PDA

View Full Version : Be Real: Tomlin is not a very good coach

NOTagdci981
12-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Tomlin's defense is soft and easily solved on 3rd and any to go, he has no clue what's going on offensively as the team has no identity and is built to throw 40+ times a game yet they want to continue running for a yard and a half 2 out of every 3 downs outside of the 4th quarter and the last 2 minutes of a half, doesn't go for it on 4th down at times he should, seems confused about using timeouts, hires terrible assistants, etc. Kevin Colbert has built a pretty good team but unfortunately he can't coach them. As a wiseman said years ago....this team would be garbage when Cowher's influence ran out and Tomlin had to actually coach his own players. This team is now complete and utter garbage.

Oh and because I know Tomlin is African-American and upon criticizing an African-American you are deemed racist so please just don't play the racism card.

SidSmythe
12-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Pretty Lame First Post!! Why Ya Hidin' Bro??

NOTagdci981
12-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Pretty Lame First Post!! Why Ya Hidin' Bro??

I am trying to mimic my first post with Tomlin's coaching effort.

pfelix73
12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Just got home from the game. I thought BOTH head coaches made some errors today...I am willing to give Tomlin 1 more year, but if next year ends up the same way, he's gone....

SidSmythe
12-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Just got home from the game. I thought BOTH head coaches made some errors today...I am willing to give Tomlin 1 more year, but if next year ends up the same way, he's gone....

Marvin Lewis calling for a 56 yarder at Heinz and then going for a 4th and 22??? Mind Boggling!!

squidkid
12-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Tomlin's defense is soft and easily solved on 3rd and any to go, he has no clue what's going on offensively as the team has no identity and is built to throw 40+ times a game yet they want to continue running for a yard and a half 2 out of every 3 downs outside of the 4th quarter and the last 2 minutes of a half, doesn't go for it on 4th down at times he should, seems confused about using timeouts, hires terrible assistants, etc. Kevin Colbert has built a pretty good team but unfortunately he can't coach them. As a wiseman said years ago....this team would be garbage when Cowher's influence ran out and Tomlin had to actually coach his own players. This team is now complete and utter garbage.

Oh and because I know Tomlin is African-American and upon criticizing an African-American you are deemed racist so please just don't play the racism card.

tomlin was hired for one resson.

Shoe
12-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Marvin Lewis calling for a 56 yarder at Heinz and then going for a 4th and 22??? Mind Boggling!!

Marvin Lewis must suck a mean dong, because I can't understand why he continues to be employed by the Bungles: A woeful record over a decade, and those two boneheaded decisions today.

Oviedo
12-24-2012, 02:00 PM

I'm not sure what "resson" you are referencing, but the reason he was hired is because he fit the mold of the previous two coaches the Rooney's hired and that is a young defensive coach who is very intelligent. It has proven to be a great hire with two Super Bowl appearances in his first six seasons which is better than Noll or Cowher.

I guess you would have preferred failures like Whisenhunt or Grimm.

Snatch98
12-24-2012, 02:00 PM

You should be ashamed of yourself and all the other f*cking idiots saying the same. Tomlin has a down year, a year PLAGUED with injuries and some of you are ready to cast the guy out. Are we being serious right now? Players come back from being injured, other players get hurt and this continued ALL SEASON LONG. We're sitting at 7-8 with the chance to be 8-8 and Chicken little is running rampant. Enough already.

Oviedo
12-24-2012, 02:03 PM
You should be ashamed of yourself and all the other f*cking idiots saying the same. Tomlin has a down year, a year PLAGUED with injuries and some of you are ready to cast the guy out. Are we being serious right now? Players come back from being injured, other players get hurt and this continued ALL SEASON LONG. We're sitting at 7-8 with the chance to be 8-8 and Chicken little is running rampant. Enough already.

Snatch--what we are hearing are those who NEVER wanted Tomlin for some obvious reasons (or ressons) but have been forced to hide in the shadows because of his excellent performance. Now is just their time to pile on.

NorthCoast
12-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Desperate times lead to desperate measures. In the end, Marvin's strategy, however lame, worked and Tomlin's did not.

At times I do find myself questioning whether Tomlin really is a student of the game, or a seat-of-the pants kind of coach. Why didn't Tomlin accept the intentional grounding penalty to put the Bengals back further? Has there ever been any articles about how much time he spends at the office during the season? just wondering...

Oviedo
12-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Desperate times lead to desperate measures. In the end, Marvin's strategy, however lame, worked and Tomlin's did not.

At times I do find myself questioning whether Tomlin really is a student of the game, or a seat-of-the pants kind of coach. Why didn't Tomlin accept the intentional grounding penalty to put the Bengals back further? Has there ever been any articles about how much time he spends at the office during the season? just wondering...

He didn't accept it because he wanted the ball back with the most time available. No one would had expected Lewis to run another play.

supersteeler
12-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Be Real: Tomlin is not a very good coach ????? WTF?

Maybe you would be happy with Rich Kotite Lol.

Va Steelr
12-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Tomlin had to deal with a lot this year,but I do think he needs to look in the mirror for some of the answers.Better in game decisions,preparation and options if the gameplan is not working.I think he is a good coach and hopefully will do what is needed.He does seem to care a lot about this organization and what it means to be a part of it.We need health and chemistry on this team to properly evaluate it.

lloydroid
12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
We need health and chemistry on this team to properly evaluate it.

And who is in charge of ensuring a quality chemistry? The head coach. He failed at that job this year, no doubt about it.

fezziwig
12-24-2012, 11:24 PM
I personally like Tomlin. I think he's smart guy, a good guy and I believe he did something that Cowher couldn't have done and that was win our last Super Bowl. Cowher would have still been having his love affair with his over hyped, buddy system players that he refused to get rid of.
The Rooneys probably liked Tomlin and thought he would be a nice change up from Cowher. Tomlin being black didn't hurt either with especially the Rooney Rule. Call me racist if you want, there was no way the Rooneys where not going to hire a black coach. But again, I still think the Rooney got the deal they wanted, a coach they thought could do the job and also happened to be black.
Having said all that, I am not so happy with Tomlin as I was at the start. I don't see any of his influence or possibly I do and his influence is negative on this team. The team seems weak, no heart and no leadership along with being poorly coached.
And whom ever stated Whiz is a flop or whatever, Whiz is just another example how good a coach could look with a HOF qb and how bad a coach can look without a HOF qb. Qb's make and break a coaches career.

hawaiiansteel
12-25-2012, 02:42 AM
I personally like Tomlin. I think he's smart guy, a good guy and I believe he did something that Cowher couldn't have done and that was win our last Super Bowl. Cowher would have still been having his love affair with his over hyped, buddy system players that he refused to get rid of.
The Rooneys probably liked Tomlin and thought he would be a nice change up from Cowher. Tomlin being black didn't hurt either with especially the Rooney Rule. Call me racist if you want, there was no way the Rooneys where not going to hire a black coach. But again, I still think the Rooney got the deal they wanted, a coach they thought could do the job and also happened to be black.
Having said all that, I am not so happy with Tomlin as I was at the start. I don't see any of his influence or possibly I do and his influence is negative on this team. The team seems weak, no heart and no leadership along with being poorly coached.
And whom ever stated Whiz is a flop or whatever, Whiz is just another example how good a coach could look with a HOF qb and how bad a coach can look without a HOF qb. Qb's make and break a coaches career.

I know you very well and I don't think you have a racist bone in your body.

if the best HC candidate had been white, I believe the Rooneys would have hired him. it just so happened that Mike Tomlin was the best choice and he just happened to be an Afro-American...

fezziwig
12-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks Hawaiinsteel. I guess your correct what the Rooneys would have done if they had a white coach they were happy to lead their team. For me and if the rule was the fezziwig rule, I would press myself to put my money where my mouth is. After reading what I've just typed your right, I nor the Rooney should feel any shame over picking the right guy or the person they or I would truly want. I'm sure they know in their heart as I do that, we would do what we feel is right or best for the team.

I love that pick you have of Tomlin giving Hairball the look. I bet Tomlin could take both Hairballs in a fight.

Mick'sTeam
12-25-2012, 10:19 PM
I've always been a Tomlin fan, but there is no denying he got out coached a lot this year. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I can't remember a time where I thought Tomlin was the one out coaching his opponent. At this point he's a broken record: "situational football this, situational football that", "the standard is the standard", "these men will prepare like men...". One knock on Cowher was his inability to make in game adjustments & unfortunately the same can be said for Tomlin. With all that said, the lack of focus, concentration & leadership on this team are most concerning, & those things fall on the coach; far too many times this year it just didn't seem like they were prepared to play (particularly against lesser opponents).

squidkid
12-25-2012, 11:46 PM
barry switzer was a much better coach than tomlin

hawaiiansteel
12-26-2012, 02:48 AM

okay, my turn.

President Barack Obama is currently in Hawaii and is coming over for dinner later.

okay, your turn again...

Shawn
12-26-2012, 06:55 AM

I'm not sure that is the only reason people are down on Tomlin. Great coaches produce teams that go positive in the turnover battle...Tomlins career net turnovers are well into the negative. Not to mention the Steelers have been one of the more highly penalized teams since he took over. That coupled with some serious knuckle headed decisions makes me think the thoughts of the original poster are not that far off.

fezziwig
12-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Have you noticed we have gotten out of rythm with the following ?

We used to keep teams from scoring in the first quarter

We used to win our openers

We used to not have teams run 100 yards upon us

We used to get more turnovers

We used to get more sacks

No matter how our record was we used to own our division

Our player hardly did the bone head things they are currently doing

Seldom our play calling was in question

We used to win most of our home games

I'm not saying Cowher was perfect and it was time for a change but, Tomlin has fallen faster and has taken this team down quicker than I can remember.

squidkid
12-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Have you noticed we have gotten out of rythm with the following ?

We used to keep teams from scoring in the first quarter

We used to win our openers

We used to not have teams run 100 yards upon us

We used to get more turnovers

We used to get more sacks

No matter how our record was we used to own our division

Our player hardly did the bone head things they are currently doing

Seldom our play calling was in question

We used to win most of our home games

I'm not saying Cowher was perfect and it was time for a change but, Tomlin has fallen faster and has taken this team down quicker than I can remember.

add the fact that cowhers teams were seldom unprepared, seldom unmotivated and seldom undisciplined. cowhers teams had an edge to them and other teams feared us. i can handle having a down year at 7-9 or 8-8 if the team was lacking talent or had major injuries, but this goes MUCH deeper than that

flippy
12-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Maybe something worth considering. Someone who appears polished likely has to spend time keeping up that appearance.

Tomlin comes across as one of the most polished coaches in sports history. Most great coaches don't because they're completely absorbed with coaching.

Cowher, Noll, Bellichick, etc. all looked ragged compared to Tomlin. Not sure it means anything? It could be 100% natural and authentic. But someone that finished isn't 100% natural most of the time.

papillon
12-26-2012, 12:59 PM
okay, my turn.

President Barack Obama is currently in Hawaii and is coming over for dinner later.

okay, your turn again...

729 (http://stillernation.com/phpbb/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=2#)

Pappy

Sugar
12-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Maybe something worth considering. Someone who appears polished likely has to spend time keeping up that appearance.

Tomlin comes across as one of the most polished coaches in sports history. Most great coaches don't because they're completely absorbed with coaching.

Cowher, Noll, Bellichick, etc. all looked ragged compared to Tomlin. Not sure it means anything? It could be 100% natural and authentic. But someone that finished isn't 100% natural most of the time.

What about Tom Landry or Pat Riley?? To me, the polish is just about personal style and not coaching ability.

eniparadoxgma
12-26-2012, 05:21 PM
What about Tom Landry or Pat Riley?? To me, the polish is just about personal style and not coaching ability.

:Agree:Agree:Agree

flippy
12-26-2012, 05:31 PM

I'm not trying to say there's something here or there isn't. But when you look at some of the numbers, I think it's a fair question, did we get a little more style than substance. Did Tomlin sell the Rooneys and Steeler Nation some swamp land?

Sometimes people overcompensate and put a little more effort into their personal style when they don't have substance. For others it's natural and success goes hand in hand with style. And yet others seem like complete buffoons but are amazingly competent at what they do.

Snatch98
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm not trying to say there's something here or there isn't. But when you look at some of the numbers, I think it's a fair question, did we get a little more style than substance. Did Tomlin sell the Rooneys and Steeler Nation some swamp land?

Sometimes people overcompensate and put a little more effort into their personal style when they don't have substance. For others it's natural and success goes hand in hand with style. And yet others seem like complete buffoons but are amazingly competent at what they do.

I'm sorry but this is just digging for something to explain the crap season.

1. Ben is difficult, it's something we've all known for a long time.
2. Prior to the injury of Ben he was having a very good season but the rest of the team was either fumbling or simply not catching the damn ball.
3. Injuries, injuries, injuries. I had hoped someone would have broken it all down but I may just end up doing it if for no other reason that to see just how messed up this season has been.

I could continue with that list and Tomlin is far from perfect but you aren't going to sit back and go all chicken little on all things Steelers because we're having a crappy year. If the team stayed healthy and the receivers played like they've played in the past we wouldn't even be talking about this right now as we'd have one of the top seeds in the AFC. It's been a bad year that isn't the result of any one thing in particular but rather a crap wrapped Christmas present of minor things that made a larger problem.

Oviedo
12-26-2012, 06:36 PM

He was obviously better than Cowher since he beat him the Super Bowl. Not so sure about Tomlin.

flippy
12-26-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm sorry but this is just digging for something to explain the crap season.

1. Ben is difficult, it's something we've all known for a long time.
2. Prior to the injury of Ben he was having a very good season but the rest of the team was either fumbling or simply not catching the damn ball.
3. Injuries, injuries, injuries. I had hoped someone would have broken it all down but I may just end up doing it if for no other reason that to see just how messed up this season has been.

I could continue with that list and Tomlin is far from perfect but you aren't going to sit back and go all chicken little on all things Steelers because we're having a crappy year. If the team stayed healthy and the receivers played like they've played in the past we wouldn't even be talking about this right now as we'd have one of the top seeds in the AFC. It's been a bad year that isn't the result of any one thing in particular but rather a crap wrapped Christmas present of minor things that made a larger problem.

I've defended Tomlin when it's warranted, but also see it as completely fair to ask some questions about his coaching. He rose up through the ranks pretty quick. Did he really get enough time to learn how to be a great coach?

He seems like a natural leader. But does he have lots of experience in the details? He had a short stint with Dungy. The won a SuperBowl with Gruden who got a good team over the hump. Then he spent a year in Minny.

Does Tomlin have a system? A philosophy? He's interesting amongst coaches in that he comes here and doesn't have his own system to install. So what we could be getting now is the leadership and experience with little to back it up in terms of experience.

We may still need to let him learn on the job. He does seem to have challenges impacting change. A lot of the problems we have year in and year out continue into the next season and the next season without fixes. ST and OLine come to mind. They're problems yearly.

We finally seem to have fixed the DB issue with a mix of young players and coaching. Maybe we can do something similar with the OLine and ST next year?

But Tomlin needs to find good assistant coaches to help him out. And I wonder how much Rooney being in Ireland is having an impact?

You could argue Tomlin seems to have followed the path of Gruden. Both very charasmatic guys.

BATMAN
12-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Some of us Steeler fans are seeing the writing on the wall before others in my opinion. Tomlin teams seem to slide a bit more south each season and I don't mean the game records with wins and losses but at the end, the losses are due to Tomlins inabilities or his lack of coaching. The list does have some valid points of how this team has slid in categories unlike previous Steeler teams over the years.
Cowhers act was getting old and with all his AFC losses, a little of me died as a Steeler fan in each of those losses.
Tomlin now has picked up where Cowher left off and he's doing it at a much faster rate. Tomlin as a head coach has made some bone head discisions in his day and now with this team being mentally weak with pentalties, turnover/lack of turnovers, disciplinary issues with the players, not recognizing whom to start and the above mentioned list , we are witnessing the Tomlin slide.

fezziwig
12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
It's Electric !