PDA

View Full Version : AB's positioning on the punt return

snarky
12-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I feel like part of the blame for Brown being in the wrong spot for the punt return falls on the coaching staff. I mean, sure the guy is a pro and should have been in the right spot. But you can't tell me that with all the people we have standing on the sideline you can't have one guy standing there with a laminated chart showing where the punt returner should be standing based on the line of scrimmage for the punt. The consequences of a punt hitting the ground when it shouldn't can be twenty or twenty-five yards of field position. And if you don't need a chart (which does seem like overkill) somebody on the coaching staff should have noticed that he was too deep.

SidSmythe
12-19-2012, 03:07 PM
after losing that fumble I think BROWN's head went into a frenzy. He did that and then he went out of bounds to stop the clock after catching a pass.

Dude was out of his mind. Not the coaches fault at all.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-19-2012, 03:17 PM
totally on AB.

dude had a meltdown.

snarky
12-19-2012, 03:32 PM
While I agree that Brown has some responsibility and that he melted down a little bit after the mistake. And that's partly why I think the coaching staff shoulders some blame. Sometimes it is a coach's job to make sure his players head is in the game.

Part of a coach's (or any manager's) job is to prevent mistakes from happening wherever possible. And it's just not enough to say, well it should just be right. Yes, Brown should go out there and place himself every time (I'm not saying they should be telling him where to initially place himself) but somebody on the sideline should be checking his positioning. Every single player is capable of making a mental error and this is one that is easily preventable.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure what our special teams coach does.

flippy
12-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Again, I blame Wally :)

But in all seriousness, I'm surprised the coaches put AB back out there and didn't have someone else back there returning this time after the fumble.

SidSmythe
12-19-2012, 04:00 PM
It's George Bush's fault!!!

ikestops85
12-19-2012, 06:03 PM
While I agree that Brown has some responsibility and that he melted down a little bit after the mistake. And that's partly why I think the coaching staff shoulders some blame. Sometimes it is a coach's job to make sure his players head is in the game.

Part of a coach's (or any manager's) job is to prevent mistakes from happening wherever possible. And it's just not enough to say, well it should just be right. Yes, Brown should go out there and place himself every time (I'm not saying they should be telling him where to initially place himself) but somebody on the sideline should be checking his positioning. Every single player is capable of making a mental error and this is one that is easily preventable.

I'm with you. The coaching staff should have seen where Brown was positioned and moved him. The blame for that is definitely shared.

Chadman
12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Brown pooped the bed multiple times vs Dallas. It happens- young player, still learning, in an important game- sometimes the situation can get to a guy.

Blame anyone you like- but it's on Brown.

Just like Ben fessing up to the bad throw- that was on him.

You know what? Let's blame Ziggy Hood- he hasn't recieved enough blame lately. And through in a dash of Willie Colon while we are at it.

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure what our special teams coach does.

yeah, it's a damn good thing we fired the last guy in the middle of the season and hired this one. :roll: