PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's replacement

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 06:26 PM
With the Steeler PLAYERS saying things like, "We weren't prepared to play" and the trend of losing so many games to the very worst teams, so often (let's not forget 2009 as well) the writing could be on the wall for firing Tomlin.

So, who would replace him?

1. Todd Haley. He didn't have such a good run as head coach in KC, but let's not forget that the amazing Bill Belichick didn't have such a successful first gig in Cleveland either. Now look at BB - inarguably the best head coach in the NFL, and one of the best EVER in the history, if not THE best ever. So, Haley could still be good head coach material. And, I don't mind that he gets ticked off sometimes. As a matter of fact, I LIKE it.

2. Eric Mangini. A Belichick prodigy and see above. No one was going to be successful coaching the Browns - the entire organization was a joke. Now, with their new owner and giving Holmgren the boot, they might be improving. But EM had no chance to make them a good team in that environment. EM is going to get another shot at some point. And I really like him on "First Take" - he is very intelligent and wise. He could be a big improvement over the mess we have now, where obviously, the players are not focused and not giving their best effort.

3. Chip Kelly. Yes, some college coaches do not make a successful transaction into the NFL, but then again, some do. Jimmy Johnson went from college to pro and did a fantastic job as head coach in Dallas. Pete Carrol currently has Seattle on the right track. Chip shows all the signs of being a good NFL coach. He would runs circle around Tomlin, as most coaches actually do.

4. John Gruden. Chucky has been out for a while and he is chomping at the bit to get back into action. He already has one Super Bowl ring to show his metal. This team needs a fresh start and Chucky would provide it. It is obvious he knows his football when you listen to him on Monday Night Football and in his sit downs with the rookies, especially with the QBs. I can just see images of Chucky roaming the sidelines at Heinz Field with that scowl on his face. No way does the team come out and lay an egg with that kind of head coach out there. In other words, losses to SD, Oak., Cleveland and TN just ain't happening with that guy in Pgh.

There are some very quality upgrades out there, just there for the taking. I can't stomach this team coming into games, according to the players, "Not prepared to play the game." The s--t ends NOW.

flippy
12-13-2012, 06:28 PM
I'd take EM as the successor to Lebeau when he retires. I think he's actually done a nice job in NY and Cleveland in terms of building defenses.

Slapstick
12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
With the Steeler PLAYERS saying things like, "We weren't prepared to play"

...I would say, "You're a freaking professional who makes hundres of thousands of dollars, if not millions!! Freaking PREPARE!!!!"

LordVile
12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
With the Steeler PLAYERS saying things like, "We weren't prepared to play" and the trend of losing so many games to the very worst teams, so often (let's not forget 2009 as well) the writing could be on the wall for firing Tomlin.

1. Todd Haley. He didn't have such a good run as head coach in KC, but let's not forget that the amazing Bill Belichick didn't have such a successful first gig in Cleveland either. Now look at BB - inarguably the best head coach in the NFL, and one of the best EVER in the history, if not THE best ever. So, Haley could still be good head coach material. And, I don't mind that he gets ticked off sometimes. As a matter of fact, I LIKE it.

2. Eric Mangini. A Belichick prodigy and see above. No one was going to be successful coaching the Browns - the entire organization was a joke. Now, with their new owner and giving Holmgren the boot, they might be improving. But EM had no chance to make them a good team in that environment. EM is going to get another shot at some point. And I really like him on "First Take" - he is very intelligent and wise. He could be a big improvement over the mess we have now, where obviously, the players are not focused and not giving their best effort.

3. Chip Kelly. Yes, some college coaches do not make a successful transaction into the NFL, but then again, some do. Jimmy Johnson went from college to pro and did a fantastic job as head coach in Dallas. Pete Carrol currently has Seattle on the right track. Chip shows all the signs of being a good NFL coach. He would runs circle around Tomlin, as most coaches actually do.

4. John Gruden. Chucky has been out for a while and he is chomping at the bit to get back into action. He already has one Super Bowl ring to show his metal. This team needs a fresh start and Chucky would provide it. It is obvious he knows his football when you listen to him on Monday Night Football and in his sit downs with the rookies, especially with the QBs. I can just see images of Chucky roaming the sidelines at Heinz Field with that scowl on his face. No way does the team come out and lay an egg with that kind of head coach out there. In other words, losses to SD, Oak., Cleveland and TN just ain't happening with that guy in Pgh.

There are some very quality upgrades out there, just there for the taking. I can't stomach this team coming into games, according to the players, "Not prepared to play the game." The s--t ends NOW.

all of these coaches are no better than TOMLIN.. these players should be self motivated.. they get paid well enough... KNOLL never had to be a cheerleader.. how bout we see Tomlin have 3 losing seasons in a row and lose the AFCC a few times, yeah? Because Dwyer isn't performing, you've ran out of topics i See..

focosteeler
12-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Unreal, I cant believe that you think Tomlin will be let go. These guys are pros. They have to be responsible to prepare themselves it is their job. Tomlin can only do so much when it comes to grown men preparing for their jobs.

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 06:59 PM
all of these coaches are no better than TOMLIN..

At the very least, ALL of those coaches make better game day decisions than the "Aloof Spoof" who makes God awful decisions all the time. Now we have players admitting they were not prepared to play. Whose job would that be, anyway? Who is in charge of preparing the team and making them ready to play? I wonder.

these players should be self motivated.. they get paid well enough...

It doesn't matter how well you are paid, over 90% of human beings need motivated and managed. It's been true throughout human history. It's no different in football. Why would it be? Ever manage a staff of people? Would they do the same amount and quality of work if you didn't "manage" them? "Coach" them? Of course not. It's unrealistic to just claim, "Players are paid well, they should prepare themselves." It smacks against human nature. The vast majority of people need a manager or they slack off. It's a pure fact.

KNOLL never had to be a cheerleader..

Do you mean the "grassy knoll" of JFK assassination fame? Chuck NOLL never was a cheerleader, as he let his actions speak for him. If you didn't give full effort and focus, he simply benched and/or cut you; there wasn't anything to cheer lead - players were well aware of what happened if they slacked off. Actions speak louder than words any how. Obviously, the current players don't fear Tomlin or they wouldn't mail it in on so many games vs. weak opponents.

how bout we see Tomlin have 3 losing seasons in a row and lose the AFCC a few times, yeah? Because Dwyer isn't performing, you've ran out of topics i See.

I feel to grasp what you are attempting to convey.

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Unreal, I cant believe that you think Tomlin will be let go. These guys are pros. They have to be responsible to prepare themselves it is their job. Tomlin can only do so much when it comes to grown men preparing for their jobs.

Completely untrue. Over 90% of all humans need managed to get them to maximum production. If not, why do managers and coaches even exist. Have you ever managed a staff? What would happen if you quit managing them? Would they continue to provide the same level and quality of work? Of course not. All this talk of "players should prepare themselves" is pure fiction. It smacks against all human history. It's akin to saying water is made out of fire. Head coaches make a difference, and had they not, why do we bother to keep the win-loss records of head coaches? Because it matters, and if a team is coming in not prepared to play, it is major FAIL by the head coach, period. I don't know what fantasy land you guys live in.

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
...I would say, "You're a freaking professional who makes hundres of thousands of dollars, if not millions!! Freaking PREPARE!!!!"

Unrealistic when viewed in terms of the history of mankind.

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 07:06 PM
I'd take EM as the successor to Lebeau when he retires. I think he's actually done a nice job in NY and Cleveland in terms of building defenses.

I agree with you, but my guess is he won't settle to return as a DC. He would probably just keep his ESPN gig if he doesn't get a head coaching job. But who knows. Maybe he is finding he has to go back to a coordinator job in order to get another HC gig.

Steel Life
12-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Really? You obviously have chosen to ignore how Rooneys operate...stop trying to create controversy - or a topic.

focosteeler
12-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Completely untrue. Over 90% of all humans need managed to get them to maximum production. If not, why do managers and coaches even exist. Have you ever managed a staff? What would happen if you quit managing them? Would they continue to provide the same level and quality of work? Of course not. All this talk of "players should prepare themselves" is pure fiction. It smacks against all human history. It's akin to saying water is made out of fire. Head coaches make a difference, and had they not, why do we bother to keep the win-loss records of head coaches? Because it matters, and if a team is coming in not prepared to play, it is major FAIL by the head coach, period. I don't know what fantasy land you guys live in.

There are around 2,000 NFL players out of the 300,000,000 people in the United States. That is well within the 10% that dont need to be managed even if you add all the other pro sports in this country. Part of the point of being a professional is that you have the intrinsic motivation to prepare yourself. When you are an adult you shouldnt need someone there telling you to do things. Add into that the millions of dollars these guys get paid, plus the bonus' for performance. that should be enough

A head coach in pro sports is there to make team decisions, prepare game plans so the players can PREPARE TO PLAY. If each guy shows up and does his job they will win. Tomlin shouldnt have to sit there and baby these guys to make sure they do what they are getting paid to do.

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Really? You obviously have chosen to ignore how Rooneys operate...stop trying to create controversy - or a topic.

Rooneys were lucky in hiring Noll and Cowher. That doesn't mean they got lucky with this hire. If the players really were "not prepared to play" then they got to get a new coach. Period. End of story. And Tomlin's game day decisions have been God awful. Can't allow that to continue. A change must be made.

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 07:46 PM
There are around 2,000 NFL players out of the 300,000,000 people in the United States. That is well within the 10% that dont need to be managed even if you add all the other pro sports in this country. Part of the point of being a professional is that you have the intrinsic motivation to prepare yourself. When you are an adult you shouldnt need someone there telling you to do things. Add into that the millions of dollars these guys get paid, plus the bonus' for performance. that should be enough

A head coach in pro sports is there to make team decisions, prepare game plans so the players can PREPARE TO PLAY. If each guy shows up and does his job they will win. Tomlin shouldnt have to sit there and baby these guys to make sure they do what they are getting paid to do.

This is a naive take. So, somehow, football players are different than all of human beings, in terms of needing to be managed for maximum production? This is a whacked out claim.

BigRob
12-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Rooneys were lucky in hiring Noll and Cowher. That doesn't mean they got lucky with this hire. If the players really were "not prepared to play" then they got to get a new coach. Period. End of story. And Tomlin's game day decisions have been God awful. Can't allow that to continue. A change must be made.

Are you saying that Tomlin was the coach players wanted to play for most in the NFL because he lets them off easy? That is really validated by his two Superbowl appearances.

Aren't you supposed to be in school today? Is it a snow day?

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Are you saying that Tomlin was the coach players wanted to play for most in the NFL because he lets them off easy? That is really validated by his two Superbowl appearances.

Aren't you supposed to be in school today? Is it a snow day?

Attempted 3rd-grade level ridicule so noted. Tomlin walked into a situation where he had veteran player leadership; the players were the enforcers. Now, as he loses those leaders, one by one (Hines, Aaron Smith, Farrior, Hoke), his weaknesses are rearing their ugly heads. His poor game day decisions are becoming glaring and formidable. And, now, in addition to those foibles, he is getting exposed for poor preparation, by his very own players.

Slapstick
12-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Unrealistic when viewed in terms of the history of mankind.

That was neither the question nor the point...

However, it is just as unrealistic to view these men who are paid a king's ransom to play a child's game as incapable of self-actuating...

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 08:04 PM
That was neither the question nor the point...

However, it is just as unrealistic to view these men who are paid a king's ransom to play a child's game as incapable of self-actuating...

What about salespeople who make a ton of change? Why do they still need sales managers? Football players are just people too. All the same human nature rules apply. Wake up, please. Be well.

Slapstick
12-13-2012, 08:09 PM
What about salespeople who make a ton of change? Why do they still need sales managers? Football players are just people too. All the same human nature rules apply. Wake up, please. Be well.

Please. Have you every actually worked in sales? Or with commissioned sales reps?

Sales Managers act as, pardon the expression, coaches. The managers set goals and offer advice and help, but the sales people are the ones who have to get up every morning and carry the bag...

"Wake up" indeed. If you are awake than I must have insomnia...

focosteeler
12-13-2012, 08:12 PM
This is a naive take. So, somehow, football players are different than all of human beings, in terms of needing to be managed for maximum production? This is a whacked out claim.

It is ridiculous that you think professional athletes need to be managed to the point that a coach needs to help motivate them to play and prepare for what they get paid to do. A coach can help motivate and help prepare at the lower levels in high school and college when they have school first and sports is second. But a professional athlete has a job to do, the one they get paid for. A coach should not have to be responsible for them mentally showing up and preparing for their job.
And yes I do believe that PROFESSIONAL football players are different, they can have position coaches that teach technique and knowledge but the rest, preparation and motivation rests solely with the player.

BigRob
12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Attempted 3rd-grade level ridicule so noted. Tomlin walked into a situation where he had veteran player leadership; the players were the enforcers. Now, as he loses those leaders, one by one (Hines, Aaron Smith, Farrior, Hoke), his weaknesses are rearing their ugly heads. His poor game day decisions are becoming glaring and formidable. And, now, in addition to those foibles, he is getting exposed for poor preparation, by his very own players.

Right, grown men have no responsibility to prepare for a game where they get paid millions. This isn't like your high school football team where the coach has to motivate you and your friends to play every Friday night.

Even if you wanted to buy into this argument of it being "Cowher's players", Tomlin did more with them in 5 years than Cowher did with his.

Cowher made more than his fair share of poor game day decisions, but that was before you were born so you wouldn't remember.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, since I no longer have this quote in my sig at this time, I feel that this inane thread deserves the full audio and video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

flippy
12-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Everyone's motivated by different stuff (money, fear, pride, greed, relationships. etc). A boss or a coach's job is to lay out a plan or vision for the company/team to accomplish. Then they've got to find people who can help them accomplish the plan. And they work to create an environment/culture/system where each of the employees/players can be most successful.

A manager or coach's job isn't to motivate. It's to lead. To strive for and reach a common shared goal. To work for the people who they manage to remove obstacles and help them be successful. The only motivation that works is the kind that comes from inside. Work hard to develop individual strengths and help them maximize their success in their own way and help them see how that contributes or ties into the broader goals. Success breeds success. And the motivation will happen on its own generally.

In any great organization, the leader isn't a boss. He's a servant with a vision.

SidSmythe
12-13-2012, 08:40 PM
OK, Did I miss something here???

What player(s) said "we weren't prepared to play" ???

flippy
12-13-2012, 08:44 PM
OK, Did I miss something here???

What player(s) said "we weren't prepared to play" ???

Keisel's the biggest culprit.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Tomlin's not going anywhere. Like him or not, he could go sub .500 for the next two years after this one and he would still have a job.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Tomlin's not going anywhere. Like him or not, he could go sub .500 for the next two years after this one and he would still have a job.
$$$$$
Mike's two Super Bowl appearances bought him a LOT of capital with the Rooneys.

BURGH86STEEL
12-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Based on what information do you believe that over 90% of humans need to be managed to get maximum production? In the real world, that's a bit extreme. Most people work with a lot of autonomy. People need to be self motivated to do their jobs. If they don't or can't do the job it's up to management to replace workers.

It's not easy to replace workers when we are talking about the elite of the elite athletes (Less than 1% of the population). You are not going to get the same production out of back up players.

It's difficult to compare the real world with the sports world. Coaches implement the plan and provide guidance. It's up to the players to do the job. When the players don't do the job(execute) based on the coaches plan the team generally fails. Coaches don't usually make that much of a difference unless their players are good enough. The Steelers players didn't play well enough to win vs the Chargers. Blame the coaching if you like but I put lay a majority of the blame on the players. I believe the team was prepared against the Chargers. The team didn't execute, made mistakes on the field, and did not make enough plays to win vs the Chargers. Execution, mistakes on the field, and making plays falls on the players.

Steelhere10
12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Why did I waste 5 minutes of my life opening this thread. Smdh

D Rock
12-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Eric Mangini???
One more strike and he is out
I'm missing something

Snatch98
12-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Why did I waste 5 minutes of my life opening this thread. Smdh

Is there an ignore button? Lloyd you're just one crazy ass post after another and it's getting INSANE. Truly.

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Everyone's motivated by different stuff (money, fear, pride, greed, relationships. etc). A boss or a coach's job is to lay out a plan or vision for the company/team to accomplish. Then they've got to find people who can help them accomplish the plan. And they work to create an environment/culture/system where each of the employees/players can be most successful.

A manager or coach's job isn't to motivate. It's to lead. To strive for and reach a common shared goal. To work for the people who they manage to remove obstacles and help them be successful. The only motivation that works is the kind that comes from inside. Work hard to develop individual strengths and help them maximize their success in their own way and help them see how that contributes or ties into the broader goals. Success breeds success. And the motivation will happen on its own generally.

In any great organization, the leader isn't a boss. He's a servant with a vision.

I guess we need no leaders in the human race anymore. Everyone will automatically do all the preparation and work that's needed without anyone managing them. That's what you guys think. What does leadership include? Motivation. Good leadership does motivate, so saying you just need leadership and not motivation is really not possible. One comes with the other.

lloydroid
12-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Right, grown men have no responsibility to prepare for a game where they get paid millions. This isn't like your high school football team where the coach has to motivate you and your friends to play every Friday night.

Even if you wanted to buy into this argument of it being "Cowher's players", Tomlin did more with them in 5 years than Cowher did with his.

Cowher made more than his fair share of poor game day decisions, but that was before you were born so you wouldn't remember.

My Steeler/football knowledge would dwarf yours. If pro players just naturally gave full effort and would practice enough, train enough, etc. why do they pay head coaches so much $? You guys are clueless.

Djfan
12-13-2012, 10:00 PM
My Steeler/football knowledge would dwarf yours. ....... You guys are clueless.

Crash lives

SidSmythe
12-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Crash lives

:D :D :D

He's humble and proud of it!

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Eric Mangini???
One more strike and he is out
I'm missing something

Haikus make even
Lloydroid threads palatable.
Leaders motivate.

Djfan
12-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Haikus make even
Leaders motivate.

Ruth, you're epic. Haiku made even stillers.com palatable.

Rock on, my brother.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Ruth, you're epic. Haiku made even stillers.com palatable.

Rock on, my brother.

I should start my own version of Twitter...instead of a 140 character limit, you should be required to format all of your posts in a 5 syllable, 7 syllable, 5 syllable format.

LordVile
12-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Haikus make even
Leaders motivate.

CTFU......
it was all over for me, in that other thread when u put him on blast..
I think the season is taking it's mental toll, on some fans.. to the brink of delirium

steelblood
12-14-2012, 08:31 AM
older children oft
build towering arguments
lacking foundation

snarky
12-14-2012, 08:42 AM
This thread is pointless. Tomlin's successor is obviously whomever is directly under him on the janitorial org chart. I mean, this is obviously a union shop (otherwise he wouldn't be an overpaid janitor) so it's going to be based on seniority.

Djfan
12-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Racial epitaths
empty convictions spoken
some love to sound right

JAR
12-14-2012, 08:49 AM

Chuck Noll used to tell his players that if he needed to motivate them, they probably deserved to be fired. Should the Steelers have replaced Noll?

flippy
12-14-2012, 08:52 AM
I should start my own version of Twitter...instead of a 140 character limit, you should be required to format all of your posts in a 5 syllable, 7 syllable, 5 syllable format.

@RB Twitter-Ku...
No more one forty limit...
Just 575 .....#Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.

Isn't it funny
#Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath has his own candy bar
But it's not named #Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.

(Ok, you're gonna need some rules for this new site. Are hashtags silent? I read them as silent on twitter. Sometime the word after the hash tag should be silent and other times not. Are @s silent? I read them as silent too. But let's say I want to send you my Hines-Ku and I'm like, Hey RB, check this out so I start off @RB. Is that 0, 2, or 3 syllables? I think it could vary by situation. In the above, I counted it as 2. And I feel shorted wasting 2 syllables on a shout out.)

D Rock
12-14-2012, 08:56 AM
CTFU......
it was all over for me, in that other thread when u put him on blast..
I think the season is taking it's mental toll, on some fans.. to the brink of delirium

a couple things of note...

-first time I've ever seen someone use "CTFU". I thought you were being rude to Ruthless for some unexplainable reason. Thankfully, google helped me out on this one.

-I don't know if you meant to do it or not, but the next two lines after that are very good candidates for conversion to haiku, and the punctuation used even made me read it that way

snarky
12-14-2012, 08:57 AM
And just for reference, here's the complete list of NFL coaches who have more years as a head coach than Tomlin and a higher winning percentage:

John Madden
Vince Lombardi
George Allen
Ray Flaherty
George Halas
Don Shula

But yeah, let's go ahead and fire the guy because the team had an emotional let down after a huge division win.

flippy
12-14-2012, 09:21 AM
And just for reference, here's the complete list of NFL coaches who have more years as a head coach than Tomlin and a higher winning percentage:

John Madden
Vince Lombardi
George Allen
Ray Flaherty
George Halas
Don Shula

But yeah, let's go ahead and fire the guy because the team had an emotional let down after a huge division win.

If your facts don't work
You can always resort to
Some snarky comment.

feltdizz
12-14-2012, 11:06 AM
replacing Tomlin? Not happening anytime soon...

However, I think some of the responsibility for motivating the team falls on the HC and coaching staff.

SidSmythe
12-14-2012, 11:11 AM

However, I think some of the responsibility for motivating the team falls on the HC and coaching staff.

You are wrong b/c Lloyddroid said so and his Steeler knowledge dwarfs yours and none of us know anything about football. So you're wrong. Just accept the fact that you are WRONG!!!! :Boobs
:Boobs

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
@RB Twitter-Ku...
No more one forty limit...
Just 575 .....#Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.

Isn't it funny
#Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath has his own candy bar
But it's not named #Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.

(Ok, you're gonna need some rules for this new site. Are hashtags silent? I read them as silent on twitter. Sometime the word after the hash tag should be silent and other times not. Are @s silent? I read them as silent too. But let's say I want to send you my Hines-Ku and I'm like, Hey RB, check this out so I start off @RB. Is that 0, 2, or 3 syllables? I think it could vary by situation. In the above, I counted it as 2. And I feel shorted wasting 2 syllables on a shout out.)

I find Twitter to be virtually unreadable because of all the # and @ everywhere. Those symbols are thereby banned from my haiku social media. And that sign that Prince changed his name to for a while is also banned...if it's not pronounceable, we don't know how many syllables it is.

Oviedo
12-14-2012, 11:34 AM

If hundreds of thousands of dollars aren't motivating them do you really think 40 and 50 year old men raising their voices is going to do the trick. These players have been yelled at their entire lives. They know how to tune out when getting yelled at. All you had to do was watch Cowher's antics and the expression on the player's faces. They just checked out, let him rant and moved on.

I went to a military school and it took about 2-3 weeks to figure out how to shutdown when you had multiple people screaming at you 6" from your face. That doesn't motivate and it doesn't work. In addition, I taught leadership in the Army for several years and the least effective manner of motivating experienced individuals was aggressive behavior. If anything i had the opposite effect than that intended. As I said yesterday, this isn't Pee Wee football and these players are 10 years old.

feltdizz
12-14-2012, 12:58 PM
If hundreds of thousands of dollars aren't motivating them do you really think 40 and 50 year old men raising their voices is going to do the trick. These players have been yelled at their entire lives. They know how to tune out when getting yelled at. All you had to do was watch Cowher's antics and the expression on the player's faces. They just checked out, let him rant and moved on.

I went to a military school and it took about 2-3 weeks to figure out how to shutdown when you had multiple people screaming at you 6" from your face. That doesn't motivate and it doesn't work. In addition, I taught leadership in the Army for several years and the least effective manner of motivating experienced individuals was aggressive behavior. If anything i had the opposite effect than that intended. As I said yesterday, this isn't Pee Wee football and these players are 10 years old.
Please show me where I said Tomlin needed to Cowher these guys up...

There are plenty of ways of motivating players...

http://proplayerinsiders.com/fifteen-year-old-inspires-a-giant-victory/

Maybe the Steelers need to go out into the city and spend more time with the fans and get a glimpse of how good they have it? Maybe Tomlin needs to bring in a few people to teach leadership or re-energize the team.

Yelling is a part of football but it isn't the only way to get a person motivated. Playing football is a job... and like most jobs it's easy to get in a rut or mail it in. Tomlin is the CEO/Manager of our team... he needs to lead and motivate... and maybe he needs to be motivated by his boss as well. I'm not talking hot seat or rumors of being fired. I'm talking about being challenged to get his guys moving in the right direction. It could be a call form Dungy... I have no idea but you can't trot out there and do the same thing as last week and expect a different result.

steelz09
12-14-2012, 01:25 PM

I understand what your saying and I AGREE with you. However, what your saying is just not reality. I've worked with people that are "professionals" and are much older than me. They are NOT self motivating and they need to be told about what tasks to do and when to do them. In addition to that, you even need to followup with them to ensure that it's done and done correctly.

Djfan
12-14-2012, 03:20 PM
You are wrong b/c Lloyddroid said so and his Steeler knowledge dwarfs yours and none of us know anything about football. So you're wrong. Just accept the fact that you are WRONG!!!!

I laughed out loud. Thanks!

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Chuck Noll used to tell his players that if he needed to motivate them, they probably deserved to be fired. Should the Steelers have replaced Noll?

It saddens me that some take so long to comprehend things. I never said Tomlin should go all rah rah and cheer lead. No one ever said that. Noll did motivate - he did so by benching and cutting players who weren't getting it done, and everyone knew that if they didn't put forth a full effort, they'd be cut. He didn't have to say much of anything - his actions did all the talking for him. It appears to me that players feel they can get away with thing with Tomlin, and that is why we have the problems we do. He is just NOW taking some actions, but they are a dollar short and 4 weeks too late.

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 05:20 PM
I understand what your saying and I AGREE with you. However, what your saying is just not reality. I've worked with people that are "professionals" and are much older than me. They are NOT self motivating and they need to be told about what tasks to do and when to do them. In addition to that, you even need to followup with them to ensure that it's done and done correctly.

Ahhhh, someone with real world experience who understands human nature. How refreshing. The only people who don't need managed are the very few self-starting hard workers. They exist in the form of your Hines Wards, etc. The vast majority of players need managed in order to get maximum production - they won't take effort on their own to make that extra lap, do the needed reps in weight lifting, etc. Why do you think so many show up out of shape in the camps? If they were so "professional" and self motivated, why don't they come into camp already in peak shape? I swear, some of you just don't apply logic or critical thinking.

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 05:23 PM

The real question should be: Why do you waste so much bandwidth with that dumb painting in your sig? It seems very wasteful. Why such a large image? It's like a foot high.

SidSmythe
12-14-2012, 06:16 PM

Professionals need to be treated as "professionals"

There is a time for screaming and yelling but it better be in good timing and done to the level of the audience.
Like the time I absolutely flipped out on my 9 & 12 yr old doing a half ass'd job cleaning up the kitchen. Totally flipped, they were in tears...but they know the difference between cleaning thoroughly and sweeping stuff under the rug now.

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 06:29 PM

There is a time for screaming and yelling but it better be in good timing and done to the level of the audience.
Like the time I absolutely flipped out on my 9 & 12 yr old doing a half ass'd job cleaning up the kitchen. Totally flipped, they were in tears...but they know the difference between cleaning thoroughly and sweeping stuff under the rug now.

I am still trying to figure out who said that screaming and yelling was what we were looking for; I merely want appropriate management that doesn't produce lackadaisical, lazy efforts leading to so many losses to horrible teams. That in no way asserts that we need coaches yelling; on the contrary, it calls for benching and cutting players who aren't on board and are not doing their jobs. This team, and coach, is just too slow to react once they see a player isn't putting forth full effort. I mean, the thing with putting Wallace as a "co-starter" was weak as all hell. At the very least, make him 2nd string, not a "co-starter." What kind of weak crap is that? With such weak and slow moves, you end up with a team who losses to the likes of Oak, TN, Cle, and SD. There should be no mystery as to why this team lacks focus. Their feet are not held to the fire when they should be. Period, end of story. Tomlin's recent additional of body fat is an indication that he lacks the discipline to run this team to produce maximum efforts.

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 06:33 PM

That is why kids don't raise themselves; we aren't alligators or some species where the young are hatched and on their own. Kids are stupid; they need direction. If they didn't we'd have them and just let them outside to raise themselves. And human beings, for the most part, need managed. If they didn't why do most players show up out of shape for camp? They need FORCED to work out on a level making them truly prepared for football. If not, why do we need so many camps? Hell, why is their such a leadership chain in the military if "professionals" did all they need to do on their own?

SidSmythe
12-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I am still trying to figure out who said that screaming and yelling was what we were looking for; I merely want appropriate management that doesn't produce lackadaisical, lazy efforts leading to so many losses to horrible teams. That in no way asserts that we need coaches yelling; on the contrary, it calls for benching and cutting players who aren't on board and are not doing their jobs. This team, and coach, is just too slow to react once they see a player isn't putting forth full effort. I mean, the thing with putting Wallace as a "co-starter" was weak as all hell. At the very least, make him 2nd string, not a "co-starter." What kind of weak crap is that? With such weak and slow moves, you end up with a team who losses to the likes of Oak, TN, Cle, and SD. There should be no mystery as to why this team lacks focus. Their feet are not held to the fire when they should be. Period, end of story. Tomlin's recent additional of body fat is an indication that he lacks the discipline to run this team to produce maximum efforts.

Lloyddroid... in some ways your post/rants prove your own point.

Sometimes you say some good stuff I totally agree with and then other times you go out on a limb (which is fine) ...but you lose people w/ how you present yourself. I'm willing to say you didn't think out this Thread when you first wrote it. You flew by the seat of ur pants w/out checking yourself (which led to wreckin' youself :) )

I would say the man you are critisizing (Tomlin) could teach you a few things about communication and the "EF Hutton" Principle.

D Rock
12-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Tomlin has put on weight. He is no longer able to be a good head coach.

That makes perfect sense.

SidSmythe
12-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Tomlin has put on weight. He is no longer able to be a good head coach.

That makes perfect sense.

No Wonder Bill Parcells didn't win one in New England or Dallas!! :p

D Rock
12-14-2012, 07:11 PM
we should probably bring in this guy

or maybe this guy

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 07:16 PM
No Wonder Bill Parcells didn't win one in New England or Dallas!! :p

You may be on to something. A trim Tomlin goes to two Super Bowls and wins one. A Tomlin with a gut losses to teams like Oak., Cle., TN and SD. Parcells had his best success while trimmer. The fat one never got as far.

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Lloyddroid... in some ways your post/rants prove your own point.

Sometimes you say some good stuff I totally agree with and then other times you go out on a limb (which is fine) ...but you lose people w/ how you present yourself. I'm willing to say you didn't think out this Thread when you first wrote it. You flew by the seat of ur pants w/out checking yourself (which led to wreckin' youself :) )

I would say the man you are critisizing (Tomlin) could teach you a few things about communication and the "EF Hutton" Principle.

You obviously missed the major point: No one is saying for MT to rant or rave, but to make the moves that signal to players that lack of effort and focus will not be tolerated. How on earth did Brown think it was OK to half bend over on the ball in the end zone? Because he is on a team where reactions to half @ssed efforts are slow or almost non-existent. There must be an explanation for why this team comes in so sloppy when playing your Titans, Raiders, Browns and Chargers. There MUST be a reason, and it lies at the feet of the head coach.

SidSmythe
12-14-2012, 07:26 PM
You obviously missed the major point: No one is saying for MT to rant or rave, but to make the moves that signal to players that lack of effort and focus will not be tolerated. How on earth did Brown think it was OK to half bend over on the ball in the end zone? Because he is on a team where reactions to half @ssed efforts are slow or almost non-existent. There must be an explanation for why this team comes in so sloppy when playing your Titans, Raiders, Browns and Chargers. There MUST be a reason, and it lies at the feet of the head coach.

I don't disagree with you for the most part....I'm just saying the way you present your arguements isn't effective ...even when you're right, you lose your audience with how you rub people the wrong way.

D Rock
12-14-2012, 07:30 PM
You may be on to something. A trim Tomlin goes to two Super Bowls and wins one. A Tomlin with a gut losses to teams like Oak., Cle., TN and SD. Parcells had his best success while trimmer. The fat one never got as far.

Skinny Tomlin, 2007:

L 28-31 to the Broncos who lost the previous 3 and next 2 games after this one, finished 7-9
L 16-19 to the Jets who were 1-8 at the time, finished 4-11
L 21-27 to the Ravens who were 4-11 at the time, finished 5-11, lost to the Steelers 38-7 earlier that season

Skinny Tomlin, 2008:

team went 12-4, won the Super Bowl, not much to complain about there

Skinny Tomin, 2009:
Five game losing streak including games against...

L 24-27 to the 2-7 Chiefs
L 24-27 to the 3-8 Raiders
L 6-13 to the 1-11 Browns

When did Tomlin get fat??? Should I keep going???

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2012, 07:44 PM

First we are losing because Tomlin is getting fat, and now the reason lies at the feet of the head coach.

That other thread may have been right about us starting to resemble the Jets, because it sounds like Tomlin is morphing into Rex Ryan.

D Rock
12-14-2012, 07:47 PM
First we are losing because Tomlin is getting fat, and now the reason lies at the feet of the head coach.

That other thread may have been right about us starting to resemble the Jets, because it sounds like Tomlin is morphing into Rex Ryan.

If only there was a nickname on par with Sexy Rexy for him. I believe in you Ruthless. You can do this.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
If only there was a nickname on par with Sexy Rexy for him. I believe in you Ruthless. You can do this.

He looks like Omar Epps.

Omar Epps got to make out with Oliva Wilde on House.

There is nothing sexier than making out with Olivia Wilde.

As for a nickname, since Rex is fat and has a nickname with Sexy in it, I need to come up with something that encompassed the weight gain as well as sexuality in some form or fashion. Mike Tomlin's middle name is Pettaway. His nickname, therefore will have to be Heavy Pettaway. There you go...fat and sexy simultaneously. Booyah.

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 08:05 PM
we should probably bring in this guy

or maybe this guy

Mangini has dropped major lbs since then. Kelly looks less fat than the average person. You really don't have a point here.

D Rock
12-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Mangini has dropped major lbs since then. Kelly looks less fat than the average person. You really don't have a point here.

hahahahaha really?!

Mike Tomlin this season:

Kelly looks less fat than the average person, and Mangini has dropped weight, but both are fatter than Tomlin. Why is that so hard for you to get?

let's recap:

-Mike Tomlin should be replaced by Chip Kelly or Eric Mangini
-Mike Tomlin got too fat to coach well now
-Eric Mangini and Chip Kelly are also fat
-Yeah, but not as fat as some people (some people does not include Mike Tomlin in this case)

Absolutely pathetic argument.

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 08:27 PM
hahahahaha really?!

Mike Tomlin this season:

Kelly looks less fat than the average person, and Mangini has dropped weight, but both are fatter than Tomlin. Why is that so hard for you to get?

let's recap:

-Mike Tomlin should be replaced by Chip Kelly or Eric Mangini
-Mike Tomlin got too fat to coach well now
-Eric Mangini and Chip Kelly are also fat
-Yeah, but not as fat as some people (some people does not include Mike Tomlin in this case)

Absolutely pathetic argument.

How do you know who is fatter than whom? Are you our carney "guess how much I weigh" guy? "Ahhhhh, a profit deal. That takes the pressure off."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUQkbXWwJhQ

D Rock
12-14-2012, 08:31 PM
How do you know who is fatter than whom? Are you our carney "guess how much I weigh" guy? "Ahhhhh, a profit deal. That takes the pressure off."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUQkbXWwJhQ

asks the guy who knows for sure that Dan Rooney will not be involved with the Steelers now that he is no longer Ambassador Rooney. Go figure.

lloydroid
12-14-2012, 08:40 PM
asks the guy who knows for sure that Dan Rooney will not be involved with the Steelers now that he is no longer Ambassador Rooney. Go figure.

He has had almost no role in football operations in over 3 years. It takes a real genius to figure this out.

D Rock
12-14-2012, 08:50 PM
He has had almost no role in football operations in over 3 years. It takes a real genius to figure this out.

Mitt Romney worked for Marriot International from 1993 through 2002. He left the company to run for governor and then president. He resumed working with Marriot in 2009 after running for president, then left he company in 2011 to run for president again. Now that he is no longer in a political position, he will again be resuming his employment with Marriot International.

Is that situation relative enough to Rooney's to make sense to you?

eniparadoxgma
12-14-2012, 10:49 PM
You really don't have a point here.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks for summarizing this thread.

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks for summarizing this thread.

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2010/11/23/6c3c9fbb-9954-458e-aff0-d99e22f5d98c.jpg

flippy
12-15-2012, 09:12 AM
We had good Hines-Ku
Then Lloydroid Went All Bonkers
Again and Again.

Mikey T Got Fat
If we win SuperBowl, you
Steel think he's Tubby?

lloydroid
12-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Mitt Romney worked for Marriot International from 1993 through 2002. He left the company to run for governor and then president. He resumed working with Marriot in 2009 after running for president, then left he company in 2011 to run for president again. Now that he is no longer in a political position, he will again be resuming his employment with Marriot International.

Is that situation relative enough to Rooney's to make sense to you?

Is Romney over 80-years-old? Just checking. Do people usually retire after 80, or no? Just checking.

lloydroid
12-15-2012, 04:14 PM
If they don't at least start the process, we could miss out on the best coaches out there, like Kelly and Gruden. I hope they are at least setting some wheels in motion, because it is becoming apparent that Tomlin just isn't getting it done. The 5 game losing streak in 2009 and now this: Losses to Oak., Cle., TN and SD. That is beyond embarrassing. And we nearly lost to KC and Philly - two other teams that we should have beat by 14 or 21. There is something VERY wrong with this team, and the bucks stops at head coach. He has failed to get the team to give any where near full effort other than in the big games that players naturally would get up for. You can't just get up for the big games; you have to get up for every game. Sure, one loss to a bad team happens and shouldn't be too critical; but losing four games to the 4 worst teams in the league, and almost losing to the other two worst teams is totally unacceptable. And Tomlin's game day decisions are becoming to be known as pathetic.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Fat sucks and old sucks.
Fatties die before they can
get old; That sucks too.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Fat sucks and old sucks.
Fatties die before they can
get old; That sucks too.

he's a janitor
Tomlin is fat and he sucks