PDA

View Full Version : Division Title Not Out Of Reach...

Slapstick
12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
1) Steelers win both games.

2) Ravens lose both games.

Three teams finish 9-7.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Three or More Clubs(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

Steelers would be 3-1. Ravens 2-2. Bengals 1-3.

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Me winning the Powerball is also not out of reach just a very low probability.

Slapstick
12-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Me winning the Powerball is also not out of reach just a very low probability.

Also, you saying something witty is just as improbable...:p

BradshawsHairdresser
12-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Three teams finish 9-7.

[/LIST]

We're a .500 team. We've dropped four out of our last five games. We're a game behind for the last wild-card spot, two games behind the division leader. More than the losses, it's how and to whom we've been losing...if we somehow make it to the dance, we might well be the worst team there. Playoffs? I really don't want to hear about any playoff possibilities until we win a game again.

Slapstick
12-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Playoffs? I really don't want to hear about any playoff possibilities until we win a game again.

K. If I start anymore threads like this, I'll make it very clear so you can avoid them...:cool:

Jooser
12-17-2012, 01:01 PM
We give away games so willingly, what makes anyone think we won't give away the last playoff spot as well? Anyone? K.

Slapstick
12-17-2012, 01:03 PM
We give away games so willingly, what makes anyone think we won't give away the last playoff spot as well? Anyone? K.

We're in it until we're out of it. I'm pulling for playoffs right up until we are eliminated. The rest of you can choose to do whatever you want. K.
:bungalssuck

BradshawsHairdresser
12-17-2012, 01:05 PM
I just want them to win the next game. But I don't have much confidence, at this point.

Slapstick
12-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I just want them to win the next game. But I don't have much confidence, at this point.

Now, THAT I can relate to...

But, I can only count on 16 weeks of FB per year...I prefer to enjoy it as much as I can while I have it...

papillon
12-17-2012, 01:11 PM
The Steelers aren't trying to give away the games; the team is playing hard from start to finish. I know the WRs were awful, Ben's pick was awful, the corners were torched, but at the end of the day the players weren't trying to lose the game. If that were the case they could have folded the tent when it was 10-0. I didn't see any give up yesterday at all. The Cowboys made one more play than the Steelers did and that was the difference.

At the end of the day, the playoffs start this coming Sunday, the Steelers control their own destiny, unbelievably, but its true. Win 2 and they're in the playoffs and then everyone is 0-0. The Steelers have competed in every game and I expect they will compete to the end this upcoming week as well. They need to "find" a way to win, rather than "finding" a way to lose.

Pappy

JAR
12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
We're in it until we're out of it. I'm pulling for playoffs right up until we are eliminated. The rest of you can choose to do whatever you want. K.
:bungalssuck

Time to bring this out.

http://i.imgur.com/AWN4B.jpg

The weather around here is gloomy enough, I refuse to be gloomy too.

:tt1:tt2

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM

I disagree. I don't think we give them away "willingly" but we do give them away "EASILY"

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 01:46 PM
The Steelers aren't trying to give away the games; the team is playing hard from start to finish. I know the WRs were awful, Ben's pick was awful, the corners were torched, but at the end of the day the players weren't trying to lose the game. If that were the case they could have folded the tent when it was 10-0. I didn't see any give up yesterday at all. The Cowboys made one more play than the Steelers did and that was the difference.

At the end of the day, the playoffs start this coming Sunday, the Steelers control their own destiny, unbelievably, but its true. Win 2 and they're in the playoffs and then everyone is 0-0. The Steelers have competed in every game and I expect they will compete to the end this upcoming week as well. They need to "find" a way to win, rather than "finding" a way to lose.

Pappy

Well said, but will they "find a way to win?" Its almost like the team is waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

pfelix73
12-17-2012, 01:48 PM
We're gonna win on Sunday.

papillon
12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Well said, but will they "find a way to win?" Its almost like the team is waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

That's probably true because they feel snake bitten. Yesterday, late in the game was a microcosm of the season. Keenan Lewis makes a great play to break up a pass intended for Bryant and lands awkwardly and can't return to the field. The Steelers put the last healthy corner back available on the field. Hell, Tate Golden got significant snaps at nickel back or dime back. Even as the players that replace the injured player begin to get in a groove, they then get injured. The whole season has been that way. The Steelers haven't even been close to fielding a team with even 80-85 percent of their starters this season. That's somewhere between 18 and 19 of your starting lineup that would have to be on the field. It seems that at least 4-5 players can't go each week that the Steelers count as a starter. Harrison, Woodley, Ben, Ike, Troy, Ryan, Mendnhall, Dwyer, Redman, Adams, Gilbert, Foster and then yesterday, the icing on the cake, Keenan Lewis who has been playing good football makes a play and injures himself, unbelievable.

They know how to win, they want to win, but playing with players that need to be developed, but not during a game against a good quarterback isn't a recipe for winning and, yet, the Steelers were there with the chance to win the game and the unlikeliest of players makes his only mistake of the day in overtime.

That's the way it has gone this year, sucks.

Pappy

BigRob
12-17-2012, 02:22 PM
That's probably true because they feel snake bitten. Yesterday, late in the game was a microcosm of the season. Keenan Lewis makes a great play to break up a pass intended for Bryant and lands awkwardly and can't return to the field. The Steelers put the last healthy corner back available on the field. Hell, Tate Golden got significant snaps at nickel back or dime back. Even as the players that replace the injured player begin to get in a groove, they then get injured. The whole season has been that way. The Steelers haven't even been close to fielding a team with even 80-85 percent of their starters this season. That's somewhere between 18 and 19 of your starting lineup that would have to be on the field. It seems that at least 4-5 players can't go each week that the Steelers count as a starter. Harrison, Woodley, Ben, Ike, Troy, Ryan, Mendnhall, Dwyer, Redman, Adams, Gilbert, Foster and then yesterday, the icing on the cake, Keenan Lewis who has been playing good football makes a play and injures himself, unbelievable.

They know how to win, they want to win, but playing with players that need to be developed, but not during a game against a good quarterback isn't a recipe for winning and, yet, the Steelers were there with the chance to win the game and the unlikeliest of players makes his only mistake of the day in overtime.

Pappy

I think you mean Robert Golden. But I agree with your post. Been one o them seasons.

papillon
12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
I think you mean Robert Golden. But I agree with your post. Been one o them seasons.

Robert Golden is correct, Hell, I can't keep up with the revolving door the Steelers have been calling starters this year. We're developing players in crucial games rather than in practice. It's a good development process, but it doesn't lend itself to winning football games.

Pappy

lloydroid
12-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Three teams finish 9-7.

[/LIST]

I hate talk like this. Who really cares if the div title is "in reach?" They stink. Even if they make the play offs, they are going no where. Whatever is wrong with this team (and there are MANY options to speak of) isn't going to be fixed at this point. It's over. This team is rotting, stinking garbage and it starts with immature mindsets and attitudes, a head coach who doesn't know how to manage it, and so on. I also think they are a strong case of "trying to be too cute" with play calling. What happened to them wanting to make Dwyer the "work horse back?" What did he have, 5 carries? When you run your tiny 170-lb back more than your "work horse" back, I'd say you ventured off your plan quite a bit.

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Your workhorse back had 9 carries and rushed for 2.4 yards per carry.

His backup had 3 carries and rushed for 10.0 yards per carry.

The tiny 170-lb back had 3 carries and rushed for 5.0 yards per carry.

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 05:18 PM

That's why they need to resign Mendy so Lloyd can honor his committment to quit being a fan:stirpot

Eddie Spaghetti
12-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I want to get into the playoffs, but I don't have any illusions about this team. They are not that good, but if they could jump from #6 to #4, they might do a little damage.

baltimore looks to be imploding in epic fashion. I really could see them losing out. The terrible spot on that 4th and 29 may save their season even though they are one and done, more than likely.

if nothing else, this season has been a roller coaster ride.

lloydroid
12-17-2012, 06:13 PM

So when does your "work horse" back get 9 carries? Wow. That sounds like a real work horse. That's like saying you took your work horse and plowed 20' with him in a day. Oh, and gee, what happened when Redman got 3 carries? He got hurt, AGAIN. Why am I right so much of the time?

lloydroid
12-17-2012, 06:15 PM

Pappy

Reading their comments and studying the players' body language, if they answered the question honestly, they can't wait for this season to end.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-17-2012, 06:16 PM
So when does your "work horse" back get 9 carries? Wow. That sounds like a real work horse. That's like saying you took your work horse and plowed 20' with him in a day. Oh, and gee, what happened when Redman got 3 carries? He got hurt, AGAIN. Why am I right so much of the time?
Redman didn't get hurt too badly, did he? I thought I saw him in again a few plays later.

Slapstick
12-17-2012, 06:34 PM
I hate talk like this. Who really cares if the div title is "in reach?" They stink. Even if they make the play offs, they are going no where. Whatever is wrong with this team (and there are MANY options to speak of) isn't going to be fixed at this point. It's over. This team is rotting, stinking garbage and it starts with immature mindsets and attitudes, a head coach who doesn't know how to manage it, and so on. I also think they are a strong case of "trying to be too cute" with play calling. What happened to them wanting to make Dwyer the "work horse back?" What did he have, 5 carries? When you run your tiny 170-lb back more than your "work horse" back, I'd say you ventured off your plan quite a bit.

I could not possibly care less about your opinion.

I do know that, if this somehow comes to pass, I will, for the first time, buy an AFC North Division Champion shirt...because this would end up being the most difficult divisional title ever....

flippy
12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
So when does your "work horse" back get 9 carries?

When that's about all your work horse back's conditioning will allow. Plus your work horse needs to get more than 2.4 yards per carry for the O to keep the ball longer and to get more carries.

lloydroid
12-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Redman didn't get hurt too badly, did he? I thought I saw him in again a few plays later.

I think you might be right. But he was dinged from running 3 plays - just not a good sign. His initials aren't "IR" for nothing.

lloydroid
12-17-2012, 07:38 PM
When that's about all your work horse back's conditioning will allow. Plus your work horse needs to get more than 2.4 yards per carry for the O to keep the ball longer and to get more carries.

And, it helps when your work horse has just a little open space, in order to work up any momentum. There was absolutely no holes made by the O line all day long.

Sugar
12-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Just beat Cincinnati. That is all.

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2012, 08:00 PM
And, it helps when your work horse has just a little open space, in order to work up any momentum. There was absolutely no holes made by the O line all day long.

The guy with the initials "IR" was able to find a hole for 22 yards. Sure, he got nicked up on the play, but he did come back later as Terry's Barber already noted. The same thing would have happened to your boy who had 8 fewer yards on 3 times the number of carries, because whenever he runs for 22 yards, he also immediately leaves the field for oxygen treatments because of how winded he is, then comes back later.

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Why am I right so much of the time?

:lol::Clap:tt2:tt1:lol::Clap

This man deserves a Stemmy of some kind...I won't bother to speculate about which type it should be, but there had to have been a category for him out there, I'm sure.

:lol::Clap:tt2:tt1:lol::Clap

Jooser
12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Stemmy Award

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2012, 02:10 AM
Jets eliminated from playoff contention, it'll either be Pittsburgh, Cincinnati or Baltimore as the sixth seed

By Neal Coolong on Dec 18

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/5207399/20121216_mje_sh2_216.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The AFC's last wild card team will be one of three AFC North teams, and there's still a chance Cincinnati or Pittsburgh can win the division if Baltimore continues its epic collapse.

It doesn't take the business's best analyst to determine the most glaring problem with the Steelers in their second half swoon of 2012.

Pittsburgh has managed to turn the ball over 21 times in losing four of their last five games. They've only taken it away six times. They're at -14 in turnover differential this season.

What happened to the ball control team that wasn't turning it over early in the season?

They weren't getting turnovers - and haven't been over their last 31 games, dating back to the start of the 2011 season - but as a team they're displaying as much care and concern for the ball as they do useless ATM receipts.

In the pocket, eventually to the trash, don't mind if it hits the ground at some point in between.

The Jets, a team the Steelers clobbered in Week 2, were eliminated from playoff contention with a 14-10 loss to Tennessee on Monday Night Football in Week 15. Their loss means the three remaining seeds in the playoffs will go to Baltimore (either AFC North division champions or one of the wild card teams), Indianapolis, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

Last year, the AFC North became the first team in the league since 2007 to put three of its four teams in the post-season. It's still mathematically possible for that to happen, but it isn't likely.

What also isn't likely is the Steelers advancing to January football if they continue to turn the ball over at the epic rate they're currently suffering. Fumbles as well as interceptions, starting quarterbacks as well as back-ups. They're getting beat on time of possession - which didn't used to happen - consistently, and it's killing the ability of an offense that doesn't score often.

That in turn is putting too much stress on a defense that's decimated by injuries in its secondary and was picked apart by Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo.

Fortunately for the defense, Bengals QB Andy Dalton is no Tony Romo, but the play will be the same; underneath crossing routes, challenge the inexperienced cornerbacks on the outside, and wait for a big play to develop.

They may even take a risk or two (something Dalton is well known for) considering the lack of consistency in which the Steelers offense is mired at this point in the season.

If they can protect the ball, they can beat the Bengals as well as the Browns.

But asking whether they can do that is perfectly valid, even after a start that saw them as one of the least turnover-prone teams in the NFL.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/18/3779778/afc-playoff-picture-steelers-north-wild-card-scenarios-title