PDA

View Full Version : Is Tomlin's Job Safe?

flippy
12-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Tomlin's got a good track record. And the Rooney's don't make overreactions. But so much is in complete disarray. And Tomlin doesn't seem to have control of anything.

We've got guys all over the field half arsing it. ST is a wreck. The O is a wreck. Our punter is a wreck. Our decision making is a wreck. Our D has played good, but it has fundamental problems.

The players seem to have quit on him. I feel silly asking this question, but seeing how he's completely lost this team, you've gotta wonder where we go from here.

The offseason should be interesting.

SteelBucks
12-23-2012, 05:41 PM
They'll never fire Tomlin.

SidSmythe
12-23-2012, 05:42 PM
It's 100% Safe for Now!!

but if this becomes a trend it's not ... another losing season and the lease will be shortened.
Really starting to question his decision making here after trying that 53 yard FG. Optimism doesn't win football games

SteelBucks
12-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Really starting to question his decision making here after trying that 53 yard FG. Optimism doesn't win football games

1000% agree. I'll never understand that decision.

supersteeler
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Tomlin will be here for a long time, the Rooney's don't make knee jerk decisions just for one bad season.
The players made their bed in Oakland, Tenn, Cleveland, San Diego. Win just one of those game and we are still playing next week for a shot in the playoffs.

DukieBoy
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Decison-making late in the game was awful. The outcome and the way it ended proves this.

Steelhere10
12-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Missing the playoffs twice in his 7 year tenure with four of those years 12 win seasons. Yes his job is safe... however underperforming for two years straight off a big contract ala Troy, Wooodley , Colon etc some of the players might not be.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Tomlin has done a poor job this season. That said, he's not in any trouble of being fired. He's young...hopefully he can regroup, learn the lessons he needs to learn, and make some adjustments. I expect him to do better next year.

flippy
12-23-2012, 06:26 PM
I think Tomlin's always been on a short leash. His coordinators were forced on him early on. Then it seems Rooney is the one that wants to get rid of BA and replace with Haley.

What's next? Does he have to check in with Rooney before he can challenge a play or kick a FG?

I do think this is a little different than Cowher and Noll. They didn't have teams fall apart after some success while they were still early in their Steeers career.

Tomlin seems to have some fundamental problems. He's been successful in spite of some of the issues. But he can't seem to figure out how to fix his short comings. The OLine is a weakness year in and year out. ST is a weakness year in and year out. Our DBs have been a weakness year in and year out until this season.

And now we're getting to the point of having Tomlin guys on the roster and these guys don't look like they're 100% committed - Wally, Mendy, Woodley, etc.

And quite possibly the biggest question is has Tomlin helped Ben maximize his development as a QB? Ben had already won a SuperBowl before Tomlin. Has Tomlin helped him get better?

We're dealing with a different Rooney now. And maybe he'll be more likely to make a change that his Dad wouldn't have. Is it possible he feels an urgency to take advantage of Ben's time in Pittsburgh? Maybe the old man being in Ireland is a bigger problem than any of us know?

We have all of these good players. We have good coaches. Good individuals. But the entire body is a bit of a mess right now. There's so much wrong, no decision this offseason would really surprise me.

Look how long we had to wait for Ben. We don't want to waste the opportunity of having him as our QB.

rider500
12-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't count on it. Mr. Cliche has not shown his ability to control egos. Benching players has barely worked. There is no respect on this team. This is aproblem that has been building over the past two or three years. No sports team ever had stellar integrity, but the Steelers seemed to keep up that vanguard for years. One can tell the team that plays hard and loses with dignity v. the ones that just lose out of lack of discipline.

lloydroid
12-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Tomlin's got a good track record. And the Rooney's don't make overreactions. But so much is in complete disarray. And Tomlin doesn't seem to have control of anything.

We've got guys all over the field half arsing it. ST is a wreck. The O is a wreck. Our punter is a wreck. Our decision making is a wreck. Our D has played good, but it has fundamental problems.

The players seem to have quit on him. I feel silly asking this question, but seeing how he's completely lost this team, you've gotta wonder where we go from here.

The offseason should be interesting.

Funny, but I got universally flamed for asking the same thing 1 week ago. But I agree: as lost as this team is, they should at least consider the head coach spot. Did you see how he didn't bother to get upset until after Cinci kicked the game-winning FG? Way to go, Mikey. You could really make an impact with 4 seconds left.

Slapstick
12-23-2012, 10:41 PM
The Steelers haven't had a losing yet. This season isn't over and these guys can't play like it is.

Steelersdude
12-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Tomlin's job should be safe for at least one more year. He needs to make changes though. This team, with all the talent on the roster, never really looked prepared to play this year, and that is directly attributable to the head coach. I'm tired of hearing "the standard is the standard" and "we take responsibility for our play." The standard is not being applied to the replacements because except for maybe Legursky and Adams, no "next man" is prepared or performing any where near the guy he replaced. As far as responsibility goes, the way to take responsibility for your mistakes is to LEARN from them and not repeat it. Examples: Ben's play the last two weeks, poor tackling all season, numerous dropped passes, etc., all points to coaching.

NOTagdci981
12-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Of course it is. Mr. Rooney is too busy overseas serving the anointed one to notice the team he owns sucks under Mike.

NOTagdci981
12-23-2012, 11:14 PM
The season isn't over? Is the NFL going to disqualify one of the teams in front of them?

SidSmythe
12-24-2012, 12:03 AM
The season isn't over? Is the NFL going to disqualify one of the teams in front of them?

Well the Patriots have been known to cheat!! :D

tiproast
12-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Well the Patriots have been known to cheat!! :D
I see you're starting to get with the program!

eniparadoxgma
12-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Tomlin has done a poor job this season. That said, he's not in any trouble of being fired. He's young...hopefully he can regroup, learn the lessons he needs to learn, and make some adjustments. I expect him to do better next year.

Completely agree. It's strange that to me in some ways it's seemed that he's regressed, but I'm also expecting him to learn and do better next year.

While we're out of the playoffs (obviously) there is still another game to play. I, for one, am interested in seeing what we look like and how much pride we have.

NOTagdci981
12-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Completely agree. It's strange that to me in some ways it's seemed that he's regressed, but I'm also expecting him to learn and do better next year.

While we're out of the playoffs (obviously) there is still another game to play. I, for one, am interested in seeing what we look like and how much pride we have.

A real fan would be rooting for them to lose to improve draft position.

eniparadoxgma
12-24-2012, 12:42 PM
A real fan would be rooting for them to lose to improve draft position.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not. If you're not: 1. You don't get to decide what a "real" fan is to begin with 2. I can't imagine someone that claims to be a fan of a team hoping for them to lose regardless of the circumstances. You play the game to win. Besides, the draft, as has been proven time and time again, is for the most part a crap shoot. Other than 1, 2, or 32 draft position doesn't necessarily equate to anything anyway.

flippy
12-24-2012, 01:00 PM
I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not. If you're not: 1. You don't get to decide what a "real" fan is to begin with 2. I can't imagine someone that claims to be a fan of a team hoping for them to lose regardless of the circumstances. You play the game to win. Besides, the draft, as has been proven time and time again, is for the most part a crap shoot. Other than 1, 2, or 32 draft position doesn't necessarily equate to anything anyway.

Real Fan = Me

Unreal Fan = Everyone Else

Thanks for setting him straight and letting him know I get to decide these types of things :)

Agree with you on the draft too.

eniparadoxgma
12-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Real Fan = Me

Unreal Fan = Everyone Else

Thanks for setting him straight and letting him know I get to decide these types of things :)

Agree with you on the draft too.

Glad I could help out. :)

JB13
12-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Have been a Steelers fan for almost 40 years. I live in New England, so I get the Pats every week during the season. Talent level aside, I'm always struck at how prepared and disciplined the Patriots are. I think that starts with Belichick. If you don't do your job, if you don't play 100% and if you're not a smart player, he'll sit you or he'll cut you. We don't have that with Tomlin. Sure, he sat Mendy after all those fumbles, but it was pretty obvious what needed to be done there. Plus, Mendy is going to be a free agent and most likely wouldn't have come back anyway, so what's the harm in sitting him? For the players, there is no fear of reprisal. I watched most of the Steelers games this year and saw the same thing every game - dumb penalties, guys not knowing the game situation, guys not giving 100%. In consecutive weeks, last week and this week, Mike Wallace had a chance to make a defensive play after an interception. Both times he didn't. Last week he stood there while the Dallas DB got up off the ground and ran to the Steelers one. You think he might be worried about getting hurt with free agency looming? These guys are selfish self-promoters who seemingly do what they want without worrying about the reprecussions.

I am not a Tomlin fan and have never thought he was a great coach. His clock management is poor, his game-time decisions are weak and remember, he had a top 5 defense in Minnesota. Between him and LeBeau, they can't figure out ways to get more consistent pressure on the QB? Yesterday's pass rush was an aberration. In most games, the opposing QB had all day to throw. While our DBs may be better, they are still pretty pedestrian, but our defense is predicated on getting pressure. If we're not going to get pressure, then we need to move from cover DBs to more physical, shut-down type of guys. Tomlin doesn't have control of this team and I don't care if he's signed through 2016, he needs to go. You go for a 54 yard field goal instead of trying to pin the Bengals deep? You let AJ Green be single-covered and get off the line without a bump in the most important game of the year? These are types of mistakes great coaches don't make. I can't stand Belichick, but he gets his team ready to play and they always know the rules. They play smart and rarely beat themselves. The Steelers, through penalties, lapses in thinking and less than 100% effort, often beat themselves.

If you lose 5 games by 3 points, as they did this year, that's where coaching makes a difference. As a coach, you are paid to put your team in a position to win. Players make plays, but coaches instill a culture and if players sense there's not consequences, they'll exploit it. Great coaches are in control 100% of the time. Tomlin is not. Yes, he's done well in the regular season and has won a Super Bowl. But if winning a Super Bowl was the sign of a great coach, then George Seifert, Barry Switzer and Brian Billick would still have jobs. Tomlin must go.

fordfixer
12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
You play the game to win.
Thanks Herm:-)

eniparadoxgma
12-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks Herm:-)

I thought of that when I wrote it lol. I just can't imagine being a fan of a team and thinking "I really hope we lose this next game so we can pick 16th instead of 18th in the draft" (or something similar). Maybe, just maybe, if we had a 4-11 season going and if we lost the last game we would get the 1st pick...and there was a sure fire no.1 draft choice that we could get that we really needed...I might think in the back of my head "Well...maybe it would be better if we lost" but it still wouldn't sit well with me for the team to come out with the intention of losing or not playing to its potential.

fordfixer
12-24-2012, 06:31 PM
I thought of that when I wrote it lol. I just can't imagine being a fan of a team and thinking "I really hope we lose this next game so we can pick 16th instead of 18th in the draft" (or something similar). Maybe, just maybe, if we had a 4-11 season going and if we lost the last game we would get the 1st pick...and there was a sure fire no.1 draft choice that we could get that we really needed...I might think in the back of my head "Well...maybe it would be better if we lost" but it still wouldn't sit well with me for the team to come out with the intention of losing or not playing to its potential.
I agree "You play to win the game":-) :-)

lloydroid
12-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't count on it. Mr. Cliche has not shown his ability to control egos. Benching players has barely worked. There is no respect on this team. This is aproblem that has been building over the past two or three years. No sports team ever had stellar integrity, but the Steelers seemed to keep up that vanguard for years. One can tell the team that plays hard and loses with dignity v. the ones that just lose out of lack of discipline.

On the "young" money.