PDA

View Full Version : The Revenge of Bruce Arians

Sugar
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Last year, BA was unceremoniously dropped by the Steelers after being told that his job was secure. What a difference a year makes. This morning, the sports shows were talking about how Arians would be a prime candidate for a head coaching job after the fantastic work he did in Indy.

If anyone had told most of us that Arians would be more successful with the Colts and a bunch of rookies than Haley was with the veteran Steelers O, we would have thought they were crazy.

At the end of the day, winning is the best revenge even if BA never wanted revenge in the first place.

Notleadpoisoned
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Apparently some people think that he should win NFL coach-of-the-year.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/27/3807710/coach-of-the-year-bruce-arians

Slapstick
12-31-2012, 01:39 PM
I think he deserves it as well....

phillyesq
12-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Good for Arians. I disliked his offense but had no problems with him. He did an incredible job with a very difficult situation.

Some guys are better coordinators than head coaches; he may be a better HC than coordinator.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Wonder if Cleveland would consider him since they have a young team/ offense.

phillyesq
12-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Wonder if Cleveland would consider him since they have a young team/ offense.

Wouldn't that be interesting? He has ties in Cleveland and was in Pittsburgh when Haslam was the owner.

A bit off topic, but I think Shurmur got a raw deal. He didn't have a whole lot to work with and turned the Browns into a respectable NFL team, which they haven't been for a while.

kindlecatsb'ng
12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Shurmur did. I listen sometimes to the Cleveland "The Fan" radio station. Shurmur and Heckert were promised under Lerner they had 5 years to turn the team around. There was the lockout in his 1st year and he was never permitted to hire any of his own staff.

It's the buzz today here in NE OH and the wait is on for "the next coach". Lots of names being mentioned now.

Kindle

Sugar
12-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Shurmur did. I listen sometimes to the Cleveland "The Fan" radio station. Shurmur and Heckert were promised under Lerner they had 5 years to turn the team around. There was the lockout in his 1st year and he was never permitted to hire any of his own staff.

It's the buzz today here in NE OH and the wait is on for "the next coach". Lots of names being mentioned now.

Kindle
Perhaps Haslem just wants to get a new start with his own people. It sucks for Shurmur, but Haslem is probably trying to establish a new culture there and it's hard to do with the old chief still there.

kindlecatsb'ng
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Yep. that is the consensus here.

Many felt Haslem said all the politically correct speak when he bought the team; however, by November The 'Walrus' was gone so the others saw it coming.

NorthCoast
12-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Arians returning to Cleveland as HC would be quite interesting. He failed miserably as their OC but maybe can make it work as an HC.
While Indy was respectable this year, I personally think it was a partial mirage due to their very weak schedule. Yes, they thumped HOU but I am not convinced HOU pulled out the stops for that game.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Watch Haslam pay Cowher a boatload to become GM and Arians as HC with Gailey as OC then poach Butler for DC.

kindlecatsb'ng
12-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Andrew Luck was surrounded by a number of veterans which helped him a lot.

Reminded me of Ben when he was drafted and came to the 'Burgh.

feltdizz
12-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Arians returning to Cleveland as HC would be quite interesting. He failed miserably as their OC but maybe can make it work as an HC.
While Indy was respectable this year, I personally think it was a partial mirage due to t heir very weak schedule. Yes, they thumped HOU but I am not convinced HOU pulled out the stops for that game.

Houston had a bye if they won. They looked really pissed after the loss... why wouldnt they pull out all the stops?

feltdizz
12-31-2012, 03:02 PM
I had a feeling Arians would shine this year while we struggled. I defended BA a ton because most fans blamed him for crazy things that were beyond his control. If injuries are an excuse this year then what about every other year with BA? Our OL was always injured, Ben was always dinged up and we still had better chemistry and more wins.

You can say its emotion and Luck but Arians made do with what he had and they players responded to adversity. The exact opposite of what we witnessed in Pittsburgh this year. Love him or hate him I think he was the one guy who kept Ben hungry to win games. It loks like Ben has replaced his chip on the shoulder for other teams with one against our coaching staff. Teqms go the way the QB goes ajd right now it looks like Ben wanted to go home.

NorthCoast
12-31-2012, 03:15 PM
I had a feeling Arians would shine this year while we struggled. I defended BA a ton because most fans blamed him for crazy things that were beyond his control. If injuries are an excuse this year then what about every other year with BA? Our OL was always injured, Ben was always dinged up and we still had better chemistry and more wins.

You can say its emotion and Luck but Arians made do with what he had and they players responded to adversity. The exact opposite of what we witnessed in Pittsburgh this year. Love him or hate him I think he was the one guy who kept Ben hungry to win games. It loks like Ben has replaced his chip on the shoulder for other teams with one against our coaching staff. Teqms go the way the QB goes ajd right now it looks like Ben wanted to go home.

The Steelers have a disgruntled employee who just happens to be their franchise QB. What should the organization do about it now? Give him what he wants (not sure he even knows what that is) or tell him to shut up and man up?

I think they desperately need to fix the OL and get Ben a running game for support. The lack of a bona-fide running game after he came back from injury was the undoing of this season. No one else to shoulder the load, it was all on Ben. That's gotta weigh heavy on someone who isn't 100% physically or mentally.

feltdizz
12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
I think the FO already told Ben to man up and shut up... it worked for half the season and then the old Ben came back and reared its ugoy head. Maybe it was seeing BA and Luck get praise... maybe it was all the MVP talk in Haleys new O that rubbed him the wrong way, maybe the injury brought the old Ben out and he thought he needed to do it all?

Not sure... we were in most games and it came down to a play or 2 but if you look closer you saw missed check downs missed oped WR's, sacks that knocked us out of FG range and young funny crew making stupid mistakes.

I dont care if Ben had a ton of pressure or a ton on his plate.... he is our franchise QB and he gets paid a ton. The runnijg game sucked.. but it sucked other years and we made do... IMO I think Ben stunk it up and thats OK, it happens.. Ben isnt a Brady type QB and with him its usually good or uuuuuugly. The one thing I cant forgive him for are these sacks that knock us out ofbaFG range. Rokie QB's arent making this mistake but Ben still does. I think its time for Ben to respect his age and the age of his defenders. Those mircle throws while being draped by defenders are rare. Getting hit by 4 guys isnt cool and the ratio of Jacksonville miracle pass to fumble, sack, red zone sack isnt close at all.

RussBII
12-31-2012, 04:09 PM
I think the FO already told Ben to man up and shut up... it worked for half the season and then the old Ben came back and reared its ugoy head. Maybe it was seeing BA and Luck get praise... maybe it was all the MVP talk in Haleys new O that rubbed him the wrong way, maybe the injury brought the old Ben out and he thought he needed to do it all?

Not sure... we were in most games and it came down to a play or 2 but if you look closer you saw missed check downs missed oped WR's, sacks that knocked us out of FG range and young funny crew making stupid mistakes.

I dont care if Ben had a ton of pressure or a ton on his plate.... he is our franchise QB and he gets paid a ton. The runnijg game sucked.. but it sucked other years and we made do... IMO I think Ben stunk it up and thats OK, it happens.. Ben isnt a Brady type QB and with him its usually good or uuuuuugly. The one thing I cant forgive him for are these sacks that knock us out ofbaFG range. Rokie QB's arent making this mistake but Ben still does. I think its time for Ben to respect his age and the age of his defenders. Those mircle throws while being draped by defenders are rare. Getting hit by 4 guys isnt cool and the ratio of Jacksonville miracle pass to fumble, sack, red zone sack isnt close at all.

I really believe he was rushed back because of our awful backup situation. He was never really right again.

supersteeler
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
No question Bruce did a great job in Indy, they won what.... 2 games last year.

As for Ben or any QB, you need a supporting cast to do their job especially in critical moments of a game. The offense is only as good as it's other parts, when one part fails so does the offense as a whole.
The O-line had their bad moments but also times when the blocking was there but the receivers didn't get open, thus Ben Holding the ball too long. When the receivers were open the line broke down and when you combine that with a bad run game it makes matters worse for an offense.
We lost 5 games by 3 points, we were in most games but one or two plays cost us a win, again mistakes, penalties that killed drives could of been the difference in losing those games.

If one word could describe the 2012 Steelers it would be inconsistent. It seemed like it was pulling teeth for this offense to score points, and waiting for that one mistake to occur that made the difference in the games.
Everyone is accountable for the lackluster year, players, coaches alike. They have a responsibility to right the ship as we look forward to the 2013 season.

feltdizz
12-31-2012, 09:08 PM
I hear you but doesnt it seem like every year we struggle to score points? Lets be honest... Ben is the culprit when it comes to a lack of consistency. Glad he is our QB but the red zone issues are all him.

fezziwig
01-01-2013, 11:16 AM
BA was and is a bum. The Colts had one lousy season prior to BA's arrival but before that, they were always in the playoffs, in the Super Bowl twice, winning one Super Bowl. The talent was there. Plug in a great rookie QB that played pro style football in college and what do you think ? Of course they would have success.
If BA wants to impress , allow him a QB that is just okay and then see what that gets him.
If BA does take a head coaching job, you might as well say goodbye to Kevein Butler from the Steelers.

Oviedo
01-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Watch Haslam pay Cowher a boatload to become GM and Arians as HC with Gailey as OC then poach Butler for DC.

If Cowher comes back I think it will be in order Chicago or Philly. Chicago has a QB and the owner in Philly will pay the former Eagle player a ton of money. The Eagles also have tons of talent.

kindlecatsb'ng
01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
How much $ does a TV analyst (like Cowher, Boomer, ETC) make per year?

Maybe Bill Cowher only uses $ as a reason not to come back to the trenches of NFL coaching because he knows his price is so high no one will want to pay it.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-01-2013, 12:03 PM
If Cowher comes back I think it will be in order Chicago or Philly. Chicago has a QB and the owner in Philly will pay the former Eagle player a ton of money. The Eagles also have tons of talent.

Cleveland could be more attractive due to what you state. He could take over teams with players and ego's or start fresh in Cleveland.

fezziwig
01-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Bill has enough money, has a cushy gig going on, has all the time in the world to himself. Why would he want the headaches of being a head coach after he has already climbed the mountain ?

I have a question for you guys, if Arians gets offered a head coaching job, do you think he'll take Kevin Butler or any of our assistant coaches from the Steelers ?

thor75
01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Bill has enough money, has a cushy gig going on, has all the time in the world to himself. Why would he want the headaches of being a head coach after he has already climbed the mountain ?

I have a question for you guys, if Arians gets offered a head coaching job, do you think he'll take Kevin Butler or any of our assistant coaches from the Steelers ?

Butler would definitely get a call imo. LeBeau shows no sign of leaving and Butler has to be itching to give it a try. Kirby Wilson may be an OC candidate for BA too.

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Bruce Arians downplays return to Pittsburgh

Posted by Josh Alper on October 15, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians spent five years as the offensive coordinator of the Steelers before parting ways with the team after the 2011 season in a move that the Steelers framed as Arians’s retirement.

It wasn’t a retirement, obviously. Arians went to the Colts for a year as offensive coordinator, became the interim head coach when Chuck Pagano was battling cancer and parleyed that into his current job. Arians has gone 25-11 with the Cardinals, proving that he had plenty left in the tank after being let go in Pittsburgh.

Arians will lead the Cardinals into Heinz Field on Sunday for his first regular season game against the Steelers since being dispatched, but says it is “just another game” rather than a chance to score a win with extra personal satisfaction.

“He’s so focused on this team and this year and not years past,” Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer said, via the Arizona Republic. “Obviously, going back to a place where you worked before, there is a little extra on it. But his focus is so on this team, getting to 5-1, where we’re at in our division, where we need to improve and things that need to be fixed and coached. I don’t think he has time to dwell on the past and all the great things he did in Pittsburgh.”

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown isn’t so sure that it’s just business as usual for Arians “seeing how many people counted him out and wanted him out of here.” It wouldn’t be surprising if that’s the case, although there’s no lack of other motivation for the Cardinals to pick up another win this Sunday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/15/bruce-arians-downplays-return-to-pittsburgh/