. He had a pretty good year.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Would be an interesting pickup for sure...

Sugar
12-31-2012, 07:57 PM

My understanding was that Burfict was considered a top LB, but that he had major character concerns so no one took him in the draft. Rey could be a good player for us, IMO. I'm sure Troy could be a good influence on him with their shared USC and Polynesian heritage.

Snatch98
12-31-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm all aboard this train. He'd be a great fit in the black and gold and spence has A LOT of ground to make up even when you don't consider the injury. I really liked Spence coming out. It certainly can't hurt to have the depth. We've seen that this year.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Even if Spence comes back even 100% what he was that makes no guarantee to say he is anything more than another Goo Wallace, Sly Sylvester, or that level of ILB. I mean the hope is there but Spence didn't even get to showcase in the preseason. Were there any real positive reports out of training camp or mini camps even on him or is it pure speculation Spence is anything more than a special teamer?

Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to add an ILB like Rey.

Snatch98
12-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Even if Spence comes back even 100% what he was that makes no guarantee to say he is anything more than another Goo Wallace, Sly Sylvester, or that level of ILB. I mean the hope is there but Spence didn't even get to showcase in the preseason. Were there any real positive reports out of training camp or mini camps even on him or is it pure speculation Spence is anything more than a special teamer?

Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to add an ILB like Rey.

I remember reading that they were pretty happy with Spence before the injury, so much so that they expected him to contribute immediately. I could be wrong on that but I swear I remember reading it. However you are correct. A LOT of variables involved with Spence AND it can't hurt to add a guy like maualuga. If they could do it, it could be a Farrior like signing.

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 09:54 PM
If for some reason this were to happen I'd then want the Steelers to draft NT Jesse Williams. If you keep Maualuga and Timmons clean they could make a lot of splash plays.

Shoe
12-31-2012, 10:04 PM
How miscast (if at all) was he, in Cincy's defense? Is the difference between 4-3 MLB or 3-4 ILB in our D substantial? If so, I would consider him (though I don't like that he comes from a division rival).

If the difference isn't that big, then I don't see much value in bringing him in when we can already have Foote.

winwithd
12-31-2012, 10:06 PM
My understanding was that Burfict was considered a top LB, but that he had major character concerns so no one took him in the draft. Rey could be a good player for us, IMO. I'm sure Troy could be a good influence on him with their shared USC and Polynesian heritage.

Does Rey have character issues? As great of a guy as Troy is, I dont know if he is the mentoring type. I was hoping Troy could help Ta'amu along too. And maybe he still will.

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 10:12 PM
How miscast (if at all) was he, in Cincy's defense? Is the difference between 4-3 MLB or 3-4 ILB in our D substantial? If so, I would consider him (though I don't like that he comes from a division rival).

If the difference isn't that big, then I don't see much value in bringing him in when we can already have Foote.

Maualuga is 25 years old (will turn 26 in a few weeks). I think he is better suited for a 3-4. He like Timmons can be used to come after the QB from the inside. In a traditional 4-3 MLB role like this past year in Cincinnati he doesn't get to do that all that much. But, he is also coming off of his best year (122 tackles), and appears to have improved every year in the league. At USC he played in both systems. I feel he made more splash plays playing in the 3-4.

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Does Rey have character issues? As great of a guy as Troy is, I dont know if he is the mentoring type. I was hoping Troy could help Ta'amu along too. And maybe he still will.

Well he did get into trouble a couple of times (bar fight), and had a DUI. But as far as his charter I think he is very good. We all make mistakes.

fordfixer
12-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Do you really think he would be that cheap?

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 10:28 PM
122 tackles Maualuga 1 sack 0 FF 0 INT
113 tackles Foote 4 sacks 2 FF 0 INT
106 tackles Timmons 6 sacks 2 FF 3 INT

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Do you really think he would be that cheap?

Probably not. Just repeating what the article had suggested may be possible.

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 10:32 PM
122 tackles Maualuga 1 sack 0 FF 0 INT
113 tackles Foote 4 sacks 2 FF 0 INT
106 tackles Timmons 6 sacks 2 FF 3 INT

I think if Maualuga played in a 3-4 and had Timmons next to him you would see more splash plays. But the number that impresses me more is 26 and 33. The ages of Maualuga and Foote next year.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 11:14 PM
I think if Maualuga played in a 3-4 and had Timmons next to him you would see more splash plays. But the number that impresses me more is 26 and 33. The ages of Maualuga and Foote next year.

That is a good point. I don't think Foote will be super cheap to keep so allocating a little more for a younger, more impact type ILB might be a smart pickup.

thor75
01-01-2013, 02:57 AM
I think this would be a great addition imho. bowman-willis in san fran, urlacher-briggs in chicago.... Timmons and Maualuga is very very tempting. can we pony up is the question, we may lose ramon foster in the process.

flippy
01-01-2013, 03:08 AM
I'd be more inclined to bring back Foote and draft an ILB to compete with Spence in the future. I think Spence is exactly what we need in this new NFL. Foote's solid for now. Not to mention, without Foote, we really have 0 vocal guys on D and I think leadership is a bit of an issue on this team.

Oviedo
01-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I remember reading that they were pretty happy with Spence before the injury, so much so that they expected him to contribute immediately. I could be wrong on that but I swear I remember reading it. However you are correct. A LOT of variables involved with Spence AND it can't hurt to add a guy like maualuga. If they could do it, it could be a Farrior like signing.

True but Spence's injury will probably cost him a potentially great career. I doubt he can get all the way back in 2013.

Chadman
01-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Given that the Steelers face potentially multiple roster/cap problems, it might simply be easier, and safer to go with the guy you know & re-sign Foote. This gives the team another year to evaluate Spence, see how he recovers from his injury, and get him ready to play a larger role.

Fact is, despite everyone wanting to bag him, Foote went pretty well this year. On top of that, he might be one of the older heads next season, and his prescence might be of benefit to the younger guys trying to learn 'the Steeler Way'. The Steelers could even draft a young, athletic mid-round guy to push Sylvester, or potentially have higher responsibilities down the track.

Here's the thing- the ILB's went quite well for the Steelers this year DESPITE a less than dominant performance from the DL who are supposed to help make the LB's look good. How will the ILB's look next year if the NT^position gets upgraded?

Oviedo
01-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Given that the Steelers face potentially multiple roster/cap problems, it might simply be easier, and safer to go with the guy you know & re-sign Foote. This gives the team another year to evaluate Spence, see how he recovers from his injury, and get him ready to play a larger role.

Fact is, despite everyone wanting to bag him, Foote went pretty well this year. On top of that, he might be one of the older heads next season, and his prescence might be of benefit to the younger guys trying to learn 'the Steeler Way'. The Steelers could even draft a young, athletic mid-round guy to push Sylvester, or potentially have higher responsibilities down the track.

Here's the thing- the ILB's went quite well for the Steelers this year DESPITE a less than dominant performance from the DL who are supposed to help make the LB's look good. How will the ILB's look next year if the NT^position gets upgraded?

On a scale of 1-10 Foote was probably somewhere between 6 and 7. He is however where Farrior was and that is a major liability in pass coverage. In today's league that create major problems.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 11:31 AM
On a scale of 1-10 Foote was probably somewhere between 6 and 7. He is however where Farrior was and that is a major liability in pass coverage. In today's league that create major problems.

Agree with this. And even though Spence is small he isn't fast. He just reacts well but ran like a 4.7 40yds at the combine. And that was pre knee shredding.

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 03:08 PM

Chad, could you imagine the splash plays Maualuga and Timmons could make coming forward if they were kept clean by a guy in front of them like Jesse Williams? Maualuga is 26 and Foote is 33. If it is the same money or close to it why not get the younger better player? And Maualuga has never had the luxury of playing for a defensive coordinator like LeBeau. He will improve. And you can bet his ceiling hasnt been reached. Larry Foote's ceiling is long gone.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Not a great game by Rey today...his weaknesses were exposed by the Texans. Don't know if he'd be much of an upgrade over Foote. And I think he might end up costing quite a bit more than Foote.

BigRob
01-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Not a great game by Rey today...his weaknesses were exposed by the Texans. Don't know if he'd be much of an upgrade over Foote. And I think he might end up costing quite a bit more than Foote.

Yep, he was exposed again today. He's just not very good. He's no good in coverage and sucks in space trying to tackle backs. He only gets tackles when their terrific d-line ties the backs up inside.

Foote had 15 more solo tackles than him this year. Why would we want to replace him with someone worse again?

Get over the love you had for him when he was at USC. There is a reason two other players went before him in that draft.

SuperSize
01-05-2013, 10:05 PM
He looked pretty pathetic today.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-05-2013, 10:45 PM
keep that stiff as far away from pittsburgh as you can.

just awful today.

supersteeler
01-05-2013, 10:52 PM
No thanks, he looked like Molasses out there in coverage. Foote can still play and I think he had a decent year, but everyone seems to want to can him.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2013, 11:41 PM
No thanks, he looked like Molasses out there in coverage. Foote can still play and I think he had a decent year, but everyone seems to want to can him.

I think Larry Foote is an adequate ILB, not great and not bad.

in my opinion, we have a lot bigger problems on this team than Larry Foote...

feltdizz
01-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Rey was a beast in college but I don't remember ever hearing his name in a Steeler Bungles game. He looked bad today... He had a DUI a few years ago, hit a few cars with his piece of crap car in northern Kentucky. I think we kicked up with Troy... For some reason Somoans love alcohol and cheap cars... I remember a story about Troy driving a fughit bucket his second or third year in the league.

I would stick with Foote and hope Spence is healthy next year to take over on 2014.

SidSmythe
01-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I'd take another year of FOOTE over "Male Eh Ooga" .... I think we need to pick an ILB in the 1st two rounds and hope Spence recovers.

Dee Dub
01-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Yep, he was exposed again today. He's just not very good. He's no good in coverage and sucks in space trying to tackle backs. He only gets tackles when their terrific d-line ties the backs up inside.

Foote had 15 more solo tackles than him this year. Why would we want to replace him with someone worse again?

Get over the love you had for him when he was at USC. There is a reason two other players went before him in that draft.

You guys crack me up. Rey Maualuga wouldn't be doing the bulk of the covering for the Steelers ILB's. It would be Timmons. In fact if he were a Steeler he would be used primarily at what he is best at, coming forward. He has to cover on the Bengals because Burfict is even worse at it.

But I guess you guys have forgotten how horrible Larry Foote is in coverage? Let Maualuga play to his strength on the Steelers and you can bank on him being better than Larry Foote.

And Rob, I am not implying that Maualuga is great. Hardly. I just feel with his age and the Steelers system he could be an upgrade over Foote. That's all.

Dee Dub
01-06-2013, 03:15 PM

How would you describe Larry Foote in coverage? I have news for you, he's horrible too. Now as far as run stuffing who is better? And how much better would Maualuga be if he played in LeBeau's system?

Larry Foote will be 33 next year. Chances are he will decline and not improve next year.

Dee Dub
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM

Again what was exposed about Maualuga that wasnt already known? Cover skills?

He had 10 tackles and his team held a pretty explosive offense to 1 TD and 19 total points.

What got exposed was the fact that the Bengals still dont have a viable QB. It isnt a revelation that Maualuga isnt great in coverage. But if he played next to Timmons he wouldnt do the bulk of it like he has to with the Bengals.

Dee Dub
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Just an fyi, there were many who though that James Farrior was a bust and knocked him when he signed with the Steelers. Then he got into a system that was conducive to his strength and he excelled. Remember Farrior was the 8th overall pick and the Jets had pretty much given up on him.

I am not saying that Maualuga is anywhere near as good as Farrior was at the same time but I do believe if Maulauga was in the Steelers system he would be better than he was with the Bengals. And he is coming off a 122 tackles season.