PDA

View Full Version : could Decastro be the best player

toddjammin
12-16-2012, 12:53 PM
On our o line today?

Oviedo
12-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Hardly. Pouncey is clearly that player and has proved it over three season. Starks is also grossly underappreciated playing the toughest position on the OL and doing well week in and week out.

Let's see if DeCastro actually does anything today before we reserve his place in the HoF. I do think he will be a key building block to our OL future but we are still another Guard and future LT away from the OL we really need.

toddjammin
12-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Agree. I'm hoping Mike Adams could improve his pass
Blocking to be our LT next year. Disagree about
needing another guard unless its for depth. I think
Foster has done a good job at Guard

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Yeah, but Foster's an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Since cutting Colon would create the type of dead money that the team would prefer to avoid (particularly when we are in such dire straits with the cap to begin with), they will likely have to keep Colon at LG next year, use DeCastro at RG next year, let Foster sign elsewhere this offseason (even though we may not like it, we have other more vital guys to try to re-sign), with Beachum as the Trai Essex like utility backup.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-16-2012, 04:51 PM
any money spent on colon going forward is a waste.

I would take the cap hit asap and get out of jail with this guy already.

SidSmythe
12-16-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't recall STARKS giving up a sack this year. I'm sure he has but I just don't remember him getting beat bad.

ramblinjim
12-16-2012, 08:51 PM
I got to watch the 4th Quarter and the O-line, including DeCastro and Pouncey were just God Awful. Like, fire the coach God-Awful.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, on the bright side, we should have the draft position to get a good OL player.

Shawn
12-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Hardly. Pouncey is clearly that player and has proved it over three season. Starks is also grossly underappreciated playing the toughest position on the OL and doing well week in and week out.

Let's see if DeCastro actually does anything today before we reserve his place in the HoF. I do think he will be a key building block to our OL future but we are still another Guard and future LT away from the OL we really need.

Actually Pouncey had two games in a row before today where he played very poorly.

Shawn
12-16-2012, 08:58 PM

Keep hoping on Adams and his pass protection.

Shawn
12-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah, but Foster's an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Since cutting Colon would create the type of dead money that the team would prefer to avoid (particularly when we are in such dire straits with the cap to begin with), they will likely have to keep Colon at LG next year, use DeCastro at RG next year, let Foster sign elsewhere this offseason (even though we may not like it, we have other more vital guys to try to re-sign), with Beachum as the Trai Essex like utility backup.

Foster has been the most consistent OLman this season. I don't see the Steelers letting him walk.

feltdizz
12-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Decastro was horrible today. I think he fell for a reason. Hopefully its first game jitters because he looked bad. Really had

squidkid
12-16-2012, 09:31 PM
decastro got owned today

pfelix73
12-16-2012, 09:34 PM
You can forget about high draft picks for OL now. We still need more playmakers on defense. Gotta use the high picks for DB's, or another LB...

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 09:33 AM
You can forget about high draft picks for OL now. We still need more playmakers on defense. Gotta use the high picks for DB's, or another LB...

I would agree except this team is and will still be all about Ben. No Ben=no chance. He needs protected and he still isn't getting that. If not for his repeated Houdini acts yesterday we would have been blown out.

steelblood
12-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Actually Pouncey had two games in a row before today where he played very poorly.

Yes, I completely agree. Pouncey has had an up and down season at best.

IMHO, Starks has been our most valuable and most consistent lineman by a mile. No, he is not highly talented, but he makes the most of what he has at the most difficult position. Starks is a gem of a person and a fantastic Steeler. Foster may be our second best linemen this season.

Beachum, Adams, and Gilbert as our tackles will get Ben killed next season. IMHO, we either resign Starks or draft a pass protecting OT in the first few rounds if we want Ben to have a chance at playing every game.

fezziwig
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
The entire line stunk but, I didn't pay a lot of attention to Starks so I don't know if I can include him in that. In any event, I saw Foster get kicked around just ike everyone to the left of him.

phillyesq
12-17-2012, 10:12 AM
I think he fell for a reason. Hopefully its first game jitters because he looked bad. Really had

I'm going to give "Bustcastro" more than one game. I did not notice him early in the game, which I take as a positive.

feltdizz
12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I'll give Decastro a season or 2... but I found it funny he was predicted to be the best on this OL in his first game. IMO this OL is better when Legursky is at Center and Pouncey is at guard. Not sure if it's possible to make that switch with Decastro in but I would prefer Legs at C and Pouncey and Decastro at G's

flippy
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Double D's saggin.
He needs a boost to lift and
Gain more confidence.

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 11:29 AM
I'll give Decastro a season or 2... but I found it funny he was predicted to be the best on this OL in his first game. IMO this OL is better when Legursky is at Center and Pouncey is at guard. Not sure if it's possible to make that switch with Decastro in but I would prefer Legs at C and Pouncey and Decastro at G's

Starks was the best O-Lineman yesterday. Not even close. That is why he needs to stay for another two years.

phillyesq
12-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Starks was the best O-Lineman yesterday. Not even close. That is why he needs to stay for another two years.

Agree completely.

fezziwig
12-17-2012, 11:56 AM
I forget what Pittsburgh writer said this but he said, " Tomlin doesn't like Starks. " He eluded to it was Max personalitythat he doesn't like and it's been difficult for Tomlin to even have him on the team. It was either Bouchett or Cooky or one of the regulars we listen to or read their columns.

phillyesq
12-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I forget what Pittsburgh writer said this but he said, " Tomlin doesn't like Starks. " He eluded to it was Max personalitythat he doesn't like and it's been difficult for Tomlin to even have him on the team. It was either Bouchett or Cooky or one of the regulars we listen to or read their columns.

I remember that there was a discussion of somebody on the coaching staff not liking starks, but I thought that it was BA, not Tomlin.

Oviedo
12-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I remember that there was a discussion of somebody on the coaching staff not liking starks, but I thought that it was BA, not Tomlin.

I've always heard Arians referenced not Tomlin.

fezziwig
12-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Maybe it was Arians but I thought they said Tomlin. I take it you guys don't know why Arians then didn't care for Starks ? Maybe Arians wasn't happy that Max was protecting Ben ? Arians had no trouble not adjusting the offensive play calling when Ben was in trouble or the o-line was being out matched.
I always thought Max did a good job, had a nice personality and carried himself well and was well spoken.

BigRob
12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
You guys are phuckin D***s.

The guy has major knee injury, fights back from it, practices for a few weeks, and gets thrown into the fire. Then he sucks and is a bust?

You guys are plain phuckin D***s.

Ghost
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm going to give "Bustcastro" more than one game. I did not notice him early in the game, which I take as a positive.

That's DeBustro. Get it right! ;-)

Ghost
12-17-2012, 01:46 PM
You guys are phuckin D***s.

The guy has major knee injury, fights back from it, practices for a few weeks, and gets thrown into the fire. Then he sucks and is a bust?

You guys are plain phuckin D***s.

Victorian > DeCastro....

flippy
12-17-2012, 02:27 PM
I've always heard Arians referenced not Tomlin.

I thought it was Tomlin, but he's gotten over it by now.

I think it had something to do with Colbert tagging Max when Tomlin didn't want him. Despite the tag, Tomlin allowed Colon to beat him out and take his spot at RT. Essentially Tomlin was benching the 2nd highest paid player on the team.

I never understood the beef. Was it a Tomlin/Colbert power struggle? Did Max tell them he'd negotiate a long term deal and not sign the 1 year contract? Did Tomlin just think he was a lazy oaf back then? Or was Tomlin just a bad judge of OLine talent - Tomlin was the one that liked Sean Mahan.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2012, 08:20 PM
• Right guard David DeCastro , making his NFL starting debut, and right tackle Kelvin Beachum were praised for holding up well in the first game they played alongside each other. “That‘s what‘s disappointing to me, to let guys down that played so well,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3147136-74/steelers-game-backups#ixzz2FM0McleT

BradshawsHairdresser
12-17-2012, 08:25 PM
I thought it was Tomlin, but he's gotten over it by now.

I think it had something to do with Colbert tagging Max when Tomlin didn't want him. Despite the tag, Tomlin allowed Colon to beat him out and take his spot at RT. Essentially Tomlin was benching the 2nd highest paid player on the team.

I never understood the beef. Was it a Tomlin/Colbert power struggle? Did Max tell them he'd negotiate a long term deal and not sign the 1 year contract? Did Tomlin just think he was a lazy oaf back then? Or was Tomlin just a bad judge of OLine talent - Tomlin was the one that liked Sean Mahan.

Don't know about a Tomlin/Colbert struggle over Starks, but I'm glad Max is here...he's the best OL we've had this season.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Don't know about a Tomlin/Colbert struggle over Starks, but I'm glad Max is here...he's the best OL we've had this season.

agreed, although Starks still doesn't rate that highly among OTs:

"At left tackle Max Starks has allowed four sacks, five hits, and 31 hurries from 523 snaps as a pass blocker, giving him a PBE Rating of 94.1; 39th among all offensive tackles."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/14/3tfo-steelers-cowboys-week-15/

BigRob
12-17-2012, 08:58 PM
agreed, although Starks still doesn't rate that highly among OTs:

"At left tackle Max Starks has allowed four sacks, five hits, and 31 hurries from 523 snaps as a pass blocker, giving him a PBE Rating of 94.1; 39th among all offensive tackles."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/14/3tfo-steelers-cowboys-week-15/

Puts him in the middle of the pack as far as tackles go. I guess that shows how far we've come that we are elated with average play.

BigRob
12-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Decastro acquitted himself very well for his first game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/18/refo-steelers-cowboys-week-15/

First Glimpse at DeCastro
It’s been a long time coming but we finally got a good look at one of the most hyped guard prospects in years. David DeCastro played all 62 snaps for the Steelers in this game and played well for the most part. Though he did give up a sack, it was the lone play of pressure all game despite 45 snaps being asked to pass protect. He formed a formidable pairing with C Maurkice Pouncey as the oft overrated center gave up just a lone hurry all game. The pair was also impressive run blocking, getting to the second level and moving players away from the point of attack, generating some creases for the Steelers running backs.

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2012, 02:40 PM
• Right guard David DeCastro got a lot of action in his first NFL start as he set up in pass protection on 45 of 62 snaps in Dallas. He didn‘t miss an offensive snap. DeCastro and right tackle Kelvin Beachum formed the right side of the offensive line despite having only two prior NFL starts between them, both by Beachum. “Both are sharp, intelligent young men that did a nice job of communicating,” coach Mike Tomlin said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3147357-74/colon-game-season?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29#ixzz2FWKtPCsc

lloydroid
12-19-2012, 02:52 PM

If that's true, Tomlin is an idiot. But seeing how they always take so long to bring him back, I could believe it. I think Starks is a gentle giant. But not so gentle that he can't make for a pretty darn good OT. You like dudes who bring the nasty, but sometimes you have to settle for guys who might not be mean, but are just physically great instead. I will take a Max Starks for my LT any day. He might not be as good as Tony Boselli in his prime, but he is better than any other OT we have had for many years. Not every single O lineman is going to be a nasty son of a biotch. But you do like to have at least a few of them that way. I'd rather have a kind of mellow Starks than a nasty Colon, who is too fat to move and always gets hurt. Tell me Starks isn't 10 times the lineman that the ever-injured Colon is.

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/tony_boselli_2000_09_03.jpg

feltdizz
12-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Decastro acquitted himself very well for his first game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/18/refo-steelers-cowboys-week-15/

Maurkice Pouncey as the oft overrated center

Pouncey is over rated?

BigRob
12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Maurkice Pouncey as the oft overrated center

Pouncey is over rated?

Pro football focus rates his brother and a few others better than him. I think Mack and Mangold to name a few.

Oviedo
12-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Pro football focus rates his brother and a few others better than him. I think Mack and Mangold to name a few.

Mack and Mangold aren't playing with the limited players on either side of them that Pouncey plays with.

BigRob
12-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Mack and Mangold aren't playing with the limited players on either side of them that Pouncey plays with.

I agree, hence why he looked so much better with Destro playing next to him.

I am excited to see what Destro can do after a full off-season of preparation and getting healthy.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-19-2012, 05:29 PM
I just re-watched the cincy game and I hope Decastro brings his A game.

he is going to see a healthy dose of geno atkins this week. They lined him up over RG 75% of the time.

BigRob
12-19-2012, 05:42 PM
I just re-watched the cincy game and I hope Decastro brings his A game.

he is going to see a healthy dose of geno atkins this week. They lined him up over RG 75% of the time.]

Should be a fantastic measuring stick game for Destro.

However, I don't think we should get too down on him if he doesn't dominate. Geno Atkins is easily the best 4-3 DT in the game and a candidate for DPOY.

Destro is a competitor that brings a lot of fire to the game. Should be a feisty match-up.

I have a feeling Destro will be a major leader of this team starting next year.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-19-2012, 05:54 PM
to hell with dominating, I will be very happy if Decastro can hold his own. Like you said atkins is a fantastic player.

this game is all on the OL. The bumgals excel at getting pressure with a 4 man rush. If we can protect, we win.