PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor...Really?

blitzburg2013
12-21-2012, 09:36 AM
I keep hearing that if we are to make the post-season, that having Ike Taylor back will definetley be the difference since Victorian seems like he would have a very difficult time defending the likes of Brady, Manning, and Schaub. Clearly Ike is an upgrade but is he that big of an upgrade to make a difference? I keep hearing commentators every week say that he is an elite corner and is always guarding the best reciever. Ok but what if when he is guarding those best recievers and they are always scoring on him? I remember earlier in the year it seemed like every reciever he guarded scored on him. Examples, D. Thomas, D. Heyward-Bey, S. Holmes, K. Britt, A.J. Green, Victor Cruz, etc. and he has a total of 1 int. He clearly isnt an elite shutdown corner like Revis is and I truly believe that will not be the difference of success if we make the playoffs. In my opinion, getting pressure on those elite quartberacks who dont like to be out of the pocket will be the real difference, otherwise as I said earlier our corners will make no difference in the outcomes.

Just wanted to hear thoughts on what the real difference would be if we are to make the playoffs....

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Ike hasn't had a great season, especially the first part of it, but I don't think that all the receivers you mentioned scored on him. He's not elite, and he's never snagged many picks, but he's still the best we have. And compared with the likes of Victorian, King, even Brown? C'mon. Even Allen and Lewis, while they've showed a lot of potential, they're not yet as dependable as Taylor. If, by some miracle, we were to make the playoffs, we'd have to have Ike back to have any kind of chance at making a run.

D Rock
12-21-2012, 10:13 AM
that's just silly talk. Do you by any chance have a brother or cousin named Lloydroid?

phillyesq
12-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the board.

I don't think that Ike Taylor is elite like Revis, but few are. He had an awful game in Denver and a slow start to the season, but he played well after that. The difference between Ike and Victorian/Brown is that you can play more press and give less help/cushion. Ike is also a solid tackler, which makes a difference.

MCHammer
12-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Ike is the best we have and the best we've had in some time. He does a pretty solid job most of the time considering he is matched up against the No 1 WR every game. There have been some bad games in there, and when a CB has a bad game you notice - but by and large he has been a dependable player who often does not get the credit he deserves. He has taken the No 1 receiver almost completely out of the game on many occasions too.

He is not a true shut down corner, but how many of those are there in the NFL? The Steelers have tended to focus more on corners who are solid against the run and good enough to cover WR until our pass rush gets the QB. Without a pass rush, our cbs are exposed for what they and Ike is the best of the bunch so without him, there is a noticeable drop off.

SidSmythe
12-21-2012, 11:26 AM
what NFL CB (besides REVIS) doesn't get beat in this day and age??
IKE is NOT a "shutdown" corner by any mean but really who is these days??

blitzburg2013
12-21-2012, 11:54 AM
He is not a shutdown corner by any means but announcers regard him as an elite corner and i just dont see it and my point is that people think that having him back is a key difference when we go to the playoffs and I think he's not that type of player to make a difference. I believe that those 3 quarterbacks I named would do just as much damage on our corners whether he is in or not. Quarterbacks do not shy away from him at all. I hear people say gosh we just need Ike back for sure for the playoffs because he can make a difference in those games and I'm just saying in my opinion that's not whats going to be the difference. You have to get pressure on the qbs and have our safeties help out to save us from our corners.

SidSmythe
12-21-2012, 12:02 PM
We had the #1 pass defense in the NFL with him in there w/out a team that was getting pressure on the QB.
I'd go on to say Philip Rivers and Tony Romo looked like Superstars b/c IKE wasn't in there...but overall I say our secondary has done a pretty good job for the most part this season.

blitzburg2013
12-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Again, my point was a difference in the PLAYOFFS. We're not talking about how good our defense is against Brandon weeded, matt hasselback or mark Sanchez. We're talking about how our d is going to do in the playoffs against brady, manning, schaub. As I said before any corners we have will not make a difference against them, the difference will be the points I have made.

D Rock
12-21-2012, 01:08 PM
I still don't see your point about Ike.

Whether he will single-handedly shut down an opponents offense or not, it's pretty darn important to have your best corner out there playing in the biggest games.

It seems like your point really isn't that Ike isn't as good as some say he is, but rather that you think this team isn't good enough to beat the Patriots, Broncos, or Texans.

Slapstick
12-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Again, my point was a difference in the PLAYOFFS. We're not talking about how good our defense is against Brandon weeded,

The QB of the Browns is "Branderek Anderweeden"....

pittpete
12-21-2012, 02:36 PM
First we have to make the playoffs.
Secondly, Ike is as close to a solid CB that there is in today's NFL.
I don't see your arguement being valid.:confused:

steelblood
12-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Again, my point was a difference in the PLAYOFFS. We're not talking about how good our defense is against Brandon weeded, matt hasselback or mark Sanchez. We're talking about how our d is going to do in the playoffs against brady, manning, schaub. As I said before any corners we have will not make a difference against them, the difference will be the points I have made.

No one can predict how the playoffs will go. But, Ike is our best corner and gives us our best chance to win in the playoffs. I'm not sure what you want folks to say. Does Ike suck sometimes? Yes. But, so do 98% of the corners in the game. They suck because the rules forbid them to do so many things that they basically have to play perfectly on each play to avoid sucking.

lloydroid
12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
that's just silly talk. Do you by any chance have a brother or cousin named Lloydroid?

Statements or postings that violate the above terms will be deleted from postings upon discovery. While we may attempt to notify you if we move or delete a post, we are under no obligation to do so. Depending on the nature of the violation, the Planet Steelers community at their sole discretion may terminate a customer's account.

o Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member, coach or player.

The double standards continue. As do the FAILURE to follow Christian beliefs. FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

D Rock
12-21-2012, 03:37 PM
The double standards continue. As do the FAILURE to follow Christian beliefs. FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

I saw a similarity in your posting styles, and asked a simple question. No problem there.

flippy
12-21-2012, 03:42 PM
...if I could be like Ike....

lloydroid
12-21-2012, 04:08 PM
I saw a similarity in your posting styles, and asked a simple question. No problem there.

Bull sh-t.

Clearly, you attempted a form of ridicule. No biggie. But if you are allowed to do it, then everyone should be allowed. Double standards are untruthful.

flippy
12-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Bull sh-t.

Clearly, you attempted a form of ridicule. No biggie. But if you are allowed to do it, then everyone should be allowed. Double standards are untruthful.

You 2 are like Ovi and Spaghetti. It took a while, but now they're besties. In good ole Hollywood Brangelina fashion, I'm dubbing those 2 "Spaghetti O's".

You guys could be "D Roid". All it takes is agreeing on 1 thing and bam - it just happens. :)

Starlifter
12-21-2012, 04:44 PM
I'll wait to discuss Ike in the playoffs on monday. the way this team has performed this year it's a real possibility the season is over in 48 hours. cincy knows with a win we are likely eliminated. they will be motivated, inspired with enough young talent who don't understand their role in the NFL as bungles is to be perennial losers.

however, IF we make the playoffs - we're a better team with Ike than without.

SidSmythe
12-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Good thing I'll be standing in front of Jesus Christ on Judgement Day and not LloydDroid!! :roll:

Steelerphile
12-21-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't think the fans on here are appreciating Ike enough. You see the big dropoff with Victorian in there. Ike still has excellent speed to keep up with the fastest receivers. Steelers had the No. 1 pass defense this year, and Ike and Keenan Lewis were a big reason why. Steelers held A. J. Green to one catch the first meeting and he has been lighting up the rest of the NFL. Hopefully Allen can play well this weekend but I would be a lot more confident about this game if Ike were healthy.

lloydroid
12-21-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't think the fans on here are appreciating Ike enough. You see the big dropoff with Victorian in there. Ike still has excellent speed to keep up with the fastest receivers. Steelers had the No. 1 pass defense this year, and Ike and Keenan Lewis were a big reason why. Steelers held A. J. Green to one catch the first meeting and he has been lighting up the rest of the NFL. Hopefully Allen can play well this weekend but I would be a lot more confident about this game if Ike were healthy.

I'd rather see Troy covering the top of the D vs. Green instead of wasting space at the LOS where he won't get any pressure on the QB and will just fly around missing tackles. Might as well have him doing something that actually makes a difference.

blitzburg2013
12-21-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm not here saying that Ike Taylor is a scrub by any means. What I'm saying is he's not a top tier corner in the league. Would I rather have him in than Victorian? Ofcourse. But unlike other Steeler fans who just can't bring themselves to say something negative about the team, I'm going to be honest. What I'm getting at is people talk like as if having Ike Taylor in the lineup is the only way we can make a run and I'm just not buying it. Does anyone believe that if Victorian is in instead during the playoffs that those qbs would do less to our defense. People talk Ike up every year and I just don't believe hes the corner people think he is. All those players scored on him this year that I mentioned and some I mentioned are average at best. That doesn't happen with elite corners in the NFL. I'm saying having Ike in the lineup shouldn't jack up your confidence if we make the playoffs. All the recuevers in the playoffs can easily have thier way with him but as I said thats not the key. It's safety play and pressure and if that doesn't happen, we'll u know. People need to be objective and see him how he is, not what they want him to be. But for the record, he is not a scrub and I would rather have him yet but I will say again, it won't make much of a DIFFERENCE

eniparadoxgma
12-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Ike is a top tier (top 15ish) CB in the NFL IMO. If he could actually catch he would be top five IMO.

First we have to make the playoffs.
Secondly, Ike is as close to a solid CB that there is in today's NFL.
I don't see your arguement being valid.:confused:

Agree with both points.

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2012, 08:39 PM
You 2 are like Ovi and Spaghetti. It took a while, but now they're besties. In good ole Hollywood Brangelina fashion, I'm dubbing those 2 "Spaghetti O's".

You guys could be "D Roid". All it takes is agreeing on 1 thing and bam - it just happens. :)

Not bad, flip...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_N93REQ-kLLw/S7TA7PCHxrI/AAAAAAAAAGo/MjzI-HWrADs/s1600/Spaghetti-Os-.jpg

http://www.droidforums.net/gallery/data/513/Droid_Background_Design_Full1.png

papillon
12-21-2012, 09:23 PM
There's more to playing corner back than intercepting passes (which we know Ike is not good at). You have to be able to tackle the catch, support in the run game and defend the best athletes in the game. Ike has routinely played good to great in pass coverage against the NFL's best WRs week in and week out. He is a very good tackler after a catch has been made and he is one of the best in run support. There are 64 starting corner backs in the NFL and Ike is easily in the top 15 and probably top 10. If the poor soul could catch a cold he'd be too expensive to keep in Pittsburgh.

Man, some of you just get on an agenda and don't see what's happening on the field. The difference in the defense with Ike on the field and Ike not on the field was astounding.

Pappy

blitzburg2013
12-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Where do you in your right mind get Ike as being a top 10 cb? And Ike does guard the best wr for each team routinely ever week but you say he guards them well? Have you watched a game this year? All the top recievers he guarded scored on him for the most part. Watch a game.

Shoe
12-22-2012, 02:40 AM
what NFL CB (besides REVIS) doesn't get beat in this day and age??
IKE is NOT a "shutdown" corner by any mean but really who is these days??

Ike's problem is that he tried to bill himself as some shutdown corner, when he never was. He was always campaigning for a Pro Bowl berth (which, in his prime, he was a borderline PB player). The announcers always say he shadows the opponent's best WR.

He was an above-average corner in his hey-day, who could hold his own with the elite. Nowadays, his big problem is that he can't hold his own anymore. He is Demaryus Thomas' b!tch. Fitz abused him again. They want to cite how he held AJ Green to one catch this year... which BTW, will bite us in the @ss this time around, since we know Ike didn't/couldn't shut him down at all.

papillon
12-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Where do you in your right mind get Ike as being a top 10 cb? And Ike does guard the best wr for each team routinely ever week but you say he guards them well? Have you watched a game this year? All the top recievers he guarded scored on him for the most part. Watch a game.

Demarius Thomas - 5 for 110 and 1TD (71 yards on a WR screen, Ike got blocked)
Santonio Holmes 2 for 28 and 1TD
Denarius Moore or Darius Heyward-Bey 5 for 45 and 1TD (on Ike) or 2 for 14 and 1TD (on Mundy)
Desean Jackson - 4 for 58 yards, 0TD
Kenny Britt - 4 for 62 yards and 1TD
AJ Green - 1 for 8 yards, 0TD
Josh Morgan or Santana Moss - 5 for 46, 0TD or 4 for 21, 1Td (Moss was the slot WR on the TD and covered by Keenan Lewis not Ike)
Victor Cruz - 5 for 67 yards, 0TD
Dwayne Bowe - 4 for 55 yards, 0TD
Torrey Smith - 1 for 7 yards, 0TD
Josh Gordon or Mohammed Massaquai - 4 for 60 yards, 0TD or 3 for 27 yards, 0TD
Torrey Smith - 3 for 33 yards, 0TD

Not even sure why I did this research, anyone in their "right mind" knows that Ike is one of the best CBs in the game (just doesn't get INTs). He conceded 4 TDs (including a yard completion with 70 yards of YAC) over 12 games and meager pittance of yards (one game where the receiver was over 100 yards and it was a WR screen with 70 yards of YAC, Polamalu and Taylor were both blocked). You should turn the TV on once in awhile and watch the games.

Just from curiosity, name the 14 CBs better than Ike, I said Ike is a top 15 corner and maybe better

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-22-2012, 12:31 PM
It is simply amazing how some people continue to undervalue Ike's value to this defense. You do understand that Keenan Lewis leads the league in passes defensed because the guy playing opposite him most of the season simply isn't thrown to.
Does he have bad games? sure, every player does. but Ike has been there every week for a very long time. can't say that about any other CB on this team.