PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall Suspended

phillyesq
12-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Per the local beat writers. No word on why yet. One game suspension, Batch activated.

I did not think it was likely that he would return, but after this, I'd be shocked to see him back.

birtikidis
12-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Suspended one game. Bring up batch.

birtikidis
12-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Conduct detrimental to the team.
he is done as a Steeler

birtikidis
12-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Damn you're quick

Eddie Spaghetti
12-11-2012, 07:39 PM
well, that's that.

move RB up a round or two.

Sugar
12-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Does anyone know why? What was the detrimental conduct?

SS Laser
12-11-2012, 07:43 PM
I posted it in the RB thread at 6:29! :cool:

SS Laser
12-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know why? What was the detrimental conduct?

I figured it was something on twitter.

Sugar
12-11-2012, 07:59 PM
I figured it was something on twitter.

What did he say on Twitter? I guess, I'll have to start following him.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-11-2012, 08:04 PM
just heard on radio, he didn't show up to heinz after learning he wouldn't dress last week.

that is effing pathetic.

Snatch98
12-11-2012, 08:06 PM
just heard on radio, he didn't show up to heinz after learning he wouldn't dress last week.

that is effing pathetic.

I agree stupid. However I do think that him being inactive the one game was enough, unless he's not healthy enough to play. If you Consider the anemic nature of our run game the last few weeks he should have dressed. I felt like he could have helped us against the Chargers.

toddjammin
12-11-2012, 08:08 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/steelers-suspend-rb-rashard-mendenhall-for-one-game-for-conduct-detrimental-to-the-team/

SS Laser
12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
As of this I am now ready to move on. Hows 3rd or 4th rd sound for a RB? It still depends how much trust the coaches have in Dwyer. I don't have much really. Hope Rainey can get better next year.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-11-2012, 08:11 PM
I agree stupid. However I do think that him being inactive the one game was enough, unless he's not healthy enough to play. If you Consider the anemic nature of our run game the last few weeks he should have dressed. I felt like he could have helped us against the Chargers.

could not disagree more.

he earned his spot on the jnactive list and just earned his ticket out of pittsburgh.

JAR
12-11-2012, 08:24 PM
None of the team showed up at Heinz on Sunday, what's the big deal?

lloydroid
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
And to think all of those who mocked me in the off season for me saying Dwyer would be the better NFL back if he got a shot. I guess it's _really_ hard to be the better back when you don't even dress. Lloydroid 1, the mockers 0.

lloydroid
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
None of the team showed up at Heinz on Sunday, what's the big deal?

There was no room to run, it wasn't the backs fault.

SteelCrazy
12-11-2012, 08:32 PM
This is bs. Conduct detrimental to the team? How? How is he causing harm to the team by not being there when he isnt even dressing? He needs to appeal and I hope he wins.

Dee Dub
12-11-2012, 08:36 PM
well, that's that.

move RB up a round or two.

Why? Whats wrong with the other 3 RB's this team has? (Dwyer, Redman, and Rainey)

Eddie Spaghetti
12-11-2012, 08:37 PM
This is bs. Conduct detrimental to the team? How? How is he causing harm to the team by not being there when he isnt even dressing? He needs to appeal and I hope he wins.

are you serious?

this is far worse than his truther tweets,which I didn't have a problem with. This shows a me first mentality and I hope he is kept away from the team for the rest of the season.

edit- cmon dub, get real. Neither of those guys(redman,dwyer) are feature backs as we have seen this year, and rainey is a 5-8 touch/game guy outside of his return duties.

BigRob
12-11-2012, 08:41 PM
And to think all of those who mocked me in the off season for me saying Dwyer would be the better NFL back if he got a shot. I guess it's _really_ hard to be the better back when you don't even dress. Lloydroid 1, the mockers 0.

How can you claim this has happened yet? Mendenhall is still obviously the better NFL back. However, that doesn't mean that Dwyer wasn't a better fit for the Steelers this year.

SteelCrazy
12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
are you serious?

this is far worse than his truther tweets,which I didn't have a problem with. This shows a me first mentality and I hope he is kept away from the team for the rest of the season.

edit- cmon dub, get real. Neither of those guys(redman,dwyer) are feature backs as we have seen this year, and rainey is a 5-8 touch/game guy outside of his return duties.

Are you serious? He was demoted for fumbling, just like the rest of the RB's on the team did. The Steelers sit him at the 3rd spot and then the next week they dont even dress him? He stays home and he gets suspended? Why does he have to be there if he isnt dressing and is 100% healthy? Hold a clip board? APPEAL!

lloydroid
12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
How can you claim this has happened yet? Mendenhall is still obviously the better NFL back. However, that doesn't mean that Dwyer wasn't a better fit for the Steelers this year.

Had JD ever got all the carries that RM had, he would have destroyed his production. I have never seen RM make something out of nothing but I have seen JD do that for big plays, several times just this year.

SteelBucks
12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Team is currently a hot mess....

Eddie Spaghetti
12-11-2012, 08:46 PM
why the hell wouldn't he be there?

unprofessional and childish, thats why.

can't believe someone is defending this action.

BigRob
12-11-2012, 08:48 PM

SteelCrazy
12-11-2012, 08:48 PM
lloydroid, Dwyer is fat and lazy. He has a lot to prove before he is even in the same league with RM. I'm not even a big RM fan, but I feel like one in this thread......

SteelCrazy
12-11-2012, 08:49 PM
why the hell wouldn't he be there?

unprofessional and childish, thats why.

can't believe someone is defending this action.

Cant believe someone is calling it an action

Why should he show up when he is healthy and they do not dress him. That seems childish to me....not dressing your best back because he fumbled twice, all the while the rest of of your RB's did the same thing

BigRob
12-11-2012, 08:49 PM
The ifs and buts arguments hold no water. RM has been and is still the better NFL back based on production.

It took JD two years just to get on an NFL field. He may turn out to be the better NFL back, but not yet.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-11-2012, 08:51 PM

choosing to stay home and pout instead of coming to the ballpark is definitely an action, bub.

don't know if you are purposely being obtuse.

SS Laser
12-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Are you serious? He was demoted for fumbling, just like the rest of the RB's on the team did. The Steelers sit him at the 3rd spot and then the next week they dont even dress him? He stays home and he gets suspended? Why does he have to be there if he isnt dressing and is 100% healthy? Hold a clip board? APPEAL!

There is more to it then just fumbling. He is a cry baby now at this point. How many real Steelers have had to sit the pine not hurt? I am sure a few. I was a mendy fan even with his stupid off the field stuff. But this is disrespect toward the steelers. No player is worth that. I will give him props up till now. No stupid tweets yet. Maybe he learned something? We will see. Keep an eye on twitter.

SteelCrazy
12-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I find not dressing your best back and getting mad and suspending him when he doesnt show up to hold a clip board is stupid.

SteelBucks
12-11-2012, 08:55 PM

Why should he show up when he is healthy and they do not dress him. That seems childish to me....not dressing your best back because he fumbled twice, all the while the rest of of your RB's did the same thing

Why show up? Because it's his job....whether he plays or not.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-11-2012, 08:56 PM
what part of professional football player do you not understand?

hint: he still cashed a check last week.

SteelCrazy
12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
If you drive a truck for a living and your boss tells you he found another driver for 1 day because you been late on deliveries would you still show up and ride shotgun?

SteelCrazy
12-11-2012, 09:01 PM
I see your point and maybe he should have been there, but suspending him? Seems obsessive.....

Chadman
12-11-2012, 09:08 PM
There's a real feeling of pettiness this season in Pittsburgh- most notably in the reaction to Wallace not signing his contract offer, and then seeing Brown offered essentially mike's money in a "well, if you won't sign, we'll give it to this guy" kind of deal... and now having Mendenhall sit as a healthy inactive even though he wasn't the Lone Ranger in the fumbleathon.

Does he deserve suspension? Yeah, why not. He's gone next year. So is Wallace. But the treatment both have recieved from the FO has been really petty, and not overly proffesional.

Lebsteel
12-11-2012, 09:24 PM
what part of professional football player do you not understand?

hint: he still cashed a check last week.

But not this week!

eniparadoxgma
12-11-2012, 09:24 PM
There's obviously more to this than just the fumbles. Since his return from injury he has shown nothing at all. Suspend him and let him walk this year. It definitely doesn't seem as if we're losing anything.

Maybe he'll go on to be a good RB elsewhere. However, it seems obvious it's not going to happen here.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-11-2012, 09:52 PM
looking back at that 2008 draft is enough to make a man puke.

what a disaster.

steelz09
12-11-2012, 10:13 PM
How about showing up to support your fellow teammates?

This is the equivalent to Cam Newton pouting on the bench when he was benched after a horrific day. And his fellow teammate (i.e. Steve Smith) didn't appreciate it and called him out on it. Smith's comments towards Cam would hold true in this scenario as well.

phillyesq
12-11-2012, 10:17 PM

This is the equivalent to Cam Newton pouting on the bench when he was benched after a horrific day. And his fellow teammate (i.e. Steve Smith) didn't appreciate it and called him out on it. Smith's comments towards Cam would hold true in this scenario as well.

Excellent point. The first game on the sideline, Mendenhall seemed somewhat disengaged, but he could at least have the decency to show up.

He is paid to be part of the team and part of that is showing up. He's paid to be there.

Shoe
12-11-2012, 10:28 PM
There's obviously more to this than just the fumbles. Since his return from injury he has shown nothing at all. Suspend him and let him walk this year. It definitely doesn't seem as if we're losing anything.

That's what I was going to say. Y'all are acting like it's all about the fumbles. That may be the impetus, but who knows what else there is involved--maybe the way he reacted, maybe actions that preceded it, maybe it's an attitude that has always be an issue...

Everyone else can call it petty, etc. But in the grand scheme (i.e. if Dwyer can stay healthy), who cares about his fumbling-in-the-Super-Bowl-@s$.

(And BTW lloydroid: Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.)

DukieBoy
12-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Disappointing. Sad, really. I imagine the background has more to it than will be known here. It's been an uncomfortable fit between the Steelers and Mendy. Hope he finds a better fit elsewhere.

NorthCoast
12-11-2012, 10:43 PM

uhh, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Steelers are paying him millions so he should be interested enough to follow team rules and show up as required, whether dressing or not.

spyboots
12-11-2012, 10:52 PM
They have to set an example, for one thing. 1. Even if inactive, for home games, you are expected to be there. 2. If they let Mendy slide on this, then they are that anyone inactive is okay not to show up. Have to keep discipline.

NorthCoast
12-11-2012, 11:16 PM
They have to set an example, for one thing. 1. Even if inactive, for home games, you are expected to be there. 2. If they let Mendy slide on this, then they are that anyone inactive is okay not to show up. Have to keep discipline.

Agreed exactly. The same guys here complaining about this suspension, are the ones complaining about the Steelers lacking focus, discipline, etc. Set rules, expect them to be followed, or move on to a team that doesn't care about rules (like the Raiders).

SteelCrazy
12-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Fine him 5,000 bucks, but dont suspend him. I really dont want the guy back next year (or Dwyer for that matter), but suspended for 1 game seems excessive to me. However its apparent I'm wrong.

pittpete
12-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Maybe this is the move that lights a fire under these slackers butts.
Mendy was a 1st round pick
Mendy is in his contract year
He needed to perform and failed to do so.
Probably a lot more going on than we know about.
Reminds me of Ricky Williams situation except Mendy is high on life

Slapstick
12-12-2012, 07:14 AM
There's a real feeling of pettiness this season in Pittsburgh- most notably in the reaction to Wallace not signing his contract offer, and then seeing Brown offered essentially mike's money in a "well, if you won't sign, we'll give it to this guy" kind of deal... and now having Mendenhall sit as a healthy inactive even though he wasn't the Lone Ranger in the fumbleathon.

Does he deserve suspension? Yeah, why not. He's gone next year. So is Wallace. But the treatment both have recieved from the FO has been really petty, and not overly proffesional.

I disagree.

To say that the Steelers "gave Brown Mike's money" would imply that the Steelers had no other reason to sign Brown and only gave him a contract out of spite. I don't think that's accurate. I think that the Steelers wanted to keep Brown regardless of their situation with Wallace. If Wallace doesn't want to sgin a contract, why would they want to deal with their top 3 WR in free agency in 2013? Brown would have been a RFA along with Sanders and Wallace an UFA. By giving Brown a contract, you've dealt with 1/3 of the problem already. I don't think that's petty...

Mendenhall received a game check for Sunday and didn't show up to the stadium. They paid him for not coming to work. Why should they not recoup that loss? To accuse the Steelers of pettiness in this situation but eaving Mendenhall blameless doesn't make any sense to me...

Ghost
12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
the Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette reported Tuesday night that Mendenhall will be suspended for next Sunday's game at Dallas because he failed to show up for the Chargers game Sunday at Heinz Field, apparently because he was ticked he wasn't going to get -- in Tomlin's words -- "a hat." Mendenhall wasn't just incredibly stupid. He was incredibly selfish.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-mendenhalls-bandwagon-has-lost-final-passenger-665976/#ixzz2EqFXXLKw

Oviedo
12-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Disappointed in Mendenhall but if you act like that pack your bags and move on no matter how talented you are (maybe Mendy and Wallace can share a suitcase). His antics just cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars because teams don't rush out and pay premium dollars to RBs with attitudes and a knee injury on thier resume. RBs are a dime a dozen. Even Ray Rice had limited leverage with his team trying to get a new contract.

Sword
12-12-2012, 09:10 AM
This is epic fail...Even if you don't dress you are there for team work...You have to play as a team to win...
This is like a child not getting his way....
Let him and Wallace pack there backs...

flippy
12-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Mendy has become a bigger douche than Wally. We're starting to have quite a few guys negatively impacting the culture of this team.

Are there any real leaders left amongst the ranks? It doesn't feel like it.

feltdizz
12-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Disappointed in Mendenhall but if you act like that pack your bags and move on no matter how talented you are (maybe Mendy and Wallace can share a suitcase). His antics just cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars because teams don't rush out and pay premium dollars to RBs with attitudes and a knee injury on thier resume. RBs are a dime a dozen. Even Ray Rice had limited leverage with his team trying to get a new contract.

Cam Cameron disagrees :D

Ghost
12-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm positive Duce Staley would have lent Mendy his track suit to wear on the sidelines!

fezziwig
12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm starting to believe Mendenhall is an odd ball when it comes to how he deals with his team, his job, his country.

Chadman
12-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I disagree.

To say that the Steelers "gave Brown Mike's money" would imply that the Steelers had no other reason to sign Brown and only gave him a contract out of spite. I don't think that's accurate. I think that the Steelers wanted to keep Brown regardless of their situation with Wallace. If Wallace doesn't want to sgin a contract, why would they want to deal with their top 3 WR in free agency in 2013? Brown would have been a RFA along with Sanders and Wallace an UFA. By giving Brown a contract, you've dealt with 1/3 of the problem already. I don't think that's petty...

Mendenhall received a game check for Sunday and didn't show up to the stadium. They paid him for not coming to work. Why should they not recoup that loss? To accuse the Steelers of pettiness in this situation but eaving Mendenhall blameless doesn't make any sense to me...

The contract offer was on the table to Wallace, from reports, quite similar to what Brown signed for, and what was it? 2 days after Wallace balked on signing, the Steelers are parading Brown around after they gave him 'Mike's contract'. It was good business- they keep their WR, all good. But you can't think this didn't have elements of "well if you won't sign it, we'll find someone who will" to it.

And just to clarify- wasn't defending Mendy. The pettiness is in making Mendy the healthy inactive after the fumbleathon, even though his RB mates were equally to blame. It's like the FO decided Mendy was more to blame.

But if you want to include Mendy's reaction to sitting, well, that'd be petty too- not turning up is a pretty petty act. Come to think of it, so is Wallace's "hard to concentrate" line of a few days ago.

Oviedo
12-12-2012, 11:20 AM
The contract offer was on the table to Wallace, from reports, quite similar to what Brown signed for, and what was it? 2 days after Wallace balked on signing, the Steelers are parading Brown around after they gave him 'Mike's contract'. It was good business- they keep their WR, all good. But you can't think this didn't have elements of "well if you won't sign it, we'll find someone who will" to it.

And just to clarify- wasn't defending Mendy. The pettiness is in making Mendy the healthy inactive after the fumbleathon, even though his RB mates were equally to blame. It's like the FO decided Mendy was more to blame.

But if you want to include Mendy's reaction to sitting, well, that'd be petty too- not turning up is a pretty petty act. Come to think of it, so is Wallace's "hard to concentrate" line of a few days ago.

Chadman--I think you are 100% off base with the Wallace-Brown situation. Wallace was given every opportunity to sign the contract. There was pobviously a priority list and when Wallace balked it is only natural that they moved to the next priority. The front office knows far better than any of us the cap situation and the stratgies they have for dealing with it. As I have said many times they probably had one $8M contract allocated for the WR position and they offered their 31 priority and he balked so there is no pettiness in giving it to the next guy. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." I really think there was zero "well we'll show you" in this at all. It is just making good business decisions. If they were vindictive they could have just traded Wallace after he refused to sign.

As far as Mendy I think it is again the whole they know they future plan and we don't. They probably took the action they did because they already made the decision they were not going to retain Mendy and therefore why take carries away from the guys who they do plan to keep? They really have to see what they have in Dwyer to make an informed decision about what they do with the RB position in the off season. Can't do that if they are trying to split carries three ways, so eliminating one of the options is not a bad decision. Again a sound decision for the organization if they have already decided on a future course.

phillyesq
12-12-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm positive Duce Staley would have lent Mendy his track suit to wear on the sidelines!

Completely off topic, but at a charity fundraiser the other night, I won an Eagles prize package (I was trying for a Phillies package). The package, in addition to tickets, a helmet signed by a few players. At first, it looked like it was Correll Buckhalter and a name that I didn't immediately recognize, but after seeing the full thing, it included a signature from Duce!

phillyesq
12-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Damn you're quick

I was doing everything I could to distract myself from actual work at that point...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Wow....how did we get here in this conversation??

Mendenhall should not be suspended? He was unjustly punished for fumbling so he should stay home? :wft

This is the NFL, and in being a professional football player there are certain realities in place.

#1 - The coach's decision is gospel. If you want to change his mind then do so with your actions on the field.

#2 - Team comes first

#3 - Violation must result in a harsh punishment

By deciding to not attend the game he made a bold statement. He is severing himself from the team and that cannot be accepted. Whether or not we think that he should have dressed is moot at this point. attendance is not optional. You show up, smile, and await the coaching decision the next week. Anything else is unacceptable.

Starlifter
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
typically in the real world if you don't work you don't get paid. In my career I work under a union contract and if I don't show up - yep, I don't get paid.

so mendy doesn't show, collects his paycheck and the steelers suspend him to recoup their loss. seems like a good business decision to me.

If they have lost faith in his abilities and cut him in the off season, seems like a good football decision to me.

Slapstick
12-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Again, I'm not too sure...

I mean, if Wallace had signed the contract, he would have been the one paraded around by the Steelers, no? I don't think that there was any extra parading to spite Wallace...Brown was the guy who signed the deal...

pfelix73
12-12-2012, 12:43 PM

I agree with what you've said here. Wondering if this is a sign of what's to come with the younger Rooney running the show. I just really don't care for him like I did with his elders... Might be good to get Dan back in Pittsburgh permanently....

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2012, 01:15 PM
typically in the real world if you don't work you don't get paid. In my career I work under a union contract and if I don't show up - yep, I don't get paid.

so mendy doesn't show, collects his paycheck and the steelers suspend him to recoup their loss. seems like a good business decision to me.

If they have lost faith in his abilities and cut him in the off season, seems like a good football decision to me.

They don't need to cut him in the offseason. His contract will be up. He's an unrestricted free agent, available to sign anywhere once this season is over.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I agree with what you've said here. Wondering if this is a sign of what's to come with the younger Rooney running the show. I just really don't care for him like I did with his elders... Might be good to get Dan back in Pittsburgh permanently....

Well, Dan's in his 80's now...at that age, there is no such thing as "permanently" anymore. He's 5 years older than LeBeau, who many want to get rid of because of his age. Art II has now been President of the Steelers for a solid decade after Dan handed the reins to his son in 2002, becoming Chairman of the Steelers instead (and then Ambassador to Ireland in 2009). The Chief appointed his son Dan team president in 1975 at age 43 (at the beginning of our first run of Super Bowls), and Dan appointed his son Art II team president in 2002 at age 50 (at the beginning of our second run of Super Bowls). Art II has presided over 3 Super Bowls and 2 championships while in charge of the team. By the way, the "younger Rooney" isn't exactly a spring chicken himself anymore...Art II turned 60 early in this season...he's no kid.

flippy
12-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Well, Dan's in his 80's now...at that age, there is no such thing as "permanently" anymore. He's 5 years older than LeBeau, who many want to get rid of because of his age. Art II has now been President of the Steelers for a solid decade after Dan handed the reins to his son in 2002, becoming Chairman of the Steelers instead (and then Ambassador to Ireland in 2009). The Chief appointed his son Dan team president in 1975 at age 43 (at the beginning of our first run of Super Bowls), and Dan appointed his son Art II team president in 2002 at age 50 (at the beginning of our second run of Super Bowls). Art II has presided over 3 Super Bowls and 2 championships while in charge of the team. By the way, the "younger Rooney" isn't exactly a spring chicken himself anymore...Art II turned 60 early in this season...he's no kid.

If Lebeau can't coach, clearly Dan can't own ;)

pfelix73
12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Dan could run the team if he really wanted to, but obviously he doesn't. I know of a Chair/CEO of a bigger company in PA than the Steelers and he was well into his 80's before he sold the company. Just saying- it could be done.

Anyway- I personally never cared for Art II as he comes across negatively at times. I just prefer Dan the Man over Artie II, but age catches up. Maybe whoever is next in line after Artie II will be a better owner.....

Ghost
12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
"You kids there...get off my lawn!" - Art II

lloydroid
12-12-2012, 03:34 PM

Mendenhall should not be suspended? He was unjustly punished for fumbling so he should stay home? :wft

This is the NFL, and in being a professional football player there are certain realities in place.

#1 - The coach's decision is gospel. If you want to change his mind then do so with your actions on the field.

#2 - Team comes first

By deciding to not attend the game he made a bold statement. He is severing himself from the team and that cannot be accepted. Whether or not we think that he should have dressed is moot at this point. attendance is not optional. You show up, smile, and await the coaching decision the next week. Anything else is unacceptable.

And the fact that this may have escaped RM's perceptions is a loud noise in itself. Either he didn't realize it, or didn't care - both are very bad signs.

lloydroid
12-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Dan could run the team if he really wanted to, but obviously he doesn't. I know of a Chair/CEO of a bigger company in PA than the Steelers and he was well into his 80's before he sold the company. Just saying- it could be done.

Anyway- I personally never cared for Art II as he comes across negatively at times. I just prefer Dan the Man over Artie II, but age catches up. Maybe whoever is next in line after Artie II will be a better owner.....

It is not the norm for an 80-plus year old to run large companies. Have you seen Dan lately? Have you seen him at the Super Bowl ceremonies, where trying to hold the Lombardi Trophy nearly killed him? I prefer Art 2. He makes the changes that need made, as opposed to Dan who's motto was "Don't rock the boat" to too high of an extreme, as you would expect from an 80-year-old. I appreciate Dan's service over the years, but it was long overdue for him to step down when he did.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-12-2012, 04:19 PM
And the fact that this may have escaped RM's perceptions is a loud noise in itself. Either he didn't realize it, or didn't care - both are very bad signs.

Not the perception that you want out in the market as you enter free agency. At the very least he should have just followed the program and then left in the off season to someone who still believes that he could succeed in this league. Nobody wants an underachieving troublemaker.

Oviedo
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
It is not the norm for an 80-plus year old to run large companies. Have you seen Dan lately? Have you seen him at the Super Bowl ceremonies, where trying to hold the Lombardi Trophy nearly killed him? I prefer Art 2. He makes the changes that need made, as opposed to Dan who's motto was "Don't rock the boat" to too high of an extreme, as you would expect from an 80-year-old. I appreciate Dan's service over the years, but it was long overdue for him to step down when he did.

You mean like 81 year old Warren Buffet at Berkshire Hathaway?

An NFL team is not a normal large company and especially the Steelers which is more like a family business.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2012, 04:29 PM
"You kids there...get off my lawn!" - Art II

He says this every year after the 4 high school football championship games at Heinz on Thanksgiving weekend, after which the field needs to be re-sodded. ;)

steelblood
12-12-2012, 04:38 PM

I'm a Dwyer fan. I was thrilled when we drafted him. But, he still hasn't proven much in my book. After his two 100 yard games this season, Redman showed up and looked even better against the Giants. That game against the Giants (on a bumb wheel no less) was the best performance by a Steelers running back this season. Since then, all the Steelers backs have looked very average. At this point, I like Dwyer in our running back stable, but he has not proven that he is a legitimate #1 running back.

Oviedo
12-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm a Dwyer fan. I was thrilled when we drafted him. But, he still hasn't proven much in my book. After his two 100 yard games this season, Redman showed up and looked even better against the Giants. That game against the Giants (on a bumb wheel no less) was the best performance by a Steelers running back this season. Since then, all the Steelers backs have looked very average. At this point, I like Dwyer in our running back stable, but he has not proven that he is a legitimate #1 running back.

I am of a similar mind. I really liked Dwyer but as you say, let's see some consistency. We see flashes here and there but he needs to bring it up a level.

lloydroid
12-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Not the perception that you want out in the market as you enter free agency. At the very least he should have just followed the program and then left in the off season to someone who still believes that he could succeed in this league. Nobody wants an underachieving troublemaker.

I just can't imagine what was going through his noggin when he decided to not show. You know the saying, "Feed your ego or feed your family." He could have just went through the motions and landed a decent new contract some where. But, damn, this can't be helping things along those lines.

pfelix73
12-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Need to stop stereotyping people. An 80+ year old can't handle a big company? That's just rediculous statment on your part.

lloydroid
12-12-2012, 06:16 PM
You mean like 81 year old Warren Buffet at Berkshire Hathaway?

An NFL team is not a normal large company and especially the Steelers which is more like a family business.

Again, is Buffet the norm or the exception? And I doubt he is doing much day to day CEO stuff at this point, probably takes naps in the middle of the day. Why not? And I disagree: Running an NFL team still requires ONE MAIN DECISION MAKER who has to make the final call on all major issues. You can't run an organization successfully any other way. The CEO should LISTEN to all opinions from his trusted board (family members) but still it is up to ONE PERSON to make the final, large decisions, such as what direction to go in personnel, coaches, policies, etc. If that person has a "let's not make any waves, let's keep everything the same" when the situation is demanding to make changes, it will hurt the chances of success. Let's say, for example, that you are CEO of McDonald's. And your sales are plummeting because more and more consumers are weary of the impact of fast food. Let's say your sales drop 30% but your attitude is, "Let's keep things as they are and not rock the boat." Well, by not adding some healthy food choices, you are allowing the company to lose too much $. The exact same could be said for managing an NFL team. Dan never wanted to make changes, to a fault. It wasn't until Art 2 stepped in and proclaimed, "I think coach Cowher knows it's time to win a Super Bowl" instead of the "Mr. Nicey Nice" approach from Dan that lit a fire in this team's butt and got them over the top. If they only had the Sr. Citizen approach of keeping everything the same for the sake of not making any waves, they would not have won a ring in 2005. As a matter of fact, it Art 2 didn't get involved in the draft (as Dan was not), we would have ended up with an OT instead of Big Ben. Just think of the ramifications of that. That genius Cowher wanted the OT that went to Philly. Had Art not got involved, Ben would be on another team right now. But, naaaaaa, we would have been fine with the 80-year-old as CEO.

pfelix73
12-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Point is, there are quite a few in that age bracket that can handle daily duties of a large company just fine.. Why? because they choose to and don't anything else. Person I'm referring to has done it for 60 years....

Your talk above is rediculous. A CEO would make a change, regardless... Anyway..... off topic.... moving on....whatever.... I'll still take Dan over his son Artie....

eniparadoxgma
12-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Exactly.

Fine him 5,000 bucks, but dont suspend him. I really dont want the guy back next year (or Dwyer for that matter), but suspended for 1 game seems excessive to me. However its apparent I'm wrong.

Exactly. :)

#2 - Team comes first

Exactly.

Was that the game he had all the catches in? My memory sucks wicker baskets.

Also, exactly.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Again, is Buffet the norm or the exception? And I doubt he is doing much day to day CEO stuff at this point, probably takes naps in the middle of the day. Why not? And I disagree: Running an NFL team still requires ONE MAIN DECISION MAKER who has to make the final call on all major issues. You can't run an organization successfully any other way. The CEO should LISTEN to all opinions from his trusted board (family members) but still it is up to ONE PERSON to make the final, large decisions, such as what direction to go in personnel, coaches, policies, etc. If that person has a "let's not make any waves, let's keep everything the same" when the situation is demanding to make changes, it will hurt the chances of success. Let's say, for example, that you are CEO of McDonald's. And your sales are plummeting because more and more consumers are weary of the impact of fast food. Let's say your sales drop 30% but your attitude is, "Let's keep things as they are and not rock the boat." Well, by not adding some healthy food choices, you are allowing the company to lose too much $. The exact same could be said for managing an NFL team. Dan never wanted to make changes, to a fault. It wasn't until Art 2 stepped in and proclaimed, "I think coach Cowher knows it's time to win a Super Bowl" instead of the "Mr. Nicey Nice" approach from Dan that lit a fire in this team's butt and got them over the top. If they only had the Sr. Citizen approach of keeping everything the same for the sake of not making any waves, they would not have won a ring in 2005. As a matter of fact, it Art 2 didn't get involved in the draft (as Dan was not), we would have ended up with an OT instead of Big Ben. Just think of the ramifications of that. That genius Cowher wanted the OT that went to Philly. Had Art not got involved, Ben would be on another team right now. But, naaaaaa, we would have been fine with the 80-year-old as CEO.

I believe it was Dan who stood up for Ben in that draft, not Art.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2012, 08:25 PM
My memory sucks wicker baskets.

:lol: Folks who weren't around for the Trib days don't realize how funny that is!

Chadman
12-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Again, I'm not too sure...

I mean, if Wallace had signed the contract, he would have been the one paraded around by the Steelers, no? I don't think that there was any extra parading to spite Wallace...Brown was the guy who signed the deal...

Agreed- if Wallace had signed, they sure would have paraded him around. The difference is though, that they were negotiating with Wallace, then when he baulked, negotiations ended & they signed Brown to the money reportedly offered to Wallace. At no time was Brown even talked about in getting a contract extension until this point- and despite his obvious worth, the deal given to Brown looks inflated for a guy with such a limited production in his resume. BEFORE Brown signed his deal, who would have thought he was actually going to command that sort of coin for his second contract?

From where Chadman sits, the Steelers had a WR with multiple years of production demanding a big payday, and when he rejected what the Steelers offered him, they took that contract, changed the name on the dotted line, and offered it to the nexy guy in line, who realistically, couldn't have demanded the contract Walace wanted- simply no track record to merit such a large contract. By signing Brown, they effectively punted Wallace for next season. Whereas, if they signed Wllace, they could have struck a more cap friendly deal with Brown.

but if you forget the percieved worth of both guys & simply look at the timetable- they offered Wallace a contract. He rejected it. 2 days later Brown signs a contract that is reportedly similar to what they offered Wallace, and Wallace negotiations end. Does that not look remotely like "if you won't sign it, we'll find someone who will" to you?

fordfixer
12-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Mendenhall said to the Steelers

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-8-oFxCKcJL7dyL0OyDMD1GkvwuGhBCc03n8CkMHGICFDSkvV

Chadman
12-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Chadman--I think you are 100% off base with the Wallace-Brown situation. Wallace was given every opportunity to sign the contract. There was pobviously a priority list and when Wallace balked it is only natural that they moved to the next priority. The front office knows far better than any of us the cap situation and the stratgies they have for dealing with it. As I have said many times they probably had one $8M contract allocated for the WR position and they offered their 31 priority and he balked so there is no pettiness in giving it to the next guy. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." I really think there was zero "well we'll show you" in this at all. It is just making good business decisions. If they were vindictive they could have just traded Wallace after he refused to sign.

As far as Mendy I think it is again the whole they know they future plan and we don't. They probably took the action they did because they already made the decision they were not going to retain Mendy and therefore why take carries away from the guys who they do plan to keep? They really have to see what they have in Dwyer to make an informed decision about what they do with the RB position in the off season. Can't do that if they are trying to split carries three ways, so eliminating one of the options is not a bad decision. Again a sound decision for the organization if they have already decided on a future course.

Wallace was given every opportunity to sign the contract offered by the Steelers, but he wanted more. Then they offered that money to Brown, and contract negotiations with Wallace stopped. Ok- yes, they gave Wallace the opportunity to sign. But when baulked at their offer, they didn't try to 'work it out'. They took that deal, gave it to the next guy in line, and effectively shut the door on Wallace getting a contract similar to what he was after. Now- that might be good business- who can say? But it still looks like the Steelers picked up their bat & ball & stopped playing With Wallace when he didn't do what they wanted.

As for Mendy- under your premise there, the FO must have given up on the season, or believe that Mendy offers them less opportunity to win any remaining games than some of the scrubs on ST. They might very well have decided that Dwyer/Redman are better options, going forward, but if Mendy was good enough to be on the roster at the beginning of the season, he's good enough now. Having him sit as a healthy inactive suggests that your former 1st round pick is a worse player and offers less than, say, 3rd string OG's or 4th OLB's.

Slapstick
12-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Agreed- if Wallace had signed, they sure would have paraded him around. The difference is though, that they were negotiating with Wallace, then when he baulked, negotiations ended & they signed Brown to the money reportedly offered to Wallace. At no time was Brown even talked about in getting a contract extension until this point- and despite his obvious worth, the deal given to Brown looks inflated for a guy with such a limited production in his resume. BEFORE Brown signed his deal, who would have thought he was actually going to command that sort of coin for his second contract?

From where Chadman sits, the Steelers had a WR with multiple years of production demanding a big payday, and when he rejected what the Steelers offered him, they took that contract, changed the name on the dotted line, and offered it to the nexy guy in line, who realistically, couldn't have demanded the contract Walace wanted- simply no track record to merit such a large contract. By signing Brown, they effectively punted Wallace for next season. Whereas, if they signed Wllace, they could have struck a more cap friendly deal with Brown.

but if you forget the percieved worth of both guys & simply look at the timetable- they offered Wallace a contract. He rejected it. 2 days later Brown signs a contract that is reportedly similar to what they offered Wallace, and Wallace negotiations end. Does that not look remotely like "if you won't sign it, we'll find someone who will" to you?

Again...

Brown was not offered he same contract as Wallace...if you look at the numbers, the contract isn't inflated at all for a starting WR and is friendlier to the cap than you may realize...while the total value of the contract may have been nominally similar, Brown's contract (most likely) had far less guaranteed money than Wallace's...if not, and that was the contract offered to Wallace, I could see why he wouldn't want to sign it...but, I doubt that...

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Clark, the Steelers‘ players union representative, understands why coach Mike Tomlin is upset that Rashard Mendenhall was a no-show Sunday, even though he knew he wasn‘t playing. As Clark said, what if the circumstances change on game day? “I‘m an inactive player and I know I‘m not playing because I‘m a healthy scratch. But what if Troy (Polamalu) wakes up in the morning and his foot swells? You can be put up (to play). So that‘s why you want a guy at the game, from my perspective.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118297-85/wallace-roethlisberger-steelers#ixzz2F4A0XzR3

fordfixer
12-14-2012, 11:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000109988/article/rashard-mendenhall-believes-steelers-still-want-him?akmobile=android-tablet&campaign=Ext_Email_NL_15_PIT&cvosrc=Ext.Email.NL.15.PIT

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
Published: Dec. 12, 2012 at 08:45 a.m. Updated: Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:33 p.m.

Rashard Mendenhall knew he would be inactive for the Pittsburgh Steelers' Week 14 game against the San Diego Chargers, so he decided not to show up for it, according to NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala.

Now Mendenhall has been suspended for a week, the Steelers announced Tuesday.

With just three weeks left in the season and his contract running out, it wouldn't be surprising if Mendenhall doesn't play for the Steelers ever again. But Mendenhall, who believed the team gave up on him before the suspension, now believes he's still in the Steelers' plans.

Kinkhabwala reports, citing a source close to the player, that the suspension led to "a lot of positive conversation" between the Steelers and Mendenhall, and he now believes he will be a factor down the stretch.

"I really believe Rashard is going to come back with great energy and great excitement," Mendenhall's agent, Mike McCartney, told Kinkhabwala. "He's going to embrace his teammates and his team, and he could be a huge part of a playoff run."

Mendenhall figures to be one of the more interesting free-agent running backs on the market this offseason. McCartney knows as well as anyone that this act of petulance in the middle of a playoff run isn't going to help his client.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

fezziwig
12-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Mendenhall has not had a good enough career to act like a troublesome player IMHO. Always seems like runningbacks and receivers are the biggest head cases in the NFL.

flippy
12-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Mendy let us down
Wally too but he gets hat
Doesn't seem too fair.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Mendy let us down
Doesn't seem too fair.

Rashard Mendenhall:
Tweets About Osama's Death,
Super Bowl Fumble.

squidkid
12-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Mendy let us down
Doesn't seem too fair.

he's a slave, remember?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Rashard Mendenhall:
Tweets About Osama's Death,
Super Bowl Fumble.

Mendy suspended ...
Superbowl - can it be ours?
Where is Franco now?

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2012, 02:02 AM
he's a slave, remember?

Mendy is a slave
at times he tries to act brave
but then he fumbles

DukieBoy
12-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Mendy said it first
History of meaning in word
Roberto's ears burn

papillon
12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Mendy said it first
History of meaning in word
Roberto's ears burn

Mendy same sentence
with Roberto should never
ever again be

Pappy

flippy
12-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Menden Bin Laden
Spinderella's Ugly Sis
Twitter Fool, Cut Him

Discipline of Steel
12-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Suspendenhall out,
Steelers win the Super Bowl,
Plays fool, not football.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Rashard Mendenhall, Steelers to talk

Updated: December 16, 2012
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Despite being suspended for Sunday's game against the Cowboys, Rashard Mendenhall and the Pittsburgh Steelers are communicating and committing to meaningful contractual conversation with the running back's deal expiring this offseason, according to sources.

The fact the two sides are communicating is an encouraging sign, because it didn't happen the two weeks leading up to Mendenhall's one-game suspension.

He will be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Also, Mendenhall was informed by his friends, not his coaches, that he had lost his starting job two weeks ago to Jonathan Dwyer, sources said.

Then he found out he was being deactivated against Baltimore when he arrived at the stadium and found his locker empty.

His suspension, announced last Tuesday, stems from Mendenhall's absence from Heinz Field last Sunday after he was told by the team he would not dress against the Chargers, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.

Pittsburgh's leading rusher for the past three seasons, Mendenhall is expected to be with the Steelers on Monday in preparation for the Week 16 game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Mendenhall has been inactive for the past two games since fumbling twice on four carries in Cleveland.

Mendenhall also has been slowed this season by injuries. He tore the ACL in his right knee in Week 17 last season and didn't return until Oct. 4 this year. His return didn't last long, though, as he strained his right Achilles four days later.

Mendenhall's recent injuries have allowed for increased production out of Dwyer, Isaac Redman and even rookie Chris Rainey.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8751797/rashard-mendenhall-pittsburgh-steelers-discuss-deal-sources

pittpete
12-16-2012, 02:12 PM
I thought the Steelers didnt talk contract during the season?
Just BS from Schefter?

DukieBoy
12-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Mendy same sentence
with Roberto should never
ever again be

Pappy

Great Twenty-One
Voice for respect and equality
Proud of heritage

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2012, 04:20 PM
What are Steelers thinking with Mendenhall?

December, 16, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Steelers suspended running back Rashard Mendenhall earlier this week. Now, there's word that the team is committed to meaningful contractual conversation with Mendenhall this offseason, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

This is a mistake and it goes beyond the suspension. Mendenhall, who is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, has been banged-up this season and his play was declining last season even before his severe knee injury. The Steelers lost faith in him after he fumbled twice on four carries in Cleveland, which is why he was been inactive for two games prior to the suspension.

So, why are the Steelers thinking of re-signing Mendenhall? Honestly, I'm confused. The Steelers will bring back Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, both of whom are restricted free agents. This is also a prime time to get younger at this position and take a running back early in the draft. Teams have been able to have success with rookie running backs, and you don't have to take one in the top five like Trent Richardson. Doug Martin, David Wilson and Alfred Morris have been instant producers in their first season in the league.

There has been talk that the Steelers aren't furious with Mendenhall for him not showing up for last Sunday's game, which led to his suspension. In fact, the Steelers could've suspended Mendenhall four games. So, sitting him for one game is a slap on the wrist in comparison.

But it's a bad idea to bring back Mendenhall, and this is about what everyone has seen on the field. He doesn't run in between the tackles. He is too quick to bounce the ball to the outside, which has upset the Steelers' offensive linemen.

The Steelers usually make sound decisions in the offseason. Keeping Mendenhall wouldn't be one of them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/61371/what-are-steelers-thinking-with-mendenhall