PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro probably a go

Keyplay1
12-12-2012, 05:06 AM
By Alan Robinson (arobinson@tribweb.com?subject=RE:%20Steelers%20no tebook:%20With%20Colon%20out,%20DeCastro%20set%20t o%20start%20story%20on%20TribLIVE.com)

Published: Tuesday, December 11, 2012, 1:30 p.m.
Updated 5 hours ago

First-round draft pick David DeCastro might be ready to make his first NFL start.
With left guard Willie Colon (knee) out for at least a couple of weeks following knee surgery Monday, DeCastro will work with the starters. Ramon Foster would shift to left guard, and All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey would stay at his preferred position.
DeCastro has played only on special teams.
“If we like what we see, he may have an opportunity to play,” coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.

Updated: December 11, 2012, 4:23 PM ET

Associated Press

Left guard Willie Colon (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9717/willie-colon) had surgery on his left knee on Monday and could be out for the season. Tomlin said Tuesday that DeCastro will be worked in at right guard during practice this week and could start Sunday when the Steelers (7-6) play at Dallas (7-6).

After quickly earning his way onto the first team, DeCastro sustained a torn MCL during the Steelers' third preseason game and did not return to practice until mid-November. He was in uniform the past two games but only used on special teams.

"We're ready to take the next step," Tomlin said. "Potentially, this week -- depending on how that preparation looks."

Should DeCastro prove ready, Ramon Foster (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12883/ramon-foster) would move over to left guard, allowing All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13250/maurkice-pouncey) to stay at his given position.

In past years, an injury such as the one DeCastro sustained Aug. 25 in Buffalo might have meant a lost rookie season. But with modified injured reserve rules implemented this season, DeCastro was placed on an IR list that allowed him to come back after eight weeks. He did not, however, immediately regain the starting job he won early in camp. The Steelers instead chose to ease him into NFL life.

"With a guy like him, it's more than health because he doesn't have a lot of playing background," Tomlin said. "So although he's been healthy, practice has been good for him, the technique growth and development has been good for him, just simply playing professional football has been good for him. So although he's been healthy, we still thought he had room for growth from an overall readiness standpoint."

Tomlin did not guarantee DeCastro would start Sunday but did make reference to Foster's familiarity with left guard and the preference to return Pouncey to his most comfortable position.

---I was reluctant to post this info since it is a bit early. But since many had no idea how really ready to play DeCastro is I did anyway. Of course Wednesday will be a hard workout and if all goes well my guess is we see DeCastro Sunday.

Oviedo
12-12-2012, 08:46 AM
If it keeps Legursky out of the line up how could they possibly not do it. He was blown up Sunday more times than I could count. All I saw was "64" being pushed backwards.

It appears that we need to still be looking for OL in the upcoming draft.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-12-2012, 09:50 AM
All I can say is, I hope he's fully healed. If we ruin his career by messing up his knee due to bringing him back too soon, all for the sake of trying to help a mediocre team limp into the playoffs, what a waste IMO.

It appears that we need to still be looking for OL in the upcoming draft.
The way we go through OL, we'd better get a tackle, guard and a center. I have a bad feeling about Gilbert Grape, Starks ain't getting any younger, and Colon is about to blow.

flippy
12-12-2012, 10:45 AM
If Double D plays like he looked in college, our running game is ready to take off. Rainey running left behind a pulling Double D could be a lot like watching FWP XL TD runs over and over and over.

Sugar
12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm just glad that we might be able to see this guy play. He was so hyped coming out of the draft and it looked like he might have been lost for the season.

Oviedo
12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
All I can say is, I hope he's fully healed. If we ruin his career by messing up his knee due to bringing him back too soon, all for the sake of trying to help a mediocre team limp into the playoffs, what a waste IMO.

The way we go through OL, we'd better get a tackle, guard and a center. I have a bad feeling about Gilbert Grape, Starks ain't getting any younger, and Colon is about to blow.

Until someone can take Starks' job away from him he is the best option we have at LT and I hope we keep him.

Colon will be a cap casualty in all probability unless he would add a big "dead money" hit against the cap. IIRC he just renegotiated his contract before the season to clear cap space so the "dead money" may be an issue.

There are some outstanding Guards that will likely be available when we pick in Round 1. Do you get another and build the most dominant interior OL in the NFL with DeCasto-Pouncey-new #1?

Jigawatts
12-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Keep Marcus Gilbert away from this man!

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Keep Marcus Gilbert away from this man!

Mendenhall was declared inactive, and the Steelers suspended him when he did not show up on gameday.

Gilbert was put on injured reserve, and the Steelers should suspend him if his DOES show up on gameday. :p

Shawn
12-12-2012, 01:33 PM

The docs are not going to approve him coming back before he is ready.

phillyesq
12-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Until someone can take Starks' job away from him he is the best option we have at LT and I hope we keep him.

Colon will be a cap casualty in all probability unless he would add a big "dead money" hit against the cap. IIRC he just renegotiated his contract before the season to clear cap space so the "dead money" may be an issue.

There are some outstanding Guards that will likely be available when we pick in Round 1. Do you get another and build the most dominant interior OL in the NFL with DeCasto-Pouncey-new #1?

Completely agree on Starks. As for Colon, there is a significant dead money issue - I think he would count about $6 million against the cap if cut. Releasing him would only save about $1 million, and when you factor in the cost of a replacement, there is barely any savings at all. I think Colon will return, hopefully in better shape.

The idea of another OG is intriguing, but I think other needs (playmaker at WR if Wallace leaves, OLB, ILB, S, RB) will trump OG in the draft.

Oviedo
12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Completely agree on Starks. As for Colon, there is a significant dead money issue - I think he would count about $6 million against the cap if cut. Releasing him would only save about $1 million, and when you factor in the cost of a replacement, there is barely any savings at all. I think Colon will return, hopefully in better shape.

The idea of another OG is intriguing, but I think other needs (playmaker at WR if Wallace leaves, OLB, ILB, S, RB) will trump OG in the draft.

Understand that OG may not look as a priority but from a BPA perspective if we could get Chance Warmack (Ala) or John Cooper (NC) in round one we will have a great middle three anchoring the OL for the next 5-6 years.

If they dump Wallace, and I think they will, a WR in Round 1 is a real possibility.

Shawn
12-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, O it's interesting because there are very few positions the Steelers won't look at in the first. WR, SS, FS, ILB, OLB, RB, OG, OT I think are all in the mix.

BigRob
12-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I am really beginning to think there is no position eliminated from first round consideration except QB.

Oviedo
12-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Well, O it's interesting because there are very few positions the Steelers won't look at in the first. WR, SS, FS, ILB, OLB, RB, OG, OT I think are all in the mix.

I would really be surprised if they went after Safety in Round 1 unless they see a once in a decade player like Polamalu or Ed Reed. Believe me, I really do think we need youth at the SS and FS positions, but this draft is just really deep at the Safety position.

steelblood
12-12-2012, 04:40 PM

Even more disconcerting, Pouncey may have played worse at both G AND C.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2012, 04:43 PM
I highly doubt an interior O-lineman gets drafted high. Pouncey and DeCastro are high picks that will man C & RG next year. They likely won't be able to keep both Colon and Foster, but whichever one they do keep should start at LG (likely Colon, since we'd have significant dead money if we cut him, while Foster will be a free agent). Beachum seems to be a reasonable backup option inside (Trai Essex 2.0), and they could bring back Legursky on a minor deal to be a backup who can play center. Try to extend Maurkice Pouncey's contract this offseason, keep Colon for a few seasons until Mike Pouncey is eligible for free agency (new CBA $'s will be available by then), then reunite the twins. A Pouncey-Pouncey-DeCastro interior OL would be awesome.

steelblood
12-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Understand that OG may not look as a priority but from a BPA perspective if we could get Chance Warmack (Ala) or John Cooper (NC) in round one we will have a great middle three anchoring the OL for the next 5-6 years.

If they dump Wallace, and I think they will, a WR in Round 1 is a real possibility.

Here is a OG for ya....

Laken Tomlinson of Duke. He is a redshirt sophomore and could declare this season. I think he'll be a better pro than Warmack or Cooper.

If we cut Colon, we could draft a guard as Foster will be a UFA.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-12-2012, 05:06 PM
kudos again to Ramon Foster.

without a word the kid just slides over to LG and will more than likely get the job done. Maybe the most consistent player on the OL this year. So underappreciated from a lot of folks in steeler nation.

keeping colon over him is a mistake.

BigRob
12-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Here is a OG for ya....

Laken Tomlinson of Duke. He is a redshirt sophomore and could declare this season. I think he'll be a better pro than Warmack or Cooper.

If we cut Colon, we could draft a guard as Foster will be a UFA.

Better than Chance Warmack. Bwahahaha.

SS Laser
12-13-2012, 01:20 AM
I hope Ben is ready to run for his life against the cowboys if both rookies are on the right side. A very green rookie next to a suspect RT is not good. If Adams was back I would feel better. He had a few games and more talent then Beachum at RT I think. Maybe they can play like the Chargers patched o-line did last week.:p

papillon
12-13-2012, 10:15 AM
kudos again to Ramon Foster.

without a word the kid just slides over to LG and will more than likely get the job done. Maybe the most consistent player on the OL this year. So underappreciated from a lot of folks in steeler nation.

keeping colon over him is a mistake.

I don't disagree at all about Colon/Foster, however, whether Colon is on the team or not he's costing the Steelers about 5 million dollars plus next year. I think you have to keep him and let him compete and if he wins the job, he wins the job, if he doesn't he's an expensive but good backup.

Pappy

Slapstick
12-13-2012, 10:49 AM
I am really beginning to think there is no position eliminated from first round consideration except QB.

I don't think that there should be any positions eliminated from the first round except QB...

When you have value and need dovetail as they did with DeCastro, that is the best of all possible worlds...but, the way that the Steelers can truly improve over the long haul is by drafting the best available player...

phillyesq
12-13-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't disagree at all about Colon/Foster, however, whether Colon is on the team or not he's costing the Steelers about 5 million dollars plus next year. I think you have to keep him and let him compete and if he wins the job, he wins the job, if he doesn't he's an expensive but good backup.

Pappy

I agree. There is almost no cap savings if Colon is cut ($1 million minus the cost of a replacement) and he was a big part of the success of the running game.

I'd like to see them find a way to bring Foster back, but he may have played himself out of the Steelers price range. He's never counted on to start when the season begins and always seems to end up starting by the end of the year.

BigRob
12-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I agree. There is almost no cap savings if Colon is cut ($1 million minus the cost of a replacement)

What if he is designated as a June 1st cut? It spreads the hit over 2 years instead of one.

phillyesq
12-13-2012, 02:58 PM
What if he is designated as a June 1st cut? It spreads the hit over 2 years instead of one.

Can you still do that under the new CBA?

BigRob
12-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Can you still do that under the new CBA?

I think so.

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/3990

Q: Does the June 1 rule still exist?

A: If a team cuts a veteran player after June 1, the remaining signing bonus will be spread over two years rather than accelerate into the current year’s cap. For example, John Doe is cut in year 2 of his contract with $2M left on his signing bonus and a base salary of $1M before June 1. His team is hit with dead money ($1M base salary less $2M signing bonus equals $1M in dead cap space).

If John is cut AFTER June 1, only $1M of his remaining $2M signing bonus hits the current cap year with the remaining million being dumped into the next year’s cap. Thus, if you subtract the $1M signing bonus from the $1M scheduled base, John Doe ends up costing his team ZERO against the current year’s cap; however, in the next year’s cap, he’ll end up costing his team $1M against the cap.

I think this is a possibility. The cap is flat for 2013, but it is supposed to go up quite a bit for 2014.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I hope Ben is ready to run for his life against the cowboys if both rookies are on the right side. A very green rookie next to a suspect RT is not good. If Adams was back I would feel better. He had a few games and more talent then Beachum at RT I think. Maybe they can play like the Chargers patched o-line did last week.:p

We used to run G-power to the right only (with Kemo as the pulling guard from left to right).

Now, we'll likely run G-power to the left, since LG Foster is a better straightforward run-blocker, and RG DeCastro is better at pulling and blocking in space.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2012, 07:36 PM
DeCastro eager to play
Posted by Teresa Varley on December 12, 2012 – 9:56 pm

Steelers guard David DeCastro doesn’t wear his emotions on his sleeve, but he is definitely eager to get back on the field this week, with the potential to start at right guard against the Dallas Cowboys.

“We believe that his health is at a level now that we can put him in and watch him prepare during the course of the week,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “If we like what we see, he may have an opportunity to play.”

With left guard Willie Colon out after knee surgery, the Steelers could move right guard Ramon Foster into Colon’s spot and start DeCastro on the right side if he has a good week of practice.

“I am extremely eager,” said DeCastro. “That is what I have been working the past couple of months for. I have been injured, doing rehab, and you set a goal like this to get back out there and play.”

DeCastro saw limited action for the first time this season when he was on the extra point and field goal units against San Diego. While it was only a few snaps, for him just playing was a bonus after he has been out all season after suffering an MCL injury in the preseason. Now he is ready to take it to the next level.

“I definitely know the system,” said DeCastro. “It’s just a matter of getting back out there, first game, real live action. It’s a little different than practice. I feel great in practice and have only been out there the last couple of weeks and haven’t taken any steps back.

“It’s one of those things where I was getting comfortable every week. Every week has gotten a lot better, which is positive. It’s gotten better every week so it should keep going upwards.”

DeCastro, who will wear a knee brace on Sunday, said he feels confident and isn’t worried about how his knee will react in game action.

“After the last couple of weeks practicing you get more comfortable with it,” said DeCastro. “I feel confident in it. I am good.

“I might be a little nervous, but that is natural. It would be a problem if I wasn’t.”

Receiver Mike Wallace heard something at Heinz Field last week that he hasn’t heard since playing with the Steelers – fans booing him.

While Wallace caught two touchdown passes against the Chargers in a 34-24 loss, he also dropped a pass that brought on boos, but said it didn’t get him down.

“It’s not like I am surprised or upset, if I handled my business or did my part nothing would go on,” said Wallace. “There’s not too much to say about it. They have their right, people do whatever they want. Anything I do is going to be magnified. I just have to do what I need to do and don’t give anybody a reason to say anything. Whatever happens I take full responsibility for it.”

Wallace said he needs to “be a better player,” but there isn’t any lack of effort on his part.

“I know that and I work hard at it every single day. I would love to make every play. I just have to keep working at it.”

Cornerback Ike Taylor missed his first game since 2004 last week when the Steelers hosted the Chargers, something that was tough for him. And while he will miss this week’s game against the Cowboys as well, his hope is to get back on the field this year, but he couldn’t commit to anything.

“Right now it’s going really well,” said Taylor. “The process is going really fast. I wish I had a genie bottle. I wish I could make things happen fast, come back and give you a timetable. The process is going fast.”

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/12/12/decastro-eager-to-play/

fordfixer
12-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Steeler rookie tackle Beachum learning on the fly

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Steelers-rookie-tackle-Beachum-learning-on-the-fly-99050574

UPDATED DEC 13, 2012 6:05 PM ET

PITTSBURGH (AP)
Kelvin Beachum and David DeCastro were separated by 224 picks - and an avalanche of expectations - in last April's NFL Draft.

The Steelers considered DeCastro a steal with the 24th overall selection, a plug-and-play talent they could pencil in at right guard for the next decade. Beachum almost wasn't taken at all, a seventh-round flier who arrived in Pittsburgh as the fourth (and last) option at offensive tackle.

On Sunday, with the Steelers (7-6) clinging to their playoff lives in Dallas, the sure thing and the project will line up next to each other on the right side of the line.

And the weird thing is, Beachum will be the seasoned one.

The soft-spoken 23-year-old will make his third straight start against the Cowboys while DeCastro will make his regular-season debut after suffering a right knee injury in August that nearly cost him his rookie year.

If anything, Beachum's steady play has helped quell any butterflies DeCastro may have as his first start looms.

''Seeing how well (Kelvin) has fit in certainly gives me more confidence as well,'' DeCastro said. ''I've waited a long time for this game, but that's life. Adversity comes along, but how well you can deal with it is the key to success. And I think I've dealt with it pretty well so far.''

So has Beachum, who spent four years playing left tackle at SMU but figured there was no chance he'd hear his name called during the draft. He was so certain he would have to take his chances as a rookie free agent Beachum went to a family reunion on the draft's final day.

Driving back to campus, Beachum's phone buzzed and told him to hurry home. A short time later Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert called and urged Beachum to get packing after Pittsburgh took him with the team's final pick, No. 248 overall.

Eight months later, the 6-foot-3, 306-pound kid with the boyish face will line up in Cowboys Stadium - about 90 minutes north of his hometown of Mexia, Texas - and see Dallas defensive end Marcus Spears on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

Pretty heady territory for a kid who grew up in a school of 600 students simply hoping to land an athletic scholarship, though Beachum insists he won't be overcome by the moment.

Yeah, it's the NFL. It's still just football.

''They get paid just like you get paid,'' Beachum said. ''They might get paid a little more, but you need to go out there and perform and put your best foot forward.''

Something Beachum has done since being pressed into service following injuries to Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams and Willie Colon. Beachum made his first start in Baltimore two weeks ago and helped keep backup quarterback Charlie Batch out of trouble as the Steelers rallied for a season-saving 23-20 victory.

The going was significantly rougher in last week's 34-24 whipping by San Diego, though Beachum was hardly alone as the Steelers struggled to get anything going offensively until the game was well out of reach.

He expects to bounce back this week. Having DeCastro line up next to him won't hurt. Beachum joked the two were ''making history'' though the Steelers will settle for the rookies creating running room for backs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley just smiled when asked if he's ever been in a situation where the entire NFL careers of the right side of the line is a combined four games. It's not exactly the lineup Haley envisioned in August.

''We've been in some pretty sticky situations but that's kind of how this year has been for this group,'' Haley said. ''We haven't always performed the way that we'd like or up to our abilities, but I do think that with some of the adversity we've had to face through some of these injuries, it's forced the guys to become extra cohesive and look out for our own.''

DeCastro and Beachum will certainly be looking out for each other on Sunday as the Steelers try to build some momentum heading into a showdown with Cincinnati on Dec. 23 that will likely determine which team plays into January.

''We're great together,'' DeCastro said. ''(Kelvin's) obviously a smart guy, and I think we'll work well together.''

The Steelers need them to if they expect to play into January. All niceties aside, Beachum really is the last option. Gilbert is out for the season with an ankle injury, Adams - the team's second-round pick in April - is out indefinitely with his own ankle problem and Colon is down with a balky knee.

Suddenly, Pittsburgh's Mr. Irrelevant is very relevant. Though Beachum understands he's unlikely to be the starter when everyone gets healthy, even if that's not until next summer, he doesn't try to think about what each snap means in terms of his future.

''You've got to man up, that's pretty much it,'' Beachum said. ''It's simple man. You take it by the horns and you roll with it. You don't have time to think about what can happen, you've just got to block the guy in front of you.''

---

NOTES: LB LaMarr Woodley practiced again Thursday and appears ready to start in Dallas. Woodley has missed the last two weeks with a sprained ankle ... LB James Harrison missed his second straight practice with an illness ... S Troy Polamalu also skipped practice but it was deemed ''not injury'' related. ... The Cowboys (7-6) are a game behind the Giants in the NFC East.

fordfixer
12-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Steelers' DeCastro gets a delayed trial by fire

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-decastro-gets-a-delayed-trial-by-fire/article_d8b60637-6f48-51e2-872a-53177cffad20.html

Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com
PITTSBURGH — David DeCastro is a man of few words. Even when among teammates, seldom does he have much to say. That’s fine with the Steelers.
They don’t want their new right guard to talk a great game. They want him to play great. On Sunday, DeCastro (right) will get that chance.
The Steelers’ first-round pick in this year’s draft will make his first pro start in Dallas.
“I am extremely eager,” he said. “That is what I have been working the past couple of months for. I have been injured, doing rehab, and you set a goal like this to get back out there and play.”
DeCastro, a consensus All-American last year at Stanford, was slated to start the minute he arrived in Pittsburgh. But on Aug. 25, in the third preseason game in Buffalo, he suffered multiple knee injuries that put his rookie season in jeopardy.
His season, though, wasn’t over before it began. The NFL had just instituted a “designated to return” rule that allowed one player per team to be re-instated from injured reserve. Before the new rule, any player placed on I.R. was done for the year.
“I’m lucky for the new rule,” DeCastro said.
DeCastro was activated Nov. 26. He wasn’t in uniform for the Dec. 2 game in Baltimore. Last week in the home loss to San Diego, he got a taste of NFL game by playing on the extra point and field goal units.
But due to the latest injury on the offensive line — Willie Colon is out indefinitely with a surgically repaired knee — DeCastro is now a first-stringer. He’ll play the right guard spot he was playing before he got hurt. Ramon Foster, who started the first 13 games at right guard, will move to left guard.
“I definitely know the system,” DeCastro said. “It’s just a matter of getting back out there for real live action. It’s a little different than practice. I’ve felt great in practice. I haven’t taken any steps backward. I’ve been getting more comfortable every week. It’s gotten better every week so it should keep going upwards.”
The Steelers (7-6) hope so because they’ll be starting two rookies on the O-line this week. At right tackle, seventh-round pick Kelvin Beachum will make his third straight start. He’s playing because Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams, second-round picks in the last two drafts, are both out with ankle injuries.
In recent years, it’s not been unusual for a rookie to start on the O-line. Foster (2009), center Maurkice Pouncey (2010), Gilbert (2011) and Adams (2012) have started at some points of their rookie seasons.
But it’s rare that two rookies have started at the same time on the offensive line. In fact, some of the long-time front-office employees don’t know the last time it’s happened with the Steelers.
“Everybody keeps reminding (me) of that,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said of the challenge of starting rookies at right guard and right tackle. “My answer is that this whole season has been a challenge. It’s all hands on deck. They’re expected to play good football.”
DeCastro, who’ll have to wear a knee brace, said he’s ready to go.
“I might be a little nervous, but that is natural,” he said. “It would be a problem if I wasn’t.”

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-15-2012, 03:05 AM
I think so.

I think this is a possibility. The cap is flat for 2013, but it is supposed to go up quite a bit for 2014.

Not to sound like a know-it-all, but this explanation is only partially right - assuming that this has not changed in the new CBA. The hit that is spread out over the two years depends on the remaining length of the contract. Only one year's value is part of the current year hit, while the remainder is accelerated into the next season.

I have found some numbers on Colon so let me try to figure it out.......

His contract was signed in 2011, and was a 5 year, $29M contract, but only a $6M SB ($1.2M per year). Now you add this season's redo, which gave him $3.8M more in SB, and he took only $700K as salary. So that adds $950K per year since that is only a 4 year SB.

Next season's cap hit will be $1.2M + $950K SB, and a $5.5M salary, for a grand total of $7.65M.

Should we cut him prior to June 1, the cap hit would be $3.6M (3 of 5 yr remaining SB from original contract) + $2.85M (3 of 4 yr remaining from last year's deal) = $6.45M

Should we cut him after June 1, the hit will be $2.15M for 2013 + $4.3M for the expected much higher cap of 2014.

Note that my numbers were just pulled from rotoworld, and do not include any workout or roster bonuses that may be included in the contract.

flippy
12-15-2012, 09:16 AM
I like Double D's
Potential to help us run
And win more ball games.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2012, 05:48 PM
I like Double D's
Potential to help us run
And win more ball games.

I like the other
type of double D's also,
like on this smiley:

:Boobs

BigRob
12-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Not to sound like a know-it-all, but this explanation is only partially right - assuming that this has not changed in the new CBA. The hit that is spread out over the two years depends on the remaining length of the contract. Only one year's value is part of the current year hit, while the remainder is accelerated into the next season.

I have found some numbers on Colon so let me try to figure it out.......

His contract was signed in 2011, and was a 5 year, $29M contract, but only a $6M SB ($1.2M per year). Now you add this season's redo, which gave him $3.8M more in SB, and he took only $700K as salary. So that adds $950K per year since that is only a 4 year SB.

Next season's cap hit will be $1.2M + $950K SB, and a $5.5M salary, for a grand total of $7.65M.

Should we cut him prior to June 1, the cap hit would be $3.6M (3 of 5 yr remaining SB from original contract) + $2.85M (3 of 4 yr remaining from last year's deal) = $6.45M

Should we cut him after June 1, the hit will be $2.15M for 2013 + $4.3M for the expected much higher cap of 2014.

Note that my numbers were just pulled from rotoworld, and do not include any workout or roster bonuses that may be included in the contract.

Thanks for the breakdown.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2012, 02:15 AM
I like Double D's
Potential to help us run
And win more ball games.

she had Double D's
saved her life in a car crash
only had black eyes

Keyplay1
12-16-2012, 05:17 AM
"They don’t want their new right guard to talk a great game. They want him to play great."

Good! There is more than enough of that coming out of the Steelers trio of "Young Mouths" ooops I mean "Young Money":o

NorthCoast
12-16-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't think that there should be any positions eliminated from the first round except QB...

When you have value and need dovetail as they did with DeCastro, that is the best of all possible worlds...but, the way that the Steelers can truly improve over the long haul is by drafting the best available player...

This. It was the guiding philosophy of Chuck Noll's draft strategy.