PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Dick LeBeau wants to return

hawaiiansteel
12-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Steelers notebook: LeBeau wants to return

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, December 27, 2012

Even at age 76, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau doesn‘t plan to retire next season after again fielding the NFL‘s top-ranked defense, even during a subpar season.

“That would be up to Coach (Mike) Tomlin. Let‘s just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers,” LeBeau said. “Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike.”

Nose tackle Casey Hampton doesn‘t believe there is a better-prepared defense in the league.

“I‘ll put our guys up against anybody and against any defense,” he said.

• Win close games, have a good season. Lose close games, have a bad season. If there‘s any theorem that holds up from season to season, this is it. The Steelers have lost five games by three points or fewer, just as they did when they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs in 2009. Their total number of such losses in 2011, ‘10, ‘08 and ‘07? Three. Not surprisingly, they were 12-4 in three of those seasons and 10-6 in the other. “It just shows you the separation, the thin line between being a playoff team and going home early,” safety Ryan Clark said. “We didn‘t win enough.”

• Tight end Heath Miller was voted by teammates as the Steelers‘ Most Valuable Player. Several of them called it an easy choice. Miller is the first tight end selected since the award‘s inception in 1969. The announcement Thursday came on the same day Miller had surgery to repair three damaged right knee ligaments. Miller has a team-leading 71 receptions and eight touchdowns. “I have been saying for years that he is my favorite player, but we just never coached it up to where he got the opportunity to come out and show what he has been able to do,” safety Ryan Clark said. “If you look, game in and game out this year, when he got opportunities to deliver, he delivered.”

• Mike Adams, who started six games at right tackle before injuring an ankle, was selected from an injury-thinned field as the Steelers‘ rookie of the year, an award named for Hall of Famer Joe Greene. The Steelers were 4-2 when Adams started. Nose tackle Casey Hampton was chosen for The Chief Award for media cooperation, named after Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr. Both of those award winners were selected by the Pittsburgh chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America.

• Offensive coordinator Todd Haley understands that change hasn‘t always been easy for Ben Roethlisberger, who spent the previous seven seasons in former coordinator Bruce Arians‘ offense. The quarterback was critical of the play-calling recently. “It‘s not always the easiest thing because it‘s not always comfortable, and you have to adjust. That goes for all parties involved,” Haley said. “But that doesn‘t mean it‘s not right. Coach (Mike) Tomlin made a change. I was fortunate enough to be the guy that was chosen. You want to make your boss right, and I believe we will.”

• Now that he‘s run the offense for a season, Haley feels better prepared for the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine and draft. A season ago, his knowledge of Steelers players was based mostly on watching game video. “You get a much clearer picture of your needs, at least on offense. You have a much clearer picture of the players. I personally have a much better feel for all of the coaches, who I didn‘t know very well when I came here,” Haley said. “I believe we will just do nothing but get better, which is what we have to do.”

• Maurkice Pouncey is the first center in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl each of his first three seasons. Not that Roethlisberger is surprised. “I may be biased, but I think other people are seeing that he‘s the best center in the game,” he said. The most such selections for a Steelers center? Nine, for Hall of Famer Mike Webster.

• Cornerbacks Curtis Brown (ankle) and Keenan Lewis (knee) and receiver Mike Wallace (hip) were held out of practice Thursday for the second consecutive day. Adams (ankle) was out after getting limited work Wednesday.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3188475-74/steelers-miller-award?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29#ixzz2GIkCHrGr

flippy
12-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Nice feel good article.

Lebeau has had his best season coaching this year. I think what he's done is remarkable.

Glad to hear Haley being positive. Did they drug him? He's talking like he wants to get promoted to HC in Pittsburgh. Haley's done a 18o on his career since coming to Pittsburgh.

Also glad to see Heath getting recognition. Not sure it was entirely thanks to Haley's new offense. I had a feeling Ward had to be gone before Heath would start to get his due. Ward was a WR in a small TEs body. I think Pittsburgh's duo of Hines and Heath gave other teams the idea of getting two great TEs in their offense.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Will be interesting with Haley in the fold for the draft. I really think he is getting a bad rap. Ben was having a career season before his injury and a piss poor showing upon his return. We really should of been undefeated if the defense could make a stop in a couple games, prior to Ben's injury.

Regarding DL, he is obviously a solid DC, but I didn't care to hear multiple times this season, the opposition stating that we are doing the same things we were years ago.

SteelBucks
12-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Unlike others, I'd be happy if Lebeau returned.

NorthCoast
12-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I am extremely pleasantly surprised with how Haley has conducted himself since joining the Steelers. I think he realizes he has been given a golden opportunity to remold himself into a more balanced and worthy NFL coach. I sense nothing but patience in establishing what he believes is the correct offense for the team (and Ben) going forward. I think the offense is much closer to being a great one than they are to being a rebuild project.

pittpete
12-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Waiting for Ovi to enter.......

raycafan
12-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Honestly there is nothing wrong if they are doing something the same. It does not matter, for the defense changes based on what the offense is doing and vice versa. But, really the more comfortable a player is within a system the better the system will run, (as all know). Look at what happened in Philly last year, they bring in a new DC (Castillo), have loads of talent. All you would hear from the players is they just did not understand their assignments and responsibilities. It takes a while for a comfort level to come into play so that the players can do things with their eyes closed (so to speak).

Mister Pittsburgh
12-27-2012, 11:04 PM
I am extremely pleasantly surprised with how Haley has conducted himself since joining the Steelers. I think he realizes he has been given a golden opportunity to remold himself into a more balanced and worthy NFL coach. I sense nothing but patience in establishing what he believes is the correct offense for the team (and Ben) going forward. I think the offense is much closer to being a great one than they are to being a rebuild project.

I think with Haley it could be a little a little bit of the old 'you don't crap in your own yard' scenario.

NorthCoast
12-27-2012, 11:21 PM
I believe Dick LeBeau was still DC when that 'same old tired defense' soundly whipped NE and Brady last season, so an old dog can learn new tricks. But I don't think he does it unless he knows the players can execute what is necessary.
Wasn't it HJ Heinz himself who once said to be successful (in business) doesn't mean doing something different from your competitor, but rather requires you do the commonplace exceptionally well? There are at least 25 other teams in the league that would be happy with DL as their DC.

supersteeler
12-27-2012, 11:35 PM
LeBeau is the best in the business, if you had any doubts it was erased this season. Even the injuries couldn't stop this defense in being a top tier defense.
Glad he's coming back!

JB13
12-27-2012, 11:53 PM
I think DL's performance as DC this year was much like it was for the entire team. He was great in spots and for stretches, but over the course of the season, his shortcomings were terribly obvious. Teams are no longer mystified by the zone blitz scheme, despite all the fawning the announcers do any time a Steelers sacks the QB (an increasingly rare occurrence). You have to adapt your schemes to the personnel you have, but you also have to push the envelope a little. Every Steeler game I watched this year, the DBs were at least 7-10 yards off the receivers at the line. On Sunday, AJ Green is untouched on perhaps the most important down of the season. You can't have some type of scheme that will allow you to provide a jam at the line with help over the top if you get beat? He's the best receiver on the team and STILL he beats you? Shouldn't he be taken away and we force Dalton to find someone else?

LeBeau doesn't have it any longer. I understand he dealt with a ton of injuries, but if ever there was a meaningless stat, it is our #1 defense ranking. I'd much rather give up a ton of yardage during the course of a game than to give up big plays, red zone touchdowns and key 3rd down conversions. The Steeler D lacks imagination and creativity. I read about NFL coaches who come up with entirely new schemes on D each week so their opponents never know what to expect. I don't think we do that. We are missing something on D and I think it starts with LeBeau. He has been a great coach and an innovator, but those innovative days are well behind him. You think LeBeau could take a wide receiver and make him a D back, as we've seen the Pats do? I don't think so. The Steelers D is too reliant on its stars and when the stars don't perform, we're left wanting. We need a young DC who is eager to make a name and show what he can do. At one point in time, that guy was Tomlin, believe it or not. LeBeau isn't hungry any longer and it is a feeling that's passed on to his players and something you can see on the field.

NorthCoast
12-28-2012, 12:48 AM
I think DL's performance as DC this year was much like it was for the entire team. He was great in spots and for stretches, but over the course of the season, his shortcomings were terribly obvious. Teams are no longer mystified by the zone blitz scheme, despite all the fawning the announcers do any time a Steelers sacks the QB (an increasingly rare occurrence). You have to adapt your schemes to the personnel you have, but you also have to push the envelope a little. Every Steeler game I watched this year, the DBs were at least 7-10 yards off the receivers at the line. On Sunday, AJ Green is untouched on perhaps the most important down of the season. You can't have some type of scheme that will allow you to provide a jam at the line with help over the top if you get beat? He's the best receiver on the team and STILL he beats you? Shouldn't he be taken away and we force Dalton to find someone else?

LeBeau doesn't have it any longer. I understand he dealt with a ton of injuries, but if ever there was a meaningless stat, it is our #1 defense ranking. I'd much rather give up a ton of yardage during the course of a game than to give up big plays, red zone touchdowns and key 3rd down conversions. The Steeler D lacks imagination and creativity. I read about NFL coaches who come up with entirely new schemes on D each week so their opponents never know what to expect. I don't think we do that. We are missing something on D and I think it starts with LeBeau. He has been a great coach and an innovator, but those innovative days are well behind him. You think LeBeau could take a wide receiver and make him a D back, as we've seen the Pats do? I don't think so. The Steelers D is too reliant on its stars and when the stars don't perform, we're left wanting. We need a young DC who is eager to make a name and show what he can do. At one point in time, that guy was Tomlin, believe it or not. LeBeau isn't hungry any longer and it is a feeling that's passed on to his players and something you can see on the field.

Last I looked it wasn't just yardage the Steelers ranked high in. Despite numerous injuries to key players, the defense was #10 in scoring defense. Ahead of Baltimore and the genius in NE.
I guess there is no convincing some of you of LeBeau's value to this team. Hopefully the Rooney's and Tomlin have a little more sense.

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Dick LeBeau intends on returning to Steelers next season

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 28, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/dick-lebeau.jpg?w=250

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will likely return for another season as the head of the vaunted Steelers’ defense.

According to Chris Adamski of the Associated Press, the 75-year old LeBeau told his players this week he plans on coming back to head the Pittsburgh defense for another season.

LeBeau continues to say that his job status remains purely in the hands of head coach Mike Tomlin. While that may technically be true, the chances Tomlin wouldn’t bring LeBeau back if he wants to return next season is pretty miniscule.

“Let’s just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers,” LeBeau said. “Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike.”

LeBeau has spent 55 consecutive seasons in the league as a player and then a coach. Next season would be his tenth straight season at the helm of the Pittsburgh defense. During his time in Pittsburgh, the Steelers have led the league in total defense five times in nine seasons.

The Steelers defense has never ranked outside the top 10 in the league in total defense since LeBeau took over in 2004. If LeBeau wants to continue coaching, Tomlin will be happy to have him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/28/dick-lebeau-intends-on-returning-to-steelers-next-season/

Oviedo
12-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Waiting for Ovi to enter.......

Doesn't matter. LeBeau apparently is like that professor who has tenure. He'll stay as long as he wants and we can have another season of fewer sacks and INTs and probably an 8-8 or 9-7 record.

flippy
12-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Doesn't matter. LeBeau apparently is like that professor who has tenure. He'll stay as long as he wants and we can have another season of fewer sacks and INTs and probably an 8-8 or 9-7 record.

Given all he's had to deal with, did you really think our D would have been as good as they've been? A top 10 scoring D should be good enough to get you in the playoffs when you have a "franchise" QB. Lebeau is holding together a house of cards in a tornado imho.

I really think this might have been his best season. He turned chicken sh!t into chicken salad. And I think we found ourselves a hidden gem in Carnell Lake. I'd like for Lebeau to stay around a little longer so Lake gets a little more experience and possible a real shot at being our future DC.

Carnell's bucked the Tomlin team trend. He took a unit that was a weakness and turned it into a strength. His unit pretty much was the only bright spot. And he did it without his best player.

Heck, why can't Carnell one day be our HC?

Chadman
12-28-2012, 10:08 AM
More than any other 'team' at the Steelers, the Defense 'team' underwent some pretty major surgury this seaon- from Farrior & Smith & Hoke moving on, to multiple injuries, to the decline of some long-term vets, and the promotion of some young up-and-comers.

The Defensive unit was one of major change, and LeBeau did a very good job, considering the circumstances.

The Defense, sadly, will continue to suffer from instability until the transition from old-to-new is complete. Replacing Hampton, Harrison, Clark, Taylor, Polamalu & Keisel over the next couple of years will be difficult. Not to mention potentially losing Lewis this season.

NorthCoast
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
I too, think Carnell Lake has made his mark with this secondary. Lake was never a guy with elite speed or athletic ability but it was reported how much of a student of the game he was, always where he needed to be to make a play. It is quite remarkable his impact on the young guys in so short a time.

Now where can we find an OL coach version of Lake?

steelfin
12-28-2012, 12:07 PM
LeBeau is the best in the business, if you had any doubts it was erased this season. Even the injuries couldn't stop this defense in being a top tier defense.
Glad he's coming back!

+1...That is the best news I have heard this season....

Slapstick
12-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Given all he's had to deal with, did you really think our D would have been as good as they've been? A top 10 scoring D should be good enough to get you in the playoffs when you have a "franchise" QB. Lebeau is holding together a house of cards in a tornado imho.

QFT. This is exactly right. The scheme is exceptionally sound. Players need to make the splash plays when given the opportunity, like they did against Cincy...

phillyesq
12-28-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm quite pleased that Lebeau is coming back. The fact that the defense was able to do what it did despite the OLBs generating little pass rush is really a credit to DL.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Maybe the lack of pass rush (not just OLB pass rush) is partly due to LeBeau ...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Here is where I am at on this. Before the 2012 season I was ready to move on without him for 2013. Based upon the 2012 final outcome, I would like him to come back. Not because of what he did or where the defense ranked. Because of what I think will happen over the next 6 months. I feel there will be a big turnover on defense in 2013 and will continue in 2014. It would be very beneficial to have DL here for 2013 for player development in this system. I predict Harrison, Hampton, Foote, and possibly Keisel may be gone for 2013 and Polamalu, Clark, and Taylor will be gone for 2014.

Oviedo
12-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Because of what I think will happen over the next 6 months. I feel there will be a big turnover on defense in 2013 and will continue in 2014. It would be very beneficial to have DL here for 2013 for player development in this system.

You mean the historical LeBeau two to three year player development cycle? You really think that is what we need going forward?

It's really moot because the Rooney's are going to let LeBeau stay as long as he wants no matter what the performance.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-28-2012, 04:19 PM
You mean the historical LeBeau two to three year player development cycle? You really think that is what we need going forward?

It's really moot because the Rooney's are going to let LeBeau stay as long as he wants no matter what the performance.

We can't take 2 or 3 years to develop people, which half the time I think that is horse rap anyway and nothing more than Lebeau favoring veterans and making young players earn their stripes.

lloydroid
12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
[B]

“That would be up to Coach (Mike) Tomlin. Let‘s just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers,” LeBeau said. “Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike.”
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3188475-74/steelers-miller-award?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29#ixzz2GIkCHrGr

Anyone believe that? No way. It won't be up to Tomlin; it will really be up to the Rooneys. I never heard Tomlin say a peep about "his" decision to boot Arians; that's because it wasn't his call, nor will DL status be.

lloydroid
12-28-2012, 04:27 PM
We can't take 2 or 3 years to develop people, which half the time I think that is horse rap anyway and nothing more than Lebeau favoring veterans and making young players earn their stripes.

That crap has to end. You no longer can afford to wait 3 years for a player to be playing. It's BS. There is something to be said for making young guys earn playing time, but this team just takes it way too far. It's madness.

lloydroid
12-28-2012, 04:31 PM
LeBeau isn't hungry any longer and it is a feeling that's passed on to his players and something you can see on the field.

Yea, but they are all buddies, fawning all over each other, so it doesn't matter. As long as they are best buddies, we should be content.

squidkid
12-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Anyone believe that? No way. It won't be up to Tomlin; it will really be up to the Rooneys. I never heard Tomlin say a peep about "his" decision to boot Arians; that's because it wasn't his call, nor will DL status be.

i think anyone who really knows anything realizes the rooneys make the big decisions. DL is just being nice and making it sounds good. tomlin was probably able to hire the OL coach or ST coach(with rooney approval) but not much else.

pittpete
12-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Im sure we all know this allready, but in D.L.'s defense he had no Harrison and an uninspired,often injured Woodley.
Throw in the fact that none of our DL can beat a blocker and unless Foote or Timmons are unblocked, there's usually no pressure generated.

NorthCoast
12-28-2012, 05:27 PM

I'm going to call you out on this one. Over the last 3 seasons, most of the defensive draft picks were in a significant number of games, even in their rookie seasons. It may not be to the extent you want to see, but part of LeBeau's talent as a coach is knowing exactly how much to put on a young player to instill confidence and give the best chance for success. So regardless of your perception, the truth is DL plays young players when he thinks they are ready.
The pickup of CB Van Dyke is a typical example. The Raiders rushed him into the game and he was quickly overwhelmed and generally sucked and benched. With some patience and coaching from DL and Lake, I am hoping the guy can turn into something special.

Steelerphile
12-28-2012, 08:12 PM
I just don't tknow what the fans expect, that other teams never get any points? The rest of the NFL has a lot of talent. LeBeau has done an excellent job and I don't think age has one thing to do with creativity or innovation. The Steeler defense was again the most impressive and effective unit. The offense underperformed. If the Steelers had a top 15 offense to go with their No. 1 defense they would be in the playoffs and be one of the favorites to win it. Does LeBeau have something to do with the lack of turnovers? I don't think so, except maybe the they could emphasize tackling the ball more than they do. It seems like other teams go after the strip more than the Steelers. Does being old mean LeBeau has no concept of that? No, because that concept is as old as the rivers just like everything else. There is really nothing that is new because everything has been done before, it's just a matter of juggling things and I think LeBeau does it as well as anyone.

flippy
12-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm going to call you out on this one. Over the last 3 seasons, most of the defensive draft picks were in a significant number of games, even in their rookie seasons. It may not be to the extent you want to see, but part of LeBeau's talent as a coach is knowing exactly how much to put on a young player to instill confidence and give the best chance for success. So regardless of your perception, the truth is DL plays young players when he thinks they are ready.
The pickup of CB Van Dyke is a typical example. The Raiders rushed him into the game and he was quickly overwhelmed and generally sucked and benched. With some patience and coaching from DL and Lake, I am hoping the guy can turn into something special.

If a guy's good enough, he'll get PT. Cortez Allen got significant snaps as a rookie recently. I think Spence was on the path to playing this season before destroying his knee.

Other guys have gotten in early in the recent past as well. Woodley and Troy come to mind. Even the undrafted McClendon got PT early.

On the other hand, when you use 1st round picks on Ziggy and Heyward, you'd expect both of those guys to be in the lineup much faster. But they were also log jammed behind entrenched starters.

If you have a veteran team, rookies are gonna have a hard time beating out a vet. It's gonna happen on occasion, but shouldn't be expected to be the norm. Now if you're going to a team with no talent, then rookies have an easier path to playing.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-28-2012, 09:03 PM

The only reason those young players got in the game was due to injury or because someone wasn't signed and left via free agency, not because he trusted them. Name me a young player that he 'allowed' to beat out a veteran due to their play on the field.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-28-2012, 09:09 PM
If a guy's good enough, he'll get PT. Cortez Allen got significant snaps as a rookie recently. I think Spence was on the path to playing this season before destroying his knee.

Other guys have gotten in early in the recent past as well. Woodley and Troy come to mind. Even the undrafted McClendon got PT early.

On the other hand, when you use 1st round picks on Ziggy and Heyward, you'd expect both of those guys to be in the lineup much faster. But they were also log jammed behind entrenched starters.

If you have a veteran team, rookies are gonna have a hard time beating out a vet. It's gonna happen on occasion, but shouldn't be expected to be the norm. Now if you're going to a team with no talent, then rookies have an easier path to playing.

Woodley became a starter because we let Haggans walk. Troy sat behind who...Mike Logan his rookie year...which was 9 years ago....is that recent past? The only reason guys get on the field over DL's chosen ones is injury or them leaving via free agency.

NorthCoast
12-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Woodley became a starter because we let Haggans walk. Troy sat behind who...Mike Logan his rookie year...which was 9 years ago....is that recent past? The only reason guys get on the field over DL's chosen ones is injury or them leaving via free agency.

So apparently just because you are a high draft pick you are instantly better than whoever is playing on the field, and game experience counts for nothing? Not buying it. DL plays players when he thinks they are ready. As a rookie you might not see the field a lot, but if you are good it will happen quickly soon after. Getting used to NFL game speed is an adjustment for most college players.

The Steelers defense is consistently good for one reason, the players on the field are prepared for their assignments and for the most part, execute them well. It doesn't happen by accident or willy nilly substitutions.

NorthCoast
12-29-2012, 01:43 PM
I just don't tknow what the fans expect, that other teams never get any points? The rest of the NFL has a lot of talent. LeBeau has done an excellent job and I don't think age has one thing to do with creativity or innovation. The Steeler defense was again the most impressive and effective unit. The offense underperformed. If the Steelers had a top 15 offense to go with their No. 1 defense they would be in the playoffs and be one of the favorites to win it. Does LeBeau have something to do with the lack of turnovers? I don't think so, except maybe the they could emphasize tackling the ball more than they do. It seems like other teams go after the strip more than the Steelers. Does being old mean LeBeau has no concept of that? No, because that concept is as old as the rivers just like everything else. There is really nothing that is new because everything has been done before, it's just a matter of juggling things and I think LeBeau does it as well as anyone.

Exactly. It is very odd that some fans think LeBeau coaches in a vacuum and knows only one kind of defense. The guy has been around as long as dirt, has seen defensive schemes come and go, lived through rule changes, coaching changes. Bottomline, he knows what defenses work. The Steelers might not always have the best personnel for a particular opponent or offense, but in general no one can reasonably deny that week in week out, the Steelers defense keeps the opponent within winning distance.

thor75
12-30-2012, 02:15 AM
If LeBeau returns how do you think this affects Keith Butler, the supposed DC in waiting? How long does Butler wait and do we care if he goes or stays? Like mentioned earlier, C. Lake may turn into a good candidate in a few years if LeBeau sacks father time and sticks around.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-30-2012, 10:36 AM
So apparently just because you are a high draft pick you are instantly better than whoever is playing on the field, and game experience counts for nothing? Not buying it. DL plays players when he thinks they are ready. As a rookie you might not see the field a lot, but if you are good it will happen quickly soon after. Getting used to NFL game speed is an adjustment for most college players.

The Steelers defense is consistently good for one reason, the players on the field are prepared for their assignments and for the most part, execute them well. It doesn't happen by accident or willy nilly substitutions.

Your moving the goalposts. You say that young players 'in the recent past' have started.....the only reason was due to injury or the vet leaving. Only 'young' player to beat out a starter was Troy and he sat a year behind Logan....and yes, he should of started over Logan that year. Troy had more talent in the toe jam on his left foot over Logan so game experience means jack in that case.

squidkid
12-30-2012, 10:41 AM
If LeBeau returns how do you think this affects Keith Butler, the supposed DC in waiting? How long does Butler wait and do we care if he goes or stays? Like mentioned earlier, C. Lake may turn into a good candidate in a few years if LeBeau sacks father time and sticks around.

when DL leaves, i want to switch to a 4-3

Chucktownsteeler
12-30-2012, 11:01 AM
I think DLB needs to come back for one season, until this offense gells.

Oviedo
12-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phillyesq
12-30-2012, 11:53 AM

Troy, the guy that many called "Bustamalu" his rookie year? As a rookie, he looked slow and was often out of position. He did not play well which is why he did not see the field often.

phillyesq
12-30-2012, 12:00 PM

The Steelers don't play rookies as quickly as many teams because they have strong starters.

What Ovi refuses to acknowledge is that players on other teams throughout the league often take a few years to make an impact. There are as many busts on 4-3 teams as there are with 3-4 teams. Defensive players, and rookies generally, that come in early and make a difference as rookies are the exception, not the rule.

With the Steelers often picking late, it is difficult to find impact players generally, especially those that will make an early impact. If you are in a position to select JJ Watt, a guy like that will play. When you're stuck with Cam Heyward, a much less talented player, you should expect that it will take him longer to work his way into the lineup.

steelfin
12-30-2012, 12:57 PM

Why? What is the logic behind your desire to switch to a 4-3?

I don't care what they call the defense, as long as its effective....

Flasteel
12-30-2012, 01:16 PM
LeBeau coming back = :tt2

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-31-2012, 11:56 AM

Come on O...Young players have seen the field...But that isn't want I am talking about. The majority of those holes will be filled by people on the roster headed into camp. They will assume new roles. They have already been under DL. Stability goes a long way when you pencil in multiple new starters on a side of the football. The challenge will be the new guys coming in behind them that could push. Even if you use my prediction of Harrison, Hampton, Foote, and possibly Keisel being gone....Worilds-Carter, McClendon-Ta'Amu, Spence-Sylvester, and Heyward are sitting right behind them for 2013. The Steelers make sure they have competition by holding on to their own FAs. I expect an OLB & possibly an ILB in the draft and with coaching they could end up being the ones who win out. That is healthy and to be honest needed. I also expect a S and with Troy not being able to stay on the field...He may have to get up to speed very quickly. Regardless of that...He will be a starter come 2014. Learning behind Polamalu, Clark, and DL will be vital in his early development.

Turnover is going to be on defense over the next two years. I think it would be beneficial keeping as much stability on the staff as possible for 2013. DL leaving in 2014 will be an easier transition for the next in line with players schooled under DL over 2013.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Troy, the guy that many called "Bustamalu" his rookie year? As a rookie, he looked slow and was often out of position. He did not play well which is why he did not see the field often.

Bustamalu was coined due to him riding the pine behind the likes of Mike Logan.

phillyesq
12-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Bustamalu was coined due to him riding the pine behind the likes of Mike Logan.

Troy really did not start to come on until late in his second year.

Oviedo
12-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Come on O...Young players have seen the field...But that isn't want I am talking about. The majority of those holes will be filled by people on the roster headed into camp. They will assume new roles. They have already been under DL. Stability goes a long way when you pencil in multiple new starters on a side of the football. The challenge will be the new guys coming in behind them that could push. Even if you use my prediction of Harrison, Hampton, Foote, and possibly Keisel being gone....Worilds-Carter, McClendon-Ta'Amu, Spence-Sylvester, and Heyward are sitting right behind them for 2013. The Steelers make sure they have competition by holding on to their own FAs. I expect an OLB & possibly an ILB in the draft and with coaching they could end up being the ones who win out. That is healthy and to be honest needed. I also expect a S and with Troy not being able to stay on the field...He may have to get up to speed very quickly. Regardless of that...He will be a starter come 2014. Learning behind Polamalu, Clark, and DL will be vital in his early development.

Turnover is going to be on defense over the next two years. I think it would be beneficial keeping as much stability on the staff as possible for 2013. DL leaving in 2014 will be an easier transition for the next in line with players schooled under DL over 2013.

Look at our current roster and where are we stronger with more depth? on The Def Line or at LB? Our roster and some possible cap cuts indicate our LB group isn't deep enough or dominant enough for a LB centric defense and it will take years to rebuild it to where it was just two years ago.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Tomlin all but guarantees that LeBeau will be back

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/e4/ce4b32ae-de3f-11e0-82cc-001a4bcf6878/4e6fb0f51cff5.preview-300.jpg

It promises to be a busy season for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin after an 8-8 season. (AP file photo)

Wed Jan 2, 2013.
By Mike Bires

PITTSBURGH – During his season-in-review press conference today, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin heaped praise on Dick LeBeau but didn’t exactly return the favor in regards to Todd Haley.

Tomlin said it’s too early to speculate if there will be any changes on his coaching. He will meet with assistants later this week and early next week.

But when told that LeBeau wants to return as defensive coordinator, Tomlin said, “I think everybody is aware that I’m happy with the work of Dick LeBeau. A special man, a special coach.”

But when asked about Haley, Tomlin said "It was about 8-8, like all of us. I’m a black-and-white kind of a guy. He was an 8-8 coordinator. I was an 8-8 head coach. I don’t think that’s what either of us desire to be.”

The only assistant Tomlin has to replace is offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who is leaving to become the head coach at the University of Texas at El Paso. Kugler cleaned out his office at team headquarters this morning.

Kugler will not be taking any Steelers assistants with him to UTEP.

Tomlin is meeting with his team for the final time at 2 p.m. today and will start a series of exit meetings with his players. Some of those exit meetings will be held later today and them resume on Wednesday and continue on Thursday.

As far as the 2012 season that ended with an 8-8 non-playoff record, “We didn’t do enough particularly in the closing moments of close football games.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/tomlin-all-but-guarantees-that-lebeau-will-be-back/article_b37b7fd8-5373-11e2-b4fa-0019bb30f31a.html

Sugar
01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
"‎2007 #1, 2008 #1, 2009 #5 2010 #2 2011 #1 2012 #1! Thats the Steelers defense ranking over the last 6 years so to anybody out there that says Dick LeBeau doesn't know what hes doing and is too old, obviously don't know what they talking about!!!!!!" Thus speaks James Harrison (on FB)