PDA

View Full Version : The few who do deserve kudos

lloydroid
12-30-2012, 05:27 PM
#1. Timmons. He had a breakout season. He was everything they hoped when they drafted him. He didn't let himself get all fat and out of shape, ala Woodley. He played well all season.

#2. Lewis. Finally a young DB developed.

#3. Allen, see above.

#4. Heath.

#5. Clark. Biggest reason the D held it together with all the injuries as it did.

Those who didn't cut it this year.

Ben, Wallace, most of O line, Polamalu, Tomlin, Haley.

Chucktownsteeler
12-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Also, Max Starks. Unsung hero, IMHO.

Didn't we bring him back from the waiver wire?

pittpete
12-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Did u see Max play today?

Snatch98
12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
#1. Timmons. He had a breakout season. He was everything they hoped when they drafted him. He didn't let himself get all fat and out of shape, ala Woodley. He played well all season.

#3. Allen, see above.

#4. Heath.

#5. Clark. Biggest reason the D held it together with all the injuries as it did.

Polamalu is just getting healthy. I still think Ben is injured and prior to the injury was having a great year. I have no problem with Tomlin considering all the injuries.

#1. You with all your psycho babble

isonator07
12-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Polamalu is just getting healthy. I still think Ben is injured and prior to the injury was having a great year. I have no problem with Tomlin considering all the injuries.

Ahahahahahahahaha. Rotfl

JAR
12-30-2012, 06:08 PM

:) :) :)!!!!

NorthCoast
12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Did u see Max play today?

agreed. Max had a tough outing against no names.... beat soundly for at least one sack.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Plax had a couple nice grabs today..

Dee Dub
12-30-2012, 07:10 PM
....Those who didn't cut it this year.

Wow...a QB who threw for over 3200 yards (while having missed 3 games to injury), 26 TD's thrown to only 8 INT's, and a passer rating at 97.0 all the while having to adapt to a new system and he is considered as one who didn't cut it this year?

Unbelievable!! That's all I can say.

flippy
12-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Wow...a QB who threw for over 3200 yards (while having missed 3 games to injury), 26 TD's thrown to only 8 INT's, and a passer rating at 97.0 all the while having to adapt to a new system and he is considered as one who didn't cut it this year?

I do think it's fair to pin the W/L record on Ben just because he's the QB. We lost 5 games by 3 points. If he gets us 3+ points in one of those games, we're playing next week. Not all his fault, but it probably means he had to make 1 more play. Or 1 less mistake.

His stats were fine. Unfortunately his mistakes often came at the worst possible times. And he seemed to lose a bit of that clutch gene of his. Hopefully an offseason with Haley will help those 2 get on the same page and get this ironed out going forward.

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of blame to go around. But everyone of those losses, Ben also took the blame himself.

NorthCoast
12-30-2012, 07:31 PM
I do think it's fair to pin the W/L record on Ben just because he's the QB. We lost 5 games by 3 points. If he gets us 3+ points in one of those games, we're playing next week. Not all his fault, but it probably means he had to make 1 more play. Or 1 less mistake.

His stats were fine. Unfortunately his mistakes often came at the worst possible times. And he seemed to lose a bit of that clutch gene of his. Hopefully an offseason with Haley will help those 2 get on the same page and get this ironed out going forward.

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of blame to go around. But everyone of those losses, Ben also took the blame himself.

Yes. I distinctly recall a quote from Roethlisberger after the 2009 season and passing for over 4000 yds that there was nothing wrong with the offense. Yet they went 9-7 that season and were average in scoring offense. This season really did come down to a few plays (and maybe even a few missed field goals!). Otherwise they are playing next week for another title.

Oh well. Time to talk about next season.

Oviedo
12-30-2012, 08:59 PM

#3. Allen, see above.

#4. Heath.

Timmons was best player all season long

JB13
12-30-2012, 10:23 PM
I am excited about Timmons' performance this year and am hoping to see a similar leap from Worilds. Played well overall this year and am looking for more out of him next year.

skyhawk
12-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Timmons, Clark, and Heath should all be in the Pro bowl. the fact that the Chiefs have 5 pro bowlers is a farce.

SidSmythe
12-30-2012, 11:12 PM
BEN was a pretty good QB this year....just not CLUTCH!!

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Yes. I distinctly recall a quote from Roethlisberger after the 2009 season and passing for over 4000 yds that there was nothing wrong with the offense. Yet they went 9-7 that season and were average in scoring offense. This season really did come down to a few plays (and maybe even a few missed field goals!). Otherwise they are playing next week for another title.

Oh well. Time to talk about next season.

Dont you think that maybe it also may have had something to do with the fact the team lost 2 out 3 games when Ben was injured? Win won of those and they are in the playoffs.

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 01:09 AM
BEN was a pretty good QB this year....just not CLUTCH!! He got hurt. It was his throwing shoulder. Might have had something to do with that. Before the injury he was on pace to have the greatest season statistically a Steeler QB ever had.

But I guess all that gets lost with certain fans. Gotta have a fall guy.

NorthCoast
12-31-2012, 09:57 AM

Not really. He was pretty much a no-show against OAK, TEN, and NYG, to name a few. (of course, there is always the argument about how he was used....)

Slapstick
12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Not really. He was pretty much a no-show against OAK, TEN, and NYG, to name a few. (of course, there is always the argument about how he was used....)

Just because you think he was a no show doesn't mean he wasn't the best player all season long....

NorthCoast
12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Just because you think he was a no show doesn't mean he wasn't the best player all season long....

Ryan Clark gets my vote on D. Showed up every game (that he could play in).

ikestops85
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Clark has to get my vote also. He seems to be like a fine wine ... he gets better with time. I just wish he would look for the ball every now and again.

NorthCoast
12-31-2012, 04:12 PM
I thought things got very chippy after Phil Taylor blindsided Beachum and knocked him out of the game. Pouncey especially got into it with the defense a couple of times. It was the first time in many weeks that I saw actual emotion by the Steelers offense. I was actually worried they were going to penalize the Steelers at a critical point. Anyway, I expect Taylor should be receiving a letter from Goodell this week.

RussBII
12-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Drew Butler. It was nice to not have the Sepulveda drama and not have Kapinos sucking up the joint.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Drew Butler. It was nice to not have the Sepulveda drama and not have Kapinos sucking up the joint.

I hope this is sarcasm.

butler was pathetic this year, particularly the second half of the season.

Shoe
12-31-2012, 07:13 PM
1) Has to be Clark.

I have no problem with Miller getting voted Team MVP, but Ryan Clark's contribution/commitment was amazing if you paid attention. The guy played hurt ALL THE TIME, yet he never asked out, never took anything for granted, made plays, and (despite the pain) never let up. The guy is every bit what Polamalu has now become. Polamalu can still play, but he isn't the player he was in his prime. Clark is still near the level he was.

lloydroid
12-31-2012, 07:34 PM

NOTE: Breaking board rules.

You may, from time to time, find yourself in disagreement with someone else's opinion. At times like these, please keep in mind it's safer and more polite to take issue with the comments rather than the person.

Statements or postings that violate the above terms will be deleted from postings upon discovery. While we may attempt to notify you if we move or delete a post, we are under no obligation to do so. Depending on the nature of the violation, the Planet Steelers community at their sole discretion may terminate a customer's account.

lloydroid
12-31-2012, 07:37 PM

I guess you missed all the games HE LOST with his bone head pics at the end of the game, or his pic 6s. You can't cherry pick; you must consider his ENTIRE body of work this season, not just the good stuff. Had been not played so unfocused and thrown game-losing pics, just one less, and we make the play offs. He went back to being "Back Yard Ben" playing sloppy, without focus and just being a bone head. That doesn't cut it. Do you recall Brady, Elway, Montana, et al. ever ruining seasons with sloppy mental focus like that? I don't.

lloydroid
12-31-2012, 07:39 PM
i do think it's fair to pin the w/l record on ben just because he's the qb. We lost 5 games by 3 points. If he gets us 3+ points in one of those games, we're playing next week. Not all his fault, but it probably means he had to make 1 more play. Or 1 less mistake.

His stats were fine. Unfortunately his mistakes often came at the worst possible times. And he seemed to lose a bit of that clutch gene of his. Hopefully an offseason with haley will help those 2 get on the same page and get this ironed out going forward.

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of blame to go around. But everyone of those losses, ben also took the blame himself.

this /\ /\ /\ /\

lloydroid
12-31-2012, 07:42 PM

Timmons peaked and it was one of the few enjoyable things to watch this season. And he didn't even do so in a contract year - he did it with years left on his deal. Kudos, Lawrence. No one can throw in you in part of the blame for a horrid season. You did your part, as did Clark, Miller and a few others. To have so many players under-achieve, you got to blame the head coach.

lloydroid
12-31-2012, 07:43 PM
1) Has to be Clark.

I have no problem with Miller getting voted Team MVP, but Ryan Clark's contribution/commitment was amazing if you paid attention. The guy played hurt ALL THE TIME, yet he never asked out, never took anything for granted, made plays, and (despite the pain) never let up. The guy is every bit what Polamalu has now become. Polamalu can still play, but he isn't the player he was in his prime. Clark is still near the level he was.

I don't know how much longer Clark can play at this level, but if we had a few more of players with that commitment and drive, we'd still be playing this post season. Clark is a true STEELER.

Sugar
12-31-2012, 07:53 PM
To have so many players under-achieve, you got to blame the head coach.

Maybe you choose to, but nobody's got to. Thankfully, he kept this team from tanking ala Detroit or AZ.

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 08:05 PM
I guess you missed all the games HE LOST with his bone head pics at the end of the game, or his pic 6s. You can't cherry pick; you must consider his ENTIRE body of work this season, not just the good stuff. Had been not played so unfocused and thrown game-losing pics, just one less, and we make the play offs. He went back to being "Back Yard Ben" playing sloppy, without focus and just being a bone head. That doesn't cut it.

Those came after he got injured. And maybe you didn't hear it but he injured his throwing shoulder? Hello?

Do you recall Brady, Elway, Montana, et al. ever ruining seasons with sloppy mental focus like that? I don't.

You obviously never knew much about John Elway before he had Terrell Owens as his teammate. He quarterbacked three teams to super bowl loses.

lloydroid
12-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Maybe you choose to, but nobody's got to. Thankfully, he kept this team from tanking ala Detroit or AZ.

He did? You mean going from 6-3 to 7-8 isn't tanking? I need to learn this new definition of tanking then.

lloydroid
12-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Those came after he got injured. And maybe you didn't hear it but he injured his throwing shoulder? Hello?

You obviously never knew much about John Elway before he had Terrell Owens as his teammate. He quarterbacked three teams to super bowl loses.

If he was playing, then he should be healthy enough to play to win. If not, why was he out there? And John Elway never played with Terrell Owens, ever. Also, the 3 Super Bowl losses by Elway were amazing that he even went as far as the SB in those seasons, as he had pretty weak defenses and rushing games in ALL those years. He worked miracles just to win the AFC in those years. Elway never let out the wet farts of failure as Ben did this season.

Dee Dub
12-31-2012, 08:27 PM
If he was playing, then he should be healthy enough to play to win. If not, why was he out there? And John Elway never played with Terrell Owens, ever. Also, the 3 Super Bowl losses by Elway were amazing that he even went as far as the SB in those seasons, as he had pretty weak defenses and rushing games in ALL those years. He worked miracles just to win the AFC in those years. Elway never let out the wet farts of failure as Ben did this season.

Typo meant Terrell Davis...but I think you get the point.

Snatch98
12-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Would you prefer illogical rambling? I'm also fairly certain the board rules apply to the more EXTREME end of things. I'm ALSO confident a majority of the message board would agree with my "psycho babble" comment. You're all over the board spewing it. It's getting old.

fordfixer
12-31-2012, 09:51 PM

Now now now let's be careful with what we say we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings now

fordfixer
12-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the assistance, I have scolded the offending party. I will try to do a better job of a of locking down these rogue posters,I will also let the other Mods know how sensitive you are, so they can help.

Slapstick
12-31-2012, 10:24 PM
He did? You mean going from 6-3 to 7-8 isn't tanking? I need to learn this new definition of tanking then.

They didn't tank because they weren't blown out. 5 of the 8 losses were by 3 points or less. They lost close, competitive games. They did not tank....

raycafan
01-01-2013, 12:37 AM
"Those came after he got injured. And maybe you didn't hear it but he injured his throwing shoulder? Hello?" Dee Dub, not trying to start an argument, but Ben did throw a pick in game 1 of the season. So he left a few out there this year, just was not what we have come to expect, playing wise from him.

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 12:52 AM
"Those came after he got injured. And maybe you didn't hear it but he injured his throwing shoulder? Hello?" Dee Dub, not trying to start an argument, but Ben did throw a pick in game 1 of the season. So he left a few out there this year, just was not what we have come to expect, playing wise from him.

Ben threw 8 picks all year. 8 picks. Because he threw a couple of critical ones at the end of the year (they came also after he hurt his throwing shoulder), fans are questioning whether he is clutch anymore and even have the nerve to say he had a down/bad year?

I dont get it. 3265 yards, 26 TD's, 8 INT's, 63.3 completion percentage, and a a 97.0 QBR says a whole different story.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Ben threw 8 picks all year. 8 picks. Because he threw a couple of critical ones at the end of the year (they came also after he hurt his throwing shoulder), fans are questioning whether he is clutch anymore and even have the nerve to say he had a down/bad year?

I dont get it. 3265 yards, 26 TD's, 8 INT's, 63.3 completion percentage, and a a 97.0 QBR says a whole different story.

The statistics you cited don't tell the whole story. Check out Ben's 4th quarter statistics for the season, and his stats in potential game-winning situations. Not saying he can't rebound next season, but for an objective observer, it ought to be obvious--Ben wasn't clutch this season.

As far as the injury excuse? Both Ben and Tomlin said the injury wasn't an issue in regard to Ben's performance after his return.

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
The statistics you cited don't tell the whole story. Check out Ben's 4th quarter statistics for the season, and his stats in potential game-winning situations. Way down. Not saying he can't rebound next season, but for an objective observer, it ought to be obvious--Ben wasn't clutch this season.

Steelers were 6-3 and coming off a clutch win on the road versus the defending Super Bowl Champs. Ben was on pace to shatter every Steeler single season QB stats. He was being mentioned for MVP. Then Ben got hurt. The performances versus Dallas and Cincinnati played a huge part in your 4th quarter statistics for Ben. Both games happened after the injury.

As far as the injury excuse? Both Ben and Tomlin said the injury wasn't an issue in regard to Ben's performance after his return.

I bet we will learn more about this in the off season.

NorthCoast
01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
There is a big difference between playing "hurt" and playing "injured". Ben probably was not injured when he returned, but he most certainly was hurt... and it showed.

lloydroid
01-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Look, most of us can just apply an eye test and clearly SEE that Ben stunk it up when he came back. I don't think being injured makes you throw passes right into the chest of a defender to lose games. I find it telling that a near-40-year-old Batch guts out a win in Balt. but Ben couldn't find 1 more win to send Pgh into the post season. That is crappy play; forget the rest of the numbers. Ben resorted to being Bone Head Ben, and it ruined the season.

Dee Dub
01-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Look, most of us can just apply an eye test and clearly SEE that Ben stunk it up when he came back. I don't think being injured makes you throw passes right into the chest of a defender to lose games. I find it telling that a near-40-year-old Batch guts out a win in Balt. but Ben couldn't find 1 more win to send Pgh into the post season. That is crappy play; forget the rest of the numbers. Ben resorted to being Bone Head Ben, and it ruined the season.

We get lloydroid. You hate Ben. To say "Ben resorted to being Bone Head Ben", says it all. To say that He is the one who ruined the season is a ridiculous as ridiculous could be.

lloydroid
01-01-2013, 05:20 PM
We get lloydroid. You hate Ben. To say "Ben resorted to being Bone Head Ben", says it all. To say that He is the one who ruined the season is a ridiculous as ridiculous could be.

You are in "Ben love denial." Did you not watch the Cinci and Dallas games? Must wins, that were lost with Bone Head plays, hence, the moniker, "Bone Head Ben." It's simply fitting and appropriate.

lloydroid
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
There is a big difference between playing "hurt" and playing "injured". Ben probably was not injured when he returned, but he most certainly was hurt... and it showed.

The most obvious part of Ben poor play was in his head, not his shoulder. Unless a shoulder injury hurts your vision, you can't make the excuse of an injury for his game-losing ways. In both games vs. Cinci and Dallas, he threw idiotic, game-losing pics to lose the game. Had nothing to do with his shoulder; had everything to do with him being careless and stupid. The D holds Cinci to 3 points without Ben being Bone Head Ben. It cost us the season. Not acceptable and, no, I don't care that he "apologized" to each player after wards. Too late, too little, and just a PR stunt. Nothing else. I hope people jeer him all over town, if he has the balls to show up in public.