PDA

View Full Version : Whisenhunt Out in AZ

phillyesq
12-31-2012, 02:30 PM
There are rumors that Haley is a strong candidate for the AZ job. If he goes, I doubt that Whisenhunt returns - I would imagine that he will end up with another OC gig somewhere.

If this should be moved to the general NFL forum, sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Snatch98
12-31-2012, 02:43 PM
It's steeler relevant in my opinion. I also doubt Haley goes, he said the same thing himself and honestly I don't think he should go. We were decimated with injuries this season and prior to Ben's injury he was having a hell of a year. We just need to be able to commit to a running back and keep the o-line healthy and the rest will fall in place. Personally and I'm guessing I'm in the minority I hope they retain Mendenhall for more than just a one year deal and we move forward with him as the guy and the other two backing him up. Intangible wise he's far and away our best option and with getting a full compliment of carries week in and week out I'm fairly confident he'll display he's deserving of the job. Haley as the OC of the Steelers has to be one of his dream jobs, just as a coach for the team. I sincerely doubt he goes anywhere else unless it's something just too good to pass up.

NorthCoast
12-31-2012, 02:49 PM
It's steeler relevant in my opinion. I also doubt Haley goes, he said the same thing himself and honestly I don't think he should go. We were decimated with injuries this season and prior to Ben's injury he was having a hell of a year. We just need to be able to commit to a running back and keep the o-line healthy and the rest will fall in place. Personally and I'm guessing I'm in the minority I hope they retain Mendenhall for more than just a one year deal and we move forward with him as the guy and the other two backing him up. Intangible wise he's far and away our best option and with getting a full compliment of carries week in and week out I'm fairly confident he'll display he's deserving of the job. Haley as the OC of the Steelers has to be one of his dream jobs, just as a coach for the team. I sincerely doubt he goes anywhere else unless it's something just too good to pass up.

Does the "you don't lose your job due to injury" rule apply to coaches as well?

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Mendenhall may be our best option but that doesn't mean we should sign him. He isn't very good.

Snatch98
12-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Does the "you don't lose your job due to injury" rule apply to coaches as well?

I'm not sure if you're trying to be cute or not but you can't ignore the laundry list of crap that happened this season.

Snatch98
12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Mendenhall may be our best option but that doesn't mean we should sign him. He isn't very good.

I disagree. He's had some very solid seasons for the Steelers, then got hurt and this season wasn't really giving a chance after the collective fumble party against Cleveland the first time. I do think he's good and with a full season under his belt with competent offensive line play he'll prove it.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 03:30 PM
I disagree. He's had some very solid seasons for the Steelers, then got hurt and this season wasn't really giving a chance after the collective fumble party against Cleveland the first time. I do think he's good and with a full season under his belt with competent offensive line play he'll prove it.

Yes, and Willie Colon would be a good lineman if he didn't get hurt. Good thing we signed him to a 2nd contract.

birtikidis
12-31-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure if you're trying to be cute or not but you can't ignore the laundry list of crap that happened this season.
I think it was said tongue in cheek.

Snatch98
12-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Yes, and Willie Colon would be a good lineman if he didn't get hurt. Good thing we signed him to a 2nd contract.

Mendenhall has been productive for the Steelers behind really spotty offensive line play. He almost cracked 1000 last season if not for the injury but for the sake of argument say he doesn't get hurt. He then likely has 3 straight 1000 plus yard seasons and in 2010 had 13 td's. He's also the guy that carried us through the Ben suspension. I get that things are very much "what have you done for me lately" but LATELY he rushed for over 1000 yards twice and would have done it last season had he not been hurt. If our line can stay healthy he's got all the tools to be a top tier tailback in this league. I just hope the Steelers resign the guy and I think they will.

DukieBoy
12-31-2012, 04:37 PM
With a solid healthy OL and scheme that uses his strengths (including checking down to him in the open field in the passing game), Mendy could be highly productive beyond his better years here. He is still very young and not yet high-mileage, now with some years of pro experience. I think he would look great in the run schemes in Washington, for example. He may end up in a more favorable scheme elsewhere, and do well enough that some might wish he stayed.

Shoe
12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
It's steeler relevant in my opinion.

Of course it is, because there no longer is a SURE place for ex-Steelers looking for a landing place (i.e. Harrison, Hampton, Starks, Mendenhall...) when their Steeler career ends.

On the subject of Haley going there, I think it would be a big mistake for him. His 2nd HC job (assuming he wants one) is the one that will largely define him. He fails there... he likely won't see a 3rd shot. What he needs to do is dutifully work with a franchise QB like Rothlisberger, build back his reputation (it's not hard to quickly be deemed a "guru")--and then be able to choose your landing spot.

Oviedo
12-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Whisenhunt failed! Something the Rooney's knew 6 years ago.

Oviedo
12-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Of course it is, because there no longer is a SURE place for ex-Steelers looking for a landing place (i.e. Harrison, Hampton, Starks, Mendenhall...) when their Steeler career ends.

On the subject of Haley going there, I think it would be a big mistake for him. His 2nd HC job (assuming he wants one) is the one that will largely define him. He fails there... he likely won't see a 3rd shot. What he needs to do is dutifully work with a franchise QB like Rothlisberger, build back his reputation (it's not hard to quickly be deemed a "guru")--and then be able to choose your landing spot.

I agree about Haley. Too soon for him to get back into the HC saddle again. He needs to look for a better situation than AZ with zero QB options in a year with a bad QB draft.

Slapstick
12-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Mendenhall is probably the best RB as far as measurables. It's his intangible qualities that suck donkeys....

pittpete
12-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Does this man get a chance?
http://www.steelers.com/team/coaches/kirby-wilson/144a7382-e023-4c44-888c-14152aa04229

SteelBucks
01-01-2013, 12:45 AM
John Clayton said it wouldn't surprise him if Haley goes to Arizona as HC and Whiz ends up back in Pittsburgh as OC.

IMO, I'd bet Wisenhunt will be HC in San Diego.

thor75
01-01-2013, 02:20 AM
John Clayton said it wouldn't surprise him if Haley goes to Arizona as HC and Whiz ends up back in Pittsburgh as OC.

IMO, I'd bet Wisenhunt will be HC in San Diego.

I usually like John Clayton, but this is espn vomit imo. Andy Reid and Bill Cowher to me, would seem the favorites for San Diego. the Chin always had a man crush on Rivers.

We will see Haley as OC again for Pittsburgh, I'm glad too, I think he will only improve. One request though: fire up the intensity, seemed like he was walking on eggshells this year.