PDA

View Full Version : Ben questioning Haley play calling. ..

Steelhere10
12-16-2012, 10:29 PM
HE took the blame for the loss but question Haley for not getting Heath the ball more.

Sure, Not
12-16-2012, 10:32 PM
I just pray we are not going to "unleash hell" these last two games.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Link link link link link?
Link link link link link link please?
(Sorry -lazy now).

Steelhere10
12-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Link link link link link?
Link link link link link link please?
(Sorry -lazy now).
Depot. The best source around

DukieBoy
12-16-2012, 10:59 PM
I just pray we are not going to "unleash hell" these last two games.

We have unleashed hell only to bedevil ourselves.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Kovacevic: Ben's audible on Haley loud, clear

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Sunday, December 16, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=s3i36 XJEx69dM3Gj0nfnls$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYt3AKm17CC_uAx NhgVK1fM1WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers tight end Heath Miller rambles for a second-quarter touchdown against the Cowboys on Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012, at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

ARLINGTON, Texas — Antonio Brown‘s eyes were beet red, bloodshot almost beyond recognition. One could easily hazard a guess why, after his litany of late mistakes loomed so large in the Steelers‘ knife-twisting 27-24 loss to the Cowboys on Sunday.

“It‘s my fault,” Brown fairly whispered.

No, actually, it wasn‘t.

Not entirely, anyway.

Ben Roethlisberger stood equally tall in manning up for his overtime interception, one that not only sealed defeat but also — maybe most crushingly — conjured up nightmares of Neil O‘Donnell and Larry Brown.

“This is on me, 100 percent,” Roethlisberger said. “I let my team down, the fans, everybody.”

Nope. Sorry again, but that‘s just not the whole truth.

Not after this maddeningly inconsistent team has stumbled all season to find an identity even when one is thrust in its collective face.

Not after simple results show again and again how it operates best and, yet, the team still sticks by what it wishes it could do.

Not after Heath Miller is targeted six times in the first half, catches all six for 85 yards and a touchdown, then never has his number called in the second half by offensive coordinator Todd Haley and, ultimately, coach Mike Tomlin. Not once.

That‘s not just stubborn. It‘s stupid.

So good for Roethlisberger for being bluntly candid when I asked if Dallas‘ defense had done something to take away Miller after halftime.

“No,” he replied without hesitation, “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball.”

Whoa, right?

You know, there have been occasions going back to Bruce Arians‘ retirement/firing and Haley‘s hiring where Roethlisberger has made veiled — even thinly veiled — criticisms of his newly imposed coordinator. But none came close to this.

And he wasn‘t done.

Roethlisberger was asked about the no-huddle, which the Steelers used Sunday when they looked most fluid — kind of like always — and he said, after a lengthy hesitation: “I don‘t … that‘s tough for me to answer right now. In the second half, we really didn‘t do much of it. And, um, that‘s disappointing.”

Double-whoa, right?

But wait. Even in describing his shining moment, the eternal scramble that led to Miller‘s touchdown, this was his Roethlisberger‘s recap: “The play got called, and they went to a prevent defense, so the play that was called wasn‘t a good play. At all. So we just started making a play, I saw Heath and just tried to get it to him.”

Hat trick of whoas!

Make no mistake: What the Steelers have right here is a 100-percent legitimate, non-manufactured quarterback vs. coordinator controversy.

And I‘ll say it again: Good.

Maybe that‘s what this team needs to regain its identity: Take it by force.

This game wasn‘t lost in overtime. I don‘t even think it was lost with Brown repeatedly losing his mind.

Ask me, and it began to get lost on the Steelers‘ opening drive of the second half, after Brown returned a punt to the 50 and continued all the momentum Miller had generated almost singlehandedly to that point.

Here was your go-for-the-jugular play-calling from Haley:

• Jonathan Dwyer over right guard, 4 yards.

• Dwyer up the middle, 1 yard.

• Roethlisberger incomplete short pass to Dwyer in right flat.

Yeah. Way to step on that Texas rattlesnake, gentlemen.

If it ended there, OK, no big deal. But when play after play kept getting called without No. 83 involved, it became clear that Haley was doing exactly what the Cowboys couldn‘t: He was shutting down Miller.

Miller didn‘t see another ball until the first play of overtime, which, naturally, he caught.

I asked Miller if he was disappointed, and he kept to his low-key profile: “That‘s just the way the game goes. I understand it.”

I‘m not sure why anyone would.

Tomlin‘s got his work cut out for him. His team is spiraling downward at 7-7, he‘s got to get them to show up for a critical showdown with the Bengals next Sunday — hardly a given — and, on top of that, be sure that he‘ll have to deal with the Roethlisberger-Haley situation.

No team can function without its quarterback and offensive coordinator on the same page, and these guys aren‘t in the same library right now.

I don‘t know about you, but I‘m with the quarterback on this. I really don‘t care how smart Haley is, really don‘t care if the Steelers ever find a way to run between the tackles (they‘ve had one outside run the past two games), really don‘t even care if Haley‘s with the team beyond this season or not.

The franchise player, that‘s different.

It‘s well past time the Steelers start hearing what he has to say before he starts calling far more serious audibles.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3144653-74/roethlisberger-haley-miller#ixzz2FHfN9Cet

Keyplay1
12-17-2012, 05:13 AM
What Kovacevic is really saying is the he [Kovacevic] could call a better game than what he has been seeing the past few games or more. Many fans will probably agree with him.

Keyplay1
12-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Here are how some of the teams that have whipped TS in the past several weeks are doing now.

Wk 12 Cleveland 20 Pit 14 Wk 15 Washington 38 Cleveland 21[at Cle too] A rookie QB puts up 38 on the devastating CLE D. He must be really something special. RGIV? Who is this Kirk Cousins anyway. He really did the job.

Wk 14 San Diego 34 Pit 24 Wk 15 Carolina 31 San Diego 7 [at SD too] Their glory and euphoria at crushing TS was short lived.

Toss in both Bal games in recent weeks and TS did not get much O going. But there were a lot of injuries and changes. But nonetheless look how easy Denver handled them.

The common theme here is those teams apparently were not playing anybody. [TS?] Is it possible TS are highly overrated? Believe it or not I do not think so. TS record wise in weeks 12 thru 15 was 1 and 3 and that was exactly what was necessary. It was only imperative to win 1 of those games. The rest were meaningless except for the damage to many fans egos. Now the season starts. It is that simple.

Those losses to Cle SD and Dal were truly a gesture of extreme benevolence on the part of TS.
Sort of like buying a pair of shoes for a homeless person. Really, sometimes these acts of generosity are rewarded with good things showering on the good samaritan. I am curious to see how this works out.

btw: Both Cle and SD chances to win the world championship ended today. The best they can do now is 7 wins and that cannot get them in the PO's. But at least thanks to TS they did have one more week of joy.

You may be wondering how this is related to this thread. Well, I figure maybe the poor play calling contributed to those losses and should share in some of the glory.

Slapstick
12-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Did Haley call that last play, Ben? You know...the one where it was picked and returned to the Steelers' 1 yard line? No?

This kind of complaint would mean a lot more to me if that were the case...

steelblood
12-17-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm not a big fan of taking on your coordinator in the media. I'd rather that was done behind closed doors. Ben has a history here too. It seemed that he'd matured a bit, but I'm not so sure. Many will say this is the right thing to do. But, for me it is a muddled move. He takes the blame, and then spreads it all over the play-calling. To me, that is weak, and inconsistent.

Steelhere10
12-17-2012, 08:34 AM
I agree that it wasn't professional, but I made the same comments during the game about his play calling which have been borderline horrible.

Ghost
12-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Say what you want about Haley, but Ben stunk yesterday. He had a wide open back 5 yards away for a 1st down and threw it into the ground. That was momentum crushing. Ben took 2 devastating sacks at the end of the game. You have to understand where you are and ditch it. Ben threw the interception to a COVERED Wallace and it was not a good throw with any zip. Hey Ben - how about an audible and get it to Miller - don't wait until after the game to say something. This is supposed to be a partnership. You think something should change - then change it. But damn, don't do nothing and then cry about it after the game. You've been wretched 2 weeks in a row. A little self-reflection might be called for right about now.

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Say what you want about Haley, but Ben stunk yesterday. He had a wide open back 5 yards away for a 1st down and threw it into the ground. That was momentum crushing. Ben took 2 devastating sacks at the end of the game. You have to understand where you are and ditch it. Ben threw the interception to a COVERED Wallace and it was not a good throw with any zip. Hey Ben - how about an audible and get it to Miller - don't wait until after the game to say something. This is supposed to be a partnership. You think something should change - then change it. But damn, don't do nothing and then cry about it after the game. You've been wretched 2 weeks in a row. A little self-reflection might be called for right about now.

Agree. Taking a shot at Haley is a cheap shot because the problems we had yesterday were mainly execution problems not plays.

Jooser
12-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Ben Roethlisberger seems unhappy with the Steelers’ playcalling

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 16, 2012, 9:41 PM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/roethlisbergersacked.jpg?w=250
Reuters
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger)was unsurprisingly unhappy after Sunday’s loss to the Cowboys. And while Roethlisberger told reporters in the locker room after the game that he primarily put the blame for the loss on himself, he also hinted that he thinks Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley deserved some of the blame.
Roethlisberger, whose relationship with Haley has been a hot-button topic in Pittsburgh this season, didn’t mention Haley by name. But he did make a couple of comments that suggested he wasn’t crazy about the way Haley was calling plays.
Asked why tight end Heath Miller (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3145/heath-miller) didn’t have a single pass thrown his way in the second half, Roethlisberger answered, “I just don’t think we called the right plays to get him the ball.”
And when asked why the Steelers didn’t run more no-huddle offense in the second half, Roethlisberger acknowledged he wished they had done more.
“That’s tough for me to answer right now,” he said. “The second half we didn’t do much of it, and that’s disappointing.”
For the Steelers, there’s a lot to be disappointed about after today’s loss. The good news is that they can still salvage their season and make the playoffs if they win their last two games. The bad news is a feud between Roethlisberger and Haley isn’t the best way to begin a crucial week of work before the Week 16 meeting with the Bengals.

feltdizz
12-17-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm usually the first to bash Ben.. started a thread asking if he is clutch yesterday, lol...

but I agree with Ben on this... the play calling stinks. Haley is trying to play small ball way too much with a QB who is deadly in the 10 to 15 yard range. Is it impossible to run off tackle? What about a sweep? A screen?

It's bubble screens and RUTFM. I'm really starting to miss Arians.

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm usually the first to bash Ben.. started a thread asking if he is clutch yesterday, lol...

but I agree with Ben on this... the play calling stinks. Haley is trying to play small ball way too much with a QB who is deadly in the 10 to 15 yard range. Is it impossible to run off tackle? What about a sweep? A screen?

It's bubble screens and RUTFM. I'm really starting to miss Arians.

It is the EXECUTION of the plays not the plays. Our execution sucks. Just like under Arians the OL's inability to perform at a consistently high standard means it is impossible to evaluate the playcalling because the OL isn't giving the RBs or QB a chance.

phillyesq
12-17-2012, 11:37 AM
I didn't hear the post game quotes, but here is Dale Lolley's take on these comments:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Essentially, he thinks that Ben wasn't throwing all the blame on Haley since he called a lot of the plays in the second half.

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 11:39 AM
I didn't hear the post game quotes, but here is Dale Lolley's take on these comments:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Essentially, he thinks that Ben wasn't throwing all the blame on Haley since he called a lot of the plays in the second half.

Like I said, easy cheap shot to blame the coordinator when fans have no idea what play was called, what the audible was and how poorly it was executed versus the plan.

The problem is execution not plays.

MCHammer
12-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Maybe Miller wouldn't have to stay in and block all the time if this team hadnt ignored the deterioration of its offensive line throughout the Arians era.

phillyesq
12-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Depot. The best source around

Too bad the guy that runs it is a tool. Also too bad that it has almost no original content and instead just turns twitter reports from beat writers into articles.

phillyesq
12-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Maybe Miller wouldn't have to stay in and block all the time if this team hadnt ignored the deterioration of its offensive line throughout the Arians era.

They used 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks on the OL. Hard to say it was ignored.

fezziwig
12-17-2012, 12:09 PM
I like the term small ball and yes, it is too much small ball. Having said that, this small ball has allowed Ben to be sacked less this season as far as I can tell except for yesterdays game. The o-line and their troubles kept our offense with the small ball attack. Ben had some nice passes down field and especially tol Wallace. Wallace also the guy that caught a ball two yards prior to stepping out of bounds without getting his feet down or gaining ball control.

Without getting off topic too much, there is a time and a place for criticism and it isn't to the media. Ben by now has enough credits to approach Tomlin and Haley on his likes and dislikes, he needs to do all this in private and not the media. Ben, wise the heck up.

Keyplay1
12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
It seems like in each and every post it is assumed Ben questioned the play calling. The fact is the writers and many posters [me to] are ----not Ben.

Ben was asked why they didn't do more no huddle stuff in the 2nd half. Was this made up by the reporter or was it a fact. If it was a fact HowTF by simply answering it was Ben questioning Haley? The fans are. Not Ben. The reporter is. Not Ben. Ben simply honestly answered if that is the case then maybe we should have done it more. He inferred that it may have helped win the game and if so he was disappointed.

Same thing about not throwing to Heath Miller in the 2nd half. I bet a big majority of fans did not even notice this. I did not. How does answering that question in any way be taken as Ben criticizing or questioning the OC. He simply answered a question which I guess was factual.

Kovacevic clearly himself does not like Haley or his system or his play calling and possibly Haley himself. That is his business. In his article he flips out about the play calling on the Steelers 1st possession in the second half. So did I? How many others did? He did not ask Ben about that.

The only thing in both of those articles that really is honest and makes sense is:

For the Steelers, there’s a lot to be disappointed about after today’s loss. The good news is that they can still salvage their season and make the playoffs if they win their last two games. The bad news is a feud between Roethlisberger and Haley isn’t the best way to begin a crucial week of work before the Week 16 meeting with the Bengals.

The week before the San Diego game the big story was about Wallace losing focus because of limited use. This was proven to be not true. I agreed with a post that thought that was very untimely and divisive and could prove costly. It did.

I'm only butting in here because even though I might agree with all of the posters I also am aware that the season is now just starting. It is supposed to be a fact if TS win out they are in.

I posted the following a couple of hours ago:

The season starts Sunday. Screw everything else. Unless you are willing to let all this whining and innuendo convince you to scrap the season.

MCHammer
12-17-2012, 12:34 PM
They used 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks on the OL. Hard to say it was ignored.

I'm talking about generally the 2006-2011 timeframe. Until Pouncey in 2010, the line was allowed to atrophy.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM

That was the only weakness on the team when Tomlin inherited the team. Still is. Need to get rid of the oft injured slobs and get some farm boys in there.

JAR
12-17-2012, 01:37 PM
You guy's are reading way too much into what Ben said. He really wan't being critical of Haley.

Steelhere10
12-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Saying the right plays was not called is questioning Haley , point blank. ...

fezziwig
12-17-2012, 02:28 PM

I agree, there is no other way to take that other than it being negative of Haley. Say something to that affect about your wife/girlfriend and it is hell to be paid.

pfelix73
12-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Well, maybe all the Haley bashers will have their way in 2013. The local media were talking coaching positions this morning and 2 interesting points were brought up.

1. Haley may get an interview in Arizona for the HC job and could be the odds on favorite for the position. If so, this could mean Kirby Wilson gets the promotion to OC.

2. Tunch Ilkin's name is being thrown around town as a possible OL coach replacing Kugler. He refused in the past, but his wife just passed away and his children are now grown.

JAR
12-17-2012, 03:02 PM

Who calls the plays when they go no huddle?

Ben blamed himself for this loss,When he was asked why they didn't use Miller more, he said..., "I don't think we called the right plays to get him the ball."

Ben said WE. He didn't say the coaches. He didn't say the offensive coordinator. He said WE.

flippy
12-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, maybe all the Haley bashers will have their way in 2013. The local media were talking coaching positions this morning and 2 interesting points were brought up.

1. Haley may get an interview in Arizona for the HC job and could be the odds on favorite for the position. If so, this could mean Kirby Wilson gets the promotion to OC.

2. Tunch Ilkin's name is being thrown around town as a possible OL coach replacing Kugler. He refused in the past, but his wife just passed away and his children are now grown.

Might as well make Hoge the RB coach in this scenario. And Brister or Kordell the QB coach. And Cedrick Wilson the WR coach. And Sean Morey the ST coach.

winwithd
12-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Maybe if Haley leaves and Whisenhunt is let go by the Cardinals,... Whis as OC again, anyone??

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Maybe if Haley leaves and Whisenhunt is let go by the Cardinals,... Whis as OC again, anyone??

We need a new OL coach too to replace Kugler, who's heading to UTEP to be their head coach. I wonder if Whis knows any OL coaches to come along with him. Hmmm...:p

rockonsteel
12-18-2012, 02:30 AM
Who calls the plays when they go no huddle?

Ben blamed himself for this loss,When he was asked why they didn't use Miller more, he said..., "I don't think we called the right plays to get him the ball."
would impo
Ben said WE. He didn't say the coaches. He didn't say the offensive coordinator. He said WE.

Well, Ben did state that he was disappointed they didn't use more no huddle in the second half. Which, according to your opening line, Ben would be then calling the plays. Which sounds to me like he would rather control the play calling than whatever the OC was dialing up. Hard to read that any other way. And if you're heard/saw the video, it's even more apparent. He was pissed and didn't try to hide it. He was clearly not happy with offensive gameplan/playcalling.

Rockon

supersteeler
12-18-2012, 07:26 AM
With Todd Haley as O.C. we only scored above 30 points 1 time, and that was against the hapless Raiders. Clearly this offense underacheived, however the drops and turnovers killed us this season.

Oviedo
12-18-2012, 08:49 AM
With Todd Haley as O.C. we only scored above 30 points 1 time, and that was against the hapless Raiders. Clearly this offense underacheived, however the drops and turnovers killed us this season.

Player execution is killing us not the play calling. I love the play calling but players need to catch and hold onto the football on offense and the defense actually needs to sack the opposing QB and take the ball away from the other team.

steelfin
12-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I agree that execution is killing us...but I think that play calling has also been extremely questionable...

The one that that really sticks out last week was a 2 and 18 play with about 1:30 to go....Ben lines up behind center with a single back and we go play action....The play goes for no gain...a wasted down...

Not one single person playing in the game, in the stadium or watching on TV thought it was going to be a run....Put Ben in shotgun and let him throw the ball....

It is not a coincidence that the entire AFC west beat us (aside from KC) this year....

Oh yeah, and how come on offense its not the play calling but on defense is always the fault of DL?

DBR96A
12-18-2012, 10:06 AM
The offense has underachieved because of the drops and turnovers, plus the terrible running game. Altogether, this is why the offense has only topped 30 points once. It's not necessarily Todd Haley's fault. Has he called some bad games? Yes. But I'd rather have an offensive coordinator who calls a few bad games per season than one who calls a few good games per season like Bruce Arians.

If the running game was even average, then the scoring output would improve. As it is now, Roethlisberger is the alpha and omega of the offense. The Steelers rank 8th in TD passes, with Roethlisberger throwing all but one of them this season. Conversely, they rank 25th in TD runs, and 19th in average starting field position. Altogether, this puts the weight of the entire offense squarely on Roethlisberger's injured throwing shoulder.

flippy
12-18-2012, 10:20 AM
The offense has underachieved because of the drops and turnovers, plus the terrible running game. Altogether, this is why the offense has only topped 30 points once. It's not necessarily Todd Haley's fault. Has he called some bad games? Yes. But I'd rather have an offensive coordinator who calls a few bad games per season than one who calls a few good games per season like Bruce Arians.

Haley was brought in to run the ball and keep Ben upright. And he seems to be working within those guideline. The only difference between Haley and BA is BA didn't work within those guidelines because he knew we couldn't run block. So it was in this team's best chances to play the percentages and have Ben make throws downfield because that's what we have the best shot of doing successfully.

I think BA and Ben were on the same page and realistic about what it is they're working with. Haley's been asked to square peg round hole this offense. Ben seems a little resistant and not because he's a jerk but he knows what he's working with. But Haley has to force the system. And we haven't yet given him time to get the players he wants to run the system.

DBR96A
12-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Haley was brought in to run the ball and keep Ben upright. And he seems to be working within those guideline. The only difference between Haley and BA is BA didn't work within those guidelines because he knew we couldn't run block. So it was in this team's best chances to play the percentages and have Ben make throws downfield because that's what we have the best shot of doing successfully.

I think BA and Ben were on the same page and realistic about what it is they're working with. Haley's been asked to square peg round hole this offense. Ben seems a little resistant and not because he's a jerk but he knows what he's working with. But Haley has to force the system. And we haven't yet given him time to get the players he wants to run the system.
This is why I've said that Todd Haley's system of offense is a work in progress, because he's had to figure out this season which players are capable of being assets in his system. Roethlisberger is already doing well with it, but the rest of the offense is incomplete. There's youth on the offensive line now; there only needs to be health at this point. Add a strong WR and a tough RB, and all the pieces will be in place.

feltdizz
12-18-2012, 10:36 AM
If its player execution it's still falls on Haley. Obviously he isn't put the best players in the best position to execute...

I'm not watching these plays and being wowed by their design even though they aren't being executed. I haven't seen one running play that made me go "damn, Haley dialed up a winner"

ikestops85
12-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Put me down as being in favor of Haley's offense. I think before Ben got hurt this offense was just starting to gel. We were controlling the ball for large blocks of time, the running game was revving up, and we were starting to score touchdowns instead of FGs. The play action passes were starting to work and I thought we could start to hit some of the deep routes off of it.

Then Ben got hurt and things went to crap. The defenses were stacked against the run game and our backup QBs were either rusty or hurt or both. We also lose a couple of linemen in that span. Then Ben comes back and he is rusty. He starts missing key short passes that had been converting 3rd downs for us but now we punt.

I think a few things need to happen on the offensive side:

1) Ben needs to regain his sharpness
2) Our skill players need to hold on to the frickin ball ... whether its via the run, pass or return.
3) Tomlin needs to smarten these guys up and get this team disciplined. I can't believe the mistakes this team is making.

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Big Ben sounds unhappy with Haley's calls

December, 17, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

After throwing the game-changing interception in the 27-24 overtime loss in Dallas, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger accepted responsibility for the team's fourth loss in five games. "Absolutely, 100 percent, this is on me," he said.

Well, if you listen to Roethlisberger's comments that followed, he doesn't think he's totally at fault. He hinted that some of the blame should fall on offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Roethlisberger was asked why tight end Heath Miller didn't have one pass thrown his way in the second half after catching six passes for 85 yards and one touchdown in the first half. “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball," Roethlisberger said.

He then received a question about the lack of the no-huddle. After pausing for a few seconds, Roethlisberger said, "That‘s tough for me to answer right now. In the second half, we really didn‘t do much of it and that‘s disappointing.”

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Dejan Kovacevic called this "a 100-percent legitimate, non-manufactured quarterback vs. coordinator controversy."

I wouldn't go that far. I wouldn't call this a controversy or a feud yet. These comments are candid but not overly critical. He questions the play calling but doesn't really call out Haley. Roethlisberger clearly sounds unhappy, and it's true he never made the same type of remarks about his friend Bruce Arians. (Side note: Arians has the Colts sitting two games ahead of Pittsburgh and the Indianapolis offense ranked in the top 10.) But Roethlisberger should be unhappy. The Steelers are 7-7 and out of the playoffs if the regular season ended today.

Now, you might be wondering why Roethlisberger is questioning the play calling after he threw for 339 yards and two touchdowns. That's because Roethlisberger looked like the old Roethlisberger in Dallas. He was escaping pressure and spinning away from rushers before chucking the ball deep downfield. That's what happened when he hit Miller for a 30-yard touchdown at the end of the first half.

What Roethlisberger and the Steelers really need to ask themselves is whether they can get back on track. Despite all of the struggles lately, Pittsburgh can still make the playoffs by winning its final two games -- home games against the Bengals and Browns. This won't happen if the disconnect between Roethlisberger and Haley becomes a bigger issue.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/61483/big-ben-sounds-unhappy-with-haleys-calls

supersteeler
12-19-2012, 07:34 AM

I'm not blaming Haley for the issues we have on offense, just pointing out he has the responsibility to make adjustments when our offense is underachieving. The drops, turnovers, execution, and lack of a run game hurt us as some pointed out here. IMHO, I feel we have the talent especially at the receiver positions and tight ends. Ben is a top tier QB and if you noticed even the FB is making plays for us.
It's difficult to get any continuity when your shuffling the OL, and our backs with injuries that hampered the run game, but we can't use that as an excuse for sub par play.
Personally, I would rather have one feature back and keep him in more instead of changing up with the three back system. If we are to use that system why is Rainey not utilized in the screen plays where he could do some damage to defenses with his speed? Why don't we try running outside for a change especially with Mendy who had great runs in the past running outside?
Obviously there is a combination of factors why we are playing sub par in the offense department, but IMO there is no reason why we shoudn't be scoring 24 to 27 points every game with the talent we have.
Our Steelers have a shot to correct these issues on offense this weekend, they will have the fans behind them, but we are tired of the lab talk, the lab is closed, time to execute like we are capable of.

Slapstick
12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Obviously there is a combination of factors why we are playing sub par in the offense department, but IMO there is no reason why we shoudn't be scoring 24 to 27 points every game with the talent we have.

Except the propensity to turn the ball over to the opponent. I'm fairly sure that isn't in the game plan...

flippy
12-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Haley should call out Ben's QBing.

Sword
12-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Who cares who calls out who they make crazy money compared to most people...

pfelix73
12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Roethlisberger was asked why tight end Heath Miller didn't have one pass thrown his way in the second half after catching six passes for 85 yards and one touchdown in the first half. “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball," Roethlisberger said.

According to Ed Buchette, they had 9 calls in the 2nd half alone for Heath as the primary receiver. He just wasn't open. Ben states- 'right plays' not 'no plays'. Obviously, Dallas made some adjustments defensively to take Miller out of the game.

flippy
12-19-2012, 11:20 AM

According to Ed Buchette, they had 9 calls in the 2nd half alone for Heath as the primary receiver. He just wasn't open. Ben states- 'right plays' not 'no plays'. Obviously, Dallas made some adjustments defensively to take Miller out of the game.

Heath being covered hasn't stopped Ben from throwing to him in the past.

DBR96A
12-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Which meant the WRs had to be relied upon more, and apparently they weren't up to the task. Expect the Bengals to try to neutralize Miller as well, which means the WRs better be ready to play their best game of the season.

Eich
12-19-2012, 11:34 AM
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Dejan Kovacevic called this "a 100-percent legitimate, non-manufactured quarterback vs. coordinator controversy."

Heath was LESS involved in the game under BA than under Haley. No-huddle? I don't see Haley using it any less than BA. How many times did we hear Ben and others wishing they used more no-huddle under BA?

Any tension between Ben and the coaches is more due to their win/loss record than any actual controversy.

I don't care who called what play in Dallas, that last pick that Ben threw was on him alone. Horrible decision. It happens. But the problem with this year's Steelers is that everyone is taking turns making some horrible decision or some horrible mistake at the exact wrong time, leading to 7 losses.

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Ben Roethlisberger apologized to Steelers for his remarks

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
December 19, 2012

PITTSBURGH -- Don't expect fireworks between Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Todd Haley for postgame remarks Roethlisberger made following last Sunday's 27-24 overtime loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

Roethlisberger was critical of the offensive play-calling and deployment but said he made a point of apologizing to Haley on Monday morning after also telling coach Mike Tomlin and Steelers President Art Rooney II that he was sorry.

It was the second time this season Roethlisberger's remarks were interpreted as criticisms of Haley's play-calling.

"There won't be any rift,'' Roethlisberger told USA TODAY Sports before practice Wednesday. "Everything is fine. I don't even think Todd was upset with it. He said, 'I appreciate you coming. But I don't think you needed to.' We're good to go.

"That was just frustration, which normally doesn't get to me when speaking publicly. It was more frustration with myself than anything. We spoke on Monday. I wanted to make sure I was going to come in and apologize for causing an issue to Mike Tomlin, to Todd and Mr. (Art) Rooney."

Roethlisberger blamed it on his game-costing interception.

"One play," he said, "can ruin your day.''

Roethlisberger threw a sideline pass to receiver Mike Wallace, but cornerback Brandon Carr intercepted the pass and returned it 36 yards to the Pittsburgh 1-yard line to set up Dan Bailey's winning field goal.

When asked about Roethlisberger's comments, Tomlin called it "frustration'' during his Tuesday news conference. Roethlisberger had questioned whether enough plays were called for tight end Heath Miller and whether the Steelers should have run more no-huddle based on their early success with it.

"I let my frustrations jump out after the game and I don't usually do that,'' Roethlisberger told news reporters earlier. "Usually, I keep it under control. It's just frustration with myself. I'll be better at that. It comes from wanting to do anything to win a football game. I shouldn't have come out. It was my fault.''

Roethlisberger is 0-2 since returning from a sprained throwing shoulder and dislocated rib, injuries that kept him out for three games. The Steelers (7-7) host the Cincinnati Bengals (8-6) on Sunday at Heinz Field in a game critical to both teams' playoff hopes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/12/19/steelers-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-apologized-to-offensive-coordinator-todd-haley/1780033/

raycafan
12-20-2012, 12:29 AM
I have liked what i have seen from Haleys O, he at least keeps me guessing. Arians never had that affect. Haley I think through the early part of season was trying to see where everyone fit into the scheme of the O. But with the constant change of personnel its nearly impossible to establish what you want from who you want. I have thought that Rainey needs to be in there as a threat out of the back field. I will tell you the one play I liked the most this year that just really stands out, mainly because it was against the Ravens, is the one where Rainey came in (I think it was his only O play all game) he lined up on the right side of Batch then went to the flat like a swing pass, but blockers pulled out for a screen like play. But they were just a diversion, Heath was waiting for all to go outside then released up field for a quick pass then ran for about 19 or so yards on a 3rd and long. This type of play calling would never been here the last 5 years, it would of been send all the receivers 10 to 15 + yards downfield and hopefully get the pass off before Ben gets crushed. I think Haley is trying to find the right combo to get it done.

hawaiiansteel
12-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Roethlisberger's criticism doesn't faze Haley

December 21, 2012
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/355/878/haleyjpg_420.jpg

Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, throwing passes at practice Wednesday, was not upset with Ben Roethlisberger's criticism after the loss Sunday at Dallas.

Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley said he and Ben Roethlisberger are on the same page "as much as a quarterback and coordinator can be." Haley brushed aside the critical remarks Roethlisberger made after a loss Sunday against Dallas at Cowboys Stadium, and, later in the same 10-minute interview sessions with reporters Thursday afternoon, complemented his quarterback by referring to him as "elite."

There is no controversy from Haley's perspective after Roethlisberger questioned his play-calling and use of tight end Heath Miller in the second half of a Steelers 27-24 overtime loss.

"That was an emotional game," Haley said. "Whatever was said can't be taken too much to the heart because that's the way this game is. Guys will get into it in locker rooms, in the building, on the practice field. It's the mindset you get into when you're getting ready to compete and coach a big game. There's emotion involved. I wouldn't really pay much attention to anything that's said in an emotional state of mind."

Haley is no stranger to conflict. When he was the offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals he got into a heated sideline argument with Anquan Boldin in the 2009 NFC championship. If not for a last-minute drive engineered by Roethlisberger in Super Bowl XLIII, Haley and Boldin would have won a championship together.

"I think healthy conflict, discussion, banter is good because it gets you to the right place and gets everyone on the same page and where you need to be," Haley said.

"Like I've said a number of times, when I make a call into Ben's ear in the game I'm putting complete faith in him to make it the best call it can be. The same goes for him.

"When he hears my voice, he has to trust and believe that the play coming is giving us the best chance to succeed. You develop that in these Sunday battles against other teams. That's where it develops with the trust and camaraderie. That's what's occurred. There will be ups and downs because there's emotion and a lot at stake every week. We put a lot of time, effort and sacrifice into this. I think a little bit of healthy conflict is a good thing."

Roethlisberger is having one of his better statistical seasons under Haley's direction. He has thrown 22 touchdowns and only six interceptions. The touchdown total is his third highest in a season. He threw 26 in 2009 and 32 in 2007.

Roethlisberger's career-low for interceptions was five in 2010, when he was suspended for the first four games of the season. Haley was not taking any solace in those statistics.

"What we're about is win-loss," Haley said. "That's how you're measured. How many wins do you have? Are you in the playoffs? We're shooting for that game in New Orleans. That's our only goal.

"That's the great thing about here in Pittsburgh. The expectations are truly what we say they are. It's Super Bowl or bust. That's the focus. Win these big games you have to win to get into the tournament and then obviously win those. Numbers and all that stuff are not important to me. It's important what the final score says at the end of the day.

"It's not having the highest-rated quarterback or most rushing yards or the highest-rated receivers. It's to win games."

And Haley believes Roethlisberger gives the Steelers a great chance to do that the next two games and get into the playoffs.

"The great thing is whether there's a media fire storm or not, you need a really good quarterback to win in this league," he said. "We happen to have, in my opinion, an elite quarterback. You're talking about a player that is a really, really good player at his position, and he's the quarterback. That gives you a chance to win each and every week."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/roethlisbergers-criticism-doesnt-faze-haley-667250/#ixzz2FnzIPgG7