PDA

View Full Version : Just me or do other steeler fans Hate New England?

blitzburg2013
12-31-2012, 01:57 PM
There may be a number of reason a Steeler fan may hate the New England Patriots and I am a member of that club. Why im talking about this is purely just because the playoffs are coming up and as usual they are within the top 2 teams in the AFC and i just cant stand watching them go to the Super Bowl again. I dont know if its the two AFC championship kicks in the mouth that they gave us when we were the number 1 seed, the "dynasty" they had which i ofcourse put in quotes since because of the actions of the spygate scandal. I dont know if its the smugness of belichick or just tom brady being tom brady but for me I just cannot stand this team. I know there's not the rival and hatred of the division rivals but does anyone else feel the same way about them as i do. They just put the worst taste in my mouth after those 2 AFC title games and the spygate scandal. My fondest memory was Ryan Clark decleeting Wes Welker but that still doesnt make up for the others. I really hope they dont go back to the title again cuz itll make me sick.

Sugar
12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
The Pats are a good team with a good organization. Tom Brady is probably one of the top 5 QB's in NFL history (it doesn't hurt in my eyes that he's a Michigan guy). It's hard because they were the top team in a number of years that we were #2 (probably better than the NFC rival in the SB).

They are a rival because of how good their teams have been over the years. That said, I don't look at them in the same way as the Ravens or Browns. If the Ravens played the Pats, I root for the Pats every time. :ratsuck

kindlecatsb'ng
12-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Even Ed Bruchette said today he is sick of them too and their coach and would rather see the AFC North Ravens or Cinci win it out.

Sugar
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Even Ed Bruchette said today he is sick of them too and their coach and would rather see the AFC North Ravens or Cinci win it out.
Funny, because those are the two teams I'm actually rooting against.
:ratsuck:bungalssuck

MCHammer
12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Bouchette is worthless. Everytime I hear him on the radio as the "Steelers insider" he knows nothing and stammers an "I don't know" or just asks a useless question in response to the question he was asked. Other than that, like most every other sports media figure in town, he is a propagandist for the organization and so anytime a serious question is asked that questions coaching or management, you have to listen to him like he were Baghdad Bob to discern the truth is probably the opposite of whatever he says. Ok, maybe that is a little harsh - but only a little!

I'm with you in hating the Pats more. I would much rather watch Baltimore win a SB than watch the Pats even win an AFC Championship. That is just me though. There is no denying the Patriots have shown themselves to be a better coached, prepared and led team than the Steelers during the last decade and that is hard to take, but I think obviously true.

supersteeler
12-31-2012, 02:38 PM
I have a different take on the Pats. I don't hate them but I'll root for the opposing team every time.
They have established a good record in the past decade and were usually one of the best teams in the AFC for that time period.
We seen them withnew coaches outside of Belichick and they still have success. They add players to their roster that seem to adjust to their system and have success outside of Chad Johnson who never became relevant there.

What I noticed is they are a very savvy organization in terms of the draft, up to this point they usually had extra picks in the draft and more than not picked higher even though their record was good. Like Manning, the constant is Tom Brady, we may not like him but he wins a lot of games for that team and is the main reason for their success.

Yeah, whoever they play I'll root for the other team, but I do admire the success they had over the years.

D Rock
12-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Let me put on my flame-retardant suit here....

...alright there we go. I'm ready to say it...

I've gone from hating Tom Brady to respecting him. I still don't ever want to see him win, but I can't hate the guy for being incredibly good at what he does any more. I wish he had been a Steeler.

The Man of Steel
12-31-2012, 04:07 PM
I hate the Pats of today but when I was a kid I used to think that the Pats helmet logo was pretty darn cool.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f89/davespayce/Social%20Networking/oldpatriots.jpg

RussBII
12-31-2012, 04:13 PM

I've gone from hating Tom Brady to respecting him. I still don't ever want to see him win, but I can't hate the guy for being incredibly good at what he does any more. I wish he had been a Steeler.

I gotta agree with this on some level. I used to hate the Pats with a burning white hot fury. I just can't anymore, they're just too good. You have to respect them on some level.

The only way I would ever root for the Bengals or the Ravens over them is if they had 5 rings and were on their way to the SB. And even then, I'd still rather the Ravens not win... and hope for a SB loss.

MCHammer
12-31-2012, 04:14 PM

I have a buddy in Boston who always ragged on Sid Crosby until we came to the conclusion that its a similar dynamic with Steeler hate towards Brady. It's hard to like Mr. Perfect when he is playing on the other team making millions while beating your team.

As much as I enjoy watching the Brady struggle when teams get pressure on him, my real antipathy for the Pats is towards Belichick for his general priggishness and mean-spiritedness (although damn what a good coach). I also always despised Bruschi, one of the games genuine cheap shot artists IMO.

DukieBoy
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM

Well-said, and I'd have to join you in respect for Brady, and I'd add Welker as well as their preparation and their offensive schemes. Can't let their head coach and organization off the hook for cheatriotgate. Would add that Tip Roast who posts here is a top-shelf fan and ambassador for the Pats, makes it less easy to hate on them.

I'd rather see them win over anybody named Ryan or Harbaugh.

Starlifter
12-31-2012, 04:21 PM
you can't deny brady's one of the best ever. he's the complete package from physical skills, work ethic and desire to win. the difference between the precision passing/timing game he plays vs. the streetball ben plays is night and day. don't get me wrong, ben is a terrific qb and a franchise qb - but brady makes everyone around him better, whereas ben often needs to cover for the rest of the offense.

bellichick is a major league douchebag. kraft is an arrogant jaggov but the two things I respect about them is the stadium/facility they built for the fans and the willingness to lay a 60 burger on the opposition. they never quit, and they never play down to the opposition. would love to see some of that around here.

but i hate them nonetheless.

JB13
12-31-2012, 05:15 PM
I live in New England and can't stand the Patriots. They're on every week, so I watch most of their games. Belichick is contemptible, but he's a great coach. The Pats always seem very well-prepared and well-coached. They commit few penalties and always seem to be on the receiving end of turnovers. They make other teams nervous because you don't know what they're going to throw at you. I know the Steelers beat them last year, but I think the Pats would win 8 out of 10 times. Belichick is a great in-game coach and makes tremendous adjustments, something Tomlin sorely lacks. You think the Steelers would have made a game of it against the 49ers the way the Patriots did, after they were down a ton in the first half? No way. The Patriots don't quit and keep coming at you. I wish the Steelers had just a small part of that type of makeup.

Djfan
12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
The three reasons I hate them is because of the favoritism that Marsha get from the refs and the media, the sliminess / smugness / disrespectfulness of bellycheat, and the cheating, with its non-investigation or consequence worth a darn.

Brady is great. Bellycheat is great. I agree. Still I hope for painful losses and such for these two because of who they are. When these two are gone I hope the best for them.

SidSmythe
12-31-2012, 05:54 PM
I can stomach the RatBirds or the Bungles winning it all.
I'm pulling for DENVER vs. ATLANTA

Anyone but the Pats and the Niners

pittpete
12-31-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.troll.me/images/dos-equis-man/i-dont-always-hate-but-when-i-do-i-prefer-to-hate-the-new-england-patriots.jpg

jj28west
01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
I also hate the Pats with a passion but Brady is the best I have ever seen (which includes Montana). Dont know if anyone caught this yesturday but the Pats were up 21-0 late in the game which I think was meaningless.

Anyways, Brady overthrew a WR and he immediately starts flipping out. I dont know if it was that the WR's pattern was off or if Brady was off but it shows what a costant perfectionist he is and how he is never satisfied even after being a SB champ.

Tiproast is a longtime Pats fan who used to post here who also is very level headed. Being in Pats country I find this to be more the exception than the rule.

What is also weird is that I hated the Cowboys in the late 70's, all of the 80's and 90's but then it all went away.

As far as the Ravens.... I hate them but I really wish some of the Players there were Steelers.

Ghost
01-01-2013, 09:49 PM
You can dislike (even hate) something and still have respect. Brady is one of the all time greats. No doubt about it - unanimous, 1st ballet HOFer. Belichek is headed to the hall of fame as well. That team does an exceptional job in prparation and plugging in "no-names" and getting great results. I respect that. Still can't stand them and hope they don't win it all.

But I truely despise the Ravens and Bengals, deep down. I don't even want them winning pre-season games. Screw that d!ck Harbaugh (and his brother out in San Fran as well). I NEVER want to see either win it all. And I don't watn any team in our division to ever win as well. I feel no sorrow for 10 plus losing seasons in Cle. Keep them coming.

I have to admit I'll hardly watch the playoffs. If I'm home and they are on; I'll watch as background but not going out of my way to follow any of it.

Sword
01-02-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm a Steeler fan first but my second team is New England...I'm from Boston......"hate" word is to harsh....I would want
people to respect my teams players not hate them unless they did something to warrant that...

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
hate em... but respect em.

flippy
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
I hate everyone and everything. :)

But I enjoy watching the Pats play. I like the fact that they always seem to try to do things a little differently. Even little things like putting their #1 corner on Hines and then doubling Plax with 2 other guys and pretty much shutting down our passing attack. To stockpiling draft picks which I wish desperately we'd do. To being the first 2 get 2 #1 TEs on the Offense, although, I just think they looked at what we were doing with Hines and Heath - the original great 2 TE set. To their current offense tempo which is pretty incredible. If they have a play that works, just hurry up and repeat.

The Pats are one of the few teams I see doing a lot of stuff that I'd like the Steelers to copy. And interestingly, I think Billy B learned a lot from playing Cowher and the Steelers during his putrid time in Cleveland. I think he's taken a lot from the Steelers and extended it.

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I hate everyone and everything. :)

But I enjoy watching the Pats play. I like the fact that they always seem to try to do things a little differently. Even little things like putting their #1 corner on Hines and then doubling Plax with 2 other guys and pretty much shutting down our passing attack. To stockpiling draft picks which I wish desperately we'd do. To being the first 2 get 2 #1 TEs on the Offense, although, I just think they looked at what we were doing with Hines and Heath - the original great 2 TE set. To their current offense tempo which is pretty incredible. If they have a play that works, just hurry up and repeat.

The Pats are one of the few teams I see doing a lot of stuff that I'd like the Steelers to copy. And interestingly, I think Billy B learned a lot from playing Cowher and the Steelers during his putrid time in Cleveland. I think he's taken a lot from the Steelers and extended it.

I don't think Billicheet took anything from Cowher... Billicheet has a win at all cost attitude. That means cutting high paid star athletes, using TE's at RB, switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 depending on who they are playing, spending all their money on the O side of the ball and putting up 50 to protect the team from the D, so on and so forth...

BradshawsHairdresser
01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I root for them to get beat because of the cheating, and the whole hush-hush Ernie Adams aspect (what does the guy really do, anyway?). I think that without the cheating, Bellichik would be considered a notch below Marv Levy.

That said, I generally like the way their offense plays...they're fun to watch.

ikestops85
01-02-2013, 01:49 PM
I have the ultimate hate for the Patriots but the utmost respect. I was a fan of the Ravens when they played the Pats in the AFC Championship game last year. That's about the only time I will root for the Ravens.

I think Brady is the best QB in football by far and Belichick is the most arrogant coach. Even though I love Ben and Tomlin I would take those 2 over our 2 any day of the year ... and I hate saying that.

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I love watching Billicheet coach up the D with his back to the field... it shows how much confidence he has in his offense.

lloydroid
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Most Steeler fans seem to hate the Pats, although I am not one of them. I respect and admire excellence, which is why I Don't hate the pats. Most especially hate Brady and Belichick; I actually admire them. Brady is the absolute definition of excellence. And, on top of being one of the greatest QBs to ever play in the NFL, he has one of the hottest chicks on the planet as his wife. How can one guy have EVERYTHING? I don't know, but he does. But why do Steeler fans hate them? Mostly from jealousy. While Brady is the rock star, intelligent, James Bond QB who only gets the hottest chicks and isn't prone to making huge gaffs, Bonehead Ben is the knucklehead frat guy, who plays like he is in a flag football game with a keg on the sidelines who just "throws the ball up there" who, at the party after, tries to hit on some homely chicks for sex acts in the public bathroom.

And not to be outdone, they have Belichick, who is as crafty as the slickest spy on the planet, and we have Tinkerbell Tomlin, who is as lost as a possum in the middle of the road, as a car approaches, on game day. While Bill is the ultimate in making shrewd and wise decisions, Tomlin gets lost on game day making one bad decision after another, ultimately costing us games which led to us not making the play offs.

The Pats are like the newest F-22 fighter jet technology, while Pgh is more like the redneck pontoon boat made out of a trailer home on inner tubes, firing bottle rockets off the back. That is why so many Steeler fans hate them. That, and Brady has kicked our teeth in enough times.

I not only do not hate them, but I literally laugh out loud watching and listening to Belichick make comments. It's hilarious. His deadpan delivery is priceless. I might even be rooting for them to win the AFC. They have sustained such excellence for so long, it's hard to not want them to go all the way. But make no mistake: I admire and am entertained by them, but they are NOT my team. The Steelers are, even with all of their "pontoon-boat-made-out-of-a-trailer home-on-inner-tubes" ways. Their coach is brilliant, ours is not. Their QB is James Bond cool, our is more like Billy Madison. But, it is what it is.

blitzburg2013
01-02-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm a Steeler fan first but my second team is New England...I'm from Boston......"hate" word is to harsh....I would want
people to respect my teams players not hate them unless they did something to warrant that...

When your team is caught in a cheating scandal to gain an advantage and then punished for it, then the word "hate" never seems too harsh.

feltdizz
01-02-2013, 02:38 PM
who is as lost as a possum in the middle of the road, as a car approaches, on game day.

I know I shouldn't feed 'em but this made me laugh

BATMAN
01-02-2013, 06:18 PM
A classless coach, an owner that embraces this guy along with all their cheating, (8 or 9 years of cheating ) the refs fear them, Goodell kisses their butts. Hate doesn't even describe it for me. It turns my stomach that they wear the colors of our flag on their uniforms.
With all this being said, it's proof that Goodell isn't for honesty or integrity of the league. He's all about money and nothing more. He doesn't care that players are getting injured. He just doesn't want the league and owners have to cough up money in court or what have you.

The Patriots are the worse thing that has happen to the NFL and their wins are a lie, deception anything but real or earned.

supersteeler
01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Here's the difference between the Steelers and Patriots:

There's a minute left in the game, the Steelers are leading their opponent by two TD's and have the ball, Ben takes a knee and runs out the clock.

Same senario with the Pats, but Brady calls a timeout and goes for another TD.

Fans may get irritated how the Pats do things and think they are disrespecting their opponents doing the above, but their coach looks at it differently. He wants to see his offense work under all conditions even if it means adding to the score when the games is already won, its up to the opposing team to stop it from happening.

These two teams had a terrific span of wins and SB's the past decade, but they are completely different.
The Steelers will beat you up physically until you cave in, where the Pats beat you up in the end zone.

If you guys wern't a Steelers fan you would hate us too, because of the success we had, same with the Pats, people hate their success.
For me I could care less about the Pats, I'm conserned about our Steelers and want #7 before Ben retires!

Chucktownsteeler
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Here's the difference between the Steelers and Patriots:

There's a minute left in the game, the Steelers are leading their opponent by two TD's and have the ball, Ben takes a knee and runs out the clock.

Same senario with the Pats, but Brady calls a timeout and goes for another TD.

Fans may get irritated how the Pats do things and think they are disrespecting their opponents doing the above, but their coach looks at it differently. He wants to see his offense work under all conditions even if it means adding to the score when the games is already won, its up to the opposing team to stop it from happening.

These two teams had a terrific span of wins and SB's the past decade, but they are completely different.
The Steelers will beat you up physically until you cave in, where the Pats beat you up in the end zone.

If you guys wern't a Steelers fan you would hate us too, because of the success we had, same with the Pats, people hate their success.
For me I could care less about the Pats, I'm conserned about our Steelers and want #7 before Ben retires!
Are the Pats that god or do they benefit from playing in a weak division?

steelfin
01-02-2013, 07:16 PM
I used to hate the Pats....but as the years go by you have to respect them...

-They are competitive every year
-Brady is one of the greatest QBs to play the game
-They play to win instead of playing not to lose
-They attack on offense
-They are arguably the most successful franchise in the last decade

But I am not a turncoat....

williar
01-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I admire and respect the patriots and I root for them because they play football the way I like to see it! Just get out there and kick-ass, we don't care who you are! Tom Brady is a true "elite" QB in every definition of the word. Just toss him the ball and he'll go out gun down his opponent all by himself, if necessary, no questions asked. The Steelers and Pats are both successful franchises however to me these franchises are the antithesis of each other. Patriots are constantly evolving, expect the consistent best out of their players and do not suffer malcontent, underachieving fools....

fezziwig
01-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I hate the Cheats and their coach. I hate cheaters, liars and people that had cheated others out of their goals, works, dreams and money and jobs. They not only just cheated, they changed the balance in peoples lives. Coaches or players have probably lost their jobs over the Pats cheating. How else is a coach, team or player defined if not by the wins and losses. They've mananged to take everyones hard work and toss it down the tubes with their cheating. Training camp meant nothing, games, injuries, owners paying for a team was all taken away because some piece of shiit like Bellicheat decided working hard wasn't enough, cheating was required.
He's a smart coach, a team with talent but, he needed to cheat to achieve his goals.
Screw him and his non proffesional attitude, his childlike behavior when he losses and al that he has blackened in the name of sports.
I too get upset that these crumbs have the colors of the flag as their teams colors.
fu(k them and those that think they're so wonderful.

steelfin
01-02-2013, 10:01 PM
I hate the Cheats and their coach. I hate cheaters, liars and people that had cheated others out of their goals, works, dreams and money and jobs. They not only just cheated, they changed the balance in peoples lives. Coaches or players have probably lost their jobs over the Pats cheating. How else is a coach, team or player defined if not by the wins and losses. They've mananged to take everyones hard work and toss it down the tubes with their cheating. Training camp meant nothing, games, injuries, owners paying for a team was all taken away because some piece of shiit like Bellicheat decided working hard wasn't enough, cheating was required.
He's a smart coach, a team with talent but, he needed to cheat to achieve his goals.
Screw him and his non proffesional attitude, his childlike behavior when he losses and al that he has blackened in the name of sports.
I too get upset that these crumbs have the colors of the flag as their teams colors.
fu(k them and those that think they're so wonderful.

Tell us how you really feel....:Beer

fezziwig
01-02-2013, 10:09 PM
I hate Ray Lewis too. And for you information, I wouldn't like the bastard if he was a Steeler either. Oh yeah, screw the Patricheats. I will always let it be known, they earned nothing, they cheated to gain their championships and this is a fact.

tiproast
01-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Tiproast is a longtime Pats fan who used to post here who also is very level headed. Being in Pats country I find this to be more the exception than the rule.
I still post here, but haven't done so very much since you guys got knocked out of the playoffs. Flashing the Pat Patriot logo on a lot of posts would be rubbing it in a little, and I don't want to be a rude guest.

I'll post more after the playoffs are over and the draft talk starts up in earnest. There are many good posters here that really know college ball; I learn a lot about who's coming into the league by reading this board.